The scoop on 'Summerstone Nursery'

Summerstone Nursery

Morrison, Tennessee 37357 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Autumn Ridge Nursery (aka autumnridgenursery.com)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative ssokaj
Graysville, PA
April 14, 2014
I placed an order w/ Summerstone Nursery totaling $68.10. More than half of the plants died or were dead on arrival because they never grew or produced more than a leaf and then died. I received the plants in the spring and sent my replacement form in the fall hoping to receive new plants the following spring (as promised). I did not send the dead sticks or root balls back to Summerstone when I sent the reorder form. There was never a response from Summerstone and when I attempted to call, the phone rang and rang and rang w/ no answer. I, instead, contacted them via email to ask about my replacement plants and gave them my phone# also. There was no response from them either by email or phone.

It is two years later and I attempted another phone call. This time I did speak w/ someone but was told that because I did not return the dead material there will be no replacement.

I will not purchase from them again.
Neutral dktucson
Picture Rocks, AZ
April 11, 2014
Posted on April 5, 2014, updated April 11, 2014
Posted on March 28, 2014, updated April 5, 2014
Posted on March 26, 2014, updated March 28, 2014
Like a lot of folks posting..I ordered then saw the negative reviews and was worried i had been suckered. About 2 weeks after ordering my plants arrived in a box with the bare root ball encased in still-moist newspaper. Some of the root systems looked better than others--I would say the grape & blackberry looked the worse for the wear. All the plants have green showing when you scratch the bark--none are what i would call dead dry. some had signs of green buds peeking out which surprised the hell out of me. All are soaking in a tub of water overnight & I plan on potting them first before commiting them to holes in the ground--wish me luck
On March 28th, 2014, dktucson added the following:

additional stuff--in looking at the plants, summerstone shipped extras--I have 2 persimmons , 2 grapes and 3 "strands" of blackberry shoots . I ordered a bing & lapine cherry, both cherries were larger 3-4 ft size but one had a very limited root system. I'm not a Phd in horticulture so maybe thats normal for that species--like said earlier--wish me luck
On April 5th, 2014, dktucson added the following:

update 4/4/2014: soaked the bare-roots and put them in starter pots. in a bit over a weeks time the red crape myrtle (free plant) has sprouted . The 2 cherries and one persimmon and one tuilp polar are showing signs of emergence but no leaves officially..nubs where they were smooth previously. Still awaiting activity on a 5-in-1 orchard graft, the other persimmon, the grapes (free) and blackberries (free)...The grapes looked the saddest upon arrival & I'm not expecting much.
I'll keep posting as they progress--good or bad.
On April 11th, 2014, dktucson changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

update--the lapine cherry looks like a goner, no green when scratching the bark. bing cherry is OK. 5-in-1 graft has buds/green popping out all over. little activity on the persimmons--small nubs. Changing rating to neutral
Negative texpug
Gorman, TX
March 31, 2014
ordered several tomato and pepper plants before seeing the info on this company - so of course was worried and with good reason-- when the order arrived after several weeks-- the tomato plants (14) were nothing but a dead stem in some kind of very dry planting medium - none of which I could save - the peppers were not much better - out of 12 plants I have managed to salvage 2 plants - the 2 "free" grape vines were nothing but dead stems wrapped in dry paper towels --- very disappointed and will never order here again -- worse company for plants I have ever used!!!!!!
Negative rwalli
Knoxville, TN
March 8, 2014
Beware! Summerstone charged my credit card the same day I placed an order, which was to be shipped in two weeks. They never shipped -- and they won't acknowledge my e-mails asking them to cancel the order and issue a refund. DO NOT TRUST THESE THIEVES. They have earned an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Negative Gabbypepper
Lauderdale Lakes, FL
February 28, 2014
Charged our credit card immediately, shipped almost 2 months later, due to weather, they said. They sent dead twigs. No refund policy. Our bad for not checking them out first. We learned to never buy until we check the vendor out here and at the BBB.
Negative grandbayou
Coushatta, LA
February 22, 2014
Ordered fruit trees from them...when they came in they said they were dormant, but they were dead...after hassling them over the order they agreed to send replacement trees...all of them were dead but one and it broke off of the graft and died...contacted the BBB and they couldn't get them to answer the phone or emails...finally got in touch with them early this year ( after acting like I was a new customer) and they sent me the same old lame form to send them money for replacement trees...still email them weekly requesting a refund or live trees. BBB sent me a government place to file a complaint with but they will probably just pop up with a different name and start over...nice scam selling dead trees and then requesting 40% more to send you some more dead trees.
Neutral Cymbelina
Prattville, AL (Zone 8a)
October 9, 2013
Just wanted to update everyone on this company. I just received a catalog from them this week and having learned my lesson from buying without checking here first, I checked on Garden Watchdog. The catalog listed Summerstone Nursery, P.O. Box 274, Morrison TN as the address. I typed in the name and got a "No companies found!" response. So I typed in the zip code to see if it was maybe had another company with a similar name...no luck. So then I went to find their website and googled it and got a review page from Garden Watchdog on the same name. Well, the address is different but the name and state, etc. are the same. It's pretty apparent that they have just gotten a P.O. Box so they could keep scamming. I'm so glad I wasn't suckered in by their low prices and I found this page on Garden Watchdog. How can we list this so it comes up under the search because I'm not the only one they're mailing to, I'm sure. Thanks Dave and thanks GW!
Neutral sped0716
Newport, TN
October 3, 2013
I ordered a Pink Dogwood tree and got a Pear tree for free. The dogwood was DOA. The pear tree lasted a couple days. I contacted them, and they sent me a request form for new plants. I sent it to the address on the form and it was sent back to me as no such address. I finally found the correct address online. I am suppose to be receiving my duplicate trees this month. It was for my mother for mother's day, so it will only 5 months late.
Negative pussy_willow
Devola, OH
August 1, 2013
Posted on September 11, 2011, updated August 1, 2013
EVERYTHING SHOWED UP D.O.A. !! I have NEVER received such poor quality plants from anyone, anywhere before! Their catalog does NOT say whether the plants are shipped live or dormant... so considering I am new at Southern Gardening, I thought I would call for information. Well I was assured by 2 'associates' I spoke with that my hybrid tea roses would not only be between 1 and 2 feet tall, but that they were live and had FOLIAGE! I placed an order for 16 HTR's (at $9ea) 6 rhododendrons, 4 hydrangeas, 2 patio rose trees, and 8 double-blue balloon flowers. EVERYTHING showed up dead including my "free gift" stella d'oro daylilies. Not dormant-DEAD. When I called on a Saturday (don't ever try THAT!!) the man who answered kept telling me that no, nothing is shipped with foliage, and I was wrong, none of it was dead, and how HE didn't take orders OR pack them so it wasn't HIS problem!! OMG when I finally spoke to a supervisor on Monday I found her to be as disillusioned with Summerstone as I am. She basically told me she had tried over a dozen of the roses she picked for herself and managed to get 2 of them going. She was very nice and re-shipped my entire close to $300.00 order, but it was in even worse shape. Dead AND soggy. Out of everything I have, I have managed to salvage 2 tiny double blue balloon flowers and over the entire summer I have nurtured them. This is my first time with this perennial and also my first summer of gardening in Mississippi rather than Ohio. I have done very well with all the plants I have bought myself at various local nurseries and my roses I put out from bags in March are enormous. I'm sad that the beautiful, yellow, purple, white and red rose garden I envisioned has yet to be. i wish I'd spent the money on raising my beds instead. Just FYI, some of the employees are okay to deal with but this is a rip-off racket; don't expect anything if you do order from them, and don't even think about trying to get your money back!!!
On August 1st, 2013, pussy_willow added the following:

**ALSO the review left by Whirlwind2000 on the bottom of page one of 'negative Comments' is 100% accurate! "The Stella's D'oro" did indeed revive in my plant cemetery. It was a HASTA though, while I do like Hastas, i didn't particularly want one, but in the end, it grew so large, and spread so much, I was able to use it as ground cover near my Gardenia bushes (6 foot tall bushes) to cover the dirt and mud where grass doesn't grow. BEWARE ordering from 'Scammerstone Nursery' if you are still intent on doing so. I now know that all mail-order nurseries ship dormant, and the claim that I would receive live foliage plants was ridiculous. i didn't know better at the time. However; I DID follow ALL instructions and everything stayed dead. of course, they are a 'No Refund' company. If a company wont offer refunded monies for poor goods, ALWAYS use caution!!
Negative Crystalmari
Emory, TX
July 21, 2013
Ordered 6 pine trees and a hummingbird vine. They sent a free crape myrtle and this was the only thing that lived. I started calling about 3 weeks after I planted them as the needles on the pines started turning brown and the hummingbird vine did nothing. They said wait about 6 weeks and they should come back. They did not and when I called they said they would replace in the fall. By this time all 6 of the pine trees had broken off and fell over. They said they would send me a form to fill out and then they would send the plants when fall came. Today I got the form, almost a month later, and it stipulates that I have to return the dead trees. I talked to them and even asked if they had to be returned and they said no, just return the form. Now, I can only get a replacement if I pay a portion of the original cost PLUS shipping and handling. I should have looked at this website and the BBB before I ordered.
Negative johnnitek
Wallington, NJ
July 11, 2013
Ordered 4 trees on 4/11/13. Planted. Two trees were dead and two other had green leafs when it was to be PURPLE leaf plums. Contacted company Summerstonenursey 6/4/13. Sent replacement same . Two dead plants and two wrong colored leafs. Called company and they hung up on me. After first order contacted VISA and complained. The sent form to me then charged me interested on disputed amount $50.30. 07/11/13 will contact company again and VISA. DO NOT buy ANYTHING from this company .
Negative salrubino
Scottsdale, AZ
June 13, 2013
ordered 2 Thompson seedless grape plants. Planted them and after four weeks, nothing. I emailed them and asked them what next steps should be. No response until I withheld payment through the credit card company. With no response, I found the plants at my local Walmart @ 1/3 less than I paid to the nursery.

Then I get a letter asking me to pay 1/4 of the original price plus $3.50 in postage to replace the plants that were dead. I don't want the grapes anymore. Nor do I want to throw good money after bad.
Negative EllaRose
Philadelphia
United States
June 10, 2013
Very Angry.

I ordered twice from this company. Last year I ordered a rose and once it finally came and bloomed it was the WRONG ROSE. It was doing well & they never sent me all the info to return it-- so I let it drop.

I ordered again this spring; hoping the wrong order was a fluke. I ordered three roses. ALL of them came with cane borer holes in them. I contacted them and WAITED AND WAITED for a response. Finally a few weeks later I gave them a call (hard to contact during business hours). The woman said she'd send a return form the next day... I waited a week and nothing-- called again and they said they hadn't sent it out yet... but soon it'd be out.

Finally get the form and it says that "your replacement request reach us past our spring shipping schedule" so I won't receive my roses until the Fall, possibly the spring. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I am furious. If I don't get my roses ASAP & in good condition I will NEVER order from them again. I know for a fact RU is still shipping and they are only located a few hours from Summerstone.
Positive cougar01
Butler, PA
June 1, 2013
I placed an order with Summerstone back in April before finding this website. I was a bit nervous after reading the many Negative reviews that have been posted here. I didn't know what to expect, and was relieved that I only spent a small amount. I figured that if things didn't work out, I wasn't out much.

It was only a small order for a Halls Hardy Almond Tree.....and a Canadian Hemlock as my free gift.

The plants arrived in early May. The Halls Hardy Almond tree was bare root and a "stick". The roots were wrapped in wet packing material and a gel. Basically, the same condition I received my other fruit trees from both Stark Nursery (apple(s) and cherry) and Gurneys (pear) earlier in the season. I immediately placed the roots of both plants in a bucket of water to soak for 24 hours. After that time, I planted the Halls Hardy Almond tree in a previously prepared site, and mulched the site to keep it from drying out. Not having a definite spot for the Canadian Hemlock, I simply potted it up.

I waited to write a review to see how both trees would do. I'm happy to say that this past week the Halls Hardy Almond tree has sent out new buds, and the Canadian Hemlock is doing fine in the pot.

If you are expecting trees that look like the pictures in the sales catalog, then go to your local nursery and buy directly form them. If you are buying via mail order (Summerstone, Stark, Gurneys, etc) you will receive a bareroot stick with roots wrapped in some sort of packing material. It's up to you to take the proper steps to get the plants growing. If you don't have the green thumb, then, like I said, go to your local nursery, spend 5x the amount, and buy a plant that is already potted and growing.

After reading the many negative reviews....am I just the "lucky one"? Who knows. But, I cannot fairly give them a bad review at this time. In fact, considering their prices, I will probably place another small order with them in the future as I continue to add to my garden and orchard..
Negative Attica_Farmer
Attica, MI
May 28, 2013
I was looking for small and inexpensive apple trees so I wasn't expecting shooting stars when I opened the box for my recent order but this was way beyond my worst expectations. This was by far the worst shipment of trees and/or shrubs I have ever received and we are on year 7 of reforesting 70 acres. For starters the order was in transit through US mail for 7 full days, by the time they arrived even the gel paks had dried up much less the roots. After unpacking everything, one third of the packaging was a ball of roots that had basically fallen off during shipping. It's pouring rain and I'm going to get these little guys in the dirt to see if I can save even one of them but I have very low expectations.
Negative Mike_R
Commack, NY
May 22, 2013
My experience was HORRIBLE! I ordered 3 cherry trees - 2 arrived as dead twigs & the 3rd arrived snapped in half with no hearty braches (the "free" pompass grass arrived all dried out also). When I spoke to Summerstone customer service the first time, I was assured that I would receive a complete re-shipment of my order. Well, after receiving a shipment notification email & waiting 3 weeks, I called back only to find out that they want me to ship the trees back at my expense & pay 1/4 of the tree's price. Shocked, I reminded the customer service rep that their NUMBER 1 promise of replacement of any trees if I'm not 100% satisfied...
While being put on hold & calling back several times to speak to a manager, I was told that I would get a call back shortly....that was 3 days ago & 10 phone calls later. I placed this order in March & spoke to the first rep as soon as the trees arrived, now its May...the trees are dead & long gone. What do they expect??? I honestly tried to work things out but to NO avail!
Save your money & time - DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM SUMMERSTONE!!!
Negative therder
Lexington, KY
May 15, 2013
I ordered several fruit and nut trees from autumn ridge nursery in 2006. The 2 pecan trees I ordered turned out to be white oaks. I ordered 3 varieties of apple trees which turned out to be crabapples. The 5 in 1 pear tree turned out to be an ornamental pear. To be completely accurate I also ordered an english walnut tree which was correct and is on the way to being a beautiful tree. This company was apparently sued out of business by the TN attorney general and they deserved it. I see they are back in business as summerstone nursery. Their ads look really nice but do not be fooled as I was. I strongly advise anyone reading this not to order from them.
Negative lhuffman615
Bethpage, TN
May 10, 2013
I ordered fruit & nut trees in the spring of 2012. They arrived looking completely dried out & dead. I contacted the company, and they assured me they were just dormant. I planted them with hopes they would bud out. Most never did, so I contacted the company and they sent out replacements. The second shipment didn't look much better & with the season heating up by that time, I decided to pot up the plants and placed them in a shaded area where I could water them easily. Very few of theses plants budded out and grew. I contacted the company again and they said I would have to dig the dead plants up, send them back at my expense and they would replace them in the fall. I did that and in the fall I did receive another shipment. Again the stems of the trees were shriveled and appeared to be dried out. This spring I watched the plants in hopes they would live. Out of 28 fruit & nut trees I ordered, 15 failed to live. I contacted the company again and they have ignored me and will not respond.
Negative CherryMN
Anoka, MN
March 10, 2013
What can I say? There's a reason why they are F-rated by the BBB. If something is too good, it probably is, right? With prices like those advertised, I should have known better. I ordered from Summerstone in Spring 2012. After doing an online order, they mailed me a catalog with a special offer letter. So I thought I would take advantage, and did a second order by mail. Firstly, after my second order was overdue by 2 weeks, I had to call them. The woman I spoke with couldn't find the order, so I had to recite the medium-sized order back to her.

In the end, the quantity of plants they promised did arrive. In fact, I received a few extra plants. The plants were apparently of the correct species/genus. Most, however, had the distinction of being well on their way to a glorious future as the precursor to crude oil---dead plants. Of most of the trees I ordered, there was barely any green under the bark, and no trees made it, save two small maples. The roses were alive, and actually in good shape. The strawberries were barely alive, but amazingly thrived within hours of planting. All other berries and trees were DOA.

I would like to think that I received some live plants merely because whoever is running that operation was too incompetent even to kill everything they have for sale. Really, it was probably just luck. I never wasted another moment trying to get my money back. Clearly these people are scam artists, given the repeated violations over apparently decades. So to you who reads this, caveat emptor. I tried to play my usual hand---being a cheapskate--and I got screwed. There are lots of other decent online nurseries to shop at, and I will review ones that I know tonight and let you know of them. On a positive note, my strawberries (Surecrop) went into winter looking strong and healthy, even staying green into December. In about 3 months I'm looking forward to tasting the one sweet spot out of this sour deal.
Negative rieslabs
Iola, IL
January 21, 2013
My wife purchased 22 (various) trees from this terrible, terrible place. When they arrived, they looked lifeless, but we planted them and watered them for several months. 3 of them made some very small partial leaves but then died. The rest never did anything other than rot away. I called them and they said they would replace the trees in the fall. Nothing ever came. I called them again and the guy basically just laughed at me. DON'T EVEN THINK of ever buying anything from them, EVER is my advice. If my wife had checked out Dave's web site and this nursery before she placed the order, she would have saved us over $131.00 and a whole lot of useless work.
Negative giussepata
Aurora, CO
December 26, 2012
Summerstone nursery is a joke wrapped up into a thief.

I ordered about 20 trees. the apple trees arrived OK but all other fruit trees ( peach, apricots, plums) arrived ungrafted and as twigs. My horses eat bigger alfalfa twigs than summerstone send its trees out as. So I contacted them, returned the trees to a PO box they gave me, at my cost ( $15). and the whole box came back because there is no such PO box. I'm certain it must be a "mistake".
I hate these basturds and hope they eat manure and turn into compost real soon. I hope somebody does some shooting down there. I can't believe they still get a business license by the state of Tennessee.
I gave up, cut my losses and ordered from Van Well nurseryin WA and can already tell they are a real outfit. $15 for a 1/2" tree. They earn their money like I do. I guess I'm not old enough.....stay away, far away from summerstone and all its aliases. Thieves.
Negative virginia0369
Adrian, MI
December 10, 2012
I ordered 10 dwarf fruit trees from this company, I also ordered 5 dwarf fruit trees from another company.
The trees I received from Summerstone Nursery(the 10 trees) showed up and looked like nothing more than twigs. I ordered the exact type of tree that were the same age from another company, these trees were at least 3 times the size of Summerstone trees.
Being completely unsatisfied with Summerstone, I sent them 2 emails ( they never responded). I called them, explaining the situation. The response I got was to send them back at my expense and they would replace them. They refused to reimburse me my money or to pay for return shipping. I will NEVER use this company in the future. I WOULD NOT recommend them to anyone!!!
Negative apseV
Sinking Spring, PA
October 15, 2012
Bought dry root peach tree. Arrived in May with roots frozen solid. Planted anyway per instructions. Did not grow. Asked for replacement. Had to fill out proper form which Summerstone did not send for weeks because they were "out of stamps." Returned dead tree at my expense. Received no replacement. No reply to e-mails. Telephone not answered during posted business hours. This company's business model clearly is to sell inferior stock, not honor guarantees and hope you'll go away.
Negative rosemary1108
Taunton, MA
October 2, 2012
I ordered 2 each, one yellow climbing roses and 2 peach climbing rose plants. I ordered them so by the time they grew, they would be covering our trellis when we got married. WELL - that didn't happen. 2 of the rose plants were dead on arrival and never grew, the other 2 are growing just OK. 3 years and they are still not "climbing" like they said they would. I was told i would have a replacement for them this past spring, but that never happened either! I'm filing a complaint with the BBB. This is absurd!
Negative carpiris
Lees Summit, MO
July 19, 2012
This company's product and customer "service" are deplorable at best. Numerous phone calls and emails have been ignored.
Two original plants died as well as their "free" tree. This company charges for replacements. The replacement never arrived so I have now paid 3 times for 0 rose plants. A customer service rep today told me I should have paid an extra $10 for tracking the shipment (!). Why would I want to pay this company any more money, especially for a service they are in business to provide; i.e. shipping plants.
She also said they could ship my 'replacement' next February. (Any replacement now will be in 2013; my original order was 2011.)
We garden in Missouri --we don't plant roses in the middle of winter.
This is the worst mail order experience with plants in my decades of gardening. Think twice before ordering from this company and read all the reviews online.
Negative xxim
Camas, WA
July 17, 2012
Don't buy bare root roses from them!
I ordered 6 different kinds of bare root roses from their website this spring and have planted them on the ground,taking good care of them.
Last week,they finally started blooming but I found that all of them are "NOT" what I ordered.And they are all the same kind of roses!
What made me confused is all those bare roots were sent with a name tag on,and their names are the same with what I have ordered.So,how did the nursery tag those bare roots?
I called them and a old lady answered the phone said she will send me a replace form and I have to "Dig those roses out and cut the roots to send them back to the nursery as evidence ."And I have been waited for one week and there is no such a "replacement form"sent from them.
Even though I believe that it is a fraud,but as a rose lover,I would rather let them take advantage of then to dig those blooming roses out.
But, PLEASE BE REALLY CAREFUL BUYING THINGS FROM THE SUMMERSTONE NURSERY.
Negative robinhuggles
Cincinnati, OH
July 5, 2012
3 years ago I had recently lost my job to illness and was in remission, money was tight of course but I desperately needed to do something to take my mind off of all the stress & though its hard work I loved to garden & saw it as nurturing, constructive & therapeutic.
For years I had wanted and tried without success to grow a flowering dogwood tree. Its what I wanted more than anything… they cost $80.00 and up at most garden centers so when I did a search on Google and found one for only 8.95 from Summerstone Nursery I was very both leery & excited but when I saw I could garden my whole yard if I spent $60 I could get 3 free plants…. I was ecstatic… now at the time $60 was stretching my budget but I could not resist the idea of building a garden along with my dog wood tree so I pushed my limits and ordered 18 plants, I ordered my tree lots of flowering / showy bushes and perennials that were meant to thrive on my nurturing and make my yard beautiful forever…
Never having delt with internet nurseries before I was admittedly quite disappointed when a bunch of sticks with roots showed up, a number of them had lost the paper tag and I was forced to try to guess what was what…. I even took things to other garden centers trying to find out what was what,….but before I did anything I called the company & did exactly as instructed, I placed them in water immediately for 48 hours….. then I planted each plant that was tagged in the predetermined spot and potted the plants I was not sure of in hopes that they would bloom & let me know what was what….
Bottom line….and sad ending was…. Out of 18 “dormant” plants sent only 5 survived… and the rest of the sticks were dead not dormant….
Out of the 5 that survived…. Only 3 were actually what I ordered & my pink dogwood tree I wanted sooooo bad turned out to be what I believe is a dogwood shrub out of place in the center of my yard hiding the best part of my garden….and I do not find it or its little cluster of “white” flowers to be pleasing in anyway & the pink crapemertle I planted in the “perfect” spot in my back yard is… an unknown wild looking shrub that gets berries and some unattractive tiny white flowers… & I have no idea if its toxic to my dogs or grandchildren! So out of 18 plants and for $60 I got 2 Althea’s that were $ 3.75 each ($ 7.50) & a Pink Spirea $ 3.75 total cost of correct living plants is $11.25…. The first complaint to the company got me a few more dead plants delivered then after that, although I was told they would make things right nothing was sent. And my calls and emails were ignored & or put off…
It was clear they relied on another company to do the shipping…. They just take your order & money and then leave it up to an off site place to handle things…
My therapy garden turned into a truly sad place…I got sick again the next summer and have been sence... so I can not even dig up the unknown bushes….

A few days ago as I looked at the ugly shrub where my pink dogwood was suppose to be, I throught about the complaint I made to the BBB without a response & decided to check them out again…

I was happy to see we are now asked to call :

The Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs at http://tn.gov/consumer/ or 615.741.4737.

And I did I hope you all do too!
Negative Sharon_C
Norman, OK
July 4, 2012
I'll add my experience to this list for anyone who checks here before ordering.
I purchased 2 daylilies from Summerstone in December of 2010. My card was charged that month and my order was to be shipped when spring shipping began. My plants (along with a free Stella De Oro daylily) arrived in mid-February 2011. All were in good condition and, at the time, I was pleased. When they bloomed in May, they were both the wrong color. All 3 were Stella De Oro. I called the company the second week of May 2011 and was told that it was too hot to ship replacements, but that if I called back in September it would be taken care of.
I called again in September of 2011 and the company sent me a claim form. I was told that I should return the form and ship the incorrect plants back COD. When I shipped the incorrect plants COD, I had to pay the shipping and a COD charge, with the understanding that when the package was delivered and Summerstone paid for it, I would be reimbursed by the post office. I heard nothing for a more than a month, so at the end of October 2011, I called the post office. I was told that the returned plants had arrived the 3rd week of September and a notice had been left for Summerstone, but the package had never been picked up. A month after they arrived, they were scanned as unclaimed and sent back to me. I never received them, though I'm sure they'd have been dead anyway, and I was never reimbursed for returning them.
I also called Summerstone at the end of October to find out why my returned order was never claimed and when my replacement plants would arrive. They told me the plants would ship the next week. After calling a second time, my replacement plants arrived the last week of November 2011. They were already dormant for the winter, so I waited for spring....
In mid-April 2012, the replacement plants broke dormancy, and not only were they not the right kind of daylilies, but they weren't even daylilies at all. I had 2 hostas. Almost a year and a half after I was charged for my order, I still didn't have the correct plants and I had paid extra to ship back the unclaimed first plants.
Since that time, I have called and emailed Summerstone to request a refund for my order and they have refused to answer me. They won't reply to my emails, and when I call they tell me I need to call back and speak to someone who isn't there at that time.
At this point I've decided to just call it a lesson learned and order from a company I trust. I don't know if the problem is incompetence, negligence, or just outright dishonesty, but regardless, I echo the sentiments of those who have said don't ever order from this company.
Negative riaria17
Cumberland, IN
June 28, 2012
I ordered last year 2 soaring spirits roses they died shortly after I got them them I paid the money to get replacements and I received them this year the stalks but when they finally bloomed they we pink roses and not my soaring spirits they were regular roses with more than 20 petals. Now I have to pay for shipping to send them back because someone missed marked the roses they still have the tag on them saying that they are soaring spirits and they were supposed to have 5 to 8 petals and large swirl striped pink outside white in the middle not a solid pink with more than 20 petals. I have to pay to send them back and possible get the right roses that I paid for last year twice. now it is going to cost me again to get what I originally ordered and paid for once now I have to pay for the 3rd time for someone elses mistake riaria17
Negative nonasgarden
Leeds, UT
June 28, 2012
I ordered 4 Royal Empress trees and received four dead sticks. They came with no instructions so I put them immediately in water hoping they would live. I then planted them in potting soil. They are still four dead stick. I've ordered from several different catalog companies in the past and, yes, received sticks but the roots are always protected, moist and they grew. Theirs were not...just dried up and no moisture.

How disappointing that they are not a reputable company. Ordering from them again is not an option and I will definitely put out the word to others to avoid doing business with this company.
Negative steiste
SOUTH WEYMOUTH, MA
June 28, 2012
Hello, just a warning for any potential customers...this company is a complete disaster...I wish I read some reviews before ordering...I wasted $90...After placing an order nothing happened for 2 weeks..I called the customer service and they finally shipped the package....I ordered fruit trees, clematis, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries..received dry sticks and tiny plants only..I was told they were in a dormant state and that I had to wait ..of course most of the plants (trees and berries) were completely dead...nothing happened after 2 months...clematis and strawberries- received tiny plants that are not doing well at all...they said they would send me a free replacement in October..I hope they will go bankrupt soon...Cannot believe they dare to fool their customers like this...
Negative ddusza
Boyce, LA
June 13, 2012
I ordered several roses from Summerstone, while most of them came in descent conditions 2 were almost black. I planted them anyways, Waiting 4 weeks, I contacted the nursery by email, because 4 plants died, the two original black ones and two more. I understood that we would be paying 1/3 cost plus $3.95 shipping.

No response. Called - got a nursery worker that said he would transfer me to the "girl" who took care of that, she would have to send me a special form. Transfered then disconnected. Email again- no response. Customer service is GARBAGE, don't look for a replacement from this place, or a backed Guarantee, because they won't stand behind it. If you ordered: you just have to accept that they plants may live or die but what you get is all it will be.
Negative Clara_Bow
San Diego, CA
June 5, 2012
I ordered 3 rose bushes & they were dried sticks, w/ moldy roots (DOA) & packaged in a ridiculous little box w/ newspaper around the roots. My attempts at soaking & planting them could not revive any of them. I emailed the company & they said they are out of roses & will put a note in my file for next spring.
I have never felt so ripped off by an internet company & I think it is terrible that these types of complaints have been going on for years.
Why is this company able to continue to do business & what does it take to close down thieves?
In this terrible economy these horrible people have no problem stealing from the consumer. I have also filed a complaint w/ the BBB, along w/ bunches of other people. I would like a refund for all this trouble; however, I really want to see this company CLOSED.
Negative ianita
Elmont
United States
June 4, 2012
All six of my trees died. I will never ever buy from this company again - you shouldn't either.
Negative storlie
Princeton, MN
June 1, 2012
ibid for the last poster - they are frauds and need to be confronted, because it's more problematic than another example of con-artistry. I ordered pear, apple and cherry trees. about half survived. I called the company, and they said they'd send a form. The form said I could order replacements at 1/4 the cost. So I should be excited about paying less for nothing. The added problematic part is that these people are cons, not nursery people. I have no confidence in the trees that have survived - they are probably some junky seedlings from seeds. The summerstone cons don't know or care. they possibly know nothing about plants and genetics. I think I'll write the attorney general of tennessee and the US.
Negative StevenColorado
Englewood, CO
May 29, 2012
Ordered six trees and got three raspberry plants free. They arrived in a very timely manner in way too small a box. When I opened the box, six dead twigs were there, no buds or leaves, with the roots in a gel. The raspberry plants had full leaves but the leaves were completely dried due to not having been watered properly.

I planted them all ASAP in case the spark of life remained and belatedly did some web research and found out they're basically a fraud. Both telephone numbers written on the package failed to connect. I wrote a nasty letter to them demanding a refund with no answer as yet. Next I notify the attorneys general of TN and CO, and try to get a chargeback.
Negative Pdail
Garner, NC
May 22, 2012
I placed 2 orders on the same day in order to maximize the free plant offer. The second order came one day after the first order and 4 of the rose bushes never produced any growth. They were dead. The labels on the rose bushes were pieces of paper that in many cases had already been torn off in shipment. Now the roses that survived are blooming and NONE of them are what I ordered. Four bushes are the very same and are some kind of small shrub looking roses not at all resembling a hybrid tea rose. I've raised roses for 40 years and know what I'm doing and what the roses are supposed to look like. This company should be forced to refund all the customers and held legally responsible for shipping falsely labeled roses. This company is deplorable, dishonest, and should be investigated and closed.
Negative amneris73
Carbondale, IL
May 19, 2012
I ordered plants almost two weeks ago and have received nothing. Have sent two emails, tried to call them and received a message stating "the mailbox is full, please try again later." I am disgusted and feel I will have to eat the money they deducted from my card. I truly wish I had read reviews of Summerstone BEFORE I placed my order!!!
Negative mschulte
Westminster, SC
May 15, 2012
The company sent a 4' tall peach tree but it had a blight & turned black never saw a speck of green.. received the tree late in the year - late october I believe, so watched it til spring just in case it revived or whatever....no such luck and so I sent them a portion of the tree so they could see what had killed it and they were adament that I must pay 1/4 of the price of a new tree and the shipping (which I had included in the package) talking to customer service was like talking to a two year old No No No...Unreasonable! I would caution anyone from dealing with them in the future especially after I saw their huge number of dissatisfactory ratings.
Positive Aeyla
Lake City, FL
May 9, 2012
Posted on April 9, 2012, updated May 9, 2012
Posted on March 22, 2012, updated April 9, 2012
I ordered two roses from them because I was looking for a specific type that I could not find at my normal on-line nurseries. After the order was placed I noticed they did not have any way to check your order for shipment. This worried me so I looked on-line for reviews and OMG!!! I just got the roses on Monday and soaked them for two days (they look dead). I planted them yesterday and now crossing my fingers. I ordered old fashioned shrub roses for a foundation planting. Now that I hear how most orders are not what they are supposed to be I am nervous because I wanted a specific rose. So if they are not I will have to dig them up and try to find something from another nursery. The places here in town only carry Knock out roses and I am so not interested in them. I wanted something that can withstand the heat and humitiy of Florida and not end up with a ton of fungus problems. Oh well I guess now is the waiting game.
Oh the stella de oro that came free looks good and is already sprouting leaves.
On April 9th, 2012, Aeyla changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

One of the roses is sprouting leaves but they do not look like a shurb rose leaves. I am going to assume I got duped like everyone else. The smaller of the rose is still sticks and I have no hopes for that one since it has been three weeks or so.
I went ahead and ordered replacements from my normal online nursery that has never failed me before. Live and learn I guess.
I am glad I only ordered two plants from them.
To everyone DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!!
On May 9th, 2012, Aeyla changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I guess I may have jumped to negative conclusion because of all the negative comments. The rose that got leaves first is already blooming, and true to form. the second that I thought was dead started sprouting leaves a couple days after my post and now has buds on it. I do not know the color yet but I am sure it is the same as the other. I know because of all the problems I see in the comments I doubt I will order from this company again when there are so many other that I have ordered from and trusted for years. But because my roses are doing great I have to change this to positive.