The scoop on 'Summerstone Nursery'

Summerstone Nursery

Morrison, Tennessee 37357 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Autumn Ridge Nursery (aka

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative kenjo5
Canton, MI
August 3, 2015
Ordered a Francois Rabelais tree rose 5/5/2015.
Got a tree rose on 5/29/2015 labeled as what I ordered but upon
blooming, it was Pink instead of the Red. Emailed Summerstone about the problem but never received a reply.
Negative troutfishing
Woodcliff Lake, NJ
June 30, 2015
Do not purchase anything from this company!
I purchased 3 plum trees 4/12/45 enticed by the low price however you get what you pay for. The plants arrived 4 weeks later an unacceptable amount of time seeing they charged my credit card the day of the order. Like many other customers on this site, the trees were dead upon arrival and also the 2 free plants. The trees looked like they were ripped up from the field and had basically no root system. I have purchased other bare rooted plants before from other companies and knew these plants were dried out and dead. I did plant them but it was no use they are dead. I tried to contact Summerstone -- very difficult to do. This company is far from professional, the phones are always busy or they put you on hold and do not pick you up again. E mails to them are ignored. Got hold of someone today and they wanted proof of purchase sent to them-- I suggested can I fax a copy of the paperwork. They responded the fax machine is turned off for the season. Like I said ( what a professional company) . The fax machine is off for the season??? They want me to send them proof of purchase by mail. I feel I have wasted my money and time with this company and they are far from reputable. I am getting the run around. My advise is stay away from Summerstone Nursery.
Negative eviesdharma
Lake Odessa, MI
June 24, 2015
Ordered fruit trees, plants and flowers. What came was dead and they never sent it all. Filed with the Better Business Bureau and got nothing so far. They do not answer phone or emails. They did not send the "free" items. $80 wasted. They apparently just want to wait people out until they give in and give up.
Negative oma2max
Clear Spring, MD
June 15, 2015
The plants were small and dead. I planted them anyway thinking maybe they only LOOKED dead. Nope, they were dead! Save your money.
Negative harryliu
June 8, 2015
Do not buy from this company! I ordered 2 trees on 04/20/15 and my card was charged the next day, but I never received anything as of today, 06/08/15, despite numerous phone calls and emails.
Negative shisomadness
New York City, NY
May 29, 2015
This place makes me grateful for decent nurseries out there. Throwing plants ripped out of soil into a box and hope for the best? All the berries looked DOA which didn't surprise me since there was no air flow or moisture. And raspberries are hard to kill. I tried to get ahold of somebody, anybody, no luck. One big waste of time.
Negative Firewife777
Independence, KY
May 29, 2015
Like many other people, I received an entirely dead order. This was composed of trees, shrubs, rose bushes, blackberry, raspberry, mulberry canes etc. I have been trying to reach this company for days, dialing up to 50+ times per day only to receive a busy signal. Today I got through on my 40th try, rang once, and was put on hold without ever speaking to a person. Sat on hold for over 10 minutes when their phone disconnected me. Tried again, and after 20+ tries, got through again, same thing, however, I have now been on hold for over an hour, with no one answering. I have sent an email requesting a refund, as when I took delivery directly from the mail man, and then opened the box (completely sealed with tape and no ventilation holes), the temperature inside was over 100 degrees and every plant was baked dry and crispy. I live in Northern Kentucky and it took well over a week for my order to get from Tennessee to me, and yes, they did charge my credit card on the day I placed my order, but they didn't ship anything till early May (2 + weeks after charging me). I paid with a credit card, and called my credit card company to dispute the charge, which now means I don't have to pay the charge until it is resolved. Something to think of if you haven't done this yet. I have emailed the company, and have given them a chance to make it right, but I did say I would be contacting the Tennessee Department of Consumer Affairs as well as the BBB if they refuse to issue a refund. I do not recommend this company to anyone considering buying mail order plants. Customer service is non-existent!!
Negative Hank_B
Lincolnia, VA
May 27, 2015
I don't know if this nursery is criminally incompetent or just criminal. I had an experience very similar to other bad experiences described on Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, most of it happened after I thought I'd cancelled my order. After seeing so many complaints online after I placed my order, I called the nursery to cancel my order. I was told that my order was cancelled and I would receive a refund. Neither happened and, about three weeks after my originally-requested delivery date, I was sent a handful of dead plants and a blueberry bush that was half the size I had ordered. Interestingly enough, this 6-inch blueberry had a tag on it saying it was 12-18 inches.

Three calls and one email to Summerstone over the course of three days failed to reach anyone, so I submitted a complaint to both the Better Business Bureau and the Tennessee Department of Consumer Affairs. Only then did I receive a refund. Yes, I got my money back, but it was only after registering official complaints outside the business. If you've had trouble with Summerstone, I recommend doing the same. It's likely the only way you will get a refund and it's necessary that the BBB and the State of Tennessee have documentation that the same problems continue after years of consumer complaints.
Negative d2003cor
Selden, NY
May 19, 2015
I never checked their reviews before ordering. I had to call 3 times to get product shipped (and even then it came in after planting season started for my area). Product came in mostly dead, items were missing, wrong items were in the shipment, now I'm working on getting credit for what wasn't shipped.
Negative cassipia98
Middleburg, FL
May 18, 2015
The plants were dead.
Negative primrose_b
Lockhart, TX
May 16, 2015
My credit card was charged on April 24, but the order was not shipped until May 11. I received a partial order on May 15. The gel that had been packed around the roots had dried to an orange crust, and the roots were desiccated. One of the plants had had new growth coming up from the roots (it appears that the top died prior to the time the item was boxed, and it was trying to grow back from the crown). It had been languishing in the box long enough for the new growth to turn black and gray and powdery. It appears that the order may have been packed on April 24 when my credit card was charged, but not shipped until May 11. The plants had paper labels that were folded with the print on the inside. When I tried to unfold the labels, they fell apart. So it is impossible to identify the plants that were sent. I can tell which ones were rose bushes, for example, but not what variety they were. The order was incomplete. It's not possible to say exactly what was missing, since the plants I received were not properly labeled, but I should have received 12 plants and only received 9. The company offers to replace items upon return, but it's now too late in the season to ship bare root, and based on the other reviews here, it seems quite likely that I'd receive another batch of dead plants, or perhaps nothing at all, after spending time and money stuffing the mess they sent me into a box and shipping it back to them. I think I'll just try a charge-back on my credit card. I wish I had checked the reviews here first, before placing the order!
Negative MarianL
Spicewood, TX
May 15, 2015
Not one single plant they sent lived. Neither the strawberries nor the trees/bushes. They don't answer emails and when you call the line is busy.
If you finally reach a person, they put you on hold. It does not appear any of their four promises are worth the paper they are written on, so the money for plants is pretty much down the drain.
I ordered a "Tomato Factory" to plant tomatoes in. It arrived as did the two spray bottles of Hot Pepper Wax. As it turned out, those items were very expensive when you consider the dead plants as part of the invoice.
I would NEVER order from these people again and I would not recommend anyone else do so.
Positive bullhonk
Gardendale, AL
May 11, 2015
First of all, I am an advocate for buying local. This does not mean your local Wallyworld. I could not pay the local nursery mark up. So finding a mail nursery 3 hours away was nice. Summerstone seemed like a really good bargain. I ordered $180 dollars’ worth of trees and plants. Probale not a gamble I should of took. I have ordered from starkies and Gurnies so I knew what to expect, sticks to water. Two weeks after I ordered they were sent. 8 days later they come in. The 3 hour tour took 8 days to arrive. That is 8 days of cooking at the post office. When they arrived, they were pretty cooked. I planted and hoped for the best. After 3 weeks about 10 percent of the grew. I read the internet review. What the hell did I do? So I decided a field trip was in order. I gathered up my dead sticks. Note: Strawberries dissolved into the ground.
Note: take more time, Lynchburg Jack Daniels is in the area.
I got that and found the internet reports were right. I was greeted the meanest by a sales person. She would not let me in. She said I had too many trees. She said I just needed to plant them.
Note: she was like 5 years old. And the best sales person there. Her grandpa the owner was taking her to the rodeo.
This is truly a family owned company The three order takers and a secretary. I told them the issue and they replaced the items with beautiful new sticks. They were friendly and highly knowledgeable. I inquired of them some of the internet responses and the frustration of shipping. It sound like it comes from an incompetent post office. I think issues are happening because of this. It looks like it is also a ratio. Only the angry complain. I am very happy with what I received. They are very friendly and helpful. They are not a big bureaucracy and don’t have a lot of technical devices and and gadgets to make them pretty. But if you want a company that cares, Summerstone is there. Their one thing they could do to improve is straighten out the shipping issue. Post office needs to quit proving the government does not work.
Negative dreamersgame
Hermiston, OR
May 4, 2015
Posted on April 17, 2015, updated May 4, 2015
I ordered fruit trees from Summerstone Nursery the end of March. They shipped the trees quickly but the trees and free plants were dead on arrival. I emailed and never received a reply so I called them. The person that I talked to was very nice and said they would ship out new trees. True to their word they did ship out new trees. Trees arrived today 4/17/15 but once again they are dead. Came wrapped in plastic bag with dry newspaper. I called the company again and they tried to tell me they were just dormant. I explained that a live dormant trees limbs will bend not snap. The bark on the trees was dry and rough not smooth like a live tree should be. So they said they would send out new trees again. I requested a refund but was told no because they had replaced the trees for me once already. I regret ordering from this company!! I believe they are sending trees that are already dead when shipped. The free raspberry plants were alive when shipped because they had leaves on them but on arrival the leaves had dried up and turned to powder when touched. I am very unhappy with the quality of the fruit and nut trees that I ordered. The individual that I talked to (Jamie) today said she would go down and oversee the packing and shipment of the new trees. Had to ask her to wait till Monday to ship because they would be in post office over the weekend. I don\'t know what can be done if the third shipment is DOA. Frustrated and upset with the waste of money.
On May 4th, 2015, dreamersgame changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Well here we go again. They shipped my trees out on a Wednesday instead of Monday and I didn't receive them until today, week and half later. Dead again. I soaked my first batch of trees, as was a later comment, in water and miracle grow for bare root stock. But they did not grow. They are truly dead. I have been growing trees for 40 years and this is the worst trees I have ever seen. The last batch they sent me were not even the size I ordered. They were a lot smaller. In between times I ordered trees from Van Wells nursery near Wenatchee and they were wonderful and already have leaves on them. As for Summerstone Nursery I don't know what my options are now.
Negative PatJ1959
Clifton, TX
April 23, 2015
Negative Crepes4Suzette
Ligonier, PA
April 20, 2015
Posted on April 8, 2015, updated April 20, 2015
This place isn\'t taking any responsibility for their e-business and should be avoided like the plague. Ordered over a month ago, called 2 weeks ago and was told plants would be here by now. Called today (31 days since order) and they still hadn\'t even shipped. The phone representative launched right into blaming customers, starting with: \"What people don\'t understand is that we have so many orders coming in.....\". This nursery clearly feels no obligation to ship in a reasonable amount of time and expects customers to wait well into planting season because the company is overwhelmed. I pointed out that it was unreasonable to expect that customers would be OK with waiting for plants indefinitely until it was convenient for Summerstone to get their orders filled (I ordered some specialty plants from eBay that were here in 6 days), but only got more excuses blaming the customer. When I asked when I could expect my refund, the customers service representative had no idea, saying only that she was turning the cancellation over to accounting. I asked for a number for the accounting department (as several commenters had trouble getting a refund), but she was unwilling to produce another number to check on refunds. Will repost if no refund within 2 weeks of today. This place doesn\'t seem set up to do e-business at all.
On April 20th, 2015, Crepes4Suzette added the following:

I've just filed a complaint with the consumer complaint dept. of Tennessee's State's Attorney's Office - will repost with whether they actually help or not. To recap, they verified that they never sent the plants after they told me they'd be here in a month, but aren't able to tell me when my refund will be here - it's been two weeks. SCAM ALERT!!
Positive bobbi_s
Richland, WA (Zone 7a)
April 20, 2015
I have placed an order to Summerstone Nursery, who used to be Autumn Ridge. Their products look like sticks wrapped in newspaper. If you soak the sticks for a day or so in some water with fertilizer, and then plant it with mulch, and some soil such as miracle grow. They will grow. They do look dead, but all of my " sticks" grew, except for one. The one stick grew into a nice American Redbud tree, another one grew into a a crape myrtle, and so on. Now, I am buying more for a different residence. I can hardly wait, and the crape myrtle I ordered is white, and yes, I do believe it will grow provided I do what the instructions state, and although they will look dead, I bet they will grow. Products that are from mail order are just that...sometimes they look dead, but they usually look just fine after a couple of years. Their white crape myrtle is the hardiest myrtle I have ever seen. It grows in Richland, WA which is near Hermiston. The zone is 7a, but this is quite a hardy myrtle.
Negative terrypacifica
Magalia, CA
April 16, 2015
THIS COMPANY WILL IMMEDIATELY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NEVER SEND YOUR PRODUCT OR THE PRODUCT WILL BE DEAD. THE STATE OF TENNESSEE HAVE NOT SHUT THEM DOWN BUT THEY ARE A SCAM. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. we have very little money for food and spent a large portion of out budget on plants that i was told were being shipped but never arrived. i cannot believe they are still in business. no one has had a positive experience in over a year with this agency. coincidence? i think not.
Negative pepper1966
Kingsville, OH
April 10, 2015
ALL I CAN SAY IS BUYERS BEWARE!!! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!! I purchased in june 2014....dead plants...emailed for two months. Finally got back to me in Nov.2014. it was a battle...reported to Tenn.BB. they told them a story I bought plants in 2013 over ayear ago. I sent all my emails and receipts to BB. when they tried to get a hold of company again no answer or reply. sent all my info to my credit card and got it taken off. VERY EXPENSIVE LESSON LEARNED>this so called company needs to be shut down!!! I do not know how they get away with selling twigs as plants!
Negative Kutsmail1
Pineville, LA
April 6, 2015
Heed the warnings in spite of the low prices!

Summerstone Nursery sent my order, but it was incorrect and several plants are non-viable plants. I ordered 5 peonies. I received 2. One had a visible eye. The other had what "might" have been an eye on it. Peonies really need to be divided with 3-5 eyes each.
The hostas and peonies I ordered had dry roots. The tiny plants were pretty shriveled.
They did send the free plants and they might or might not make it.
I tried to contact them, but have not been able to speak with anyone or get an email response.
Negative twobuddy
Lugoff, SC
March 13, 2015
In 2014 I purchased 2 grapes, 3 apple and 1 cherry from summertime nursery in 2014. The trees were very thin hardly any roots. The grapes and cherry tree prompty died. The compamy would not replace the bad items. I thought well, maybe it was just a fluke, so this year I ordered 2 cherry trees, 2 pear trees, 1 scupnine grape. When the trees arrive the 2 Pear trees had no roots and it looked like they cut the limbs off anoter tree and sent tem to me. The grape bush was the same just a cutting from the vine. Very disappointed. I prompty called the company to complain. They wnated me to send these items back and pay the freight before they would replace them. My advice is not to purchase items form th8is company. They do not have good customer service and have inferior products.
Negative chaka7119
Odenville, AL
November 17, 2014
Ordered a few things which totaled around $50 dollars. I found all the negative reviews after I ordered and proceeded to cancel my order that same day, not 1 hour after placing it. I emailed and got no response. So I called and no one answered all afternoon. I called early the next day right when they opened and someone answered. They explained that a refund was no problem and I would be put on the list and get the monies put back on my card no later then 2 weeks. 5 months later because I honestly forgot about it I find that they never refunded my money. So I called them and got, oh it looks like they didn't put you on the list. I will do it right now and it will be taken care of. Guess what, it wasn't. I called again 3 weeks after and got the I don't see where you have ever been put on the list, but I do see the note where you cancelled your order back in May. I will take care of this today and mail you a check since they claimed it was over 90 days so it couldn't go back on my card. So this started May 26 and its November 17 and still am fighting to get my money back. Oh and they never shipped me anything so they can't claim its due to unreturned items.
Neutral shoyourite
Avera, GA
November 5, 2014
Before reading the reviews on this site I decided to purchases three separate orders of trees from summerstone Oct 12 2014 / Oct 23 2014 & Oct 29 2014
On 11/4/14 my first order arrived it consist of 6 butternut trees 1 plum tree & 1 grape tree. Needless to say all the trees arrived a bit skinny but looked to be in good
Shape, after soaking the trees for a few hours I potted them into large well drained containers until next spring. I plan on taking the trees to Georgia in 2015 to be replanted
There (I live in Miami).I'm Neutral for now but I will update on all three orders in due time.
Negative seredelfs
Green Valley, AZ
July 16, 2014
We placed an order for $159.55 on May 5, 2014, and the order was shipped on 5/16. The order was for 9 dwarf fruit trees and 1 seedless grape. We paid for the upgrade of the larger size. The trees were tiny sticks and all appeared dead. We planted everything hoping they were just dormant. It was very discouraging to find not one plant had a bud on it, and never broke dormancy. They were indeed dead. We contacted Summerstone and we were told they would send replacements this coming fall. I will update if we DO receive replacements and if they are alive. I wish we had seen this site before ordering.
Negative lwbuchholz
Manhattan, MT
July 15, 2014
How I wish I had found this site before I ordered from this company. I placed 2 orders adding up to more than $100. Their customer service people were very nice but all the plants died. I checked their replacement policy and it appears like I have to pay more or lose part of that purchase money to get replacements. It looks like a scam to make money for them. I can't recommend this company to anyone. I am sick about losing all that money since I have limited income as it is.
Negative bumblebee123
Aliquippa, PA
July 13, 2014
I wish I would've had an experience better than the other folks so I could leave a positive review, but I did not. I ordered a lot of plants: fruit trees, magnolias, garlic, pineapple tree, etc. After reading reviews after I ordered, I was happy to actually receive a package and not lose all of my money. However, I only received half of my order which was my first disappointment. I didn't bother to call to complain because my free raspberry plants and rhododendrons never grew and died. I felt the remaining order wouldn't live either, so I didn't bother. The fruit "trees" (typical dormant cuttings) aren't doing well, and my magnolias never came out of the ground. I've had much success from mail order companies in the past and am an experienced planter/gardener, so don't think it's me. This company stinks and don't gamble your money away. Go to a local nursery or a well regarded mail order nursery.
Negative sspugs
Ambridge, PA
July 7, 2014
I placed an order with this company in early June for 5 items. I received them on 6/15 and they all looked dead! Very dried out and crumbling. I emailed them o 6/16 and told them the problem and since they claim they will replace all dead or missing items, I asked for a reship. Well, guess what - not only did I not receive any replacements but they never answered any of the half dozen emails I sent them! I told them in my last email that I planned to report them and give a negative review but that didn't seem to phase them. I will never order from them again and will post as many bad reviews about them that I can - I lost $50!
Negative Feodosia
Versailles, MO
July 2, 2014
Posted on May 1, 2014, updated July 2, 2014
I placed an order at a website called Online Tree Farm . After I placed the order I was notified that an outfit called Summerstone Nursery would be filling the order .That made me nervous because of all the bad reviews for Summerstone . Was this going to be a con ? Are they are using 3rd party online sellers because they have a bad reputation ? I crossed my fingers and waited. I received trees that were kind of small but were ok considering the price . The red bud trees were tiny , about 6 inches stick up above ground after planting . The willow trees were nice , about 3 ft. tall and eager to grow . The cherry trees were nice also , a bit thin but about as tall as I expected them to be .The only real bummer I got was a $20 " 3-foot " Seckel pear tree ( I ordered a 3 ft) that turned out to be about a 12 inch twig if you included the roots in the measurement too . I mailed the Seckel twig back to them along with a letter explaining why I was disappointed . Didn't hear from them in a long while and thought it was a lost cause . But this spring they mailed me an actual 3 ft Seckel Pear and threw in a bunch of free trees to make up for it . And they were great free trees ! Some cherry trees , a sugar maple , a purple ornamental plum , a flowering cherry tree , etc. And all of them about 3 ft tall ... I waited awhile to post this because I wanted to wait to see if these trees were dead or alive . So far , most of them have either sprouted buds or have leaves coming out ... so these trees are alive and I am happy with the company . Sounds like they have had problems but also have good people working for them trying to fix things and make it work . So I have to give them a positive rating for how they treated me . If they make a mistake just give them a chance to fix it . I will order from them again .
On July 2nd, 2014, Feodosia changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I have to update my rating to a big fat negative for this Summerstone company . After a few months of everything being in the ground , here are the results . None of the tiny Redbud trees ever woke up - all dead and brittle . Of the 3 walnut trees , 2 trees never woke up , dead and brittle . Only 2 of the " free " trees stayed alive . The " Seckle Pear " has weird looking leaves that do not look like the leaves on my real seckel pear trees . And here is the biggest laugh of them all that makes me wonder if they have any clue about running a plant nursery business - now that leaves have popped out on the trees ( that are not dead ) and I can get a good look at them - out of the 6 cherry trees I ordered , 5 of them are some kinda tree of the peach family ! Not even close to being cherry trees ! And the 6th " cherry " tree has got leaves that look like no other fruit tree I own , so I'm guessing its maybe some kind of ornamental ? So now I have to rip these peach-things out of my cherry orchard and find a place to put them . So yes , it is true , it'd best to stay clear of these guys .
Negative midgey
Denver, CO
June 26, 2014
Like everyone I should have read the local bbb , f. Rating. And the multitude of horrid reviews of this rip off of a company. I'm on a campaign to warn all gardeners. Unbelievable, made order in January 2014, for delivery 1 April. To my surprise they were delivered on April 1. Was so excited,they offered wonderful romantica, David Austin , a plethora of choices in hard to find roses. All but one were in decent shape, impressed with the root structure for 1 1/2 grade roses. We ordered 13 varieties , over 150.00 . Planned and built a very nice growing area, spent a lot of money. The first flush is done and out of the 13 roses ordered, ONE , is correct. Omg, we are bewildered , ONE. 8 are tropicana, and the others are roses we do not recognize , much less what we ordered. When contacting this pathetic nursery, their resolution is send a replacement for the following year. While we knew that was the policy, never would anyone imagine this. Much less their complete fraudulent way of doing business. Filed a complaint with bbb , going no where of course, however everyone needs to now this and not spend money on such ineptness , with the expectation to lose an entire season , much less the wrong plants for the plan we had. They refuse to refund, why would I ever order from this horrible company again or take a replacement of all the wrong plants. They would expect you to grow season after season after season till they get it right. BEWARE
Negative leemcvey
Leeds, AL
June 23, 2014
Order 4173-0098-8727-6892

Ship Date: June 2, 2014.
Order Date: April 26, 2014

I ordered two bare-root Kiowa blackberry plants from Summerstone. They offered a free third plant, so I chose another Kiowa.

The shipment arrived well-packed, and the roots were wet and covered with a wet gel substance. The stalks were very dry and brittle. I planted them immediately, as instructed, in wet soil.

The instructions stated that the plants were dormant from being in cold storage, but that they would sprout new growth in a week or two.

As of today, June 23, 2014, there was no growth. I checked the stems and all were dry and brittle. I pulled one up. The roots were dead, but moist as they should be. The other two were exactly the same.

I will never order from Summerhill again. They’re only 2 days by mail away from me, so the plants were just as they packed them. And it took them well over a month to get around to shipping them.
Negative borzol
June 17, 2014
Last year we ordered from Summerstone Nursery a gooseberry plant. When we received that we were in doubt about identification of that plant. Now as it blossomed and have some berries we see this is something like raspberry or blackberry. This is our unfortunate experience of having business with Summerstone Nursery.
Negative whisperingangel
Glen Park, NY
June 2, 2014
I placed an order May 6, 2014 order number 6314-0232-9195-0910. They charged my card and the order was shipped 5/16/14. The order came on 5/21/14 and everything was dead accept for strawberries and they didn't send the watermelons. Cherry trees were broken sticks, tomatoes, grapes and raspberries all dead. I called immediately and spoke with Kelly @11:40 am on 5/21/14 and told her that there were no watermelons (empty cups of dirt were sent) and everything was dead accept the strawberries. She told me they were backordered on the watermelons and would send replacements for everything the next day. The order wasn't shipped until 5/27/14 and arrived today 6/2/14 and again everything is dead. I called and spoke to Kelly again and told her what had happened and asked for a partial refund for the dead items and she said we don't give refunds we only give plants. I told her I didn't want anymore dead plants and she said too bad they don't give refunds and she could give me someone else to talk to but they would tell me the same thing. I told her I was going to file a dispute with my credit card company and with the Better Business Bureau and she told me to do what I wanted that they weren't going to give me a refund and the credit card company would side with them because of the guarantee they have to send replacements and I wouldn't get any money back from the credit card company. She was very nasty to me the entire time on the phone. Don't deal with these people
I have now filed a complaint with both my credit card company and the Better Business Bureau and am going to contact the state of TN to file a complaint. I live in Northern NY near the Canadian border and is now too late in season to wait for more dead plants that I can't plant.
Negative centreville
Gloster, MS
May 29, 2014
I have made several orders with Summerstone none of which I would brag about. Some of us are slower than others to learn. I am writing this with respect to order no. 5479-2327-6430-1750. The bulk of the order was for plum trees which arrived wrapped in wet newspaper but with dry roots. I called about the condition when i received the order and was told to soak them and them plant them. I should have enacted the First Promise. None leafed out this spring. I was getting ready to return for replacement but read about the company on this website and determined that it was not worth the effort. Their 2nd Promise is that I ship the dead plants back and that for 1/4th the price they will replace the plants. I will take my losses and run.
Negative wrighjl
Cuba, KS
May 28, 2014
On April 24, 2014 I placed an order (Order Number: 2794-7632-1866-1116) with Summerstone Nursery and paid $22.40 (Transaction Code: 94D53478ET135960D) via a credit card. I called back on April 25, 2014 to cancel the order. I was told that I would receive a refund to my credit card. I have called several times asking when I will be credited to my credit card account (as recent as May 27, 2014). I get nothing but a run around. I believe that Summerstone Nursery is committing fraud. Since I live in Kansas and the nursery is in Tennessee I believe this is Interstate Commerce with intend to commit fraud which is a Federal violation. Since the Internet has been used I believe their Website should be closed down with further investigation regarding Federal violations to perpetrate Fraud.
Negative xword
Sanford, NC (Zone 7a)
May 25, 2014
The first order of 25 plants, two or three survived; the replacement order (had to send them some dead parts!) was slightly better, it looks like 4 might survive.

I give up. The person in the Tennessee state office who is monitoring their compliance to an earlier agreement is:

Jane Salem

I suggest sending a copy of each email back and forth to Summerstone to her.

summerstone does not raise anything. USPS deliveries from them to NC take at least a week, almost as if the USPS is not helping.... they refuse to consider priority mail, or any option for UPS type service....

the business plan, I am sorry to say, seems to be to keep sending out lousy plants and to try to keep as much of the money as possible.

When I was doing a similar business, selling other grower's stuff, I took the order to the nurseries myself, selected the plants, cleaned off the dirt and packaged them in wet paper inside plastic, and sent them priority mail the same day. One complaint in three years by a person whose mailman left the plants at a door she didn't use in 100 degree weather. She contacted me after a week and then found the plants. The replacement shipment went well, she was happy.
Negative Oldsarge4188
Freeport, NY
May 21, 2014
Ordered 6Tomato, 6 cucumber, 6 pepper and 6 cantaloupe plants May 4. Called and cancelled order May 5, due to finding this website and reviews. Emailed my cancellation as well. After 4 hours of calling I believe the woman I spoke to was Debbie, she said no problem she would pass it along to the order dept and it would be cancelled. Well yesterday I received all the above plants in the mail. Not only were they dead but so poorly packed they were broken on almost all the stems. This nursery should not be in business period. Terrible customer service and even worse product. Called credit card company and got credit for this purchase. Horrendous nursery do not even think of buying from them.
Negative nathan2014
Broomall, PA
May 19, 2014
I wish I'd read these reviews before I ordered my trees.
I made my order mid April, some grape and persimmon trees,
didn't receive yet. I called several times, no one even pick up the phone.

why a company like this could still keep breathing?
Negative yrralrellim
Staunton, VA (Zone 6b)
May 16, 2014
I ordered six tomato plants and two blackberry plants in mid April. I received my shipment on 5/9/2014 . To say the least, ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!! In the first shipment, all six tomato plants were totally fried -- what was left of them was dry, black and brown, primarily due to their shipping method and packing -- hardly fit for shipping rocks. I called immediately (on 5/9) and they reshipped six plants which arrived today. If the plants survive at all I will be surprised! I will NEVER ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN nor can I recommend them for purchasing live plants. This second shipment had the plants basically stuffed inside an improper shipping container. On the exterior of the cardboard box there was no warning of live plants being inside. So far my two thornless blackberry plants are sprouting -- they probably will survive but are not even worth the shipping charges.
Negative ETNGUY
Colonial Heights, TN
May 13, 2014
If I had read this forum or the BBB entry I would not have ordered from them.

I ordered a Bing cherry and Black Tartarian cherry tree 4-5' on 4/13/14 and received them on 4/19/14. There were small green leaves on the Bing but the Black Tartarian and the free Black Hawk raspberry were "dead sticks" as described in many other posts.

I planted them anyway. Two weeks later, 5/3/14, still with no growth from the Black Tartarian or the Black Hawk, I emailed them with no response. I called them 5/12/14 to report my experience, I have received a form to fill out and if I send the dead plants back to them (shipping at my cost) they will send me replacements.

Since the Black Tartarian only cost $20, shipping the dead plants back will cost me at least half that. I'm not sure this effort is worth it.

I do not like wasting my money or receiving "dead sticks" in the mail, I will not order from them again. Please review their entry in the BBB website before you even think or ordering.
Negative Ciaobobd
White Plains, NY
May 9, 2014
I ordered a pink dogwood nearly a month ago. They charged my credit card and the tree never arrived.