The scoop on 'American Meadows'

American Meadows

American Meadows has 1813 products listed in PlantScout.

223 Avenue D, #30
Williston, Vermont 05495 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-309-7333

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on July 2, 2012:
"American Meadows is one of the most respected online retailers of wildflower seeds, perennial plants and flower bulbs in North America. Our customers range from some of the most experienced horticulturists to beginning gardeners."

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive sawman43
Moravian Falls, NC
May 26, 2017
We had an area below where we planted our orchard that slopes down to our pond that was overgrowing with mostly brush and weeds. We wanted to reclaim the area and make it more attractive. We found American Meadows online and I was impressed with the seed packages they offered for our region. We chose seeds for our region and placed an order. They arrived promptly.
After preparing the area we planted last fall. A portion of the area got washed out in a heavy rain even though we mulched due to the grade so we reordered. We are now enjoying beautiful wild flowers as the annuals have come in strong. We cannot wait for the perennials and biennials that will follow. We are blessed with a large population of butterflies and hummingbirds. The meadow will also help draw honey bees beneficial to the new orchard we planted last fall as well.
There is another area behind our pond that I plan to replant with seeds from American meadows as well. When I have had to contact them they have responded promptly and professionally. I am completely satisfied with the product range they offer and the results from the items I have ordered.
Positive greengardens7
Wilmington, NC
May 16, 2017
This fall, I called American Meadows to get advice on which wildflowers and perennial plants to add to my garden in North Carolina. I spoke with a lovely customer service representative who gave me some great suggestions for fall planting. I waited until now to leave my review because I wanted to see how everything grew this spring. WOW, am I impressed! Many of the annual wildflowers are already blooming and my perennials seem to be getting bigger by the minute. I am thoroughly impressed with this company's customer service, shipping, and quality of their plants and seeds. I would highly recommend them to anyone!
Negative cabbageleaf123
Bayard, IA
May 16, 2017
I ordered 12 Siberian Iris, Caesar's Brother. 1 per bag. What I received was the poorest excuse for roots/plants. One bag was completely empty with only planting medium that surrounds the plants. Out of all, we may have two viable plants, but they were so poor I don't expect them to grow. I would avoid buying from American Meadows.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2017:
On May 16, 2017 9:43 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear cabbageleaf123: I'm very sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with your order. You've been a long-time customer and we want to see you succeed.

Our Siberian Iris roots are typically about the size of an adult palm, so your experience is surprising. Obviously, there never should be empty bags, although from time to time, the automatic packaging line misses one and it's not caught. Our customer service team will reach out directly to rectify.

Best Wishes, Ethan Platt | President

Negative piscesxander
Sacramento, CA
May 9, 2017
Placed a couple of orders with company for the first time for spring 2017 bulbs. I'll admit I was a bit dazzled by their flashy videos and cute gnome mascot.... Their prices are very high, sometimes up to 3x the prices of competitors so I went in with the expectation of receiving truly premium plants and bulbs. We ordered some tropicanna cannas on a bogo sale - even at the sale price they were more than twice the price of most places. Of the six only one arrived white, one with a bit of black rot, the rest all black mush. I've ordered many cannas this year from many places and all others arrived perfectly firm and white. I immediately contacted them and the rep was very friendly and sent out 4 replacements which arrived promptly; yet still all arrived with some rot. Out of 10 canna rhizomes only 4 are growing. Three of them I literally crushed in the palm of my hand and they turned to paste with no firm fragment of rhizome to be found.
In another order I'd placed for some thai giant elephant ear - at twice the price of other dealers - the order arrived well packed on a reasonable schedule but both plants arrived with about 80% chlorosis. Two leaves per plant but mostly white. I've been nursing them indoors in indirect bright light at 76 degrees but I think they're gonna die, we'll see. I've ordered these before from others in years past and they've never arrived so anemic.
We did order a few other plants, some daylily and hardy hibiscus which are all arrived healthy and are growing very readily, yet for the value of the price paid the plants were rather small specimens. In all I won't order from this dealer again. Nothing that arrived at a premium price was at all impressive. I'd recommend shopping elsewhere at a better value.
Company representative comment on May 9, 2017:
On May 9, 2017 9:07 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Eric, I'm very sorry that you were not satisfied with your order. We work hard to ensure that we only source and ship the best plants, bulbs and seeds available anywhere, and offer them at competitive prices.

Based on your feedback, we're taking a close look at our canna inventory - each and every rhizome should be big, firm and ready to thrive. As for the plants, please continue to care for them as you indicated - we're confident that you'll be satisfied with the results. If not, we always stand by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Happy Gardening - Ethan

Negative JoshuaWGR
Amarillo, TX
April 22, 2017
Very disappointed with American Meadows. I've placed multiple orders with this company over the past few years, and my previous experiences have been wonderful (thus, the two star rating). However, I will not be ordering from American Meadows ever again.

I placed an order on February 26, 2017 totaling 384.20, which included 16.95 shipping costs. My order was scheduled to ship the week of April 17th.

In the meantime, I received at least one email a week urging me to "add to my order before it ships." Last week I called and did just that; I added another $174.25 worth of plants to my existing order. I spoke with Steve who told me my order would ship on Monday April 17th.

While placing my additional order, I noticed that many of the items I had ordered back in February were now on sale, some at half the price of what I had already paid. I asked Steve if they would honor their new lower price. He informed me that since I was receiving no additional charge for expedited shipping on these new items, they would not honor their lower price. I had also received a coupon via email, thanking me for my order and offering $10 off my next purchase of $50 or more. I asked if I could use that coupon; Steve again replied that I could not due to the "free shipping."

On April 17th, I had not yet received a shipping confirmation. I called American Meadows on April 18th. I was told that my order was in the warehouse and would ship out that afternoon or the following morning.

On April 20th, I placed another call as I still had not received a shipping confirmation. I spoke with Steve again, who informed that my order would not ship out until the following week. Then, he spoke with a supervisor who said my order had already shipped and I'd receive an email that evening.

Now, on April 21st, I'm being told that my order will arrive on Tuesday the 25th. This is not "free expedited" shipping.

I have every reason to believe that I have over $500 worth of plants which have been sitting in a warehouse for over week, and will now be in transit for 5 days or more. I'm fully expecting to open boxes of sick and/or dead plants. The same plants I've paid full price for; perhaps I should've cancelled my order and reordered the same items at the sale price? I'll be hoping for best on Tuesday the 25th; regardless of the outcome, I've placed my last order with American Meadows.
Company representative comment on April 22, 2017:
On Apr 22, 2017 8:10 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear Joshua, I'm very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations in our communication.

When we take orders, we try and make it as clear as possible both on our website and in our confirmation emails that your order will ship during the assigned week. We also attempt to organize our orders so that the furthest transit times ship early that week in order to arrive for the weekend. In your case, your order was originally assigned to "ship the week of 4/17." Your order was pulled and printed on 4/18 and sent to the warehouse for picking on the 19th. We did not get through all our orders on the 19th, so yours unfortunately did not ship until the 20th and you would have been sent a tracking number via email that evening. (These often end up in spam.)

I'm sorry for any confusion on the pricing - in looking at the notes in your order, I see that you talked to multiple people in our call center and I apologize if the relevant promotions and sale prices were not clear.

We go to great lengths as an organization not to over-promise. But at this time of year, we are shipping over 2,000 orders per day and for a small company like ours, that leaves little margin for error. Your order will deliver early next week and the quality of the plants should not be negatively effected by the transit. I hope that in the end, you are pleased with what you receive and that we have the chance to earn your trust back in the future.

Best, Ethan Platt | President

Positive dgrhosta
Marietta, GA
April 16, 2017
I ordered Itoh peonies from here earlier this year and was skeptical of on line purchases but this company is TOP NOTCH and helped in every way possible to ensure that I was satisfied with my order.I received my ITOH PEONIES and WOW they were everything and more than I could hope for.packed ext well and were much bigger than I expected. I will definitely be shopping here again
Love the service and loved the entire experience
I don't shop on line often at all but this company has changed my mind by the way they not only processed my order but would explain every detail and policies that they have that will make my plants a success story.
I will shop here again simply because of not only the ease in which it is to order but the very friendly staff that always answered my questions and kept me informed of the status of my order even after I called and added another Itoh peony to my list and making sure that no additional shipping charge would be added due to my previous order and just added this one to it.
Look fwd to more orders from here in the future and will do so with confidence and peace of mind that I won't be getting a dead stick a or a dried up root that I have had from other online venders.GOD BLESS!
Company representative comment on April 16, 2017:
On Apr 16, 2017 9:27 PM, American Meadows responded with:

dgrhosta, thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. It's a crazy time of year for our team, but I'm glad to hear that both our product and service exceeded your expectations. Happy Gardening, Ethan Platt - President

Positive Missosprey
Tulsa, OK
October 2, 2016
American Meadows is probably one of the best organized and well-ran online garden nurseries. When I first started gardening roughly a year ago, I bought from them and planted it wrong - and blamed it on them. I admit, I was wrong to do it - it was my fault that the seeds never sprouted. Regardless, they gave me a refund! A month later, I bought two live plants and misread the label and planted them in full sun - only for them to die… They gave a refund for that too! This website has a cool live chat feature, in which you can talk to real people in real time without being on the phone! As someone who has an audio processing disability and social anxiety, this is a wonderful feature.

Not only do they have wonderful customer service, but they have wonderful products that are fairly priced! Pay attention to any product with a bad review… most the time, they may have planted it wrong - like I initially did (I think I left a bad review for the seeds I first ordered, though I never figured out how to delete it). I purchased their Southwestern Wildflower mix, and it has been wonderful! Sadly, I planted the seeds a bit too close - and now the Scarlet Sage (Salvia coccinea, not Salvia splendens) has taken over! It was bound to happen, since its the tallest growing and is able to grow in shade… Regardless, I’m a happy gardener with a lot of Scarlet Sage!

Native and Organic Gardening is thankfully taking off in America, and American Meadows is helping that happen. As someone who works at a nature center, I believe providing safe, native flora for our wildlife is the best way to garden. In fact, I think our milkweed packets we hand out (we have a strong “save the monarchs” agenda) are from American Meadows! I’m happy to learn that their products are Neonicotinoid-free (something that is incredibly important when growing flowers that are meant to attract insects and wildlife). I hope American Meadows will expand their native selection even more next year! I highly recommend this website to anyone who asks about native gardening at my job, and I know I will for a long time. Thank you for helping me make the baby steps to a beautiful, native garden, American Meadows!
Negative lz2000
Ottawa,
Canada
July 19, 2016
I ordered 15 Traderhorn gladiolus bulbs in March 2016.
Traderhorn are very distinctive flowers: bright red with white at the throat. When these bulbs flowered they were reddish orange with no white marks. I complained to the company and they blamed it on their warehouse. I was given a partial refund - nothing for shipping.
Company representative comment on July 19, 2016:
On Jul 19, 2016 11:13 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Larry,

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your experience with us. I looked into our correspondence with you and as we explained, our policy is to not refund shipping unless there was a specific problem with the shipping or the product arrived damaged. You were refunded for the full amount of the bulbs.

Again, our apologies and best wishes.

Ethan Platt - President

Positive Rcurrier
Williston, VT
June 4, 2016
I planted 5 Allium Globe Master bulbs in the Fall following the directions perfectly. My dog must have loved the smell because he proceeded to immediately dig all 5 up...the first and second and third time I planted them! Frustrated I tossed them back in the ground haphazardly and hoped for the best! All 5 have come up and are absolutely PERFECT! I have had the same luck with other bulbs from AM (tulips - all 50 bloomed), and plants (Liatris is coming up strong and beautiful).
Positive garyj59
Sheboygan, WI (Zone 5a)
May 29, 2016
Ordered some bare root perennials on sale to fill some holes in my garden. They arrived and one bag of roots was unsatisfactory, I e-mailed them and they sent out a replacement right away and they look better. They are in the ground so we'll see.
Positive irisstrock
Bland, VA
May 26, 2016
I have ordered flowers from a number of companies in the past. This is my first experience ordering from American Meadows, but it definitely will not be my last. The plants were shipped promptly and were in excellent condition. I e-mailed their customer service department thanking them and was quickly sent a reply from a very nice young lady. This is the type of service I appreciate....thanks again!!!
Positive andierose
Montfort, WI
May 24, 2016
I placed my first order with American Meadows this year. All the other companies I have used in the past, have been poor. I received all my plants when it was time to plant in our zone and only had a problem with one. I called and an immediate replacement was sent and customer service was fantastic. My plants are now all planted and are growing in leaps and bounds. I cannot believe how fast they are growing. I really love this company and it will be my go to company from here on in.
Positive rudypep
Nashville, TN
May 13, 2016
My initial order of Siberian Iris didn't all survive. Customer Service immediately shipped replacement plants. Second shipment was lost in transit and AmericanMeadows was, once again, ready to ship another replacement. Fortunately, the previous shipment arrived in time to intercept the second replacement. (too confusing?) I was so impressed that they stood behind their plants and supplied replacements so quickly - no questions asked. The original Iris that survived are doing well and I'm looking forward to a healthy crop next year.
Positive VoltairesHeap
Newton Highlands, MA
May 12, 2016
Excellent experience. No errors with my order, wonderful packaging, and excellent quality. Last summer I ordered Dutch Master daffodils and this Spring I was blown away by their beauty. I will definitely be ordering more. I also ordered peonies, which are doing well, and wildflower seed, which is growing like gangbusters. I'm not a great gardener, and I am challenged with lousy conditions, so only the sturdiest plants survive in my garden. So far American Meadows stock is survival of the fittest.
Positive pmikula
Memphis, TN
May 2, 2016
I ordered bulbs from American Meadows recently. The customer service experience I received was extremely nice and my questions were always answered promptly. When my shipment notice was received, I actually received my bulbs the NEXT DAY! I was thrilled to have such fast delivery.

The best of all was the quality of the bulbs. They were actually beautiful to look at - so big and healthy and I just knew they were going to all jump right out of the dirt shortly after I got them planted which was the day I received them.

I will definitely be doing business with American Meadows again because of the high quality of their product and the outstanding customer service I received.

Happy Gardening to all who read this review.
Neutral mike6710301
Staten Island, NY
April 19, 2016
Posted on April 19, 2016, updated April 20, 2016
American Meadows is a terrible company, with poor service and abysmal customer service.

I ordered plants from American Meadows and have received only empty promises. My order was supposed to ship the week of 4/11. On Friday of that week I emailed them to ask why I hadn\'t received a shipping notice. I was assured it would ship that very day and I would receive an email advising me of that. Nothing. On 4/18 I called and waited for almost an hour to get through to customer service and was given a story about cold weather preventing them from shipping. And I was again assured my order would go out that very day and I would receive an email with shipping details. Nothing.

I had no choice but to demand a refund because I have no faith in this company (fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me!). I will order plants from somewhere else, which I should have done in the first place.
On April 19th, 2016, mike6710301 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

American Meadows took care of the problem. I am giving them a Neutral because their selection is very good and their prices are quite reasonable. They offer plants that you won't easily find at other sellers.
Company representative comment on April 19, 2016:
On Apr 19, 2016 9:18 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Dear mike6710301,

I'm very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I took a look at your order and contact history and see that we did not meet our usual standards for shipping promptness. This week and last are two of our biggest shipping weeks of the year and your orders took longer than promised to pack and ship. I see that you have been in communication with us via email to resolve this issue. I am also sorry that you had to hold on the phone longer than acceptable. Again, no excuses other than the fact that we are a small organization at the apex of our spring mayhem. As you can see from our numerous other reviews, we take great pride in our customer service and our dedicated team goes above and beyond to please. Sometimes, despite the best intentions, we slip. I'm sorry that we let you down.

Best Wishes and Happy Spring,

Positive vireyda54
April 18, 2016
I have placed two orders now with this company. The first order included begonias which were shipped a couple of months in advance of the live plants. They were mailed with instructions and are doing very well. I ordered two varieties, and only one initially shipped, and the company was easy to contact and immediately shipped out the others without additional charge.

The live plants arrived recently and came excellently packaged. All plants arrived safe and very healthy. I was very pleased with my orders, and due to their customer service, quality plants, and packaging will certainly order from them again. Because of an emergency out of state I had to reschedule delivery and it took less than 3 minutes start to finish contacting and getting things in order with the company.
Positive cindala517
Lakeland, GA
April 8, 2016
From ordering process, to shipment arrival, I was very pleased and impressed by the care taken in the packaging of plants I purchased trough American Meadows. Normally, I do not do internet reviews, but this was the best I have ever seen. American Meadows obviously takes pride in the care and packaging of their products. Recently, moved to this zone and had no clue who to start my garden with. I decided to do an order from three nurseries, and American Meadows blew them all away. Great looking, healthy plants,carefully package and protected. I am proud to start the new garden in my new home with American Meadows. I will keep you posted on the plants as they grow!!!
Positive davepfw
Floyds Knobs, IN
December 14, 2015
I ordered a large amount of seed to plant this fall after the first hard frost. I over planted the seed as I was use to planting grass seed instead of flowers. I sent email to the company asking for guidance. I got good response on what I had done wrong and the notification that the weather being so warm this year that the seed was ruined. They offered to send me the right amount of the replacement seed that I need for the ground I have previously planted the seed. They asked questions on the space and the type of seed that I needed. They are a good company with very good seed. Their help desk really is a HELP DESK.
Positive dahlia20
Saint Albans, VT
December 4, 2015
I could not be more pleased with American Meadows. Their products are high quality. I have had nothing but success with their products. Customer service is second to none. They are definitely committed to making sure that their customers are happy and successful, despite any human error or wacky weather patterns. I am a customer for life. Could not be happier with American Meadows.
Positive whiterabbitrage
Seattle, WA
December 2, 2015
The customer service I received was the best of any I have experienced.
Company representative comment on December 2, 2015:
On Dec 2, 2015 4:00 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Thanks, Whiterabbitrage! We appreciate you taking the time to send the kind words. Happy Holidays.

Positive mkrause
Huntington, NY
November 20, 2015
I and very many others have enjoyed the seeds I've purchased from American Meadows, as I have spread far and wide their "Sparky Marigold" seeds to bring much joy across the country. Six years ago I started a holiday called "Spark Day" that was inspired by a little dog named Sparky who had come from a shelter in West Virginia and who had lived a rotten life of disregard. The good people at Wetzel County Animal Shelter saved him and when he came home to me, he had the good life: A home, warm bed, friends, food, comfort, vet care. He was happy. But he never made it to his one year anniversary in a home, something I had been hoping for him to have. He was a very old dog and had lived a very hard life. But he was also very appreciative. Honoring that, I decided the anniversary of his adoption should be something we celebrated rather than mourned so I decided, along with his many fans -- he had come to me with a following -- that we should celebrate "Spark Day" a day to celebrate "The Spark of Life" that abounds all around us. After all, that's how Sparky got his name: he had collapsed and the shelter director didn't think he would survive, but when he perked up the next day at the shelter, she decided to call him Sparky. We celebrate this day by doing life-affirming things. It is not a day ABOUT Sparky, but INSPIRED by him. It is not about dogs or animal rescue per se, though those pursuits are life-affirming. There are many life-affirming things that people do and so people mark it their own ways. Then at a pre-arranged time in the evening, everyone pauses and raises a glass in a toast and we metaphorically "clink" over the distance at the "Spark Moment". We have been doing this six years now. Spark Day is May 16th and 2016 will mark its 7th celebration.

As the founder of Spark Day, I searched for something special to help unify all of us in this holiday and mark the occasion with beauty in some life-affirming way. As I was shopping for spring plants that first year at American Meadows, I came upon "Sparky Marigold" seeds. I could not believe it! I bought a bunch and then bought little envelopes and made them up with special labels for Spark Day and sent them out to the people celebrating. Everyone enjoyed them and months later people would send me the pictures of their Sparky Flowers! I mixed Sparky Marigolds with some wildflower blends they had that included perennials as well as annuals, thus the mix included seeds that burned brightly but briefly like Sparky and some that would return, like Sparky's message of behaving in a life-affirming way.

Spark Day has grown over these years and in 2015 people in 17 states celebrated on May 16th, each person receiving a seed packet of Sparky Marigolds mixed with a variety of seeds from the different pollinator blends American Meadows sells to support those creatures who help support the life that's out there. Each year I made up a Spark Day card and send it out to those on my list, but more people receive Sparky Seeds than just those to whom I send them, as the shelter, Wetzel County Animal Shelter in New Martinsville, WV , also sends them out as thank you gifts to those who participate in their annual Spark Day Fundraiser to help old dogs like Sparky. I make out a supply of packets for them to use and they share them. I also have sent a supply of seeds to a pre-kindergarten teacher I know who did a whole Spark Day unit with the four year olds in her class. Those little kids took great care to grow personal Sparky Pots for their mothers to receive on Mother's Day as well as tending to a Sparky Garden they planted at their school and they took extra seeds home to plant, some families deciding to plant them in community gardens to share with still more people. This year I made up 573 Sparky Seed packets. I mailed out 243 packets to all those different states and then took 330 into work with me on Spark Day Eve.

I am a high school teacher and over the years have used this holiday to teach beyond the standard literary curriculum to encourage community involvement and to help them see avenues to apply the lessons literature teaches. Over these past six years, both students and staff have come to anticipate Spark Day, sometimes asking me well in advance for the seeds. They have brought comfort to many going through tough times (e.g. cancer, loss of a loved one, personal stress, etc.) and have brightened the days of so many for months to come. People I do not even know by name stop me in the halls to show me pictures of their Sparky Flowers on their cell phones. It's wonderful! I went into work on Spark Day Eve with 330 seed packets; before the next week was over, I had no more left. I gave them to people at work, at the pet stores where I shop, at the banks I use, at the restaurant where I celebrated Spark Day with many friends. All of these people are planting these seeds and months later they send in pictures to post on the shelter's Facebook page for all to see. There is a SmileBox there that showcases many of this year's batch.

I hope American Meadows will never stop selling the Sparky Marigold blend. They are wonderful and light up the days of so many -- my blooms are still going strong now at the end of November!

Sincerely,
Michele Krause
Company representative comment on November 23, 2015:
On Nov 23, 2015 8:58 AM, American Meadows responded with:

Michele - thank you for sharing the story of Spark Day. All of us at American Meadows love knowing we are a part of such a worthy cause. It seems as though Spark Day has grown enough that it's time to come up with a custom seed packet for the event. We will be in touch!

Positive englishkay
Mastic, NY,
United States
October 12, 2015
I needed to purchase 50 flower seed packets to give as favors to the guests of a Victorian Tea I was hosting. I called a few local stores and was told that this was not the season to buy seed packets. I went online and found American Meadows. I spoke with a lovely woman and I was able to order 50 wildflower seed packets right away. There was no shipping; I placed the order on a Thursday and received it on that Saturday! I was surprised at how quickly I received them and the woman I dealt with was so nice. I will definitely order from American Meadows again. Thank you, Kayann Donaldson
Company representative comment on October 12, 2015:
On Oct 12, 2015 8:46 AM, American Meadows responded with:

You're welcome, Kayann! We specialize in packets for all manner of events and promos and know that speed is often of the essence! Hope your event was perfect!

Positive OldeTurtle
Greensburg, PA
October 9, 2015
I have ordered many plants, seeds and bulbs from American Meadows. Every experience and product has been superb. The staff is friendly and responds quickly to any question I have. This has always been and will be my first choice when I need anything for the gardens.
Company representative comment on October 9, 2015:
On Oct 9, 2015 11:07 AM, American Meadows responded with:

OldeTurltle - Thank you for your loyal business and the kind words. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. Happy Gardening!

Positive Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD (Zone 7a)
September 24, 2015
American meadows is a top notch source for seeds and bulbs.They have very reasonable prices.I order frequently from them.
Positive sue1211
Leesburg, FL
June 23, 2015
I ordered "Summer Splash" wildflower seeds last summer. I didn't use all of my order so I brought what was left back to Leesburg Fl to plant in my bed along my fence (@ 3 ft by 60 ft. I was blown away be the selection of seeds and had wonderful changing color and variety of shapes until I left Fl to return to my summer home in ME. It was fun doing research to identify my surprise flowers. From @ Nov 15th when I cleaned the bed up until April 5th it was a blast. Of course summer heat will decimate my garden, but I will do it all over again come Nov. And I will do it here in ME. as soon as my "Summer Splash" arrives.
Positive lyph
Ithaca, NY (Zone 5a)
May 25, 2015
I recently received my first order of bare root perennials from this company, and I couldn't be more pleased. The plants arrived very quickly, and they were large, healthy and ready to grow. I put them in pots to insure a good start, and every one is actively growing and leafing out. This company is now on my 'favorite' list.
Positive Jan_in_NJ
Westville, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 12, 2015
Excellent and personal service when I needed it for a problem. Plants are high quality and well packaged.
Positive zooladyb
Boca Raton, FL
April 29, 2015
I have had the best experience with this company. They answer questions and their website is very helpful and can narrow down my search to exactly what I'm looking for.

Seed orders are spectacular and grow amazing flowers. Plants are shipped packaged with love and safety. All plants arrived happy and not even stressed and most of all are thriving.

I had one occasion to connect to customer service and they not only took care of the small issue but exceeded my wildest expectations. They even did follow-up to make sure everything was fine. You can truly tell they care about their customers and their business. Will certainly be a long-time customer.
Positive bonsaiherb
Sequim, WA (Zone 8a)
April 29, 2015
As a fellow Nursery, I can only speak to High Country Gardens with whom I have great respect for and have purchased from. Apparently they have merged with American Meadows (known for supplying seeds) and the two are now part of the same company.
High Country Gardens still has the same high quality plants and great information.
Positive caleb41144
Maryland Heights, MO
April 3, 2015
I ordered three Moonshine Canna Lily tubers in late February. They were not scheduled to ship until late April for my zone. Since I am starting all my cannas early indoors I didn't want to wait this long. I called and they adjusted my shipping date to late march. Plants arrived right on time from fed ex. How ever the tubers had sadly met their maker and we're bound for the trash. I called the company and they were very friendly and told me they would get me a replacement order. My first set of bulbs arrived last Saturday and here on Friday not even a week later, the second set has been delivered to my door. Upon opening these up. I had not only the number of bulbs I ordered, but even 2 extra ones. All of the tubers were solid with healthy coloration to the bulbs. I am very happy with this company. Occasionally plants do die. They fixed the problem though, very quickly and during the busiest time of the year for a nursery too. Amerian Meadows, you have a very happy customer here. Highly recommended to others
Positive jumpinjo
Marshalltown, IA (Zone 5a)
February 15, 2015
Ordered 2 Hardy Hibiscus Lord Baltimore in 2013. Very nice plants. Very happy with their service.
Positive pescraggs
Clark, NJ
November 20, 2014
I ordered the Wildflower Mixture from American Meadows and planted it as directed. The results were unbelievable! Flowers started blooming in June, but later in the summer the Cosmos really showed their true potential. I had the white through dark pink Cosmos blooming by the hundreds, perhaps thousands. The sky was the limit. I measured them at over 9 1/2 feet tall! By October the Sulphur Cosmos started with their orange blooms, and they reached above 7 1/2 feet. Sadly, on Nov 15 we received a killing frost, but I look forward to next year when I plan to plant a larger garden of wildflowers. I wish there was some way I could attach some photos of these beautiful flowers to share with others.
Positive FlowerPhreak
Guilford, CT
September 15, 2014
Posted on May 6, 2014, updated September 15, 2014
Love American Meadows! I\'ve always had great luck with their bulbs having planted daffodils, tulips, alliums and crocus the past several years. They are all coming up beautifully and inspired me to add some new babies to my yard now that the weather is finally warming up.

Placed an order a few weeks ago and was so excited when the box arrived (just one day after it shipped). Everything looked pretty good and I was really impressed with the clever packaging for the potted plants, definitely a creative way to send these new babies to me.

The clematis looks really stellar and is already stretching up towards my trellis. Two of the 10 plants seemed a little small but when I got them out of the pots I was pleased to see some heathy looking deep roots. The glads and dahlias were quite large and the bare roots I ordered all had about 2-3 inches of green growth. I am very happy with this experience so far and can\'t wait to see how these do in my garden (as long as the pesky deer don\'t get them!!).

Will definitely order again - thanks for the great flowers!
On September 15th, 2014, FlowerPhreak added the following:

My garden this summer has been spectacular thanks in part to the new additions from American Meadows. I am still very pleased with all of my purchases and have enjoyed trying out new perennials this year.

My Glads and Dahlias did great, lots of colorful blooms that are still highlighting my yard with bright cheery flowers. The smaller perennials (Echinacea and Cardinal Flower) that I was a bit skeptical about have at least trippled in size and seem to be very healthy and happy.

The bareroot plants I tried - Astilbe, Bleeding Hearts and Peonies are doing really good too. I was surpised to see blooms from both the Bleeding Heart and Astilbe this year. The peony didn't bloom, but I wouldn't have expected it to, however there was good top growth so I expect to see this come back next year big and healthy.

Overall I can't say enough about these plants, packaged well, good prices, timely delivery and excellent customer service. I'm looking forward to adding more bulbs this fall to enjoy next spring. Thanks again!

Company representative comment on September 15, 2014:
On Sep 15, 2014 12:09 PM, American Meadows responded with:

Thank you, FlowerPhreak. We appreciate you taking the time to update your response and always love to hear about our customers' gardens!

Cheers, Ethan

Negative BHINNJ
Totowa, NJ
September 5, 2014
Posted on July 3, 2014, updated September 5, 2014
Last fall, I ordered 6 bareroot reblooming lilies. I was shocked how skimpy they were, - just one lonesome root each. I planted them. Three of them did not come up this spring. I called them and they sent 3 new ones. These were better, with between 4 - 8 roots per plant. However, the bag had one sticker on the outside and the tag inside the bag did not match. I called them and they resent again. Same problem. It is impossible to tell which tag is correct. I call AM again and explain there is some type of labeling problem. They said they had to call the grower. It took well over a week and me calling AM every other day. Each time I called, they said no one answers at the growers! Finally, they \'said\' the correct plant was shipped but that there was some kind of mixup. I even ordered an addition 3 roots this spring because I highly doubt those skimpy roots will ever be a full plant. In total, I spent over $50.00 and I still have no blooms. In May, I went to my local Lowes and purchased 5 very healthy pots of \'entrapment lilies\' ($11\'98 per 10 in pot) which are very full, blooming like crazy and showing no sign of stopping soon. Interesting, those blooms are exactly the same color as the ones pictured on the AM site. I tried to post a review on the AM site, but apparently they only allow positive reviews. I wish I could post pics here to show the difference. The lilies from AM still look sick, just a very few green leaves and still have no blooms, even though 3 of them were planted last fall. I cannot recommend AM, nor will I ever waste my money again.
On September 5th, 2014, BHINNJ added the following:

It is now September. I haven not had one single bloom from any of 9 plants. I took Ethans advice and wrote in and asked for a refund. That was several days ago. Have not heard one single word back from them! American Meadows is a scam.
Company representative comment on September 5, 2014:
On Jul 4, 2014 8:59 AM, American Meadows responded with:

BHINNJ,

Sorry for your frustration. Labeling mix-ups are rare but do happen from time to time. We are in constant contact with our growers and always work as quickly as we can to rectify these problems when they occur.

We post all product reviews on our site, regardless of good or bad - as long as they\'re relevant and don\'t include any inappropriate language. That said, reviews must be \"approved\" and during the busy season, that doesn\'t always happen instantly.

As always, we guarantee all of our products and want you to be satisfied.

Best Wishes,

On Sep 5, 2014 12:51 PM, American Meadows added:

Dear Bernadette,

You have placed 3 orders with us and demanded (and received) 3 replacements and 2 refunds for those orders. As you mention above, you requested a refund via email on 8/30 in the midst of a long holiday weekend. Your refund was issued on 9/4, on the 3rd business day and you were notified via email this morning, before you updated your review.

Our people work very hard and take great pride in what we do. Calling us a "scam" is both inaccurate and inconsiderate. Clearly we are not meeting your expectations and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Ethan

Positive OldChurchEggery
Mechanicsville, VA
August 8, 2014
In the spring of 2013 I placed an order for camassia lily bulbs, dwarf species iris, bearded iris (I can't recall the variety name and I've since deleted the order confirmation email), two types of spring crocuses, saffron crocuses, and checkered lily bulbs. The saffron crocuses shipped first and bloomed their first year in my garden. The other bulbs came in the fall and I was really pleased with the size and health of what I got. Because of a promotion running at the time of my order, everything but the irises was "buy one, get one free" so I wound up planting around 150 bulbs. I mixed the crocuses into my front lawn so I can't say for sure what percentage came up, but they were a cheery sight to see. The other bulbs did really well and I got a lot of compliments on the camassia lilies. I recently placed another order with American Meadows that includes more plants than bulbs, so I'll report back on my success rate with those. With fewer plants, I'll be able to tell very easily how successful they are.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
June 4, 2014
My rating is based on my experience with their wildflower seeds. I have tried 20+ varieties of wildflower seeds in 1/4 lbs from them. Most of them germinated fine, some better than others. Only 2 that were really poor and they gave me credit back for those. As far as direct sown wildflower seeds, I have tried another company and for sure American Meadows seeds germinate better. I will stick with them. These wildflowers are beautiful but tough, easy-going and disease-free. Really great for a wildlife friendly garden like mine.
Positive blondaflicka
Union, IL
June 4, 2014
Received my order from them yesterday. I ordered lily bulbs and 2 plants. Plants were packed securely and I had a small issue with 3 out of 21 bulbs . I called them today and the customer service girl was very friendly and offered replacements right away .
I will be ordering from them again ......maybe today !
Positive justjinger
Nocona, TX
June 3, 2014
I have many plants from many companies in the past years. My Hydrangea was mailed to me packed the best I have EVER seen. They had it surrounded with cardboard with holes from the top to the bottom. WONDERFUL!!! Recently received a plant from another company and they had packed it CRAMED into a small box which broke the top of the plant.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR COMPANY WHO CARES ABOUT THEIR PLANTS...PURCHASE FROM AMERICAN MEADOWS

Plant now lives in Nocona, Texas
Positive CherubSmile
second star to the left,
United States
May 13, 2014
SO much happier with the quality of their plants and customer service than some other major mail orders I've used. (I'm sure you can guess who). Truly, the customer service is awesome. Even though my royal blue Iris, Delphinium, and "black" Hollyhocks didn't make it last year, everything else I've received from them has done really well, and since Delphinium and Hollyhock can be a pain anyway I don't know if it was the company or me that caused them to fail. :/
And don't be discouraged by my few little flubs here. Truly- tons of plants from this company are currently happily growing away in my gardens. Would order again and again.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]