The scoop on 'Potato Rock Nursery'

Potato Rock Nursery

Trinidad, California 95570
(United States)

Company Comment, posted on July 23, 2008:
Potato Rock Nursery is a veritable botanical garden of wild selections from around the world.

We are committed to the principle of preservation through dissemination, and believe that the best way to preserve and encourage diversity is to allow anyone to turn their home garden into a botanical garden. We strive to provide you with the highest quality nursery stock representing gorgeous, difficult to find, unique and unusual native species from different regions of the world. One of our main specialties is a choice selection from the hardier plants from the Mediterranean climate zones, including California, South Africa's Cape Region, Chile, Australia, and Tasmania.

Comments:

Neutral kattamos
Atlanta, GA
March 2, 2014
Posted on February 22, 2014, updated March 2, 2014
An order for 80$ was placed a year ago. No plants or refund. No response to email. Criminally poor customer service.
On March 2nd, 2014, kattamos changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Refund received.
Positive BJames1
Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a)
May 17, 2010
I ordered two Eucalyptus trees from Potato Rock Nursery in the hopes of receiving nicely started, small seedlings. I was not disappointed--in a good way, that is! Both of the Eucalyptus trees arrived in good condition, despite the fact that somewhere along the way the mail handlers were not too friendly--and they came all the way from California to North Carolina! Superb prices, fast and secure shipping, and a wide selection of Eucalyptus make this nursery a good find. Thanks Potato Rock for reasonable prices, great shipping, and plant quality a top priority.
Positive jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX (Zone 8b)
November 5, 2009
The shipping wasnt very fast and the plants were on the smallish side but I did get what I ordered and they were healthy. I would probably order from them again but only if it were a hard to find plant that I really wanted.
Positive turektaylor
Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a)
October 14, 2009
i always receive my nicely packaged plants in a timely manner and they are always healthy !! will continue to buy from him and highly recommend !

thanks for always being consistent !! it's rare now a days .
Mary Ann
Positive Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ (Zone 9a)
March 4, 2009
I placed my first order with Dan back in Jan and had it shipped in Feb. All the plants arrive well rooted. He was very quick to answer questions before I placed my order. He has some unusual plants that you will not find at other online nurseries.
Positive markrs
San Carlos, CA (Zone 10a)
July 15, 2008
Potato Rock Nursery has a number of auctions on Ebay and appears to sell many of the same plants at its online nursery. I bid on one plant on Ebay, and this presented several potential problems: 1) I couldn't find any ratings or feedback other than Ebay (I think the Ebay feedback is generally meaningless--although his is perfect). 2) The plant was one that is often (or even usually) mislabeled, and I wanted to get the right one. 3) The plant was a gift.

The writeup accompanying the auction rang true, and the price was amazing, so I bought it. After the auction I asked him a number of questions, and he was very responsive, in spite of the fact that he must have been extremely busy--the window between the end of his auctions and his shipping date is small.

When I received my plant a few days later, I was stunned--it was far better than I had imagined, particularly for the price (people sell seeds of this plant on Ebay for nearly as much). From everything I've been able to find, it is the correct plant (although the flower will be a strong test). The gift recepient was also surprised and pleased. All in all, a great experience, and I encourage others to order from Potato Rock.

One thing I thought I should point out--the nursery owner also stresses this but it deserves to be said more than once: the nursery is in an extreme climate and the plants should be treated accordingly. They are on the far Northern California coast--I believe nearby Eureka would have an essentially identical climate. The AVERAGE high there in July is 63 degrees. So while a number of their plants are very happy in very hot temperatures, this may take a period of adjustment.