The scoop on 'Romence Gardens & Greenhouses'

Romence Gardens & Greenhouses

Romence Gardens & Greenhouses has 1465 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Romence Gardens & Greenhouses is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

265 Lakeside Dr. NE
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503 (United States)

Phone: 616-451-8214
Fax: 616-451-1994

Visit Romence Gardens & Greenhouses at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive gardeniainmt
Bozeman, MT (Zone 4a)
July 31, 2014
Romence Gardens sent Lime hydrangeas instead of Little Lime. They took care of this problem immediately and allowed me to keep the larger hydrangeas at no charge. The plants were in great shape when they arrived and are happily growing well. This is an excellent company with great service.
Positive Iris2222
Carmi, IL (Zone 6b)
July 7, 2014
I ordered some plants from this company that I couldn't find anywhere else. They arrived quickly & were healthy & in excellent condition. This is an awesome company & I will be ordering from them again. Thanks Romence Gardens. :)
Positive 10MeadowsWay
Marlborough, CT
July 4, 2014
Used Romence Gardens & Greenhouses for the first time and was delighted by the quality of plants and how they were packed. 7/4/2014
Positive Cotesa
Reisterstown, MD
June 23, 2014
NEBRASKA!
I'm in Maryland. I never send for plants that far away but in this case the Pakera obovata I wanted was nowhere to be found.
With some reluctance I ordered the plants. They came and were beautiful. Ordered the same plant two months later and they were just as lovely.
Thank you, Romence!
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
June 21, 2014
I ordered seven plants (five varieties) - they were all in excellent condition. It is definitely worth the few dollars more to receive a much larger healthier plant. One problem - they sent the wrong type of rudbeckia - I contacted them and the correct one was on its way the next day. Great plants and customer service.
Positive jennwv11
FALLING WATERS, WV
June 18, 2014
I have nothing but positive things to say about Romence Gardens. They always ship promptly, plants arrive healthy, and their prices including S&H is reasonable. I will continue to order from them in years to come.
Positive rdchefsabo
Schererville, IN
June 17, 2014
I ordered my first plant order from Romence Gardens on June 11th, 2014 online . My order arrived at my door steps (Indiana/ Chicago area) early am Friday June 13th in perfect shape in less than 2 days....fastest service I have ever seen.

I ordered over $150 of gallon size items that were in speculator shape, largest varieties (not snipped down) and some are ready to flower. They were all in ready to plant soil and no sign on immune issue/shock, as I have experienced this year from other services.

There shipping was only $9.95, unheard of in the "online shipping" industry with such large plants with soil (all "11" gallon size items).

This Year (2014), I have ordered from 10 different (mostly well known) garden services and your company has surpassed all this year including other years from all other services, including: service (communication), quality and pricing of plants. Its like I just got the Grand Finale of a fireworks display after ordering your plants late in the season.

I will be mentioning Romence Gardens about your superior garden company to my many friends and now know next time I order you are first on my list.
A St John, IN happy gardener
Positive gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA (Zone 6a)
June 13, 2014
This was my first experience with Romence Gardens. I have never had such a fantastic experience with any other mail order nursery. I had ordered Asclepias Hello Yellow from another company but unfortunately they informed me that they had suffered a crop failure. I found them at Romence Gardens but was concerned about the quality as these can be hard to find and often don't bloom yellow. I called and talked to Andrea, who said she would walk to the greenhouse and tell me how they looked. She found 4 good ones but said they were still small because they were coming out of dormancy. I hesitated and then she offered to photograph them and send me the picture. I was amazed that anyone would be willing to take the time to do that. Well she was true to her word and sent it the following day. The plants all looked healthy but were only small in the sense that they were short. They were filling the gallon pot well. So I placed the order and in no time had them. They were well packaged but one pot had managed to fall out of its hole (I think the package was turned upside down). There was no damage. My friend and I are both very happy with the quality of these plants. Now they just have to bloom yellow and all will be perfect plus!! I will certainly order from this company again.
Positive robeezee3
Englishtown, NJ
June 12, 2014
This is far and away the best plant mail order experience I have had in 30 years. The plants were packed ingeniously. I received a 1 gallon Abelia, and 6 other plants that were healthy, large and well-rooted. One of the plants was Ginger - I received a note from Romence that they apologized that the plants were not larger, since they are slow to spread. Meanwhile, they arrived and were 3x the size of the plants I received from another nursery. These plants looked very much as they should have.

The communication was great all of the way - I phoned after placing my order to find out when they would ship and was told that shipment would take place the following Monday. Sure enough, I received an email confirmation from the carrier and the plants were delivered on the following Wednesday.

As I said earlier, I've not seen this level of customer service and quality - even in the days when Wayside and White Flower Farms had captured the "premium sellers" market.

Bob
Positive Clary
Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b)
May 31, 2014
Big bushy plants, great price, nice selection, outstanding communication, careful packaging, very highly recommended!!
Positive theherbofgrace
Newport, TN
May 23, 2014
I have dealt with a great number of mail order nurseries in the past, but I have never before received plants of such outstanding quality and size at such a fair price. And, their customer service, shipping and integrity are the best.
Positive Gully
Ellicott City, MD
May 21, 2014
Posted on September 7, 2013, updated May 21, 2014
Posted on June 20, 2013, updated September 7, 2013
Posted on May 30, 2013, updated June 20, 2013
Posted on May 23, 2013, updated May 30, 2013
Posted on May 10, 2013, updated May 23, 2013
I ordered eight petunias with colors I could not find in my local nurseries. All arrived promptly and perfectly packaged. Each was loaded with flowers and in the peak of health. Outstanding experience!
On May 23rd, 2013, Gully added the following:

Received my second order from Romence Gardens today. Huge, beautiful pinks that were of higher quality than could be found in a local nursery. Packed perfectly, not one speck of soil out of place and loaded with blooms. I like that the plant markers are taped to the box beside the plant. Easy to see at a glance what is what in your order. Prompt shipping, perfect packing, and big healthy plants. What's not to like?
On May 30th, 2013, Gully added the following:

Took a chance and ordered a couple of roses. So glad I did, beautiful, full grown, packed expertly, and gorgeous!
On June 20th, 2013, Gully added the following:

Plants, flowers, and roses were fantastic. This time I needed to pick up a couple of tomato plants (the only variety they seem to have around here is Big Boy). Plants arrived quickly and were an excellent size. Also picked up a couple of pots of dwarf fountain grass which were in the peak of health. This has become my go to garden place - great communication, terrific plants, perfect packaging...thanks Romence Gardens!
On September 7th, 2013, Gully added the following:

Ordered four mums for the autumn season. Plants again arrived on time. Big healthy plants, soil was moist, not a leaf out of place. Will look forward to ordering everything I need from them in the spring.
On May 21st, 2014, Gully added the following:

Just received my first order for 2014. I was notified of the arrival date by the company and it arrived right on time. The majority of the order was perfect, but two plants (a rosemary and a watermelon) had a rough trip. A phone call was made to the company, and they immediately offered to replace the plants, no questions asked, and the replacements will arrive on Saturday. This is a first class company with beautiful plants and excellent customer service. They are my go-to place for all my garden plants.
Positive LordCollingwood
Saint Johnsbury, VT
May 20, 2014
Romence Gardens is just terrific at handling Internet orders.
Wow. The best plants & personal prompt confirmations.
Excellent packaging & Fed Ex handles their parcels with greater care than UPS.
Positive Mluna25
Bayside, NY
May 18, 2014
I love this company! I have been a customer for three years. To date, my plants have arrived healthy and are always nicely packed. if there are ever any problems, which only happened once, all I have to is call customer service and they are happy to replace plants if you are not satisfied. I highly recommend this company if you are looking for happy healthy plants!
Positive ConGar
May 2, 2014
I admit while I would've probably still rated positive I would be feeling a bit more neutral except for one thing - the company communicated with me. You see, some of the plants I ordered was smaller than expected - not all - three are of very nice size. Four match plants I bought locally several years ago (and was cheaper from RG&G to boot) but lost over the course of the harshest winter my area has seen in a while, so basically I'm totally happy with seven plants.

Alas, and again because the company communicated with me I was -- well, I was expecting all the plants to be on the smallish side. But had they not communicated then imagine my reaction upon opening the boxes and being surprised (and not in a good way) by almost half of my over seventy dollar order. Other companies should take a lesson here, because a little communication really does go a long way.

To be honest, at the moment I'm only really concerned with the two sedum plants (they look okay, but really are very tiny), and for the price I paid (until I looked at the invoice I thought I'd paid more - I don't remember why, but I honestly thought I'd ordered a gallon pot of this) the phlox is acceptable, but still a little on the small side, and way smaller than the phlox I bought several years ago and only paid slightly more for locally.

However, their prompt shipping even without the awesome communication would've still had me rating positive. Still I am wondering if I should baby the phlox but especially the sedum for a few months (or even an entire year for the sedum) before planting.

In the spot planned for the phlox I've had some bad luck getting anything going but as mentioned several years ago I discovered phlox could handle those rather rocky edges of my front yard flower bed (which is also a small driveway hillside), and so I have some experience with phlox. However, this would be the first time for me trying sedum, and since those was the smallest plants I just want to make sure they have the best chance at surviving even if it would make it another year before I could fill in the spots I had planned for it.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
April 23, 2014
Posted on September 25, 2013, updated April 23, 2014
Posted on May 22, 2013, updated September 25, 2013
Based on the positive reviews, I placed my first order with Romence Gardens. I received the biggest Japanese anemones I have ever received (four different companies over the years) with great packaging, quick delivery, and excellent communication.

They are bigger than the anemones in my garden!

I am so impressed. I don't quite know how they deliver such wonderful plants at so low a cost. They are just excellent.
On September 25th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I just received three Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light" from Romence Gardens. I ordered them TWO days ago, and they just arrived. They are the size of garden center plants costing about 50% more, and they were packed with great care. I am so impressed by the plants from this nursery. They are beautiful plants.

I should add that I sent an mail inquiry on September 21st, asking if I could pre-order for their next delivery date, which was to be in May, according to the website. I was answered so promptly and courteously by Andrea Shingledecker, who stated that the website did not reflect that the plants were indeed available now that, four days after sending my email, these beautiful grasses are here, waiting for me to install them.

I am very pleased.
On April 23rd, 2014, DonnaMack added the following:

Does it get any better than Romence? I just received three spectacular Miscanthus Huron Sunrise after receiving TERRIBLE plants from another company. And three alchemilla mollis plants that were so sound that although the delivery service managed to turn two of them upside down, there is no dirt, and no damage. Large plants, expertly packaged, fairly priced. These are plants that you can put directly into a prominent place, not ones you have to hide until they bulk up.

Such a fine company.
Positive TommyLand
Wadsworth, OH
January 27, 2014
Posted on July 3, 2010, updated January 27, 2014
This is my second year to order from this company, and I continue to be amazed at the speed and care with which the orders are shipped. Almost all plants are healthy and in superb condition when they arrive. One salvia from last year's order did not survive the winter, and all three plants were replaced free of charge this spring. The staff is quick to call about any problems, and all e-mails are answered immediately. I am also impressed by the number of unusual plants offered at their website.
On January 27th, 2014, TommyLand added the following:

2013 ... another year when I spent a significant part of my plant budget at Romence ... and another year when I was very satisfied with the quality of their plants, their care in shipping, and their customer service. One of the plants I had ordered the previous year, Alstroemeria Inca Ice 'Koice,' did not survive the winter, and Andrea replaced all four pots of it with no charge, even for shipping. Romence creates relationships, not just customers.
Positive AJNYC
Astoria, NY
August 22, 2013
I ordered a number of plants from them for the first time this season. This is a wonderful company. All but one plant arrived in perfect condition. The one plant that was struggling did not survive and the company quickly sent out a replacement. Hassel free, responsive and wonderful customer service. The plants have been looking great all season.
Positive Marigold33
WHITESTONE, NY
July 27, 2013
I bought gaillardias from Romence Gardens last year and the plants were a good size, healthy and they survived our NY winter! This year I gave a shot at buying a rose bush offered in 10" or gal. pots. The rose bush Sparkle N Shine had 6 roses blooming when I received it, it was a large bush, very healthy and impeccably packaged. The freight is a bit pricy but that's what it costs when you get a shipment that large, whereas I bought a plant from another vendor and they charged me for a gal. plant meanwhile I received a small package with an 8" rose bush that never thrived and I still paid for a gal size shipment, ridiculous! After Sparkle N Shine I ordered Eyeconic Pink Lemonade, another stellar plant that they sent me, and I just received my Cherry Parfait and it's outstanding! It's worth every penny and I plan on ordering from them again, highly recommended and wonderful customer service to boot, how can you beat that?
Marianne
Positive RoryMichele
Cedar Rapids, IA
July 4, 2013
I ordered "Fire Spinners" from Romence Gardens. The plants arrived quickly, were packed very, very well, and were in great shape when they got here. They were quite large as well. I planted them and all four are thriving. Great customer service and products. I would highly recommend.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
July 1, 2013
I just got my first order from RG and I am not disappointed. I have heard a lot of nice things about them and the reasonable shipping. I ordered two coneflowers for about the same price I have been paying for a three or four inch pot I got gallon size pots. I was very impressed with the size of the plants and the packing. Great company and I would recommend them to everyone.
Positive spinnerama
Chicago, IL
May 25, 2013
Posted on February 29, 2012, updated May 25, 2013
Excellent inventory, at some of the lowest prices I've seen anywhere. And really nice, helpful people. Over the past couple of years I have consolidated quite a few of my plant orders from various sources and have given them all to Romence.
On May 25th, 2013, spinnerama added the following:

Positive claudianjoe
Plainfield, IL (Zone 5a)
May 23, 2013
Excellent company!!! I can't believe how fast and well packaged my plants arrived to me. I ordered 36 annuals. They were like I bought them at my normal garden center. Full sized and healthy! I am going back to order more.
Positive cerealkiller
Ramtown, NJ
May 19, 2013
I can't explain how impressed I am with Andrea and her associates based my experience with this company. She treated my requests with courtesy and and a bit of humor. In part, I have to also thank Dave's impressive site for his top thirty listings since I have not gone wrong with them, especially since I've had issues with some orders from other entities that have been posted by some members as "positives" that have contributed to this website and are not listed in the top 30 category. Andrea's responsiveness and ease of communications does credit to the company. By the way, I am in Howell, NJ, but don't know how to correct the error. Not important either way. BTW, the Forester came in perfect.
Positive MDepicci
Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a)
May 17, 2013
The plants I have ordered from here are packaged like Fort Knox. Every single plant I have ordered from this place has been in absolutely outstanding condition. Customer service has been wonderful - not that I've needed it much.

It has all the basics in annuals (not your heirloom, highly unusual types), but in a far wider variety you'll get anywhere else. Good selection of perennials as well.

If they are selling the plant you want, definitely get it here.
Positive Mollymoosmom
Wolf Trap, VA
May 8, 2013
It is easy to understand why this company is a Top 5. Their communication and customer service are excellent. They let me know my order would be delayed because their local weather affected the growth of the plants. I received an email letting me know the plants were shipped. The plants are large and in excellent condition. The packaging is incredible.
Positive lucyi
Countryside, IL
May 1, 2013
I've received my first order from Romence Gardens today and I have to say I am very happy. The plants are large and very healthy. Packaging is outstanding too. I was also impressed with the communication throughout the process: I got a confirmation email when I placed the order, then I received another email with the scheduled shipping date and the date when the card would be charged (yes, they don't charge the card right away, only the day before the scheduled shipping date), and another email to let me know that the order has shipped. Then you'll also get the tracking number from FedEx.
Long story short: great experience, very happy with the purchase and will definitely order more from them.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
October 28, 2012
To be honest, I am not exactly sure which plants I ordered from Romence because I received different orders from different nurseries around the same time. I do remember how they stand out in terms of quality of plants and services (shipping and communication). I will definitely order from them again and recommend them highly.
Positive joefalkner
Gisela, AZ
September 30, 2012
Wow! The plants were much larger than I expected and in great shape when I received them. I even sent them a thank you email because I was so pleased with their service--probably the best online source I have tried.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
July 13, 2012
I placed a test order after discovering Romence here on Dave's. I received my order today (it was shipped promptly ) and what an absolute delight! Each plant is large, robust, and extremely healthy and each was very reasonably priced. No soil was lost in transit due to their great packaging system, too. Customer service has also been fantastic. Not only did they keep me updated as to the status of my order but, when I emailed them in regard to 2 out of stock plants, I received an immediate reply that was both helpful and courteous. Truly a 5 star nursery!!! I will definitely order from them again. Again, 5 stars!!!
Positive LeoColorado
Longmont, CO
July 11, 2012
One plant I desired for my 'birds, butterflies, and bees' section wasn't available locally, so I checked GardenWatch and chose Romence. I have to say Andrea, their shipping person, packed it perfectly, as though anticipating the destruction and abuse the package suffered at the hands of FedEx - (labeled though the box was for 'careful handling - live plant' and such). Her packaging care saved the plant beautifully, and it looked like it'd survive the intense shock of shipping. As it did! It is now a tall, attractive blooming element in my yard. Further testimony to their care: two plants I also ordered have not been shipped until they can verify the corms will sprout - no shipping of 'maybe' plants - something I've had from other vendors. Five star, if I could give stars
Positive art56
Buffalo, NY
July 7, 2012
I ordered a 1 gallon toad lily and a 1 gallon burning heart. Both arrived extremely well packaged, planted in soil, with beautiful, healthy foliage. They shipped the morning after i ordered and arrived in 2 days. Both plants are thriving!
Positive kitten0115
La Vergne, TN
July 4, 2012
i ordered 3 heucherella redstone falls. i recieved them very fast and boy were they beautiful. 3 very large 1 gallon pots. i would really buy from that again
Positive jane_stevens9
Wichita, KS
June 26, 2012
Posted on June 6, 2012, updated June 26, 2012
What beautiful, healthy plants I found in the bottom of a well-packed box! I will be coming back again and again because
of the size and health of their plants. Another positive is that the boxes arrived in less than a week.
Happy gardening everyone and remember this company the next time you want to order plants from an online company. The only company that can begin to compare with Romence is Garden Crossings, which is also in Michigan.
On June 26th, 2012, jane_stevens9 added the following:

I need more plants like I need a hole in the head, but getting shipments from Romence is such a pleasure I just keep ordering.
Yes, I do find nooks and crannies for new plants. Kudos to this perfectly wonderful company!
Positive beautifulbounty
Concrete, WA
June 16, 2012
I recently decided to give mail order another try. In the past the companys I dealt with sent VERY small plants. Well, not so with Romence Gardens. WOW!!! Beautiful, healthy plants that are excellent in size. I ordered 24 plants and only 2 were smaller than their silblings. I live on the West coast and most of the plants arrived on Friday. One box came on Monday and while the plants were drooping a little, with some water and light they perked right up. The plants were WELL packaged. The order was missing a couple tags and one was broke but I make my own tags so this wasn't a problem for me anyway. This company has great prices. Their website was easy to transverse, their communication was very good. I would not hesitate to order from them again. They are in my favorites list.
Positive yumabase
Youngstown, NY
June 15, 2012
Unfortunately, I just found these great people this spring.
Don't hesitate to purchase anything from them, they are very responsive, fast shipping and in the best packaging I have ever seen. By the way there plants are superb also. I will be back to order from these people again next spring.

Positive laughingraccoon
Camp Creek, WV
June 9, 2012
I ordered a Pearly Everlasting, Lemon Verbena and Stevia plant. They arrived promptly and in great shape. I've gotten leery about ordering plants online as more times than not, they have had a rough trip. Not this time. This was the best packed order of plants I've ever received. I don't think there was even a speck of dirt dislodged. I even sent them an email telling them they should teach a "packing plants 101", to every company that ships plants. I got a very nice reply thanking me for my comments, that I really didn't expect. I know people are eager to lodge a complaint, so that I thought it would be nice to let them know they were doing something very right. The plants arrived very healthy and are thriving. I was especially delighted with the Pearly Everlasting. I had been looking for this plant for years. I know it used to grow in the wild in this area, and I even keep an eye out when I am in the woods. I was surprised and pleased to find it for sale. From now on, if I am looking for a plant, you can bet I will check here first. I would definitely do business with Romence anytime. They know how to do plants right!
Positive haleighbob
Van Buren, IN
June 7, 2012
Great Healthy Big Plants, packed very well. I emailed with a question on one plant I ordered and it was taken care of in a very timely matter. I will buy from again and tell my friends. Best mail order plantsI have ever recieved!
Positive alina_1
Gaithersburg, MD
May 30, 2012
Posted on April 25, 2011, updated May 30, 2012
This is my first order from this company. I am very pleased. I ordered 3 Hellebores and a Hakonechloa. The company representative contacted me and informed that Hakonechloa plants are small and offered to postpone the order or to remove H. from the order. I needed Hellebores as soon as possible, so I canceled
Hakonechloa . When the Hellebores arrived, I was really impressed with the size and the condition of the plants. Shipping cost was reasonable; the plants were packed very well. Would definitely recommend this company.
On May 30th, 2012, alina_1 added the following:

Placed my second order this May. Bought four plants. Absolutely happy with the size and quality! The Hakonechloa 'Fubuki' is on the smaller side, but I know that this variety is very slow to grow. When I replanted it, the root ball still had size and shape of the 3" pot (covered with potting medium in 1 gallon pot).

Very well packed. Shipping cost is really low compared to other companies. Two Heuchera plants are very large and healthy.

Thanks again for the excellent service!
Positive julianchandler
Stillwater, OK
May 22, 2012
I recently bought 10 Obsidian heucheras from Romence (a first-time customer). The plants arrived at my door in two huge boxes more quickly than I would have thought possible. They were so well packed that I believe nothing short of a direct hit with a hand grenade would have disturbed them at all. I have ordered many plants online, and most of them were packed pretty well, but Romence goes above and beyond.