The scoop on 'Romence Gardens & Greenhouses'

Romence Gardens & Greenhouses

Romence Gardens & Greenhouses has 1465 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Romence Gardens & Greenhouses is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

265 Lakeside Dr. NE
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503 (United States)

Phone: 616-451-8214
Fax: 616-451-1994

Visit Romence Gardens & Greenhouses at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive TommyLand
Wadsworth, OH
January 27, 2014
Posted on July 3, 2010, updated January 27, 2014
This is my second year to order from this company, and I continue to be amazed at the speed and care with which the orders are shipped. Almost all plants are healthy and in superb condition when they arrive. One salvia from last year's order did not survive the winter, and all three plants were replaced free of charge this spring. The staff is quick to call about any problems, and all e-mails are answered immediately. I am also impressed by the number of unusual plants offered at their website.
On January 27th, 2014, TommyLand added the following:

2013 ... another year when I spent a significant part of my plant budget at Romence ... and another year when I was very satisfied with the quality of their plants, their care in shipping, and their customer service. One of the plants I had ordered the previous year, Alstroemeria Inca Ice 'Koice,' did not survive the winter, and Andrea replaced all four pots of it with no charge, even for shipping. Romence creates relationships, not just customers.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
September 25, 2013
Posted on May 22, 2013, updated September 25, 2013
Based on the positive reviews, I placed my first order with Romence Gardens. I received the biggest Japanese anemones I have ever received (four different companies over the years) with great packaging, quick delivery, and excellent communication.

They are bigger than the anemones in my garden!

I am so impressed. I don't quite know how they deliver such wonderful plants at so low a cost. They are just excellent.
On September 25th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I just received three Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light" from Romence Gardens. I ordered them TWO days ago, and they just arrived. They are the size of garden center plants costing about 50% more, and they were packed with great care. I am so impressed by the plants from this nursery. They are beautiful plants.

I should add that I sent an mail inquiry on September 21st, asking if I could pre-order for their next delivery date, which was to be in May, according to the website. I was answered so promptly and courteously by Andrea Shingledecker, who stated that the website did not reflect that the plants were indeed available now that, four days after sending my email, these beautiful grasses are here, waiting for me to install them.

I am very pleased.
Positive Gully
Ellicott City, MD
September 7, 2013
Posted on June 20, 2013, updated September 7, 2013
Posted on May 30, 2013, updated June 20, 2013
Posted on May 23, 2013, updated May 30, 2013
Posted on May 10, 2013, updated May 23, 2013
I ordered eight petunias with colors I could not find in my local nurseries. All arrived promptly and perfectly packaged. Each was loaded with flowers and in the peak of health. Outstanding experience!
On May 23rd, 2013, Gully added the following:

Received my second order from Romence Gardens today. Huge, beautiful pinks that were of higher quality than could be found in a local nursery. Packed perfectly, not one speck of soil out of place and loaded with blooms. I like that the plant markers are taped to the box beside the plant. Easy to see at a glance what is what in your order. Prompt shipping, perfect packing, and big healthy plants. What's not to like?
On May 30th, 2013, Gully added the following:

Took a chance and ordered a couple of roses. So glad I did, beautiful, full grown, packed expertly, and gorgeous!
On June 20th, 2013, Gully added the following:

Plants, flowers, and roses were fantastic. This time I needed to pick up a couple of tomato plants (the only variety they seem to have around here is Big Boy). Plants arrived quickly and were an excellent size. Also picked up a couple of pots of dwarf fountain grass which were in the peak of health. This has become my go to garden place - great communication, terrific plants, perfect packaging...thanks Romence Gardens!
On September 7th, 2013, Gully added the following:

Ordered four mums for the autumn season. Plants again arrived on time. Big healthy plants, soil was moist, not a leaf out of place. Will look forward to ordering everything I need from them in the spring.
Positive AJNYC
Astoria, NY
August 22, 2013
I ordered a number of plants from them for the first time this season. This is a wonderful company. All but one plant arrived in perfect condition. The one plant that was struggling did not survive and the company quickly sent out a replacement. Hassel free, responsive and wonderful customer service. The plants have been looking great all season.
Positive Marigold33
WHITESTONE, NY
July 27, 2013
I bought gaillardias from Romence Gardens last year and the plants were a good size, healthy and they survived our NY winter! This year I gave a shot at buying a rose bush offered in 10" or gal. pots. The rose bush Sparkle N Shine had 6 roses blooming when I received it, it was a large bush, very healthy and impeccably packaged. The freight is a bit pricy but that's what it costs when you get a shipment that large, whereas I bought a plant from another vendor and they charged me for a gal. plant meanwhile I received a small package with an 8" rose bush that never thrived and I still paid for a gal size shipment, ridiculous! After Sparkle N Shine I ordered Eyeconic Pink Lemonade, another stellar plant that they sent me, and I just received my Cherry Parfait and it's outstanding! It's worth every penny and I plan on ordering from them again, highly recommended and wonderful customer service to boot, how can you beat that?
Marianne
Positive RoryMichele
Cedar Rapids, IA
July 4, 2013
I ordered "Fire Spinners" from Romence Gardens. The plants arrived quickly, were packed very, very well, and were in great shape when they got here. They were quite large as well. I planted them and all four are thriving. Great customer service and products. I would highly recommend.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
July 1, 2013
I just got my first order from RG and I am not disappointed. I have heard a lot of nice things about them and the reasonable shipping. I ordered two coneflowers for about the same price I have been paying for a three or four inch pot I got gallon size pots. I was very impressed with the size of the plants and the packing. Great company and I would recommend them to everyone.
Positive spinnerama
Chicago, IL
May 25, 2013
Posted on February 29, 2012, updated May 25, 2013
Excellent inventory, at some of the lowest prices I've seen anywhere. And really nice, helpful people. Over the past couple of years I have consolidated quite a few of my plant orders from various sources and have given them all to Romence.
On May 25th, 2013, spinnerama added the following:

Positive claudianjoe
Plainfield, IL (Zone 5a)
May 23, 2013
Excellent company!!! I can't believe how fast and well packaged my plants arrived to me. I ordered 36 annuals. They were like I bought them at my normal garden center. Full sized and healthy! I am going back to order more.
Positive cerealkiller
Ramtown, NJ
May 19, 2013
I can't explain how impressed I am with Andrea and her associates based my experience with this company. She treated my requests with courtesy and and a bit of humor. In part, I have to also thank Dave's impressive site for his top thirty listings since I have not gone wrong with them, especially since I've had issues with some orders from other entities that have been posted by some members as "positives" that have contributed to this website and are not listed in the top 30 category. Andrea's responsiveness and ease of communications does credit to the company. By the way, I am in Howell, NJ, but don't know how to correct the error. Not important either way. BTW, the Forester came in perfect.
Positive MDepicci
Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a)
May 17, 2013
The plants I have ordered from here are packaged like Fort Knox. Every single plant I have ordered from this place has been in absolutely outstanding condition. Customer service has been wonderful - not that I've needed it much.

It has all the basics in annuals (not your heirloom, highly unusual types), but in a far wider variety you'll get anywhere else. Good selection of perennials as well.

If they are selling the plant you want, definitely get it here.
Positive Mollymoosmom
Wolf Trap, VA
May 8, 2013
It is easy to understand why this company is a Top 5. Their communication and customer service are excellent. They let me know my order would be delayed because their local weather affected the growth of the plants. I received an email letting me know the plants were shipped. The plants are large and in excellent condition. The packaging is incredible.
Positive lucyi
Countryside, IL
May 1, 2013
I've received my first order from Romence Gardens today and I have to say I am very happy. The plants are large and very healthy. Packaging is outstanding too. I was also impressed with the communication throughout the process: I got a confirmation email when I placed the order, then I received another email with the scheduled shipping date and the date when the card would be charged (yes, they don't charge the card right away, only the day before the scheduled shipping date), and another email to let me know that the order has shipped. Then you'll also get the tracking number from FedEx.
Long story short: great experience, very happy with the purchase and will definitely order more from them.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
October 28, 2012
To be honest, I am not exactly sure which plants I ordered from Romence because I received different orders from different nurseries around the same time. I do remember how they stand out in terms of quality of plants and services (shipping and communication). I will definitely order from them again and recommend them highly.
Positive joefalkner
Gisela, AZ
September 30, 2012
Wow! The plants were much larger than I expected and in great shape when I received them. I even sent them a thank you email because I was so pleased with their service--probably the best online source I have tried.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
July 13, 2012
I placed a test order after discovering Romence here on Dave's. I received my order today (it was shipped promptly ) and what an absolute delight! Each plant is large, robust, and extremely healthy and each was very reasonably priced. No soil was lost in transit due to their great packaging system, too. Customer service has also been fantastic. Not only did they keep me updated as to the status of my order but, when I emailed them in regard to 2 out of stock plants, I received an immediate reply that was both helpful and courteous. Truly a 5 star nursery!!! I will definitely order from them again. Again, 5 stars!!!
Positive LeoColorado
Longmont, CO
July 11, 2012
One plant I desired for my 'birds, butterflies, and bees' section wasn't available locally, so I checked GardenWatch and chose Romence. I have to say Andrea, their shipping person, packed it perfectly, as though anticipating the destruction and abuse the package suffered at the hands of FedEx - (labeled though the box was for 'careful handling - live plant' and such). Her packaging care saved the plant beautifully, and it looked like it'd survive the intense shock of shipping. As it did! It is now a tall, attractive blooming element in my yard. Further testimony to their care: two plants I also ordered have not been shipped until they can verify the corms will sprout - no shipping of 'maybe' plants - something I've had from other vendors. Five star, if I could give stars
Positive art56
Buffalo, NY
July 7, 2012
I ordered a 1 gallon toad lily and a 1 gallon burning heart. Both arrived extremely well packaged, planted in soil, with beautiful, healthy foliage. They shipped the morning after i ordered and arrived in 2 days. Both plants are thriving!
Positive kitten0115
La Vergne, TN
July 4, 2012
i ordered 3 heucherella redstone falls. i recieved them very fast and boy were they beautiful. 3 very large 1 gallon pots. i would really buy from that again
Positive jane_stevens9
Wichita, KS
June 26, 2012
Posted on June 6, 2012, updated June 26, 2012
What beautiful, healthy plants I found in the bottom of a well-packed box! I will be coming back again and again because
of the size and health of their plants. Another positive is that the boxes arrived in less than a week.
Happy gardening everyone and remember this company the next time you want to order plants from an online company. The only company that can begin to compare with Romence is Garden Crossings, which is also in Michigan.
On June 26th, 2012, jane_stevens9 added the following:

I need more plants like I need a hole in the head, but getting shipments from Romence is such a pleasure I just keep ordering.
Yes, I do find nooks and crannies for new plants. Kudos to this perfectly wonderful company!
Positive beautifulbounty
Concrete, WA
June 16, 2012
I recently decided to give mail order another try. In the past the companys I dealt with sent VERY small plants. Well, not so with Romence Gardens. WOW!!! Beautiful, healthy plants that are excellent in size. I ordered 24 plants and only 2 were smaller than their silblings. I live on the West coast and most of the plants arrived on Friday. One box came on Monday and while the plants were drooping a little, with some water and light they perked right up. The plants were WELL packaged. The order was missing a couple tags and one was broke but I make my own tags so this wasn't a problem for me anyway. This company has great prices. Their website was easy to transverse, their communication was very good. I would not hesitate to order from them again. They are in my favorites list.
Positive yumabase
Youngstown, NY
June 15, 2012
Unfortunately, I just found these great people this spring.
Don't hesitate to purchase anything from them, they are very responsive, fast shipping and in the best packaging I have ever seen. By the way there plants are superb also. I will be back to order from these people again next spring.

Positive laughingraccoon
Camp Creek, WV
June 9, 2012
I ordered a Pearly Everlasting, Lemon Verbena and Stevia plant. They arrived promptly and in great shape. I've gotten leery about ordering plants online as more times than not, they have had a rough trip. Not this time. This was the best packed order of plants I've ever received. I don't think there was even a speck of dirt dislodged. I even sent them an email telling them they should teach a "packing plants 101", to every company that ships plants. I got a very nice reply thanking me for my comments, that I really didn't expect. I know people are eager to lodge a complaint, so that I thought it would be nice to let them know they were doing something very right. The plants arrived very healthy and are thriving. I was especially delighted with the Pearly Everlasting. I had been looking for this plant for years. I know it used to grow in the wild in this area, and I even keep an eye out when I am in the woods. I was surprised and pleased to find it for sale. From now on, if I am looking for a plant, you can bet I will check here first. I would definitely do business with Romence anytime. They know how to do plants right!
Positive haleighbob
Van Buren, IN
June 7, 2012
Great Healthy Big Plants, packed very well. I emailed with a question on one plant I ordered and it was taken care of in a very timely matter. I will buy from again and tell my friends. Best mail order plantsI have ever recieved!
Positive alina_1
Gaithersburg, MD
May 30, 2012
Posted on April 25, 2011, updated May 30, 2012
This is my first order from this company. I am very pleased. I ordered 3 Hellebores and a Hakonechloa. The company representative contacted me and informed that Hakonechloa plants are small and offered to postpone the order or to remove H. from the order. I needed Hellebores as soon as possible, so I canceled
Hakonechloa . When the Hellebores arrived, I was really impressed with the size and the condition of the plants. Shipping cost was reasonable; the plants were packed very well. Would definitely recommend this company.
On May 30th, 2012, alina_1 added the following:

Placed my second order this May. Bought four plants. Absolutely happy with the size and quality! The Hakonechloa 'Fubuki' is on the smaller side, but I know that this variety is very slow to grow. When I replanted it, the root ball still had size and shape of the 3" pot (covered with potting medium in 1 gallon pot).

Very well packed. Shipping cost is really low compared to other companies. Two Heuchera plants are very large and healthy.

Thanks again for the excellent service!
Positive julianchandler
Stillwater, OK
May 22, 2012
I recently bought 10 Obsidian heucheras from Romence (a first-time customer). The plants arrived at my door in two huge boxes more quickly than I would have thought possible. They were so well packed that I believe nothing short of a direct hit with a hand grenade would have disturbed them at all. I have ordered many plants online, and most of them were packed pretty well, but Romence goes above and beyond.
Positive Ticker
Lisbon, IA (Zone 5a)
May 21, 2012
I ordered a flat of hard to find petunias that they arrived quickly and were packed extremely well. Yes, I will be ordering from these folks again. Thank you!!
Positive steve1young
Huntington Station, NY
May 16, 2012
I still can't get over how incredibly wonderful my ordering experience has been with Romence Gardens. I order online from a number of different sources including Bluestone Perennials, Santa Rosa Gardens, Forestfarm, and Lazy SS Farm. I've always been very satisfied with them, but I'm even more impressed with Romence Gardens. The plants were HUGE and the packaging was very smart and very easy to unpack. I still can't believe S&H didn't cost more! I still can't believe the plants didn't cost more! I can't wait to order from them again!!
Positive rosada
Cedar Falls, IA (Zone 4b)
May 13, 2012
Perfect packaging. My Senorita Rosalitas arrived in ideal condition.
I'm delighted and will order from them again.
Positive njjpl
Pequannock, NJ
May 12, 2012
As always, the plants are amazing!!! The packaging is great.
I have NEVER been disappointed by Romence Gardens.
Positive clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
May 10, 2012
All I can say is WOW! My friend couldn't find White Russian petunias around here, and Romence had them. I ordered some of those, as well as some lantana I had been searching for. My order was acknowledged
right away, the plants arrived so quickly I couldn't believe it! Beautifully packed, not as leaf out of place, with very reasonable shipping cost.....What more can you ask for? Romence has five stars in my book and I WILL be back!! Thanks Romence for a great experience and beautiful plants!
Positive anemitz
Osseo, MN
May 5, 2012
I placed my first order with Romence Gardens at the end of April. I was very impressed with the breadth of their selection as I was seeking a plant variety, while being native to my area, not easily available locally or on the web. The other posted comments are extremely accurate about the fast response regarding delivery timing and the packaging really is remarkable!

My plants rrived yesterday and I was very pleased with how easy it was to unpack everything (100% mess free!) and the outstanding condition, rigor, and size of the plants. Now if only the rain would stop long enough so I can get these babies in the ground!

I look forward to many future orders with this company!
Positive shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA (Zone 7a)
May 5, 2012
I purchased 8 Delphinium - King Arthur. They were packed perfectly! Fast shipping, excellent looking plants. I have never received better packing. I will order from them again.

Kathy
Positive mcbc
Deerfield, NH
May 3, 2012
Everything came as promised when promised. Very good plants. Unlike the big box stores they hadn't already bloomed out and their selection is outstanding. many varieties that can't be found locally. I have nothing but praise for their operation.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
April 30, 2012
I first ordered from this company only a few weeks ago because they had a daylily "Nosferatu" at such a reasonable price and reasonable shipping cost. It arrived pretty quickly and was packaged very well-no dirt all over the box. It was potted and had healthy fans. I was going to order a rose bush from them, but that shipping cost was too high. But today I just ordered another daylily, Bella Lugosi, much more reasonable than another daylily site and reasonable shipping, again almost half the cost of another sites shipping minimum charge. Will continue to give this company my business for items that ship at the low rate.
Positive Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA (Zone 8a)
April 26, 2012
My first order with Romence arrived today and it was even better than expected. The plants were large and very healthy. Packaging was outstanding too. I was also impressed with the communication throughout the transaction. A couple of items were not ready to ship on the scheduled date, and Romence informed me of this and provided a revised ahipping date for those items. Very few companies can match Romence for professional level of service and excellent quality of plants. I will be ordering again soon.
Positive denisemb
Ocala, FL (Zone 9a)
April 26, 2012
Healthly large plants, outstanding packaging and communication, fast shipping at reasonable price. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive egardens
Hutto, TX
April 21, 2012
Order some daylilies. Great packing, came in pots as whole plants with good number of healthy fans on each plant. Really a great deal compared to most other daylily vendors.
Positive willisjw
Frederick, MD
April 20, 2012
I was blown away by the fine packaging and quality plants. We ordered 4 Astilbe and they came in 1 gal pots with as fine a protective shipping system as I have ever seen.
Positive joyhil
Raleigh, NC
April 19, 2012
Just received the first half of my order. Shipped on date promised. Plants look great. Romance Garden also has the best communication! Fast reply to e-mail questions and sent tracking links too. I have purchased from them before and will continue to do so.