The scoop on 'Secret Garden Growers'

Secret Garden Growers

Secret Garden Growers has 495 products listed in PlantScout.

29100 S. Needy Road
Canby, Oregon 97013 (United States)

Phone: (503) 651-2006

Visit Secret Garden Growers at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive LindaMorita
Huntington Beach, CA
April 11, 2014
First time buyer (Zingiber Mioga 'Dancing Crane'). Service was outstanding starting from the immediate e-mail confirmation that order received, when it would ship, notification of shipment and ability to track it (UPS). When my plants arrived, they were in perfect shape - well supported, enough moisture packed with plant via damp newspaper. Complete instructions for immediate care and planting were included. I am hooked! Will be watching for more interesting offerings from Secret Garden Growers.
Positive BoiseMimi
Garden City, ID
September 5, 2013
This is my first experience with mail-order plants, as we have an excellent nursery in town that carries tons of perennials that grow very well here. However, it's the end of the season, so availability is limited. Furthermore, I live much higher than my zip code would indicate, and the bed I wanted the plants for is exposed to continuous north winds; hence, I needed plants that would thrive in a colder zone number than people usually use for our valley. I submitted my order in the evening; that night, I realized I had counted wrong, so I sent off an e-mail the next a.m. to see if I could add to the order. I got an almost immediate positive reply. The plants arrived today, two days after shipping, sent priority mail. Of course, I had been careful to select a grower who is just one state away. The six plants are absolutely gorgeous. They were amazingly well-packed, with damp newspaper wrapped around the base of the stem at soil level to help keep the soil moist. The pots and the paper were encased in plastic, and the top of the plant was carefully wrapped in newspaper for protection. They were then packed in an appropriately sized carton and arrived with everything except one blade of grass (just slightly bent) in perfect condition. Can't wait to see these green babies come springtime. I would definitely order from Secret Garden Growers again.
Negative wmc
Oak Park, IL (Zone 5a)
June 11, 2013
Posted on June 11, 2013, updated June 11, 2013
Posted on May 20, 2012, updated June 11, 2013
I was a challenging customer, complaining about shipping costs (roughly 50% of the plant costs), receiving another customer's packing slip with my order, and the small size of two of plants that I received (platycodon grandiflora), one that was dormant and did not survive, the other is still on the intensive care list. Nonetheless, Pat was patient and persistent. She explained her shipping policy (it was my choice, after all), replaced the plant that didn't survive with one big enough to divide if the other one dies, and apologized for the packing slip mix up. The diversity of plant choices at SGG is most impressive. Problems with orders are unavoidable. Efforts to make an order right makes for customer satisfaction.
On June 11th, 2013, wmc changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

In retrospect, my initial "positive" review was overly generous which is probably evident by the content of that review. Turns out that none of the platycodon grandiflora survived what was not a harsh Chicago area winter, despite being rated by Secret Garden Growers for my zone. When I asked for a refund just for those plants (not for others that are thriving and not for the expensive shipping costs), my request was declined, accompanied by a quote from their policy "for the record" and throw-away comments like "certain plants just don't perform." My experience with this vendor is in stark contrast with those who have received positive reviews from me including instances of plants being replaced or refunds provided after not surviving a winter. Instead, this vendor stated that "I do not see that the plants not making it a year after the fact reflects on the quality or health of our plants in any way." Agreed, but these plants were advertised for my zone and failed to perform accordingly, even though they were in good health "last year."
On June 11th, 2013, wmc added the following:

It certainly can be argued that this vendor acted within their bounds (and they do make that argument) and that I have little or no room to complain. Perhaps, but there are other vendors who suspend "policy" in an effort to stand by their product and invest in nurturing return customers. Penny wise. . .
Company representative comment on June 12, 2013:
On Jun 12, 2013 8:01 PM, Secret Garden Growers responded with:

This plant order was shipped over a year ago in April of 2012. Some customers feel they can bully the vendors here on Dave’s by promising to “give us a good review” if we do what they want and “give us a negative review” if we don’t. I don’t feel that is what the review system here is all about. It would be unfair to all of our customers if we start making exceptions to our policies to get good reviews! A LOT can happen to a plant in 14 months...

Positive ferncrazy
San Francisco, CA
May 26, 2013
Their website is well-organized. The plants shipped were packaged beautifully and the plants were gorgeous, excellent size, terrific condition. I can't recommend them highly enough!
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
September 27, 2012
Fast shipping. Plants look very nice when arrived. Customer service was prompt when I inquired about the shipping date.
Positive mielbee12
Seattle, WA
March 22, 2012
I received my plants 3 days after I ordered them. They were in generous pots and in great condition. They are a good size- big enough that you won't forget you planted them but small enough that they weren't cramped in shipping. Customer service was prompt and I will definitely be buying from them again.
Positive Trinikat
Cooper City, FL
September 23, 2011
I had a great experience with this company. The communication was excellent and they went above and beyond to ensure that I was completely satisfied. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. I highly recommend.
Positive roberta1977
Orchard Park, NY (Zone 5a)
August 26, 2011
I ordered several plants that I had had problems finding locally (and in some cases online) including Japanese Forest Grass 'Albostriata" and some Epimedium. I paid extra for 2-3 day shipping as they are in Oregon and I am in New York; the shipping costs were worth it to me as I could not find some of the plants elsewhere. The plants arrived promptly and in very good shape, well packed and healthy. When one of the boxes did not arrive with the other two, I contacted Secret Garden Growers and they checked up on the shipment and the third box came the next day. I will definitely order from them again.
Negative Just_Grow_It
Manassas, VA
June 29, 2011
This company is not honest about it's plant sizes, and customer services is very poor if you try to report a problem.

I purchased 'Ipheion Uniflorum Ralph Fielder' from them. It was supposed to be a 3" pot sized plant. What I got was a plug sized plant that was hastily re-potted into a 3 inch pot (without growing out!). With practices like that they might as well have stuck it in a gallon size pot and charge gallon sized prices.

When I contacted customer service to report the problem I was told that the reason the top growth was so small was that it was going dormant, but they insisted that it had an extensive root system (with multiple bulbs underneath). They were very adamant about it and made it clear that the matter was not open to discussion.

I knew that they were clueless because the top wasn't dormant at all (it was green and actively growing), but I let it slide and hoped there really would be something underneath. Nope. When I pulled it out of the pot to plant it I found hardly any roots at all (they matched the measly top growth) and there was ONE small tuber (about the size of a marble).

The plant was a total rip off. I'm sorry I ever ordered from them.
Company representative comment on June 30, 2011:
On Jun 30, 2011 8:36 AM, Secret Garden Growers responded with:

I have no idea why this customer chose to make a negative post here on Dave's Garden rather than respond to my email about the plant that was purchased. I explained that there were multiple bulbs in each pot and that the tops were starting to go dormant and asked her to "please check the below ground portions of the plant and let me know if she still felt the same way". I also stated that "we wanted her to be HAPPY with her new plants" and that "we stand behind every plant we grow". I am the grower, I am the shipper. I am the customer service. I am not clueless. I am not dishonest. The plants were not from plugs. I would have been happy to replace or refund had this customer simply responded to my email that I sent her the same day I received her original complaint. I guess some people just need an audience...

Positive shellimac
Puyallup, WA
June 24, 2011
I am really pleased with the plants I ordered and received promptly. I will certainly be back for more. Karen Mcilroy Puyallup, Wa.
Positive weeders
Yukon, OK
May 22, 2009
Have ordered twice from this company. The plants received are lush and healthy. The shipping is very fast. This company is the best and their customer service is outstanding. Recommend Secret Garden Growers.
Positive Heavinscent
South West, LA (Zone 9a)
May 16, 2009
I ordered 2 plants and thought the $15.00 for shipping was a bit on the high side until they arrived today... I have never seen plants packed so well! Not even a leaf out of place. The plants themselves looked great, a very nice size for the price. I am all around impressed with Secret Garden Growers and I will be shopping with them again soon!
Positive gardennut123
April 29, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the plants I ordered and the extra care taken in packaging them for shipping. It was refreshing to deal with real people that went out of their way to provide personal customer service. Their plant selection is amazing...I will definitely be a regular customer!
Positive MandragoraMary
Danville, CA
April 10, 2009
Got my order today...I was so excited! So many rare and unusual selections to chose from. Felt like Christmas unwrapping each plant...all big, healthy and well rooted, packed with care and absolutelty undamaged. Loved the personal touch and prompt communication; it is obvious these people really love their plants and care about their customers. I do a lot of plant mail order and dealing with these guys was really refreshing! Will place another order soon - highly recommend this company!
Positive jdo1217
El Mirage, AZ (Zone 9b)
January 21, 2009
My order arrived today with all plants looking green and fresh despite having spent the MLK weekend at the post office. Plants are good sized and well rooted. Communication was great. I would definitely recommend this company.
Jane Osborne