The scoop on 'Kigi Nursery'

Kigi Nursery

Kigi Nursery has 1000 products listed in PlantScout.

121 Noble Ridge Drive
Kelso, Washington 98626 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 9, 2009:
We specialize in Rare, Weeping, Dwarf, Miniature and Unique Japanese Maples, Conifers, and Ginkgo are our staples. We are also adding products for Bonsai, Fairy Gardening and our own line of Organic Soils, Mulches, and Fertilizers. Products are updated weekly so check back often, we have many hard to find specimens.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive oemoc001
Madison, WI
May 23, 2015
I ordered one of my favorite trees, a Karl Fuchs Cedar. It arrived in very good shape and ready to plant. This tree came from California to Wisconsin in very good shape. Thanks for great packaging. Tree is about 4 ft and is 6 years old.
Negative jfphoto
San Antonio, TX
May 22, 2015
Posted on December 21, 2014, updated May 22, 2015
I recently received my order of conifers and maples from Kigi nursery. Plants are healthy and were packed very well.
This is the 4th time I\'ve ordered from Kigi and will continue to do so.

On May 22nd, 2015, jfphoto changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Back in the Fall of 2014 when I received my trees (conifers & japanese maples) , the maples were dormant.
In the spring when all of my other trees were beginning to show bud growth, the 3 newest maples ordered remained bare.

Time passed and they never started to bud out and the branches were beginning to look dry and brittle.
I called Kigi and told them about 1 tree and they credited me the price of $50. The other 2 trees died as well, so I called them again.
They told me that they had already credited me for 1 tree and wouldn't do so for the other 2. I was out $60.

The guy went on to tell me how all of their trees at the nursery were budding out nicely. A lot of good that did me.

Once I decide what to do with the $50 credit, I will no longer order anything from Kigi. I've ordered from other nurseries and their product sizes are far superior to that of Kigi for the same price.
Negative Garden_in_Texas
Austin, TX
May 16, 2015
On 4-28-15 I placed an order for a 2 yr old black pine, after seeing on Dave's garden that Kigi Nursery had the plant I was looking for. Kigi website did not have a picture of the actual plant or actual size of the plant. I paid $50 (including $15 shiping). I received a tiny plant just about 8" tall . Emailed Kigi the same afternoon I received the plant (5-6-15) but never got a response.

Same problem as others have commented on here, very small plants at a high price. I do not recommend this seller. I would not buy again from Kigi Nursery.
Positive saradus
Maple Park, IL
May 11, 2015
Posted on September 23, 2014, updated May 11, 2015
I recently placed and received my first order with Kigi and it was a great experience. I ordered a European beech and a dwarf conifer, 1 year plants. Both arrived in great condition with good root systems. Speedy delivery, 2 day priority - plants were packed carefully. Thanks Kigi!
On May 11th, 2015, saradus added the following:

I placed my second order with Kigi Nursery last year while they were having a holiday sale. They were kind enough to hold my order over the winter until proper planting time. My order arrived over the weekend, healthy young trees, excellent root systems, well packaged. Also, the two trees that I planted from Kigi last year (fall), a beech and a spruce, have leafed out/pushed new growth this spring. Very pleased with my experience.
Negative okcken
Oklahoma City, OK
May 6, 2015
Posted on May 6, 2015, updated May 6, 2015
I ordered a dwarf yew from Kigi. They had options for 1 year, 3, and 10 year. When I called Kigi, the rep (I think it was Jason) and inquired about the size of the plant for a 3 year growth, he said it would be a 1 gallon size plant. I went ahead and ordered the 3 year growth and paid $16.50 for shipping plus $45.00 for the plant and was expecting a nice big package (size of 1 gallon) to arrive at my door. When the shipment arrived, boy was I disappointed!!! A small plant that was wrapped in some dirt with a plastic wrapping around it!

When I called Kigi, the guy said that is a three year growth and we don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t ship them in gallon size containers! What a rip off!!! I have ordered from other places like Monrovia and a gallon size on the website was a gallon size when it arrived!

My recommendation to you is before you buy from places like Kigi please read some of their reviews...They don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have very good positive reviews....I would recommend buying from reputed places like Monrovia, Great Garden Plants in Michigan etc.

Buyer\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s remorse!

On May 6th, 2015, okcken added the following:

The rep\\\'s name was Justin not Jason as I mentioned....Just stay away from these guys...Too many negative reviews about them and also when you call and talk to them after receiving item, they are very defensive and short. No sense of customer service or try to compensate in anyway!
On May 6th, 2015, okcken added the following:

Looks like they get their plants from Buchholz & Buchholz Nursery in Oregon. When I called them to check, the guy that answered the phone was very rude and said \"I am very busy now and do not have the time to talk to you!\" So, go figure...this is their supplier....Something very fishy is going on here....

Justen,

I don't understand why you are getting so defensive with customers that have a legitimate complaint? Is this how you do business? You certainly do not have to please every customer but when there are 8 bad reviews about Kigi out of 20 positive with 2 neutral, that should say a lot about your nursery, should it not?
Company representative comment on May 6, 2015:
On May 6, 2015 1:54 PM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

We go out of our way to make reasonable customers happy! We obviously cannot please every customer and understand this. When a customer can't understand that a 3 year dwarf yew is not going to be "a big full plant like Monrovia sells" whatever that means... and wants us to return it so he doesn't get in trouble with the wife... Please, Please, Please understand the products you buy from us before we ship. A little research can avoid the "Buyer\\\\\\\'s remorse!" We are always happy to answer questions via e-mail or phone!

Justen

Negative rec
Hardy, VA
May 5, 2015
I placed an order with Kigi Nursery in November of 2014. I was disappointed to receive such small plants, some no more than 6 inches tall, even though they were called 2 year plants. After the Acer p. Aka Hosada failed to leaf out this spring and I realized it was dead, I contacted Justen on 4-8-15 about a replacement and he replied on 4-9-15 with " I would be happy to send a free replacement with your next order." Against better reasoning, I proceeded to request another small order just to get a replacement for the maple that I lost. After several emails I have yet to get a response from the nursery. I would recommend anyone considering placing an order with this nursery look elsewhere. You can find bigger and healthier plants and spend less at a nursery that actually cares about the products they ship. ( On a side note, many other small Acer palmatums that I ordered at the same time from other mail order nurseries are growing well and look great.)
Company representative comment on May 6, 2015:
On May 6, 2015 2:02 PM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

"You can find bigger and healthier plants and spend less at a nursery that actually cares about the products they ship."

But yet they wanted to place a second order... Some customers you just have to walk away from... As always we stand behind our products and customer service!

Negative whaas11
March 28, 2015
They where running a promo to get 20% off in 2014 so thought I give them a try as I've been hesitate based on their high prices. I had several plants in my cart and had a question. Question answered quickly within that same day.
I then had a follow-up question but took almost a week for a response and at that point the coupon had expired by 1 day. I asked if I could still get the 20% off since I had been waiting for a response and only 1 day past since the coupon expired and they said no. Pretty lame if you ask me especially when I emailed a list of all the plants I was going to buy. My wife had an open order with them and cancelled it after I told her about my experience. She agreed that it was pretty crappy what they did.
Positive Leslieandkeith
Charlotte, NC
March 9, 2015
Just received a Pinus densiflora Umbraculifera and a Pinus densiflora 'Oculus Draconis' from Kigi. They were shipped quickly, packed tightly-no breakage-and are doing well. I am already planning another order from them!
Positive markread
Thousand Oaks, CA
February 27, 2015
Have purchased 3 acer palmatums from Kigi. All arrived quickly and in great shape with extra care given to packaging. Owner Justen is a great seller who always has the customer in mind.
Negative sohumlilies
GARBERVILLE, CA
February 18, 2015
I ordered an Acer japonica Acontifolium--a size 2 on Dec. 11, 2014. I usually order maples from Greer Gardens in Eugene (they are my go-to fav) but they were out, and the plant lust was relentless, so I went for it with this new to me mail order source.

Very disappointing results...the tree came in a timely enough fashion, but when it arrived I could see there might be some trouble down the road with this plant. Many (at least half) of the buds were knocked off, and while the size was not bad, when bud break started here 2 weeks ago, sure enough, 2 of the 4 branches have died back and the tree is half dead. The graft is sturdy, so I will eventually get something, but the form is messed up (leader dead) and I feel I paid way too much for what I got.

Will never order from them again.
Positive Fra1
Fort Worth, TX
February 12, 2015
Posted on November 6, 2014, updated February 12, 2015
Posted on October 10, 2014, updated November 6, 2014
Fast shipping, great little tree (Atlas cedar \\\"Horstmann\\\"). This is not the first time I buy from Kigi Nursery, they have great products & prices. Highly recommended!
On November 6th, 2014, Fra1 added the following:

I purchased another tree recently and received it last week (Picea pungens \" Glauca Baby Blue Eyes \" 1 year graft. The tree has a nice low graft, healthy... I am very happy with my purchase. Thanks you guys at KIGI!
On February 12th, 2015, Fra1 added the following:

Received another tree early FEB 2015, was shipped fast!
Tree is a Cedrus deodara "Eisregen", looks healthy.
Thanks KIGI!
Neutral Slimjim37
Jacksonville, FL
February 3, 2015
Looking at their address on Google maps Earth view only shows what appears to be a private home and no obvious nursery anywhere close by. Also according to a independent business website this info appears :
Manta dot com :

More Details for Kigi Nursery
Categorized under Garden Centers. Our records show it was established in 2011 and incorporated in Washington. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue
of $500,000 to $1 million and employs a staff of approximately 1 to 4.
I'm providing this information purely for everyone's info.
Positive skarlet000
Portland, OR
January 27, 2015
This the 2nd time I have order from them. That have a great selection of evergreen plants. This is the only site that I have found that carries Weeping White Spruce trees. The website is intelligently laid out and the search is easy and fast. I love browsing this site. The customer service is very supportive and responsive. Justin answered the phone everytime I called and help me work thru some issues I had with my local post office.
Positive bencapozzi
South Boston, VA
January 24, 2015
This was my first time ordering from Kigi. I ordered six small trees (pines and cedars, some dwarf, some weeping) last August and received six small trees that are all still alive and well here in January. The plants were promptly shipped and professionally packaged. I really like the selection Kigi offers—many rarities— and already have my eyes on a few more for our landscape. Also like that all customers get %10 off for life!
Positive HDConifer
Bend, OR
January 14, 2015
A great place to get some awesome conifers. They send you your purchase 'half barefoot' which really sketched me out at first, but upon receiving my order I think it will be fine. I think they have good plants, good growing processes and a fairly decent website. My only problem is the shipping cost. I understand why they charge so much for shipping, but when added up and calculated as cost per plant, I will say that if their shipping rates were cheaper I would certainly be buying a lot more from them than I currently plan on.
Positive lalaniz
New Braunfels, TX
December 6, 2014
Recently bought an Acer palmatum ' Mikawa yatsubusa ' Dwarf Japanese Maple Tree. It shipped quickly, was very well packaged, and has a good graft. I'm very pleased with it and will be ordering more.
Positive mmeyers
Fresno, CA
December 5, 2014
I purchased a Abies lasiocarpa ' Glauca Arizonica ' Blue Cork Fir from Kigi. It was delivered quickly and in great condition. I am very pleased with the service and my purchase of this rare find. I will shop with them again and recommend to friends. Thanks Kigi!
Positive JoChe
Selden, NY
October 18, 2014
Recently placed an order with Kigi for a Picea Engelmanni Bush's Lace. The plant I received was very nice. Well shaped and nice size with many branches. I am extremely pleased. I would highly recommend Kigi to anyone looking for hard to find conifers or maples.
Positive Fishman1
Selden, NY
October 16, 2014
Posted on May 16, 2013, updated October 16, 2014
Posted on May 16, 2013, updated May 16, 2013
Ordered a conifer and the stock automatically dropped to no longer available,so he has one of each plant.Not good odds to get a nice one,also seems to be distracted with other things rather than tending to business(the landscaping in his name is a tip off)tends to be out of town when packages need to be delivered.Refunds are not a problem however as it seems this is easier than filling an order.
On May 16th, 2013, Fishman1 added the following:

Excuses are easy to make.Making happy customers seems to be a little more difficult.I care not about being second to your tree delivery......
On October 16th, 2014, Fishman1 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Decided to give Kigi another try. I reordered a Cedrus Atlantica Horstman that I have been looking for. The plant was shipped quickly, and packed well. I was very happy with the size and quality. I would order again with no reservations.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2013:
On May 16, 2013 5:59 AM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

Actually on most varieties we carry between 10-100 at any given time. We don't start doing landscape jobs until shipping slows down in June, we left town to deliver a large order of trees. Please do not order unless you are willing to wait for us to ship an order when it is best for the plants to survive the shock. When our trees are pushing new spring growth is not a good time to ship and you may have to wait a couple weeks. As stated above we would rather refund than deal with impatience.

Positive Magr23
Cream Ridge, NJ
October 13, 2014
I received the plants I ordered from Kigi, shipped exactly when I requested. I was happy to see that the plants were healthy young grafts with well-developed root-systems. Often this is not the case with mail-order plants!

One of the plants I ordered did sustain some damage during shipping and the largest side-branch had broken off. When I contacted Kigi, they were quick to send a replacement tree free of charge.

Overall, my order was a positive experience and I will order from Kigi again in the future.
Positive Darkstonecastle
Suffolk, VA
October 10, 2014
Got just what I expected. Tree arrived nice and healthy and in good form. A+.
Positive carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
August 9, 2014
Posted on June 6, 2014, updated August 9, 2014
Ordered 4 dwarf conifers - just arrived - 2 days shipping. Very well packed in box with paper. Plants in baggies with moist soil. Deep roots. Just got them planted. They are gorgeous. Will definitely order more. Price, size, condition - all great. Very happy.
On August 9th, 2014, carolmo added the following:

Yesterday got 4 more gorgeous dwarf conifers from Kigi Nursery. Abies Blue Magic, Abies Golden Splender, Cham. Butterball, Picea Compacta. Very healthy plants. Have more on my wish list.
Company representative comment on August 9, 2014:
On Aug 9, 2014 11:56 AM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

Thank you for the kind comments! We work hard to provide quality products at reasonable prices!

We have a one time use discount code to help you with your wish list. Good through 2014. Thanks again for having confidence in our company despite the Negative Nancy reviewers that seem to flood Dave's Garden.

HORTHUB20%OFF2014

Neutral Hamburglar
Solon, OH (Zone 5b)
August 2, 2014
Posted on April 4, 2014, updated August 2, 2014
Ordered two small Magyar Ginkgos from Kigi last month. Plants were shipped USPS priority and arrived in wrapped in bags, inside a cardboard box. Roots were moist and vigorous. Also, the trees were still dormant, which means I could plant them immediately and not worry about leaves getting freeze-damaged.

I think Kigi has found a nice niche in the mail order nursery business. They have a good selection of some harder to find varieties of plants such as Ginkgos and Beeches. Shipping is included in the list price, which simplifies the ordering process. The strategy of offering smaller plants with quick and inexpensive shipping makes sense for a nursery in the pacific northwest.

For trees, I have mail-ordered a lot of larger, 5\' whips in the past. But keeping the deer off of them in my area is near impossible. So my strategy more recently is to order one-year trees from nurseries like Kigi and plant them in tree tubes/shelters. Gratification is delayed a bit compared to larger plants, but you don\'t have to worry about deer and the establishment/watering phase is much shorter.
On August 2nd, 2014, Hamburglar changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Too good to be true. Neither Ginkgo leafed out. I planted them in different locations of the yard and we had a favorable spring in terms of weather after planting, so I am 95% sure that the plants arrived dead. Prior to realizing this, I inquired about some additional Japanese maples listed on Kigi's website and received the response that their stock had not made it through the winter. So I am wondering if they had some heavy losses this year.

Justen at Kigi half-heartedly offered store credit, but when I eventually pursued this path, I could not get him to respond to follow-up emails. No hard feelings. He mentioned that all of their other inventory had leafed out nicely, but then I noticed that the Ginkgo plant was no longer available on their website - along with a bunch of other plants I had eyed up. So my BS-detector started beeping. I know it was a rough winter for a lot of nurseries, and these were small plants so it is not a big deal. I will just write it off. But I have found better results and customer service at other mail-order nurseries.
Negative nwark
Fayetteville, AR
July 13, 2014
What an absolute Cluster F&*# of a company. Without going into extensive detail. VERY poor packing, got the crap beat out of the plants. Tried to work it out with Kigi. Awful communication, tried to ignore the problem. Finally got an agreement, in return was sent the most awful Cedrus that I have ever seen. Had no needles, no leader, a contorted bare stick. Worst plant I have ever had shipped to me. This after paying extra for a larger plant (and it wasn't larger) to try to be fair. I tried to save the poor thing, but no luck. Otherwise Kigi tried to pass off another species as an additonal plant I had ordered to help the spread shipping costs. What was sent wasn't even the correct species, let alone the correct cultivar. After which multiple attempts at contact with Kigi were fruitless. Completely ignored.

Oh, and then there is the supposed "refunds" that my bank didn't have a record of having happened.

If you still order from them... well you deserve what you get.
Positive MountainLndscp
Chandler Heights, AZ
July 3, 2014
I have ordered a Pinus 'Chief Joseph' from them in early spring that is still doing well. Healthy 4inch growth accompanied in the late spring. I recently ordered a Pinus 'Schoodic' a week ago and the plant transplanted well. A week into establishment and the 'Schoodic' looks healthy.
Positive i12_tomita
Wahiawa, HI
June 30, 2014
I was satisfied in the way the trees were pack for shipping. The Japanese black pine arrived in a timely manner that I was able to get it planted the next day.
Negative blueman333
Minneapolis, MN
June 27, 2014
I ordered six trees last month from Kigi. They looked to be in good shape. I planted them all promptly and gave them proper care. One died two weeks later, though. I emailed Kigi a week or so ago and asked for a replacement. I haven't gotten a reply. I then called Kigi a couple days ago to reiterate my concern, and left a message indicating that I would appreciate some kind of response. I still haven't heard back from them.

To me, this is poor customer service. I am not certain what their policy is about replacing dead trees, but either way, I expect a prompt response to my legitimate inquiry. It's the least they can do after I spent over $100 on an order from them. I won't be doing business with them again.

Negative otismojo
Lake Elmo, MN
June 22, 2014
Ordered two 7 year growth silberperle miniature dwarf evergreens. Purchased 2 last year at a local nursery. They were 15-18". The two from Kigi Nursery barely reach 6-8". These are not 7 year growth plants. Made them aware of my concern. Just an email telling me that's just how it goes.

Buyer beware.
Positive madeintheshade
Avondale Estates, GA
June 19, 2014
We ordered a high end large Picea abies 'Cobra' from Kigi. We are in the green industry and have a high bar. We received immediate confirmation of the order and an estimated shipping date. The tree was shipped on a Monday evening and arrived in Atlanta on Friday. Tracking info was available at all times. I was a bit worried about the heat in transit but the tree arrived in exceptional condition and we had it in the ground within an hour of arrival. The tree is beautiful, exactly as described, and well worth the price. We will shop with Kigi again.
Positive traumadoctor
New York, NY
June 3, 2014
absolutely reliable with the best selection of miniature evergreens in this country. The quality of the plants is exceptional, the shipping is rapid and well packed. Who could ask for anything more especially since the prices are so moderate. This is an outstanding nursery.
Negative dianapinto
Bethesda
United States
May 23, 2014
Amongst several trees, I ordered an Acer palmatum dissectum ' Tamukeyama 2 years of growth for $30 and an Acer palmatum ' Sango kaku 3 Years of growth for $45. Received two sad looking trees with wilted leaves, the first 1ft tall, the second about 3ft. This is my first time ordering online so I went to a local nursery to compare prices, and found that equivalent priced trees were about 2x the size and 3x foliage of what I bought from KIGI. Kigi should be clearer about the actual size and growth of the trees it sells. I am very disappointed, and unfortunately, I don't think the maples will survive if I return them, so I feel a moral obligation to keep them, but I wasted my money.
Don't think I'll shop online again,
Positive BlackDogKurt
Seymour, CT
May 19, 2014
Posted on April 17, 2013, updated May 19, 2014
I ordered a weeping white spruce from Kigi Nursery this spring, and it arrived just as expected and seems to doing fine so far.
On May 19th, 2014, BlackDogKurt added the following:

I ordered a couple of additional trees from Kigi this year, a Pinus sylvestris ' Gold Coin ' Golden Scot's Pine and an
Abies alba ' Pyramidalis ' Weeping Silver Fir. Both arrived just as promised and in good condition. Both are planted and already have new growth and are quite healthy.

Meanwhile, the Picea glauca ' Pendula ' Weeping White Spruce that I ordered in spring 2013 is doing wonderful.
Negative Bigtree85
Roseville, CA
April 20, 2014
I agree with most of the negative comments and add my own. I purchased numerous plants and approximately 30% died. I would expect maybe 5% mortality. The last order took over one month to arrive (and in poor shape). The size of the plants is mostly pathetic compared with other on line companies. The talk about producing "real" (I think they put it) grafts is nonsense. The size and quality ought to be twice (at least) as good as they are. I am an expert in the field (for over 40 years) landscaping, growing my own plants and propagating, etc. and am very sorry but they have lost a customer.
Positive Geoff11
(Zone 7a)
October 2, 2013
A couple of weeks ago I received Abies pinsapo horstmann nana and glauca, Abies fraserii kline's nest and Pinus strobus seaurchin and elkins dwarf. They have decisively adjusted to new earth, air, water and temperature, and after a pause have perceptibly fattened their winter buds. Fragrance and turgor are right where they should be. Grafts and roots looked good. I would order again without a second thought.
Positive daniejaye
Montvale, NJ
September 16, 2013
I ordered three different types of dwarf evergreens for my winter garden (snow sprite, gold drift and golden spreader); all arrived within a couple of weeks and in good condition. I was pleased with the selection of plants and trees Kigi offers and that they delivered as promised; I have had trouble with other online nurseries advising me several weeks after placing my order that they do not have items in stock. So far so good with Kigi! Thank you.
Positive ooa27t
Blythewood, SC
September 7, 2013
Very quick turn around of my order, placed on Labor day Monday and received that Thursday all the way across the country! Very good selection and the plants were very healthy and well packaged!
Positive JoeyInOregon
August 31, 2013
I purchased a 'Fernspray Gold' golden Hinoki cypress and am entirely pleased with the plant, the speed of shipping, and the packing. The plant is healthy and doing well. In no way was I disappointed in Kigi Nursery and I intend to make additional purchases from them in the future. Their plant selection is outstanding.
Positive Bfcschultz
Kailua, HI
August 13, 2013
I did read the reviews left but thought to give them a try anyway. I ordered 20 Kotobuki black pine. They didn't have enough to fill the order but I was notified as such. I did get 17 and was refunded the difference.
I was contacted that there are mor available so ordered 30 more very please. Thanks for everything
Keith
Positive nowMNzone4b
Kasson, MN
June 17, 2013
My order was possessed promptly, 3 days from WA to MN by US Priority Mail. Received in excellent condition two 1st yr. grafted weeping white spruce. One perfect graft union other slight knob which will disappear in a few yrs. Larger than expected. Very pleased! Will definitely do more business with Kigi Nursery and recommend to MN Bonsai Society.
Positive RonMarie
Baxter Estates, NY
April 17, 2013
i live in long island near the bay. Sandy destroyed our plants with salt water not from the bay but from the ocean outside the bay. There are no weeping white pine trees available in Long Island I had to look elsewhere for the plant. After an extensive look for months I found Kigi Nursery I spoke with Justin who promised me a healthy plant. The plant price was very reasonable. He said as with all plants the older and more established the plant the healthier it will be, he also told me that if I had a problem he would resolve the problem immediately. I felt so comfortable with him and the tree that I am buying. I am grateful and looking forward to my tree!!!! I should be getting it next week!!!