The scoop on 'Kigi Nursery'

Kigi Nursery

Kigi Nursery has 913 products listed in PlantScout.

121 Noble Ridge Drive
Kelso, Washington 98626 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 9, 2009:
We specialize in Rare, Weeping, Dwarf, Miniature and Unique Japanese Maples, Conifers, and Ginkgo are our staples. We are also adding products for Bonsai, Fairy Gardening and our own line of Organic Soils, Mulches, and Fertilizers. Products are updated weekly so check back often, we have many hard to find specimens.

Comments:

Positive carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
August 9, 2014
Posted on June 6, 2014, updated August 9, 2014
Ordered 4 dwarf conifers - just arrived - 2 days shipping. Very well packed in box with paper. Plants in baggies with moist soil. Deep roots. Just got them planted. They are gorgeous. Will definitely order more. Price, size, condition - all great. Very happy.
On August 9th, 2014, carolmo added the following:

Yesterday got 4 more gorgeous dwarf conifers from Kigi Nursery. Abies Blue Magic, Abies Golden Splender, Cham. Butterball, Picea Compacta. Very healthy plants. Have more on my wish list.
Company representative comment on August 9, 2014:
On Aug 9, 2014 11:56 AM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

Thank you for the kind comments! We work hard to provide quality products at reasonable prices!

We have a one time use discount code to help you with your wish list. Good through 2014. Thanks again for having confidence in our company despite the Negative Nancy reviewers that seem to flood Dave's Garden.

HORTHUB20%OFF2014

Neutral Hamburglar
Solon, OH (Zone 5b)
August 2, 2014
Posted on April 4, 2014, updated August 2, 2014
Ordered two small Magyar Ginkgos from Kigi last month. Plants were shipped USPS priority and arrived in wrapped in bags, inside a cardboard box. Roots were moist and vigorous. Also, the trees were still dormant, which means I could plant them immediately and not worry about leaves getting freeze-damaged.

I think Kigi has found a nice niche in the mail order nursery business. They have a good selection of some harder to find varieties of plants such as Ginkgos and Beeches. Shipping is included in the list price, which simplifies the ordering process. The strategy of offering smaller plants with quick and inexpensive shipping makes sense for a nursery in the pacific northwest.

For trees, I have mail-ordered a lot of larger, 5\' whips in the past. But keeping the deer off of them in my area is near impossible. So my strategy more recently is to order one-year trees from nurseries like Kigi and plant them in tree tubes/shelters. Gratification is delayed a bit compared to larger plants, but you don\'t have to worry about deer and the establishment/watering phase is much shorter.
On August 2nd, 2014, Hamburglar changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Too good to be true. Neither Ginkgo leafed out. I planted them in different locations of the yard and we had a favorable spring in terms of weather after planting, so I am 95% sure that the plants arrived dead. Prior to realizing this, I inquired about some additional Japanese maples listed on Kigi's website and received the response that their stock had not made it through the winter. So I am wondering if they had some heavy losses this year.

Justen at Kigi half-heartedly offered store credit, but when I eventually pursued this path, I could not get him to respond to follow-up emails. No hard feelings. He mentioned that all of their other inventory had leafed out nicely, but then I noticed that the Ginkgo plant was no longer available on their website - along with a bunch of other plants I had eyed up. So my BS-detector started beeping. I know it was a rough winter for a lot of nurseries, and these were small plants so it is not a big deal. I will just write it off. But I have found better results and customer service at other mail-order nurseries.
Negative nwark
Fayetteville, AR
July 13, 2014
What an absolute Cluster F&*# of a company. Without going into extensive detail. VERY poor packing, got the crap beat out of the plants. Tried to work it out with Kigi. Awful communication, tried to ignore the problem. Finally got an agreement, in return was sent the most awful Cedrus that I have ever seen. Had no needles, no leader, a contorted bare stick. Worst plant I have ever had shipped to me. This after paying extra for a larger plant (and it wasn't larger) to try to be fair. I tried to save the poor thing, but no luck. Otherwise Kigi tried to pass off another species as an additonal plant I had ordered to help the spread shipping costs. What was sent wasn't even the correct species, let alone the correct cultivar. After which multiple attempts at contact with Kigi were fruitless. Completely ignored.

Oh, and then there is the supposed "refunds" that my bank didn't have a record of having happened.

If you still order from them... well you deserve what you get.
Positive MountainLndscp
Chandler Heights, AZ
July 3, 2014
I have ordered a Pinus 'Chief Joseph' from them in early spring that is still doing well. Healthy 4inch growth accompanied in the late spring. I recently ordered a Pinus 'Schoodic' a week ago and the plant transplanted well. A week into establishment and the 'Schoodic' looks healthy.
Positive i12_tomita
Wahiawa, HI
June 30, 2014
I was satisfied in the way the trees were pack for shipping. The Japanese black pine arrived in a timely manner that I was able to get it planted the next day.
Negative blueman333
Minneapolis, MN
June 27, 2014
I ordered six trees last month from Kigi. They looked to be in good shape. I planted them all promptly and gave them proper care. One died two weeks later, though. I emailed Kigi a week or so ago and asked for a replacement. I haven't gotten a reply. I then called Kigi a couple days ago to reiterate my concern, and left a message indicating that I would appreciate some kind of response. I still haven't heard back from them.

To me, this is poor customer service. I am not certain what their policy is about replacing dead trees, but either way, I expect a prompt response to my legitimate inquiry. It's the least they can do after I spent over $100 on an order from them. I won't be doing business with them again.

Negative otismojo
Lake Elmo, MN
June 22, 2014
Ordered two 7 year growth silberperle miniature dwarf evergreens. Purchased 2 last year at a local nursery. They were 15-18". The two from Kigi Nursery barely reach 6-8". These are not 7 year growth plants. Made them aware of my concern. Just an email telling me that's just how it goes.

Buyer beware.
Positive madeintheshade
Avondale Estates, GA
June 19, 2014
We ordered a high end large Picea abies 'Cobra' from Kigi. We are in the green industry and have a high bar. We received immediate confirmation of the order and an estimated shipping date. The tree was shipped on a Monday evening and arrived in Atlanta on Friday. Tracking info was available at all times. I was a bit worried about the heat in transit but the tree arrived in exceptional condition and we had it in the ground within an hour of arrival. The tree is beautiful, exactly as described, and well worth the price. We will shop with Kigi again.
Positive traumadoctor
New York, NY
June 3, 2014
absolutely reliable with the best selection of miniature evergreens in this country. The quality of the plants is exceptional, the shipping is rapid and well packed. Who could ask for anything more especially since the prices are so moderate. This is an outstanding nursery.
Negative dianapinto
Bethesda
United States
May 23, 2014
Amongst several trees, I ordered an Acer palmatum dissectum ' Tamukeyama 2 years of growth for $30 and an Acer palmatum ' Sango kaku 3 Years of growth for $45. Received two sad looking trees with wilted leaves, the first 1ft tall, the second about 3ft. This is my first time ordering online so I went to a local nursery to compare prices, and found that equivalent priced trees were about 2x the size and 3x foliage of what I bought from KIGI. Kigi should be clearer about the actual size and growth of the trees it sells. I am very disappointed, and unfortunately, I don't think the maples will survive if I return them, so I feel a moral obligation to keep them, but I wasted my money.
Don't think I'll shop online again,
Positive BlackDogKurt
Seymour, CT
May 19, 2014
Posted on April 17, 2013, updated May 19, 2014
I ordered a weeping white spruce from Kigi Nursery this spring, and it arrived just as expected and seems to doing fine so far.
On May 19th, 2014, BlackDogKurt added the following:

I ordered a couple of additional trees from Kigi this year, a Pinus sylvestris ' Gold Coin ' Golden Scot's Pine and an
Abies alba ' Pyramidalis ' Weeping Silver Fir. Both arrived just as promised and in good condition. Both are planted and already have new growth and are quite healthy.

Meanwhile, the Picea glauca ' Pendula ' Weeping White Spruce that I ordered in spring 2013 is doing wonderful.
Negative Bigtree85
Roseville, CA
April 20, 2014
I agree with most of the negative comments and add my own. I purchased numerous plants and approximately 30% died. I would expect maybe 5% mortality. The last order took over one month to arrive (and in poor shape). The size of the plants is mostly pathetic compared with other on line companies. The talk about producing "real" (I think they put it) grafts is nonsense. The size and quality ought to be twice (at least) as good as they are. I am an expert in the field (for over 40 years) landscaping, growing my own plants and propagating, etc. and am very sorry but they have lost a customer.
Positive Geoff11
(Zone 7a)
October 2, 2013
A couple of weeks ago I received Abies pinsapo horstmann nana and glauca, Abies fraserii kline's nest and Pinus strobus seaurchin and elkins dwarf. They have decisively adjusted to new earth, air, water and temperature, and after a pause have perceptibly fattened their winter buds. Fragrance and turgor are right where they should be. Grafts and roots looked good. I would order again without a second thought.
Positive daniejaye
Montvale, NJ
September 16, 2013
I ordered three different types of dwarf evergreens for my winter garden (snow sprite, gold drift and golden spreader); all arrived within a couple of weeks and in good condition. I was pleased with the selection of plants and trees Kigi offers and that they delivered as promised; I have had trouble with other online nurseries advising me several weeks after placing my order that they do not have items in stock. So far so good with Kigi! Thank you.
Positive ooa27t
Blythewood, SC
September 7, 2013
Very quick turn around of my order, placed on Labor day Monday and received that Thursday all the way across the country! Very good selection and the plants were very healthy and well packaged!
Positive JoeyInOregon
August 31, 2013
I purchased a 'Fernspray Gold' golden Hinoki cypress and am entirely pleased with the plant, the speed of shipping, and the packing. The plant is healthy and doing well. In no way was I disappointed in Kigi Nursery and I intend to make additional purchases from them in the future. Their plant selection is outstanding.
Positive Bfcschultz
Kailua, HI
August 13, 2013
I did read the reviews left but thought to give them a try anyway. I ordered 20 Kotobuki black pine. They didn't have enough to fill the order but I was notified as such. I did get 17 and was refunded the difference.
I was contacted that there are mor available so ordered 30 more very please. Thanks for everything
Keith
Positive nowMNzone4b
Kasson, MN
June 17, 2013
My order was possessed promptly, 3 days from WA to MN by US Priority Mail. Received in excellent condition two 1st yr. grafted weeping white spruce. One perfect graft union other slight knob which will disappear in a few yrs. Larger than expected. Very pleased! Will definitely do more business with Kigi Nursery and recommend to MN Bonsai Society.
Negative Fishman1
Selden, NY
May 16, 2013
Posted on May 16, 2013, updated May 16, 2013
Ordered a conifer and the stock automatically dropped to no longer available,so he has one of each plant.Not good odds to get a nice one,also seems to be distracted with other things rather than tending to business(the landscaping in his name is a tip off)tends to be out of town when packages need to be delivered.Refunds are not a problem however as it seems this is easier than filling an order.
On May 16th, 2013, Fishman1 added the following:

Excuses are easy to make.Making happy customers seems to be a little more difficult.I care not about being second to your tree delivery......
Company representative comment on May 16, 2013:
On May 16, 2013 5:59 AM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

Actually on most varieties we carry between 10-100 at any given time. We don't start doing landscape jobs until shipping slows down in June, we left town to deliver a large order of trees. Please do not order unless you are willing to wait for us to ship an order when it is best for the plants to survive the shock. When our trees are pushing new spring growth is not a good time to ship and you may have to wait a couple weeks. As stated above we would rather refund than deal with impatience.

Positive RonMarie
Baxter Estates, NY
April 17, 2013
i live in long island near the bay. Sandy destroyed our plants with salt water not from the bay but from the ocean outside the bay. There are no weeping white pine trees available in Long Island I had to look elsewhere for the plant. After an extensive look for months I found Kigi Nursery I spoke with Justin who promised me a healthy plant. The plant price was very reasonable. He said as with all plants the older and more established the plant the healthier it will be, he also told me that if I had a problem he would resolve the problem immediately. I felt so comfortable with him and the tree that I am buying. I am grateful and looking forward to my tree!!!! I should be getting it next week!!!
Positive spoogedog
Lunenburg, MA
March 22, 2013
I just ordered four Cedars of Lebanon trees from Kigi and am very impressed by the whole order and mailing process. Once I placed my order, I received a confirmation email and several follow-up emails that my order was shipped and an estimated arrival date.

The trees were in perfect condition, looking very healthy and vibrant. Most of all, the shipping rate was reasonable, something that is very difficult to find from nurseries near and far from my home state.

I am an avid miniature gardener, always looking for plants and trees for them. Kigi will be on my list for future orders.
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
September 24, 2012
I ordered two cedars and two dwarf norway spruces. They arrived very quickly and were in exceptional condition even in the heat. Root systems were healthy and not too rootbound at all. Roots are very important and sometimes when mail ordering you can receive very matted roots. These were just right. They seem to be very robust.
Positive Lane3
Charlottesville, VA
September 15, 2012
Posted on September 10, 2012, updated September 15, 2012
I Ordered a Japanese maple. I could tell from the emails from Kigi
That my status had been changed. I am not sure what that meant but I can guess from the status of the plant sent to me. The plan had four leaves on it and those leaves were half dead. When I complained, I was told to ship the plant back. there was no explanation or apology and don't forget I have to pay for shipping, I spent eight dollars for nothing. I am 52 years old and have never received a bad plant in the mail before or complained about a merchant before
On September 15th, 2012, Lane3 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Kigi was cooperative and will send me a new plant. Most of this was my
Fault as I did not communicAte well. Once I did, kigi was great
Negative marymyers
Poulsbo, WA (Zone 8b)
June 19, 2012
Be very aware! I wish I would have read some of these reviews before ordering from Kigi Nursery in Kelso, Washington. On May 31 I ordered 10, 2-3 year grafted maples from Kigi. I used a credit card and they charged my card the next day or so. On June 16, I received 5 little trees and on June 18, I recieved 4. Only 9 of the 10 I ordered. I paid $39.99 for three of the maples that were (supposed to be) 3 year grafts. The other 7 were supposed to be 2 year grafts. I was informed a few days before delivery, after I emailed them to see when the delivery would be sent, that they did not have the some of the maples I ordered and that they would make substitutions, I sent them some suggestions, which they filled. None of the little, and I mean little) trees were three year grafts. They did refund $59.00 for the tree they did not send and for additional cost for the three year grafts that were not sent. They refused to allow me to return the order. Be certain that you can find much better places to order your maples online. Before ordering, you can check the size of these maples on by looking at the Scolopendrifolium or Winter Flame on my blog (Mary's Maples)
Company representative comment on June 19, 2012:
On Jun 19, 2012 1:49 PM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

We made an honest mistake by short shipping 1 tree off the order, and refunded the tree along with the complaint of small trees. I explained to Mary that we grow all of our stock outside of the greenhouse environment and using slow release organic fertilizers, we will have smaller plants than other nurseries. Our stock is grown to be bonsai ready material and hardened off for clean shipping. Please don't order from us if you are looking for greenhouse pushed, chemical treated trees that are half their mature size in 3-4 years. I don't know why so many have been duked into thinking this is industry standard? We like to think we offer a true 1year 2year 3year... grafted material.

It just irritates me that we go the extra mile to provide the customer a quality product, just to be blown up on review boards for our honest growing practices.

Negative paris_metro
Draper, UT
May 23, 2012
All the poor review are true for Kigi Nursery… despite what I read, I thought I’d give them the opportunity to earn my business. Well, I placed an order on their website but didn’t receive confirmation that the order went through. A waited a few days, giving the nursery a chance to confirm that they’d be filling my order… I would have called but there is no phone number on the website (this should have been a sign). I placed the same order again – this time I received an email confirming that my order went through. Even though I didn’t receive any sort of shipping confirmation (would have been nice so I could make sure someone was home), my trees arrived a couple of weeks later. The product was dried out but, for the most part, looked good. A few days later, I received the same order again… I checked my bank account and Kigi had charged my account again. I sent the Nursery an email (again, no phone number) and received an answer that they wondered why the same order was placed twice (they could have called) and that they’d refund one of the orders less all shipping costs ($20 total on a $60 order). Kigi recommended that I just keep the duplicate order stating that it probably isn’t worth shipping back. Too many professional online nurseries to give you my business Kigi… Sorry!
Company representative comment on May 23, 2012:
On May 23, 2012 2:59 PM, Kigi Nursery responded with:

Customer ordered twice under two different names....yes if we had a large staff and charging you the customer all the overhead you are requesting from us... we offered you a return under our policy...sorry but we won't eat all the shipping charges because of your mistake.

Neutral Hempster
Sacramento, CA
May 18, 2012
I ordered a Abies koreana ' Silberlocke ' Korean Fir (2year).
While it arrived in 7 days of ordering, and looks quite viable. The tree does not look like a 2 year old graft, looks more like the 1 year old ones. Tiny compared to the pics they have as a reference to what you might get. The rootstock is 4", the scion is 10". Plus, the scion is almost at a 90 degree angle, so it's like the tree is being blown by a 50mph wind. Not to mention the branches are all twisted.
It's in the ground, so I have no idea what they might want me to do with it. I might be out another $10.00 shipping this back, if so, it will be more pricey than I wanted. Let's see what/if they do anything about this.
I'm giving a neutral for now.
Positive sinkevito
Auburndale, FL (Zone 9a)
August 1, 2010
I just received my Picea pungens ' The Blues ' Weeping Colorado Spruce 1gal. I never ordered plants mailorder before and was uncertain of what to expect. The box came and before I opened it I imagined the worst - a small dead looking tree, but to my great surprise it was a very healthy looking plant with no dead or brown spots whatsoever and the size was just as described. Beautiful!

I am going to upload a picture of it under the plant heading.
Positive LThomp
Dacula, GA
September 1, 2009
Being a collector of unusual conifers, I ordered two young trees from Kigi Nursery in January, 2009; an Abies Koreana Silberlocke and a Tsuga Canadensis New Gold. They arrived in less than 6 days. I thought the packaging was inadequate, but the plants were unharmed and healthy. They were of expected size. It's now seven months later and the young trees are thriving and have doubled in size. Because this company stocks young unusual conifers at an affordable price, I have ordered another rare conifer from them, a Cedrus Atlantica Aurea. These trees will take years to grow full size, but I find enjoyment in watching them grow.
Negative Knvsmom
Cleburne, TX
May 9, 2009
This site offers many unique and difficult to find trees. The site is fairly easy to use, although it didn't like any other browser beside IE.
My daughter ordered me a Japanese Maple. The price was reasonable and the shipping was comparable to other companies. I received my small bare root sapling within a week of the order being placed. It arrived in fairly good shape. I did notice that some of the leaves had some black curling edges on the ends though. I hope that is just a result of being in a dark box in transit?
The reason for a neutral rating is that there was NO care or planting instructions included with my order. This is my first attempt at growing a J M. I know I can search online for basics, but it would have been nice to have communication from the seller so I'd know if the black curling on some leaves was normal, do I need to let it acclimate first, what kind of soil does it prefer, any special planting instructions, etc? I will do some research though and hope I give my little tree a good start.
On May 22nd, 2009, Knvsmom changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

The Japanese Maple I ordered didn't make it. Since there was no instructions with it as far as what is normal during transit, care, or planting, I'm left to assume that the black curled up leaves were the sign of a dying plant? I have emailed Kigi with no response back so I am changing my rating to a negative for bad customer service from start to end. Buyer beware, you get what you pay for!
Positive JonnyB
East Taunton, MA
December 7, 2008
I ordered several items from Kigi and they arrived timely well-packaged and exactly as described.
Negative Herman_Neutics
Philadelphia, PA
October 5, 2008
I was browsing Japanese Maples on Ebay and saw a few beauties that were really familiar. They were mine! Bamboo Trader aka Kigi Nursery swiped my pics of 'Utsu semi','Okushimo' and AS 'Palmatifolium' from UBC. Had they sent a message requesting permission or a nice tree I probably would have had no beef. Since they copied them and did not respond to my diplomatically worded messages I have a negative view of this vendor. #1- Clearly the plant they are selling is not the plant pictured, #2-Ignoring my message and not acknowledging the source of the pic suggests a slimy character.

Wondered how others would feel. There are lots of excellent pics on Dave's. No doubt many have been pilfered. Would you be flattered or pissed?

I contacted ebay but the response was the typical, flaccid, canned nonsense they are known for.
Company representative comment on October 7, 2008:

On Oct 7, 2008 12:44 AM, Kigi Nursery added:

This is the first I have heard of this. My website designer told me he has been gathering product photos from opt-in sources. I will work on getting these pictures changed right away. That is unless you will let us use them?

Justen Homer