The scoop on 'Wayside Gardens'

Wayside Gardens

1 Garden Lane
Hodges, South Carolina 29695 (United States)

Fax: (800) 817-1124.

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company is affiliated with Park Seed Company (aka Park's Gardens)

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Company Comment, posted on January 26, 2006:
Our company is committed to delivering quality stock, premium varieties, and good value for your gardening investment. We lead the industry in introducing new varieties to our customers, thanks in part to our unique strategic relationships with outstanding developers and growers. For example, Proven Winners(REG) (www.provenwinners.com), Color Choice(REG) (www.colorchoiceplants.com), and Monrovia(REG) (www.monrovia.com) all work closely with us, as seen in their ads in major gardening periodicals throughout the year.

We are gardeners ourselves, and we understand what you want most. We ship the largest, healthiest plants for your dollar, and strive to get them to you in top condition at the right time for planting. We’re even making it easier for you to get your plants faster by offering a new low-cost upgrade to two-day airfreight shipping. And we always enclose a free Gardening Guide, with special tips for helping your plant thrive in those first crucial days after it arrives on your doorstep.

Our company further demonstrates our love of gardening by serving as a major sponsor for the weekly gardening show, GardenSMART, seen on PBS stations around the country (www.gardensmart.tv). Supporting these lively and informative programs is just another way that we can say “thank you!” to the gardening community that we’ve been a part of for almost a century.

We’d love for you to learn more about our company and its history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayside_Gardens), or for you to visit our national headquarters at 1 Garden Lane, Hodges, South Carolina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodges,_South_Carolina). But most of all, we hope you will place an order with us and let us serve you personally. We welcome your input and questions, either via our online comment form (www.parkpr.com/feedback) or by calls to our customer service representatives and horticulturists (800-845-1124).

Our Guarantee :
All products to be high quality, true to type, shipped properly, and to perform as advertised. If this is not the case, notify us as soon as possible, and we will gladly resolve the issue, offer gardening advice, or provide a merchandise credit. Please understand that we cannot accept responsibility for the results of extreme weather, neglect, unforeseeable acts of nature, or ignoring our hardiness zone recommendations.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative Sarsar
Columbia, MO
September 18, 2016
I have been gardening for 25 years, and have often ordered from Wayside. Their plants are small for the price, but they have offered things I could not find elsewhere. Fortunately, there are now many other sources.

I had never before requested a replacement plant, because I figured if the plant died, it was probably my fault. But I recently requested a replacement for 1 of 8 trees (at $80 each!) that I planted last fall. The others grew, but one never leafed out. The trees were tiny sticks. I planted them in 2 rows with the plan being for them to grow into a small, flowering allee. Wayside said I was beyond the guarantee (industry standard is 1 year so I assumed they would be also, but they are less). The representative was snotty about it. My garden concept was ruined after I spent a lot of money with them. Never again!
Company representative comment on September 19, 2016:
On Sep 19, 2016 9:56 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with our Guarantee guidelines. I would like to help with your situation. Would you please provide me with your name, address, order # , and I will gladly work with you toward some sort of resolution in this situation.

Negative randallengle
Avondale Estates, GA
August 8, 2016
I have ordered numerous plants from Wayside Gardens recently for a new house we are building in the Ga mountains. I received them in spring/early summer, transplanted them into potting soil and kept under a sprinkler that watered them 3 times per week. The rhodendrons are doing fine and have grown several inches as have the Colo. Blue Spruce, and lilacs. However, the 4 Olympic fire Kalmia I ordered began to wilt 2 weeks ago and now appear unsalvageable. Wayside refused to replace them. It is beyond the warranty but I consider this bad customer relations and will never order from them again.
Company representative comment on August 8, 2016:
On Aug 8, 2016 9:26 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Negative eyfng
San Gabriel, CA
July 5, 2016
Foam nuggets are being used for packing, I have to be very careful to remove them without damaging the plants inside. The foam nuggets are flying everywhere when I do this, so annoying.

I contacted the customer service this morning that my Caramel Coral Bell is dead that I received on 5/27/2016 in bad shape. I gave it a try to see whether it will grow back as Wayside claims that they ship quality plants. Also, some plants from the previous order received in bad shape but are re-growing well now.

The customer representative refused to send me a replacement by saying that I grow plants not for my zone (i.e. zone 10) which is not under the grantee. I said that the other coral bell is growing well right next to the Caramel Coral Bell. That's not her concern. She told me that I should have called them when I received the shipment if the plant was not in good shape. She was kind of rough.

The price of plants in WS are expensive. The quality doesn't justify for that markup. No more business with WS.
Company representative comment on July 6, 2016:
On Jul 6, 2016 8:06 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with our service. I would like to help with your situation. Would you please provide me with your name, address, order # , and I will gladly work with you toward some sort of resolution in this situation.

Our Guarantee statement:

Plant Products:
We guarantee all Wayside Gardens plant products to be high quality, true to type, shipped properly, and to perform as advertised. If your plant has received our recommended care and doesn't perform to your satisfaction, notify us and we will replace it free of charge or provide the cost of the product as credit toward a future purchase.

If any product was damaged in shipping or dead on arrival, please notify us within 48 hours from receipt and save all contents and packaging.

To ensure that each living product has adequate opportunity to perform, we've established the following guidelines for reporting other problems:

Spring-Blooming Bulbs Sold in FALL:
- Contact us by May 30th the following year of receipt.

Roses, Perennials, Trees, Shrubs, and Bulbs Sold in
SPRING:
- 90 days from the date of receipt.

Please understand that we cannot accept responsibility for the results of extreme weather, neglect, unforeseeable acts of nature, or ignoring our hardiness zone recommendation.

Hard Good Guarantee. Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed with every product. If your non-plant product fails to function as advertised, please follow the guidelines below and we will furnish a replacement or merchandise credit:

Defective Tools and Gardening Accessories: within 60 days, please contact Wayside Gardens Returns Department toll free at 1-800-845-1124 (or for local calls use 1-864-330-2004) for RMA.

Non-Defective Tools and Gardening Accessories: will incur a 20% restocking fee plus freight.

**All returns must include order number, customer's name and address. Photos may be required on a situational basis.**

Sale items will only be issued a merchandise credit for purchase price. By placing an order you are accepting these terms and conditions. Photos may be required on a situational basis.

Substitutions. If the item of your choice is unavailable or does not meet our high standard of quality, we may need to substitute an item of equal or greater value.

Positive brianaucuba
PEQUEA, PA (Zone 6b)
June 6, 2016
Posted on May 20, 2016, updated June 6, 2016
Posted on May 12, 2016, updated May 20, 2016
Posted on May 5, 2016, updated May 12, 2016
Posted on November 2, 2015, updated May 5, 2016
Posted on October 22, 2015, updated November 2, 2015
Just received first shipment of my order. Very nice starter plant of Illicium \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Florida Sunshine\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' packed with great care.j
On November 2nd, 2015, brianaucuba added the following:

Just received second half of my order -- two very nice Sarcococca cultivars. They arrived in great shape because of good packing. It has been a while since I ordered from Wayside because of my budget. I am glad I ordered again from \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"an old friend.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" My experience has been totally positive.
On May 5th, 2016, brianaucuba added the following:

WOW! I ordered some Hellebores advertised in an email as a one-day-only special. I expected to receive small starter plants. I received a box so big that I thought Wayside accidentally shipped a tree. The Hellebores were gallon-sized mature plants. Very happy with my purchase.
On May 12th, 2016, brianaucuba added the following:

I couldn\\\'t resist a great email sale on xDigiplexis which is normally fairly expensive. Plants arrived today in great shape due to good packing. The plants are healthy and large. I am very happy with this purchase also.
On May 20th, 2016, brianaucuba added the following:

Another great email special prompted me to order 6 Geranium maculatum. They arrived as large potted plants -- one was even in flower. With this order I am whole-heartedly keeping my rating as positive. I have placed 4 orders since last fall and have been happy with every order.
On June 6th, 2016, brianaucuba added the following:

Just received another order from an email sale. Multiple plants including Ampelaster, Eucomis, Dicentra, and Anemone arrived in good shape and size. The Dicentra even have flower buds.

I am baffled by the negative reviews that I have read for Wayside. I have placed five orders since last fall. From the negative reviews I have read here I expected a dud or two but I was wrong. I have been more than happy with all of them. I just think that some people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to mailorder plants.

I am not affiliated with Wayside or any of its sister companies. Angela Davenport you do not get paid enough to deal with everything you do.

Company representative comment on May 20, 2016:
On May 20, 2016 5:46 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how pleased you are with your order/product. Thank you! Your opinion is valued and we, of course, welcome feedback. It's customers like you who act as a reminder of why we do what we do and the importance of supplying only top quality products as well as to offer the best service possible. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Negative joeybaloney
Durham, NC
June 5, 2016
I ordered a Hibiscus Midnight Marvel from Wayside Gardens. I got a hibiscus but it does not even close resemble Midnight Marvel. The leaves are green, they are supposed to be purplish. I now notice they are sold out. I can't help but wonder if they were out and so sent me a different hibiscus. I have not yet contacted Wayside, but I will be this week. It is very interesting to see all the negative comments.

Company representative comment on June 7, 2016:
On Jun 7, 2016 9:28 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I have reviewed your posting on Dave's Garden Watchdog website. We want to resolve the problem but are unable to locate your order with the partial email address provided by the site. Please forward your order number or complete billing address (including zip code), and any other pertinent information to assist you. I want to help.

Negative Louvre
Bryn Mawr, PA
May 27, 2016
This is a company that ships dead and diseased plants to you and then plays the game of either they do not understand what you are saying or they want you to send them pictures of the dead plants or they email their Bizzrate survey hoping to use it against you or whatever. THEY NEVER plan on returning your money or fixing the problem, in my opinion---they didn't for me. Do NOT buy from them as you will be scammed like I was (I even sent the dead plants back at my own expense of $37.50 with a return receipt, which they signed so I know they got them and did not hear from them). This is a NO star company. Buyer beware!!
Company representative comment on May 27, 2016:
On May 27, 2016 6:33 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We are so sorry to learn that you received plants in poor condition. I will be more than happy to assist you in getting your refunded. You stated you had signed receipts of the returned orders to us. Can you supply us with the tracking numbers of those receipts please?

Neutral ignote
Boston, MA (Zone 7a)
May 23, 2016
Posted on June 15, 2006, updated May 23, 2016
I ordered two bare root rose plants from waysidegardens.com earlier this spring - Honey Dijon and Ebb Tide. They arrived carefully packed and in good health - budding. They\'ve been in the ground for two weeks now, and are growing vigorously. I am very satisfied, and happy with my experience with waysidegardens.com.
On June 19th, 2007, ignote changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I placed a small order with Wayside again this spring. The ship time was very slow, and I did not receive the Free 2-day FedEx shipping upgrade that was advertised all over their website and emails. When I emailed them to check on the order a few days after I placed it, the customer service rep said that it had just been shipped and that I should expect it in 5-6 days. It arrived via USPS.

The bulbs seemed fine when they got to me, and I planted them right away. My rating is neutral simply because of the deceptive shipping promotion.
On May 23rd, 2016, ignote added the following:

Inventory system and ship times are misleading. I placed an order for one hydrangea and a small number of six-pack annuals. First the Hydrangea order was "closed," having never shipped and with no comments or notification. I emailed Wayside via their form and didn't get a response, however the status changed from closed to shipped a few days later.

The second part of my order (placed on 5/13 for plants that are marked to ship on 5/16) are still on an open order. One of the items is currently unavailable, there's no updated status, and it still notes the anticipated ship date of 5/16. I have not been contacted.

I'd say if you're excited to get plants in a timely manner, or are creating a planting schedule, choose a different vendor.
Company representative comment on May 23, 2016:
On May 23, 2016 11:32 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I have reviewed your posting on Dave's Garden Watchdog website. We want to resolve the problem but are unable to locate your order with the information provided by the site. Please forward your order number or complete billing address (including zip code), and any other pertinent information and I'll be happy to assist you.

Positive Vinwin
Barnesville, MD
May 13, 2016
Posted on April 29, 2016, updated May 13, 2016
I purchased some flowers from Wayside last years and because of the conditions of the flowers, I received credits instead of being refunded the cost. So I was using these credits to buy some Santa Cruz begonias on 4/23/16.

The first reason why I am giving the negative review is that as of 4/29/16, they have not shipped my plants. The second reason is that when I looked at my bill, I noticed that they charged me almost $10 more for the product than what was advertised and also increased the shipping costs. When I called Wayside about the charges, the person I talked to--Jarrod--couldn\'t understand what I said and kept quoting me the higher price even though the webpage continues to show the sale price. Then he said he can make a one time exception and will lower the price. This was very insulting because he made it sound like I made the mistake and not Wayside.

However, the problem was that the final price including the shipping was also different from what the initial order stated. When I told him that was not what was stated in the initial order on 4/23/16, he said I would have to pay additional shipping cost. I cancelled the order.

After I use my credit up, I will not order from Wayside again. Besides this incident, I\'m disappointed that some of the perennials that I bought last year did not come up.
On May 13th, 2016, Vinwin changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

So Angela D. from Wayside contacted me about investigating and resolving my issue. The plants I wanted were sold out so she offered to send me a substitute and to not charge me for the shipping. I didn't get the plants that I initially wanted, but I do consider my issue resolved.
Company representative comment on April 29, 2016:
On Apr 29, 2016 4:15 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I would like to assist in bringing a solution to your issues. Please email me your name, address, and order number so that I may help you with this situation. I would like to look into your order to see what happened and fix this for you.

Positive raspberrypicket
Circleville, OH
May 8, 2016
Posted on May 3, 2014, updated May 8, 2016
I\'m not sure if this should be a neutral or negative rating. I have purchased trees from Wayside for years. This spring I purchased a variegated Dogwood and a Rose of Sharon shrub and both are doing well. I also ordered a River Mist variegated Oat grass and when it arrived in early April with the tree and shrub. (Last frost in Ohio is mid May) The Oat grass was a tiny mangled dried out root ball in the bottom of the box. I called and they happily sent me another plant. The replacement is green. It is approx. 1 inch by 1.5 and inches wide with three green leaves. The root ball was about an inch or less. I needed to get my reading glasses to make sure the things I thought were leaves really were leaves. The tiny little pathetic plant cost me $15 bucks plus shipping. While I appreciate the replacement I feel I have been robbed and have been an idiot for spending $15 bucks for a microscopic replacement.
For years I have heard and read Wayside is the best of the best. I\'m not sure I am buying into all the hype. I am not sure if I will buy anything from them in the future. If a similar item was available at a Nursery I would kiss Wayside goodbye!
On May 8th, 2016, raspberrypicket changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I have had issues in the past with the tiny size and big prices for Wayside's perennials. I don't plan to ever purchase perennials from their company.

However I have had great luck with their trees/shrubs and David Austin Roses. This year I purchased Ruby Falls weeping redbud and at first I was very fearful it would not leaf out. I am happy to report leaves are forming up and down the whip of a tree.

I have had great luck with purchasing David Austin New English roses from Wayside. The roses are large, healthy, and well packed and still moist. All of the roses I have purchased in past years are thriving. This year I purchased the new Olivia Rose and it is doing super!

I think with many companies they do better with some items than they do others. At least with my experience Wayside does well with trees/Japanese maples, shrubs, and roses.

Circleville, Ohio
On Aug 26, 2014 3:00 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We have reviewed your posting on Dave's Garden Watchdog website. We want to resolve the problem but are unable to locate your order with the partial email address provided by the site. Please forward your order number or complete billing address (including zip code), and any other pertinent information to assist you. We want to help.

Negative AEN3
Philadelphia, PA
May 2, 2016
This company claims to sell plants that are 'superior' and 'of the finest selection'. I placed an order with them and they shipped a dead plant with no leaves. The leaves did not fall off in shipping it was sent that way from their company. It was supposed to be a shrub, but was a smalI pot with two dead sticks. I immediately called them and requested a replacement and was told it was in stock and would be sent but it never was. When I called to check on it they said it was backordered. I emailed them a picture of the dead plant. I wish I could post it for you. It was a Proven Winner plant which is known to be a reputable brand. What they sent me was an absolute disgrace. The representative on the phone had a very uncaring attitude and did not try to keep me as a customer or offer any explanation. They said they cancelled the replacement and issued a refund for the plant but not the shipping. I told them that I wanted a replacement and insisted they send me a live healthy plant but they admitted no wrong and refused to work with me. Emails and calls do not get results when you have an issue so I have posted these comments in hopes it gets the right person's attention.
Company representative comment on May 3, 2016:
On May 3, 2016 9:29 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Negative northgoessouth
Springville, PA
May 2, 2016
I first ordered, wanting to use a Mastercard gift card. I could not enter the info on it an emailed the company. Over 5 days passed and I emailed again. I stated that I had a large order and I guessed that I would have to go elsewhere as they were not answering. They did and told me that it would be accepted, and to try again. The woman who sent me the email told me that if I had any other issues to please send her an email and let her know. She did apologize for not answering my email in a timely manner, stating many customers ordering. I tried again and the card did not work again. It is a brand new card, never used. I sent an email and heard nothing. I noted that 2 of the items I wanted to order where now "out of stock". I decided that I would just use my credit card. I ordered the items and my total was over 400.00. I received an email immediately telling me that I needed to verify my shipping address (it differed from my billing address) I answered immediately. I heard nothing more. Again, I waited for well over a week. I finally decided that I would cancel the order. I phoned to cancel and the woman asked me why. I told her that I would not deal with a company that did not seem to want my business. I explained what happened, or tried to. She kept interrupting me and was very unprofessional. I was very frustrated and told her that there would be no more discussion but to "PLEASE" cancel my order. She kept telling me to calm down. I was frustrated at her but never was rude, as she was. I told her that I was not wanting to discuss my reasons again and that the service was horrible as she was proving. She told me that she would "not be disrespected" and hung up on me. I called back and got a gentleman who had to call someone to help him find my order. He was clearly not a phone representative as he did not know what to do. He was kind but he had another man beside him whom I could hear, telling him where to click and how to scroll on the page. I asked if I could speak to the man he was getting advice from, as that might be more simple. The other man took over my call and informed me that my order was canceled. I told him that I was hung up on by the girl who canceled it, without her telling me that she had done so. I told him about all the issues I had and that her attitude was the icing on the cake. He was very apologetic. The next day I received a voicemail from a company rep telling me that they had not received a reply to their email about my address and that they had to verify the address before they could send out my order!!!! I called back and told the rep that this was beyond ridiculous as my order had been canceled due to their not contacting me for over 10 days. She stated that the person leaving the voicemail had not scrolled down on the page far enough to see that the order was canceled. I will never order from them as if this is what happens with the ordering process, I cannot imagine having to deal with them over any actual problems once the order arrives!
Company representative comment on May 3, 2016:
On May 3, 2016 9:27 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Please accept our apology. Customer Service is important and we always appreciate the opportunity to address any dissatisfaction with our products and services. I would like to make your experience better. I would like to review your order notes. Please send me your full name, address, and/or order reference number so that I may review your records.

Positive WolfsbaneMN
Saint Paul, MN
January 20, 2016
Posted on January 9, 2016, updated January 20, 2016
Posted on January 9, 2016, updated January 9, 2016

On January 9th, 2016, WolfsbaneMN added the following:

In early May of 2015 I received my order of, among other things, two Canna ‘Phasion Tropicana’ rhizomes (ship date 4-29-2015), which I planted out three weeks later in good well-draining loam. When, a month later (19 June) neither had sprouted I called customer service for a refund. I was told I would get a credit, which credit would be confirmed by the following Tuesday. This I did not receive. I called customer service again a couple of days ago, on 07 Jan 2016, and was told the rhizomes could not be guaranteed because I\'m outside the stated hardiness zone. I was further notified that my call on 19 June 2015 had been to a \"horticulturist,\" for whatever difference that makes (but, to their credit, they had a record of the phone exchange). A follow-up email by me, also on 07 Jan 2016 elicted the same response, but in writing.

Of course I understand that cannas are not hardy here in MN, but I and many like me have grown them for years, planting in late spring for summer bloom, then lifting, if desired, in fall for overwintering in a heated garage (kept at 40° minimum). There can be no question that the rhizomes failed to grow due to lack of winter hardiness. The fact that the bulbs are not hardy here is irrelevant: They were planted for growing on in the summer of 2015. Their response that they don’t guarantee bulbs when ordered out of the hardiness zone is thus not only irrelevant, but illogical.

I am a gardener of over 50 years experience and a longtime customer of Wayside. I must say I resent the arbitrary “canned” response by both customer representatives and feel, frankly, infantilized. They should have made good on their product and kept a longtime customer.

On January 20th, 2016, WolfsbaneMN changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I'm happy to report that after contacting Angela D., the problem was resolved quickly and very much in line with the excellent customer service I had come to expect from Wayside.

Company representative comment on January 11, 2016:
On Jan 11, 2016 8:43 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Positive Glomill
TACONIC, CT
September 13, 2015
Posted on September 11, 2015, updated September 13, 2015
Posted on September 8, 2015, updated September 11, 2015
I called this morning to say that a newly purchased Lady Gardener Rose which had never really emerged from its dormancy was now done-I babied it all summer and even though the other two are beautiful in the same area-Not this one.
I was informed that the growing season was closed -therefore- No replacement.
It seems weird that they are still selling plants and sending out specials if the growing season is closed.
So for the price of one rose bush Wayside Gardens has lost a long time and frequent customer-
There are many other responsible growers who have extensive varieties and responsive customer relationships.
On September 11th, 2015, Glomill added the following:

So- now i received a lecture!

From: glomill@hotmail.com
To: cmoore@parkseed.com
Subject: RE: Sales Order Number-SO1437189
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 14:16:35 -0400

So-what you are saying is that the next time someone orders from you-instead of trying to get a plant to grow-we should immediately call and say that we want another one to replace it-
That is counter productive but very instructive- I will be sure to report this to all of my friends and to the Dave network.
\"Do not be honest and wait for a plant to thrive- -Just immediately call for a new one!\"
Great policy!
I am no longer a customer.
From: CMoore@parkseed.com
To: glomill@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Sales Order Number-SO1437189
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:06:42 +0000

Dear Gloria,

I am sorry to learn the Lady Gardner rose did not perform as expected in your garden. Our records indicate the order was delivered on 5/29/15 via UPS ground. Our horticulturist do feel that you would be able to tell if a plant is going to establish within 6 to 8 weeks of planting. If the plant does not establish for you and form new growth for you during the spring growing season, our horticulturist are always happy to offer advice on any of the plants you received. We do want our customers to be completely satisfied with their purchase, therefore if a plant fails to establish we do ask that you please let us know as soon as possible within the guarantee period so that the proper adjustment can made at that time. In addition, in some cases if we are notified within the guarantee period we are able to notate the order so that the guarantee can be extended longer for the plants in question. Since we did not receive any notification on the order the initial guarantee expired on 6/30/15 and the extended guarantee expired on 8/31/15. Unfortunately, due to the expired guarantee an adjustment could not be made on this order.

The offers you are receiving at this time would be for plants that can be ordered for fall planting. A lot of plants can be shipped and planted during the fall season once the weather begins to cool down. These plants can survive the winter if they receive the recommended care and are provided winter protection such as mulching or being moved to a protected area. If you order any plants for fall planting, these plants would be guaranteed until 6/30/2016, provided they received the recommended care.

Our guarantee states as follows:

We guarantee all Park Seed products to be high quality, true to type, shipped properly, and to perform as advertised. If your plant has received our recommended care and doesn\'t perform to your satisfaction, notify us and we will replace it free of charge or provide the cost of the product as credit toward a future purchase.
If any product was damaged in shipping, please contact us immediately.
To ensure that each living product has adequate opportunity to perform, we\'ve established the following guidelines for reporting other problems:
Annual plants: contact us within 14 days of receiving your plants
Gift plants: contact us within 30 days of receipt
Seed: contact us by the end of the growing season, which is:
For Spring seeds, June 30th
For Fall seeds, December 31st
Roses, bulbs, perennials, trees, and shrubs:
For plants received in Spring, contact us by June 30th of the year received
For plants received in Fall, contact us by June 30th of the year after receipt
Non-Plant Products. Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed with every product. If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines below and we will furnish a replacement or merchandise credit:
Living Gifts: contact us within 30 days of receipt
Tools and gardening accessories: within the 90 days, please contact Park Seed Returns Department at 1-800-845-1124 for RMA.
Again, we apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any more questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-845-1124.
Thanks,

Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:57 PM
To: Chandra Moore
Subject: Sales Order Number-SO1437189

Dear Chandra M-
Thank You for responding to my irritation with your phone Rep-
I ordered three roses at the beginning of the summer-
Two of them emerged from dormancy immediately-
The Lady Gardener took well into late July to sprout leaves from just a few canes. The others did not.
Each week as the others seemed to be on super charge, The Lady Gardener just seemed to fail-cane by cane. I kept expecting it to respond eventually just as the other two but it did not and this week it just gave up. The others are gorgeous and all planted close by with the same care and attention .

When I called the other day, the phone rep said it was too late to replace it and that I should have called sooner, and perhaps I should have, but I thought that I could get it to grow.
I get offers from your company everyday so apparently you still believe that the plants you are selling will survive the winter- If I buy from you now does that mean in the spring if it is dead that you do not stand behind your product?
I feel sad to have to write negative comments-That is not my style-especially with plant companies.
On September 13th, 2015, Glomill changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

This was resolved-Thank You-

Sales Order Number-SO1437189
Actions
Chandra Moore (CMoore@parkseed.com) Add to contacts 9/11/15 Keep this message at the top of your inbox
To: Gloria Miller
CMoore@parkseed.com
Dear Gloria,

First of all, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with the order. Wayside Gardens prides itself on delivering top quality products and service in a timely manner. Our goal is to meet and exceed the expectations of every customer. Unfortunately, it appears in this case our goal was not achieved on this order.

However, as a customer courtesy we have reviewed your order and have requested an adjustment be made on your account at this time for the Lady Gardner rose. Unfortunately, the Lady Gardner rose is unavailable at this time for a replacement to be issued. Therefore, we have issued you a merchandise credit on the order for the amount of $20.27. The merchandise credit number is CD110048Z21E and can be redeemed on a future order of your choice.

Again, we deeply apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience in this matter. We hope you will consider allowing Wayside Gardens to provide your gardening needs again in the future. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Chandra Moore
Retail Call Center Supervisor
JPPA, INC.
Parkseed, Wayside Gardens, Jackson and Perkins
(864) 223-8555 ext. 3109
Company representative comment on September 10, 2015:
On Sep 10, 2015 11:22 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with our service and that your Lady Gardener rose failed to grow in your garden. Please email me your order number or complete billing address (including zip code), and any other pertinent information to assist you. We at Wayside Gardens would like to make your experience better. I would like to review your account so that I may bring a better resolution and/or understanding to your issue.

Chandra M
Jackson and Perkins Sale Associate

Neutral carriegarden
Kansas City, MO
July 29, 2015
I've ordered several times from Wayside and have always been pleased with the plants I've received. I also like their catalog because it's really informative for a rookie gardener like me! But, every time I have received a shipment I curse the darn styrofoam peanuts, which fly away and are such a bother...plus, they can't be recycled.

I just now called the company and asked if a shipment could be sent without styrofoam. The answer is "no". The man I spoke with was courteous and said they're considering other options. End of conversation. So MAYBE I'll call them in a year and find out, since otherwise I won't be ordering from them again.
Company representative comment on July 30, 2015:
On Jul 30, 2015 8:14 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with the packing peanuts used in our shipments. Currently, we do use paper and cardboard inserts whenever possible. Unfortunately due to our wide assortment of plants, bulbs, seeds and gardening supplies, we have been unsuccessful in completely eliminating the use of peanuts in some of our shipments. These shipments sustain a high level of damage during the shipping process when peanuts are not used. In the past, we have tried many different materials, including newspaper, wood shavings, and starch (biodegradable) peanuts. Because the Styrofoam peanuts do not dissolve and do not trap or absorb moisture, we feel they are the best option for certain shipments at this time. However, we do regularly explore other packing material options; therefore, this may be something we are able to change in the future.

Packing peanuts are Styrofoam, which is a byproduct of the oil refining process. They not only make great, light-weight packing material but they have many other uses for the gardener. For instance, use them in the bottom of large containers to provide drainage without adding significant weight, making it easier to move them when necessary.

Negative gardenern
Bellevue, WA
July 7, 2015
“Wayside Gardens” sells highly poisons plants without any warning note about its danger. In addition to it, company ignores customer’s complaints.
I purchased two Minuet Mountain Laurel (Kalmia Latifolia) shrubs from “Wayside Gardens”. Plants were received in a good condition and timely manner. Later, company posted note on website indicating that this plant cannot be shipped to WA State (I live in WA State). This note raised my concern. I contacted “Wayside Gardens”, and customer service recommended me to contact state department of agriculture.
I performed an additional research on purchased shrubs and discovered that they are highly dangerous to humans, pets, and livestock. Delicious aroma of Kalmia flowers and its nectar are very attractive to children, and presents of Kalmia in a garden creates a potential hazard condition for children. I have a small child, and need to destroy these plants now.
Information in catalog should have some note indicating that plant is very toxic, and it should not be sold to me if it is restricted by state.
I submitted two complaints to “Wayside Gardens”, but never received any response from the company. I would never purchase any plants form “Wayside Gardens” again.

Company representative comment on July 7, 2015:
On Jul 7, 2015 3:29 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Wayside Gardens offers beautiful and unique plants to be grown for ornamentation. We supply considerable information about plant items including: physical description, attributes, size, habit, environmental conditions required, and USDA Hardiness Zone Recommendations. Because our focus is mainly on the ornamental aspects of plants, we do not include plant toxicity information. We consider it the responsibility of the customer to make an inquiry about plant toxicity before ordering, if this is a concern. If someone does have a special circumstance, such as children or pets, all they have to do is ask the Horticulturist at the company for assistance and the information will be gladly provided. You can also check with your local county extension agent. We apologize for any confusion concerning the ability to ship the Kalmia to WA. As this is incorrect information online and we are currently working to remove this comment. Kalmia plants are not quarantined to WA. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience cause.

Negative SpringPeeper
Willows, CA
June 12, 2015
I recently took advantage of Wayside Garden's sales and ordered from them for the first time. A lot of the plants arrived destroyed or damaged due to packaging. I had ordered several six packs of Delosperma and Coreopsis. They came in a box with a cardboard insert that was folded and wedged in directly on top of the six packs, which had mangled half the Coreopsis and reduced all of the ice plants to nasty slime. The other box contained larger Coreopsis, a Mangave, and two types of Sedum that were badly damaged due to having tight rubber bands directly on the plants. It also contained a single pot of Delosperma that was just stringy goop. I sent photos of the destroyed plants as proof, and did not receive an answer until I had contacted them many, many times over the course of the week. They eventually refunded me some of the cost of the Delosperma only, and asked me to give the other plants until August before asking for 'adjustments'. The price I was refunded for the ice plants is not enough to cover the cost of ordering a replacement of even one of the six packs I lost (not to mention shipping). At this point, I don't know that it is even worth giving them my business to use the paltry credit they offered.
Company representative comment on June 15, 2015:
On Jun 15, 2015 8:01 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am sorry to hear about the condition of your plants upon arrival and that you are dissatisfied with our service. I would like to help with your situation. Would you please provide me with your name, address, order # , and I will gladly work with you toward some sort of resolution in this situation.

Negative amybutton
Taneytown, MD
June 12, 2015
Prices were great as I purchased several items on sale. Shipping time was as expected. Some plants arrived in okay condition, but several had black slimy leaves that disintegrated upon being touched. I emailed the company that same day (6/1) and have still not received a response (6/12). I see they routinely have said on this and other forums that they get busy and backed up in responding to email, so I tried to be patient, but I feel I've given more than adequate time for them to respond. I could not recommend them or do business with them in the future. I'm out the money as even though I planted the items, they are showing no signs of new life. I can handle getting a bad plant, but the lack of customer service is shameful (especially when I continue getting promotional emails once a day!). Highly disappointed.
Company representative comment on June 12, 2015:
On Jun 12, 2015 8:49 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am so sorry to learn the condition of the plants upon arrival. I would like to assist in bringing a solution to your issues. Please email me with your name, address, and order number so that I may help you with this situation. Wayside Gardens values our customers and would like to make your experience better. I would like to review your account and make the appropriate adjustments for you as stated in our Guarantee.

Positive flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID
May 21, 2015
Posted on June 4, 2013, updated May 21, 2015
I ordered three delphiniums and one other plant from Wayside Gardens this year. They did send an e-mail confirmation when the order was shipped, but it took eight full days before it finally arrived. In the e-mail, it said UPS when they really meant USPS, a mistake. I was waiting for the familiar brown United Parcel Service truck to bring it by. Instead, I got a notice in our mailbox to pick it up at the Post Office. Either way, it finally arrived.

But, when I opened the box, the central (main) stems of all three delphiniums were cracked or broken, and the lower leaves were yellow. There was no support provided to stabilize these taller plants and prevent breakage. The other plant, which is short and squatty, is fine.

I called customer service and they referred me to one of their horticulturists. He was very polite and he did put in a note for them to credit me for the price of the delphiniums on another order of my choice, and there is no expiration date on the credit, so I can use it in the Fall. I was given a reference number for that purpose.

They couldn\'t replace the delphiniums because they were sold out.

That\'s fine, as long as they honor the credit when I get ready to use it.

The horticulturist also advised me to clip off the broken stems and yellow leaves, and to go ahead and plant the delphiniums anyway, as he thought there was a good chance they would recover.

I did, and one of them is starting to put on some new growth, but I\'m still waiting on the other two to do anything.

It\'s a shame, because these had been nice green, healthy plants -- the upper leaves on the broken stems still looked nice. Now they\'ve been set back so far that it might take our entire short growing season for them to progress to where they previously had been. I had my heart set on seeing lovely blue flowers this year on tall, stately stalks.

In the future, I suggest these folks pack their plants more securely and when they confirm the shipping, to get the carrier right.

This is much, much better than the last experience I had with Wayside Gardens, so I\'m giving them a positive rating, because they were polite and helpful this time, and didn\'t ignore my problem.

On May 21st, 2015, flowermaiden2 added the following:

This year's order arrived in much better condition.

As per my previous comment, the horticulturalist I spoke with the last time I ordered delphiniums advised me to go ahead and plant them in spite of broken stems and leaves. I did, and while it took another year or so, they did come back and have bloomed. They're still going strong, two years later, two of them already have flower buds.

The delphiniums with this year's order look much better. I also ordered a yellow Baptista, and got a nice green plant with some size to it, and two Knophia (Red-Hot Poker or Torch Lily). One is huge and the other not so large, but still has several leaves on it.

Everything should do well. I'm keeping the positive rating for Wayside this year.

Negative RosesLover
Wichita, KS
May 16, 2015
Don't buy from Wayside Gardens. Placed order & didn't hear from them for almost a week. Emailed & got an email saying my order is being shipped. They didn't not plan on shipping time so my trees & flowers are sitting at UPS warehouse waiting for delivery next week. I hope they're not dead.

They also marked down the items I ordered the very next day. I contacted them asking for price adjustment. Didn't hear from them until almost a week. They then said "so sorry, since we shipped your trees/flowers already, we can't adjust the price." I contacted them way before they shipped & they just didn't answer their damn emails until after. They cannot be trusted!!! Bad service, poor communications & the worst place to buy.

Save yourself headaches & money, shop elsewhere. I'd never shop with them again.
Company representative comment on May 18, 2015:
On May 18, 2015 8:12 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am so sorry to learn you failed to receive a timely response from our email team. Unfortunately our email department can tend to get behind during the peak season, due to the volume of email they receive daily. I apologize for this inconvenience caused. However, if you would email me with your order number or complete billing address (including zip code), I will be more than happy to assist you. Please include the promotion sale you are referring to please.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7/#ixzz3aUltiq3t

Negative bonsaiguydw
Mendenhall, PA
May 10, 2015
Posted on May 7, 2015, updated May 11, 2015
Posted on April 24, 2015, updated May 7, 2015
Plants as expected. Shipping and packaging was fine. Great for standard plants.
On May 7th, 2015, bonsaiguydw changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I had one plant that was so dry it died. I sent them a note when it arrived and when it died. They assigned a case number and said I\'d hear back in 48 hours. That was April 24. Since them I\'ve emailed 2 follow ups to that claim and heard nothing. Plants that were alive were OK but customer service seems to only exist to respond to notes in Dave\'s Garden,
On May 10th, 2015, bonsaiguydw changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Can answer here but no action from customer service which had Alll data. No direct contact, no new plant, no regrets...NO positive rating.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2015:
On Apr 24, 2015 8:39 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We appreciate you taking the time to post on Dave’s Garden about how pleased you are with your order/product. Thank you! Your opinion is valued and we, of course, welcome feedback. It\\\'s customers like you who act as a reminder of why we do what we do and the importance of supplying only top quality products as well as to offer the best service possible. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

On May 8, 2015 11:43 AM, Wayside Gardens added:

I am so sorry to learn that one of your plants has died. Unfortunately our email department can tend to get behind during the peak season, I apologize they have not responded to your inquiries sent. However, if you would email me with your order number or complete billing address (including zip code), I will be more than happy to assist you. Please include the item you are referring to please.

On May 11, 2015 4:47 PM, Wayside Gardens added:

I am so sorry that you have not been able to get help from our customer service, but if you would email me directly, I will be more than happy to assist you with your issues.

Positive oliviass
Nashville, TN
April 22, 2015
Posted on April 20, 2015, updated April 22, 2015
This has more to do with customer service at the moment as I haven\'t gotten my plants (though from reading these comments I\'m not sure that I will). I have reached out to them several times regarding shipping and tracking information...to see if I could confirm that they are actually preparing to send them. My card has not been charged yet for my plants and I\'m just wanting to make sure that I can properly allocate my funds in my checkbook. Every time I call the service line, I end up with an answering machine on which I have to leave a message that never gets returned. I\'ve sent an email almost 48 hours ago and have not received any response besides an automated one. Hoping I can redeem my view of this company, but from what it seems, they focus on appearances and not customer service.
On April 22nd, 2015, oliviass changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Ms. Davenport contacted me very promptly to resolve the issues I had. Looking forward to getting my plants and appreciate the quick resolution very much.
Company representative comment on April 21, 2015:
On Apr 21, 2015 11:01 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Neutral yippee1999
(Zone 6b)
April 9, 2015
Placed an online order on Feb. 9, 2015 for some plants that would not ship until the Spring sometime. Never received any kind of email confirmation of my order (which is strange in this day and age). So mainly for my own records, I emailed them and cc'd myself saying "this is to confirm that today I placed an order with you for four plants at a total cost of X." No acknowledgement from WG of my email to them.

Two months later I thought 'gee, shouldn't I have heard something by now?' So I emailed them asking the status. No reply.

Two days later, box suddenly appears with all my plants. Box says Live Plants Open Immediately.

Now...what if I were out of town...on vacation? Did they ever consider to check with me first to let me know when the items would be shipped...if someone would be home during that time period to open the box??!

The box had no indication of which side was 'Up'. The four plants were put into one long box...about 3.5' long. Each plant was separated with packing peanuts etc. Overall the plants looked in good condition though there were a few broken stems, which often happens when buying plants via mail. I guess I'll see how they do once I plant them.

I'd have to say however that I was not impressed with their total lack of communication.
Company representative comment on April 10, 2015:
On Apr 10, 2015 1:29 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am sorry I was unable to contact you directly, I am unable to locate your account with the information given on this site. I would like to assist in bringing a solution to your issues. Please email me with your name, address, and order number so that I may help you with this situation.

Negative wstew
Simpsonville, SC
April 2, 2015
In April 2014 bought 20 expensive daylilies. Did not do well and did not come back this year at all. Talked with customer service and they said only 2 months till end of June of 2014 Guarantee. Wayside-Parks used to be a quality company but that has changed drastically, now inferior product, high shipping. Would definitely not recommend now.
Company representative comment on April 3, 2015:
On Apr 3, 2015 12:16 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

I am sorry I was unable to contact you directly because I do not have any information. We do carry a seasonal warranty that expires on June 30th of the same season purchased. If you find that a plant received for spring planting is not performing as expected, we do ask that you notify us within the spring growing season so that the proper adjustment can be made during the guarantee period. Our Horticulturists are always happy to offer suggestions and assistance. If you let us know of a problem you are experiencing with your plants, your order is noted so that your guarantee can be extended a little longer for the plants in question. We sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with our service. Would you please provide us with your name, address, order # and we will gladly work with you toward some sort of resolution in this situation.

Neutral kywaterfowl
Russell Springs, KY
February 17, 2015
I got a catalog from wayside gardens, check Dave's garden watch dog and will never buy from them after seeing these comments I threw away all their catalogs, sorry wayside you're way to big for your own good.
On Mar 3, 2015 11:02 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

On Apr 6, 2015 2:55 PM, Wayside Gardens added:

We haven’t heard from you and would still like to assist you. Please email me so that I may help you with this situation.

Negative Rpeazalea
Potomac, MD
November 27, 2014
Posted on October 13, 2014, updated November 27, 2014
My recent purchase was extremely disappointing. They didn\'t look anything like the pictures, and were rather small. The rhododendron had a tiny root ball, put on a two quart pot with filler. One has already died, in less than a week, and I am rather experienced at caring for plants. For the money I spent I would have been much better off driving to my Big box.

I\'ve complained about the quality, including forwarding photographs, but haven\'t heard a word.

On November 27th, 2014, Rpeazalea added the following:

With the arrival of the first cold, all four plants purchased firm wayside are dead. They never stood a chance. in comparison, I planted 35 other plants this year, including a dozen Camellia's and they all look great.

What is worse than the fact that they all died, due to their low quality, is that Wayside won't live up to their guarantee or do the right thing. Home-depot does more.
On Mar 3, 2015 11:01 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with our products. We would like to assist in bringing a solution to your issues. Please email us with your name, address, and order number so that we may help you with this situation.

On Apr 6, 2015 2:56 PM, Wayside Gardens added:

Neutral ladyyarrow
Palestine, TX
October 20, 2014
Posted on October 2, 2014, updated October 20, 2014
I used a $50 gift certificate to order 3 lavenders and 1 verbena. I took them out of the box as soon as they were delivered. All 4 plants arrived with no wrapping in a box of packing peanuts. One was dead and the other 3 were fading fast. I took pictures immediately and contacted the company. They sent an auto email saying they would contact me in 2 days. I sent pictures again the next day and finally got an email saying they were sorry the plants didn\'t thrive in my garden, (they never made it to my garden). They offered a $38 merchandise credit. I said that was unacceptable. I wanted a refund or a replacement for the plants I ordered. Have not heard from them since.
On October 20th, 2014, ladyyarrow changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Angela from Parkseed was very helpful and quick with a response. She arranged full merchandise credit, so I was able to reorder my lavenders and a geranium in place of the verbena. They are still being shipped unwrapped in a box of packing peanuts, but the plants were much better specimens than the first shipment. As I told Angela once burned twice shy. I will never be ordering from WG again. I have better luck at Lowe's markdown table.
On oct 3, 2014 7:37 , Wayside Gardens responded with:

We would like to assist in bringing a solution to your issues. Please email us with your name, address, and order number so that we may help you with this situation. I would like to review your account so that I may bring a better resolution to your issue.

On Apr 6, 2015 2:57 PM, Wayside Gardens added:

Negative Debrajjackson
Vermilion, OH
October 13, 2014
Trying to get a refund is a disaster. Trying to find a real person to help you with a problem is a joke. They absolutely refuse to send my plants at the right time for my area. Why in the world would you send a rose to northern ohio in mid-to late October? Big surprise--the rose didn't make it thru the winter!! I contacted WG and guess what? They want to send the replacement rose in October. So here we go again.

Save your money. Find another place to shop. Now you watch, I'll get the standard letter stating how much WG wants to help me. Right.

Debra Jackson
Vermilion, Ohio
On Mar 3, 2015 11:05 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We would like to assist in bringing a solution to your issues. Please email us with your name, address, and order number so that we may help you with this situation. We at Jackson and Perkins would like to make your experience better. I would like to review your account so that I may bring a better resolution to your issue.

Jackson and Perkins Sale Associate

On Apr 6, 2015 2:56 PM, Wayside Gardens added:

Positive srvadt
Smyrna, GA
October 11, 2014
Ordered one Mountain Laurel from Wayside Gardens. It came in about 1-2 weeks, and was very healthy looking. It's in the ground now and I guess the rest is up to me. I manage to kill everything. :( No problems with WG based on my limited experience.
Negative BetNC
Hendersonville, NC (Zone 7a)
September 21, 2014
This is the first and last year I will order from WG.
I ordered a Robin Hood blue beardtongue and a ghost lady fern. The fern was a sad, half-dead specimen that has failed to thrive, being scarcely larger than when I got it. Somebody in Packaging had cut the beardtongue's central stalk so it would fit in the box; what remained was a truncated half inch surrounded by a sparse ground-hugging base. It has not visibly grown this year at all.
Both plants are a dissapointment.
On Sep 22, 2014 8:48 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We have reviewed your posting on Dave\'s Garden Watchdog website. We want to resolve the problem but are unable to locate your order with the partial email address provided by the site. Please forward your order number or complete billing address (including zip code), and any other pertinent information to assist you. We want to help.

On Apr 6, 2015 2:57 PM, Wayside Gardens added:

Positive Flowers4Seasons
June 5, 2014
I've been ordering from Wayside Gardens for ten years and I have only had good experiences. The plants have arrived healthy and well packed. In a few rare instances, the plants did not survive, and replacements were sent without a hassle.

Their prices are higher than some other mailorder plant suppliers, but I feel the price is worth it for the quality I've received. Believe me, I have been burned by other mail order companies.
Company representative comment on September 29, 2014:
On Sep 29, 2014 10:07 AM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how pleased you have been with your orders and services received. Thank you! Your opinion is valued and we, of course, always welcome feedback. It's customers like you who act as a reminder of why we do what we do and the importance of supplying only top quality products as well as to offer the best service possible. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Negative mo_ryan
Williamsburg, VA
June 4, 2014
Wish I could make that negative in big bold letters with flashing red lights all around. Do NOT order from this company or from Park Seed. Understand I am sadly not one to leave reviews and should have checked the reviews before doing business with either Wayside or Park Seed. If you are reading this - take heed from what others have written. I wish I had. My story is I paid a small fortune for 2 clematis that I could have bought from Brushwood for half the price. But these were supposedly 2 quart plants. The pots were 2 quart but the plants themselves were minuscule, wilted, and beaten up from shipping. I compared them to some clematis I got in from Brushwood that were 1 quart plants yet 3 times the size of the Wayside clematis, vigorous, and healthy. Called them up and had to send pics to their "horticulturist" for review. I did eventually get a response back saying that the plants in question were beautiful and healthy and had no issues. No kidding these plants were tiny, wilted and in lousy shape. I can not believe that she had the gall to say that they were in great shape. Sadly I had a similar experience with Park Seed. I Ordered some lantanas from Park Seed. They came in - get this - a big loose envelope mailer with absolutely no packing material to protect the plants. I've been mail ordering plants a long while and have never received plants like this - bulbs perhaps but plants? Needless to say all but one croaked. Stupid me, I thought this was a fluke and instead of calling them up and pitching a fit - I came back for more. This time I ordered 8 plants. I really wanted this specific lantana and couldn't find it anywhere else. As is the norm - it took about 3 weeks for them to ship the plants out and when the box arrived - I popped it open to see that once again the plants had not been secured or protected in any way. They'd just been beating around in the box. Nothing was left but little stems. Now understand that this year alone I've ordered probably thousands of dollars in plants. Recently bought an old fixer upper and the yard is a gut job. So, starting from scratch with plantings. I've gotten scores of plants that were healthy and had been carefully packed. Of all of them - I had one plant that had been broken (type of plant with a very fragile stem) I called up the company and they apologized profusely and sent out a replacement plant that day. Stupid me I thought I'd get the same customer service from Park Seed. Not even. Could not have cared less. Told me that I had to take pics of the plants and email them with an explanation to their "horticulturists" at Plant Doctor (aka expect no reply) dot com. Days pass and I call again. Told that it might take days for these supposed horticulturists to review my pics. Call again and instead of asking for customer service I went straight to the horticulturist. This guy was actually helpful, marked my account for a refund and then directs me back to customer service. Again, could their customer service be any worse? This woman tries to give me a store credit (no way will I ever shop with them again) AND she tries to - get this - NOT refund me for the shipping and handling! Yep, she tells me, okay, you'll be getting a store credit for x amount. I ask why the difference of the amount vice what I paid? She says I won't be refunding for S&H. I flip a nut at this point. Explain that there is NO way I will pay for S&H for plants that were dead on arrival BECAUSE of their improper packing! We go back and forth and finally she snippily states that I'll be given refund for the full amount but that will take 5-10 days. We shall see. In the meantime I will never ever spend a single dime with either of these companies, nor with any of the companies affiliated with them such as Jackson and Perkins. Shoddy service all around. Ridiculously undersized plants, horrible packing and shipping and the customer service is the worst I've ever seen. Their guarantee is a joke. The only bright light is that these weren't massive orders where I lost hundreds of dollars. The bottom line is - I can not say enough bad things about either one of these companies. There are some fantastic mail order companies out there that with healthy plants and superb customer service. Park Seed and Wayside are not. I can't fathom what their business model must be. I would assume that mail order garden companies rely heavily on return customers. I alone have made multiple orders to with a number of different companies this year alone. How can Park Seed and Wayside expect to conduct business in this manner and still stay in business?
On Aug 26, 2014 3:10 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Negative gerryo1
Lynchburg, VA
June 3, 2014
Order #WEB004076000
I've never had a problem with this company until now. Their pricing and packaging of the Japanese maple I ordered was spot on until some moron in the shipping department decided to throw their heavy catalog into the shipping box. Again, not a problem if he/she had thought to secure it, but that did not happen so the catalog bounced around the box between SC and my house in VA. As a result, the tree arrived with four broken branches, which makes for a very misshapen maple. I see on their web site that this particular maple is now sold out. I am still waiting for a response to my E-mail on a solution.

On Aug 26, 2014 3:07 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Neutral casper8802
Desert View Highlands, CA
May 21, 2014
I ordered 4 plants from Wayside in May.Each plant was about $25.Each plant arrived in good condition.The 2 Clematis plants were very small(1 shoot about 8 inches tall).The other 2 plants were about the size of a 1 gallon plant.I ordered from Wayside even though the ratings were poor because I wanted a rare plant that they carried.I would not order from them again due to the small size of the 2 clematis plants.After reading others comments I am just glad my plants all arrived in good condition here in California.
On Aug 26, 2014 3:06 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Negative cottelpg
Hamilton, OH (Zone 6a)
May 20, 2014
Early last fall I ordered some perennials from Wayside. Beginning on October 7 I began calling to esquire about the status of my order. In each instance I was given assurances that the order was about to be shipped, but it was not. I ended up calling the company seven times about this issue. The plants did not arrive until mid Nonmember. I doubted their viability when planted that late and I was right. This May I confirmed that all had died. I wrote the company a letter expressing displeasure about all of this this, explaining that I had been a customer of Park Seed for over forty years. My letter was ignored. i don't know if there has been a change of ownership in this company or what. I used to get good service from Park Seed. I do know this: I will absolutely never do business with Wayside or any affiliate of Park Seed again.
On Aug 26, 2014 3:05 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Negative shighlander
Fruit Hill, OH
May 16, 2014
I have 2 issues to address..one is the condition of my plants....I ordered 5 hydrangea's and a butterfly bush...they were all quart size plants...they were shipped all together in a slender long box..the were in they were overlapped in the bottom of the box and packed with lot's of peanuts...so many that the plants had fractured stems...so they plants I paid a lot of money for were not much more than bareroot.....the other issue I have is that a mere 6 days after I ordered the items I purchased went on sale..by a significant amount...so I email customer service and asked for an in-store credit for the difference...most retailers will honor discounts on merchandise up to 7 days after purchase,...they responded first by saying my order was shipped and they couldn't give me a refund....and I responded by again describing the situation and that I was not asking for a refund but for an instore credit...emailed me back saying the won't or don't do that...I work for an online retailer and started in customer service...and I can tell you this is not how you handle this situation...I will NEVER buy from them again...I'm going to copy the last email response:

Unfortunately, we do not give credit for items that go on sale. The sale prices are for new orders only and we do not credit previous orders.

Again, thank you for writing to us. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us (number and address listed below). And thanks for gardening with Wayside!
On Aug 26, 2014 3:03 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Negative cabbageleaf123
Bayard, IA
May 7, 2014
Placed order in Jan 2014. Received plants in May 2014. The Blue Bird Clematis was bent and a flimsy slip of vine that will no doubt die. One of the poppy roots was spoiled and gooey, The other two were alive but poor quality. I reported my dissatisfaction about the Blue Bird Clematis and they emailed back days later and said they needed photos. I am beyond livid. I sent photo of the plant and have not heard back. It's pretty clear to me that they don't care about customer satisfaction. I will buy my plants elsewhere from here on out. When you pay $24.95 for a vine you expect a plant of quality.
On Aug 26, 2014 3:02 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Negative bluntforcemama
Bothell, WA (Zone 8a)
April 4, 2014
I ordered an Illumination Flame Digiplexis this winter, and it arrived dead in early March. I emailed about Wayside Gardens three or four weeks ago asking for advice or inquiring about regeneration and received no reply. Sometimes plants die during shipment, but there is no excuse for no customer service.
On Aug 26, 2014 2:58 PM, Wayside Gardens responded with:

Positive elizabethbaxley
Middleburg, FL
August 11, 2013
Posted on August 5, 2013, updated August 11, 2013
ordered tree in march 2013. didn't get it. they cashed check. called three times long distance over a four month period. wouldn't let me talk to owner or manager. wouldn't send tree from new catalog. said three times, check in the mail $74.00. no check no tree. am tired of calling and getting the same person and not getting any results. always before, great plants. packed right. a real dissapointment not to be able to order from them again.
On August 11th, 2013, elizabethbaxley changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

FINALLY GOT THE CHECK. WILL GO ON ORDERING FROM THEM AS THEY HAVE WONDERFUL, HEALTHY PLANTS AND PACK THEM WELL.
Negative ivygarden
Odell, IL
July 6, 2013
I wrote to Wayside Gardens regarding a Burgundy Iceberg Rose I purchased last Fall.It is now Summer and it has not come back - NO growth at all.

This was their reply - "Our Horticulturist do feel that varieties planted in the fall should be up and growing by mid to late spring of the following year. If you do not have growth at that time, please do not hesitate to let us know during the guarantee period. I'm sorry but the guarantee is no longer in effect for your fall order"
Seriously?!?!? Talk about contradiction!

I will NEVER order from this company again.

I will also let all my gardening friends know that this company is NOT trustworthy.They sell garbage and then you are out the money.
Neutral Clayfield
Germantown, WI
June 7, 2013
Posted on May 21, 2013, updated June 7, 2013
A terrible experience from start to finish.
I did not know that Wayside Gardens had been bought out by another company prior to placing a recent, hefty order.
I ordered early this year because, as a zone 5/5a gardener, you get tired of everything being out of stock when it's finally safe to plant. Wayside's website stated that plants would "ship at the appropriate time for my zone."
When I received an e-mail in early April that my plants had shipped, I immediately e-mailed to let Wayside know that my garden was still covered in snow and that a hard freeze and more snow was in the forecast.
I had to e-mail twice before I got a response saying, I should let them know about any trouble with the plants, but that the plants were shipped at a time judged safe for my zone. Hah! We don't plant anything but radishes and cabbage here, until Memorial Day. We certainly don't plant spindly, half dead infant perennials.
The plants did in fact arrive during a snowstorm and had been packed on their sides, one on top of another and covered with foam peanuts. Once I untangled the contents of the box, I could see that the tiny, spindly Caryopteris were already dropping curled dried leaves. They appeared not to have any roots at all but were just cuttings.
Each of the three pots of miscanthus had only one sickly blade of green, and a pot of "dormant" delphinium never emerged at all.
I managed to keep a number of plants alive until it was safe to plant them...Only a few have managed to survive out in the garden.
The caryopteris died within two days along with two of the Miscanthus. Never any sign of life from the "dormant" delphinium. Lost one of three echinaceas, another one is barely clinging to life. The coreopsis and a ground rose have survived.
Total $$ lost, $66.95.
Repeated e-mails about the "trouble with my plants" have garnered no response at all, and phone calls go to voice-mail.
Never again, Wayside Gardens.

On June 7th, 2013, Clayfield changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Update. I finally was able to reach someone on the phone at Wayside and customer service apologized and refunded all money for the plants that I had lost without hesitation or hassle.

You can't ask for more than that in terms of customer service, so I am changing my rating from negative to neutral.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.