The scoop on 'Thyme After Thyme'

Thyme After Thyme

550 Athens Road
Winterville, Georgia 30683 (United States)

Visit Thyme After Thyme at:

» Like them on Facebook

Editor's Comment:
Closed Per a note from a reader, this business has closed.

Company Comment, posted on October 1, 2008:
What a lovely place! Helpful and friendly workers, beautiful plants, and the landscaping is breath-taking. Such a wonderful place to visit and take a nice, relaxing stroll around.

Comments:

Negative Bev4
Roswell, GA
May 11, 2012
Although the plants arrived quickly & in very good condition, I cannot recommend using this nursery unless money is no object & you are not concerned with the final amount your credit card will be billed. I ordered 5 plants that were listed as $8 each, the on-line invoice indicated they were $8 each. The site did indicate that they charge handling plus actual shipping, and the shipping fee was something I thought might vary a bit.

However, when the plants arrived, a handwritten invoice had been tucked in with them that indicated that instead of $8 per plant, I had been charged $12 each. Shipping & handling fees were exactly as the on-line invoice stated. The web site STILL indicates the plants are $8 each. I sent an e-mail asking for a refund of the $20 difference and received this abrupt reply:

As it says on our website prices are subject to change and the website has not been fully updated for 2012 and the current pricing of that plant this year is $12. Your hand written bill reflected the change. Thanks, Heather @Thyme After Thyme

I did not see anywhere on the web site that the plant prices could change, until I went back and looked and found a little blurb on the "About Us" page. On this page, it also said they would contact you if the price changed -- no one contacted me about the price discrepancy.

I am very disappointed in the way they run their web site. What on-line seller doesn't update their prices? I cannot imagine Amazon arbitrarily changing the price of something I ordered & then just billing me whatever they wanted.

If you are going to order from them, I would suggest at least calling (although you'll get a machine) and trying to talk to someone to see what the actual prices really are. The plants are lovely, but I would have only ordered 3 if I had known how much they really cost.
Company representative comment on May 14, 2012:
On May 14, 2012 1:57 PM, Thyme After Thyme responded with:

Hi,

We’ve reviewed your comments and think you have a good point about the difference in plant price – a refund for the whole $20.00 will be cheerfully refunded via U.S. Mail this week. Happily, the online portion of our business has been growing like gangbusters, but we’ve obviously missed updating that plant price for 2012 while we were busy filling orders. We are reviewing the catalog for accuracy and will correct any discrepancies if they are discovered. While we expected a few growing pains, we certainly did not intend to pass them on to any of our much-appreciated customers.

Please accept our apologies for the unexpected price change – we hope you’ll try our business again in the future and find us exactly to your liking. –Sally Barksdale, owner.

PS – the increase in business means we are in the field more than we are in the office most days. This week we had some technical delays while our lines were being upgraded, so the answering machine took a few extra calls. We’re open 7 days a week and try to answer as many calls “in person” as we can – anyone who leaves a message has their calls returned.

Positive plympton
Plympton, MA
April 27, 2012
Plants arrived in excellent condition. They were packed well and generously sized! Would not hesitate to recommend this nursery
Positive gracesplants
Howell, MI
May 18, 2011
EXCELLENT!!!! I just received my honeysuckle and an EXTREMELY happy. Plants are in VERY good health. Packaging kept plants SAFE and cozy. Plants shipped the next shipping day and only had to travel for TWO days (GA to MI). I repeat--EXCELLENT! These plants will thrive beautifully. I look forward to ordering from them next year. Thank you Thyme after Thyme.
Positive LOVIE2
Boston, MA (Zone 6a)
May 1, 2011
Posted on April 25, 2011, updated May 1, 2011
Posted on April 23, 2011, updated April 25, 2011
I had high hopes for this company to be my new online resource based on the very positive reviews but I must've got them on a bad day. I'm not happy an can't ignore it as I'm highly annoyed that I've had to spend another day looking for plants that I alredy ordered. I'm sure others will have good things to say, I'm leaving this as a neutral due to the fact that the first person i spoke to was very helpful and courteous, but after that it went down hill from there.

I felt the need to an email today - this is it below:

I need to get this off of my chest as this has bothered me all morning. I sent Thyme after Thyme an email on March 29, 2011 because I was interested in placing an online order with your company and was having a problem selecting diferent varieties of plants on the website. I left a voicemail earlier on the same day but recieved no call back in regards to it, however when I sent the email via Daves Garden (Garden Watchdog) I recieved a call back quickly. I spoke with a very friendly woman who's name escapes me but I know she was fighting a cold when she took my order, answered all of my questions and made wonderful suggestions to add to my order. I gave my billing and shipping information, selected my shipment date of 4/25/2011 and was told to expect an email and phone by 4/22/2011 to confirm shipment and if I needed to change anything I could do so then. Well I never recieved a call so I called on 4/22/2011 and again requested a call back - I received nothing.
I called this morning and was passed to Heather who I am assuming handles the orders. My order from 3/29/2011 was never placed! Are you kidding me? Some of the items I ordered and was told where in stock and would not be a problem are now no longer available. Are you kidding me? No phone call to the customer to advise of this? I placed my order ahead of time to avoid situations such as this. Now I'm concerned about exactly where my billing information has disappeared to. Sigh....
I was very excited to try this company for the first time but the customer service went from a 10+ to a 1 in less than 30 days. I doubt I will try this again.

On April 25th, 2011, LOVIE2 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I recieved a very personable and apologetic phone call today to address the issues in my previous post. While I cannot vouch for the quality of the plants themselves, customer service mean so much to me right now. For the level of customer service recieved today, I feel I need to change my rating to a positive. Thanks Jenny! .
On May 1st, 2011, LOVIE2 added the following:

As stated before good customer service is a priority with me and I can say that as of 4/29/11 - I have recieved the BEST customer service I could have ever imagined with this company. I am quite honored that my comments were taken so seriously and that my business is important to them. I am now able to vouch for their plant quality as I have a few at this time. EXCELLENT!! :-)
I'm so excited to see how the thyme and Rosemary "Arp" does over this winter. The pineapple sage smells divine! Sally and Jenny - You guys rock! Thank You!
Positive lovethelake
Camden, SC
February 26, 2011
Absolutely the best! Exceptional customer service and rapid response to my questions. Ordered 3 Tangerine Beauty Crossvines on a Sunday and received them Monday! Secure and well packed. Vines were in excellent shape. I can't say enough good things about this company. I highly recommend them. Thanks!
Positive davestp38
Woodruff, SC
February 25, 2011
I read the reviews before ordering so decided to try my luck
Ordered two sugar cane ( ornamental grass ), These plants
came in gallon containers just like they sell at home depot
was very well packed and was on my doorstep in around
two business days. They also included a THYME AFTER
THYME catalogue along with a nice welcome letter.
I am very pleased with this co. and will defenitly order from
them again just wished they had more stuff like more types of
hydrangeas.
Positive juku
York Point, NS (Zone 5a)
November 22, 2010
Just bought and received 4 allspice, 1 bay rum, 1 galanga from this company. VERY PLEASED!!!!! the plants are vibrant, vigorous and reasonably priced. Jenny & Heather are a joy to deal with. I got the plants quickly and as promised.
Minus: their web inventory might not be up-to-date; Check with them. In my case, I got pleasant surprise finding out what they actually have in stock.
I definitely buy from Thyme After Thyme again!
Positive PW197789
Arlington, TX (Zone 8a)
November 18, 2010
I have just started searching for a blue glow agave plant. I called Thyme after Thyme as they were a vendor advertised on Dave's Garden as having one to sell. I was delighted to be able to speak to the owner, Sally, at a time that was convenient for her to talk a bit. She not only gave me advice about the plant I was interested in, but offered other suggestions about my specific need. She took care to ensure I understood the size of the plant she had to offer and shipping and handling policies so there were no surprises on my end. Her passion for her business, knowledge and interest in my needs have made me eager to complete a transaction.
Positive YvonneMal
Susquehanna, PA
May 12, 2010
Well rooted, healthy, full-gallon size plants at unbeatable prices.

Glad I had the foresight to inquire into the 3-gallon Saccharum arundinaceum ..... HARDY SUGAR CANE. As it sits in the pot now, it is at filled out size that will give it a good start in zone 6 here. I intend to pick the best spot and baby this baby through the coming winter.

Amy, I appreciate your communication on mailing as well as our informative chat and your assistance on the phone.

Positively good buy on all 5 plants with reasonable handling and shipping charges. Salud!
Positive Kamikid
Thomasville, GA (Zone 8a)
March 27, 2010
I just ordered some g. Veronica and it is beautiful. I am going to order 12 more because my husband liked it so well for an area that doesn't get much sun and we can't grow grass. They were well packed and good plants.
Positive katygirl2
Katy, TX
February 26, 2010
Great customer service, answered lots of my questions about plants and worked with me on which plants would be best for my area. I recently moved from Denver, Co to Katy, Tx so am learning all over again about which plants will do well here. My plants arrived as described. Very pleased!
Positive dianne99
Brookville, KS (Zone 5b)
December 8, 2008
I have never mail ordered from Thyme After Thyme, but lived near there and frequented them. The plants are very high quality and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.