The scoop on 'Happy Holler Gardens (1001 Flower Bulbs & Perennials on eBay)'

Happy Holler Gardens (1001 Flower Bulbs & Perennials on eBay)

186 Brewer Hollow Drive
Rutherfordton, North Carolina 28139 (United States)

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Editor's Comment:
Closed As of March 2009, per a note from the owners, they have closed this business. They have begun an eBay store as "1001 Flower Bulbs & Perennials" (eBay seller name is "flowerbulbsandperennials")

No positives

Comments:

Negative iknowit
Wellington, AL
November 18, 2009
I actually know these people i google earthed them and i know the one they call pixie and her a daughter fled to wisconsin. Good luck getting your money back because they always move around to avoid trouble.
Negative Buttercup13
Calgary
Canada
June 10, 2009
Wow, another crook selling on the internet. I'm very weary of all of these people ripping me off. I bought what I thought would be some really amazing hibiscus from them back in early April when they didn't have any negatives in their feedback. I spent about $140 with the exchange. Pixie Dmailed me and said my plants would be shipped in May. Never received anything, and they never contacted me to say there was a problem. 2 days ago I found about all of this business and of course it's too late for Paypal. Email not returned from the company. Paypal has been an extreme disappointment to me for these kinds of rip-off situations, and again, it's been over 45 days. As I am in Canada, I don't know if I am able to complain with your sherriff depts, or BBB, or whatever. Please let me know if anybody knows what people from other countries can do! I'm going to phone Paypal tomorrow, and I hope everybody else calls them also so maybe we can get our money back. Apparently they had a short run on eBay but are now not selling anything. I got sucked in and trusted them because they were on Dave's as well. They ruin everything for others. They must have taken tens of thousands off people. Surprised they haven't left home over all this business. Very disappointing.
On June 23rd, 2009, Buttercup13 added the following:

I spoke with Paypal who do not have anything from the company requesting that everyone get refunds. Paypal isn't interested in whether any of us got our plants or not if it's over 45 days - they still won't refund. So much for the warm fuzzy guarantee they offer.
Negative fina194
Gilroy, CA
June 9, 2009
I ordered some dinner plate flowers and they told me they would ship out when weather permits. Well they said they will refund me and I am still waiting.
As I read more they are theifs and should be arrested.
Negative lily54
Nicholasville, KY
June 7, 2009
Ordered March 21, 2009 bulbs for $27.51. I got the same run around eveyone else did. Didn't get merchandise, didn't get returned e-mails, didn't get money refunded. I contacted Pay-Pal after reading on Dave's Garden. Too sad for me I was about a week late with the 45 day thing. Talked with a nice gentleman who recommended that I go on here and ask everyone who paid with Pay-Pal and got taken to notify them regardkess of the amount of time and maybe there would be enough of us that they could/would reopen the claim and possibly get our money refunded. Notified the BBB-nothing from then yet. Now I will notify my bank to see if they can do anything. Economy too bad to give away money. Please call Pay-Pal!. What a dud of a company-Happy Holler. I guess they are Happy!
On June 10th, 2009, lily54 added the following:

Recieved notification from BBB that they got no response from Happy Holler.
Negative grannymarsh
Marquette, MI (Zone 5a)
June 4, 2009
I was also scammed by this company. I filed a complaint with their local Better Business Bureau and received no reply from the so-called company, nor did the the BB.
I did contact my credit card company and will receive credit from them. So, even tho I will not receive the products that I ordered in good faith, at least the $$ is not lost.
Go down to SC and file a complaint ?, get a grip. I wonder if doing business on the internet; is inter-state commerce... That would make it a federal crime.
Negative DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL (Zone 10a)
June 4, 2009
After reading the previous feedback I feel lucky that these people only stole $25 from me.

I ordered an Alocasia in Jan 2009, gave them my money and have never heard from them again.

I find it noteworthy that they can't fill the orders they have been paid for, but, have enough plant stock to start a new storefront on EBay. I will have to file a complaint with EBay about them.

Dale
Negative KarenPhanco
Canton, GA
May 19, 2009
Well, I guess you can add me to the growing list of people being cheated by this company. I am out $106.00 unless my complaint with Pay Pal pays off. I took the advice from the others in this group of negative experiences.
Negative nymegen
Auburn, NH (Zone 5a)
May 18, 2009
I was thinking ,where are those Cannas? ,they should be ready to ship to zone 5.Holy smokes ,I did not keep an eye on the negative comments from fellow gardeners,checked all the contact info and as forecasted no results.Out $40.25.Paid on 2/28/09 We should add up all the these losses and see what the known total is so far.
On May 19th, 2009, nymegen added the following:

I just got a new number to contact the sheriffs department,828-286-2911,I am waiting to be contacted .
On May 27th, 2009, nymegen added the following:

Has anyone heard from the sheriffs office?
On May 28th, 2009, nymegen added the following:

When you add up up all the known missing merchandise on this side alone I come up to about $925.
On June 28th, 2009, nymegen added the following:

Guess what?Received a call from the sheriffs department yesterday .For all those who D mailed me ,please get in touch with me .THX
On July 13th, 2009, nymegen added the following:

Received a refund check today
Negative MimiNC
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
May 18, 2009
I too am out $40 from Happy Holler Gardens. I had ordered with the idea of doing business with a local company...

Paypal closed my case because of the timing - I pre-ordered bulbs back in February.

I filed with the Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org The BBB of Southern Piedmont in Charlotte, NC will handle the case. Their e-mail is info@charlotte.bbb.org and phone is (704) 927-8611. If you go to BBB online, you can easily file a case - when you're prompted for the company name, use "Happy Holler" and the BBB online search will find the company and prefill info.

Good luck to everyone!
Negative patnjbob
Blossom, TX
May 16, 2009
Okay everyone. Get on a calling spree to the sheriff's dept with this county in NC. You may even be able to file a theft report. Once everyone starts to phone the sheriff's dept, then maybe you can get some relief. On eBay, they have 160 negatives as of this date. All recent negatives. I bought bulbs from them several weeks back. I did get some bulbs, but doubt seriously they will bloom correctly. Something is wrong with the entire picture so get busy and call the sheriff and ask to file a theft report.
Negative Jumpin4Joy
Orangeburg, SC
May 14, 2009
I was ripped off for 61.00. These people are deplorable. I got nothing. I have emailed them with no response! Big Suprise. Please contact me personally if you know where I can file a complaint. this really burns me up. I work to hard for people like this to take it away. They make me SICK!!! Paypal did nothing....
On May 18th, 2009, Jumpin4Joy added the following:

you can call the Rutherfordton sheriff dept at 828-287-6247 and file the complaint their names are Pixie and Curtis Radegue I just called and I am waiting on a call back from the deputy...
Negative CaptainFreedom1
Pittsburgh, PA
May 14, 2009
I, too, was bamboozled out of $70.00. I registered a complaint with the BBB. Shame on Paypal for not supporting those people who paid in early spring; they won't pursue a dispute after 45 days from purchase, which is silliness, especially when you are talking about bulbs.

Funny, Paypal still has them listed as a verified member.

I'm just as disappointed with Paypal as I am with lameduck Happy Holler Gardens.

Did you notice that they have taken their website down? I can't access it anymore. We really should collaborate and try to get our money back.
On May 16th, 2009, CaptainFreedom1 added the following:

Rutherfordton Police station phone number is 828 287 5062.
On May 18th, 2009, CaptainFreedom1 added the following:

Folks, don't call the police as it is out of their jurisdiction. Call the County Sheriff's dept. at 828 287 6247. I just called and an officer is supposed to return my call.

The BBB contacted HHG and have not heard anything from them, so they can't really do anything about the fraud, and will close the case. We have a better chance with the Sheriff department. I'll keep you posted on the status of my complaint. Good luck!
On May 18th, 2009, CaptainFreedom1 added the following:

Folks, a deputy is driving out to Happy Holler Gardens to see what he can find out. Finally, someone is trying to help us!
On May 18th, 2009, CaptainFreedom1 added the following:

I just got message back from a Rutherfordton Deputy; he went out to Happy Holler Gardens; he says it looks like a legit business, lot of flowers, bulbs etc. He talked to Pixie, and Pixie told him that Paypal was suppose to refund everyone's money.

He didn't know what else to say, and said I could call him if I had any questions. So, what now. Do we all call Paypal? I think everyone who is out money should call the sheriff, and then the Sheriff could put pressure on the company to call paypal and authorize the refunds, yes??
On May 18th, 2009, CaptainFreedom1 added the following:

I called Paypal and they say they have not received authorization from HHG to refund payments, so I called the Deputy back and he said he saw the contract between Paypal and HHG and the authorization for refunds. So I just emailed Paypal. Someone else can pick up the torch. I'm exhausted.
On May 29th, 2009, CaptainFreedom1 added the following:

So, what's Next?? Perhaps we should all pursue our complaint with the NC Attorney General?? I don't think we should give up, otherwise, these people will do it again.
On June 9th, 2009, CaptainFreedom1 added the following:

I filed a complaint with the NC Attorney General; I would encourage others to do likewise.
Negative stplong
Huber Heights , OH (Zone 5b)
May 13, 2009
We are added to the list of suckers also, we are out 61.00, we ordered 2 Hibiscus in Feb, after looking at the pictures on HHG site and Hidden Valley Hibiscus site they are the same pictures, so I contacted Charles and Cindy Black and asked if they supplied HHG with hibiscus, Cindy told me no that they are new releases and that there was no way that they could be selling them yet. Cindy also told me that she tried to have them remove their pictures from their website, without success. I contacted the NC Attorney general, and the BBB and filed complaints, 2 nights ago my wife contacted the "GoDaddy" web (that icon that shows that is was a secure site) to be on and complained that they were ripping people off. So everyone needs to file complaints against them so they are forced to pay for what they have stolen from alot of people. The more people that files a complaint the better case the AG will have against them.

Patrick
On May 17th, 2009, stplong added the following:

I just called the Rutherfordton local police and they said that you need to file a complaint with your local police department,
On May 18th, 2009, stplong added the following:

I just called the sheriffs dept and I am waiting on a call back from them. I will post what I find out as soon as I get the call back

Patrick
On May 18th, 2009, stplong added the following:

Just got thru talking to the sheriff dept. he said that they showed him documents that they are refunding money and that they have an attorney. We told them that they can dr. up documents, and that paypal doesn't have to refund anything over 45 days, that we couldn't file a complaint because they don't have to refund anything over 45 days. We also told them that what we ordered, that there was no way they could be selling yet since HVH just released them this year. I also fowarded the email the Cindy Black sent me saying that she tried to get them to remove her hibicus from their website with no luck..

Everyone needs to call and file a complaint, to put the pressure on these people.
On May 18th, 2009, stplong added the following:

He also said that he is going back out there tomorrow, he is investigating it more tonight before he drives out there again.

So call in your complaints so he has more to go on
On June 29th, 2009, stplong added the following:

We just received a letter from the ATT Gen office from Susan Davis " the consumer protection specialist" we also received a letter that Curtis sent to her explaining why they never sent out product.
Here it is
"Dear Ms. Davis, We discontinued our sales of flower bulbs on the internet through our website http://www.happyhollegarden.com and on Ebay due to many problems that we experienced with Paypal and Ebay. After we shipped over one hundred orders, there were many people who filed claimes with Paypal requesting refunds even after they received their products. Paypal immediately took the funds from our account to cover those refunds, without giving us an opportunity to disagree. By doing this, we had paid for the products we purchased from the suppliers we had paid for the products we purchased from the suppliers we buyfrom, plus the cost of shipping, as well as the high fees we were paying for our website and Ebay. This meant that we were sending out orders at our cost. The customers did not have to return the products to us, according to Paypal One reund request was so ridiculous, that the buyer claimes she wanted a refund because upon receiptof her order, there was dirt in the box. When we shipped orders, the flower bulbs were placed into bulb bags that had air holes in them, to allow venting and prevent the bulbs from drying out during shipment. We shipped through the US post office via Priority Mail, which is a 2 to 3 day delivery service. We also had customers requesting refunds prior to the date that their shipment was to be sent. In the Terms and Conditions part of our website, it was clearly stated that refunds would not be issued after 72 hours of placing the order, since the buyer was ordering the products at substantial discounts. However, Paypal still approved the refunds. We decided to stop sending out orders at our expense and to refund those who had not received their orders or refunds yet. We do not have a comlete list of those who are due refunds, but are completely willing to issue full refunds to those who have not yet received them. Our business was never intended to cheat people out of their money, but rather to offer high quality flower bulba at lower prices than the larger companies charge. We had good intentions, but due to our inexperience with how the internet business system works, we failed. We have over 3000 flower bulbs, that we ordered from our suppliers to fill those internet orders, planted in our gardens and are now selling them only to local buyers. The customers who buy from us now are very pleased with the quality and prices, as is evident in the many customers who return to buy more. We offer our deepest and sincere apologies to those who ordered and did not receive thir products.

A full and complete refund will be issuded no later than June 19th to Patrick Long in the amount of $61.00.

Very truly yours,

Curtis J. Raduege, Happy Holler Enterprises

Well as of today June 29th ten days after a full refund was promised, No refund has been received.

So Now I have more calling to do.
Negative YOROONIE
South Bend, IN
May 13, 2009
I am added to the pile of suckers. We are out $41. We will pursue with the North Caralina attorney general and the BBB. I will be watching the reviews to see how far this goes. These are the kind of people that give internet buying a bad name.
On May 20th, 2009, YOROONIE added the following:

Well I just got off the phone with the Rutherfordton shefiff dept. and they told me if I wasn't willing to show up in court for the complaint then there wasn't much more they could do. For $41, I don't think so. Buyers beware, I will never order again from anyone that doesn't offer a catalog. So Pixie you can KMA.
On June 11th, 2009, YOROONIE added the following:

I filed a complaint online with the NC attorney general several weeks ago. I just received a copy of the letter that the AG sent to HHG. They were instructed to reply to the AG within 10 days in regards to my complaint. Maybe if enough people files complaints with the AG something will happen. By the list of negative remarks, these low life scum bags have made a good deal of cash by ripping off trusting people.
Negative grannyh
Monroe City, MO (Zone 5b)
May 13, 2009
Count me in on the loser's club with this cheating, swindling, dishonest and forever condemned company. I lost $16.00 on some Canna I ordered in February in good faith. This will teach me to stay with Horn Cannas....hard lesson learned.

Is it too harsh to hope that these people have nightmares for the rest of their lives?! Shame on you!!!
Negative Gardeninmum
Columbia, MD
May 13, 2009
In ordered in January.I never received my Dahlia tubers in April. I emailed and called-No response and a fast busy signal. I am out $42.00!
On May 14th, 2009, Gardeninmum added the following:

I did a whitepages.com reverse address lookup with the Happy Holler address and I found a phone number listed to a Curtis Raduege. I recall his name associated wth Happy Holler. Here is the phone number listed, (828) 287 4316. I think we should all call him and ask him where our bulbs are.
On May 14th, 2009, Gardeninmum added the following:

Yes the number Iisted above is different from the disconnected number of this guy's Happy Holler business, this is his personal home number.
On May 15th, 2009, Gardeninmum added the following:

I called the residential number for Curtis Raduege and it is also disconnected! Surprised? Nah.......
Negative cbentley
Chicago, IL
May 12, 2009
how not fun to be a part of this select group. I checked their site a couple of days ago and the phone # had been removed, now the site is no longer even active. I am assuming they have taken all the money and gotten out of town. I'm down 60.00 as well. I wonder how much they ended up taking before everyone finally figured it out. I made my purchase in April, and only found this site two weeks ago, much to my horror the note saying they closed in March. I can't believe paypal continued to accept money on a business that wasn't even in business. I can't believe how angry I am!!! I wonder if we could all file a lawsuit with the sheriff in Rutherfordton? I mapquested the address and it looks like its at the end of a dirt road off the highway. It just proves that any common criminal can work up a legitimate looking website and start raking in the cash. And if you are reading this Curtis and Pixie Raduege, if you were ever legit, you are now officially SWINDLERS AND THIEVES.
On May 19th, 2009, cbentley added the following:

called the Sheriff out in Rutherfordton. Very nice guy, said he would drive out there and find out what's going on. He said he will call me back. Told him about the paypal issue with not buying on ebay. Called paypal as well and they basically said I'm screwed if Happy Holler doesn't make good on the purchase or return the money. I let the Sherriff know that Happy Holler's website is down and their phone is disconnected. Asked him to let them know that I just want the product I ordered. Here's hoping for the best. What a mess. I would encourage everyone to call the Sheriff's office in Rutherfordton, they seem very nice and have been very helpful.
Negative Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ (Zone 9a)
May 12, 2009
I join in with everyone else on being taken. I lost $15.00. I did receive part of an order which is better than some of the other folks here received.
Negative LMSfromTX
Copperas Cove, TX
May 12, 2009
Well finally I have to admit that I too was taken for a fool and 137.00 Dollars. Ordered Hibiscus' for myself and Birthday gifts for my friend. I was going for their shipping zone thing. then I waited. Then I wrote them 3 mails. NO answers.

so...here I am. Bitter. That there are such dishonest people out there. And STILL ARE!!

My goal is to ruin them and worn everyone everywhere that they are crooks. I would hate for anybody else to loose faith in sellers and their hard earned money.

Lucy
Negative Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ
May 10, 2009
Well, count me in with everyone else that was taken by this company. If I buy from E-bay I only buy from established long time sellers with high satisfaction. I was naive enough to think that since they were part of Dave's community they were a decent company. They're not. I ordered March 8th. I have communicated via D-mail since then. 1st the answer was they ship by zone. Well when I ordered it had been in the 90's here. Then they hadn't received their shipment. Then the shipment was late...yada yada yada yada. I lost $15 bucks. I don't take being conned lightly. Apparently after reading all these negative remarks there never were any plants. It was a con job from the get go. All I can say is Karma...it will get you................
On May 19th, 2009, Fish_knees added the following:

Thanks to miminc posting about the BBB I too have filed a complaint. I hope everyone does.
On June 17th, 2009, Fish_knees added the following:

I recieved a e-mail from the BBB that HHG never responded....scum bags
On July 31st, 2009, Fish_knees added the following:

Article from the BBB
Negative daylily970
Coshocton, OH (Zone 6a)
May 8, 2009
Placed an order on march 1, and paid thru paypal. Have not received my order or a refund. Not answering my e-mails. I filed a complaint with the BBB.I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but DO NOT order from this company.You will be throwing away your money.
Negative DeeS
Ladoga, IN (Zone 6a)
May 8, 2009
Placed an order on January 31, and paid immediately thru paypal. Have not received my order or a refund. Not answering my e-mails. I filed a complaint with the BBB.I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but DO NOT order from this company.You will be throwing away your money.
Negative jimmy2
live oak, TX (Zone 9a)
May 4, 2009
on jan i email this comp if they had a certain item in stock,they said yes,will send out as soon of supplier got shippment,they never got shipment,email after email,nothing,4mon later said,we will refund yur money,in the mail, over 2weeks still nothing, bad business,should never lie to consumer, keeping yur word,and trust for consumer is impossible never buy,order from this company agian, waisted 18.00 dollars
Negative Tex68
Long Branch, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 4, 2009
Despite contrary reports, their website (Happy Holler) is NOT closed and remains operational and still accepts orders. So buyers beware! BUT, their eBay store (1001 Flower Bulbs & Perennials) now got ZERO items for sale. Probably eBay took their items off for sale or got penalized because their ratings are dropping faster than the waters falling off the Niagara Falls within the last few weeks.

I purchased $40 or so worth of canna and lily bulbs April 17th on eBay and they had as close to, if not, a 100% positive rating. Back then I didn't know they were the same people as Happy Holler Gardens until I discovered Dave's Garden. As what I said, the last few weeks they just got bombarded with negative feedback. Mostly about products not received. From almost 100% positive, then down to 90%, and I just checked, now they're down to 88%.

I have not received my bulbs yet, but for now I remain neutral because stupid me did not read the 'fine and very light gray print' that says shipping will take 17-18 business days USPS Priority Mail (that usually only takes 3 max days). Also in their eBay policy they said PayPal holds their money for 21 days before they get it and they require to have the money to ship the items. Why punish your customers for a long shipping time? That is just bad business.

In their Happy Holler website they claim to grow their own products, yet in their eBay store they admitted to have the same supplier as Brecks and American Meadows or something. How come that was never mentioned in their Happy Holler website. Also I'm suspecting they don't have the products on inventory and they just try to get as many orders and then buy them in bulk from their supplier. In their own words:
"Also, please understand that when a buyer orders one of an item, we have to purchase an entire case and pay shipping costs to the supplier."
So why offer a product(s) for sale when you don't have them. And if their supplier is out of stock they just keep their customers in the dark. Poor communications. I think these people were getting too ambitious with no idea on how to run a business. Started out as a flea market business and trying to make it big out there in the mail-order or eBay business. Yet not realizing, customers trust is what makes a business grow.

I'll give them another week, and after that I might as well just file dispute with PayPal as what everybody else is doing. I lost my job for a few months now, and whatever little money I have exta, I spent it on gardening to keep me both physically and mentally busy. So here's hoping they will send me my bulbs.

On May 10th, 2009, Tex68 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Now I change my rating to negative. I have not receive my products nor was there any communications from them. I already filed a claim with PayPal. Now, their eBay store is CLOSED, their rating jump down to 74% with 126 (and counting) negative feed back just for the last month.
On May 19th, 2009, Tex68 added the following:

PayPal just credited my account today, so that is good news for me.
I also noticed that these people are NO LONGER REGISTERED in Ebay (probably suspended).
Negative mooey50
Mackville, KY
May 3, 2009
I just filed a claim with PayPal for an order not received from this company. Wish I had checked them out here first! Hopefully PayPal will come thru they have always been very helpful in the past.
Negative ilseschuhe
Saint Louis, MO
May 2, 2009
Anyone who has never received their item or refund, go online to better business bureau and file a complaint. The better business bureau sent my complaint to happy holler gardens and then I was refunded by them. Do not let them take your money and give up on trying to get your money back. Again, file an online complaint through Better Business Bureau!
On June 12th, 2009, ilseschuhe added the following:

Expect these thieves to come back again next year, but under a new name. I think I first found them online in February or March. I'll be looking for them next year, but not exactly sure what it is we can do?
Negative flowerfantasy
Washington, IN (Zone 6a)
April 30, 2009
Never recieved the orders I had placed with this company and sent several emails to them asking when items would be shipped and they said items shipped when weather permitted. Weather permitting came along and still no shipping. Sent another email and next thing I know got refund on one order and so emailed them if I would get the other order and then comes a refund for it. email saying they didn't get their bulbs in when they were expected. I was surprised that I even got my money back after 4 months of waiting. I know that I will never try buying from these people again.
Negative declfi
Fenton, MO (Zone 6b)
April 30, 2009
Avoid this seller like the plague . Sent them $35 and never received
any product or answer to emails. Nor do i hope to receive a refund since paypal only goes back 45 days.
On May 10th, 2009, declfi added the following:

These people should be in jail. Out right theft!!!!
Negative daylilydaddy
morehead, KY (Zone 6a)
April 29, 2009
I placed my order with this "business" and was told they would ship as soon as the weather allowed. Then after 12 dmails. They don't seem to remember me ordering. They asked for me to send paypal info to their regular email not daves garden. Which I did. Still no email backs. I told them I would start a dispute with paypal, which I forgot you can't do after 45 days(I think that is what they do to hook you) Still no plants or promised refund. BEWARE! and make sure you know their ebay ID. I am still planning to work with ebay and others to stop them from scamming customers. They have already started their scam on ebay, which you can see for yourself.
Negative jomoncon
New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a)
April 26, 2009
I have to agree with mbabbitt. I placed an order on Jan. 13, totaling $23.60. I've emailed them several times for the past week or so with no response. Since the order was placed more than 45 days ago, paypal will not allow a dispute. My next step will be to contact Discover Card to dispute the charge. And contacting the attorney general in North Carolina.

Their website still appears to be operational & accepting orders.

These company has just taken my money. I really don't expect to get it back from them. Maybe my credit card company can help.
On April 27th, 2009, jomoncon added the following:

Today I called paypal and spoke with a very nice gentleman. I explained the problem to him & he credited my account for the amount I paid Happy Holler. I'm so glad I was able to get my money back. Paypal has wonderful customer service!!
Negative mbabbitt
Bothell, WA
April 24, 2009
Right now, I don't know what to think of this vendor. I paid via Paypal around $20.00 in February for 4 dahlias. I have no clue if they are in the process of sending these to me as their advertised shipping date has now passed. I suspect I may be at a loss here. But I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

I give them a negative for two reasons: They should close down their website or at least put a note up on the front page that they are not in business as that company any more. That would be the right thing to do. No legitimate argument can be made otherwise.

Secondly, they should send a mass emailing out with the basic information about their business change to those who have outstanding transactions needing completion -- and state how they will be honoring past sales -- or how to claim a refund. Again no legitimate argument can be made to not refund payments made if they do not intend to honor their previous commitments.

Neutral sillybug5
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
April 8, 2009
This company should be BANNED from EBAY and I intend to notify EBAY of their business practices...dishonesty. I placed an order thru Dave's Garden, fortunately, a small one, emailed them about it and never heard from them again. The attorney general will be notified of their new name on EBAY and an investigation initiated.
On April 8th, 2009, sandnsea2 added the following:

I just received an email response from them stating that it is too cold to ship right now. Well, I have been receiving plants, dahlias, bulbs of all sorts from other companies since last month with no problem, so what is their problem?
On April 8th, 2009, sandnsea2 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

To their credit, they have now refunded my paypal account for the purchase price. But when a company goes out of business and they have open, unfulfilled, paid orders, good business practices dictate that they inform those customers and make assurances that the orders will be filled in a timely manner.
Negative 3gardeners
Mableton, GA (Zone 7a)
March 30, 2009
I've written them and paypal too many times for me to go into too much detail, but in a nutshell here it is. They don't know how to run a business and in the end just keep the money without sending what they own you. What is the word for that...
I ordered amaryllis bulbs on Jan 4th. They never said there would be a delay. After 3 weeks of waiting and no contact, I got a responce email which resulted in 12-18 inch long, blooming amaryllis. This was only part of the order. I was promised the rest in a week. No amaryllis, no contact... for weeks. I kept emailing and then got another promise of "in a few days". No amaryllis. It was always a "supplyer problem" or "it's too cold to send them". Then why did you sell them and collect the money on 1/4/09!?! Don't you know you're own weather and if you can ship your product or not? Or if you even have it?! I kept trying to be understanding and nice because she seemed like she was new to this and I didn't want her to lose her shirt in a new business. Now I think I was being taken for a ride. I finally asked for the balance refunded to my paypal account. I was sent an email saying that it would be refunded the next day and again something about the cold weather. Guess what... no refund. And it was just $24. I guess their reputation wasn't worth that much to them because she knows I'm a member of davesgarden.
Negative bluespanishlady
Rochester, MN
March 24, 2009
After being unable to contact Happy Holler Gardens about orders made and paid for in Feb. I filed a dispute with paypal hoping they would finally respond. (ATT: buyers: Happy Holler' telephone number and email address listed on paypal are no longer in service.)

After being contacted by paypal Happy Holler responded to me by cancelling my orders and saying "since I made a false statement against them I don't deserve their dsicount prices"

This was/is juvenile behavior and not befitting a legitmate business. I spent almost $150.00 on merchandise and was truly concerned when I couldnt get commuication with them. To sum: this business is not dependable and isnt run like a business. "Customer support " is petty and retaliatory. Its like doing business with people still in junior highschool.
On March 28th, 2009, bluespanishlady added the following:

Just as another buyer reported I am now also having a problem getting back my refund money. Paypal has notified me that Happy Holler's bank has declined paying out the refunds and Paypal will have to resubmit the refund requests on my behalf. Not a confidence builder for this gardener/buyer.

Sadly, it seems to me, that the owners of Happy Holler should have taken a few more classes in Business 101 before opening to the general public.

They might know how to grow plants at Happy Holler Gardens but for a legitimate business they are sorely lacking :they have inexcusably bad access for communication, nonexistent customer support, and unreliable financial practices. As a consumer, I dont like being left holding an empty bag!
On April 1st, 2009, bluespanishlady added the following:

If you have been ripped off by these people you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau where they live in North Carolina.

Contrary to what they told the editors of Daves Garden, Happy Holler Gardens still is doing business on its website. Therefore it can be reasonably assumed that they are still taking orders and peoples money.

I am still waiting for my refunds and today received a very very personally nasty email from the owners of Happy Holler Gardens. This nasty email was the final straw that prompted me to notify the BBB.
Company representative comment on March 24, 2009:
On Mar 24, 2009 2:28 PM, Happy Holler Gardens responded with:

This customer emailed us over the last weekend and asked when her order would ship. I advised her to please visit our website, where it is clearly shown under our Helpful Information category on when we ship to each Zone. Yesterday, I got notice that she filed a non-receipt claim with Paypal, and in her note to Paypal, she stated that she had emailed us and we had not responded. We did have our phone number changed for several reasons, one being that people were calling all hours of the night and another because we are only 2 people and can't handle the multitude of calls we've been receiving. We've made notes on our website in several places that we are providing customer service through email responses, and we do answer our mail within 48 hours. I did cancel both of her orders because she did lie to Paypal when she told them that we had not responded to her. We are not a big business, just a small family operation that believes in treating people fairly. It is our belief that when a customer makes a false statement knowingly, they do not deserve to receive the high quality products that we sell at discounted prices. I don't consider that juvenile or retaliatory behavior. She lives in a cold Zone, so it's not even time to plant there yet. Had she taken the time to read the USDA Zone Map and When We Ship To Each Zone, she would have known when she placed her order when to expect her shipment to arrive.

Neutral congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY
March 8, 2009
I think this is the first negative I have had to post for a vendor thus far. I ordered amaryllis bulbs back in Dec, and when they came in Feb (I was not concerned about them coming late--Jan was very cold and I was actually happy that they delayed shipping them), most of what I ordered were not available due to "sprouting". So they enclosed a few extra bulbs of some other more common varieties and also indicated they were sending a refund check as well--and I was quite satisfied at that point. However, their refund check bounced (I never had that happen before from a business!), and I have not had a response yet to an email I sent them a week ago. I see another customer here has had a similar experience, I wonder how many more have gone through this?
On April 1st, 2009, congminglaoshi added the following:

Well, to date I haven't seen any refund check, and now they are "closed". How convenient. I also understand they are now selling on ebay-buyer beware!
On April 6th, 2009, congminglaoshi changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I will change my rating to neutral since a refund finally came via paypal. So far so good, will update if it turns out otherwise.
Company representative comment on March 14, 2009:
On Mar 14, 2009 3:00 AM, Happy Holler Gardens responded with:

It's difficult to explain what happened, but simply put, Paypal transferred funds to our account that our bank considered "Pending Deposits" and they took a long time to post them, which resulted in many refused items, that our bank charged us $35.00 for each of those several times, even though the money was there. We have changed banks today, and purchased certified cashier checks for those refunds that were outstanding and they are on their way to the recipients. We sincerely apologize for the delay and all of the frustration that went with it. We are a very small business, so all of our money is tied up in inventory this time of year to fill orders. Thank you for your understanding.
Happy Holler Gardens

Negative gizzosabme
Sabattus, ME
February 10, 2009
Back in the middle of December,2008 I ordered 3 xxlarge amarylis bulbs hoping to get them for the holidays. I never got them, their supplier said it was too cold and they cancelled the order and would send a refund check. The refund check bounced because a large vendor order had depleted their account, (why send a check if you don't have the funds in the bank??) On the 2nd of Feb., Pixie was supposed to go to the Post Office to get a Money Order to send me and of today, Feb. 9, I still have not received the M.O. O well, maybe someday. If this transaction should turn positive, I will surely post it. Hopefully, those of you with refunds, lots of luck!
Paul
On February 10th, 2009, gizzosabme changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I have received an e-mail from Pixie today. She is refunding my order through Paypal and this has been verified by Paypal. Also, she is giving me $75.00 worth of bulbs free from this Spring's items. Pixie has been suffering with an ear infection and she will have surgery Thursday. Best of luck to you Pixie. Times are tough for her at the moment in Happy Holler.
On February 26th, 2009, gizzosabme changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I now have to change my rating to back to negative. Paypal has notified me twice that Happy Holler has failed to make the $65.00 that I am owed available. I really think that Curtis and Pixie are giving me the royal run around and this time the rating will stand as is until everything is settled!
On March 31st, 2009, gizzosabme added the following:

IT IS NOT SURPRISING THAT HAPPY HOLLER HAS CLOSED THEIR BUSINESS. HAVING BEEN OWED $65.00 FOR GOODS THAT WERE NEVER SHIPPED SINCE LAST DECEMBER CONVINCES ME WHAT I LONG SUSPECTED AGO THAT CURTIS AND PIXIE RADUEGE ARE LIARS AND THIEVES. I WONDER HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE WERE TAKEN BY THEM.
*** DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE CLOWNS!!!***
On April 14th, 2009, gizzosabme added the following:

ON MARCH 31st WHILE I WAS ADDING MY LAST COMMENT, HAPPY HOLLER WAS PAYING ME THE $65.00 THEY OWED ME THROUGH PAYPAL AND FINANCIALLY I AM CLEAR WITH THEM, THANK YOU, PIXIE/CURTIS.
ALL THAT REMAINS NOW IS THE FREE $75.00 WORTH OF BULBS THAT I WAS PROMISED FROM THIS SPRING'S ITEMS. THEY SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM SHIPPING AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR. LAST WEEK I RECEIVED 2 ANGELS TRUMPETS FROM A COMPANY IN MILTON FLORIDA VIA USPS. SO PIXIE/CURTIX @ HAPPY HOLLER YOUR ALMOST THERE TO COMING CLEAN AFTER MAKING ME WAIT SINCE DECEMBER 18th, 2008. HOW MUCH LONGER BEFORE THE FREE BULBS YOU PROMISED ME??
PAUL

Negative goofybulb
El Paso, TX (Zone 8a)
February 9, 2009
My first order with Happy Holler was a very pleasant experience. Very nice communication along processing, and even if my order got delayed a bit because of the weather, and then because I was out of town (yes, Pixie took notice of my request), once shipped it arrived fast, nicely packed and everything looked beautiful! Nice big plump bulbs, each of them much bigger than I expected, plus a bonus! And I always love it when a personal touch is added, even for a small order as mine!
I cannot wait for the spring shipping season, I have a Calla with my name written on it! I'm sure it will be as beautiful as these Amaryllis bulbs!

I will definitely keep Happy Holler in my favorites! Thank you, Pixie!
Alexandra
On April 27th, 2009, goofybulb changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I feel bad to change my rating, but I still did not receive my one calla lily bulb. I emailed (Apr 23rd) and D-mailed (Apr 24th) Pixie , and I do not have any answer as of today.

I didn't even know until Friday (Apr 24th) that the Happy Holler company/site is not active anymore. Regarding company closure, I would have expected that they took care of all the unfinished businesses for which they were paid, especially since they continue to sell plants on their Ebay store.

My leftover order is only one bulb, totaling less than $5, but it still hurts me. My previous rating was given wholeheartedly, and right now my disappointment is much bigger than the financial loss. It's about trust, and this company, either with an independent site, or through Ebay, lost mine.

I will wait one more week, and if I get no answer, I'll think of changing my review again, this time to negative. The only thing that's stopping me to do that drastic change right now is that I had a bonus Amaryllis bulb that was beautiful. However, I already had an 'Apple Blossom', and I still have no Flame Calla.
On May 8th, 2009, goofybulb changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

5 attempts to contact HH by email, and several phone calls (rung busy at all times). Do not order. Extreme disappointment... Pixie, I guess you really got rich from 4.05$.
Negative lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b)
February 6, 2009
I placed an order with this company on Jan. 18 for some Amaryllis bulbs that were on sale. Since I'm in zone 5, I knew this was risky. They were very good about holding my bulbs until there was a break in the weather and they arrived on Feb. 6 looking wonderful. All the bulbs were very healthy looking and the Queen of Sheba was one of the largest Amaryllis bulbs I have ever seen. They did refund my payment for one bulb because it was already growing and I asked that they not send ones with more than a little of the stem showing. A nice bonus bulb was also included. I have already placed an order for some lily bulbs to arrive in the Spring. Prices are very reasonable and I will be ordering from them again.
On May 8th, 2009, lincolnitess changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

After having a positive experience with my first order from this company, I placed another order Jan 29. Since that time I have tried repeatedly to communicate with these people and get no response. My bulbs should have beeen shipped late April and are not here and no indication has been given that I will ever get them. These people were selling the same bulbs I ordered to other poeple on eBay under the name 1001 Flower Bulbs & Perennials. They are still taking orders online while many people who have paided them have never received their orders.
Negative DianaT
Mullins, SC (Zone 8a)
January 3, 2009
Absolutely the biggest, most gorgeous amaryllis bulbs I've ever gotten from any vendor -bar none! Thank you so much!
On May 23rd, 2009, DianaT changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Update on these bulbs:

While they were huge and healthy, they both turned out to be misidentified, not what I ordered. I was promised replacements that never arrived. Very disappointed.