The scoop on 'Urban Farmer Seeds LLC'

Urban Farmer Seeds LLC

4105 W SR 32
Westfield, Indiana 46074 (United States)

Phone: 317-600-2807

Company Comment, posted on December 19, 2008:
This is a great eco-friendly company! These use recycled magazines to package all of their seed packages. If you plan to garden and want to be kind to the environment, use them! I love their seeds!

Comments:

Negative ManhattanJewess
Round Top, NY
September 4, 2014
Posted on August 25, 2014, updated September 4, 2014
Posted on August 24, 2014, updated August 25, 2014
I have had numerous problems with the products I purchased from UF Seeds and on every occasion I contact them MANY TIMES. On one occasion they responded when I complained I hadn\\\'t received the seeds and they sent them.

I have never received an email or phone call regarding the problems: Giant red celery is green, Black cherry tomatoes never turn black, Ground cherry tomatoes don\\\'t germinate, Heirloom mix of tomatoes seem to have some wilt and rot disease, Parisian carrots look more like they come from Hoboken than Paris.

It is very frustrating. These guys seem to think customer service isn\\\'t part of their job. I\\\'ve spent over $100 on seeds (potatoes and other seeds) and they treat me as if I don\\\'t exist.
On August 25th, 2014, ManhattanJewess changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

At this moment I\'m changing my rating from negative from negative to neutral with a possibility of positive. Noah got back to me this morning explaining that emails to hi must be addressed to noah@ufseeds.com not info@ufseeds.com. However, I am still waiting for black cherries to become black and red celery to redden. He offered me my money back but I don\'t want the money, it\'s the plant I want. I\'ll be patient and hopefully the plant will show its true colors.
On September 4th, 2014, ManhattanJewess changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I've finally determined from Noah that my Black Cherry Tomatoes are not Black Cherries and it appears that my Red Celery is not that either. This is a problem for someone who likes to sell odd veggies at farmer's markets. I'm sure Noah understands that if he ordered red pepper seeds and they grew green peppers he would be upset as well.

I don't know how this happens without it happening to a bunch of people. Anyway, this significantly screws up my plans for selling fall vegetables.
Positive mhip989
Bloomington, IN
August 23, 2014
I always buy seeds from this company. They only carry Non-GMO seed and it always germinates great for me! Will keep coming back.
Positive ksmithfam321
August 16, 2014
This is a great company and love what they stand for. Seeds were great and sent fast. Will be using them in the future.
Negative dananderica
Minneapolis, MN
April 23, 2014
I ordered some wheatgrass seeds from ufseeds.com. None of the seeds germinated and when I contacted Noah at ufseeds.coom I got absolutely no response, after contacting via phone and email on three seperate occasions. I've filed a complaint with the bbb.org, but I dislike that I have to go that route to get a resolution. This was the first time I did business with ufseeds.com and it will be the last.
Negative grjmmr
Marion, IA
March 11, 2014
Not impressed, I ordered 3 different types of pepper seeds and had a 0% germination rate for all. Plus for the price you can get 3 times the amount of seeds by ordering through Burpee, who I am going through after this.
Neutral Tim Hawley (Silver L
Gainesville, NY
February 3, 2013
I ordered Utah Celery, Hailstone Radish, Cow Horn Okra and Red Pontiac potato seed from Urban Farmer seeds in 2012.

My order shipped very quickly and I received everything I had ordered. I was fairly impressed with their creativity concerning their use of recycled magazines for seed packets.

To be fair, if I had just ordered the Red Pontiac seed potato I would be giving a Positive comment instead of a neutral comment.

However, my Utah celery had a 0% germination rate, both indoor and outdoor. The "Cow Horn Okra" either was impure seed or improperly marked, as the okra that grew from the seed was most definately a "Star of David" type variety; short, fat okra that, when cut into cross-sections clearly looked like a star of david.

I never planted the Hailstone radish seed as I ran out of room. I do plan to try that packet this year as I have almost 2000 sq ft more than last year, Though I do expect a low germination rate since it is old seed.

The Red Pontiac seed grew amazingly. True to variety and huge yields; between 20-25 tubers per plant!!

I ordered the Seedless Sweet Tomato seed hybrid this year (2013) so I will see how that goes but for now all I can give is a neutral rating because I never contacted the company with my concerns.
Positive mdebo11
Boston, MA
December 29, 2011
Very fast shipping. All seeds looked to be fresh and like how they use recycled packets. Also enjoyed there garden catalog they sent me. Last year their seeds grew great and expect the same this year! http://www.ufseeds.com
Negative mrizzo
Smyrna, GA
May 9, 2011
I placed two separate orders from this company for strawberry plants as they were going to go to two different addresses. One was supposed to come with a hanging basket, and the other with a "grow bag". The order with the basket was for my little niece. Somehow, they got the orders confused, and they sent her the grow bag. I didn't get either the bag or the basket. After I contacted them about the mistake, I was told that they would fix it and not to worry because the plants are in hibernation. Well it's been close to four weeks since my order, I finally got my grow bag, but my niece still hasn't gotten her basket. I don't understand how they could have such trouble filling out simple orders.

I thought I would purchase from this company because they looked small and could use the business. However when the strawberry plants came, I noticed that they were from another wholesaler from a different state. This is something that bothers me as well. There was nothing on their website stating this.

I should have done my research and gone with a more reputable company. I could have gotten a far better birthday present for my niece that way.
Negative retired2165
Nappanee, IN
March 27, 2011
I never place a large order without knowing more about the company. On 12/30/2010 I ordered a soil test kit via a promotion for them. When I inquired as to where my item was, I received an email :
Hi Kay,
It seems that we overlooked your order. Last week after filling orders we had an extra soil test kit set out but didn't know where it was suppose to be sent.
There are two options:
1. We have ordered more test kits and should have them in 1-2 weeks. We can ship yours out immediately once we get them back in stock.
or
2. We can send out a check refund today.
I'm very sorry about this, sometimes we make mistakes when fulfilling orders.
Noah Herron
Customer Service
Urban Farmer
1.317.493.1077

Since they would soon be restocked, I opted to wait. After several more emails, they tell me on 3/7 that it was in the mail as of that morning. Needless to say, I never received it! Very disappointed in their performance.
Positive mom2jalunomi
Hollsopple, PA
February 3, 2011
Received the seeds quickly and looking forward to getting them in the ground.
Positive gardentim
September 4, 2010
Excellent company. Quality seeds and great packaging!
Positive emilym
Byron, NE
March 28, 2010
Just got my seeds and everything looks great. Fast shipping and great prices. Excited to get them growing! Thanks
Positive seedyman
March 20, 2010
Great company! Great Seeds. Fast shipping
Neutral tim_manny
Dayton, OH
January 20, 2010
Received my seeds... Fast and Cheap. Got exactly what I wanted. Can't wait to throw them in the ground!

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the policy of the Watchdog that companies may not pose as their own customer in order to leave feedback. This rating was submitted from the same IP address as the representative of this company. It was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the overall rating given by customers.
Neutral Seedsrme
Noblesville, IN
August 13, 2009
I ordered my seeds from Urban Farmer Seeds this spring and they were excellent quality seeds. I had high germination rates and my garden is producing great. A+ recommendation.

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the policy of the Watchdog that companies may not pose as their own customer in order to leave feedback. This rating was submitted from the same email address as the representative of this company. It was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the overall rating given by customers.
Neutral peetv
Beverly Hills, CA
March 11, 2009
Just received my seeds from Urban Farmer Seeds. The packaging was great (eco-friendly recycled magazine packets), the seeds were fresh, an they were filled with alot of seeds. Cheap pricing as well! This is a great company and I encourage everyone to buy their garden and flower seeds from them!

Neutral kin2mice
Columbus, OH
January 13, 2009
I just received an unsolicited email from Urban Farmer that gave an order form and some sort of discount if I ordered before a certain date/ordered using that form. Very odd. I am not quite sure how they got my email (I suspect it was from my recent updating of my National Gardening Club information)Anyway, I think it is a pretty poor way of doing business by spaming folks.

On January 29th, 2009, kin2mice added the following:

I received an email directly from the president of Urban Farmer. Here it is in its full form:
Hi Kin,

I'm the owner of Urban Farmer Seeds and I don't apperciate you writing the comment about my company. We have never once sent a solicited email to anyone. We email only people who have specifically signed up to receive our order form at [HYPERLINK@www.ufseeds.com] (please visit it so it rejogs your memory). THIS IS A FACT! You must have put your email address in our list and you were added to our email order form sent out. I'm sorry if you accidentally signed up but I wish you would have contacted us first before posting your comment. I will remove you from our list if you give me your email.

Thanks,
Noah Herron
Urban Farmer

I emailed them back stating that after receiving their email I dug into the matter further and found that my boyfriend in a fit of "helping me" signed me up for lots of catalogs without my permission or knowledge. I appologized for the mistake and hope that this public appology also helps.
I am still keeping this neutral as I have never used them and have no knowledge of them at all. (I don't belive in commententing postitive if I have never tried them). As far as this matter goes. Since they helped me to resolve a household issue this matter was resolved POSITIVE. Anything else is up to the reader.

Kin2mice
Neutral mdrxoffice
Beverly Hills, CA
January 11, 2009
Great Garden and Flower Seeds. Just received my seeds yesterday and I was very impressed with the quantity and the great eco-friendly packaging! Recommended

Neutral noahnoah
Noblesville, IN
December 29, 2008
Just received my order from Urban Farmer Seed company and the seeds look fresh and in good shape. I have never ordered from them before but will recommend them to anyone. For the price, you get a massive amount of seeds. A++