The scoop on 'Airplants4U'

Airplants4U

Magalia, California 95954 (United States)

Comments:

Negative DrQi
Holly Hill, FL
December 16, 2013
I recently made the mistake of placing an order with this company. I should have searched for reviews for airplants4u.com beforehand, which would have saved me a lot of grief - so buyer beware! Anyway, after receiving a confusing confirmation letter via email a few days after placing my order, I decided to shoot them an email to try and clear somethings up. The response that I received from the company's representative (John) was probably the most rude, irrational and insulting email that I've ever received. As a result I had them refund my money and I would highly recommend that potential shoppers take their hard earned money elsewhere. Very bad store...
Negative tealeaves4me
Farmingville
United States
August 9, 2013
Over the past two years, I have ordered three times from this company.

The first time I ordered, likes others, I accepted their warning of delays in shipping during busy seasons. Still, when three weeks had passed, I emailed the owner and finally my plants arrived.

The quality of the plants was significantly less than that I had received from other vendors. Specifically, leaves were bent to the point of breaking; some were completely broken off. All were much smaller than anticipated. When I emailed the company, I got a response that told me how terrific the company was, and I should 'trim' any broken leaves - not something one anticipates should need be done when purchasing new plants...

Giving the company the benefit of the doubt, I ordered a second time. This time the plants arrived in a more timely fashion, though the quality of the plants received was not first rate.

As this company has the largest variety I have found, I went back for a third time several weeks ago, seeking to expand my collection with some larger specimens, as well as some red varieties to add color.

Again, the plants received did not correspond in quality (or color) to those pictured. I again sent an email explaining, in detail, the problems I had with the individual plants. I asked for an explanation; I thought it might be one variety may have been inadvertently sent instead of the one ordered (a green instead of a red). I thought the damage done to the broken leaves may have occurred during transport. I was seeking information, and hopefully, some form of compensation given I was so unhappy with this third order. I was a returning customer, who had ordered three times, with each order near or above $200. That's not chickenfeed where I come from. (I would have been happy with some sympathetic mumblings.)

In response, I received an abusive email, similar to that already posted by other reviewers. I was told by the owner HIS plants were the best as indicated by all his fabulous reviews. I was told that from the information I included it my email, it was "obvious [I] knew nothing about tillslandsia". I was given some information, I was told the fact that I was unhappy with my order 'was not his problem'. I was advised the owner would engage 'in no further discussion' of this order...

I am not a difficult customer. While not totally satisfied, I still returned three times to order. I have friendly relationships with all the other websites from whom I have ordered. A explanation without the abuse would have been accepted. A small credit toward my next order would have made me ecstatically appreciative. Instead, this owner is defensive, argumentative and just plain rude. Should you have any problems or complaints about your order, expect no satisfaction and more than a bit of unpleasantness.

Don't be fooled by his low prices. They are reflected in the quality of his plants. I no longer have any doubts about the quality of dealing with this vendor. Caveat emptor.
Positive floraAdore
March 25, 2013
I ordered 5 different varieties from AirPlants4u. I got a confirmation email quickly. I didn't read it all & am surprised to hear you cannot contact them (or they advise against it & am sad to hear of ppl's negative feedback w/ rude customer service) BUT, I live in Maine & got the order w/in a week! The plants were all healthy & 1 was about bloom. These plants were small but, they offer small/large of most kinds & I must say their selection is HUGE!
I was so happy, I placed another order about a week ago. I'm hoping I'll receive another good experience! Just registered here at Dave's Garden today.
Negative tanyan
Norfolk, VA
October 23, 2012
Airplants4u - avoid them.
mail exchanges between us below:

Date: Monday, October 22, 2012, 4:00 AM
The invoice on the email still shows a shipping charge of 7.95.

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 10:09 AM
Nowhere on our site do we offer free shipping. The last time free shipping was offered was about 3 years ago. Regards, John

Date: Monday, October 22, 2012, 7:12 AM
Hi John,

I guess the misunderstanding falls under your shipping guidelines where it says orders over $50.00 are shipped free.

I am still interested in placing the order, but I did want to point that out to you.

Best regards,

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 10:48 AM
From your webpage:
Shipping USA
Free shipping for orders of $50 or moreUSA ONLY. We will refund your shipping after you have completed your
purchases. For orders less than $50, shipping is $6.95 for your entire order United States orders only, including
Hawaii and Alaska and territories.

Somehow your computer or search engine has saved or found an obsolete page that has not been on our site for 3+ years. Our current page is on our site http://www.airplants4u.com and the page is http://airplants4u.com/ORDER.html . So as I said, nowhere on our site does it state there is free shipping. See below:

posted what he thought was on his page here

Date: Monday, October 22, 2012, 8:00 AM
John Ė
The link for your shipping/ordering information does say free shipping. I understand that you donít want it to, but it does.

I found your website via a google search, I viewed several different links on your website, and Iíve refreshed the information, and the shipping/ordering information is still the same ďFree with $50. Order)

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 11:15 AM
We are sorry, but you are incorrect. Here is our website homepage: http://airplants4u.com/ > . Click on the shipping and ordering link and you come up with the page that has been there for 3 years. The page you are referring to was published over 3 years ago and was replaced 3 years ago. We are not responsible for google errors. Regards, John

Date: Monday, October 22, 2012, 8:21 AM
I really donít know what to say at this point because the link you are providing on the shipping and ordering option provides the same information that Iíve tried to post to you (as a courtesy so that you could correct the error on your webpage for future customers and no other reason as $7.95 is really nothing to argue about, I was willing to pay it).

Iím not sure why you are arguing with the customer that provided you with valuable information regarding your website and still wanted to place the order, but I guess thatís the customer service that can be expected.

Please cancel the order. I donít need the hassle, and I donít have the time.

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 12:55 PM
Yes, most if not all of our customers use the major navigation links on the pages...not the very minute sitemap. You must have noticed that there was a conflict, yet you tried to get free shipping even though prices were greatly discounted since 3 years ago when we did have a free shipping offer. The savings may be even more than if you would have ordered 3 years ago! Adding $15 to an order in order to receive free shipping does not make sense unless you wanted the plants. As stated on your confirmation email and on our site, orders are cancelled for valid reasons at our discretion. We will take your request into consideration. Air Plants 4U

Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 3:34 AM
Dear John,
Your customer service is shifty at best, and thus far your business etiquette suggests the quality of your service is not reliable.

I understand that you prefer to argue , and I simply do not have the time for it. If you do not refund my money, I will file a complaint with pay pal and I will get my money that way.

The money for this none sale needs to be refunded this morning or I will file the complaint this afternoon.

Best regards,

Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:23 AM
We are sorry, but paypal is not our employer and we will not tolerate threats, ultimatums or abuse by unreasonable buyers. Our record of customer service over the last decade is impeccable and speaks for itself throughout the world so your minority opinion does not hold up. We have placed your request under consideration within our stated policies and attempts to bully with ultimatums and threats will not be effective. Airplants 4U

Abuse will not be tolerated at Airplants 4u and your order is cancelled immediately! .....this is what you get for arguing, abusing, and generally being a dumb east coast B idiot....pity....your loss. Airplants 4U Any further correspondence from you will not be received and we will never do business with you again
Negative Graceleigh
Harrisonburg, VA
June 23, 2012
I ordered airplants from this company as gifts. They were shipped so late that I was out of town by the time they arrived- despite my notifying the company at the time of my order of my needs (still ordered a good 3.5 weeks in advance). The person I corresponded with via email was rude, nasty, and "yelled" at me in all caps for expecting my plants to be shipped in the window that was specified when I placed the order. They had no interedt in rectifying the situation, preferring instead to explain at great lengths why this was my fault. I have never had such a bad customer service experience anywhere, period. I ordered substitute airplants from another woman in Florida who was friendly, kind, and easily shipped my order in time, which included a couple bonus plants (a perk many sellers offer that Airplants4u does not, as another reviewer noted). By comparison, the plants I got from Airplants4u were smaller and less healthy than the plants ordered from the second seller. In fact they were almost all dead when I received them because they were shipped SO late they sat in a cold post office facility for days before I could retrieve them. (Airplants4u insisted the plants were hardy and would be fine despite it being December.) I was blown away by how bad this experience was and would encourage others to skip this business, despite their low prices and tempting offers: it is not worth it!
Neutral SincereDeer
Coos Bay, OR (Zone 9a)
May 23, 2012
My plants were ordered the 1st of May and shipped out on the 17th. They arrived in my post office on the 21st.

Plants are in great condition, no signs of stress from being in a box longer than expected (the company sent them on a Friday so they sat in Denver all weekend without moving).They did replace my Tillandsia ionantha 'Fuego' with a 'Velvet' variety saying they ran out of stock. The Velvet was worth $0.90 more than the Fuego, so I'm very relieved that they didn't take the chance to send me cheaper plants and save themselves the money.

The email they sent appears to be different from the ones described in the negative reviews. It does not directly tell you to avoid contacting them at all costs, just implies that you won't need to.

Overall, it was quite a slow process but it would not have matter so much if I wasn't planning on gifting some at a graduation. They do give you the option of telling them if they're needed for something like that though, so you can feel free to add that. The plants look great, very happy even though a few leaf tips are broken here and there. Will order from again, I can stand the wait.
Negative Amsoniared
Toledo, OH
May 11, 2012
I decided to try this company for the first time. After I placed my online order, I received an automatic respose email containing these words:
"If you just made an order, you will receive your confirmation email shortly. For questions about shipping, please refer to your confirmation email ....it answers almost all questions about shipping. As stated in the confirmation email, order status updates are sent AUTOMATICALLY. If you have not received an order update yet, then your order status has not changed. It is now Spring...we are very busy. You can expect delivery within about 15 - 16 business days after payment. Since status of order updates are sent automatically,we do not read or respond to status of order requests....they are automatically deleted and not read. We will not subject ourselves to annoying, bugging unnecessary emails and they will not speed processing." Seriously?!
Well, first, if I had seen this beforehand, I would have not ordered from them - hey, it's great if you're busy, but that's what "Seasonal Part Time Help" ads are for!
My order came about 3 weeks later, the plants were fine (but honestly, how hard is it to pack Tillandsias?). Every other company I ever ordered from also sent a freebie, like a handful of Spanish Moss or a small common plant. Not this one! Now I know it's picky, they have no responsibility to send anything more than was ordered - still, it would have been good customer service after having to wait so long! I will not order from them again.
Negative judynm
Olive Branch, MS
October 20, 2011
I would not recommend this company to anyone. I ordered a plant cluster and received a confirmation that said they were busy and could not estimate when they would be able to ship or what condition my plant would arive in but that I would have to take it up with the carrier. What really irritated me was the letter also stated they did not have a phone and not to email them regarding the status of my order because they would not answer such emails..Less than 24 hours after I placed the order, I sent the first of four letters telling them that I did not want to do business under those conditions and to cancel my order..The only reply I received was that they wanted a valid reason. I sent them two..When they did not reply, I went to the BBB. The company then sent me a beautiful cluster of plants, the problem is that they are at the end of their life cycle having already bloomed and put on babies which had been dislodged from the parents in shipping..Through BBB the owner finally agreed to let me send the plant back providing I would pay shipping. Shipping would be almost as much as the plant and I did not want to invest any more in this plant, I declined to do so..If they had canceled my order when I asked, they would have had their plant and I would not have wasted my money. The entire transaction has been distasteful especially considering the entire cost of plant and shipping was only 15.00.
Negative Ms_SadieMae
Heisson, WA
May 7, 2011
Sadly, I cannot comment positively or negatively on the plant quality because I still, since ordering on April 16th have not received my plants. I can only comment on their poor customer relations/service and negative attitude toward any questions or comments by customers.
After ordering I received a confirmation from PayPal but nothing from AirPlants4U. I waited until 4/20 and emailed the company. I got a bounce-back email stating that they were back logged due to an article that appeared in Better Homes and Gardens. They stated that ebay customerís orders would be right on time but anyone one elseís would be 10-15 days before even shipping.
I wrote again saying that I thought their policies and lack of communication were not good to public relations and repeat business and I then received a surly note from the owner telling me that he didnít need my ideas or opinions on how to run his business and they were doing just fine without my input. He stated then that his company had sent an email and I just hadnít bothered to read it. The correspondence was so negative and gruff without one apology or hint that they were even slightly sorry they couldnít process orders to non-ebay customers (even though we pay the same or higher prices).
After still a 3rd email by me saying that I at least wanted a confirmation that my order was on the books, he grudgingly sent me a statement of such that he said was previously emailed.
Today is May 7th 2011, I still have no notification that my order has been processed, let alone shipped. I didnít spend a fortune there, $23. + dollars, but somehow I still expected to be treated with some professionalism and sophistication in business practices. I will never order on single item from them again and hopefully, I will at some time receive my air plants before they become extinct.
If you are expecting a company that is well run, professional and somewhat customer oriented, I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere. As I said at the beginning, I cannot speak for or against the quality of their product since after 21 days I still have no product to review. In all fairness to AirPlants4U it seems that the Better Homes & Gardens article played havoc with their shipping department and caught them totally off guard, but their crisis response reflex is so atrophied it needs a complete overhaul.
Positive veganman
Peoria, AZ (Zone 9b)
January 10, 2011
I ordered a small assortment and received an amazing selection of large plants. Many were starting to spike. I am extremely pleased with not only the beauty, but the quality of the plants I received.

Some of these plants are available locally, but they pale in comparison to the specimens I received. Nothing comes close.

I would recommend Airplants4U to anyone wanting a great price on these unusual beauties.
Positive Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of TN
United States (Zone 7a)
January 2, 2011
Beautiful Tillandsias and excellent service! The plants exceeded my expectations. I received an absolutely gorgeous T. xerographica and I couldn't be more pleased. The others in the assortment and singles I ordered were beautiful too. I don't think you can go wrong with this seller.
Positive tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA (Zone 8b)
January 1, 2011
I ordered from Airplants4U twice this year and am quite pleased with the plants I've received. My first order was the 12 variety assortment through their ebay store. The second was the 20 variety assortment through their website. Both arrived well packed, very quickly, and looking great.
I'm hoping to order more during the spring time and will update this review afterwords.
Positive AngryRedHead
Austin, TX (Zone 8b)
December 27, 2010
I ordered the large "Selection of Our Best" assortment from this company and was quite pleased with the transaction and the plants. The prices are good, and the selection is amazing which was the main impetus in ordering. The plants arrived in good health, and I was impressed with the size and quality of each. I received 18 large plants and 1 small, but of the large plants, there was a plant that could be divided into 2 separate plants. Additionally, I discovered very, very small tillandsias hidden inside the plants, no doubt due to how these plants reproduce and spread their fuzzy seeds everywhere. I took it as a nice bonus to the purchase. I wish I had received names of each plant in the order, and I assume I didn't because of how hectic the Christmas season is. The plants were well cushioned in reused newspaper, and there was a care sheet included in the package. I would highly recommend an assortment of these plants as a present to just about any gardener since the plants require very little care and do well indoors. Overall, I had a great experience with this company, would recommend it to others, and will purchase again in the future.
Positive GrowinEngrGirl
Pocatello, ID (Zone 5a)
January 6, 2009
This company sells Tillandsias, a type of bromeliad. I grow orchids, and was interested in some companion plants, but had never seen tillandsias. I bought a fairly large selection of smaller specimines just to see. They arrived very well packaged and very quickly. Each plant came with an identification tag, and they included basic care instructions. I was also given a bonus plant which was beginning to bloom! One of the plants I had choosen was also in bloom.

I feel the prices for the plants and shipping were very reasonable. They use a paypal checkout system, so that made things very easy. I am thrilled with my purchase, and will certainly be ordering from them again in the future. Now I'm hooked on tillandsias too!