The scoop on 'Welkers Grove Nursery (giantsequoia.com)'

Welkers Grove Nursery (giantsequoia.com)

42170 Cedar Springs Road
Auberry, California 93602 (United States)

Phone: 559 349-0081

Comments:

Neutral theydoscam
February 19, 2016
Posted on February 10, 2016, updated February 19, 2016
Posted on February 10, 2016, updated February 10, 2016
Posted on February 10, 2016, updated February 10, 2016
Posted on February 9, 2016, updated February 10, 2016
hi, i just read the other comments about this company after i had already ordered one pre-bonsai coast redwood sappling. They seem very hostile and somehow i have the feeling that i will be ripped off. I would just like to kno, are there any other coniferous trees that can be easily confused with or passed off as coastal redwoods, if so does anyone else have doubts about the authenticity of their trees?
On February 10th, 2016, theydoscam changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

My tree came on time but as i had feared, i am 100% certain what ive is not a coastal redwood. It is some other coniferous tree. This site is a scam. Dont waste your money, i paid 8 dollars for a random pine tree branch,
On February 10th, 2016, theydoscam added the following:

***i paid 85$ for some random pine tree branch!!!!
On February 10th, 2016, theydoscam changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

you kno what i am not 100% sure its not a redwood. it looks like the picture, it seems healthy, it came on time. Why i am i complaining? i dont know. I guess they arent ripping any one off.
On February 19th, 2016, theydoscam changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Okay heres what i think had happen was...

They might have sent me the exact species i asked for, but theres no way of knowing that what they sent was not a genectically modified version of the tree i requested. This would make more sense economically as they should be easier to germinate and generally sturdier as they are meant for industrial lumber needs. Loosing my 85 dollars is my fault, i did not stay on top of the news regarding the widespread application of genetically modified organisms. So i blame myself, never the less what your paying for could be substantially different than what your expecting as far as cell ecology is concerned. A GMo tree would likely interact with the soil in ways that dont match the natural cycles of a genuine tree. For people outside the scientific community or people who arent forest rangers, what i recieved from this company will probably be considered a genuine tree in a few years time. I am sure for good PR purposes this company may have sent a few select individuals non GMO sequoias. Anyways i think they sell GMo trees for much much higher than there worth. easy money scam.
Positive chancremechanic
Wartrace, TN (Zone 7a)
July 9, 2015
Posted on March 28, 2015, updated July 9, 2015
gtr1017
Roanoke, VA
July 31, 2009

I am replying regarding the post by the above person (see the feed back section). I also ordered 3 Giant Sequoias from Welker\'s Grove Nursery. The trees arrived in great shape, were packaged nice and tight, and I was very pleased. However, when I prepared to plant them into the ground, I also noticed that the root ball was severely dense. I poked and prodded the root ball looking for new root growth, but I couldn\'t find any, and since I didn\'t want to disturb the root mass and risk damaging any living roots, I opted to plant them in one gallon containers with good soil. So far, they seem to be doing well. The reason I am writing this is to agree with the poster in that, yes, the trees did seem to be kept too long in the growing tubes; at least long enough for the outside roots to die. I\'m hoping that there are enough living rootlets under all that mass that will grow through it and allow the trees to \"take off\" this summer. I will post again after summer to let you all know how the trees did. This company seems legit, and my post is also a reminder to let them know that maybe they should check the trees to prevent root-bounding and move them up to a larger growing tube as needed. Peace.
On July 9th, 2015, chancremechanic changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I ordered three Giant Sequoia seedlings (2013 planted) from Welker's Grove Nursery that arrived in very healthy condition at about 18" tall, ready for planting even at this time of summer. The feeder roots were excellent condition, and I was able to cut away the seedling container and place the trees in larger pots without disturbing the root ball, a must with these trees. I received the trees in 2 days as per mailing instructions, and the trees were solidly packed in newspaper, and their roots were moist. I'm very satisfied. I would recommend this retailer to a friend. However, read up on the care of Giant Sequoias on the company website and follow the directions precisely as written when ordering.
Positive dennyboy34
Yonkers, NY
January 24, 2012
Ordered 3 Noble Fir (Abies Procera) seedlings. Trees were shipped promptly and were as-described (in growing tubes and within size range). Arrived in good condition. Shipping tracking information was provided.
Positive x43b
Lancaster, CA
October 31, 2010
I have purchased Giant Sequoia and Coast Redwoods from this company. All arrived healthy, large, and in excellent shape.

Very happy with my purchases and they have very competitive prices. Also I made a mistake on my order and they were quick to help me fix the mistake.
Neutral gtr1017
Roanoke, VA
July 31, 2009
Ordered 3 sequoias, trees arrived looking healthy, problem is they are kept to long in growing tubes before being sold, root mass bound beyond reason, one died shortly after transplant, 2 still alive.
On August 2nd, 2009, gtr1017 added the following:

I purchased the trees directly off the website this past winter.
Company representative comment on July 31, 2009:
On Jul 31, 2009 6:07 AM, Welkers Grove Nursery responded with:

I don't know who you are but we have never sold to you from Dave's Garden. We ship only healthy trees. Yes we have massive roots on our trees. That is because the trees are healthy. If you acquired one of our trees and it died it is because you did something wrong. You probably neglected it.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.