The scoop on 'Welkers Grove Nursery (giantsequoia.com)'

Welkers Grove Nursery (giantsequoia.com)

42170 Cedar Springs Road
Auberry, California 93602 (United States)

Phone: 559 349-0081

Posted on March 28, 2015, updated July 9, 2015
gtr1017
Roanoke, VA
July 31, 2009

I am replying regarding the post by the above person (see the feed back section). I also ordered 3 Giant Sequoias from Welker\'s Grove Nursery. The trees arrived in great shape, were packaged nice and tight, and I was very pleased. However, when I prepared to plant them into the ground, I also noticed that the root ball was severely dense. I poked and prodded the root ball looking for new root growth, but I couldn\'t find any, and since I didn\'t want to disturb the root mass and risk damaging any living roots, I opted to plant them in one gallon containers with good soil. So far, they seem to be doing well. The reason I am writing this is to agree with the poster in that, yes, the trees did seem to be kept too long in the growing tubes; at least long enough for the outside roots to die. I\'m hoping that there are enough living rootlets under all that mass that will grow through it and allow the trees to \"take off\" this summer. I will post again after summer to let you all know how the trees did. This company seems legit, and my post is also a reminder to let them know that maybe they should check the trees to prevent root-bounding and move them up to a larger growing tube as needed. Peace.
On July 9th, 2015, chancremechanic changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I ordered three Giant Sequoia seedlings (2013 planted) from Welker's Grove Nursery that arrived in very healthy condition at about 18" tall, ready for planting even at this time of summer. The feeder roots were excellent condition, and I was able to cut away the seedling container and place the trees in larger pots without disturbing the root ball, a must with these trees. I received the trees in 2 days as per mailing instructions, and the trees were solidly packed in newspaper, and their roots were moist. I'm very satisfied. I would recommend this retailer to a friend. However, read up on the care of Giant Sequoias on the company website and follow the directions precisely as written when ordering.
Positive dennyboy34
Yonkers, NY
January 24, 2012
Ordered 3 Noble Fir (Abies Procera) seedlings. Trees were shipped promptly and were as-described (in growing tubes and within size range). Arrived in good condition. Shipping tracking information was provided.
Positive x43b
Lancaster, CA
October 31, 2010
I have purchased Giant Sequoia and Coast Redwoods from this company. All arrived healthy, large, and in excellent shape.

Very happy with my purchases and they have very competitive prices. Also I made a mistake on my order and they were quick to help me fix the mistake.
Neutral gtr1017
Roanoke, VA
July 31, 2009
Ordered 3 sequoias, trees arrived looking healthy, problem is they are kept to long in growing tubes before being sold, root mass bound beyond reason, one died shortly after transplant, 2 still alive.
On August 2nd, 2009, gtr1017 added the following:

I purchased the trees directly off the website this past winter.
Company representative comment on July 31, 2009:
On Jul 31, 2009 6:07 AM, Welkers Grove Nursery responded with:

I don't know who you are but we have never sold to you from Dave's Garden. We ship only healthy trees. Yes we have massive roots on our trees. That is because the trees are healthy. If you acquired one of our trees and it died it is because you did something wrong. You probably neglected it.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]