The scoop on 'Breck's (Canada)'

Breck's (Canada)

Canadian Order Reservation Centre, P.O.Box 211
Oakville, Ontario L6J 5A2 (Canada)

Phone: 800-644-5505
Fax: 513-354-1505

This company is affiliated with Gardens Alive!

This company is affiliated with 1 company:

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Comments:

Positive Gallivanting1
Edmonton, AB (Zone 3a)
August 5, 2014
I have ordered a number of items from Brecks over the past 8 years and while some items have been "hit and miss", I find their customer service is very good. They guarantee all their plants and while it can be frustrating to find they no longer carry some plants I want replacements for, at least they will refund my money or send me a replacement certificate. All of the bulbs I order from any mail order company I treat with a fungicide before planting and I find the success rate of them goes up. Their shipping dates could be better as I've received items after the snow is on the ground but their customer service rep said plant them - so I did. Surprisingly, most of them came up - bulbs. The peonies didn't fair as well but they refunded my for them so I am happy. The plants are well packed and usually arrive in good condition. In all, I would say my experiences with them have been positive.
Negative nickbolk
Squamish
December 14, 2012
Ordered November 19th,
I bought 4 of their "Premium Dutch Bulb Grab Bags" described by their site "If you love premium, exotic Tulips, fancy Daffodils, splendid Hyacinths as well as other unique Dutch bulbs, and don't mind SURPRISES, then this Grab Bag is for you!"

Well when I ordered, I was given a delivery estimate of November 28th in my order status. Ordering this late should not be an issue for me as where I live (zone 8, BC) the ground rarely freezes for more than a few weeks all winter!! Well when my package didn't arrive on the 28th I checked again online. It wasn't even shipped from Ontario until the 26th!! It arrived on December 3rd, but I dont know why it took them a full week to drop the package off at Canada Post according to the tracking info I found on it.

The bulbs were a mix of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, muscari, bluebells, anemones, lavender mountain lillies, and orchid iris lady. I was pretty disappointed that the mix was filled mostly by such a large number of small bulbs, and that ordering a quantity of 4 mixes didnt give me better variety. i.e. for hyacinths I recieved 4x5 = 20 white Carnegie but no other colours

I've planted the anemones and orchid iris lady in pots but nothing else. It seems that this is the clearance to get rid of the last of what's left in the warehouse, and the quality is definitely lacking. A good portion of the bulbs in each package (tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, muscari, lillies and bluebells) were damp and seem to have some sort of powdery mildew with the tulips being the worst of the bunch and are fully engulfed. I've thrown them all out save for 8 hyacinths that looked in decent shape that I will try to force. I don't think its worth it to infect the other bulbs and plants in my garden by planting these and ruining the soil I have been fixing for so long. The anemones and orchid iris lady were on the top layer thrown into the box and seemed okay so i've planted them in pots to quarantine them and see how they work out.
Really not impressed by this as I am scrambling to try to find whats left at the garden centers and lo and behold they are out of stock, wish I had just bought bulbs I could check in person.
Company representative comment on December 17, 2012:
On Dec 17, 2012 11:28 AM, Breck's (Canada) responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you letting us know about the problem with your bulbs. The mold on the bulbs was most likely storage/transportation mold and it is harmless. Unfortunately with a mix of bulbs there is no way to know what is included in the mix. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and we can refund or reship the bulbs to you.

Positive LadyAssassin
Belleville, ON (Zone 5b)
October 15, 2012
I had a good experience with Breck's. I ordered a few hardy 'Robinetta' gladiolus bulbs at the beginning of August and had the estimated ship date of October 15. They ended up shipping at the end of September and even arrived before their estimated delivery date. Bulbs appear healthy and I can't wait to see them next year. I just hope they really do survive our zone 5 winters.
Even with the good experience, Breck's is not the place I would typically order fall bulbs from just because their prices are so high compared to other Canadian sources.
Company representative comment on November 2, 2012:
On Nov 2, 2012 10:48 AM, Breck's (Canada) responded with:

We appreciate you taking the time to post. We do have a lifetime guarantee which most companies do not offer so if you ever have any problems with your bulbs just let us know.

Positive KPater
Oakville
October 24, 2011
Order 60 tulip bulbs mid-summer and Brecks advised they would be delivered mid-Octobe, which they were. Nice big fat bulbs. Can't wait to see them in the Spring.
Company representative comment on November 2, 2012:
On Nov 2, 2012 10:21 AM, Breck's (Canada) responded with:

We appreciate your wonderful feedback. Enjoy your bulbs!

Negative yxlhs
regina
June 8, 2011
I ordered four items on May 17th this year. This order includes DAISY, lily tree mixture and the other two kinds of lily. They sent daisy on May 28. Then I checked my order online two weeks ago. I found out they will send the lily tree in the early of June, and ship the other two kinds of lilies in Septemeber. But I checked my order again this morning, and I got a big surprise. The lily tree mixture I ordered disappears from my order without any notice. Then I checked my credit card statement. They did deduct the money from my credit card including the price of the lily tree mixture. How come they removed the item I ordered without any notice, but deducted the money for this item? I am pretty sure I did order the lily tree mixture, since the amount of money deduct includes the lily tree mixture. I checked their store, and found out the lily tree mixture is out of stock now. Weired company...
Company representative comment on June 8, 2011:
On Jun 8, 2011 4:19 PM, Breck's (Canada) responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problem with your order. A customer service representative will contacting you to see what happed with the lily tree and to make sure you are refunded.

Negative pcouton
Ottawa
December 17, 2010
I tried to order 20 sets of bulbs from this company, using their online service, twice they sent the wrong amount (only 2). I then tried to place the order over the phone, and was promised the bulbs would arrive promptly. They never did, and my order was apparently, and without notification, cancelled! These bulbs were a major part of my spring garden. I can now look forward to a bare patch of ground this spring.
Company representative comment on December 20, 2010:
On Dec 20, 2010 3:41 PM, Breck's (Canada) responded with:

Thank you for taking the time to post. We appreciate your feedback. We apologize for the trouble you had with your order. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information.

Positive GeorgeandMisty
Gatineau
October 14, 2010
Posted on August 13, 2010, updated October 14, 2010
Posted on August 13, 2010, updated August 13, 2010
Just finished posting about Spring Garden, but basically the same story. Placed and order Monday. Website said it would send me an email notification. Didn't get any notifications. Sent them emails - no one has replied to my emails. Will be cancelling my order.
which is a pity because I was told by a friend that Breck's was a good place. I'm not looking forward to breaking the news. The order I placed was not just for me. So I can't really let anything slide as it's not just my money that is at stake here.
I am sad to have issues with Breck's as I was so excited to be ordering from their catalogue.
Guess for the rest of the plants I was going to buy next year I will have to find other suppliers. :(
On August 13th, 2010, GeorgeandMisty changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Just updating.. since it the same as Spring Gardens, I just cut and pasted my update from there.
Thought I would send an update. For the time being I have changed the rating to neutral as I have been contacted by a Customer Service rep for Breck's who was able to confirm my orders for both Breck's and Spring Garden.
Since I had not yet called my credit card company, I figured I would keep my orders and see how this all pans out.
Hopefully for the best.
I am however, a little sad that it took a negative posting to a reply - or maybe it was just a coincidence. Either way, I was contacted and I appreciate that.
My orders will not be shipped until October, so I'll update this post then.
Thanks
On October 14th, 2010, GeorgeandMisty changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

The bulbs were in good condition. They have been planted. Now to see how they grow in the spring.

thanks
Company representative comment on August 13, 2010:
On Aug 13, 2010 8:59 AM, Breck's (Canada) responded with:

Thank you for taking the time to post. We appreciate your feedback. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information. We apologize for the trouble you had with getting your email confirmation and we will have this issue checked out.

Neutral Catherine70
Victoria
February 19, 2009
My dealings with Breck's Canadian affiliate were definitely not as frustrating as many of those detailed in the ratings for their American company. Overall, I'd say they're pleasant enough people to deal with on the phone, while emails to customer service seem to go unanswered. They are a little disorganized with their ordering and shipping, and tend not to let you know if something is backordered or out of stock; it's up to the customer to chase down missing items.

All that said, the quality of their bulbs seems pretty good. Plants are so-so, but since I have only ordered a few plants from them, I can't really say definitively. From a collection of four of their lily trees, only two seem to have grown. The Astilbes I bought also seemed to expire, but since reading a few posts on this site about growing Astilbes, I'm hopeful at least some of them may come back this year.

One caveat: You do seem to end up on an awful lot of mailing lists once you've purchased from them, so if you're opposed to junk mail, this company is probably not for you.

I would order from Breck's again if they offered a product I couldn't find anywhere else. But given the profusion of online gardening companies, that's not likely to happen. My favourite company to deal with so far is Vesey's. I am also trying out Botanus, after reading their reviews on this site.