The scoop on 'Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys'

Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

6460 E 784 N
Fremont, Indiana 56737 (United States)

Comments:

Positive Willowynd
Churubusco, IN
May 7, 2014
I had a wonderful experience with Porter's in 2012! I ordered royal and blue palms and they turned out great. I just wish the minimum shipping amount was smaller for those of us that don't need/ want that many turkeys, but then again I know of none that will ship under 15.
Positive johnrclark1
Potosi, TX
August 15, 2013
Ordered 20 poults from Porter's. Received an e-mail notice when they were shipped, they were shipped when I requested to have them shipped. Twenty poults arrived alive and in good health. Exactly what I wanted, exactly when I wanted it. Three days later all 20 are alive and doing well. I would definitely order from Porter's again.
Positive CarlWWagener
Cottageville, SC
July 17, 2013
Posted on July 17, 2013, updated July 17, 2013
Posted on June 25, 2013, updated July 17, 2013
We received fifty nine but ordered fifty four. We only lost one. All are doing great and growing fast. Every time we called him he returned our call in five days or less. Also he answered all our questions.
On July 17th, 2013, CarlWWagener added the following:

We ordered turkeys earlier in the season and was well p,eased with them and how well they are doing. That we order a late season order and received them today and all are doing great. We made a wish list and received almost all that we wanted. We received three bourbon red, one chocolate palm, three chocolate slate, four jersey buff, one mottled chocolate, three penciled chocolate palms, two self buff, and would recommend Porters Rare Heritage Turkeys to anyone. Acting them from 1 to 10, 10 being the best. I would give them a 10.
On July 17th, 2013, CarlWWagener added the following:

I meant rating them from 1 to 10 and 10 being the best. I would give them a 10.
Negative boonehillbilly
Racine, WV
June 24, 2013
Ordered 20 Sweetgrass Turkeys from this business on 3/8/13/ I had initial communication with them on the first day and then hurd nothing from them again. I started emailing them 6/3/13 wanting to know when my poults would be sent. I finally got tired of trying and sent an email asking for a refund. This email received an immediate response (imagine that)! This email stated that I would be hit with a 25% fee because I was cancelling the order and they were slated to ship in July. I replied stating I would take the "chicks" as it was close and I really wanted them. I also told them if they tried to steal 25% from me I would sue with no hesitation. The reply back was they were cancelling the order since I was being difficult and that they are called poults not chicks. I guess asking where your 256 bucks is is being difficult .. All in all I would advise everyone looking for turkeys to look elsewhere as this company is seriously lacking in the communication, customer service and frankly personality department. You can see from the replies they have left for their customers here that they simply do not care about you or your business. STAY AWAY!!!
Company representative comment on June 24, 2013:
On Jun 24, 2013 4:49 PM, Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys responded with:

We received only 1 email from this guy and that was today stating that he wanted to cancel his order. We searched our old emails and spam folders but no other emails from him. If we had received multiple earlier emails like he claimed we would have answered them.
He could have called and left a phone message as well if he didn't receive a prompt email response to make sure we got the message. Email is not always reliable.
Anyway the order was scheduled for late June the earliest with mid July as the latest ship date when the order was placed and that was stated on our site at that time.So he had at least some ball park idea of when they would ship.

It states right on our order info page as well that we have a 25% cancellation penalty if a customer cancels an order. He also agreed to our terms of business when placing the order, he did check that box.
If you don't agree to our terms of business we state not to order from us.

The money paid was refunded back and without any penalties since we decided not to deal with him since he was so rude to us, threatening to sue us if we charged him the 25% cancellation penalty that he agreed to by placing an order.
As for lacking in the communication and personality department this guy needs to take a good look in the mirror on that one.
Others can decide for themselves if we actually deserve a negative for NOT putting up with rude and threatening behavior like this.

Life's just too short.

P.S. Baby turkeys ARE called poults, not chicks.

Positive bernier6
Pomfret Center, CT
August 2, 2012
Absolutley the best turkey poults I have ever seen. Received my order of 15 with 3 extras included. Healthy, lively bunch of birds and such a selection. Very professional business people. This is the first batch of poultry we have ordered and received a phone call from the owner stating the birds were on their way. A++++++++++ We will most definately order from Porters Again.
Positive claybird
Ravensdale, WA
July 26, 2012
All I can say is Awesome. Kevin did a wonderful job geting the new hatchlings to me. No losses They were so lively & healthy.10 days old now.The best group of birds I have seen. I would recommend Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys to any body wanting Rare Heritage turkeys.
Thank's again Kevin.
Positive tcwiley
Greenville, NH
June 12, 2012
I ordered 15 assorted turkeys from Porters's Heritage Turkeys and received all turkeys (plus extras) ahead of schedule (Kevin called to make sure this was ok) and healthy. These are some great turkeys and we only lost 2 which is phenomenal for day olds. They are now 6 1/2 weeks old and the little toms are showing off. :)
Positive treebird101
Bedford, IA
December 9, 2011
Posted on November 17, 2011, updated December 10, 2011
I had ordered turkeys from Kevin Porter this past year and was not pleased. After ordering 16 turkey poults, he said they would arrive near the first of April. I called the middle of April and he said the first of May. In the middle of May, it would be the next month and then the next month, all the way up until me receiving my birds the middle of July. When I called in July to find out what was going on he said they would be on their way and that some of the varieties he had to hold on to a little longer so they would be over a week old when i got them and it shouldn't be a problem, well a poultry man should know that a chick that has already absorbed its yolk sack in its 3 day window should not go 3 days without food or water and that's how long it took to get to Iowa. And much needed to say, 7 poults over a week old were week and giving up and all died within 2 days. Go figure they all cost $12 to $13 each. I called Kevin quickly to resolve this matter and he said he would refund me for the birds and he didn't think they would have taken that long to get here so i was understanding and said that would be fine. a month later, no refund. Then i had made 4 phone calls and sent an email afterward with no response back, Still no response and still no refund. Also a few of the birds were mixed and didn't turn out true to breed. A poor business man. Not recommended.
On December 9th, 2011, treebird101 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Well, glad to have Kevin Porter contact me. It seems we had a misunderstanding. Money was refunded to a previous pay pal account that had been closed and that's why I never saw the money. It was in my wife's name, so I never saw the transaction. This was a mistake on my part, I'm sure Kevin was busy at the time and couldn't return my phone calls. Wish I would've had maters resolved before the negative post. I jumped the gun on this post. What did survive turned out beautiful and the breeds i figured to be true to type where the result of a three way cross that had a % possibility of not resulting in true desired color pattern. Lack of research on my part. Kevin has been patient towards my bitterness and understanding. he also DID provide me with proof of the refund and my error in time frame. I do apologize and hope I haven't lost a future seller. I highly recommend Porters Rare Heritage Turkeys. Kevin knows his stuff. I would have no problem with purchasing poults from him again sorry for anyone who utilized my negativity as a deterrent. This was my foolishness on a public forum board.
Company representative comment on November 17, 2011:
On Nov 17, 2011 8:22 PM, Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys responded with:

You were never told that your poults would arrive the first of April.
We don't even start shipping till the end of April or first of May each season. That is stated right on our website.
So I would never have told you such a thing. I don't know how you came up with that????

You were originally scheduled for mid May as your first possible ship date with the latest date that you said you would accept shipment being the end of June.

You stated that you received the poults in mid July.
They were actually sent on June 20 and they arrived at your post office two days later, not three days like you claim, I have shipping records from the USPS to prove this.

You also said I sent you 7 that were a week old, you know very well that I only sent 4 that were a week old, the rest were day olds.

Also the cost of the poults you got were not all $12- $13 each like you posted. The regal reds were $12.99, the rest you got were from $10 - $10.99.

Also on the refund, they were insured so I sent in a claim to the usps as soon as you let me know of the 4 losses.
You were then notified by the USPS to provide proof of loss to them, which you DID NOT do, so they denied the claim. So as stated on my site if the usps fails to stand by a claim I will refund for any losses, even tho you did not do your part and provide proof of loss. So once I was notified of the denial from them I sent you the refund via paypal the same way you paid me. I also have proof from paypal that I refunded your money for the 4 losses on Aug,15.
So I am not sure why you are claiming you did not get your refund???

You also did not receive mixes, not sure why you are saying that. As this is the first I have heard anything from you saying you were not satisfied with the birds you got.

You should get your facts straight before posting false info..

Kevin
Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

Positive desertmarcy
Tucson, AZ
December 18, 2010
I purchased fertile turkey eggs as an end of season sale in August, 2010. I ordered eggs from 3 different breeds. All eggs arrived in excellent condition, were packed extremely well, labelled as to breed, and came with a hatching guideline. After a 10-day incubation, I candled the eggs and found all the eggs from one breed to be infertile, not too unusual for end of season since the fertility will drop. After email notification to the seller of this, I was given the option of refund or ship eggs from another breed which still had good fertility. I chose refund, which was sent promptly and included refund for the shipping I had paid for those eggs. Of the remaining eggs, those that I was able to hatch developed into beautiful birds (now almost 4 months old) and were the breeds I ordered--no mix-ups. I would definitely order from this company again and recommend to others.