The scoop on 'Peony's Envy'

Peony's Envy

PO Box 114
Bernardsville, New Jersey 07924 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Negative drinkyourtea
REVA, VA
December 1, 2013
First, the good news: the owner was extremely knowledgeable and helpful on the telephone, and there is a lot of very good information on the website - probably the best we've seen about tree peonies. The bad news: we have been ordering tree peonies from another seller for years, and usually buy five-year-old plants. This year that seller was sold out of five-year-old plants, so we ordered from Peony's Envy. The website gives pictures of the flowers, but says nothing about price or age of the plants. When we talked to the owner on the telephone, she assured us that the plants we were ordering were beautiful five-old-plants. When they arrived, they were tiny - about 1/6 the size of the five-year-old plants from the other seller. We had ordered a few two-year-old plants from the other seller, and these were barely bigger. We paid over $100 a plant, somewhat more than we were used to paying. She offers no guarantees, refunds, or exchanges. We have planted the peonies (very deeply, according to her instructions). They are barely visible above ground, but we hope this method will produce vigorous plants some day soon.
Positive daylilly99
northern, VA (Zone 6b)
May 22, 2013
Posted on May 20, 2013, updated May 22, 2013
Bought a bagged plant of Fat Concubine from this company two years ago. It finally bloomed this year and it is pathetic. I don't think it can possibly be the right plant. Never again.
On May 22nd, 2013, daylilly99 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I owe this company an apology. For some reason the first blossom looked nothing like a big double white bloom. Now, several days later, the blooms look completely different and I believe this is the correct plant.

So sorry for the earlier negative review.
Negative fern4
Portland, OR
March 28, 2013
I ordered several peonies two seasons ago, along with several from a different company, and they were all planted the same way in the same general location. When they came up, I was very surprised at how small and scrawny the peonies were from Peony's Envy. I've never received such disappointing peony roots (and I have a lot of peonies).

Curious, I looked on their website and found a warning that it will take many years for peonies to grow well and flower. Yes, of course they take time, but it's all relative. Good roots will give you good results. These are just not good quality roots!

I wrote them an email informing them of how poor the plant material was and I received an email to the effect of "we're sorry you were disappointed." That was it; lousy roots and lousy customer service.

The peonies are coming up again this year and the difference between the ones from the other company (5-6 stems) and Peony's Envy (0-2 stems) is striking.
Neutral Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ
February 22, 2013
This is a very nice place to visit during the blooming season and the staff was very nice. However, I made the mistake of buying a bareroot plant because I wanted a certain variety. It was May. The plant tried to grow but there were no feeder roots so the growth kept dying back. Wrong time of year to sell these? Lesson learned. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a potted plant but no more bareroots for me.
Negative Mary8
Glenside, PA
November 17, 2012
Posted on August 26, 2012, updated November 17, 2012
I bought herbaceous peonies at Peony's Envy's stall at the Philadelphia Flower Show, after speaking with Kathleen about exactly what I wanted. One of them was a white, full peony, and she recommended and supposedly sold me Fat Concubine. When it bloomed the expected 3 years later, however, it was light pink and not very hardy. I tried emailing her more than once, with no response. I tried calling and left a message, with no response. I am a member of the PA Horticultural Society, and they contacted her on my behalf. I was supposed to get a call from Kathleen "right away" after the representative of the Society spoke with her, but it's a week later, and I never received a call. Good customer service is just as important as good quality plants, and I will never buy from this vendor again.
On November 17th, 2012, Mary8 added the following:

As an update on November 17, I never received a call from Kathleen, but today I received a replacement peony in the mail. Again, the quality of the peonies is not an issue for me, it is the customer service.
Negative caadelman
Salem, OR
January 18, 2012
I purchased 3 tree peonies from this company. Planted them soon after they arrived. The following Spring 2 did not come up. I contacted the company and was told they needed to review my planting/growing conditions. I responded that I have 1,125 tree peonies growing in my field - I might know how to grow them. No replacement. The following Spring the 3rd tree peony failed to grow. She has good hype - but a good company must stand for their product, not just take money from trusting people.
Negative bryana
Albany, NY
December 10, 2011
I ordered a peony root, a Chinese tree peony and a Rockii tree peony.
The peony root arrived late October and was like a rectangular block of root - no real roots.
I never received either of the tree peonies.
I emailed the address on their website three times (late October & mid and late November) asking when the tree peonies would be shipped - no reply. I called their phone number and left a message requesting information - no reply.
It is now after the first week in December and I filed a dispute with my credit card company asking for a refund of the two $99 peonies plus the shipping.
Do NOT order from this company.
Positive Guy07070
Rutherford, NJ
May 23, 2009
I met Kathleen (the owner) at a farmers' market in the town I moved to in 2007 and, though I could not get it together to plant that fall, I did place an order for 10 peonies the following year. She was very patient and helped me select fragrant varieties and I received absolutely first-rate roots. All but one came up and are thriving -- I will be back now that the building site is turning to garden once again. The only possible quibble I'd have is the no-replacement policy, but having seen how people garden when they do it two weekends a year, I suppose a small grower does what needs to be done.
Positive richK
New York, NY
May 5, 2009
Amazing place, nestled in a cozy clearing in middle of huge trees - in a cute old town -great display garden and the owner, Kathleen was very knowledgeable and helpful & shared a bit about the forms and characteristics and the advantages of being on OWN ROOTS.. I was looking for fragrant upright TREE PEONY. She located a blooming Fragrant Jade in the field and i got to see its shape and experience the fragrance. I bought a huge 5-7 branched FRAGRANT JADE tree peony in an extra deep pot for $99 [own roots/not grafted]. Decent price, considering others in same age/range can be much more at other nurseries. specimen looks very healthy AND is on its OWN ROOTS and I can't wait to see it grow! lots n lots to choose from and i could've gone BLIND from the huge selections of both TREE and HERBACEOUS. the fields were rich and well managed the shipping/packing and labeling area sharply organized. She really loves her peonies-it shows.
- she also threw in a bonus of a small bottle of fish emulsion to start my tree off and let me take a few shovels of mushroom compost from her massive mound -talk about customer service!! I will be back to catch the peak of blooms in a few weeks.
Positive bishopofbattle
Lawrenceville, GA (Zone 8a)
April 4, 2009
Wonderful people, service, and sweet peonies, they are not small, one
even had 7 eyes, and they are thriving, I can't complain one bit.

Customer Service was AWESOME!

Shipped fast too!