The scoop on 'The Sample Seed Shop'

The Sample Seed Shop

Green Star: Good The Sample Seed Shop is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

978 Riverview Blvd.
Tonawanda, New York 14150 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on June 19, 2014:
Posted on November 21, 2010, updated June 14, 2014
We are a family owned company started by a passionate gardener. We offer great seeds at inexpensive prices. From rare tomatoes to unusual annuals, we've got a little bit of everything, and hopefully something you must have for your garden.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive mom2goldens
Carmel, IN (Zone 5b)
June 5, 2015
Posted on January 30, 2010, updated June 5, 2015
I found the Sample Seed Shop through DG, and was pleasantly surprised at the variety of seeds offered. The website was easy to navigate, and had good information and photos on their plant descriptions. I found several tomatoes that I wanted to try. Once my order was placed, I received my confirmation and seeds very quickly. A good value for the # of seeds received, and shipping is very reasonable. A great first experience with this company.
On June 5th, 2015, mom2goldens added the following:

Have been ordering from Sample Seed Shop for several years now and have been very pleased with the variety of seed, great germination and friendly service. Love being able to order smaller amounts of seed at a reasonable price. This is the first place I check when selecting tomato and other seeds for my garden.

Positive Gully
Ellicott City, MD
June 5, 2015
Posted on May 15, 2014, updated June 5, 2015
Posted on May 1, 2013, updated May 15, 2014
Seeds arrived quickly and in very nice packages with artwork on both the seed packs and mailing label. Even though I had a small order, bonus seeds were included. A very nice experience!
On May 15th, 2014, Gully added the following:

Just received my second order. Such a nice variety of seeds to choose from and a bonus packet is always enclosed with seeds suited for your growing zone. Seeds from the last order grew beautifully and I am sure I will be well pleased with the germination rate this year as well.
On June 5th, 2015, Gully added the following:

Received two orders for this planting season. As always, the germination rate is fantastic. The detailed web site helps you to decide what will be a good fit for your garden and the bonus seeds you get with your order are always a treat!
Positive Angelady7
Ruidoso, NM (Zone 6a)
April 25, 2015
This was my first time ordering. Everything was shipped quickly without issues. Customer service is the best I've seen when ordering seeds. I will definitely order again and highly recommend her site to friends. You won't be disappointed!
Positive SamNJ
South Amboy, NJ
April 24, 2015
This is by far my favorite place to order seeds from. With other seed catalogues, I tend to wait for a good sale before I order and then shipping seems to take forever. The Sample Seed Shop ALWAYS has great prices and fast shipping. I love the quality of the seeds and have never had a problem with germination. I received my most recent order in the mail yesterday (love the cheerfully decorated package) and started planting the new seeds right away. As usual, there was a generous amount of seeds in each seed packet. And the bonus pack went along great with the "theme" of the other seeds I ordered. It's a pleasure to order from this company and I have no doubt I'll continue to do so.
Positive Kellywpa
April 16, 2015
Posted on April 1, 2015, updated April 16, 2015
This was my first order with The Sample Seed Shop and I was already impressed with Remy before my order came. I went to her site based on reviews here. My seeds just came today so I can\'t say whether or not there are germination issues, but based on reviews, I am not expecting any and am planning my second order in another week or so.

I placed my order when Remy was away for two weeks so I knew I would have to wait until she got back before it was shipped. She kept her website updated daily to post what date orders had been processed thru so you had an an idea of where you stood in the process. I had a question on my order and she responded immediately.

I enjoyed reading the descriptions of the various plants she had - they had a personal, honest touch and aren\'t the usual scientific descriptions most places use. Although I did not order them, my favorite was the one that she was was very ugly but smelled great so stick them in the back. Doubt you would read that anyplace else!
On April 16th, 2015, Kellywpa added the following:

I received my 2nd order the other day and as I was with the first order, I am very happy with the service and selection that Remy provides. The seeds from the first batch two weeks ago are all coming along nicely. I canít wait until we are past the last frost times so I can get them outside and show them off!
Positive judyinmound
Posted on January 24, 2013, updated March 1, 2014
Posted on May 29, 2012, updated January 24, 2013
Posted on March 18, 2011, updated May 29, 2012
Posted on February 18, 2011, updated March 18, 2011
My order came packaged well, the seeds look fresh, and they are VERY generous with their seed count (especially for the price). They have such a nice variety of items that it was hard for me to limit myself, but I did not hear of this company until I had placed large orders elsewhere. The shipping was very prompt. I received a much appreciated bonus seed pack.
On March 18th, 2011, judyinmound added the following:

Ordered a second time from them because I\\\'m going to be going tomato crazy this year. =D Nearly all of the seeds have germinated, which includes vegetable, herb and flowers. I\\\'m very pleased with the prices as well.
On May 29th, 2012, judyinmound added the following:

2nd year, 3rd order - still happy and satisfied with the shipping time and germination of quality seeds. Thanks. =)
On January 24th, 2013, judyinmound added the following:

This makes my third year of buying seeds from The Sample Seed shop - very pleased with the quality, service, and presence on facebook. =)
On March 1st, 2014, judyinmound added the following:

4th year of purchasing from Sample Seed Shop and still very pleased with this company. =)
On September 12th, 2014, judyinmound added the following:

I love the personal touches Remy includes with all of my orders. Very appreciated. The germination rates are outstanding with her seeds. I ordered a bunch of perennials to start during the winter for more pollinators/butterflies.
On April 2nd, 2015, judyinmound added the following:

Still purchasing great quality seeds that grow into vigorous plants from this wonderful shop. ^_^
Positive johnboyjjm
Artemus, KY (Zone 6b)
March 4, 2015
Received my 2cd order placed with Remy last week. Everything went very smooth and was in order. Great company and great people. Thanks for the bonus packet too. I will be ordering again.
Positive LanfrancoLeo
Harrisburg, PA
February 9, 2015
Posted on November 21, 2013, updated February 9, 2015
Posted on November 12, 2013, updated November 21, 2013
I will keep updating the post, I am a first time customer for sample seed shop. I ordered a good amount of seed from Remy the owner of this company and I could not be happier so far...The reason because I am very happy with this company are actually 4:

1. The shipping is fast (less than a week from order to arrive)
2. Remy is ultra nice trying to accommodate the need of her costumers (I am the living proof)
3. The prices are really affordable
4. She alway have a nice bonus seed pack!

Soon I will update my experience about the quality of the seeds!!!
On November 21st, 2013, LanfrancoLeo added the following:

11/20/13 update, after around 4 days from sowing my phacelia campanularia (california bluebell) already germinate!!!! Proof that my positive comment was not wrong
On February 9th, 2015, LanfrancoLeo added the following:

2015 update
I come back to Remy to order some more fun variety that I did not tried last year. Since the result of last year (very good quality of seed, both in terms of germinability and consistency with the cultivar that I ordered), I mad a much bigger order....This year I started ultra-early with my seeds and I can already tell the performance of Remy`s seed for the 2015 season in a single word: FANTASTIC.
All the species that I planted so far germinate rapidly, even in not perfect condition (my basement have appropriate light setting but temperature is around 50s)....I could not be happier with Remy...she gave like usual Bonus seeds that are always appreciated!!I
To be precise , below I reported list of plants that I sow and that few days later (reported) happily germinated:
Centaurea moschata 'Imperialis' (germination: 5 days)
Matthiola incana 'Sugar and Spice (germination: 4-6 days)
Ipomoea nil 'Mount Fuji Mix' (germination: 4 days at 60 degree)
Agastache foeniculum (Anise Hyssop) (germination: 8days)
Zinnia 'Burpeeana Giants Mix'(germination: 5 days at 60 degree)
Lime Basil (germination 8-12 days)
Lemon Mint/Balm (Monarda citriodora) (germination 10 days)
Celeriac 'Giant Prague' (Root Celery) (germination 12 days)
I will update the species that I will plant later this month and the ones that I winter sow.....
Positive paully37
Ann Arbor, MI
January 23, 2015
What a great shop! Remy offers a lovely selection, generous seed counts and low prices. He ships and responds to emails quickly. What more could you want?
Positive Ryan301
Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 6b)
December 27, 2014
I ordered from this company early 2014, and could not have been more pleased with them.

They give you a lot of high quality seed for a very good price.

Customer service is excellent. When my order arrived I only had one packet of cilantro seed when I should have had three. This happened because out of all varieties I had ordered, cilantro was the only one I ordered more than one packet of. All I had to do was send an e-mail, and they quickly sent out the missing packets.

I also appreciated the nice little extra touches, stamps on the seed packets, stickers on the package, a hand written address label, etc.

I plan to order again for 2015
Positive SeanGB1975
Bellevue, WI
November 27, 2014
Posted on March 24, 2014, updated November 27, 2014
Posted on November 23, 2013, updated March 24, 2014
Great experience so far! Excellent response time and personable customer service. Prices are some of the best I\'ve seen. Highly recommended! New favorite :)
On March 24th, 2014, SeanGB1975 added the following:

Ordered for a second time, same personable and reliable service as the first time. Having great success with my first seeds! Everything germinated but my Monkey Ass tomatoes. Not sure if Remy is trying to tell me something...
On November 27th, 2014, SeanGB1975 added the following:

3rd time ordering and same great personable service...love the bonus seeds. Last year I had excellent germination rates with her seeds, very generous with the qty of seeds provided. I recommend The Sample Seed Shop to anyone and everyone! Thanks Remy.
Company representative comment on March 24, 2014:
On Mar 24, 2014 8:22 PM, The Sample Seed Shop responded with:

Oh no! But that was funny. I do have a small stash of them still, so I can send you another pack. I just need to know which Sean this is so I can send a new pack.

Positive DavidLMo
St Joseph, MO
October 25, 2014
Exceptional selection and value is superb. Good communication and shipping.

Watch out for the shopping cart which has a tendency to lose your selections if you leave for awhile.

Highly recommended and will definitely use again.
Positive PhilaGardener
Outside Philadelphia, PA (Zone 7a)
September 15, 2014
This was my first year getting seeds from The Sample Seed Shop. Everything I planted had great germination rates and grew true to type. I will be a repeat customer for sure! Thanks again, Remy!
Company representative comment on September 16, 2014:
On Sep 16, 2014 8:57 PM, The Sample Seed Shop responded with:

Thank you for being the 100th review!! It is very special to make that milestone. A lot of orders went out to get to this point.
I'm glad everything went so well (99.99% of the time it does,) but I hope you and everyone else knows should you ever have a problem, we will figure out what went wrong and do our best to fix it.
Thanks again and Happy Gardening!

Positive valal
Natick, MA
September 12, 2014
I ordered a bunch of seeds for winter sowing and wasvery pleased with selection and my experience once I ordered. Excellent communication.....they let me know when seeds were beingmailed out (I had seeds in apprx one week). I liked the 'personal touches' as well (hand stamped seed envelopes) and would rate my experience a '10' and order again.

Looking forward to all my blooms next spring!
Positive missnatural
East Hartford, CT
July 26, 2014
I was looking for a vining summer squash, and found The Sample Seed Shop through Google. I ordered, and have since planted the Tromboncino squash, as well as a new (for me) kind of bean, Tennessee Greasy Mix.

All of the seeds arrived quickly and safely, even with a packet of Dinosaur Kale as a bonus. All seeds germinated with no problem at all, and are healthy and thriving in my garden. I am very happy with the quick and easy ordering and delivery. I have a small garden, and don't need 100 seeds at a time. Packets from Sample Seed Shop are small and very well priced. I have only good things to say about this company.
Positive hilomark
Homer, NY (Zone 5a)
July 19, 2014
A great company that I'm pleased is located in NY!

The Sample Seed Shop is going to be my new "go to" site for affordable, interesting, and some quite unusual perennial, annual, and vegetable seeds! I had great success with my first order. The information Remy provides in the online catalog is very helpful.

I have gardened for many years, but had gotten away from starting lots of plants from seed. Now with the Sample Seed Shop and Winter Sowing, I expect to have my yard PACKED with plants I have started myself.
Positive BarbK_FL
Indialantic, FL
July 11, 2014
Excellent Transaction; Super quick delivery; nice bonus pack; I am very pleased; For $20, (including shipping), it is amazing how many packets of seeds there were.
Positive quietone613662
Massena, NY
July 8, 2014
This is my second year ordering seeds from Remy and I have nothing but positive experiences with her.The seeds have a great germination rate.They produce beautiful healthy plants. She has a wonderful selection of perennials that grow in colder zone.Her seeds are reasonably priced and the bonus seeds are great.What gardener can say no to free seeds.
Positive donschia
Tulsa, OK
June 5, 2014
This is my absolute favorite place to order seeds. I am always impressed with the prices and amazing personal attention from the owner, Remy. Always a great selection, bonus pack thrown in for fun, seedcounts rounded WAY up :), and fast turn around time too.
Positive SHELBYCOREALTOR
Fairfield, AL
April 4, 2014
My order was correct. Received it in time expected. Will update if seeds do not germinate.
Positive mfallert
Ann Arbor, MI
April 1, 2014
nicely organized website, order was processed quickly, seeds are packaged nicely, very reasonably priced, great to be able to get small packs of lots of different kinds of seeds. This is a family operation and you can feel the personal touch in packing and shipping. I've planted most of my seeds, and all of them are sprouted and well on their way. Can't wait to get them in the ground!
Positive Tanyuu
Martinsville, IN
March 19, 2014
I've ordered from this company two times, and have been impressed both times with the fast turnaround time (which is notable due to the winter weather that was happening at the time), the labeling and packaging of the seeds, as well as the emails the owner sent out due to abnormally severe winter weather hijinks keeping me informed. I'll definitely buy from here again!
Positive Celene
Columbus, OH
March 1, 2014
Posted on April 14, 2013, updated March 1, 2014
I received excellent seeds and service. Love the seed packages!
On March 1st, 2014, Celene added the following:

Another year of excellent selection and service.
Positive Pussywillowpres
Withee, WI
February 3, 2014
The seeds arrived quickly and in good condition. The number of seeds in the packets was generous. It's too early to plant, so I can't comment on germination rate yet, but so far, so good!
Positive saradus
Maple Park, IL
November 2, 2013
Awesome Company! I came to The Sample Seed Shop just to have a look, and ended purchasing many seeds. The prices and selection are fantastic, seeds were shipped quickly, and a bonus pack was included. Many thanks.
Positive mare55
Abbeville, LA
August 1, 2013
Awesome company! Great seeds and great prices. I order seeds from 5 different companies, and this company is #1 on my list!
Positive ArkansasJack
Stuttgart, AR
July 26, 2013
great place to buy seeds
Positive django226
Austin, TX
July 18, 2013
I have been using The Sample Seed shop for over a year now and have been thoroughly impressed by the quality of the seeds, the germination rates and the superb customer service. The seeds are sold in small 'sample' sizes that usually run you from $1-2. I have had very good luck regarding the seeds sprouting and reaching maturity. You also always receive a free sample of at random (?) when you order from them. I can't say enough about this place...it is awesome-possum.
Positive DemelzaPoldark
Saskatoon
Canada
July 17, 2013
I have ordered seeds from Remy 3 times now. The service is always great. Delivery is fast, even coming to Canada. I have had good luck with the seeds. Packages are small, price is great! I will continue ordering from Sample Seed Shop.
Positive krissypoo
Long Beach, CA
July 17, 2013
very cheap seeds, prompt delivery, highly recommend. will definitely order again in future.
Positive mmercedes
Houtzdale, PA (Zone 5a)
May 3, 2013
I ordered almost $100 worth of seeds here this winter. At her inexpensive prices, that's quite a few packets of seed. This was my first order and it was easy and accurate. No problems. Everything arrived as it should. Although it is too early to report much more yet, so far I can happily report that her seeds are fresh... and the gerrmination rate is EXCELLENT... actually better I would say than many of the big megabrand companies.

It is a pleasure not to have to painfully shell out $4 and $5 for a packet of seeds. It's a no-frills website... no fancy pictures or foil packets... but THE place for the serious gardener who knows what they want. I am definitely a future customer for what she carries.
Positive DanInPA
Allentown, PA
April 12, 2013
Great selection and fair prices. Seeds were shipped quickly to me even during the peak of the seed starting season. I now have 11 tomato varieties germinating from Sample Seed Shop - very high germination rate so far. Will do business with again.
Positive ponyexpress
Lancaster, NY (Zone 6a)
April 1, 2013
I have ordered from Sample Seed Shop a couple of times now. It was a pleasure doing business with her both times! One order had an item out of stock. I was refunded and sent a bonus pack of seeds! Great prices. It is one of my favorite seed sources.
Positive val32
Santa Fe, NM
March 23, 2013
Posted on March 22, 2013, updated March 23, 2013
I just got my order from The Sample Seed Shop. I was very disappointed with them.

Three of the items i ordered were no longer available. It was disappointing but understandable.

Here is where the order went wrong. I was not credited for the order nor was i asked if i would like something else or my money back. Instead, they sent me "bonus seeds". Normally i would enjoy bonus seeds, but not bonus seeds i have to pay for! As for the bonus seeds, they sent me one that's a weed where i live. Another that wont grow where I live, and snapdragons. The seeds i ordered were perennials, and the replacement seeds they sent are except for the invasive and the one that wont grow here were annuals.

They have really good reviews a great selection and amazing prices, but after my experience i probably wont order from them again.

On March 23rd, 2013, val32 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

It seems the whole thing was a mix-up. Remy quickly responded and let me know what happened. It seems that the bonuses were not meant to be substitution items and i was refunded for the seeds that were not available. Remy also offered to send me the seeds when they are available.

Thank you Remy! You are a very good business person. We are all humans and mistakes happen.

I have changed the rating with The Sample Seed Shop to positive.

Company representative comment on March 22, 2013:
On Mar 22, 2013 8:14 PM, The Sample Seed Shop responded with:

Oh dear, you should of received a credit for the missing items! I'm very sorry if I somehow did not give you one.It was a complete error! I will try to figure out who you are, and send you a the refund you should of of received.
Bonus seeds are bonuses. The are definitely not paid for. I send often send extra bonuses when items are missing, and again they are not replacements. I do not do substitutions. I refund the money for any missing items. I do try to match the bonuses with where people live. I'm not a southern western expert by any means, but I would never ever purposely send a weed.
Please forgive the error.
Sincerely,

On Mar 22, 2013 8:21 PM, The Sample Seed Shop added:

I went and checked, found their name, and yes, I somehow skipped their name when giving refunds. Again I'm sorry for the error.

Positive pinusresinosa
North Branch, MN
March 23, 2013
Posted on February 8, 2013, updated March 23, 2013
Posted on December 12, 2012, updated February 8, 2013
I've been shopping at Remy's shop for a couple of years. I keep going back because the service is fantastic, the selection is wonderful, and Remy is awesome.

I follow her shop on Facebook, and any time she announces some new additions, I can't help but zip over to her shop and check them out (and usually snap them up).

The Sample Seed Shop is one of the best places, if not the best, to frequent for great seeds.

On February 8th, 2013, pinusresinosa added the following:

Another order down, another great experience. Love Sample Seed Shop!
On March 23rd, 2013, pinusresinosa added the following:

Remy, again... awesome service and a great bonus! Thank you!
Positive ClumsyGardener
Kula, HI
February 11, 2013
Extremely, satisfied with my order! AMAZING prices, pretty quick shipping (a little more than a week), and such charming personalized packaging... really cheered me up. Can't wait to start planting my seeds!
Positive poypoyking
Columbia Heights, MN
January 23, 2013
I ordered from Remy for the third time last week. I received my seeds yesterday and as always a bonus pack of seeds was added. Great selection, great prices, and prompt order fulfillment.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
January 7, 2013
I placed my first order a week ago (primarily for tomato seed and pepper seed) during the holiday season and received everything today- including a thoughtful bonus pack of seeds. The Sample Seed Shop has great prices, fast shipping, and quick responses to emails. Thank you, Remy and Nina, for the wonderful customer service - it is most appreciated!
Positive legallyheidi
Griffin, GA (Zone 8a)
December 9, 2012
GREAT service...and quick, reasonably priced shipping. I love that their prices are nice, and the quantities are great for a smaller garden...at times I've ordered from other places and I've ended up with way more seeds than I could use.
Positive rosemctier
Waynesburg, PA
December 9, 2012
I've ordered from The Sample Seed Shop several times and am always impressed with the quality of their seeds and the care with which they are packaged. Everything I ordered last year performed beautifully this summer. I just received my latest order and am drooling over the bonus sent (how did I miss THAT on the site?). I can't wait to get started on wintersowing and visions of annuals are dancing in my head :) As always, everything arrived within days of my order and was in excellent condition. Highly recommended!!