The scoop on 'The Sample Seed Shop'

The Sample Seed Shop

Green Star: Good The Sample Seed Shop is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

978 Riverview Blvd.
Tonawanda, New York 14150 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on November 21, 2010:
We are a family owned company started by a passionate gardener. We offer great seeds at inexpensive prices. From rare tomatoes to unusual annuals, we've got a little bit of everything, and hopefully something you must have for your garden.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive SHELBYCOREALTOR
Fairfield, AL
April 4, 2014
My order was correct. Received it in time expected. Will update if seeds do not germinate.
Positive mfallert
Ann Arbor, MI
April 1, 2014
nicely organized website, order was processed quickly, seeds are packaged nicely, very reasonably priced, great to be able to get small packs of lots of different kinds of seeds. This is a family operation and you can feel the personal touch in packing and shipping. I've planted most of my seeds, and all of them are sprouted and well on their way. Can't wait to get them in the ground!
Positive SeanGB1975
Bellevue, WI
March 24, 2014
Posted on November 23, 2013, updated March 24, 2014
Great experience so far! Excellent response time and personable customer service. Prices are some of the best I've seen. Highly recommended! New favorite :)
On March 24th, 2014, SeanGB1975 added the following:

Ordered for a second time, same personable and reliable service as the first time. Having great success with my first seeds! Everything germinated but my Monkey Ass tomatoes. Not sure if Remy is trying to tell me something...
Company representative comment on March 24, 2014:
On Mar 24, 2014 8:22 PM, The Sample Seed Shop responded with:

Oh no! But that was funny. I do have a small stash of them still, so I can send you another pack. I just need to know which Sean this is so I can send a new pack.

Positive Tanyuu
Martinsville, IN
March 19, 2014
I've ordered from this company two times, and have been impressed both times with the fast turnaround time (which is notable due to the winter weather that was happening at the time), the labeling and packaging of the seeds, as well as the emails the owner sent out due to abnormally severe winter weather hijinks keeping me informed. I'll definitely buy from here again!
Positive judyinmound
Mound, MN
March 1, 2014
Posted on January 24, 2013, updated March 1, 2014
Posted on May 29, 2012, updated January 24, 2013
Posted on March 18, 2011, updated May 29, 2012
Posted on February 18, 2011, updated March 18, 2011
My order came packaged well, the seeds look fresh, and they are VERY generous with their seed count (especially for the price). They have such a nice variety of items that it was hard for me to limit myself, but I did not hear of this company until I had placed large orders elsewhere. The shipping was very prompt. I received a much appreciated bonus seed pack.
On March 18th, 2011, judyinmound added the following:

Ordered a second time from them because I'm going to be going tomato crazy this year. =D Nearly all of the seeds have germinated, which includes vegetable, herb and flowers. I'm very pleased with the prices as well.
On May 29th, 2012, judyinmound added the following:

2nd year, 3rd order - still happy and satisfied with the shipping time and germination of quality seeds. Thanks. =)
On January 24th, 2013, judyinmound added the following:

This makes my third year of buying seeds from The Sample Seed shop - very pleased with the quality, service, and presence on facebook. =)
On March 1st, 2014, judyinmound added the following:

4th year of purchasing from Sample Seed Shop and still very pleased with this company. =)
Positive Celene
Columbus, OH
March 1, 2014
Posted on April 14, 2013, updated March 1, 2014
I received excellent seeds and service. Love the seed packages!
On March 1st, 2014, Celene added the following:

Another year of excellent selection and service.
Positive Pussywillowpres
Withee, WI
February 3, 2014
The seeds arrived quickly and in good condition. The number of seeds in the packets was generous. It's too early to plant, so I can't comment on germination rate yet, but so far, so good!
Positive LanfrancoLeo
Harrisburg, PA
November 21, 2013
Posted on November 12, 2013, updated November 21, 2013
I will keep updating the post, I am a first time customer for sample seed shop. I ordered a good amount of seed from Remy the owner of this company and I could not be happier so far...The reason because I am very happy with this company are actually 4:

1. The shipping is fast (less than a week from order to arrive)
2. Remy is ultra nice trying to accommodate the need of her costumers (I am the living proof)
3. The prices are really affordable
4. She alway have a nice bonus seed pack!

Soon I will update my experience about the quality of the seeds!!!
On November 21st, 2013, LanfrancoLeo added the following:

11/20/13 update, after around 4 days from sowing my phacelia campanularia (california bluebell) already germinate!!!! Proof that my positive comment was not wrong
Positive saradus
Maple Park, IL
November 2, 2013
Awesome Company! I came to The Sample Seed Shop just to have a look, and ended purchasing many seeds. The prices and selection are fantastic, seeds were shipped quickly, and a bonus pack was included. Many thanks.
Positive mare55
Abbeville, LA
August 1, 2013
Awesome company! Great seeds and great prices. I order seeds from 5 different companies, and this company is #1 on my list!
Positive ArkansasJack
Stuttgart, AR
July 26, 2013
great place to buy seeds
Positive django226
Austin, TX
July 18, 2013
I have been using The Sample Seed shop for over a year now and have been thoroughly impressed by the quality of the seeds, the germination rates and the superb customer service. The seeds are sold in small 'sample' sizes that usually run you from $1-2. I have had very good luck regarding the seeds sprouting and reaching maturity. You also always receive a free sample of at random (?) when you order from them. I can't say enough about this place...it is awesome-possum.
Positive DemelzaPoldark
Saskatoon
Canada
July 17, 2013
I have ordered seeds from Remy 3 times now. The service is always great. Delivery is fast, even coming to Canada. I have had good luck with the seeds. Packages are small, price is great! I will continue ordering from Sample Seed Shop.
Positive krissypoo
Long Beach, CA
July 17, 2013
very cheap seeds, prompt delivery, highly recommend. will definitely order again in future.
Positive mmercedes
Houtzdale, PA (Zone 5a)
May 3, 2013
I ordered almost $100 worth of seeds here this winter. At her inexpensive prices, that's quite a few packets of seed. This was my first order and it was easy and accurate. No problems. Everything arrived as it should. Although it is too early to report much more yet, so far I can happily report that her seeds are fresh... and the gerrmination rate is EXCELLENT... actually better I would say than many of the big megabrand companies.

It is a pleasure not to have to painfully shell out $4 and $5 for a packet of seeds. It's a no-frills website... no fancy pictures or foil packets... but THE place for the serious gardener who knows what they want. I am definitely a future customer for what she carries.
Positive Gully
Ellicott City, MD
May 1, 2013
Seeds arrived quickly and in very nice packages with artwork on both the seed packs and mailing label. Even though I had a small order, bonus seeds were included. A very nice experience!
Positive DanInPA
Allentown, PA
April 12, 2013
Great selection and fair prices. Seeds were shipped quickly to me even during the peak of the seed starting season. I now have 11 tomato varieties germinating from Sample Seed Shop - very high germination rate so far. Will do business with again.
Positive ponyexpress
Lancaster, NY (Zone 6a)
April 1, 2013
I have ordered from Sample Seed Shop a couple of times now. It was a pleasure doing business with her both times! One order had an item out of stock. I was refunded and sent a bonus pack of seeds! Great prices. It is one of my favorite seed sources.
Positive val32
Santa Fe, NM
March 23, 2013
Posted on March 22, 2013, updated March 23, 2013
I just got my order from The Sample Seed Shop. I was very disappointed with them.

Three of the items i ordered were no longer available. It was disappointing but understandable.

Here is where the order went wrong. I was not credited for the order nor was i asked if i would like something else or my money back. Instead, they sent me "bonus seeds". Normally i would enjoy bonus seeds, but not bonus seeds i have to pay for! As for the bonus seeds, they sent me one that's a weed where i live. Another that wont grow where I live, and snapdragons. The seeds i ordered were perennials, and the replacement seeds they sent are except for the invasive and the one that wont grow here were annuals.

They have really good reviews a great selection and amazing prices, but after my experience i probably wont order from them again.

On March 23rd, 2013, val32 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

It seems the whole thing was a mix-up. Remy quickly responded and let me know what happened. It seems that the bonuses were not meant to be substitution items and i was refunded for the seeds that were not available. Remy also offered to send me the seeds when they are available.

Thank you Remy! You are a very good business person. We are all humans and mistakes happen.

I have changed the rating with The Sample Seed Shop to positive.

Company representative comment on March 22, 2013:
On Mar 22, 2013 8:14 PM, The Sample Seed Shop responded with:

Oh dear, you should of received a credit for the missing items! I'm very sorry if I somehow did not give you one.It was a complete error! I will try to figure out who you are, and send you a the refund you should of of received.
Bonus seeds are bonuses. The are definitely not paid for. I send often send extra bonuses when items are missing, and again they are not replacements. I do not do substitutions. I refund the money for any missing items. I do try to match the bonuses with where people live. I'm not a southern western expert by any means, but I would never ever purposely send a weed.
Please forgive the error.
Sincerely,
Remy

On Mar 22, 2013 8:21 PM, The Sample Seed Shop added:

I went and checked, found their name, and yes, I somehow skipped their name when giving refunds. Again I'm sorry for the error.
Remy

Positive pinusresinosa
North Branch, MN
March 23, 2013
Posted on February 8, 2013, updated March 23, 2013
Posted on December 12, 2012, updated February 8, 2013
I've been shopping at Remy's shop for a couple of years. I keep going back because the service is fantastic, the selection is wonderful, and Remy is awesome.

I follow her shop on Facebook, and any time she announces some new additions, I can't help but zip over to her shop and check them out (and usually snap them up).

The Sample Seed Shop is one of the best places, if not the best, to frequent for great seeds.

On February 8th, 2013, pinusresinosa added the following:

Another order down, another great experience. Love Sample Seed Shop!
On March 23rd, 2013, pinusresinosa added the following:

Remy, again... awesome service and a great bonus! Thank you!
Positive ClumsyGardener
Kula, HI
February 11, 2013
Extremely, satisfied with my order! AMAZING prices, pretty quick shipping (a little more than a week), and such charming personalized packaging... really cheered me up. Can't wait to start planting my seeds!
Positive poypoyking
Columbia Heights, MN
January 23, 2013
I ordered from Remy for the third time last week. I received my seeds yesterday and as always a bonus pack of seeds was added. Great selection, great prices, and prompt order fulfillment.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
January 7, 2013
I placed my first order a week ago (primarily for tomato seed and pepper seed) during the holiday season and received everything today- including a thoughtful bonus pack of seeds. The Sample Seed Shop has great prices, fast shipping, and quick responses to emails. Thank you, Remy and Nina, for the wonderful customer service - it is most appreciated!
Positive legallyheidi
Griffin, GA (Zone 8a)
December 9, 2012
GREAT service...and quick, reasonably priced shipping. I love that their prices are nice, and the quantities are great for a smaller garden...at times I've ordered from other places and I've ended up with way more seeds than I could use.
Positive rosemctier
Waynesburg, PA
December 9, 2012
I've ordered from The Sample Seed Shop several times and am always impressed with the quality of their seeds and the care with which they are packaged. Everything I ordered last year performed beautifully this summer. I just received my latest order and am drooling over the bonus sent (how did I miss THAT on the site?). I can't wait to get started on wintersowing and visions of annuals are dancing in my head :) As always, everything arrived within days of my order and was in excellent condition. Highly recommended!!
Positive nolabee
New Orleans, LA
December 9, 2012
This seems like a really wonderful company! I received all of my seeds promptly and a few extras as well!! Absolutely pleasant experience and I recommend them highly.
Positive MNWildflower
Kasota, MN (Zone 4a)
December 8, 2012
I was so excited to receive my seeds yesterday!! I plan on using some of them for winter sowing. They arrived promptly & I love the "bonus" pack of seeds (thank you!!). I also loved the the snowflake sticker on the outside of the shipping envelope & the colorful stamps on the receipt. Those special touches are so nice. I will update again when my seeds start to emerge this spring.
Positive adadia
Glenmoore, PA (Zone 6b)
December 7, 2012
This is my second year ordering from The Sample Seed Shop. I can't say enough good things about this place: awesome prices, great varieties (especially tomatoes and flowers), quick shipping, nice little seed envelopes, very helpful descriptions in the online catalog. The only down side may be that the seeds are so cheap and the varieties offered are so appealing that it's very easy to get carried away and order too much! I got excellent germination on everything I started last year (it's a little early to report on this year's seed). The bonus packs of seeds are fabulous: last year I got some Orange Minsk tomato seeds as a bonus, and now it's my favorite orange tomato of all time! I can't wait to try this year's bonus tomato seed. The best part is it seems like Remy chooses a bonus pack of seeds to compliment the rest of the order, which is a really nice touch. Highly recommended!!
Positive timdotconnel
Oklahoma City, OK
November 21, 2012
You have to appreciate descriptions that sound like they come from a gardener and not a salesman. She has the biggest variety I've seen of odd colored and shaped tomatoes and at $1.25 a pack, I ordered more than I have room for as well as some peppers. I had to make a second order a few days later because the wife thought we should grow more than salsa ingredients. Both orders were shipped with bonus seeds that were hand picked based on what I had ordered and both were right on the money as far as matching my preferences.
Positive DonShirer
Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a)
November 6, 2012
Sample has a reasonable offering of both veggie and flower seeds at budget prices, so that one can experiment with new varieties without breaking the bank.

I ordered several flower and vegetable seeds from Sample last year and had mixed results, some very good but a few had disappointing germination. I didn't complain to the company since I didn't know if it was the seed or my planting practices that were to blame, but I did mention one problem in a discusion on a garden web site. Evidently the Sample people browsed that site, since they subsequently sent me a replacement packet on their own.

While I was going to order more seeds from them this spring anyway, their generous concern for their customers is very heartening.
Positive meghand
Lower Allen, PA
September 10, 2012
Great selection of seeds and I really like the descriptions. The affordability of Remy's seeds allowed me to try out some new things this year, which I really appreciated! She sent extra seeds, which was a wonderful touch! I'm already planning on what I want to order next year and wondering what's she going to add! Thank you Remy for a great experience!!
Positive DANIELGOOD
QUITO
Ecuador
September 6, 2012
Recently i placed an order with Sample seeds and i was pleased that everything i ordered arrived ok and the germination of their seeds is all going well.
DANIEL GOODE
Positive wildflowerhoney
Naples, FL
August 27, 2012
Great price. Super fresh seeds—some sprouted in a day! Fast and inexpensive shipping. Looking forward to buying more seeds from them.
Positive etnredclay
Spring City, TN
August 1, 2012
Incredibly low prices, great selection, & prompt shipping. The website is minimal, but I don't need fancy pages. I bought perennial flower seeds for winter sowing. Can't wait to get them in the ground. Best prices I've found on the web, and I've looked.
Positive mcsnail
Chicago, IL
June 28, 2012
Posted on May 1, 2012, updated June 28, 2012
A sensible amount of seeds for the home gardener at a wonderful price. And they actually gave me bonus seed packs that I wanted!
On June 28th, 2012, mcsnail added the following:

I also love the descriptions of the plants. No hype-and personal experience (or lack of) is related honestly. Sooo refreshing in this world of hucksterism.
Positive xiajade
Clearwater, KS (Zone 6b)
June 25, 2012
Order placed on the 21st, received today. Fast shipment, accurate order. Nice handwritten thank you note on double checked invoice. Seeds packed well. Thanks, Remy!
Positive blumenlieber
vancouver, WA (Zone 8a)
June 17, 2012
Posted on June 20, 2011, updated June 17, 2012
Received my order within a week. Remy is very very generous with the seed and that is greatly appreciated--tomato seeds are officially 15 per pack but the ones I've counted so far are closer to 25. She has such an array of tomato seed varieties (and peppers, flowers, squash, etc.) with helpful descriptions of each one, that at $1 a package I can afford to experiment and discover. Thank you, Remy!
On June 17th, 2012, blumenlieber added the following:

Excellent germination for all seeds. Thank you again, Remy!
Positive chumort
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
June 16, 2012
Very fast service. I really enjoyed the packaging and bonus seeds based on my selections. I would definitely recommend this seller.
Positive mudbugs56
Monessen, PA (Zone 6a)
April 26, 2012
Excellent service, excellent seeds, and I recommend them highly!
Positive taufgardner
American Fork, UT
March 8, 2012
Fantastic experience. Nice personal touch. Great germination. Could not be happier and will use Remy's company every year. I almost hate to add to the avalanche of positive reviews, because I'd like to keep this well kept secret to myself.