The scoop on 'B & T World Seeds'

B & T World Seeds

Route des Marchandes
Paguignan, 34210
(France)

Phone: ++ 33 04 68 91 29 63
Fax: ++ 33 04 68 91 30 39

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Neutral DavidLMo
St Joseph, MO
February 20, 2014
They have a HUGE list. Unfortunately much of it is unavailable. Or when available the quantity to be supplied and/or price will take your breath away. I have never found anything there that I truly want and can afford that is available.

Another gripe is that when a seed becomes available, they do not seem to email you. You need to go check your Wants List.

I have been looking all over for Madder (Rubia cordifolia) [among about a dozen other seeds.]. I checked out my Wants List and it was available! Yippee!!

NOT!

Smallest available quantity is 1,000 grams for 185 Euros. WTF!?
At ~ 130 seeds per gram - I really only want 50 seeds - not 130,000. Good Grief. ~ $ 250.

There are about a dozen firms that offer truly rare seeds that you might consider checking before you search B&T.
Company representative comment on February 20, 2014:
On Feb 20, 2014 6:33 PM, B & T World Seeds responded with:

Hi David,
Thank you for leaving a comment about B and T World Seeds.
eMails are supposed to be sent when seeds from our wants list become available, I will check to see if there is a problem. It is likely that some eMail agents will regard the notification as spam, as it is short and includes a link.
Every available species has 2 links from it's shopping cart page, and 2 links from it's information page, to a page where you can tell us if you want a quantity of seeds that is not listed, here is the link for Rubia cordifolia:
All the best, Matthew Sleigh

Positive WhiteDragon
Manchester
United Kingdom
July 25, 2013
I've used B & T for close on 5 years - some of the rarer ethno botanicals are available and quite a few are on the wanted list - doubt if anyone subscribes to the wanted list though in terms of supplying the wants so not sure about the value of it as a wish list.
In all my dealings they have been professional and very helpful, ok - price may have been on the high side and some of their suppliers may not be entirely scrupulous which I guess is difficult to monitor, overall they have given me good service.
Negative ransom3
Zephyrhills, FL
March 5, 2013
I have ordered some rarer type species of morning glory seeds from this company. Each and every packet, though labeled with the species name I wanted actually contained seeds of another species. For example, I order a double flowered I. tricolor ( they called Raffles) and I ended up with
something that looked like a common Crimson Rambler ( I. purpurea) when the plants bloomed. I ordered Ipomoea cairica and I received seeds of Ipomoea parasitica. B.T. sounds good, but buyer beware. They are very confused.
Neutral FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11)
October 2, 2012
Actually I see they have a long list of stuff and MOST of it is not available EVER...you can put it on your "want list" but you never seem to hear back from them, have had 6 types of seed on the so called want list for 3 years now...haven't heard a peep about them...don't suspect I ever will!
Not a single photo...who wants to go back and forth all over hither and beyond looking for plant pics? Besides you never really know on the web if those pics are what your looking for! Did the person posting them have the name right? I think if your selling something you should have a photo of it so we can make a real decission if that is what we want or if we should just guess? Come to think of it how do we know they actually know what they are selling if they don't have a photo? Maybe they are guessing?? After all it can take a few years to know if what you are growing is actually what you ordered.

Not to mention there prices are huge...holy smokes
Company representative comment on October 4, 2012:
On Oct 4, 2012 10:39 AM, B & T World Seeds responded with:

hi Pat

You only seem to have one type of seed on our wants list, I was collecting seeds from that species today. You can review and edit your wants list on your B and T account pages at any time.

Yes, our database includes over 100,000 species, varieties, subspecies, cultivars etc. regretfully quite a few of these plants are illegal in international trade, do not produce seed, do not come true from seed or are not grown or collected by our collectors or growers. We have reduced the number of items in our price lists over the last few years. For example, we no longer sell plants, and are now concentrating almost entirely on seeds - those plants are still listed on our database, even if they do not produce seeds that come true to form.

We publish several hundred different specialist seed price lists, with prices for seeds that are either seasonally available or currently available. Some seeds have very short viability, so may only be available for a couple of weeks a year. To avoid seeing unavailable seeds, it is possible to just browse price lists - each price list also has a page with links to plants with photographs.

1,594 of the plants in our lists have photographs or illustrations, some have several.

Some of our seed prices are crazy, some are crazy cheap (probably the cheapest on the web) others are outrageously expensive, where we are still purchasing seeds at rarity prices from specialist growers and collectors, when they are commonly available much cheaper elsewhere.

We have been acquiring seeds from many of our suppliers for 20 or 30 years, probably adding one or two new suppliers a year. And, if we find that a supplier is supplying poor quality seeds, or misidentified seeds, we cease sourcing from them. Some suppliers are idiosyncratic in their naming, but experts in their speciality. We use the current botanical names for all seeds, where possible.

I am sorry that you don't like our catalogue, if you have suggestions for improving it we are always pleased to hear them, and we do try to improve our service where possible.

Our specialist price lists:

Positive uomo
gent
Belgium (Zone 8b)
January 3, 2011
This company has got to be the one with the most rare seeds and most extensive seed list available.
Their website looks plain since it only contains a dozen pictures but that's why we have search engines. It's extremely easy to order.
The seeds which are in stock will be addressed as so. So you know when you order other seeds which aren't in stock that you have to wait until they can be harvested and collected by the company from those harvesters (since they sell seeds from around the world).
I don't mind the waiting because you know you've got to wait and can see your order status to follow it up, but this way you know you'll be able to get the best quality seeds; fresh and viable.
Their prices are rather steep; well it seems steep. They sell seeds in huge amounts or large bulks(grams) and when ordering seed package you'll not know how many seeds will be included. There are seeds which are sold with quantity; like they say 15 seeds, but when I received those seeds; it were 40 seeds; so this way the price is justified.
It's also one of those addictive companies; just looking up some species and see if they have them is an exciting moment.
Fast shipping, best quality seeds, great seed count, justified prices (better to pay a bit more knowing you get viable seeds than paying less but getting nothing in return) great website and ordering service and the most extensive seed list available.

This is one of those seed suppliers or seed companies you've got to order from for at least one time; but ordering once will result in more!!!

will definitely order some more!
Positive Menk
Darling Downs
Australia
July 5, 2008
A little slow both with communication and sending seed, but I understand that they source much of their seed from third parties, hence the delay at times. They try to deliver only fresh seed that is sure to germinate and we need to remember that seed is not always in season, so we may have to wait for someone to harvest the seeds that we require. Forwarding seed and packaging it all takes time.
They have an impressive list of seed and many rare plants that you simply can't get anywhere else on earth. I have always found them professional, ethical, and knowledgable.
One of my only criticisms is that many of the seeds are only available in bulk supply of 10 grams or more. Some countries have tight Custom controls and place a charge on large orders, making the seed too expensive for those who live in these countries. Surely this seed could be sold in packets. Most gardeners only want a packet of seeds, not enough to plant a crop.
Neutral kirsitn
(Zone 6b)
February 7, 2005
Ordered 3 species of Thysanotus. It took rather long time before I got the seeds, but I was informed about that in my confirmation e-mail. I only got 2 of the species I ordered, but I'm fairly happy anyway, since I haven't been able to find these seeds anywhere else.
Positive catalinetta
April 25, 2004
I ordered extremely rare seeds, possibly some of the rarest out there, and they arrived promptly. Before I ordered I had a few questions and Leslie (or is it Lesley?) got back to me very quickly after each email. I am planning a big order soon!
Neutral paracelsus
Elmira, NY (Zone 6a)
April 7, 2004
I have ordered from this company twice. Both times I called them in France to make sure that they actually had the seeds I wanted in stock because I needed them right away. Both times they said they did indeed have the seeds in stock--not as much as I wanted to buy, but enough. Both times they said they would send out my order right away but did not actually send it until literally three months later, by which time I had forgotten about it and gotten the seeds elsewhere. There was nothing wrong with the seed itself, just that it took them three months to send them. I have had this exact same experience with another French seed company not listed here, so maybe it is the way they do things there. If you order from them, keep the lag time in mind.
Negative silent7
September 1, 2003
I placed 2 orders, the first was half filled. The second order was for two different seeds, the second seed was nothing but twigs,leaves and no germination, it looked like they emptied the seed bin into a baggie and sent it to me. I used a razor blade to the split the pod to remove the seed, what seed there was. I emailed them and asked for a replacement order or my money back.I didn't hear back from them for two weeks. They said that was how long it took for the collector to get back to them. I asked for my money back, never got it, that was 2001. They have an an impressive list but again couldn't deliver the goods.
Positive clousseau_be
mechelen
Belgium
August 17, 2003
I've ordered from them several times, very good quality and exellent service. Highly recommended !!
If you are looking for that special seed you cannot find anywhere else, try them !!
Positive dianthusman
Pecos, NM (Zone 5b)
December 3, 2002
I've dealt several times from the USA with the folks at B&T, and they are helpful and knowledgeable. Their seeds are good quality, and they list many species and cultivars impossible to find anywhere else. Cavils: their prices are frequently high, and many of the offerings in their plantlists and on their Website are out of stock or unavailable (ALWAYS check with them before you place an order). But a nicer bunch of people you couldn't find anywhere. You owe it to yourself to visit their website.