The scoop on 'Legg Creek Farm'

Legg Creek Farm

PO BOx 43
Douglass, Texas 75943 (United States)

Phone: 9365563002

Comments:

Positive misaelphillip
Monroe, LA
August 17, 2014
I've purchased two apples trees and five mayhaw trees from these people and every single one of the trees is doing well. I've emailed with the owner about some issues with yellow leaves, and he got back with me a few days later - I needed to add some fertilizer. I've been really pleased I would recommend them. And the prices are better than what you can find locally. They were running a sale and the mayhaws were 5 bucks each!
Positive LindsayAdams
August 17, 2014
I bought 10 grapevines from from Legg Creek Farm 3 years ago. After a year of growth, the yard men mowed them all down! I was furious. I emailed with a guy (I think the owner) who said that these type of grapes would come back on their own if I watered them, fertilized them, etc. I'm happy to report that I am getting the first grapes off of them! So I am a happy customer!! Good product, plus great help after the sale.
Neutral paulm27
Oklahoma City, OK
June 16, 2014
Posted on May 25, 2014, updated June 16, 2014
In January of this year I placed a small order (3 pawpaw trees). The order was processed in a timely manner, I received my trees, planted them and they never leafed out. I am in no way a master gardener but I have had excellent results with other companies' products. I have sent them 2 emails now, one through my email and one through their "Contact Us" page on the website, never to hear back from them on their replacement policy. Perhaps this is an overlook on their part. It seems that others have had good luck posting here on this site. I will reserve a positive or negative feedback pending the results of this message.
On June 16th, 2014, paulm27 added the following:

An hour after i posted my comment i was contacted by email and given the opportunity for a refund or replacement this coming fall. I opted for the replacement.
Neutral StueyG
Conroe, TX
May 9, 2014
Placed an order with them a bit ago - and many of the trees I got did not grow. Have e-mailed twice so far and still waiting on a reply. After reading the other reviews it sounds like they are glad to help their customers. Hopefully can change this to positive later but still waiting on a reply.
Positive Trudie450
Huntsville, TX
April 3, 2014
Posted on April 1, 2014, updated April 3, 2014
It is with regret that I have even had to write this review and am doing it in hopes of having the company contact me because of this negative rating. I purchased several fruit trees in January of last year from this company. Two trees from the order never leafed out so I contacted them about it per their guarantee. They said they would replace them during the next season. When Jan came and I had never received my replacements I emailed them and the owner immediately responded saying he had forgotten, thanked me for reminding him and said he would take care of it. Never heard anything more. Several weeks ago (about the first of March) I sent an email through their website again inquiring on the replacements. No response. Last week (end of March) I called and left a message asking them to please return my call to help clarify their replacement policy on the fruit trees as I was trying to determine if I had misunderstood it or were they just ignoring me. To date I have heard nothing. A few moments ago I tried calling (4 times) the phone number listed on their website which produced a recording saying, "The number you are trying to call is not reachable." In essence I am hoping they will contact me because of this review that I am giving because at this point it seems to be the only way I have to reach them. If they had no intention of replacing the trees I would have appreciated their telling me so in the beginning as I have lost a whole growing season because of this.
On April 3rd, 2014, Trudie450 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After posting this comment the owner immediately got in contact with me and we are working towards a solution in replacing my trees as the ones I lost are no longer available. He was most generous in offering me double my money back to replace them. Since making money on an unintentional mistake was never my goal I preferred to substitute the trees so I would not miss another growing season. All businesses are going to have problems such as this from time to time. It is inevitable and just the nature of the business world. To me it is HOW a business handles these type of problems that truly determine the true integrity and nature of that business. All of the trees I ordered from them last year (with the exception of these 2) are beautiful and flourishing this year. Because of how the owner has handled this problem with me I believe he truly cares about his business and making his mistake right with the customer. In the future I would definitely order from them over other companies because I know if there is a mistake they will go the extra mile to make it right. In retrospect I realize that I should have posted a neutral review rather than a Negative one because, unlike many of the companies out there in the cyber world, Legg Creek does care "about making it right."
Positive margaret1965
Humble, TX
April 3, 2014
I purchased trees from Legg Creek Farm in 2012 and 2013 and I've been very pleased overall with the trees and my experience with the company. They were a little hard to get ahold of on the phone, but after a couple of tries I was able to talk to them. They seemed more responsive over email. The trees I received were larger than what I had paid for, so I was really pleased. They were large, branched trees and not just sticks like I've received from other mail order nurseries.

I did have two trees not make it from the 2012 season, but they included those, plus a free one, in my 2013 order, no questions asked. And the ones I got in the Fall are looking amazing - budding our already. So as soon as I find room, I'll order some more from Legg Creek Farm.
Positive TabbyL
Paris, IL
January 29, 2014
This is my second order from Legg Creek Farm and I can attest to the fact that they stand behind their guarantee. I had one tree from my first order not make it, but they replaced it without question and sent it with my order this year. All of the trees I've received from them have looked great and most have even been larger than what I paid for. I will continue to order from them until my orchard is complete!
Positive terri_emory
Alba, TX (Zone 8a)
January 16, 2014
I have ordered from Legg Creek three times now. I have been very pleased with each order. The packaging is good and the deliveries were as arranged. I have called for advice and their's has proven to be good advice for me and my growing area. I recommend them and will order from them again!
Positive James165
Palestine
United States
January 9, 2014
I've ordered from this company a couple of times, and both times I was pleased with the service and the trees looked amazing. They were bigger than what I had ordered. And after a year or two of growth I can say they are growing well. The customer service has been fine with this company. I've had pleasant dealings with the lady on the phone and the owner and I emailed back and forth a few times. He was knowledgeable and helpful. When I need more trees, I will use them again.
Negative jpineknot
Holiday Lakes, TX
January 8, 2014
In Oct. 2013, I ordered over $500 in trees from them with my credit card. They immediately charged my card, but I did not hear from them until late Dec., when I was told that the trees would be delivered on Jan 2. The delivery was as scheduled, but not as ordered. Ten hazelnut trees were deleted, ten Chinese chestnut trees were not available but were substituted by Allegheny chinquapin. One pear tree had the main roots cut off at about 8"-10" (3/4" diameter) with no secondary roots. Ten O'Neal blueberry plants were much smaller than I thought I had bought. Of ten brightwell blueberries, 5 were not very prolific plants but were over the 3' height and 5 were single stem, just over 2 feet.

After planting the trees, I called and expressed my displeasure. The lady called me back and said he was sending me a money order for the cancelled trees but that I should take my future business elsewhere. I won't have a problem doing that!
Company representative comment on January 8, 2014:
On Jan 8, 2014 3:46 PM, Legg Creek Farm responded with:

I was disappointed, but not surprised, by this feedback. Mr. Smitherman authorized us to charge his credit card in October. We also set up with him for delivery on December 30th, but he elected to have us ship the trees on that date rather than deliver them.

On the roots issue, we shipped thousands of trees with no complaints on the tree roots.

This is a customer who was looking to get the order free, which is what will happen - he has received the trees, and to calm his displeasure, we are giving his ENTIRE original purchase price back as a refund. Not a partial refund, as his review implies.

So he gets what he wanted - free fruit trees. It's sad that society has people like this in it.

Positive KaraBaker
Coleman, WI
December 17, 2013
I purchased some fruit trees for my grandmother from Legg Creek Farm. They were surprisingly high quality and very nice looking. I was provided with information on how to plant the trees and how to take care of them properly. I am very satisfied with my purchase. Thanks!
Positive Yazmine101
Miami Lakes, FL
September 22, 2013
I absolutely love apples. I usually eat apples once or twice a day and it was a pain to keep going out to the store to buy more. I decided to grow my own apples and I ordered a tree from Legg Creek Farm. I ordered the Granny Smith Apple tree and the Gala Apple tree. I love them so far. It's really nice to be able to go out into your backyard and grab a quick apple to snack on. I ordered the trees from Legg Creek Farm online and they arrived fast. Once they arrived I planted them and the apples soon followed. The apples are always fresh and I really like the taste of them. I actually think that they taste better than ones that are purchased in the stores.
Positive SchizotypalDev
Greensburg, PA
September 20, 2013
I've had an excellent experience with this company. All 13 of my trees are growing well, and they were very helpful when I called and asked for assistance. I plan on doing more business with them next year.
Positive Mhe34
Potomac, MD
September 14, 2013
I bought from these people last season and I have been very impressed with the trees. They are all growing very well. The lady on the phone was super nice and I emailed the main email address a few times and they always got back to me. Overall very helpful people and nice fruit trees.
Positive TXGardener78
July 17, 2013
I've ordered from Legg Creek Farm two years in a row. I am expanding a peach orchard south of Houston and I have had nothing but good experiences with them. The lady (ladies?) I spoke with on the phone were extremely helpful. I had two trees not make it from my first year order, and I received replacement trees the following year - no questions asked. I now have over 20 peach trees and they all look great. I will be ordering more this fall.
Negative JohnStephens
Alvarado, TX
June 2, 2013
Not for the inexperienced, buyer beware...
December 2011 i bought 28 fruit trees, grapes and blk berries. 7 died (4 never greened up and 3 died from neglect, not enough water) December 2012 i emailed them to ask what was included in the guarantee. I also wanted to buy 8 more for a total of 15. They never got back with me. I ended up buying about 20 more trees and 12 black berries from Lowe's and Home Depot (more expensive but they have that guarantee). I am disappointed when i run into people or companies lacking integrity.
Company representative comment on June 2, 2013:
On Jun 2, 2013 8:07 PM, Legg Creek Farm responded with:

I can assure Mr. Stephens that this had nothing to do with integrity. We have replaced many trees over the last few years, with no questions asked. His single email, sent in the days right before Christmas and when I (the owner) was out of town for a child's medical needs, was inadvertently overlooked It is entirely my error in overlooking Mr. Stephens's email, and I have contacted him to resolve this issue, including offering him a full refund for his entire original order.

Positive grnthumblady
March 21, 2013
I am very happy there is a website like this first off. I usually read reviews before buying. I have a green thumb kind of but not really. So i called the people over at Legg Creek Farm with all my questions and ended up ordering my trees. They were good, taller than expected. The shipping was perfect and before expected. And that they seem to be budding out for Spring already. I am really happy with my purchase and I will recommend them to others. Got a lot more than expected and I love great customer service.
Neutral mjplatt
February 19, 2013
I ordered 14 different fruit trees from them and asked for them do be delivered by a specific date. They did not arrive on that day, so I called and found that they had shipped, but too late to make the delivery date (they used the USPS). They were to be planted on our weekend place, which is about 230 miles north of where we live. This means that they missed the trip up there with us and had to be heeled in at our home for ten days after they arrived to await a return trip up there. I called and the woman was apologetic and checked with the owner as to whether this would work. We eventually got them planted. They are dormant, so it will be another month or so before we know if any or all survived.
Positive bamboobabe
Prattville, AL
February 18, 2013
A few weeks ago I ordered four fruit trees to add to my growing orchard from Legg Creed Farm. When they arrived the roots were very dry so I heeled them in immediately and emailed the farm with my concerns.

They immediately answered my email and said they would be sending replacements for the trees and that yes, it was possible that the ones I received could survive considering the time of year and them being dormant.

I told them that I would plant the trees I had heeled in in pots and if any or all lived that I would pay them for them as I do not want to rip anyone off.

I would really recommend this company, especially to southerners who may have a difficult time finding some of the fruit trees that do not do well in our climate. There are varieties that do very well, but finding them is very difficult. NOT ANYMORE WITH LEGG CREEK FARM!!!

Except for the dry root issue, the trees were very impressive and I can tell they are grown with care at the farm.

The prices are excellent, too. Most fruit tree nurseries want to take you to the bank, but NOT LEGG CREEK FARM Their shipping is also fair. They also send you a FREE TREE with every order!!! No one else does this that I know of and I've been buying trees and plants for four decades! Give them a try!!!
Positive mrssample
Old River-Winfree, TX
January 8, 2013
I absolutely love everything about this place! The owner even offered to drive to meet us when I told him we would be out that way around Christmas, but I ended up just ordering on-line. I received the trees in around a week or 2 and they look so extremely healthy. I am truly amazed. They had ran out of cherry trees, & immediately refunded my account, and even called and apologized. They answer e-mail's and phone calls really fast. If I had to own up to one single disappointment, it was they forgot my "free tree", but hey, I was thrilled with free postage, so I can't complain. I wish I had found them before I bought 67 other trees from other places. Definitely great place to shop!
Positive SoTX
Karnes City, TX
November 24, 2012
I received my first order of 6 peach and apricot trees--5 I ordered and 1 free. The trees are outstanding and the service is excellent plus low prices. Great place to deal with.
Positive trudyh
North Kingstown, RI
November 5, 2011
Posted on November 5, 2011, updated November 5, 2011
I emailed them four days ago, asking about a fruit tree they offer on the web, and didn't received a response. So after four days I phoned and got a somewhat unclear explanation from someone who had trouble expressing themselves.

The available options for the tree are two small sizes "grafted" and a larger size "branched," and I had not seen a mention of grafting elsewhere in the web for this variety and wondered why only the larger size apparently had branches and might not be grafted, etc. I still didn't know the answers to these questions after the phone call, but some extensive web searching leads me to believe grafting may be usual for this type of tree and maybe, I'm guessing, they may prune back the branches as part of normal pruning for the smaller ones.

I've crossed my fingers and, based on the positive rating in the one other review, ordered it anyway, since I would really like to get it planted before the ground freezes. I will update about what happens.

On November 5th, 2011, trudyh changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Update: they did get in touch with me, and I wound up canceling the order because of a mismatch between when they could ship and when it will freeze here. The guy was very nice and I got a prompt refund. I will certainly think about ordering other stuff from them next spring.
Positive GrowerGuy123
Tomball, TX
November 5, 2011
I live in the Houston area. I ordered some blueberry plants from Legg Creek Farm in early September while it was still hot. They shipped them quickly and I got them a couple of days after I ordered. The plants looked good and I planted them in my yard. With a little water, they made it to through the end of the hot weather without a problem. Overall, I am very pleased with this company, and I will be looking to order again.
Positive Frodobagins
Nacogdoches, TX
October 15, 2009
I bought some fruit trees from Legg Creek Farm last year in containers. I saw that he does not sell containerized fruit trees online, only bareroot. If the trees are anything like my containerized trees, they do great! Here in East Texas, the summers are MISERABLE and hot. The Methley plum trees I bought from Legg Creek Farm did great! As long as you water the trees when it gets dry (obviously), you should have no problem. They actually do well in the heat of our summers here. They should do well for you!