The scoop on 'Smart Seeds (smartseedstore.com)'

Smart Seeds (smartseedstore.com)

Smart Seeds (smartseedstore.com) has 310 products listed in PlantScout.

1440 Via Zurita
Claremont, California 91711 (United States)

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Positive BarbK_FL
Indialantic, FL
January 28, 2014
I've ordered from SmartSeeds twice in the fall and have only praise for this company. I found them by searching for flowering trees but have also purchased edibles.

Shipping is really fast and germination rate is really high.

Positive chicadoll
Pomona, CA (Zone 9b)
July 29, 2013
Posted on June 1, 2013, updated July 29, 2013
SmartSeeds has a wonderful selection of seeds that are hard to find else where. They also have a long standing reputation which I always look for in an online seller.
I had wonderful germination rates with my lemon cucumber, charentais melon, calotropis (100%!!!), zapotec tomato and purple podded peas! Really the best I have had in my few years of "urban gardening".
The germination guide that is sent with the order is wonderful and so complete. It helps with ALL seeds, not just the ones you ordered. I saved mine for when I start planning out my autumn vegetable patch.
I will definitely be going back to order some more wonderful goodies from SmartSeeds!
On July 29th, 2013, chicadoll added the following:

I received another order from SmartSeeds over the weekend. The shipping is incredibly fast! I ordered some kale, radish mix, spinach and french green beans for my autumn harvest. I soaked the french green beans Saturday evening and they are already sprouting! Talk about wanting to grow. I can't wait to harvest all these!
Positive jmj_57
Glen Burnie, MD (Zone 7a)
June 23, 2013
Posted on February 11, 2011, updated June 23, 2013
FANTASTIC!!! This was my first time ordering from Smart Seeds via their web site smart-seeds.com. Although the company is based in California, I received my seeds in Maryland 4 days after I placed my order. Their web site is gorgeous and very easy to use. My order arrived with the most meticulous planting instructions for the seeds I ordered and an information sheet titled "Germination Guidance". The wonderful information on this "Germination Guidance" is worth millions to me. It contains an incredible amount of information in a very clear and concise manner. The actual writing is better than in any gardening book I have read and far more informative.... all on one double-sided lime colored sheet of paper. The seeds come in 2-inch-square zip-lock type bags. You should be very careful opening the bubble-wrap mailing bag... the small seed bags easily fall out. I thought they hadn't packed one of the seed packets I had ordered but I later found that packet had slipped into the side of my shoe (yes, I know it sounds strange, but it happened) Perhaps they should enclose all the little bags you order into one slightly larger zip lock (maybe 4" square) bag and then the little bags won't scatter when you open the mailing bag. I will definitely order from them again.
On June 23rd, 2013, jmj_57 added the following:

I continue to LOVE this store. I have been ordering seeds from them for 3 years now. Shipping is very fast; seeds germinate almost 100%; the "Germination Guidance" section of the web site has been greatly expanded. This company gets better every year. Their upgraded web site is wonderful.
Negative FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11)
May 21, 2013
Posted on March 4, 2013, updated May 21, 2013
May have had a good shipping times but what is that worth if the seeds are a waste of time and energy? Had more than poor germination rates, hugely disappointed!
On May 21st, 2013, floridaheat added the following:

About 45 dollars worth...that's a significant amount of $$ in seeds you claim I never purchased!
Company representative comment on March 17, 2013:
On Mar 17, 2013 9:40 AM, Smart Seeds (smartseedstore.com) responded with:

floridaheat has never bought seeds from our store. She's an Ebay seller with a grudge. This pettiness does not belong on DG.

Positive Jenbabe1
Covington, LA
February 7, 2013
I have ordered seeds twice so far from this company and have been very satisfied with their service. My orders with shipped promptly and without incident and I received some freebies too! I would definitely recommend them and will continue to order from them in the future.
Positive MNWildflower
Kasota, MN (Zone 4a)
December 14, 2012
Excellent service! Received my order extremely quickly! Packaged very well with extra instructions regarding seed germination. Would definitely order from Smart Seeds again. They also included some bonus seeds--a wonderful surprise :o)
Positive Txtea
Fabens, TX (Zone 8a)
November 21, 2012
This is the first time ordering from Smartseed, I am so pleased to say this lady is very good to her customers. My order was the fastest I have ever recived from any mail or internet company. Three day from shipment to my home. Wonderful web site. Instructions included and not generic very well written. Very nice free pkg. of seeds, and a very big plus in my book personal signed thank you from M.(Mia) I would very proudly recommend this company.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
July 7, 2012
This is the coolest company! They carry wonderful hard-to-locate seed coupled with one of the quickest ship times around. I place my order on 7/3 and had it by 7/7 (and this includes the 4th of July holiday). All of the seed looks great and I was even sent an "extra" as a gift. Definitely worth ordering from!!
Positive vitrsna
Colima
Mexico (Zone 11)
May 22, 2012
jml_57...I couldn't agree with you more. this website is so well written, it is worthwhile reading whether you are ordering or not. the section regarding "germination" is brilliant, because the owner, Mia, presents information from the seeds' point of view rather than from the gardeners' point of view. the seed selection is fantastic, the entire website is instructive, and the ordering is easy for both USA and international customers. while you are at it, learn some things about the owner in the "about us" section and you will discover that she has quite a background and knows what she is talking about. definitely in my top two favorite seed companies and i haven't even received my first order yet. i will up-date when the order arrives but i expect nothing less than the best. i highly recommend this site. there are some rare seeds available here at reasonable prices.
Positive cics
Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a)
April 2, 2012
Ordered the tree wisteria, agave, rice, and aloe seeds. They came very quickly and were well packaged and included instructions. The wisteria seeds germinated quickly. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive Scooty
Peterborough
United States
February 20, 2012
Very reasonable prices and great service as mentioned in the previous comment.Also received a wonderful packet of penstemon seeds for free.