The scoop on 'Hartwood Roses'

Hartwood Roses

335 Hartwood Road
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22406 (United States)

Phone: 540-752-2795

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Positive grownsk
Star City, AR
August 11, 2011
Posted on June 13, 2011, updated August 11, 2011
I ordered 4 roses from this company....They arrived in good packaging although it was very hard to get the roses out of the box...The were a lot smaller than I had expected but having never ordered half gallon roses I was expecting somewhere between band and gallon...I feel the roses were closer to band size....the roots on 2 of the roses were poorly developed...one plant fell right out of the pot when unpackaging and the roots would have been lucky to fill a 4 inch container....That rose lost several of its leaves and is looking slightly sad although I have high hopes for it....I would recommend buying from this seller so long as you order with the thoughts of getting plants similar to bands in size....If you will order with that thought in mind you will be happy with your purchase....So long as the plants survive this post shall be positive and I will order from this seller again!! Happy Growing!
On August 11th, 2011, grownsk added the following:

Two of the roses I received died. Connie was quick to replace them with nice healthy plants, no questions asked. She is always quick to respond to emails. Would definitely recommend Hartwood Roses to anyone who wants a business with good customer service.
Negative sunsign5
Ipswich, MA
June 1, 2011
Posted on May 6, 2011, updated June 1, 2011
I received two lovely healthy roses. Good size and very carefully packed with no damage to plants in shipping. Lovely person to do business with. Will be buying again.
On June 1st, 2011, sunsign5 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Update on my purchase of two roses from this seller:

I purchased 1 Marie Daly rose and 1 Pink Gruss An Aachen rose. Both roses leafed out with yellow brown spotted leaves before I could even plant them. (black spot?)

I ordered a replacement Marie Daly rose from Chamblee's Rose nursery and received a nice fat bushy little rose from Chamblee with dark green leaves that is growing beautifully in my garden.

Most disturbing is the Marie Daly rose I received from Hartwood looks NOTHING like the Marie Daly I received from Chamblee's Rose Nursery. Leaves are sparse and larger and a totally different shape on the Hartwood rose.
As Chamblee's is one of the TOP rose suppliers available online, I assume the Marie Daly rose from Hartwood is mislabeled or diseased.

Both Hartwood roses are not growing well. The look weak and sickly. Just a stem with a few leaves when I recieved them. (guess you would call Hartwood roses BAND size?), although not stated as band size on their site.

Ordering from Hartwood is extremely cumbersome, as you have to wait several weeks for a respone and an invoice to pay for your purchase.

Regret now I was so quick to give a positive rating to this newer seller. I consider this $43.00 totally wasted, and I would not purchase roses again from Hartwood.

P.S. I also purchased a replacement Pink Gruss An Aachen rose from Roses Unlimited (another TOP rose seller) and it is just gorgeous! Full and bushy and blooming in my garden.

Learned my lesson to purchase from Chamblee's or Roses Unlimited in the beginning to get excellent quality roses.
Company representative comment on June 5, 2011:
On Jun 5, 2011 5:38 PM, Hartwood Roses responded with:

All Hartwood Roses are guaranteed to be healthy and to grow Ö period! In light of this customerís initial glowing review, there was no reason to suspect that she was dissatisfied with her roses. The first I heard of this dissatisfaction was when I was notified by Garden Watchdog that she had posted this negative review. If she had contacted me, she would have had her choice of replacement roses or a refund. This negative review is exaggerated and I am thankful to have the opportunity to reply.

The order that is the subject of this review was placed using the web site ordering system on 4/18/11, and it was shipped on the first shipping day of the 2011 season on 5/2/11 ... a date that was prominently posted on all web site pages showing roses for sale and on the Sales FAQ page. The web site clearly states that plants ordered and shipped early in the season may be smaller and less mature than plants that are ordered later in the season.

The ordering process at Hartwood Roses is as follows:

1. Customer places an order via the web site, email, or telephone.
2. The roses are pulled from inventory, and customer is notified.
3. Customer is sent an invoice via email. We do it this way because no one should pay for roses until the chosen plants have been evaluated and inspected for health and development. The customer can pay via PayPal or Personal Check if roses are to be shipped, or the roses can be held until an agreed-upon date for on-site pick-up.
4. Shipping day is the Monday following receipt of payment. In cases of extremes of weather, or customer request, shipping can be delayed.
5. Customer is notified that their roses have been shipped.

This customerís order followed all of these procedures. I am disappointed that this customer decided that posting disparaging remarks was preferable to giving me an opportunity to fix her dissatisfaction.

Positive carolinacindy
Rock Hill, SC
May 21, 2011
I ordered two roses. They arrived promptly, and appear healthy and in great condition. They were packaged very well. They are also larger than I had thought they would be. Communication was excellent and I am very pleased with the service and the roses.
Positive ellieblue
Colchester, VT
May 8, 2011
I just received two orders from Connie. The one to Georgia arrived overnight and the other going to Vermont arrived the next day. Both contained beautiful, lush green plants which arrived in excellent condition. I am tempted to buy more.
Positive rosesnpots
Virginia Beach, VA
May 14, 2010
I am close enough to Hartwood Roses to pick up my orders so I can not comment in regards to shipping. However, I did want to comment on the quality of their roses. I have ordered 5 roses and all are top quality "band" size roses that quickly grow once "allowed to spread their roots".
Hartwood Roses is a great place to get unique and rare roses on the east coast. I highly recommend them.