Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

The scoop on 'A Nearly Native Nursery '

A Nearly Native Nursery

A Nearly Native Nursery has 297 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good A Nearly Native Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

776 McBride Rd
Fayetteville, Georgia 30215 (United States)

Phone: 770-460-6284
Fax: 770-460-7050

Visit A Nearly Native Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 15, 2005:
We are a mail order site and retail nursery that specializes in Rare Native Plants, Trees, Perennials, & Palms. We offer great customer service and an experienced and educated staff that can answer any of your gardening or native plant questions.

We have a lot of hard to find native species that are available in too few numbers to have a permanent listing on our website so if there is something that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive kenandjill
Lawrenceville, GA
April 21, 2017
Posted on April 20, 2017, updated April 21, 2017
We had a great visit today at Nearly Native Nursery... We live in Lawrenceville, so it\'s not exactly next door, but it is definitely worth the drive just to speak with the nice people there... And the plant varieties there are great...

Today they helped us find some spotted Joe Pye weed, Arkansas blue star Amsonia and Iris Cristata \'Powder Blue Giant\'...

We look forward to returning and highly recommend...
On April 21st, 2017, kenandjill added the following:

We definitely recommend Nearly Native but please be aware that their hours are a little different... Right now they are open from Wednesday thru Saturday 9am -6pm... Check the website before your visit...
Positive scibi
Charlotte, NC
April 20, 2017
Discovering Nearly Native Nursery has turned out to be a delightful gift of this gardening season. I spoke with both Debi and Jim on the telephone and each of them is like a happy encyclopedia of plant information eager to share its contents.

I received my order very promptly. The plants were packaged in a most original manner which involved taping the plant containers to the inside of the heavy cardboard shipping box. It took me a while to unpack the plants, but the system works because every single plant arrived in beautiful condition with not a leaf out of place!

I recommend Nearly Native Nursery to anyone who wants to go native!
Positive Grinner
Peachtree City, GA
April 20, 2017
I enjoyed meeting Jim and Debi and loved wandering and learning about their plants. I'll be bringing my boys back with me next trip.
Negative TDogg77
Belle Vernon, PA
April 17, 2017
I called about ordering some plants from them and spoke to Jim who is one of the owners. He wasn't sure if he could get me what I wanted but promised to email or call me back. After a couple of weeks they didn't call me or email so I called again and spoke with someone else. She thought they may be able to help me but would email me later that day as to what inventory they had on my plants of interest. This is 3 days later and still no word from them. In short I give up on these guys. I guess they don't need my business. Very bad customer service on their part!
Positive devviepuu
Woodstock, NY
April 17, 2017
do not have enough words of praise for the easy and personal assistance i received from jim and debi at nearly native nursery. within a few hours of my phoning them to inquire about plant availability, it was boxed up and on a fedex truck, and that was including some confusion on where the best place to send the box to was over a holiday weekend. plants arrived in perfect condition and were well-packed.

jim and debi were friendly, kind, ready to offer advice and thoughts about the plants, and happy to give me a rundown of some other great stuff not currently listed on their website. even as a non-local shopper, cannot recommend enough.

Positive Haymph
Gold Hill, OR
April 16, 2017
I was looking for a native azalea r. prunifolium. A Nearly Native Nursery was the only nursery to have it available and could meet the transportation requirement to ship to Oregon with acceptable inspection certificates. They kept me informed on availability and eventual shipment by email and phone. The 4 plants I had ordered were received in excellent condition and packaging was outstanding. Selection, pricing, communication and shipment were excellent. I definitely will be using their services in the future.
Positive pickensmg
Jasper, GA (Zone 7a)
April 16, 2017
We selected Nearly Native Nursery to support our plant sale based on their reputation in the native plant world. Debi and Jim, the owners, exceeded all expectations for support and quality of plants. Their depth of knowledge about native plants made our discussions a real learning experience. We have already begun planning our next plant sale with their support. Come in as a customer, and leave as a friend. Stop in frequently to see the progression of seasons in their extensive gardens.
Positive earlybird0367
Hogansville, GA
March 11, 2017
Visited Nearly Native today and was thrilled to find amazing native plants. Thank you to Jim and Debi for the education and the great customer service. Would definitely recommend this nursery if you are looking for unusual native plants for the southeast. Cant wait to plant my witch hazel and hazelnut tree on our farm! Thank you again for an educational visit.
Positive techbiker
Plano,
United States
March 2, 2017
I recently purchased a fringe tree from Nearly Native Nursery. They provided wonderful service, quick shipping and an excellent price. I cannot recommend them more for hard-to-find native mail-order plants. Best of all, the tree arrived with an incredible root ball in a sturdy box with plenty of bracing.

A+
Positive philipc
Greensboro, GA
February 27, 2017
A must to visit. This is a great nursery and worth a few hours drive to go there, the owners are great people and very helpful, they will help you select the most suitable plants from their huge selection. They can normally show you the plants, fully mature in their own landscape so you know what to expect in a few years time. I would give this place a 5 star rating.
Positive csh1160
February 23, 2017
I went to Nearly Native today and expected to look around a few minutes during my lunch break. Over an hour later and a great education and experience with Jim, I plan on bringing my pickup truck back there during the planting season. Jim was very knowledgeable and I'd highly recommend his nursery to anyone who wants to add native plants to their landscape.
Positive Danielle_CCWA
Hampton, GA
February 2, 2017
Jim and Debi are excellent in every way. Not only did they take time out of their schedule to visit my site (Newman Wetlands Center) and assist me in choosing the best replacement plants for the privet we're removing, they were kind, educational, and passionate in every conversation, email, and visit we had. They have a great selection and their dedication to improving our natural spaces is inspiring. It doesn't hurt that their helper, Butters, is the cutest parrot ever.

Additionally, last year, I had a plant I purchased from them that wasn't doing well and one of their staff stopped by to help me figure out what was wrong. He even replanted it for me in a better location.

A Nearly Native Nursery is my favorite place to buy plants.
Positive ronbug4444
Sumter, SC
December 19, 2016
This nursery was wonderful to do business with. The email correspondence was great. I will definitely purchase again, because there are a lot of unique plants. I was not able to find the plant that I purchased (Neviusia alabamensis 'Alabama snow wreath') anywhere else.
Positive magma85
Oriental, NC
December 12, 2016
It was a real pleasure to interact with Dave at NearlyNativeNursery. He was very informative and helpful and gave advice and recommendations above and beyond. I love the work they're doing!
Positive LRDave
Marietta, GA
December 10, 2016
NNN is a great resource for both interesting native plants and knowledge. This is worth a trip if you are anywhere within 100 miles of Fayetteville.
Positive mppenn
Norcross, GA
November 19, 2016
Whether you have a lot of space or a little, if you are interested in native plants or passionate about transforming your backyard into a nature habitat, then a visit to Nearly Native Nursery in Fayetteville, GA is an absolute MUST! In April 2016 I was thrilled to discover this gem south of Atlanta in my online search to identify a lovely plant growing wild in the wooded area behind our home which turned out to be vaccinium arboreum. Another click or so led me to Nearly Native who had the plant listed for sale! Right then I knew I had found gold. Since then my husband and I have visited the nursery at least 4-5 times and they have worked with us to fill the unclaimed woods behind us with many interesting native specimen and host plants. Jim and Debi are truly a delight to know. As an added bonus, they are an invaluable and generous resource eager to share their knowledge and love of the earth. Meeting them sparked a profound paradigm shift in my own passion for nature, plants and my whole approach to gardening. Jim will tell you to read Bringing Nature Home by Doug Tallamy. Do it. Bottom line, in person (preferably) or online, go see Jim and Debi! You will be so glad you did. Be open to a life changing experience!!!
Positive LaurenOnTheLand
Sharpsburg, GA
November 4, 2016
My husband and I spent a wonderful couple of hours chatting with Jim and learning and admiring their beautiful plants. We took home a Silene polypetala (fringed campion) that is very happy in our yard. Our visit made me very excited about native plants and eager to plant more natives! Thanks for maintaining such a great place.
Positive BlairsvilleGA
Blairsville, GA
October 24, 2016
Very knowledgeable folks, very friendly, helpful. Good selection of natives which can be hard to find. Thanks for a great shopping experience hope to return soon!
Positive tjackson123
Senoia, GA
October 19, 2016
Amazed at this place and the folks that run it! I am a preschool teacher. I visited to find some plants that a cute little caterpillar had eaten at my mother's home. Not only was Mr. Jim able to tell me all about that plant, show me the plant, show me information in a couple of books about the plant, the caterpillar, and the moths they would become....he also gave my class an incredible little caterpillar to enjoy watching in our classroom! We have enjoyed watching the caterpillar and are seeing the entire life cycle right before our eyes! Go take a walk with Mr. Jim and see all the beautiful things he has to share! I'll be back for sure and will be recommending Nearly Native to everyone! Thank you, Mr. Jim!
Positive LenaBooth
October 4, 2016
Jim and Debbie are extremely knowledgeable and generous. They escorted me and my son around the nursery and answered many, many questions. The selection is huge. We specifically came looking for native fruit and left with plum, persimmon, blueberry, raspberry and strawberry. We also will try dwarf white oak (for their acorns) for the first time. Worth the trip! Support local business!
Positive jill1004
Duluth, GA
September 11, 2016
I drove over an hour to visit Nearly Native Nursery and it was well worth the drive. My garden is focused on native plants, so I really appreciate that a nursery focuses entirely on those plants. Everyone was very knowledgeable about not only the plants, but each plant's wildlife value. Their garden was full of butterflies and I even found a monarch caterpillar and egg on the milkweed! I love that they don't use pesticides and even allow caterpillars to much on their plants for sale! If you are looking for wildlife friendly native plants, Nearly Native Nursery is worth a visit!
Positive jackandjenny
Douglasville, GA
August 21, 2016
This was my first trip to Nearly Native Nursery and I fell in love with the people that work there and the variety of plants offered. The staff was very informative and helpful and I found everything and more that I was looking for. I will definitely be going back. Everyone that loves wildlife and plants needs to know about this place. It has opened up my world.
Positive lswanb
May 23, 2016
What a great find this place is! The nurseries in our area do not stock the native plants we wanted in our yard (Chokeberry Bush; Bottlebrush Buckeye; native rhodies) so we ventured down to Fayetteville and had a great experience at Nearly Native. They are extremely knowledgeable about native plants, and provided us with great solutions to tough areas by looking at photos on our mobile phones. All their plants were strong and healthy looking -- we highly recommend a visit! The Bairs from intown Atlanta
Positive sarah97
May 1, 2016
What a fun field trip, which included a drive past Evander Holyfield's house on my way from Atlanta. It's like a visit to a park with an expert at your side. I got so much great information, in addition to a bunch of great plants that I hadn't been able to find elsewhere. I highly recommend a visit!
Positive Silvermane99
Mcdonough, GA
April 29, 2016
My husband and I visited A Nearly Native Nursery last month and purchased some pollinator friendly plants, then returned today to purchase more. We were impressed with the scope of Jim and Debi's knowledge and their commitment to Georgia's flora. They spent a lot of time educating us, and showing their excellent collection of plants. We will be back in the fall to select a variety of plants that will bloom in successive months next year. With their help, our garden is amazing, colorful with hardy native flowers. Jim and Debi's individualized customer attention is fantastic. We have become friends because of their above and beyond commitment to excellence. Definitely recommend A Nearly Native Nursery.
Positive Plantgeekgirl
Marshall, VA
April 28, 2016
I have been using Daves Garden top mail order nurseries for years now. I have been very happy with the quality of plants from Nearly Native Nursery in the past but they went above and beyond this week. I ordered three chinquapin. Two arrive beautiful and one was stressed and did not make it after being planted. Nearly Native Nursery replaced it and it was at my doorstep within several days of my notifying them of the problem. Considering how busy nurseries are in the spring, this was an amazing response time. I have been gardening for 35 years and I am Master Gardener who teaches the public how to garden and I highly recommend ordering from Nearly Native Nursery.
Positive carolynauger
April 28, 2016
AMAZING place. Jim and Brian were extremely helpful. Love that all items are native and are pesticide free.
Positive PhillyLover
Philadelphia Suburbs, PA (Zone 7a)
April 21, 2016
Returning customer. Ordered several perennials and shrubs. Good sized plants for the price. Shipped well and on time. One plant died quickly after transplanting. I will notify them. Look forward to ordering from them again in the future.
Positive jdavis815
Griffin, GA
April 20, 2016
A beautiful nursery full of native plants for purchase and planted in their natural setting. The owners are helpful, friendly and I look forward to doing more business with them.
Positive Fran59
Corryton, TN
April 13, 2016
Posted on November 30, 2011, updated April 13, 2016
Received my order today and am so very excited. The plants are huge and healthy looking! I know they get really good reviews here on DG, but I never dreamed the plants would look this good. The help with order selection was wonderful too - I spoke with someone very nice when trying to make my selections. Then today spoke with Jim as I had a couple of questions concerning planting. Super people!!! I\'ll definitely be ordering again :-)
On April 13th, 2016, Fran59 added the following:

4/12/2016 I placed another order for spring 2016, and 'Nearly Native' has again exceeded my expectations! This is a great place to order plants. I highly recommend them :-)
Positive tks102446
Oxford, GA
April 12, 2016
Great company! I drove over an hour to get there, and it was worth the trip. Jim gave me a great deal of information on butterfly plant hosts, native trees, and local problems from animals in the area. The lesson alone was worth the trip. I also was able to purchase a couple of trees that I have looked for several years. Beautifully landscaped
company garden. Thank you.
Positive Dohrmc
April 10, 2016
Yes, it is a long drive from where you live. It is worth it! One of the best nurseries I have ever seen. It is unlike any big box nursery for sure. Lots and lots of special plants to enjoy. It is on the comfortable size for a nursery, and the owners could not be more helpful.
You will almost certainly find something to bring home, so you might as well prepare the trunk before you set out.
A couple of years ago, I made my first trip down there, and came home with some Indian Pinks flowers. They have thrived, despite little care. It makes a difference if your plants are native to the area!
I just returned from another expedition to N.N.N., and have a number of new beauties to plant. I will be expanding my garden with hardy plants that like the South-and also some more Indian Pinks.
Highly recommended!
Positive karenhdaniel
Alpharetta, GA
April 7, 2016
I live in Johns Creek, and drove in Atlanta traffic for nearly 2 hours to visit Nearly Native. Jim was patient and careful to explain the care needed for the plants I purchased for my fledgling butterfly garden. He showed me a personal video he had taken of wild azaleas in Alabama covered with Tiger Swallowtails. He truly appreciates and believes in the value of planting natives. Wonderful experience - just wish it was closer!
Positive wildcraftflower
Sharpsburg, GA
April 3, 2016
The owners of Nearly Native Nursery are the most knowledgable plant professionals that I have ever purchased plants from. They are extremely helpful in guiding you towards plants that will be successful in your specific garden or natural environment. Beyond providing knowledgable customer service and an excellent selection of native plants they are active in the incredibly important work of preserving and protecting our native plant species through education and through their incredible native plant sanctuary located at the nursery. You can feel good about supporting native plant preservation by choosing to purchase plants from them. It is worth the trip just to stroll through their gardens and see native plants, both common and threatened, along with special wild selections. As a native plant enthusiast and plant professional myself, I highly recommend Nearly Native Nursery.
Positive sharonmatson
Newnan, GA
March 24, 2016
My husband and I stopped by NNN yesterday for the first time.
We enjoyed walking around and looking at the unique native plants. Really excited about finding many plants which I do not see in the box stores. I bought a few things and anxious to purchase more when they have them in the fall. I will also continue visiting during this summer to see blooming of plants and flowers. Their property is so much like ours, with lots of shade. We have many native plants also growing in our yard....lucky I guess....Jim and Debbie made us feel right at home.
Positive rrenner001
Chickamauga, GA
March 21, 2016
I had been searching for a sassafras tree in the Chattanooga area for some time, with no luck. I finally found one on the Nearly Native Nursery site. An email requesting more information was quickly returned, and I called and ordered from a friendly and very helpful representative.

Just a few days later, a tall, very sturdy box arrived with my little tree. It was packaged incredibly well, and it was just as nice a tree as the helpful sales rep had described it to be.

Planted it a week or so ago, and it is looking great. We look forward to watching it grow and will come back for more plants!
Positive bradman79
Grovetown, GA (Zone 8a)
March 20, 2016
I ordered a few trees and perennials for my native plant collection. I received all of my plants in great condition - moist, secure, and healthy. It's easy to see this nursery takes pride in the products they provide. I would definitely use them again in the future.
Positive DyanS
Cumming, GA
March 15, 2016
I ordered two hard to find maple-leaf viburnums from A Nearly Native Nursery. They were very helpful via email correspondence. I received my shrubs the next day after my order and they were very well-packaged and a good size for the price. They've been in the ground about a week and they are leafing out and looking good. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive miketropic
Sanders, KY
March 13, 2016
I had been wanting to order from this company for awhile and finally got around to it a few weeks ago. They were the only seller of the plant I wanted. I contacted them by phone and the person who answered was very helpful. I asked if they sold the plant in a larger size that was not listed and they did, it was just the right size to ship and in bloom as well. Shipping was fast and affordable. The plant arrived in great condition and I was very pleased with it and its over all health. Great company to deal with and I will be ordering again from them in the future.
Positive shpfitz
Brownsboro, AL
February 14, 2016
Fantastic selection and customer support! I have ordered from Nearly Native twice and had a great experience both times. The plants arrived as scheduled and in excellent condition.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]