The scoop on 'A Nearly Native Nursery '

A Nearly Native Nursery

A Nearly Native Nursery has 300 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good A Nearly Native Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

776 McBride Rd
Fayetteville, Georgia 30215 (United States)

Phone: 770-460-6284
Fax: 770-460-7050

Visit A Nearly Native Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 15, 2005:
We are a mail order site and retail nursery that specializes in Rare Native Plants, Trees, Perennials, & Palms. We offer great customer service and an experienced and educated staff that can answer any of your gardening or native plant questions.

We have a lot of hard to find native species that are available in too few numbers to have a permanent listing on our website so if there is something that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral enviroplanter
Spring House, PA
May 26, 2015
Posted on April 5, 2015, updated May 26, 2015
I ordered 6 Viburnum acerifolium which arrived in excellent condition. The packaging was difficult to undo (as others have noted) but the plants were a good size and well rooted. While their website is awkward to use (no online ordering), they have plants not available elsewhere and I would order from them again if the need arises.
On May 26th, 2015, enviroplanter changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

For some strange reason, most of the Viburnum acerifolium have not made it. Some that I ordered from another nursery and planted in the same location are doing fine. Very disappointed. Won't order from them again.
Positive Claudya1
Columbus, GA
May 11, 2015
I was impressed with the quality of the plants and the very careful way they were packaged for shipment. The staff were helpful and informative. I have recommended this nursery to all of my gardening friends. I will do business with them again.
Positive djl7890
Aurora, OH
May 11, 2015
Have used two straight years. Plants are doing fine and the staff is very helpful. Would highly recommend.
Positive Cherylap
Germantown, TN
May 11, 2015
I have been a native plant enthusiast for years but have struggled to find a reliable source for harder to find items. Finding Nearly Native Nurseries has been a great delight. Their catalog is amazing to review. Their collection is extensive. They are friendly and helpful on the phone. Best of all however is that the plants I received were even better than I imagined they would be. Packaged well, they were of size and condition that exceeded my expectations. Pricing was very good And shipping was fast. I will definitely be using them again and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a reliable, knowledgable source for natives.
My only regret is that I do not live a bit closer so I could visit in person. I hear it is quite an experience.
Positive amallen
Johns Island, SC
May 11, 2015
Found native plants here that were either too expensive or not available in local nurseries. No one knew about osmanthus americanus (devilswood) except Nearly Native. All arrived in great condition, ahead of schedule and are doing well. One problem-they suggested the devilwood was deer resistent but deer muched leaves within three days of planting. I've now begun regular repellant program so the plant should recover quickly. Plants from other suppliers have also been promised as "deer resistent" but they have been chewed to ground within hours, notably Joe Pye weed and bee's balm. Latter has come roaring back but no sign of Joe.
Nearly Naive people are very polite and positive both on the phone and in writing. I now have a question with them waiting for an answer but this must be an extremely busy time. I'm sure they will get to it soon. .
Positive cysco
Locust Grove, GA
April 30, 2015
Today I visited Native Nursery to purchase 3 pink mulhly grass. I met Jim, who is extremely nice and very knowledgable!!! I WILL be returning! I also had the pleasure of meeting Jim's wife Debbie who is so polite! I can't wait to go back! If you haven't been to Nearly Native, I highly recommend going, you will not regret it!
Positive FarmerCharlieB
Auburn, AL
April 26, 2015
I had purchased three Georgia aster plants at our local arboretum plant sale last fall, and this month I decided to add a few more in the same location. I found only two sources in Dave's search. This one was more expensive, but was within driving distance, so a friend and I decided to make a day trip yesterday. The visit was both fun and educational; Jim and Debi spent lots of time with us. The difference in price was more than made up for by the quality of the plants and the personal attention. A couple items were technically not in stock, but Jim made a special effort to personally go dig some up for me. The only problem was that I wound up buying too many other plants, and then my helper didn't show up for work today. My 75 year old back is a little sore from the driving and the digging, but my spirits are high. If you live within two or three hours drive, the trip is well worth the effort.
Positive Ashar
Atlanta, GA
April 10, 2015
Jim was so helpful, from the moment I got lost trying to find McBride Road using navigation and Google Maps, Jim stayed on the phone with me giving me directions until I pulled into their driveway.. (make sure to use "Mc Bride", with a space if you use Google Maps). I arrived 15 minutes to their closing time of 6pm, but Jim stayed with me until 8pm, showing me around the entire place, teaching me everything he could about plants. You won't get that type of customer service anywhere nowdays. He definitely knows his stuff and I would recommend Nearly Native Nursery to everyone.
Positive chief751
Yates Center, KS
April 5, 2015
I ordered two sassafras trees. The trees arrived in great condition due to careful and secure packaging. The trees are beautiful and healthy. I could not be more pleased. These folks took time to visit with me on the telephone, answer my questions, and pick two nice trees to send to me. I highly recommend Nearly Native Nursery!
Positive auroraaura4
Marietta, GA
March 30, 2015
I purchased 2 vaccinium arboreum from Nearly Native, but also had a great time learning about all the plants they have on their property. I will definitely be back for more plants as I build my garden at my new house!
Positive woodburnaia
Dublin, GA
March 23, 2015
Nearly Native was extremely helpful and professional from beginning to end. I found them through the Dave's listing, in search of native plants for middle Georgia for a non-profit's community park. With me being a little more than a typical retail customer, and definitely not a landscape professional, Debi did a wonderful job filling my knowledge gaps, helping me finalize an order within budget. Their selection was more than I could hope for in trees, shrubs and perennials. When they did not carry some fruits we wanted for an orchard, Debi helped me find those, too.
Although they were technically closed, they arranged to meet us on our schedule.
We picked up our order using our own vehicle. They provided expert packing and loading. Plants were as described and expected. In a couple cases, root-bound plants were honestly described ahead of time, with a discount applied.
Having been in the ground a few weeks, all seem to be thriving.
I am working now with Nearly Native on an order for my personal use.
Thanks Debi.
Positive Mizzy
Horse Shoe, NC (Zone 7a)
March 22, 2015
The trilliums I ordered were shipped as promised and arrived in tip top shape. The packaging was excellent although a bit of a Chinese puzzle in order to get them out of the box but entirely manageable! I also appreciated the dialog re: "Eco" cultivars and Don Jacobs. No question I want to do business again with Jim & Debi who take the time to get to know their customers a wee bit. It is rare in today's business world. That alone would bring me back! I love natives and it is good to talk with folks who not only sell them but also are knowledgeable and love them too!
Positive peggyk411
Spanish Fort, AL
March 14, 2015
Our Magnolia Macrophylla aka Bigleaf Magnolia,were shipped same day and arrived next day. Packing was outstanding! Heavy cardboard box, root balls wrapped in moisture cover then in plastic sheet that was taped to side & bottom of box with this side up marking on box. Arrived in great shape! There is always a concern when ordering on-line but Nearly Native is top class. We have been searching for these trees nearby with out luck. So glad we found Nearly Native. They were very responsive to our calls & questions. I recommend them 100%
Positive palmdoctor11
Lizella, GA
February 24, 2015
I had saw an older availability list for Sabal bermudana on a google search for nurseries who may carry them. Nearly Native Nursery came up and I was heading up towards Atlanta that next day and thought to myself ... "why not stop in and see if they still may have one." It was not too far off the route of travel so I decided to go. That day I stopped in at the nursery and it was neat and tidy with a quaint country feel too it. Had many unusual plants that can not be found elsewhere. I came across a gentleman named Jim who owned it and he was very informative. He was a really cool guy who knew his stuff. He was "down-to-earth-eco-friendly". Jim will help you find what you are looking for or at least find you alternatives. My Sabal bermudana was sold out but he offered me some other unique rare eco-types of Sabal for sale. After making a purchase of a Sabal louisiana he was so kind to offer me a few small palms as a bonus. I highly recommend him and I believe you will be as happy as I was. Pay him a visit. You will be glad you did.
Positive Gianinatio
Austin, TX
February 5, 2015
Really great company. Friendly and knowledgeable to deal with, outstanding unusual and well grown plants, well shipped, with great information and follow-through.

I will DEFINITELY purchase from them again and recommend them to anyone.
Positive stephoutside
Morrow, GA
January 23, 2015
Nearly Native Nursery is a fantastic community resource! Their plant selection is extensive and the owners, Debi and Jim are a delight to work with. Friendly, professional, and a wealth of knowledge, they happily take the time to discuss exactly what will suit your planting needs....I will definitely be returning!
Positive sionnach
Collegedale, TN
January 3, 2015
Great selection of unusual plants. Good size, quality. Excellent service--they were willing to re-pot, or newly divide several items that were not already available in their selections. The website is not up to date--most of the things I wanted, which were listed on the website as out of stock, were actually available or they were willing to divide for me on site.
Positive Elihu
Brooklyn, NY
December 9, 2014
Beginning a year ago, we began replacing our garden of invasives and weeds with native plants, after first ordering (and being very happy with) 3 native honeysuckles we got from Nearly Native (replacing Japanese barberry). The deal we made was: you design our garden and we'll buy the plants you suggest from you. Jim did, and we did. He told us that we'd have something blooming almost year-round. The plants came well-established and carefully wrapped (almost too carefully) and most of them survived last year's awful winter even though I planted them in a November rainstorm, without uprooting the weeds, and I couldn't see what I was doing.. Many of the plants he suggested are unusual, at least in Brooklyn. And a year later, in mid-December and after a hard frost, amazingly some stuff is still blooming. We are looking forward to the spring.
Positive wbanks
Locust Grove, GA
December 4, 2014
A great selection of plants and a friendly knowledgeable staff!
Positive tbone1984
Chapin, SC
December 4, 2014
I ordered two Nyssa Sylvatica trees from Nearly Native Nursery. The trees arrived very well packaged and in great shape. Both trees look very good along with the root systems. I have also spoke with them by phone just to get some planting advice and they were very helpful and answered every question I had.
Positive aarondalton
Nashville, TN (Zone 7a)
November 11, 2014
First order from Nearly Native Nursery.

Ordering process is a little cumbersome (you can't order online directly, but must call and/or fax your order).

That said, it gave me a chance to talk with Debi and Jim, both of whom were really friendly and helpful. Customer service gets an A++ rating here!

IMHO, plant prices are excellent. Of course, shipping costs can be painful, but I'm sure Nearly Native Nursery is just passing on their own costs for (very sturdy) boxes and shipping.

Shipping was very fast. Even considering that I'm in Tennessee and Nearly Native Nursery is in Georgia, I was shocked when plants arrived the day after shipping! This was great and I'm sure the fast shipment minimized transport stress.

Plants were very carefully packed and arrived without damage. If I have any complaint it is that the packing was so strong (paper, surrounded by plastic and packing tape) that I had a hard time unwrapping some of the plants.

Generally speaking, the plants were large and established. A couple of them (particularly 3-gallons) seemed root bound, but I did some root pruning and hopefully they will do OK once established.

Nearly Native Nursery has a wonderful selection of plants that are native to the Southeastern U.S. and I really appreciate the fact that I could obtain some plants like Viburnum obovatum, straight species Juniperus virginiana and Osmanthus americanus that are generally impossible to find locally and even hard to find at most mail order nurseries.
Positive rpdoerr
Louisville, CO
November 10, 2014
I have ordered nursery stock, mostly trees (magnolias, Black Tupelo, etc) from Nearly Native Nursery on two occasions and will be placing another order with them for spring, 2015. This nursery (also on site and retail) stands among the elite and is hands down one of the very best I have ever dealt with. They have a huge variety of plants, vines, shrubs and trees, including palms, many rare and hard to come by in the nursery trade. Their nursery stock is well-sized, healthy, packaged to perfection and always arrives when requested and in top-notch condition. Everything I have ordered from them is growing and thriving. Their pricing is more than fair. The owners, Jim and Debi, provide impeccable customer service and are from a horticultural perspective very knowledgeable (extensive descriptions for every item they sell), not to mention helpful, courteous, honest and reliable, the latter two traits ever more difficult to find in the online nursery trade these days. They always add a personal touch to every order. I would unequivocally recommend Nearly Native Nursery to anyone looking for a totally positive online nursery ordering experience. As evidenced by their countless numbers of very satisfied customers (astounding as it sounds, apparently not even one unsatisfied customer), they don't disappoint. If they have what you're looking for, order from them with peace of mind. You'll be glad you did and become a repeat customer.
Positive NativeOrganic
Bowie, MD
October 20, 2014
My Asclepias plants arrived in excellent condition, with lusty root systems. It was a litle difficult to remove the wrappings, but I don't suppose there is any way to make that more intuitive. I also received a lovely personalized note, thanking me for my order. I will definitely order from here again.
Positive mikie1
Mcdonough, GA
October 7, 2014
This is a first class nursery and a wonderful resource. This is a must for anyone in the south Atlanta area!!!!!
Positive kgriffit
Ludowici, GA
July 27, 2014
Great variety of native plants at reasonable prices. I was looking for butterfly, hummingbird, as well as berry plants to feed the birds in the winter and wasn't disappointed. My hummers have already given their plants an excited nod of approval!
Positive JRGil
Jackson, GA
July 25, 2014
My wife and I have visited Nearly Native twice, and left with a great feeling of having found a great source for information, practical knowledge, history, and of course, a great source for native plants. Our interest is attracting butterflies, bees and birds to our gardens in central GA and south FL. The folks at NN are just great. I feel guilty taking so much of his time (an hour each visit) but at least I am buying some great plants, some of which are hard to find, and nearly endangered. We share so much info and experiences with him, it is hard to just walk away. Jim and Debi are doing a great job, are wonderful, knowledgeable people, who I hope will be around for a long time. If you just want to browse on your own, it is very easy to do because everything is identified and price is clearly shown on computer printed plant tags which help us when we get home with our new plant treasures. We live about an hour away but will make this trip on a monthly basis to visit and see what is new at NN.
Positive jbcousins
Carrollton, GA
July 2, 2014
My experience with NNN has always been positive. My 1st order was a pick up and the second was shipped. In both cases the plants were in good condition and healthy. I have not lost a single plant that I've purchased from NNN. The packaging of the plants was perfect.
Positive pzuzu
Turin, GA
July 1, 2014
My first two visits at Nearly Native were a week apart. Both times I spent at least an hour talking with Jim, the owner. And both times I left empty-handed. What was amazing was that I never felt pressured to buy a single plant! I learned so much from him during our talks and was able to go home, process the information, and do a little extra research of my own. Everything I was taught was spot-on and even more insightful than most of the available information online. Clearly, Nearly Native not only cares about their plants and their business, but also about educating their customers, especially those inclined to learn...as I was. They have helped me start creating a formal garden out of native plants as opposed to alien ornamentals (yes! it's possible!). I have already gone back three more times and made several purchases. Also, Jim has helped me identify several species growing on my property I have always been curious about and never been able to find online!!! The man is like a walking encyclopedia. Now I can identify everything growing on my acre of land and know exactly how to care for it.

One other really neat thing about this nursery: I love being there. It is basically a garden in itself, full of winding trails, hills, ponds, and lots of inspiration. Most of the plants they carry in stock are actually planted near the pots they sell, so you can get a really good idea of what it will look like when mature. WOW! That is such a cool feature! I have not seen that done anywhere else!
Positive bdavenport
Dunwoody, GA
June 14, 2014
Absolutely Awesome experience! It was a true gift to be able to talk with Jim and learn about native plants that would work well in our woodland area. We are beyond excited and eagerly look forward to fall and winter when we can purchase trees, shrubs and plants that will make our yard even more attractive (to us and to wildlife!). Special thanks to Jim who patiently spent so much time teaching us about plants that would work well in our area. (Please accept our apology for delaying your lunch for soooo long!) I would also like to thank Debi, who so promptly (and so helpfully) responded to our calls and emails and helped us to best set up our trip to the nursery. A Nearly Native Nursery is a wonderful gift to the Atlanta area. As our sprawl increases, it is reassuring to find such a wonderful source for native plants. We can not wait to return!
Positive yaddie
Jonesboro, GA
June 9, 2014
Had a lovely return trip here. They are so helpful and full of information about the plants I took home.
Looking forward to another plant run soon.
Positive jojob
Little Rock, AR
May 18, 2014
I purchased a rare Ben Franklin tree from Native Nursery. My initial email to them was answered within a day (which is rare) and they were exceedingly friendly and helpful throughout the process. The tree arrived in perfect condition and it is thriving. I give them a triple A!
Positive PelaGirl
Pelahatchie, MS
May 13, 2014
Posted on January 31, 2013, updated May 13, 2014
I had found that they carried pipevines and ordered some. It involved some e-mailing back and forth for information. They were wonderful. The plants were in great shape when they arrived and were packaged securely
On May 13th, 2014, PelaGirl added the following:

I ordered Common Milkweed recently. The plants are incredible. NNN was wonderful to deal with; personal service and advice. Super, super experience in dealing with them.
Positive jimecope
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Positive sndavisATL
Atlanta, GA
May 12, 2014
I was looking for a Grancy Graybeard (North American Fringe Tree) and did some online scouting to find that this nursery sold relatively large young trees. I went with the intent of just getting a tree, but ended up speaking with the owner for a long time and left with a tree and several plants (all of which are thriving at my house). Everyone is very knowledgable and they take their time with you - I learned so much! I will definitely be going back and recommending this nursery to everyone that I know.
Positive wmarine
East Newnan, GA
May 10, 2014
I have been wanting to visit this nursery for quite a while, finally a friend and I made it today and it is wonderful. The plants, the atmosphere, I just loved it. Jim was so friendly, knowledgeable. He even talked to us about the snakes he has inside and let me hold one, who was beautiful, but didn't seem to like the smell of the lotion I had on my arm!!
I bought a couple of wild Bergomots and will definitely be back and I'm bringing my landscape designer with me next time!!
Positive floradora
Astoria, NY (Zone 7b)
May 2, 2014
Ordered a Kentucky Yellowwood quart size by phone. The lady who took my order was very nice and pleasant even though I wasn't spending much. The tree arrived when promised. It is healthy and was packed very carefully. This company made me feel like it genuinely appreciates its customers. Looking forward to doing business with them again in the future.
Positive oljones107
atlanta
United States
April 30, 2014
The proprietors of Nearly Native were outstanding in assisting me with a Earth Day project I organized for my job. They are extremely knowledgeable of the plants they have at their nursery and they genuinely care about the plants and how they will be taken care of after they are purchased.

I live on the other side of town, however Nearly Native will always be my nursery for flowers and plants.
Positive natedbrbr
Franklin, TN
April 23, 2014
Ordered a serviceberry (Amelanchier Arborea) and spicebush (Lindera Benzoin) seedlings last year. Nearly Native was very good at keeping me informed during the process, explaining options for tree size, shipping costs and more. My plants shipped during one of the coldest Januaries in years so I was a little concerned. All the plants arrived well packed and in good shape and they have all since budded out and look perfect. Couldn't have been a better experience.
Positive nrwilson
Aldora, GA (Zone 8a)
April 16, 2014
I would like to thank Nearly Native. My husband and I had a wonderful first experience. Both Jim and Debi took a considerable amount of time talking to us about what type of trees would best fit our needs and growing and soil conditions. The trees we purchased are large and healthy, the prices are terrific and the number of varieties offered is impressive, to say the least. The atmosphere is educational and relaxing. There is so much to see and you must visit Butters, the macaw, who perched on my arm while we shopped. We will DEFINATELY be repeat costumers. I highly recommend Nearly Native and I cannot wait for my next visit.
Positive RoosterBoy
Burgettstown, PA
April 14, 2014
This is the first time I have ordered from Nearly Native. My expectations were far exceeded. They were very personable. There was an issue with my order due to weather and a cold winter, and they sent me an e-mail to explain the situation, offered a solution, and helped me to make a good decision based on my planting season.

I ordered 4 pawpaw trees from them and they were beautiful! I have tried from several other companies in the past without success. These trees were carefully packaged and were very healthy on arrival. I have been thrilled and eagerly await the weather to break to see them growing! If I can find some good sites for more, I will certainly order again next year!