The scoop on 'A Nearly Native Nursery '

A Nearly Native Nursery

A Nearly Native Nursery has 300 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good A Nearly Native Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

776 McBride Rd
Fayetteville, Georgia 30215 (United States)

Phone: 770-460-6284
Fax: 770-460-7050

Visit A Nearly Native Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 15, 2005:
We are a mail order site and retail nursery that specializes in Rare Native Plants, Trees, Perennials, & Palms. We offer great customer service and an experienced and educated staff that can answer any of your gardening or native plant questions.

We have a lot of hard to find native species that are available in too few numbers to have a permanent listing on our website so if there is something that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive nrwilson
Aldora, GA (Zone 8a)
April 16, 2014
I would like to thank Nearly Native. My husband and I had a wonderful first experience. Both Jim and Debi took a considerable amount of time talking to us about what type of trees would best fit our needs and growing and soil conditions. The trees we purchased are large and healthy, the prices are terrific and the number of varieties offered is impressive, to say the least. The atmosphere is educational and relaxing. There is so much to see and you must visit Butters, the macaw, who perched on my arm while we shopped. We will DEFINATELY be repeat costumers. I highly recommend Nearly Native and I cannot wait for my next visit.
Positive RoosterBoy
Burgettstown, PA
April 14, 2014
This is the first time I have ordered from Nearly Native. My expectations were far exceeded. They were very personable. There was an issue with my order due to weather and a cold winter, and they sent me an e-mail to explain the situation, offered a solution, and helped me to make a good decision based on my planting season.

I ordered 4 pawpaw trees from them and they were beautiful! I have tried from several other companies in the past without success. These trees were carefully packaged and were very healthy on arrival. I have been thrilled and eagerly await the weather to break to see them growing! If I can find some good sites for more, I will certainly order again next year!
Positive Roybk
Houston, TX
April 14, 2014
Very helpful
Courteous
I love the personal touch
Positive vboss
North Decatur, GA
April 13, 2014
I found an excellent selection of native species. The plants were healthy, and the owners were extremely friendly and helpful.
Positive jsecrist
Fayetteville, GA
April 5, 2014
Jim, our engaging host while visiting Nearly Native, was very friendly, knowledgable, and patient. He gave us lots of helpful information as we strolled around the natural setting nursery looking at native to Georgia plants. We will return! If nothing else, to visit the charming pet blue and gold macaw who lifts a claw as an indication he wants to be picked up....all in all a surprisingly delightful visit.

Positive valivingmuseum
Newport News, VA
March 24, 2014
This is the second time we have dealt with nearly native nursery. On both occasions nnn has supplied us with the native plants we were searching for. The plants have always been delivered in excellent condition and have been wonderful additions to our grounds. We would recommend nnn as a supplier of native plants.
Positive mgaunt
West Des Moines, IA
March 24, 2014
Ordered three Needle Palms from Nearly Native back in January before they switched everything up to the next pot size for the season. The plants that were delivered are absolutely gorgeous and far bigger than I expected. They worked with me to make sure the plants shipped during a relatively warm week.

Like many nurseries, the plants were shipped without pots, but the rootballs were so massive and well developed they didn't need them. I grabbed some #10 containers from a friends local landscape business and potted them up myself.

Living in Zone 5, Iowa, these plants are a bit of an experiment in overwintering. If I can figure out how to keep them alive this far north I'll be getting additional plants from Nearly Native to fill in a few more spots.
Positive mali102
Elmont, NY
March 22, 2014
I purchased the Turk's Cap Lily and Indian Pink in 2012. Knowing the difficulty of getting both plants to flower their first year, I waited and in 2013... Indian Pink Blooms! Waiting on the Turk's Cap, but that's expected. Alive and well they all are.

They are the best and I will continue my exploration into perennial goodness with them.

On a side note, I completely miscalculated (over) how much my order was worth and they corrected it without hesitation. Excellent company.
Positive squizrl03
March 18, 2014
I visited Nearly Native Nursery for the first time on a cold and windy day in early March. Jim was more than happy to spend time with me on a tour of the grounds, and stopped to give backstories on many of the plants on the site. As most of the items were still in the 'dormant' stage, there was not much 'bling' to be had, but Jim made the visit both informative and productive. I learned a lot about how they made the plants ready for market, and the care that they took to ensure that the customer got the best possible product for their situation. I also got a strong sense of Jim's passion for maintaining the environment in as natural a state as possible. I left with a few groundcovers, and will be back in the near future for a few plants and a lot of knowledge.
Positive memays
Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b)
March 10, 2014
Posted on June 16, 2013, updated March 10, 2014
I visited NNN yesterday, and it was a great experience - I was in search of butterfly host plants, and had read about NNN and was delighted to learn it was an easy drive from Atlanta. When I got there, Jim was very patient, answered all my questions, showed me each variety of plant I was interested in so that I could see what the plants would look like after growing in my garden, and even dug up a plant I was interested in, when it was not already in a pot. I plan to return in the fall - may take some friends along as well.
On March 10th, 2014, memays added the following:

I returned to NNN this weekend, and had another great experience - bought wild blue indigo, coral honeysuckle, red bottlebrush, and indian pink. The only damper on the experience was the husband who came along, and arbitrarily refused to allow my proposed tree purchases.
Positive Asteraceae
Athens-Clarke, GA
March 2, 2014
A native plant grower and activist myself, I'd been planning to visit in Nearly Native person for over a year. What a surprise and treat to bump into the president of the Georgia Plant Society there shopping this weekend as well. She remarked "you drove here from Athens, two hours away?". All I could say, is Nearly Native is the Mecca for all Georgia native plant worshipers. The trip is a pilgrimage. It was a real treat. I've never seen so many species in one place, and the Rogers have encyclopedic plant knowledge. GO THERE!
Positive blessed2348
Cave City, KY
February 1, 2014
Received excellent product. Superior shipping. Hard to find plants. Appreciate their customer service and attention to detail. Pleasure doing business!
Positive cathduf20
January 30, 2014
I visited Nearly Native with visitors from Portland, OR. Dave gave us personalized service to help us choose plants native to our area for a permaculture project. He and his wife were very knowledgeable about the plants in their nursery, spending as much time as we needed, helping us pick out plants that would thrive in the Altanta area and give us unique bio-diversity.
Positive annhelen
Townsend, GA
January 27, 2014
This company was very good about letting me know exactly when to expect my order, and who the shipper would be. Also, they made sure I would receive my order before the weekend (when they would have languished in the PO. The plants (trees, shrubs) I received had a very impressive root system, so they should thrive. I will recommend this nursery and will order again.
Positive kmoliver23
Athens, GA
December 30, 2013
Simply put NNN has the best selection of quality native material and the owners Jim and Debi are very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. I am restoring a property and looking to maximize plant diversity and NNN has many species I've not seen elsewhere in the trade.
Positive kincaidgarden
Tampa, FL (Zone 9b)
December 18, 2013
I couldnít be happier with the 2 trees (a Black Gum and a Florida Maple) I recently ordered from A Nearly Native Nursery. Debi helped me greatly in the selection process, after a few emails and speaking to her on the phone I was left with the feeling that Nearly Native really cares about the customerís wants and needs which seems so rare nowadays. My trees arrived at my home in Florida 2 days later, in excellent condition; both the seven gallon and the 1 gallon were packed securely and looked very healthy. I look forward to seeing them leaf out in the spring and hope to place another order with them soon, I only wish I lived closer so that I could visit in person. If you are considering mail order, go for it. A great company and really nice people!
Positive SarahT089
Kensington, NY
December 1, 2013
Debi and Jim are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. After losing a 100-year-old tree in October, we decided to seriously redo our front yard. My husband found Nearly Native and was so happy with their selection, help and service that he sent me there. Jim asked good questions about our needs and wants and then worked with us to draw up a new design for our front yard that uses all native plants to provide beauty, shade and food for local birds. When we ordered, everything was carefully and promptly shipped, and they were there to answer every question. When they ran out of a particular plant, they sent one from their own stock.
Now, all we have to do is not kill them (the plants) and wait for them to bloom in the spring.
Thank you, Jim and Debi.
Positive BarshKate
Tucker, GA
November 20, 2013
I visited in person and learned so much. I bought the large, healthy shrubs I had intended to buy and received expert advice for the shrubs I need for another area. Jim gave me a great tour of the property and I got so many ideas for my own garden.
Positive postoak7
Statham, GA (Zone 7b)
November 19, 2013
Sent them an inquiry about a week ago to check availability. Received a quick response and ended up placing a small order. Very nice looking semi-bare root plants arrived quickly and in great condition. Set them out the next day, just ahead of a cool fall rain.
Positive saefern
Naval Academy, MD
November 18, 2013
Found our Pignut Hickories that don't exist in nurseries in our area (MD, PA,VA,DE). Reasonable sizes and prices. Quick response with detailed info. Shipped on time and planted that day. Freight charges were less than anticipated.
Positive leneb
Hendersonville, NC
November 18, 2013
Being a new resident of western North Carolina, I needed to find Chalk Bark Maple trees. A Nearly Native Nursery had them! Received my three trees perfectly packed and they were planted on the full moon! Excellent service and I will be buying from them again. Thanks Nearly Native! Arlene
Positive GrtGrandms
Newton, NC
November 17, 2013
After inquiring about plants via e-mail, which was answered promptly, I telephoned to order on a day they were closed, but I left my name and number. My call was returned, I placed my order and had a nice chat with Jim about some native plants I'm missing in my current location. He shipped the plants the very next morning, and they arrived via FedEx yesterday. Hubby and I got them into the ground, watered, and mulched, and I'm looking forward to new growth in the spring. The plants were actually taped to the inside of the shipping box so as not to shift around, but this did make for some work in getting them out. Now if I were living where I owned the land and had more space, you can bet I would be ordering more "goodies" from A Nearly Native Nursery. Highly recommended.
Positive oldpeepaw
Jefferson City, MO
November 17, 2013
They had what I wanted, in abundance. Very polite communications, very knowledgeable answers and the feeling that they're there to help. I think I would call them first when I need a particular plant. Excellent service!
Positive 718wpdl
Decatur, GA
November 14, 2013
Well worth the drive (from Decatur). Were looking for a particular big leaf magnolia and ended up with it and one more to try plus a couple native azaleas we had not tried yet. Jim took much time showing off his trees and plants. Wonderful to see many of his full grown trees to get an idea of where to put them in our own space. Very knowledgable and passionate about native plants. We will be back with a longer list next time.

Note to anyone tempted to try to eat a whole ghost pepper fresh off the vine with Jim, don't do it! My husband did and was sorry :) Couldn't find enough sweet tea on the ride home to cut through that....
Positive chassell
Suwanee, GA
November 11, 2013
Posted on May 17, 2012, updated November 11, 2013
Debi was ready and waiting with my (somewhat unusual) order for a nature center garden renovation. NNN is the go-to place for native plants -- including the grasses I wanted for this renovation that will become a demonstration garden. Information, questions answered thoroughly and cheerfully, top-quality plant stock: these are the hallmarks of every experience I've had at NNN.
On November 11th, 2013, chassell added the following:

For a second project, Debi and Jim were truly helpful in providing information about selections that will work in an area of the garden that is in high shade and quite dry. Since it was a pretty good-sized order, they had assembled it beforehand. The quality of the plants, as always, was top notch. NNN is a wonderful source for native plants -- and the knowledge to go with them to make a better garden. Thank you, Debi and Jim!
Positive kordwood
Huntington, IN
November 10, 2013
I have dealt with nearly native twice now and the experiences have been great! They are very knowledgable and very professional. I have ordered trees from other online nurseries before and the quality from nearly native is above and beyond anything I have received before. I will be using nearly native any time I want good quality trees at a good price.
Positive susanabrz
Mableton, GA
November 2, 2013
Two friends and I drove over an hour to visit the Nearly Native Nursery in Fayetteville, GA. We purchased three trees and some ground cover. We were all blown away by Jim's knowledge. He spent about an hour and a half with us. He showed us growing examples and discussed pro's and con's of each. I have already highly recommended his nursery to three friends and my entire HOA. My friends and I have discussed returning in the spring for more native goodies. If you don't visit this nursery you are missing out on some great plants and knowledge!
Positive eswhiten
Fayetteville, GA
October 28, 2013
My husband and I were looking for "privacy plants", but wanted something a little more interesting than box hedges. The owner and his wife not only spent an hour educating us on the different options available and the care required for each; they made us feel as welcome as old friends. We went home with a trunk full of beautiful species, and they look amazing in our yard! We will definitely be regulars here!
Positive MGMellie
Douglasville, GA
October 25, 2013
Posted on June 16, 2011, updated October 25, 2013
Nearly Native has quite a variety of native plants. A walk around the grounds lets you see the plants growing in-ground and the owner was generous in sharing his considerable knowledge about the plants. A well-spent afternoon.
On October 25th, 2013, MGMellie added the following:

Jim has made some excellent suggestions for plants that will survive in the rooftop garden I design and maintain.
His experience and knowledge of native plants is appreciated, and he and Debi make a visit to Nearly Native Nursery a treat,
Positive senoralexander
October 20, 2013
Bought a wild olive and some ferns. Jim was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I will recommend this nursery to my friends. Worth the drive from ATL!
Positive snadmus
Decatur, GA
October 19, 2013
Posted on October 21, 2012, updated October 19, 2013
Posted on June 2, 2012, updated October 21, 2012
We visit the NNN year after year because the plants they have provided us with have thrived in our yard and their knowledge & joy in growing them is contageous. Their gardens are amazing and their plant selection is a welcome change from the big-box hardware store garden centers.
On October 21st, 2012, snadmus added the following:

We just made our fall trip to the NNN and came home with some really unusual, beautiful plants. Can't wait for them to thrive.
On October 19th, 2013, snadmus added the following:

Went to Fayetteville for our annual fall visit to Nearly Native Nursery. Gina and I were there to pick out some trees to celebrate our 3rd anniversary. Visiting Jim & Debi feels like dropping in on old friends. We learn, talk and wander the garden picking up great ideas. We always come home with some really fantastic plants that we can't wait to get established in our own garden. Thanks for helping us go native and have a great time doing it!
Positive scrubwren
Bethpage, TN
October 17, 2013
I ordered two different dogwoods that I was unable to find anywhere else. The trees just arrived. First I received an email from Debi at Nearly Native confirming whether shipping now would suit me. Very friendly correspondence and I appreciated the heads-up the trees were coming. They were very well packed, & arrived via fedex. I assumed they'd be bare-root, but instead they came with a lot of soil around the roots. Everything looked very healthy and the trees are good size. Will definitely buy again from them! great selection!
Positive katehamm
Nashville, TN
October 6, 2013
I ordered five native trees from Nearly Native. I appreciated the email in advance letting me know when they were ready to ship. They arrived in really good condition & are in the ground, doing well :)
Positive mcampbe1
Lilburn, GA
September 14, 2013
I came to this nursery to find a specific plant for a research project that no one else seemed to carry. I was so glad I found this place! Not only did I find my plant but I had a great time. Jim and Debi are absolutely wonderful! They really know their stuff and are the most helpful people you could ask for. I will definitely tell others about their nursery and I will make more trips in the future!
Positive DebbieDew
Arnoldsville, GA
September 4, 2013
Jim was very helpful with the plant selection process. I was looking for a specific holly - Yaupon Holly - and he had it in stock! The price was good and Jim was able to advise us on the best planting location and soil characteristics. We also purchased an Oglethorpe Oak which was great considering that is our home county. My husband added a "George Peabody" Thuja to the mix! Debi also introduced us to their friendly Macaws. Thanks for being so helpful and flexible with the late night pickup as well! Debbie and Bill Cosgrove Arnoldsville, GA
Positive robertatilson
Landrum, SC
August 19, 2013
Debi and Jim are fabulous! I'm a professional gardener in the foothills of the western Carolinas and I had a difficult project going. The site was uncompacted fill with a difficult exposure. The homeowners wanted native plants, including a devilwood tree, at the end of the season, literally. Not only did Debi stay in close contact concerning what stock was available, she also had great subsitutes ready to go. Since it was too late to ship, we had to drive to Fayetteville through Atlanta (don't rely on google maps)and became incredibly lost. Debi stayed with us on the phone while we backtracked, and when we arrived she had everything ready, including cold drinks for us. Jim potted plants for us as we loaded, and they even gave us a reemay blanket for transporting the plants home safely. I feel like I made new friends, and I recommend them highly.
Positive hothotpepper
Great Falls, SC
August 5, 2013
Sent an email and called and talked to the folks about ordering a particular plant. They were helpful and worked in a last minute shipment for me which I really appreciated. Plant looks good and I will probably order from them again.
Positive cynthiagw
Newnan, GA
July 27, 2013
We purchased banana plants from Jim and Debi and it was wonderful. I loved talking with them and will be buying from them again in the future. Definitely go to them if you want something different and need good advice on plants.
Positive childs04
Griffin, GA
July 8, 2013
They were very informative and helped us decide on the right plants for our lakeside lot. We learned so much from our visit and look forward to learning more in the future as we will be purchasing from them again!
Positive ForkedDell
Senoia, GA
July 8, 2013
Have been shopping with Nearly Native Nursery for years
Jim is very knowledgeable and always ready to help with advice and suggestions

Have never had any problems with plant quality or customer service

Highly recommended