The scoop on 'A Nearly Native Nursery '

A Nearly Native Nursery

A Nearly Native Nursery has 300 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good A Nearly Native Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

776 McBride Rd
Fayetteville, Georgia 30215 (United States)

Phone: 770-460-6284
Fax: 770-460-7050

Visit A Nearly Native Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 15, 2005:
We are a mail order site and retail nursery that specializes in Rare Native Plants, Trees, Perennials, & Palms. We offer great customer service and an experienced and educated staff that can answer any of your gardening or native plant questions.

We have a lot of hard to find native species that are available in too few numbers to have a permanent listing on our website so if there is something that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Elihu
Brooklyn, NY
December 9, 2014
Beginning a year ago, we began replacing our garden of invasives and weeds with native plants, after first ordering (and being very happy with) 3 native honeysuckles we got from Nearly Native (replacing Japanese barberry). The deal we made was: you design our garden and we'll buy the plants you suggest from you. Jim did, and we did. He told us that we'd have something blooming almost year-round. The plants came well-established and carefully wrapped (almost too carefully) and most of them survived last year's awful winter even though I planted them in a November rainstorm, without uprooting the weeds, and I couldn't see what I was doing.. Many of the plants he suggested are unusual, at least in Brooklyn. And a year later, in mid-December and after a hard frost, amazingly some stuff is still blooming. We are looking forward to the spring.
Positive wbanks
Locust Grove, GA
December 4, 2014
A great selection of plants and a friendly knowledgeable staff!
Positive tbone1984
Chapin, SC
December 4, 2014
I ordered two Nyssa Sylvatica trees from Nearly Native Nursery. The trees arrived very well packaged and in great shape. Both trees look very good along with the root systems. I have also spoke with them by phone just to get some planting advice and they were very helpful and answered every question I had.
Positive aarondalton
Nashville, TN (Zone 7a)
November 11, 2014
First order from Nearly Native Nursery.

Ordering process is a little cumbersome (you can't order online directly, but must call and/or fax your order).

That said, it gave me a chance to talk with Debi and Jim, both of whom were really friendly and helpful. Customer service gets an A++ rating here!

IMHO, plant prices are excellent. Of course, shipping costs can be painful, but I'm sure Nearly Native Nursery is just passing on their own costs for (very sturdy) boxes and shipping.

Shipping was very fast. Even considering that I'm in Tennessee and Nearly Native Nursery is in Georgia, I was shocked when plants arrived the day after shipping! This was great and I'm sure the fast shipment minimized transport stress.

Plants were very carefully packed and arrived without damage. If I have any complaint it is that the packing was so strong (paper, surrounded by plastic and packing tape) that I had a hard time unwrapping some of the plants.

Generally speaking, the plants were large and established. A couple of them (particularly 3-gallons) seemed root bound, but I did some root pruning and hopefully they will do OK once established.

Nearly Native Nursery has a wonderful selection of plants that are native to the Southeastern U.S. and I really appreciate the fact that I could obtain some plants like Viburnum obovatum, straight species Juniperus virginiana and Osmanthus americanus that are generally impossible to find locally and even hard to find at most mail order nurseries.
Positive rpdoerr
Louisville, CO
November 10, 2014
I have ordered nursery stock, mostly trees (magnolias, Black Tupelo, etc) from Nearly Native Nursery on two occasions and will be placing another order with them for spring, 2015. This nursery (also on site and retail) stands among the elite and is hands down one of the very best I have ever dealt with. They have a huge variety of plants, vines, shrubs and trees, including palms, many rare and hard to come by in the nursery trade. Their nursery stock is well-sized, healthy, packaged to perfection and always arrives when requested and in top-notch condition. Everything I have ordered from them is growing and thriving. Their pricing is more than fair. The owners, Jim and Debi, provide impeccable customer service and are from a horticultural perspective very knowledgeable (extensive descriptions for every item they sell), not to mention helpful, courteous, honest and reliable, the latter two traits ever more difficult to find in the online nursery trade these days. They always add a personal touch to every order. I would unequivocally recommend Nearly Native Nursery to anyone looking for a totally positive online nursery ordering experience. As evidenced by their countless numbers of very satisfied customers (astounding as it sounds, apparently not even one unsatisfied customer), they don't disappoint. If they have what you're looking for, order from them with peace of mind. You'll be glad you did and become a repeat customer.
Positive NativeOrganic
Bowie, MD
October 20, 2014
My Asclepias plants arrived in excellent condition, with lusty root systems. It was a litle difficult to remove the wrappings, but I don't suppose there is any way to make that more intuitive. I also received a lovely personalized note, thanking me for my order. I will definitely order from here again.
Positive mikie1
Mcdonough, GA
October 7, 2014
This is a first class nursery and a wonderful resource. This is a must for anyone in the south Atlanta area!!!!!
Positive kgriffit
Ludowici, GA
July 27, 2014
Great variety of native plants at reasonable prices. I was looking for butterfly, hummingbird, as well as berry plants to feed the birds in the winter and wasn't disappointed. My hummers have already given their plants an excited nod of approval!
Positive JRGil
Jackson, GA
July 25, 2014
My wife and I have visited Nearly Native twice, and left with a great feeling of having found a great source for information, practical knowledge, history, and of course, a great source for native plants. Our interest is attracting butterflies, bees and birds to our gardens in central GA and south FL. The folks at NN are just great. I feel guilty taking so much of his time (an hour each visit) but at least I am buying some great plants, some of which are hard to find, and nearly endangered. We share so much info and experiences with him, it is hard to just walk away. Jim and Debi are doing a great job, are wonderful, knowledgeable people, who I hope will be around for a long time. If you just want to browse on your own, it is very easy to do because everything is identified and price is clearly shown on computer printed plant tags which help us when we get home with our new plant treasures. We live about an hour away but will make this trip on a monthly basis to visit and see what is new at NN.
Positive jbcousins
Carrollton, GA
July 2, 2014
My experience with NNN has always been positive. My 1st order was a pick up and the second was shipped. In both cases the plants were in good condition and healthy. I have not lost a single plant that I've purchased from NNN. The packaging of the plants was perfect.
Positive pzuzu
Turin, GA
July 1, 2014
My first two visits at Nearly Native were a week apart. Both times I spent at least an hour talking with Jim, the owner. And both times I left empty-handed. What was amazing was that I never felt pressured to buy a single plant! I learned so much from him during our talks and was able to go home, process the information, and do a little extra research of my own. Everything I was taught was spot-on and even more insightful than most of the available information online. Clearly, Nearly Native not only cares about their plants and their business, but also about educating their customers, especially those inclined to learn...as I was. They have helped me start creating a formal garden out of native plants as opposed to alien ornamentals (yes! it's possible!). I have already gone back three more times and made several purchases. Also, Jim has helped me identify several species growing on my property I have always been curious about and never been able to find online!!! The man is like a walking encyclopedia. Now I can identify everything growing on my acre of land and know exactly how to care for it.

One other really neat thing about this nursery: I love being there. It is basically a garden in itself, full of winding trails, hills, ponds, and lots of inspiration. Most of the plants they carry in stock are actually planted near the pots they sell, so you can get a really good idea of what it will look like when mature. WOW! That is such a cool feature! I have not seen that done anywhere else!
Positive bdavenport
Dunwoody, GA
June 14, 2014
Absolutely Awesome experience! It was a true gift to be able to talk with Jim and learn about native plants that would work well in our woodland area. We are beyond excited and eagerly look forward to fall and winter when we can purchase trees, shrubs and plants that will make our yard even more attractive (to us and to wildlife!). Special thanks to Jim who patiently spent so much time teaching us about plants that would work well in our area. (Please accept our apology for delaying your lunch for soooo long!) I would also like to thank Debi, who so promptly (and so helpfully) responded to our calls and emails and helped us to best set up our trip to the nursery. A Nearly Native Nursery is a wonderful gift to the Atlanta area. As our sprawl increases, it is reassuring to find such a wonderful source for native plants. We can not wait to return!
Positive yaddie
Jonesboro, GA
June 9, 2014
Had a lovely return trip here. They are so helpful and full of information about the plants I took home.
Looking forward to another plant run soon.
Positive jojob
Little Rock, AR
May 18, 2014
I purchased a rare Ben Franklin tree from Native Nursery. My initial email to them was answered within a day (which is rare) and they were exceedingly friendly and helpful throughout the process. The tree arrived in perfect condition and it is thriving. I give them a triple A!
Positive PelaGirl
Pelahatchie, MS
May 13, 2014
Posted on January 31, 2013, updated May 13, 2014
I had found that they carried pipevines and ordered some. It involved some e-mailing back and forth for information. They were wonderful. The plants were in great shape when they arrived and were packaged securely
On May 13th, 2014, PelaGirl added the following:

I ordered Common Milkweed recently. The plants are incredible. NNN was wonderful to deal with; personal service and advice. Super, super experience in dealing with them.
Positive jimecope
Clayton, GA
May 13, 2014
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Positive sndavisATL
May 12, 2014
I was looking for a Grancy Graybeard (North American Fringe Tree) and did some online scouting to find that this nursery sold relatively large young trees. I went with the intent of just getting a tree, but ended up speaking with the owner for a long time and left with a tree and several plants (all of which are thriving at my house). Everyone is very knowledgable and they take their time with you - I learned so much! I will definitely be going back and recommending this nursery to everyone that I know.
Positive wmarine
East Newnan, GA
May 10, 2014
I have been wanting to visit this nursery for quite a while, finally a friend and I made it today and it is wonderful. The plants, the atmosphere, I just loved it. Jim was so friendly, knowledgeable. He even talked to us about the snakes he has inside and let me hold one, who was beautiful, but didn't seem to like the smell of the lotion I had on my arm!!
I bought a couple of wild Bergomots and will definitely be back and I'm bringing my landscape designer with me next time!!
Positive floradora
Astoria, NY (Zone 7b)
May 2, 2014
Ordered a Kentucky Yellowwood quart size by phone. The lady who took my order was very nice and pleasant even though I wasn't spending much. The tree arrived when promised. It is healthy and was packed very carefully. This company made me feel like it genuinely appreciates its customers. Looking forward to doing business with them again in the future.
Positive oljones107
atlanta
United States
April 30, 2014
The proprietors of Nearly Native were outstanding in assisting me with a Earth Day project I organized for my job. They are extremely knowledgeable of the plants they have at their nursery and they genuinely care about the plants and how they will be taken care of after they are purchased.

I live on the other side of town, however Nearly Native will always be my nursery for flowers and plants.
Positive natedbrbr
Franklin, TN
April 23, 2014
Ordered a serviceberry (Amelanchier Arborea) and spicebush (Lindera Benzoin) seedlings last year. Nearly Native was very good at keeping me informed during the process, explaining options for tree size, shipping costs and more. My plants shipped during one of the coldest Januaries in years so I was a little concerned. All the plants arrived well packed and in good shape and they have all since budded out and look perfect. Couldn't have been a better experience.
Positive nrwilson
Aldora, GA (Zone 8a)
April 16, 2014
I would like to thank Nearly Native. My husband and I had a wonderful first experience. Both Jim and Debi took a considerable amount of time talking to us about what type of trees would best fit our needs and growing and soil conditions. The trees we purchased are large and healthy, the prices are terrific and the number of varieties offered is impressive, to say the least. The atmosphere is educational and relaxing. There is so much to see and you must visit Butters, the macaw, who perched on my arm while we shopped. We will DEFINATELY be repeat costumers. I highly recommend Nearly Native and I cannot wait for my next visit.
Positive RoosterBoy
Burgettstown, PA
April 14, 2014
This is the first time I have ordered from Nearly Native. My expectations were far exceeded. They were very personable. There was an issue with my order due to weather and a cold winter, and they sent me an e-mail to explain the situation, offered a solution, and helped me to make a good decision based on my planting season.

I ordered 4 pawpaw trees from them and they were beautiful! I have tried from several other companies in the past without success. These trees were carefully packaged and were very healthy on arrival. I have been thrilled and eagerly await the weather to break to see them growing! If I can find some good sites for more, I will certainly order again next year!
Positive Roybk
Houston, TX
April 14, 2014
Very helpful
Courteous
I love the personal touch
Positive vboss
North Decatur, GA
April 13, 2014
I found an excellent selection of native species. The plants were healthy, and the owners were extremely friendly and helpful.
Positive jsecrist
Fayetteville, GA
April 5, 2014
Jim, our engaging host while visiting Nearly Native, was very friendly, knowledgable, and patient. He gave us lots of helpful information as we strolled around the natural setting nursery looking at native to Georgia plants. We will return! If nothing else, to visit the charming pet blue and gold macaw who lifts a claw as an indication he wants to be picked up....all in all a surprisingly delightful visit.

Positive valivingmuseum
Newport News, VA
March 24, 2014
This is the second time we have dealt with nearly native nursery. On both occasions nnn has supplied us with the native plants we were searching for. The plants have always been delivered in excellent condition and have been wonderful additions to our grounds. We would recommend nnn as a supplier of native plants.
Positive mgaunt
West Des Moines, IA
March 24, 2014
Ordered three Needle Palms from Nearly Native back in January before they switched everything up to the next pot size for the season. The plants that were delivered are absolutely gorgeous and far bigger than I expected. They worked with me to make sure the plants shipped during a relatively warm week.

Like many nurseries, the plants were shipped without pots, but the rootballs were so massive and well developed they didn't need them. I grabbed some #10 containers from a friends local landscape business and potted them up myself.

Living in Zone 5, Iowa, these plants are a bit of an experiment in overwintering. If I can figure out how to keep them alive this far north I'll be getting additional plants from Nearly Native to fill in a few more spots.
Positive mali102
Elmont, NY
March 22, 2014
I purchased the Turk's Cap Lily and Indian Pink in 2012. Knowing the difficulty of getting both plants to flower their first year, I waited and in 2013... Indian Pink Blooms! Waiting on the Turk's Cap, but that's expected. Alive and well they all are.

They are the best and I will continue my exploration into perennial goodness with them.

On a side note, I completely miscalculated (over) how much my order was worth and they corrected it without hesitation. Excellent company.
Positive squizrl03
March 18, 2014
I visited Nearly Native Nursery for the first time on a cold and windy day in early March. Jim was more than happy to spend time with me on a tour of the grounds, and stopped to give backstories on many of the plants on the site. As most of the items were still in the 'dormant' stage, there was not much 'bling' to be had, but Jim made the visit both informative and productive. I learned a lot about how they made the plants ready for market, and the care that they took to ensure that the customer got the best possible product for their situation. I also got a strong sense of Jim's passion for maintaining the environment in as natural a state as possible. I left with a few groundcovers, and will be back in the near future for a few plants and a lot of knowledge.
Positive memays
Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b)
March 10, 2014
Posted on June 16, 2013, updated March 10, 2014
I visited NNN yesterday, and it was a great experience - I was in search of butterfly host plants, and had read about NNN and was delighted to learn it was an easy drive from Atlanta. When I got there, Jim was very patient, answered all my questions, showed me each variety of plant I was interested in so that I could see what the plants would look like after growing in my garden, and even dug up a plant I was interested in, when it was not already in a pot. I plan to return in the fall - may take some friends along as well.
On March 10th, 2014, memays added the following:

I returned to NNN this weekend, and had another great experience - bought wild blue indigo, coral honeysuckle, red bottlebrush, and indian pink. The only damper on the experience was the husband who came along, and arbitrarily refused to allow my proposed tree purchases.
Positive Asteraceae
Athens-Clarke, GA
March 2, 2014
A native plant grower and activist myself, I'd been planning to visit in Nearly Native person for over a year. What a surprise and treat to bump into the president of the Georgia Plant Society there shopping this weekend as well. She remarked "you drove here from Athens, two hours away?". All I could say, is Nearly Native is the Mecca for all Georgia native plant worshipers. The trip is a pilgrimage. It was a real treat. I've never seen so many species in one place, and the Rogers have encyclopedic plant knowledge. GO THERE!
Positive blessed2348
Cave City, KY
February 1, 2014
Received excellent product. Superior shipping. Hard to find plants. Appreciate their customer service and attention to detail. Pleasure doing business!
Positive cathduf20
January 30, 2014
I visited Nearly Native with visitors from Portland, OR. Dave gave us personalized service to help us choose plants native to our area for a permaculture project. He and his wife were very knowledgeable about the plants in their nursery, spending as much time as we needed, helping us pick out plants that would thrive in the Altanta area and give us unique bio-diversity.
Positive annhelen
Townsend, GA
January 27, 2014
This company was very good about letting me know exactly when to expect my order, and who the shipper would be. Also, they made sure I would receive my order before the weekend (when they would have languished in the PO. The plants (trees, shrubs) I received had a very impressive root system, so they should thrive. I will recommend this nursery and will order again.
Positive kmoliver23
Athens, GA
December 30, 2013
Simply put NNN has the best selection of quality native material and the owners Jim and Debi are very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. I am restoring a property and looking to maximize plant diversity and NNN has many species I've not seen elsewhere in the trade.
Positive kincaidgarden
Tampa, FL (Zone 9b)
December 18, 2013
I couldnít be happier with the 2 trees (a Black Gum and a Florida Maple) I recently ordered from A Nearly Native Nursery. Debi helped me greatly in the selection process, after a few emails and speaking to her on the phone I was left with the feeling that Nearly Native really cares about the customerís wants and needs which seems so rare nowadays. My trees arrived at my home in Florida 2 days later, in excellent condition; both the seven gallon and the 1 gallon were packed securely and looked very healthy. I look forward to seeing them leaf out in the spring and hope to place another order with them soon, I only wish I lived closer so that I could visit in person. If you are considering mail order, go for it. A great company and really nice people!
Positive SarahT089
Kensington, NY
December 1, 2013
Debi and Jim are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. After losing a 100-year-old tree in October, we decided to seriously redo our front yard. My husband found Nearly Native and was so happy with their selection, help and service that he sent me there. Jim asked good questions about our needs and wants and then worked with us to draw up a new design for our front yard that uses all native plants to provide beauty, shade and food for local birds. When we ordered, everything was carefully and promptly shipped, and they were there to answer every question. When they ran out of a particular plant, they sent one from their own stock.
Now, all we have to do is not kill them (the plants) and wait for them to bloom in the spring.
Thank you, Jim and Debi.
Positive BarshKate
Tucker, GA
November 20, 2013
I visited in person and learned so much. I bought the large, healthy shrubs I had intended to buy and received expert advice for the shrubs I need for another area. Jim gave me a great tour of the property and I got so many ideas for my own garden.
Positive postoak7
Statham, GA (Zone 7b)
November 19, 2013
Sent them an inquiry about a week ago to check availability. Received a quick response and ended up placing a small order. Very nice looking semi-bare root plants arrived quickly and in great condition. Set them out the next day, just ahead of a cool fall rain.