The scoop on 'Sweet Corn Organic Nursery'

Sweet Corn Organic Nursery

7030 Fir Drive
Show Low, Arizona 85901 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Neutral catesgarden
Santa Rosa, CA
September 21, 2013
Ordered vegie starts in February to be sure I'd have them in good time to plant. Was told they'd ship out April 15th or soon after, good enough for my NorCal location. April 15th came and went, at the 1st of May I gave them a call and was told it would "ship out this week." Didn't actually get them until almost June, then because it shipped in two orders both with the same confirmation number from the post office (methinks) the second order was lost and had to be reordered which meant I didn't get them until mid-June. And wow, these starts were tiny! They had a long way to go yet. Also, I order asparagus beans and they sent asparagus, so that had to be corrected. Long story a little shortened: I ended up buying vegie starts (actually young plants) from a local nursery to make up for possibly not having a harvest until August and I'm glad I did. I have since found that I have also been sent the wrong zucchini, eggplant, bush bean, and tomato as well.
On a positive note: the customer service people and Bryan are super nice and I think genuinely want to send you the right stuff in an appropriate amount of time, but for some reason things keep falling through the cracks, as another poster quoted.
Another positive note is that their MegaSea fertilizer is amazing, it dissolves quickly in water and my plants have really thrived with it.
My last comment is about the website: it seems to be suspended (9-21-13).
Positive ehofen
Carney, MD
July 12, 2013
Posted on June 2, 2013, updated July 12, 2013
So disappointing. Ordered both seeds and seedlings. Shipped far beyond my planting date for spring seedlings. I called twice and was told they were going out "this week", but shipment arrived late-May for items that should have been in the ground before mid-April. The man I got on the phone said he didn't know why they weren't shipped out earlier. Most seedlings that arrived were little more than sprouts and barely survived shipping (fell out of strapping)... but asparagus seedlings looked very nice, even though I couldn't get them into the ground until late May due to late shipping. Some of the others recovered, many did not. They reportedly ship double your order to make up for shipping losses. On some seedlings, this means 2 separate plants, on others it just means unthinned seedlings.

Seed packets were far under count (they sell packs by count not weight). Packs said to hold 60 held 31 (30-50% less than advertised on many)... and I only had patience enough to count the big seeds. Reported the problem and... nothing. The phone number listed on the website does not work... use the number listed on the blog that is linked from the site to contact them.

Seed packets are wax envelopes inside plastic sleeves, stapled to an information card. Fine if you are planting all at once, but very inconvenient if you are planting in batches and want to keep the seeds in their original envelopes (I like Johnny's re-sealable envelopes for this).

Poor germination on charmant cabbage, culinary sage, chanterais melon, and black beauty zucchini. Good germination on lettuces (of course) and cucumbers. Others too soon to tell.

Not everything was bad, but the poor customer service (yes, some orders will "fall through the cracks", but you remedy that with good customer response) and regularly under-count seed packets mean I won't be ordering from Sweet Corn again.
On July 12th, 2013, ehofen changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Update: I heard back from two of the folks at Sweet Corn and Kim, in particular, was very helpful in resolving my concerns. She took care of all of the problems I had with my order, and even followed up to make sure that my seedlings are coming along well. Apparently, the company is growing by leaps and bounds this year and, as expected, my order just feel through the cracks somehow. This happens. But, I was very pleased with how responsive they were and took care of everything without a complaint. What great folks.

One important thing to note: they are one of the only organic and heirloom seed sellers I have found that offer free shipping! This is especially helpful for us backyard gardeners who might only be buying a few seed packets at a time. I think that this applies to their other items as well... even their organic fertilizers, which I am eager to try.

My final advice: Give Sweet Corn a try. You'll save bundles on shipping, and their company is small enough that you'll still receive that personalized customer service that made such a difference with my order.
Positive Font
Midland Park, NJ
September 26, 2011
WOW...what GREAT tomato plants.....packaging was also a 10 out of 10......I am jealous...I have been growing my own tomatoes from seeds...for 20 plus years....I have never seen plants this stocky...and beautiful..(my Sungold Cherry tomato plants get too tall prior to planting in the garden)....I also used MEGA MATOR.....MEGA SEA and MEGA FISH for the first time...GREAT could not be happier.....in a terrible growing season I had a steady supply of tomatoes...and I give the soil amendments from SWEET CORN ORGANIC the credit...can not wait until spring 2012.....
Positive mosilly
flagstaff
Canada
August 29, 2011
I was introduced to Sweet Corn Org. Nursery by a friend. I was a bit skeptical so I only agreed to split a bag of their Mega Mater soil amendment. I had 50 tomato seedlings so I had to spread it a lot thinner than was recommended. I saw results in a couple weeks and they just kept coming. I've been gardening in flagstaff for 15 years with mixed results but this year it was all good. One plant (Gallina) is approaching 7' and many others are approachjing 6'. the plants are holding each other up by interlacing leaves. The stems are sturdy...bigger around than my fingers. And the blossoms! One cluster has 16 flowers (Stupice). The fruit is starting to ripen now, less than 60 days after the seedlings went in the ground. They sure chose the right name for this microbe mixture...MEGA. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get more.
Positive ArizonaBorn
Dalton, GA
July 21, 2011
I ordered seedlings/transplants for the first time since Garden.com closed down many years ago. Man was I impressed!! First of all, the USPS damaged the box, but nothing was disturbed. Plants arrived timely and healthy. The "mega" samples they included to give my plants a great start were useful and I even used it some of my own seedlings that I started from seed. I will absolutely be ordering from Sweet Corn Organics again!
Positive ebharvey
Plano, TX
June 13, 2011
We have been extremely pleased with the live plants, soil amendments and MegaSea products that we've purchased here. They had a wide variety of plants that I had been looking for. Protective packaging for live plants was great and very creative. The instructions for transplanting were very thorough and all the plants came with the needed supplements in sample packaging. All of our transplants have been thriving, with no setback. My favorite supplements so far are the MegaSea and MegaPepe. We've struggled with our peppers this year. Within 2 weeks of adding MegaPepe, the plants finally have begun to grow and thrive. Seed labels are very thorough and specific to the particular variety of seed inside. When I called to clarify something, I was pleasantly surprised to have the phone answered by the nicest man. Help was instant and extremely fruitful.
Positive Pitcom
Avondale, PA (Zone 6b)
June 3, 2011
Posted on May 23, 2011, updated June 3, 2011
This company had a very nice selection of vegetable seeds. Especially, some of the harder to find corn varieties. After reading some positive reviews of the soil amendments sold here, i ordered some of the organic MegaSea and MegaMator.to use in conjunction with my hydrolyzed fish oil. I will update later in the growing season to report on my experience with these items. The shipping was fast and free. I would do business with Sweet Corn Organic Nursery again.
On June 3rd, 2011, Pitcom added the following:

i ended up placing a second order to replace some corn that did not germinate well from another vendor. I ended up getting some of the serendipity corn, and received much more seeds per pack than advertised on the website. The shipping was very fast. All of the beans i planted that i got on the first order germinated well.
Positive pmba
Lakeside, AZ
May 21, 2011
I purchased some of Sweet Corn's Mega Peppe and Mega Lawn, Mega Sea and Mega Fish and it worked FANTASTIC! My peppers are thriving and I even put it in my flower garden and they are blooming like crazy. My lawn was looking pretty dry and faded eventhough I watered it a lot. I put the Mega Lawn on it and later fed it with the Mega Sea and Mega Fish and it has greened up so much, I am the envy of the neighborhood. It's great! Love the products, and will continue to purchase them. Can't wait to try out the Mega Mator. I love their packaging as well. I'M SOLD!!
Positive hatchingbunnies
Gilbert, AZ
May 16, 2011
I recently tried Sweet Corn's Mega Mator and MegaPepe. The MegaMator is GREAT!! I am having my best tomato year in years. I am a small market gardener and have over 60 tomato plants in the garden. It works great in our Arizona soil. My plants haven't looked this green/vigorous or had so many blooms and small tomatoes in a long time. Will definitely keep using.