The scoop on ' (New Garden Plants)'

Company Profile (New Garden Plants) (New Garden Plants) has 1014 products listed in PlantScout.

2645 40th Ave.
Hudsonville, Michigan 49426 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-287-5926

» Like them on Facebook

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive kogwoman
Wilton, WI (Zone 4a)
July 6, 2015
I ordered 1 echinacea "Double Scoop Cranberry and 1 echinacea "Secret Love". I ordered them in the winter and designated my shipping date as Apr 20th. They arrived the week of the 20th as I wanted. The packaging was excellent, in fact the best I have ever received! The plants were of good size and very healthy. I planted them out right away and they are both flourishing and have been since they were planted. I only wish I had ordered more of the "Secret Love", as it is so gorgeous. It's sold out online, but I did send Pete and email, and he hopes it will be back in stock by the end of July. I am very satisfied with my order from this company and would order again.
Negative streborem
New Richmond, WI
June 16, 2015
I ordered for the first time this year. When my plants came I got 3 of the 4 that I ordered. He never once emailed me to tell me one was not available. Then he sends me one of the cone flowers that is only 4" at the tallest. Yep $12.33 for something that is barely alive. I wrote him and never a response. Pete does not care about his customers only his pocket book!
Negative vano915
Saint Petersburg, FL
May 30, 2015
I ordered $160 worth of plants from this company. They looked iffy when they arrived, but I waited to see if they'd recover. They didn't. I'm an experienced gardener, and I did not kill the plants. I emailed the company twice, but got no response for over a week. I was then told that the plants were only guaranteed at the time of delivery. So if they were damaged during the delivery process, but were not yet dead when they arrived, they weren't guaranteed!
Customer satisfaction? Not so much....
Company representative comment on May 30, 2015:
On May 30, 2015 5:45 PM, (New Garden Plants) responded with:

Plants delivered were of very good quality and according to your email arrived in good condition.

Sorry about your loss but we have no control over the plants once delivered. It was obvious from the picture that the plants were not cared for properly. (They were left unattended and not watered for to long of a period).

Positive jessc007
Memphis, MI
May 29, 2015
I just completed my first transaction with this company and, overall, I am happy with my purchase. I ordered 12 plants and received a 13th as a free gift. The plants were all potted and each placed inside of it's own brown paper bag with a loose rubber band holding it in place within it's bag. Then they were set down within the box, side by side, and the box marked with which way was up.
I received my order quickly and had also received a timely email to response from Pete in regards to a shipping question that I had.
2 of my plants did have some yellow/brown leaves on them. One was the Stella De Oro Daylilly and the other was the Potentilla 'Arc-en-ciel' which was a bit more pronounced. I snipped off the dead leaves and am hoping that these plants will do well now that they are in the ground. It's too early to tell just how well they'll all thrive. They are all perennials within my zone, but I suppose that only time will tell.
I will say that the plants looked full and healthy enough that I felt confident in placing a second order with this company! Hoping to be able to share more positive feedback very soon! :)
Negative Canarykeeper
Menlo, IA
May 15, 2015
I have to give this company a negative. I read that they try to please their customers and give a 100% guarantee. And yet, they totally ignored my email. I purchased a few plants from them last year, and 2 plants rated to my zone died in the winter. Yet another company that does not rate planting zones properly. How rude for them to just ignore my question.....100% no guarantee. Buy at your own risk.
Negative livingJazzy
Eagle, WI
May 13, 2015
Posted on May 7, 2014, updated May 13, 2015
I\'ve ordered alot of plants from Pete\'s company. I appreciate all the thorough plant info on the website. I also think it\'s great that I can add to my order at anytime with out having to pay the whole shipping charge over. I think this family owned company works hard to be satisfactory and I trust that to be true because I\'ve experienced it. The plants I\'ve received we\'re very healthy and packaged very well. I\'ve ordered from many different companies so that I can compare them and so far I\'ve not been as pleased with any of them as I am with this one. This is my honest opinion and perspective. Will be continuing my business with them and recommending them to others.
On May 13th, 2015, livingJazzy changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I have been meaning to update my rating for a long time now. I wouldn't want people to be mislead by my comments.
There are alot of things I really do like about this company like selection prices and website. However, I will not be purchasing plants from here ever again.
As I stated, I have shopped at Alot of places for plants, including places that ship plants in bags with tiny seedlings for plants. I have had a much much better out come with All of these companies at the end of the day.
For whatever reason the plants at this company didn't make it. Most of them died. They were lovely and big when they arrived but most died. It is a mystery what the problem was with these perrenials.
All of the shrubs I bought did not die. So getting shrubs here is Not a bad idea.
This company does not offer a guarantee for this circumstance thats why I will not longer shop here or recommend it.
I was so so thrilled with this company but at the end of the day I'm out alot of money and effort.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 10, 2015
Posted on May 18, 2013, updated May 10, 2015
Posted on May 9, 2013, updated May 18, 2013
Posted on May 6, 2012, updated May 9, 2013
I ordered two penstemon, two coneflower & one helenium.
One penstemon was had the top almost completely broken off so they included another free one and added a bonus plant of a coreopsis . All the other plants were in good condition and very well packaged.
On May 9th, 2013, bryana changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I placed a very large order with \'NO SUBSTITUTIONS PLEASE\' as the only comment. Most of the plants were large, healthy and packed well. A couple of the plants were missing quite a bit of potting mix and a couple annuals looked like they had just been started in jiffy peat disks and re-potted. They did not receive one plant from a supplier so they substituted another - despite the fact that \'NO SUBSTITUTIONS\' was printed on the order receipt they enclosed. My emails to them went unanswered so I had to call my credit card to start a refund.
On May 18th, 2013, bryana changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

They finally answered my email and sent the plant I had originally ordered - all the plants are in good shape.
On May 10th, 2015, bryana added the following:

I ordered five Coreopsis, four Agastache and one Beardtongue.
All the plants were healthy and good sized .
They are all doing fine more than a week after planting.
Positive Cheryl8
Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 7, 2015
Posted on April 17, 2014, updated May 7, 2015
I just received my order from New Garden Plants, 11 annuals and 3 perennials. All were packed perfectly, and I mean perfectly.All the plants were in excellent shape, big and healthy. One of the petunia\'s I ordered had a note next to it - very young yet - sent 2 for 1, and BOTH of them were beautiful. Plus the bonus plant is a nice treat. Overall, I am extremely pleased and excited to get planting. You won\'t be disappointed with this company. Thank you Pete, great packing, fast shipping, beautiful plants. I\'ll be back for more, for sure.
On May 7th, 2015, Cheryl8 added the following:

Received my new order today from New Garden Plants, 23 plants in all, 11 annuals and 12 perennials + a bonus plant. They were all perfectly packed, thank goodness because the FedEx guy literally threw the box. Beautiful, large, healthy plants and not a leaf broken. I highly recommend New Garden Plants.Thank you again Pete. I'll be back again…
Positive kittens2211
Elkmont, AL
May 7, 2015
Negative ytram
Kalamazoo, MI
May 5, 2015
I ordered "18" Echinacea plants @ $13.00 each. When the carton arrived it had NO packing to hold the plants, and some plants were laying on top of others. Only THREE were about 12 to 15 inches high. The rest of them were tiny little just started growing plants 2-3" high.
VERY small for the price. Also, half of the plants died.
I paid $308.87 for essentially a carton of mostly dirt with very tiny plants. I called and called and left messages, but no one ever called me back. I sent an email to Pete telling him how disappointed I am.
Also that I am a disabled veteran and do gardening for some therapy.

Pete's email back only said that I waited too long for ANY replacement plants. His 100% guarantee is meaningless. Too bad he is too busy building his house that he will not fulfill his 100% guarantee to a disabled veteran. NEVER BUY FROM PETE AGAIN.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2015:
On May 8, 2015 9:33 AM, (New Garden Plants) responded with:

I did send you an email stating we would not offer you a refund or replacements because it has been 2 years since we delivered your plants. Your plants were delivered 4/29/2013. It is now May 8, 2015.

Positive magickalgardens
Coleman, MI
April 29, 2015
I order hundreds of dollars of plants every year. First time with this company. Perfect! These are nice healthy plants. Great packaging. I will definitely buy from them again. Your company has joined the other 3 companies that I purchase plants from every year. I personally don't see what problem people would have with this company. All I can think of is that some people are very hard to please. This Master Gardener is very Happy. Your company is from my state which makes it even better. I love to support small businesses. Look for another order from me. :D
Positive amilie
Saint Clairsville, OH
September 19, 2014
I placed my first order with NewGarden Plants about 2 months ago. Most of my order were Coneflowers and Hostas. Even though my son forgot to tell me my order had arrived (and been placed in a very hot garage) for three days, the plants looked healthy! All the coneflowers bloomed within weeks and look very healthy. I placed another order recently and was just as pleased. I can not say how customer service is as I had no reason / problems concerning my orders and did not need to contact them. Selection was down somewhat but only because it was nearing the end of the season. I still was able to get varieties not available locally at fair prices.
Positive DGRich53
Janeville, WI
July 9, 2014
Posted on July 8, 2014, updated July 9, 2014
They seem to have a problem with data entered on their website. My credit card number appeared in the address label but when I e-mailed them about the problem, they failed to respond; additionally, they shipped Fedex secured so CS refuses to give package information "without the shipper's authorization". That's usually a sign that a merchant KNOWS they have a site problem.

I'll update this posting when the plants arrive....
On July 9th, 2014, DGRich53 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Update, my webmaster indicated the problem was THEIR auto fill program not NGP.

The plants arrived and NGP had handled the mailing issue up front. GREAT PLANTS, GREAT SERVICE, thanks.
Positive krueller
Brookpark, OH
June 28, 2014
A few weeks ago, I decided to redo the front of my house & I decided to order from this company, because their plants are usually a lot larger & healthier looking and I was not disappointed. I had the plants the next week, they were awesome looking and as usual they gave me a nice free annual, which looked great and worked well in my front yard. I will continue to do business with them. They're one of the best plant companies around, in my books!!!
Positive doxielvr
West Hartford, CT
June 24, 2014
Posted on June 24, 2014, updated June 24, 2014
Posted on May 6, 2014, updated June 24, 2014
I have ordered from newgardenplants 3 times - have not yet received my order this year. The plants I purchased did very well. A few did not come back - but we had a very rough winter here in the Northeast. I think their prices are fair, the plants arrive healthy and were well packed and I was impressed with how well they grew. I love the variety, and the convenience of being able to order from home. While I love to visit garden centers, I just cannot find everything I want in one place the way I can with ngp.
On June 24th, 2014, doxielvr changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I am disappointed to say that this years order included extremely tiny petunia plants with an apology note that I was receiving 15 vs. the 12 I had ordered. It took nearly a full month for these plants to get anywhere near decent size and they are finally producing some flowers. Definitely not what I had in mind. Additionally I wrote to Pete to let him know how disappointed I was in these plants as I have been a customer for several years - and I received NO RESPONSE. Very disappointed to not get the courtesy of a response = you lost a customer.
On June 24th, 2014, doxielvr changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Within hours of posting my revised comments about this year's order I did hear from Pete at NGP. He offered me replacement plants or a refund. I trust he will make good on this offer and appreciate him contacting me.
Negative jennwv11
June 18, 2014
I ordered 6 Red Supertunias, 6 Royal Velvet Supertunias, and some perennials for my garden. At the time of order, they asked me when I wanted them shipped so I highlighted the next week(meaning immediately/sometime within the next week). It took over two weeks, close to 3 weeks for me to receive them. I really think that it would probably have taken longer but I emailed Pete and asked when I could expect my order. I got my order at the end of that week. The problem that I have is with 6 Red Supertunias and Coreopsis Star Cluster. 4 out of the 6 Red Supertunias were wavy or another kind of petunias. I have planted Red and Royal Velvets since I moved into my house so after 10 years, I think I could tell the difference!!! I ordered from Pete because my local nurseries didn't have them for some reason or they already sold them out. I took pictures and sent them to Pete and he told me they were Supertunias and he would not refund or replace them. About a week ago, my Coreopsis flowered...and it was not Star Cluster but a yellow Coreopsis which I don't know the name of. Because of my experience with first order from them, I don't think I will order from again. I will continue to order from Romence Gardens who offer better service all around.
Positive LinkMNY
Harris Hill, NY
May 15, 2014
I have ordered from New Garden Plants for several years and have never been disappointed. The plants are very well packaged for shipping and arrive exactly when requested. The plants are HUGE! - not what you expect from mail order, They are ready to put in the ground and look like at least a second-year perennial in the garden. I always look forward to the "bonus plant" that is included with every order - an added surprise!
Positive danieltulip
Brooksville, FL (Zone 9b)
May 12, 2014
Posted on March 23, 2013, updated May 12, 2014
I have ordered from New Garden Plants several times in 2012 and 2013. I was very satisfied with the service and the quality of their plants. I have emailed Pete twice for info and both times I got a prompt reply. Have had only postive experiences with this company. ( And I'm not easy to satisfy and yes, I'm considered "Picky".) danieltulip
On May 12th, 2014, danieltulip added the following:

I have ordered from this company again this year. (2014) Wow!! The plants all arrived in great shape. Especially impressed with the size of the plants. The shipping is outstanding, packed very well, nothing broken, bent or out of the pots. This is a company that you can safely order from on line. The owner seems anxious to please and has always returned my questions promptly. Dan. Florida
Positive annamy
Bridge City, TX
May 11, 2014
I am really impressed by this company!!!
I ordered a butterfly bush from another mailorder company and it was super small and the plant was packed poorly.
I then ordered one from NEWGARDENPLANTS.COM after reading the reviews here first :)
The bush that arrived was FAR SUPERIOR to the other one and was packed wonderfully!!!! There was no way the plants were going to shift around because they were packed so well!!
The company even threw in a bonus plant which a absolutely adore!! is AMAZING and I will be doing business with them again SOON :)
Positive marlyce
Louisburg, KS
May 9, 2014
I have ordered plants from Dave for several years & have been blown away by how healthy they were!
Gorgeous additions to my yard & no problems with them growing.
Positive tysus07
Hillsboro, VA
Posted on May 6, 2014, updated May 6, 2014
This was my first order with New Garden I had read the reviews, and based on the fact that the most recent reviews were mostly positive, I went ahead and placed my order. Wow - what a fantastic experience! I placed my online order on a Saturday and the plants arrived that Thursday. All plants were packaged extremely well and looked great! They were bigger than I had anticipated and very healthy and just what I had ordered. I loved my "bonus" plant, too! As a matter of fact, I was so pleased with my order that I placed another order a few days later and I am now eagerly awaiting receipt of that order. Keep up the good work, Dave & family - you offer a wonderful selection of plants, at reasonable prices, and I am a very happy new customer!
On May 6th, 2014, tysus07 added the following:

oops - I said in my review below to keep up the good work "Dave" and family, but of course I meant PETE and family! Sorry about that! : )
Positive wruby
Slatington, PA (Zone 6a)
May 6, 2014
I ordered several coneflowers from them a few years ago. The plants were not huge, but they were very healthy looking, and really took off as soon as I planted them.They had a terrific selection, packed everything carefully, gave me a bonus plant and really nice metal tags for the plants--I would definitely order from them again!!
Positive TheDonSC
May 6, 2014
I just used for the first time, ordering quart-size Ice Plants. They arrived in perfect condition and are now blooming in our SC garden. The quality and size of the plant far exceeds most growers for the price. Packing is very well done and shipping advices were wonderful.

I highly recommend this site for your garden needs. They are a family-run company and provide excellent and courteous service. I place them at the five star level along with HighCountryGardens,com
Positive ski34days
Redondo Beach, CA
May 6, 2014
Of all the online sites and all the mail order plants I have received this company is the best. I bought from them last year and I bought from them this year. The hydrangeas and echinecea I bought last year are doing beautifully, the lady's mantle and sea holly I bought this year are healthy and happy. The plants arrive in great condition and thrive after planting. A few weeks ago I received two orders, one from New Garden Plants and one from Wayside. The Wayside order arrived a day late after being in the box for 8 days and were dead on arrival. I requested a replacement package and the plants i received were hardly any better. I consider that $100 wasted. I will never order from any one other than New Garden Plants again.
Negative Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA (Zone 6b)
April 29, 2014
I placed an order for 4 plants. They sent me 4 plants plus a bonus plant. One of the plants I ordered has promptly died and another wasn't something I even ordered but 'subbed' since what I ordered was now unavailable. I don't appreciate being 'subbed' a plant without prior knowledge. They never contacted me saying it was unavailable and I still haven't heard from them after emailing them my displeasure about this. Another of the plants I ordered has a NOID plant growing in the middle of it. I'm not sure if it's a weed or not but I'm letting it grow to find out. Packaging was terrible as all the plants were in the bottom of the box but there was no padding or protection if the box had been turned upside down in shipping. I'm certain I would never buy from this company again.
Positive ndoyle
Lenoir City, TN (Zone 7a)
April 5, 2014
My order from arrived this week. No complaints, just kudos to them for their selection and service. The plants were of good size, healthy, and freshly potted with loose soil.

They pass my test, I will definitely return as a customer.
Positive champcooper
Houston, TX
March 28, 2014
Very good experience - plants arrived quickly (as I requested because of Houston weather) and were of a good size. They were packed very well with small plastic stakes. I am very pleased with this company and would order from again.
Positive dogshed
Stockton, MO
March 12, 2014
I looked at NGP's decided to wait on ordering because of the Neg's here. Well I bit the bullet and I ordered 3 hard to find Hibiscus plants a few weeks back a few days after I wanted to add one more. Pete added to the same order, so no extra on shipping. I requested ship day 3-10-14. They arrived 3/12/14. The packing was wonderful and the plants looked great. Course they are dormant but could tell they were nice alive plants. The bonus gift was great.
Would most definitely order again.
Negative prismperfect
Silver Lake, OH
September 8, 2013
I ordered two hibiscus plants from them on Jul 14th ($32 shipped). They arrived on 7/23. They were packed well and smaller than I expected, I was hoping for them to be a little more mature, but we planted them the same day. Within a few days we noticed something was definitely wrong. The leaves started dropping off both, and the plants started to shrivel and droop. We made sure we were watering them correctly, they got the sun they required, we're in the right hardiness zone.

Emailed them 8/18 with photos, they were definitely dying. Pete said to give it more time and they'd probably pull through. I gave it more time, we babied the plants and monitored them daily. One of them did seem to perk up, but the other went downhill fast. It's now just a brown dead twig, it's a sad waste of money.

I emailed Pete on 8/30 with no reply, and tried again to their sales email on 9/4 with updated photos, asking for a replacement. Their site says they 100% no hassle guarantee their plants, so I was just hoping he could send another. It just doesn't make sense that it's 5 feet away from the other one in the same exact soil and it starts dying pretty much after we plant it.
He seems to be ignoring my emails and does not reply. I agree with the other reviewers, he's very responsive until there's a problem that needs dealt with. I guess I didn't spend enough money with them to be worth assisting. I do not recommend ordering from them!
Company representative comment on January 19, 2014:
On Jan 19, 2014 11:27 PM, (New Garden Plants) responded with:

Sorry, I had to put the business on the back burner last summer and fall. After 18 months I have finally completed building a new home for my family in which I decided to do some of the work myself, including the general contractor. It was quite overwhelming and a lot more work than I had imagined.
So my apologies I just could not keep up with everything. Please contact me if I do not get ahold of you first and I will more than take care of the issue.
Pete (owner of

Positive art33
Florissant, MO
September 5, 2013
I received my NewGardenPlants order today and was very pleased. The plants were larger than I expected and in excellent condition. The bonus plant was very nice as well. I had one other order that I decided to cancel so I emailed Pete and ask him to cancel that one. I know he's got to be a very busy guy, but still he promptly answered saying he would cancel the other order. Sure can't complain about that kind of customer service! I'll be ordering again from this company.

Negative iykim
Hillsborough, CA (Zone 10a)
July 27, 2013
Posted on July 27, 2013, updated July 27, 2013
I ordered several plants totaling about $100. They were one of the few online nurseries that carried Proven Winner's Sunsatia Cranberry Nemesias. This was the only reason I chose I added several more plants so that I take full advantage of their $10 flat shipping rate. Although most of the plants arrived healthy and in much bigger pots than most of the other nurseries I ordered from in the past, unfortunately, the Nemesias were DOA. They were all brown, shriveled up, and the cambium had no green color to it whatsoever. They never sent out any new leaves. So I sent them an email to get replacements. No reply. So I telephoned them. No one picks up the phone. I sent another email to Pete there, but still no reply. I don't think I will ever do business with them again.
On July 27th, 2013, iykim added the following:

I read more reviews for New Garden Plants, and I have to agree with other reviewers who gave Pete a negative review in that there is absolutely ZERO communication if there is anything wrong with your order. Most positive reviews were from those who had received all live and healthy plants. My first order experience with them was fine because all plants from that order came alive. That's why I decided to order from them again. With the dead nemsias and no customer service, I will not order from them again. If you are OK receiving some dead plants and not getting any customer service for that issue, they are an OK nursery to order from. But if you expect customer service, no way no how.
Company representative comment on January 19, 2014:
On Jan 19, 2014 11:31 PM, (New Garden Plants) responded with:

Sorry, I had to put the business on the back burner last summer and fall. After 18 Months I have finally completed building a new home for my family in which I decided to do some of the work myself, including the general contractor. It was quite overwhelming and a lot more work than I had imagined.
Pete (owner of

Positive Sibilation
Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a)
July 26, 2013
A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to try and grow some Fuchsia in Florida (apparently I'm a masochist) and settled on NewGardenPlants. They were cheap, have large plants, and a flat(ish) rate shipping policy. So I added everything to my basket, and during checkout I thought I'd be cute and in the "request ship date" box (or whatever it's called) I put "asap please." Of course, to me asap means 'yesterday,' but to a horticulturalist this means 'when conditions are best for the plants to be shipped.' I, being of the internet generation and in perpetual need of instant gratification, paced a furrow in my garden in anticipation. Then, I (ever the whiner) sent an 'gimme my plants ~ waaah' email. The owner's reply explained the shipping and said he would include some additional plants for the inconvenience (you know, the fake one I created in my mind) . Today they arrived, and they are all large, in perfect condition, and the additional plants (which I did not deserve) are numerous. I'll be shopping again soon, and with a specific ship date (for the date field - imagine that) at hand.

Is gardening suppose to help improve patients? or is that fishing? Xanax?
Positive imaginefarm
Perry, GA
July 5, 2013
Placed an order for 2 different types of perennials, about 12 total plants. They were on sale for great prices. The plants arrived packaged very well, in great shape. One extra plant included. I would GLADLY buy from them again. They had a "Color Guard" yucca for a price that could NOT be beat!
Negative jvfnyc
New York, NY
June 28, 2013
Upon receiving my plants, I noticed right away that one of them looked sickly (yellow and limp). I flagged it up to them via email and was told I ought to fertilize - which I did. The third plant is dead now and the company didn't respond to my email or a phone call. Only after I said I would dispute the charge through my credit card company did I get a response. There are too many good nurseries out there to put up with this poor customer service.
Positive NJBOB
Highland Lakes, NJ
June 13, 2013
Posted on June 6, 2013, updated June 13, 2013
It would have been neutral , but I have e-mailed 3 times with no response. My order included 5 Echinacea . Four were nice sized plants and one (Meteor Yellow) was very small just reaching the top of the pot. The main reason I e-mailed was that they substituted Hot Coral which I already had a few of for Salsa Red without notification.
In these days it is not hard for a company to contact you about such matters and they had plenty of other plants I would have preferred . In what other business can a company just send what they want.
Order ID 6346
On June 13th, 2013, NJBOB changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Was sent a very nice replacement plant for the one that was substituted and from talking to others Meteor Yellow appears to be a slow grower. Have to say the plants are some of the nicer ones I have received mail order and very good packing. But please do not substitute plants without asking your customers first.
Positive ThrickaThrick
Stillwater, OK
June 8, 2013
I ordered 2 Jack Frost Brunnera from New Garden. When the packaged arrived it was obvious that they thought a lot about how to package plants to protect them. I thought it was unique (maybe not, sort of new to mail ordering live plants) that they hot glued the wrapping paper, that was wrapped around the plant and secured with rubber bands, to the bottom of the box so they were guaranteed to stay upright.

I had ordered a Jack Frost Brunerra from Jung Seed and the difference in size and quality was startling (I would buy seed and roots from Jung however). Much bigger, much healthier, and packaged respectfully.

The company added a freebie. Freebies are always nice. They don't have to do that. Not sure that they do that with every order. This was a first time order.

Due to the quality of this order I have just placed another order for some flowering perennials for a rejuvenated flower garden. Thanks New Garden.
Negative Thumperbuni
Baltimore, MD (Zone 7a)
May 17, 2013
I am not the sort to give anyone a negative review but my dealings with New Garden Plants had to be told to warn others of making the same mistake I made. I had ordered or received quite a few items from NGP none of which were in impeccable shape upon receipt. The ones that really concerned me were the three (3) Silene Druett's Variegated Campion that were subpar to say the least but one was a little worse than the others. I figured with a little tlc they would all pull through and went ahead and planted them in the same garden bed. It has only been about a week and the worse plant received has completely rotted away while the others are doing fine. I contacted Pete via phone message and via e-mail twice regarding this matter, I would have left him another phone message but his mailbox was actually full! Needless to say I have not received any contact back from him at all. This is completely unacceptable if you are running your own business. His website states "100% guarantee, a 100% NO HASSLE GUARANTEE", which means 100% absolutely nothing to me since it has been a complete hassle and I am extremely dissatisfied. I will NEVER buy from him again and I pursuade others on This site to think twice before doing so! And if anyone of my gardening friends asks me to recommend an on-line mail order nursery, the first thing I would tell them is to go to Romence Gardens because they are absolutely wonderful in every way. And the second thing I would tell them is to avoid New Garden Plants like powdery mildew!!
Positive suenjimsgarden
Mount Prospect, IL
May 16, 2013
I just received my order of 12 coral bells and they are perfect. Well packed. Shipped timely. Healthy plants. Got the free stuff too. Will definitely order again.
Thanks Pete.
Positive timonsgirl
Mount Prospect, IL
April 24, 2013
I ordered for the first time this year from New Garden Plants and received my order today. I have already placed a second order.

The plants arrived packaged very safely and in excellent condition.

The burning hearts I ordered arrived blooming and the two coreopsis are full and bushy.

None of the plants had any dead stems, wilting or drooping. There was no soil loss in any of the plants during shipping. They were perfectly watered - not over or under watered - which has been a big problem I've experienced with several companies in the past few years.

I highly recommend this company!
Neutral esanita
TYASKIN, MD (Zone 7a)
April 20, 2013
Posted on April 18, 2013, updated April 20, 2013
I'm sorry to have to post a negative, because I know Pete is trying really hard to make a go of his business. But -- this is the first time I ordered from NewGardenPlants. The packaging was substandard. The 3 echinacea were crushed and almost all the plants had some of their soil dumped out into the box. The buddleia had its roots above the soil in the pot . I won't order again from this firm. I can get better plants for about the same cost from other mail order companies. The website pictures are great, but the plants aren't.
On April 20th, 2013, esanita changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I've changed my rating to Neutral, based on the very concerned and immediate email I got from Pete, although I dithered between Neutral and Positive:

"If your not happy with your order either are we. What do I need to do to make you satisfied? We go to great strides to package our plants so they will not move under most circumstances. However we do have a few that get bumped around more than we would like them to. I would like to do whatever I can to make it right w you. Can I issue a refund or reship new ones for the plants that did not arrive in good condition."

Since so many dg posters had such positive experiences, I guess mine was just one of those things that slipped though the cracks. I'll try ordering from Pete again sometime and see how it goes.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]