The scoop on 'BEing Plants'

BEing Plants

8 Bobby Locke Street
Vereeniging, 078 1961510
(South Africa)

Phone: +27781961510

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Negative eliasastro
Greece (Zone 10a)
April 28, 2015
Posted on April 27, 2015, updated April 28, 2015
Posted on April 25, 2015, updated April 27, 2015
I am so very disappointed with them. Last autumn i ordered about 10 packets of seeds from them, of winter grower South African bulbous plants. I sowed them very carefully in very specialized soil mixture. My climate is pure Mediterranean, which is ideal for growing these plants. Unfortunately, almost none of the seeds germinate. I am sure the seeds were outdated. When i sow my own produced seeds of S African bulbous flowers i always have great success, because they are truly fresh. Unfortunately, seed sellers seem to keep them for ages. It is sad that they seem to provide seeds of rare and unusual species, but if they are not viable it is complete waste of time.
On April 27th, 2015, eliasastro added the following:

Maybe it was wrong not contacting the seller before giving my rating, but what would it help? WOULD I GET A REFUND? You simply don\'t even know what you\'re selling! I DON\'T LIVE IN THE SEMI-TROPICS!!! I live in the south Mediterranean and MY CLIMATE IS IDEAL for growing these plants outdoors . Also, i have a lot of experience in growing them. If you knew your job you should know that these plants DO NOT TOLERATE FROST AND FREEZES and they WON\'T SURVIVE OUTDOORS in USDA Zones 8 and 7!!!! What you should do as a seller is not blame buyers for slandering, but you should better assure the viability of the seeds you sell.
On April 28th, 2015, eliasastro added the following:

My problem is that you don't accept your responsibility and try to blame the customer which is not what a reliable seller should do. I bought only native S African bulbous plants seeds (Androcymbium, Lapeirousia, Romulea, Wurmbea, Geissorhiza, Ornithogalum). NONE of them germinated despite the fact that they were sown on the right season, in a special mix for them and under ideal climatic conditions. You are the one who is making assumptions when you don't know me, and you were even sure i live in the sub-tropics! USDA zone 7 and 8 means that on average the annual lowest temperature drops below -10C/ 14F which is totally lethal for all that species, which leaves even get damaged at light frost. Another matter is the source of your seeds. If they are produced in a nursery then who is the producer? Or are they collected form the wild?
Company representative comment on April 27, 2015:
On Apr 26, 2015 5:02 AM, BEing Plants responded with:

I am saddened that you did not contact me before going public and making such rude accusations as saying I sell non-viable seed. I sell seed and plants because rare things are my passion, I\'m trying to keep threatened plants from going extinct and believe private collectors have a role to play and I see myself as merely the means to getting the seed to such collectors. I\'ve been selling seed for 7 years and most of my clients are repeat customers, who extend their range every year.
Most of my bulb seed descriptions say they are for zone 7-8, the reason being they need those temperatures to germinate! The need below 6Cat night and 17C in day to germinate, not semi-tropics. The mix means nothing if the temperatures are wrong and slandering a person like this is judgemental.

On Apr 28, 2015 6:44 AM, BEing Plants added:

You did not contact me directly so I could not check to see what you ordered, all I've had to go on is your profile at Daves Garden which says you live in zone 10. Most of my bulb seed are zone 7-8, and do in fact come from the Cape area of South Africa that gets winter rain and frost. Therefore please stop saying I don't know my product, I live in the country it comes from, I've grown them when I lived in zone 7 and the babianas, lapeirousias, lachenalias, massonias, agapanthus, moraeas all most certainly live very well outdoors in zone 7. If they got black frost or snow they'd die, so yes, many clients have to grow them indoors if they live in zone 6 and below. You keep making assumptions without facts, you know nothing of me, but you're determined to make me the vilian. I call that vindictive and slander.

Positive chumort
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
August 22, 2012
I just received my order from Being Plants. Tanya went out of her way even ordering seeds for me that weren't in stock. On top of that she added some bonus seeds to my order. I would highly recommend this seller.
Positive albee703
Sterling, VA
January 4, 2012
I ordered the specialty seed slecting sub-tropical iris. The seeds I selected arrived today 1/4/12. It took less than a week to get the seeds and meanwhile I am waiting for a shipment of plants from California ordered in the same time frame.

I will certainly reorder seeds from Tanya and highly recoomend her service to anyone.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
September 7, 2011
I ordered 17 packs of seed,ordered was fulfilled,nicely packaged and in good shape.I will order from them again,however order took about five weeks from South Africa to New York but well worth the wait.
Positive karyn1
Silver Spring, MD
September 7, 2011
I placed an order, got immediate email confirmation and was sent a tracking number within a couple days. The seeds arrived in 10 days which is faster then many local companies. They were well packaged and appear healthy. So far so good. They have a nice selection of some hard to find varieties and reasonable prices. The shipping charge to the US was reasonable as well.
Positive SpaceCase418
Annapolis, MD
April 2, 2011
I recommend this company very highly. i recently ordered some very rare seeds from them. i paid with my paypal and it automatically gave them my old address. i didn't realize this until after my order processed. i panicked and sent emails to every email listed on the site and my confirmation email. within 4 hours Tanya responded and told me not to worry they would change the address. i thanked her profusely. Less than two weeks later my package arrived (this came from halfway around the globe). i consider that very fast shipping considering i've waited much longer for items coming from a hundred miles away. When i opened the package there were nine seed packages instead of the 5 i ordered. THANKS FOR GREAT BUSINESS TANYA!
Positive Hadeda
South Africa
March 19, 2011
I ordered a couple of times and got the seeds after a week and a bit... Most if not all of the seeds germinated :) I highly recommend her
Positive bulborum
March 14, 2011
Fast delivery ,good contact and reasonable prices

Positive Celene
Columbus, OH
February 1, 2011
I ordered seeds last year and this year. I re-ordered because I had better germination than I'd had with Ficus purchased elsewhere. The seeds were well-packed, shipped and received in a timely fashion.