The scoop on 'The Hosta Farm'

The Hosta Farm

3501 Louisa Road
Coeburn, Virginia 24230 (United States)

Phone: 800-673-1134
Fax: 800-673-1134

This company is affiliated with Gorge Top Gardens (also dba perennial-gardening.com)

Comments:

Positive brdonnelly
Coventry, RI
July 29, 2015
I bought 5 "Remember Me" hostas. They came in looking very healthy and are a great addition to my newly refinished garden. Thanx Hosta Farm.
Positive Bullet12345
Schaumburg, IL
July 20, 2015
After reading several reviews about late shipments I was somewhat concerned about getting my plants early enough to plant this season since it was already half way through the summer. I read the Hosta Farm explanation about them having heavy snowfalls that damaged some of their greenhouses and delaying shipments. I live in the Chicago area and we had 81" of snow this past winter and there were some roof cave ins of houses and businesses here also and I have relatives that live in the Western Virginia/Kentucky area, where Hosta Farm is located, so their explanation was VERY plausible and understandable. So I chose to go for it and I placed an order with them. My plants arrived on time and were in EXCELLENT condition. Better than I expected. The roots were moist and the plants had no broken stems or leaves. Their overall condition was as if I had purchased them at a local nursery. Very satisfied and I will be ordering from them in the future.
Negative vitz
July 14, 2015
Posted on July 12, 2015, updated July 14, 2015
Posted on July 7, 2015, updated July 12, 2015
ordered hostas june 6th. shipout should\\\'ve been the week of the 12/15th, per their email. on the 18th, i contacted them and an excuse of \\\'winter storms\\\' causing delay was given. i explained how the delay, the excuse, and some of their reviews was getting me concerned and agitated.new shipout date (given by them) was 7/6. (\\\'at the latest\\\' -their words).

sent them an email on the 5th that if they didn\\\'t have the ordered shipped out in full, and with exactly what i ordered, to cancel and refund the cc (no check in the mail or other bs). they cancelled the order (which means that all claims by them were bogus) and did not refund the cc. contacted the bank to start a chargeback, contacted the bbb for complaint. considering contacting the fbi and/or to start a class action lawsuit against them. all they do is swindle you and say how they\\\'re so great because they sold some garbage to martha stewart (pathetic, as she was also investigated for fraud, iirc, heh). joined this site specifically to warn anyone who finds this via a google search to avoid the hosta farm and any \\\'gorge-top\\\' garden site like the plague. DO NOT DO business w/ these folks. at the least, you won\\\'t get your order on time. anyone who wants to join me in a possible group action lawsuit against these swindlers is more than welcome to contact me via this forum. -vitz
On July 12th, 2015, vitz added the following:

\"We had greenhouses collapse during snow storms in March/April, which damaged plants and we basically had to start the growing process over at this late date. This put the shipping behind from the start which we have almost caught up with at this time.\"

and yet, when i placed my order in *JUNE*, no mention was made of this. not, in fact, **until i asked what\'s going on AFTER **non shipout by date promised**. NOR is any mention made on the website, or in an email when order is confirmed. NOR did they have the stock by THEIR SECOND COMMITMENT DATE.

ipso facto, they never had what i ordered, and charged me anyway,

this is fraudulent behavior, at the least, and repetitive fraudulent behavior, (with others), to boot. you\'ll be investigated. i promise.
On July 14th, 2015, vitz added the following:

and, for the record, posting *anyone's* private information in any reply to any review is very bad form, terrible manners, and shows everyone just how much you respect the privacy of those you interact with. i've asked the owner's of this site to delete the personal info you've posted in violation of general basic privacy standards. and calling people names like 'nutjob' because they gave you a negative review is thoroughly unnacceptable behavior for anyone in commerce. it's also extremely childish.
Company representative comment on July 14, 2015:
We had greenhouses collapse during snow storms in March/April, which damaged plants and we basically had to start the growing process over at this late date. This put the shipping behind from the start which we have almost caught up with at this time. This customer's order was cancelled and refunded, due to him basically being a nut and sending emails using foul language of which I have saved and should file charges against this gentleman(NOT). As with any company dealing with the public, you sometimes have to deal with customers who are mentally unstable, so we just cancel and refund their orders and move on. As stated before we fill thousand of orders each year and have our loyal customers and do not need his business. I will also post a copy of the cancelled order which shows his refund, so he can contact anyone he wishes.

Store Manager > Retrieve Orders > Order 27103

Order ID yhst-93407786163746-27103
Marked Cancelled (not counted in stats)
Mark Reason Customer changed mind
Date Sat Jun 6 19:25:24 PDT 2015
Ship to [personal information redacted]
US United States

map
ship-weeks Week 12 = Week of June 15
Bill to Same
E-Mail [personal information redacted] (emailed)
Via UPS Ground
Tracking Information
Tracking #

Payment
Visa EXPIRED
Approval: 182053 Auth Code: A for up to 138.45
AVS: YYY (Addr OK Zip5 OK)
CVV: M (Code Match)
Yahoo Network Order: No
Order XID # x5494253562
Entry point http://www.thehostafarm.com/html/blue-cadet.html
IP Address [personal information redacted]
Comments my only request is making sure there's proper labeling of each cultivar. you can ship 'no signature required'/ l'eave at door'. TIA
optionsMark Order

Merchant Notes
Process through Intuit
Amount:
[Submit batch] [Review batches]
UPS, the UPS Shield trademark, the UPS Ready mark and the Color Brown are trademarks of United Parcel Service of America, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2015 Yahoo Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy - Copyright Policy - Terms of Service - Help - Contact Us

Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm
Positive baufuller
Mount Carroll, IL
July 13, 2015
I am a new customer to TheHostaFarm this spring. I originally ordered 4 hosta earlier in the season. There was a small but acceptable delay in the delivery of that order and I was kept informed of 'weather-related' changes to my original delivery date. When those hosta arrived, they were beyond my expectations, with large, well-formed root systems and several eyes on the the larger variety. These I promptly planted and they are thriving! Shortly thereafter I placed a second order for 4 other varieties. That is when the fun began! My delivery date came and went. When I emailed about when to expect delivery, I was given a new, later date, which to me was understandable with the extensive rainy weather the country and our region had been having. Unfortunately, we were going to be out of town when the rescheduled hosta were due to come, and I contacted and worked with Kevin to defer that delivery until we would be back home. I thought things were all set, but then I unexpectedly got a 'your hosta have been shipped' notice; again contacted Kevin and he aborted that delivery. When we returned from vacation, the next 'new' delivery date passed...I was getting worried that this order was beyond salvage and I had already been billed for the shipment that was cancelled; again contacted Kevin [I think we are getting to be very good friends!] and shortly thereafter the hosta were shipped. They arrived in perfect condition, nice plants with huge, vigorous root systems. I potted these all, fearing a summer planting, and knew I would be able to monitor them better in pots for now. I did send Kevin a note to this effect, and he assured me these hosta most likely will be fine with my now deferred planting plan [September, for my zone], and would/could be replaced come spring if need be. I feel very comfortable dealing with this company. They have been very receptive to my requests. I understand that in business, 'stuff' sometimes happens and it is how that adversity is handled that shows their character. I have seen some negative comments; maybe I am just more patient than some of the other posters. But, I would not hesitate to recommend TheHostaFarm if you are interested in a nice variety of choices at fair prices and very healthy, vigorous plants.
Positive kepford67
Springfield, MO
July 9, 2015
I recently ordered 8 hostas and a heuchurera, it was my first order with the hosta farm . I received them yesterday and I couldn't be happier, I'm a Master Gardner and I've looked all summer for a few of the gorgeous blue hostas they had , I was so impressed at the quality of the plants, the prices and variety are outstanding!!! There was supposed to be a couple of days delay in delivery, but they actually came really fast and earlier then expected. They were fantastic about keeping me posted about the delivery date and time frame , I've never had any company do that . I've read both good and bad reviews and I think it's pretty cool that their company representative responded to every negative review, and it sure seemed to me they were doing their best to make things right and make everyone happy , I've yet to deal with another online company who's ever done anything like that . I will definitely be continuing to order from hosta farm , I look forward to seeing all the new hostas they keep bringing out and I'm so happy I discovered them !! I 110% recommend them .
Negative pbgardens
Anoka, MN
July 1, 2015
Posted on July 1, 2015, updated July 1, 2015

On July 1st, 2015, pbgardens added the following:

Sorry, my computer did not properly save and post the details:

I really wanted to like this place. Cute name, efficient, if Spartan, website. My experience left me greatly wanting, however.

I placed an order around May 11, and received it three and one-half WEEKS later. By far the slowest delivery. Their excuse was bad weather damaged their greenhouse. I checked their local weather history, and it seems likely this is, in fact, true. However, they don’t tell you that up front when you order. You order, are given a delivery week, mine was the following week, and off you go. I find this deceitful, and told them so after the fact. It appears they knew they couldn’t meet this date, as the following week I was told “we’re two weeks behind.” Even that was missed. They may have been “blessed” with many orders (their words), but I don’t feel blessed for having to wait SO long. I also told them I believe they know they would miss orders if they made the delay clear upon ordering, so provide dates they will miss. Compare this to Land of the Giants Hosta Farm, which recently took down their site for about two weeks, so they could catch up. That’s being up front and honest, and I appreciate that.

Anyway, the plants I received were literally a mixed bag. One was potted, some were in what was probably left of an Ellepot (not that this was bad). Several were bare root (as in dormant - dry), although some of these were supposed to be in Ellepots, while others were as advertised. One plant was of decent size, one of the bare root plants has emerged in a nice size, but all the rest are SMALL. You pay for time with plants, and these plants are a couple years behind what I’ve received elsewhere. I contacted them, and they gave an additional credit for some of the bare root plants, which I appreciate. They were easy to work with regarding this. Even after this, however, I see better value elsewhere.

One benefit of the wait was I had a chance to investigate their seemingly perpetual sale. It seemed odd that no matter when I looked at their website this year it was everything half price. I find that business model deceptive, because if the sale is always on, you’re really not getting a deal, because what really is their regular price? Their regular prices are above what Land of the Giants and Savory’s charge, and they are at the top of the price scale, Am I to believe that they sell their small plants at those higher prices? If not, then I’m really not getting a discount, right? Something to think about is Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16, Part 233 (make your own call, I am not a lawyer).

My rating sits on the fence of Neutral and Negative, but I lean negative due to my opinion of their seemingly perpetual sales You may find it fine, and if so, good for you. Their prices (when on sale) are hard to beat, but the delay was unacceptable, the lack of a true delivery date up front also unacceptable, and the plants were just OK. If you are on a tight budget and have time, this may be the place for you.
Company representative comment on July 8, 2015:
On Jul 8, 2015 9:08 AM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

Sorry about the delay in shipping, as we are a small business and had the worst weather year that we have had in 25 years of business. Everything is back on schedule as we have caught up with shipping. Again I apologize for the delay in shipping. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm

Negative dagrifka
Livonia, MI
June 15, 2015
I placed a large order with this company last Feb. to be shipped the middle of May. Two weeks after my order was due, no order. I tried calling and calling. I left messages but got no response. I tried emailing and did finally get a response stating they were a month behind. At the same time I got a phone call, I was voicing my concerns, and the person was saying "UPS was......" and got hung up on. No return call and no response. I I emailed again and got a response that my order was to be shipped out that week. A week later, no plants. I called again and the man said he wasn't sure why my order hadn't come up and said he would get it out. Two to three days later, my order comes, but it is one small box, not my $400 order. Inside was one of the plants I ordered and one random hosta. It included a note stating they had a snowstorm that took out four greenhouses, had tried to get more plants but those that came in were inferior, but he sent what he could AND DID INCLUDE A FULL REFUND. I appreciate that, but now all of my stores are out of Hostas of any varieties that are interesting and I have a hosta garden sitting bare!
Company representative comment on July 8, 2015:
On Jul 8, 2015 9:16 AM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

I apologize for this order not being fulfilled as the damage to the greenhouses and plants were severe. We have now repaired all of the damage and will be back next season with a full line of quality plants. If anyone has or has not ran a small business which depends on the weather cooperating knows this is a challenge at the least. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm

Positive homeharvester
Canfield, OH
June 11, 2015
Huge pat on the back for this company. This was my first order and will not be my last. Order was mainly for hosta varieties; all were very large, most 4-6" tall with at least a 4" root ball. Order was shipped when they promised but I was unable to get to the package until 7 days later; was sure I would have lost most of the order; the only plant to suffer was a Pinky Winky hydrangea (which is now resting in my shaded nursery area and looking much better), everything else was fine, not even slightly wilted. And I love that they reuse plant tags because I do the same thing; I never throw out a tag, I use a permanent marker to write the name of the new plant on the tag. They will definitely be on my list of go-to nurseries.
Positive SailorSkip
Smyrna, GA
May 29, 2015
This review is based on my first order with The Hosta Farm. The entire process was effortless and the product was terrific! My order arrived promptly and and every piece (21 hosta) arrived in top notch condition and are thriving in two new hosta beds

In addition, due to my requesting a modification to my original order prior to shipment, I had occasion to be in touch with their Sales Department (Kevin) and I can only say that he went out of his way to ensure my satisfaction. Thank you Hosta Farm and especially Kevin.
Positive KTINYSMOM
Jamestown, NC (Zone 7a)
April 28, 2015
I have ordered 4 times from The Hosta Farm. All of them have been great experiences . They arrived when they said they would, except for this last delivery was 2 weeks late due to bad weather. They answered my email quickly and correctly. All plants were well packaged and arrived healthy, as described. All have grown and thrived as described. I'd hesitate to order from some one else. "Thank you", The Hosta Farm!
Positive hostahope
Marietta, GA
April 22, 2015
I placed an order for hostas from The Hosta Farm. The plants arrived when promised and I was delighted with their condition! I was expecting a bunch of limp little roots...but I received healthy, vigorous plants, much larger than I expected. I will definitely order from The Hosta Farm in the future.
Positive cbdolphinfan
Dallas, TX
March 14, 2015
I have placed 37 orders with The Hosta Farm and have never run into a problem that did not get resolved. They left a few items out of an order last year but took care of it in just a couple of days. I am an avid gardener and shop with with many online and catalog nurseries because they always have plants I can't find locally. The Hosta Farm is my favorite source for Hostas and shade plants.(I do wish they had more shade perennials to choose from) Their plants are of nice size and their pricing is great. Customer service can be a little slow but I just figure it's a small company.
Positive d_boll
Largo MD
United States
March 4, 2015
They are running a name your own price sale for customers on their mailing list and I must have changed my mind on the varieties I wanted and what I was willing to pay dozen times. I felt like I was driving the lady handling the price offers crazy. But she was quick to update my offer and resubmit my pricing form each time and kindly let me know that I was in no way bothersome. So Kim if you see this tell your boss you deserve a raise just for putting up with me today. I have been a customer for three years and have never had a problem with customer service or plant quality. I will be a customer for as long as they will put up with me.
Positive bellknot
February 24, 2015
I placed 3 different orders last year and by mistake doubled up on a variety that I had already ordered. I discovered my mistake the day before the order was to ship out and the plants had already been packed and waiting for UPS to pick them up. Kevin at customer service contacted the shipping manager and they sorted through the stacks of boxes to find mine. They took out the ones I ordered by accident and replaced them with ones I requested. Try to get Amazon to do this for you. I was highly pleased with my plants and my experience with The Hosta Farm and have recommended them to my gardening friends.
Negative TheQueenBee
Momence, IL
September 28, 2014
On September 17th 2013, I placed an order for 2 of the giant hosta species,"Empress Wu." I was charged $43.95. The plants were in good shape, but there's just one thing wrong with them. They aren't the giant Empress Wu variety! These sorry looking hosta's are a tiny ground hugging variety that you have to squint to see. I waited until this September just to make sure, and they haven't grown another inch!
I'll never order from them again, it was a VERY expensive rip off!
Company representative comment on September 29, 2014:
On Sep 29, 2014 7:23 AM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

I am sorry that you are not pleased with your plants. But with that being said all you needed to be do is to return them for a full refund if you are displeased for any reason. As for the variety, I assure you that they are the Empress Wu as our greenhouse mgr/head grower has been doing this for 25 years. I am not sure why they have not grown, but there must be something hindering their growth in your garden such as the soil may need amending. We fill thousands of orders every year with customers from your average gardener to the professionals that care for the gardens at Martha Stewarts properties in NY, of which you can read about on her blog at marthastewart.com and they are more than pleased with the plants they received. Again, I will assure all customers that we stand behind our plants and will still honor our warranty with this customer if she would like to return the plants for a full refund, rather than trying to tarnish our image by coming to sites such as davesgarden and complaining about our plants without contacting us at all about her concerns. We cannot offer a solution when we have not been contacted and given the oppurtunity to resolve the matter to the customers satisfaction. On of the average 5000 orders per year, we have very few complaints about our plants as we ship the same plants to everyone including Martha Stewart who loved them, so I dont understand how her plants and many others plants are wonderful specimens and these few people get the so-called sorry looking plants when they all come from the same stock. I hate to be blunt, but I have came to the conclusion that some people just love to complain and thats the world that we live in. In closing I would like to assure all potential customers that we sell only the best quality/healthy plants at the best prices, and stand behind our plants if for any reason you are not satisfied.

On Sep 29, 2014 7:27 AM, The Hosta Farm added:

Negative stlialex
Campbellsburg, IN
September 14, 2014
Posted on September 14, 2014, updated September 14, 2014
Posted on June 7, 2014, updated September 14, 2014
We recently ordered from The Hosta Farm for the first time. We are very pleased with our plants. They arrived in good condition and are thriving in our garden. I just sent another order today and am looking forward to receiving our hostas. Thanks so much for the great experience we have had with your company. On my first order I could not get one of the hostas to add to my cart. I emailed about this and was told they would check to see if they had any in the greenhouse. When my order arrived, the hosta in question was included free of charge. Thanks so much!
On September 14th, 2014, stlialex changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

After placing several orders with The Hosta Farm, we were pretty pleased, until this last experience. We waited a couple of months to receive two hostas. When a week had passed after the promised delivery date we called to check on our order. No one ever answers the phone. They did call me back and said they were behind and I should have my order in about a week or so. After another week, my order still had not arrived. I emailed and asked again about my order and requested they send me a free hosta for my trouble. I gave them the names of two hostas that I would like to have. They agreed to send me a free hosta. When my order arrived, no free hosta and one of the plants was very very small. The email I received said my order was complete. I emailed back and indicated I did not receive a free hosta as promised. The response was that they were out of one of the hosta I mentioned. No mention of the more expensive one! I received another email and they said they had a plug of the cheaper hosta and would send that. I said no thanks, remove me from your email list I am done with them!
On September 14th, 2014, stlialex added the following:

This is all new information. None of this had been communicated to me by email or phone. If it had been, I
would have understood the delay. One thing I don't understand is that I requested one of two hostas free. I
was told Bridal Falls was out of stock and you would send
a plug of it. I had also requested Rhino Hide. On your
website both hostas show in stock. If you have Rhino Hide, why can't you not send that out to me now? Or if both
are out of stock, I will pick out something else, if you want to satisfy your customers. Also I feel your communication needs to vastly improve with your customers so they don't have to resort to something like this website.
Company representative comment on September 29, 2014:
On Sep 14, 2014 4:24 PM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

I understand that customers want their order to be on time, but to the greenhouse managers defense, alot had happened right at the start of the fall shipping season. It is a family business and one of his family members/hosta farm employee who plays a major role in shipping had a spouse who nearly lost a leg in a mowing accident and almost a life if someone hadn\'t just happened to see the mower overturned below the roadway. So for some orders to be late is understandable with all that they have been through this September. We try our best to meet our customers needs and will go out of our way to try to satisfy their expectations and hate to lose any customers. We will ship the full size plant when it is available if he still wants it in the spring. Free of Charge.

On Sep 29, 2014 7:36 AM, The Hosta Farm added:

Our greenhouse mgr/head grower located some of the plants that this customer requested and shipped it to them free of charge.

Positive mickplu
Ann Arbor, MI
June 24, 2014
I ordered 4 different hostas from The Hosta Farm a few weeks ago. Ordering online was easy and reliable. Shipping was quick and I was notified of when to expect the plants. Less than one week after planting the new hostas, all have sprouted several new leaves. I was impressed with the pricing, quality of plants and service.
Positive Tiptreegirl
Londonderry, NH
June 9, 2014
My order was supposed to arrive last Friday however there was a delay at UPS that prevented getting them to me.
So I spent the weekend in despair that my little plants were sitting in a hot warehouse.
The truck finally arrived late in the day on Monday. Fortunately my son was home and he put them into some moist soil in the garage.
Got them into the ground on Tuesday and gave them a good water. But then it was a busy work week so I did not see daylight at home until early on Friday. Looked out the window at the back bed and saw 8 wonderful green baby hostas who had taken root and were in just a few days flourishing beautifully.
Could not believe how much they had grown!
What a testament to the quality of the plants from the Hosta Farm. Will definitely be back for more.
Positive n23foster
Catonsville, MD
June 7, 2014
I placed my first order to The Hosta Farm 10 days ago for 2 hosta, 1 lung wart, + some foxglove. Emailed the company to add more things to the order on Saturday. The adjusted order was sent out on Monday + arrived Wednesday. I've never had such speedy service. The plants were good size + healthy. Well packaged. I was very impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Positive HortNbio
Omaha, NE
June 7, 2014
The Hosta Farm has won me over as a repeat customer for these reasons: 1). They always have the best selection of Hosta cultivars, old and new; 2). Plants arrive healthy and vigorous. 3). Their prices are VERY reasonable; and 4). Their customer service is outstanding. You may never need to contact them post-purchase, but when a perennial we planted last year didn't come back this spring (they sell shade-loving perennials and beautiful ferns too), I emailed them and Kevin quickly made it right.

I highly recommend these folks, especially if you can't find the cool varieties that you really want at your local nurseries, don't want to spend an arm and a leg for ratty specimens, and are leery about buying live plant material online - like I once was.
Positive ekcheng
Nashville, TN
June 2, 2014
I ordered about ten hosta (bareroot) plants from Hosta Farms -- they were at a good price and mailordering seemed convenient. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews here though.

In short, my order with them was a success. They arrived quickly, and within a week of being planted, the bareroots sprouted. It's been two and a half weeks, and my formerly bareroot plants look almost as full as the small potted ones I bought at a community sale one month ago.

Couldn't be happier and will be buying from them in the future.
Positive LIMom
Baxter Estates, NY
May 15, 2014
I needed a handful of inexpensive Hostas and Astilbes to fill in a bulk order from a more-expensive company that didn't include as many plants or as much variety as I had expected. Having read the appeal from Kevin, I decided to give The Hosta Farm a try. I couldn't be more pleased with my decision. Here's why:
1. Their prices were excellent.
2. The order was shipped promptly and correctly.
3. Four of the plants were bare-root, and were about average quality for mail-order bare-root plants--on par with the ones I purchased from the more-expensive company. (I've been doing mail-order gardening for over 20 years, so I have a lot of experience.) Two of the plants (the Hosta "Loyalists") were leafed out and beautiful--some of the nicest plants I've ever received by mail.
4. Within 10 days of planting, the bare-root plants emerged, and all plants are now flourishing.
In short, I am completely satisfied with my experience and will certainly consider The Hosta Farm as one of my reliable sources for the future.

Positive Bartell
Rochester, MI
May 8, 2014
I ordered three hostas back in March from this company. I rec'd one leaved-out plant with a good root ball, and two bare-root plants (in loose soil). All three were quickly planted and are doing beautifully. The only suggestion I would make is for the inclusion of planting instructions (for bare-root plants) ;-)

Thanks, Hosta Farm!

L. Bartell, MI
Negative prioreb
Atlanta, GA (Zone 8a)
May 7, 2014
I purchased 6 Dicentra 'Bleeding Hearts,' and they just arrived at my home. They were advertised with no plant size info, and they have a link about their "Ellepot" potting that you will receive. The plants that just arrived on not potted, were poorly packed as bare root, and they are so microscopic there isn't even any foliage - it is like a draping of roots and a base. This is insane! I am furious about this!
Company representative comment on May 7, 2014:
On May 7, 2014 8:17 PM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

I have been in contact with this customer. I explained that if he had read the culture information about the plants he ordered, it explains that they are shipped as bare root plants. I also have offered numerous times to refund the entire order plus shipping cost if he would return the order, which he has refused to do. We ship thousands of orders each year and do our best to satisfy our customers, but some are impossible to please.

Positive sales
Wise, VA
December 29, 2013
My name is Kevin with TheHostaFarm and I am now taking care of all customer service issues. Anyone having a negative experience with TheHostaFarm should contact me at sales@thehostafarm.com and we will do our best to resolve any issues. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm
Negative ikztiks
Parkman, OH
June 6, 2013
It has been a couple of years since I ordered from this company. I am usually hesitant about giving negative reviews, but two years later, my experience with them still hurts.

I ordered a Hosta "T-Rex" and a heuchera, whose name I don't recall, but it was a frosted green color.

I mailed my order in, with a check. Time went by, and my order did not arrive. I emailed and called the company, and eventually they sent some plants. The hosta I received did not resemble a T-Rex, and the heuchera was deep red, but it had a marker with a photo of the green heuchera that I'd ordered.

I did not pursue the matter at the time because I was just glad to get something for my money. I am posting this today because I don't want anyone else to get stung.
Negative Erieside
Euclid, OH
May 28, 2013
I don't know if my hydrangeas are on the way or not. I have emailed three times without a response from thf, I have called the 800 number, disconnected, I called my credit card company and they gave me a different number, also disconnected.
Negative gardenlady_25
Edgewood, WA
April 29, 2013
I purchased a few plants from the Hosta Farm on Jan 12 it was due to ship on March 25. I sent them an email to find out if my product shipped yet I got a response that they had snow so after 2 emails and no shipment I decided to cancel my order it is April 29th after about 11 emails I still have not received a refund and I'm disputing with my credit card company. The credit card company says after 30 to 60 day they cant help but since I canceled and have sent them all my emails I have a good chance. I believe the The Hosta Farm puts you off intentionally as they know the limits of credit card companies. my nest step is to contact attorney general in that area in the future if you cant contact a company by phone RED FLAG!
Negative Rick_M
Derwood, MD (Zone 7b)
June 16, 2012
Posted on June 8, 2010, updated June 16, 2012
I ordered (6) Hosta Empress Wu back in March. The plants arrived in excellent condition in mid-April as I had scheduled.. I was able to plant half of them right away in their permanent location. The other three remained in their shipping bag for another 10 days.

All of them are now planted and getting established in their new home. While they are growing rather slowly, I attribute this to the below average temps we've had most of the time since planting. I expect that they will really take off once the weather stays reliably warm.
On June 16th, 2012, Rick_M changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

16-Jun-2012

I really hate doing this. I have purchased from The Hosta Farm for several years, and been very happy. Until now.

I ordered a couple of dozen of hosta as a gift for my sister, who is re-doing her landscaping. Normally, I would hear back within a couple of days. This time, nothing. I called. I E-Mailed. Nothing. Today, I received my credit card statement in the mail. There, in black and white, was a refund for my entire purchase price. I never did hear from The Hosta Farm. They just refunded my money and nothing else.

At this point, I'm ready to give up on them. It's too bad, because the vast majority of hosta that I have came from them. ( I currently have around 250 plants in some 30 varieties.)

Maybe I'll try again in the spring.
Negative InTheShadeToo
Madison, WI
June 7, 2012
My first experience with the Hosta Farm was very positive. The plants were shipped as stated on the invoice/order and I was charged the correct amount. Their website is wonderful. I ordered again and the invoice amount was incorrect. I emailed them asking for their Half-on-half discount. This was a discount they e-mailed to me. That is when I noticed that they have no phone contact.. Yikes. I went to the parent company Gorge and their phones are down too. I emailed the Hosta Farm several times asking for the Half-on-half discount and never got anywhere. The person responding to my e-mails seemed to purposefully misunderstand what I was asking for. And with the phones down I had no way else to communicate. Also, there was a hold up on the ship date. I finally gave up and cancelled my order... too bad they have really nice plants.
Negative coramaybelle
Benton, ME
June 1, 2012
I placed my first and last order with this company this year

Received my order in good time but one of the hosta had every leaf broken , the tex rex they send was tiny and dry,
the orther hostas had all had most of their leaves cut off by the company ?

I have ordered hostas from other companies for years and have never received such poor quality plants as I did from the Hosta Farms I will never order from them again.

Negative wakingdream
Allentown, PA
May 20, 2012
I found this company when researching Hostas online and I decided to order some from them. I wish I had looked here at the ratings beforehand. My parcel came two weeks after ordering, arriving May16th 2012. This was one week later than they stated.

I requested 4 varieties. Only 3 Hostas came. The company had 14 days to alert me to the fact that one hosta was unavailable, and to give me a chance to order something else, but no one contacted me.

The hosta which was "unavailable" is still offered on their website at this time (May 20th), which now has gone to "half of half" off sale. Unusual math is evident here, as a $10 Hosta went down to $6 for half off. The 3 plants I did receive were okay. Two were leafed out, one was bareroot with no top growth but good roots. It remains to be seen how they perform. I sent an email to the company a few days ago expressing regret about the missing hosta, and not having a chance to choose another, and have not heard back yet.
The website lists shipping charges as $10.95 but I was charged $11.95. Reason given: UPS charged more due to gas prices. Why didn't they change that shipping price on their website? It's deceptive.
I am also uneasy to see that the website says phones and faxes are down, please email. This signifies to me The Hosta Farm does not want to talk to any customers personally. They have a wide variety of Hostas, but they need to be willing to serve customers better.
Negative waterfallsandra
Chester, VT
September 13, 2011
Last year, I bought some inexpensive hostas from them...and they grew OK. Puny, but alive. This year, they didn't send my orders when they promised they would. When I assumed that it was due to flooding, I waited. Their phone number was taken off the website. I sent emails, and no response. Three weeks after any weather, still no response. I had to cancel my order, because I am leaving the state for two weeks, and since they are so late, I can't get the plants in the ground. No response. I filed a PayPal dispute, and MAGICALLY the plants started to appear today: dry, puny, some missing (without a credit or refund). The final shipment? Apparently sent for the day I have to get on the plane. No response from the company, no nuthin'. They just took my money and ran. BEWARE - this is a rotten company that will take your money and may or may not send you plants that you can use. In their case, you don't even get what you pay for.
Negative buttercup42
Entiat, WA
September 13, 2011
Notified Hosta Farm in April about the 4 Hostas that I received from them that did not survive our winter....they all had a years guarantee on them. Was told it would be a few weeks by a gal named April. Further e-mails when not received and was then told it was up to the manager...wrote him a letter, no response. Calls went unanswered. Their switchboard is for 3 different companies. Again recently sent another e-mail. Was told that April was no longer there and they were having problems getting everything straightened out. Was told again after they found my address, order # etc. the hostas would be sent out "next week" by someone named Tra. That was 3 weeks ago. Had offered to sent back the plants, send pictures, whatever it took to have them replaced. Several hostas ordered cannot be found on other websites. Their shipping prices are over the hill, so would prefer to have the plants rather than a refund as these were to be gifts for my sons new home. American Meadows has all my business now. Great customer service and quality plants.
Negative hostamoms
Schofield, WI
July 22, 2011
I received my order in June for two White Feather hosta and received two completely different plants. I emailed and received a reply back from an April within two days. Said she had to talk to the manager. Didn't get a reply for week or two so I left a phone message. Nothing. Emailed again, April said manager was out of town until after July 4th and if I didn't get a call from manager to call. Left yet another message. Nothing..
Sent an email complaining about quality of service. Nothing, zero! What poor service. They have my money and I have two hosta and do not know what either of them are. I will NEVER, EVER order from this company. Poor, poor service.
Glad I found this site to voice my concerns.
Thanks
Negative bb688
Corryton, TN
June 29, 2011
What was initially a positive buying experience has quickly soured, because I can't get the company to do anything about having sent me the wrong plant. I've been emailing The Hosta Farm since May 25 and according to "April", my email was being forwarded to the "manager" who was going to handle the matter. That was over a month ago. After the first few emails, my communication attempts--both emails and voice mail messages--have gone unanswered. It seems painfully obvious that The Hosta Farm is ignoring me and has no intention of resolving this matter to my satisfaction. By now, I would have placed another order with The Hosta Farm, but I refuse to reward bad customer service. The Hosta Farm wants me to just go away, and I'm going... but not before warning other prospective customers. Thank you, dave's watchdog!
Positive daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY
June 27, 2011
I placed 2 orders with The Hosta Farm this spring and I am very happy with the plants! My first order contained Hostas and Heuchera and they were all very healthy and now are growing very well! My second order came just 2 weeks ago and all of the Hostas, Heuchera, Heucherella and Ferns were healthy plants, as well as the dormant roots. ALL of the plants are doing well. I would recommend this company as a good nursery to buy from and will definetly order from them again!!!
Negative dirthound
Cohocton, NY
May 12, 2011
Posted on July 22, 2010, updated May 12, 2011
Very nice plants ,all half price plus 10 percent off that.Good communication and fast delivery. Would recommend.
Have some hard to find ones.
On May 12th, 2011, dirthound changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Ordered 50% sale plus additional 15% off. Hostas come grown in ellepot, OK . Bareroot hosta needed magnifying glass to see. Heucherella (4) described on web as grown in ellepot (65mm), came as 1" x1 3/4"wholesalers plug. As expected , email was not returned. Thank god I did not buy at full price. NEVER again.
Negative gardenlady60
Lawrenceville, GA
May 11, 2011
I have been trying since March to get replacement for hosta under their 1 year guarentee. I have e-mail confirming replacements would be shipped. When no replacements received and I contacted company I was told my records were no longer in data base but their cus svc rep April remembered my case. I have all my correspondance regarding this case and am getting nowhere. Does anyone know how to contact the owner of this company? This company is too dificult to deal with if there is a problem.
Positive marybud
Montrose, WV
July 14, 2010
I am so pleased to have found "The Hosta Farm" in which to order hosta (s) which I found very difficult to obtain.
This company processed my orders (3) in a timely manner with great detail to shipment and preservation of these plants.
My search was for "Fire and Ice" a lovely small green and white hosta plant. A mixup in shipping was resolved in a professional manner with no questions asked and replacements were handled with courteous service and no additional charges.
I would recommend this supplier without reservation while knowing any purchaser would not be disappointed in the product(s) received.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]