The scoop on 'The Hosta Farm'

The Hosta Farm

3501 Louisa Road
Coeburn, Virginia 24230 (United States)

Phone: 800-673-1134
Fax: 800-673-1134

This company is affiliated with Gorge Top Gardens (also dba perennial-gardening.com)

Comments:

Positive sales
Wise, VA
December 29, 2013
My name is Kevin with TheHostaFarm and I am now taking care of all customer service issues. Anyone having a negative experience with TheHostaFarm should contact me at sales@thehostafarm.com and we will do our best to resolve any issues. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm
Negative ikztiks
Parkman, OH
June 6, 2013
It has been a couple of years since I ordered from this company. I am usually hesitant about giving negative reviews, but two years later, my experience with them still hurts.

I ordered a Hosta "T-Rex" and a heuchera, whose name I don't recall, but it was a frosted green color.

I mailed my order in, with a check. Time went by, and my order did not arrive. I emailed and called the company, and eventually they sent some plants. The hosta I received did not resemble a T-Rex, and the heuchera was deep red, but it had a marker with a photo of the green heuchera that I'd ordered.

I did not pursue the matter at the time because I was just glad to get something for my money. I am posting this today because I don't want anyone else to get stung.
Negative Erieside
Euclid, OH
May 28, 2013
I don't know if my hydrangeas are on the way or not. I have emailed three times without a response from thf, I have called the 800 number, disconnected, I called my credit card company and they gave me a different number, also disconnected.
Negative gardenlady_25
Edgewood, WA
April 29, 2013
I purchased a few plants from the Hosta Farm on Jan 12 it was due to ship on March 25. I sent them an email to find out if my product shipped yet I got a response that they had snow so after 2 emails and no shipment I decided to cancel my order it is April 29th after about 11 emails I still have not received a refund and I'm disputing with my credit card company. The credit card company says after 30 to 60 day they cant help but since I canceled and have sent them all my emails I have a good chance. I believe the The Hosta Farm puts you off intentionally as they know the limits of credit card companies. my nest step is to contact attorney general in that area in the future if you cant contact a company by phone RED FLAG!
Negative Rick_M
Derwood, MD (Zone 7b)
June 16, 2012
Posted on June 8, 2010, updated June 16, 2012
I ordered (6) Hosta Empress Wu back in March. The plants arrived in excellent condition in mid-April as I had scheduled.. I was able to plant half of them right away in their permanent location. The other three remained in their shipping bag for another 10 days.

All of them are now planted and getting established in their new home. While they are growing rather slowly, I attribute this to the below average temps we've had most of the time since planting. I expect that they will really take off once the weather stays reliably warm.
On June 16th, 2012, Rick_M changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

16-Jun-2012

I really hate doing this. I have purchased from The Hosta Farm for several years, and been very happy. Until now.

I ordered a couple of dozen of hosta as a gift for my sister, who is re-doing her landscaping. Normally, I would hear back within a couple of days. This time, nothing. I called. I E-Mailed. Nothing. Today, I received my credit card statement in the mail. There, in black and white, was a refund for my entire purchase price. I never did hear from The Hosta Farm. They just refunded my money and nothing else.

At this point, I'm ready to give up on them. It's too bad, because the vast majority of hosta that I have came from them. ( I currently have around 250 plants in some 30 varieties.)

Maybe I'll try again in the spring.
Negative InTheShadeToo
Madison, WI
June 7, 2012
My first experience with the Hosta Farm was very positive. The plants were shipped as stated on the invoice/order and I was charged the correct amount. Their website is wonderful. I ordered again and the invoice amount was incorrect. I emailed them asking for their Half-on-half discount. This was a discount they e-mailed to me. That is when I noticed that they have no phone contact.. Yikes. I went to the parent company Gorge and their phones are down too. I emailed the Hosta Farm several times asking for the Half-on-half discount and never got anywhere. The person responding to my e-mails seemed to purposefully misunderstand what I was asking for. And with the phones down I had no way else to communicate. Also, there was a hold up on the ship date. I finally gave up and cancelled my order... too bad they have really nice plants.
Negative coramaybelle
Benton, ME
June 1, 2012
I placed my first and last order with this company this year

Received my order in good time but one of the hosta had every leaf broken , the tex rex they send was tiny and dry,
the orther hostas had all had most of their leaves cut off by the company ?

I have ordered hostas from other companies for years and have never received such poor quality plants as I did from the Hosta Farms I will never order from them again.

Negative wakingdream
Allentown, PA
May 20, 2012
I found this company when researching Hostas online and I decided to order some from them. I wish I had looked here at the ratings beforehand. My parcel came two weeks after ordering, arriving May16th 2012. This was one week later than they stated.

I requested 4 varieties. Only 3 Hostas came. The company had 14 days to alert me to the fact that one hosta was unavailable, and to give me a chance to order something else, but no one contacted me.

The hosta which was "unavailable" is still offered on their website at this time (May 20th), which now has gone to "half of half" off sale. Unusual math is evident here, as a $10 Hosta went down to $6 for half off. The 3 plants I did receive were okay. Two were leafed out, one was bareroot with no top growth but good roots. It remains to be seen how they perform. I sent an email to the company a few days ago expressing regret about the missing hosta, and not having a chance to choose another, and have not heard back yet.
The website lists shipping charges as $10.95 but I was charged $11.95. Reason given: UPS charged more due to gas prices. Why didn't they change that shipping price on their website? It's deceptive.
I am also uneasy to see that the website says phones and faxes are down, please email. This signifies to me The Hosta Farm does not want to talk to any customers personally. They have a wide variety of Hostas, but they need to be willing to serve customers better.
Negative waterfallsandra
Chester, VT
September 13, 2011
Last year, I bought some inexpensive hostas from them...and they grew OK. Puny, but alive. This year, they didn't send my orders when they promised they would. When I assumed that it was due to flooding, I waited. Their phone number was taken off the website. I sent emails, and no response. Three weeks after any weather, still no response. I had to cancel my order, because I am leaving the state for two weeks, and since they are so late, I can't get the plants in the ground. No response. I filed a PayPal dispute, and MAGICALLY the plants started to appear today: dry, puny, some missing (without a credit or refund). The final shipment? Apparently sent for the day I have to get on the plane. No response from the company, no nuthin'. They just took my money and ran. BEWARE - this is a rotten company that will take your money and may or may not send you plants that you can use. In their case, you don't even get what you pay for.
Negative buttercup42
Entiat, WA
September 13, 2011
Notified Hosta Farm in April about the 4 Hostas that I received from them that did not survive our winter....they all had a years guarantee on them. Was told it would be a few weeks by a gal named April. Further e-mails when not received and was then told it was up to the manager...wrote him a letter, no response. Calls went unanswered. Their switchboard is for 3 different companies. Again recently sent another e-mail. Was told that April was no longer there and they were having problems getting everything straightened out. Was told again after they found my address, order # etc. the hostas would be sent out "next week" by someone named Tra. That was 3 weeks ago. Had offered to sent back the plants, send pictures, whatever it took to have them replaced. Several hostas ordered cannot be found on other websites. Their shipping prices are over the hill, so would prefer to have the plants rather than a refund as these were to be gifts for my sons new home. American Meadows has all my business now. Great customer service and quality plants.
Negative hostamoms
Schofield, WI
July 22, 2011
I received my order in June for two White Feather hosta and received two completely different plants. I emailed and received a reply back from an April within two days. Said she had to talk to the manager. Didn't get a reply for week or two so I left a phone message. Nothing. Emailed again, April said manager was out of town until after July 4th and if I didn't get a call from manager to call. Left yet another message. Nothing..
Sent an email complaining about quality of service. Nothing, zero! What poor service. They have my money and I have two hosta and do not know what either of them are. I will NEVER, EVER order from this company. Poor, poor service.
Glad I found this site to voice my concerns.
Thanks
Negative bb688
Corryton, TN
June 29, 2011
What was initially a positive buying experience has quickly soured, because I can't get the company to do anything about having sent me the wrong plant. I've been emailing The Hosta Farm since May 25 and according to "April", my email was being forwarded to the "manager" who was going to handle the matter. That was over a month ago. After the first few emails, my communication attempts--both emails and voice mail messages--have gone unanswered. It seems painfully obvious that The Hosta Farm is ignoring me and has no intention of resolving this matter to my satisfaction. By now, I would have placed another order with The Hosta Farm, but I refuse to reward bad customer service. The Hosta Farm wants me to just go away, and I'm going... but not before warning other prospective customers. Thank you, dave's watchdog!
Positive daisy_lee
New Hyde Park, NY
June 27, 2011
I placed 2 orders with The Hosta Farm this spring and I am very happy with the plants! My first order contained Hostas and Heuchera and they were all very healthy and now are growing very well! My second order came just 2 weeks ago and all of the Hostas, Heuchera, Heucherella and Ferns were healthy plants, as well as the dormant roots. ALL of the plants are doing well. I would recommend this company as a good nursery to buy from and will definetly order from them again!!!
Negative dirthound
Cohocton, NY
May 12, 2011
Posted on July 22, 2010, updated May 12, 2011
Very nice plants ,all half price plus 10 percent off that.Good communication and fast delivery. Would recommend.
Have some hard to find ones.
On May 12th, 2011, dirthound changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Ordered 50% sale plus additional 15% off. Hostas come grown in ellepot, OK . Bareroot hosta needed magnifying glass to see. Heucherella (4) described on web as grown in ellepot (65mm), came as 1" x1 3/4"wholesalers plug. As expected , email was not returned. Thank god I did not buy at full price. NEVER again.
Negative gardenlady60
Lawrenceville, GA
May 11, 2011
I have been trying since March to get replacement for hosta under their 1 year guarentee. I have e-mail confirming replacements would be shipped. When no replacements received and I contacted company I was told my records were no longer in data base but their cus svc rep April remembered my case. I have all my correspondance regarding this case and am getting nowhere. Does anyone know how to contact the owner of this company? This company is too dificult to deal with if there is a problem.
Positive marybud
Montrose, WV
July 14, 2010
I am so pleased to have found "The Hosta Farm" in which to order hosta (s) which I found very difficult to obtain.
This company processed my orders (3) in a timely manner with great detail to shipment and preservation of these plants.
My search was for "Fire and Ice" a lovely small green and white hosta plant. A mixup in shipping was resolved in a professional manner with no questions asked and replacements were handled with courteous service and no additional charges.
I would recommend this supplier without reservation while knowing any purchaser would not be disappointed in the product(s) received.
Neutral treemon
Buffalo Grove, IL (Zone 5a)
June 28, 2010
Posted on June 26, 2010, updated June 28, 2010
My wife ordered several hostas and they arrived in beautiful condition. However, one hosta, Rhino Hide PPAF, was the wrong plant. Rather than blue with a lighter center the leaves were blue with a gold edge. In addition, the plant was not shipped with the official tag provided by the tissue culture nursery with every patented or PPAF plant. TheHostaFarm.com explained in an email that the plant shipped was the Rhino Hide sent them by their greenhouse and they agreed to refund my money. I still do not have a refund or credit to my credit card account. Customer service was reponsive but not knowlegeable about hosta plants. If and when my refund arrives I will revise the experience to "Neutral" but I would not order a new higher priced hosta from them again.
On June 28th, 2010, treemon changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Customer service was very responsive and credit for the incorrect hosta has been posted to my wife's credit card.
Positive BadgerJim
Eau Claire, WI
June 22, 2010
I ordered 6 hostas in early June. The packaging was great and the plants were perfect. I loved their 1/2 price sales. I'd order from them again in a minute.
Positive peter_w
Newton, NJ
May 25, 2010
I ordered from The Hosta Farm this year for the first time. I was extremeley pleased with the plants I received. All had well established root systems and have exploded into growth since I planted them. The prices were really great. I'll be back next year.