The scoop on 'The Hosta Farm'

The Hosta Farm

3501 Louisa Road
Coeburn, Virginia 24230 (United States)

Phone: 888-418-3683
Fax: 800-673-1134

This company is affiliated with Gorge Top Gardens (also dba

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative Karmi
Old Town, FL
September 22, 2015
My first experience with them was about 6-months ago, and it was very positive (had purchased 6 bare root plants that have thrived).

Recently got an email showing some specials - I purchased some Hosta 'Northern Exposure' that are great plants; however, with this order, I also added 3 hydrangea plants - advertised as $30 plants at 1/2 price. All three are pathetic, but one is the worse plant I have ever seen - the "Pinky Winky". Puny with stringy-looking branches, and may not survive. They asked for pictures when I mentioned it to them...wish I could post them here. Wish they has sent pictures of the plants before I purchased the 3 hydrangea! They couldn't sell such plants if they provided the real pictures of them...not for $15 anyway.

Maybe all online nurseries provide plants like the hydrangea, but I was basically shocked at seeing such plants, especially after the great experience with their bare root deal 6-months earlier. The Hosta 'Northern Exposure' are also healthy good looking plants that one expects from a nursery, so it's sorta like dealing with two different nurseries here...a Jekyll and Hyde experience.
Positive sweetwaterk
Nineveh, IN
September 20, 2015
I just received my hosta's. They are beautiful. The root system is full and healthy. Cathedral Window is stunning. Thank you so much for good descriptions of each plant. My plants from last year have been doing well as I expect these will also. I checked other places for their prices and yours are still the best. Thank you. You are making my garden beautiful.
Positive darlenew66
Erie, PA
September 16, 2015
Posted on August 20, 2015, updated September 16, 2015
Buyers beware of The Hosta Farm. I ordered 30 hosta plants for the business I work for and they were received and planted last September. Come this past spring on 6 of the hostas came back out of all 30. I contact the Hosta Farm on May 12, 2015 to inform them of the 24 hostas that did not return (they supposedly have a guarantee) My first email was answered by Kevin of the Hosta Farm I was told if the plants have never shown any signs of growth that he guesses they would need to replace them. I emailed back and told Kevin that we really appreciated his assistance. I received another email from Kevin informing stating\"Ok, I will forward to the greenhouse mgr to replace or refund the plants, Thank you.\" We have never heard another word from the Hosta Farm, they are impossible to get through to via phone, they don\'t answer our emails and we have received no refund and no replacement plants. Shame on you, Hosta Farm you didn\'t stand behind your email or your guarantee. I will never order from this company again either personally or for the business I work for.
On September 16th, 2015, darlenew66 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

A full refund has been received from The Hosta Farm, a $25.00 website credit was also received. Thank you very much Kevin.
Company representative comment on August 21, 2015:
On Aug 21, 2015 7:49 PM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

Sorry, this issue must have slipped through the cracks somehow as it was entered into the data base to be taken care of. Contact me for a full refund and $25.00 gift certificate. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm

Positive SwedeRacer1
Lake Zurich, IL
August 22, 2015
I have been purchasing hostas from The Hosta Farm for over 7 years now. In this time I have never been disappointed with what I receive. I have ordered well over 125 plants and all but one has thrived and looks amazing. Note, one plant was the victim of two 80 pound Bouviers, death by big paws trampling it over and over so not a warranty issue. Because of my experiences I am hooked on The Hosta Farm and though I can sometimes buy larger plants at the same or lower prices, I can never find the variety. I have never had a concern about ordering plants, I have always been updated on shipping status and they arrive looking fresh and vibrant. If anyone is looking to feed their passion for Hostas, I always recommend The Hosta Farm. I am part of close knit dog group, both show and competition, I shared photos of my dogs in the woodland gardens this year and most everyone commented on the size, variety and colors of my hostas -ALL from The Hosta Farm. I saw some very limited editions coming soon on your website - I cannot wait and hope I catch a few!!!!! Keep up the great work and thank you for helping make the gardens a real statement.
Positive taxingacct
Lisle, IL
August 19, 2015
I have been ordering from The Hosta Farm for several years now and have had nothing but great experiences. They offer a huge variety of hostas at very reasonable prices. The plants come right on time, are packed wonderfully, and are healthy. I will continue to order from them in the future.
Positive ljjones
Erie, PA
August 19, 2015
After deciding to create a hosta garden on our property last year, I found The Hosta Farm site and was amazed at the amount of varieties they had to offer. Because of our extreme PA Great Lakes winters (which I might add seem to be getting worse), I e-mailed the farm with some questions. My e-mail was responded to within a matter of hours. I mailed my order immediately (May of 2014). I received my order promptly. Every plant was in exceptional condition. So much so that I promptly submitted another order. It, too, arrived promptly and in wonderful condition. Come the Fall of 2014, I was so pleased with my new garden that I expanded it and sent in another order. It promptly arrived and all plants were beautiful. There was one plant missing so I e-mailed the company to inquire. They responded immediately, apologized, and said the plant would be shipped immediately. And it was. To my surprise they had also included a "gift" plant (a heuchera) for their error. Now how many companies consider that option? I must thank them for that particular plant because I am now a lover of the heucheras and heucherellas as they compliment hostas wonderfully. I have already submitted two orders this season and am in the process of compiling my Fall order.

I am extremely satisfied with The Hosta Farm and have actually recommended them to several of my friends. I did not know they had been hit by the severe winter storms that raged in several parts of the country this year. Our area which is used to severe winters also experienced more severe weather including heavy ice and much more severe sub-zero weather. This created considerable damage in our area as well. My sympathies to the destruction you have been dealing with. Your pictures reminded me of local damage in our area as well. It's not always easy to quickly recover from such damages ( and yours was massive). I cannot believe the impatience and lack of understanding of some of your customers.

I will most certainly continue to do my business with The Hosta Farm! Thank you for being there!
Positive lamorbain
Novi, MI
August 19, 2015
My first order with The Hosta Farm was great! My order of Humpback Whale hostas arrived at the time it was promised and the stock looked healthy. My concern was that they looked lime green and their description is that of a "blue-green heart shaped" leaf. I emailed The Hosta Farm and Kevin quickly responded putting my fears to rest that that they will return to their correct color next season once planted in full shade...Something to look forward to next Spring! I am also awaiting my 2nd (larger) order of Hostas and Astilbe.
Positive Bkaylynn122
Cottage Grove, MN
August 19, 2015
I ordered a few Pandoras box hostas last year. I got them in great condition and they began to thrive. A few weeks later, one started dying. I emailed the hosta farm for help. They were quick to respond with helpful suggestions for nursing it back to health. As a novice gardener I really appreciated the quick and helpful response. I have ordered from them again. I will get my order in a week or two. I do recommend this company, because they were quick to offer help when I encountered a problem.
Positive Mamslee
Gurnee, IL
August 19, 2015
I have ordered from the Hosta Farm several times and each time the quality of plants is outstanding. The order I placed that got filled this spring was missing plants, I emailed and while there appeared to be some confusion between the customer service rep and the order filler, it did all get straightened out.

It would have been helpful to know they were trying to operate under difficult circumstances, instead of adopting a business as usual facade. Perhaps an email at the start of the season asking for customer patience and loyalty, and explaining why there might be some bumps but bear with us.

Bottom line, great plants, great prices = an abundantly beautiful garden for me and a loyal customer for them.
Positive gardenerJFM
Lehi, UT
August 18, 2015
As a customer of The Hosta Farm I was so saddened to hear of your terrible losses due to the storm. Living in snow country, I know what destruction a bad storm can cause. My heart goes out to you. I did want you to know my orders were filled timely, accurately, and with great quality plants.

I think you have truely done well with what you were given this year, and want you to know you have a life -long customer here. As long as I am above the dirt, I 'll be ordering plants from The Hosta Farm to plant in my dirt!

Best Regards,

Joyce Misdom
Positive Vlmcilrath
Mooresville, NC
August 18, 2015
Absolutely wonderful company! I ordered a little collection of hostas from them, and they are thriving (despite my inexpert care). Great prices, great shipping, great plants. Highly recommended and looking forward to ordering from them again!
Positive Jan_I
Tallahassee, FL
August 18, 2015
I've placed three different orders with The Hosta Farm and have been very pleased with both their plants and their customer service. First, the Brother Stefan and Royal Wedding hostas I ordered are doing great. The plants arrived in excellent condition--and that doesn't always happen here in the Deep South in the summer. The plants were well-hydrated in Elle pots and some were even ready to bloom. After planting, there wasn't any leaf droop and the ones with spikes even bloomed. All are doing well.
I was also pleased with their customer service. I understand that they had storm damage this past winter and needed to rebuild the nursery. They were very responsive via email when I sent a message to inquire about arrival of the plants. They responded to my email the same evening of the day I sent it, stating that they were about two weeks behind schedule this year and apologizing for the delay. As promised, the plants arrived two weeks later in great condition.
I'm quite pleased with the plants and with The Hosta Farm.

Positive MstrPBK
Saint Paul, MN
August 18, 2015
Over the years I have known about the Hosta Farm. This year I decided to make a purchase of some Hosta 'Snake Eyes' from this company.

The plant ordered arrived as they indicated. It would be wise to warn purchasers that The Hosta Farm sends hosta out as rhizome balls only - with no open leaves. As a Midwesterner I found this slightly disconcerting. I went with the flow knowing that each nursery has their own procedures of doing things. I planted the rhizome ball in good faith and the best I could. Within two weeks I had a first leaf up which confirmed that what they sent was what I had ordered.

A short while later I received a note from them indicating they were having an inventory sale due to the effects of a February (2015) Snowstorm. As my family owns a greenhouse and as I live in MN I fully understood the predicament they were in. I submitted a second order for several Hosta 'Vulcan', and Hosta 'Popcorn'.

As Hosta 'Snake Eyes' settled in it has sent up several spikes which at this time are opening to become its first eyes and leaf cluster. The plant looks very healthy. I expect that the order of Vulcan and Popcorn will produce the same when it arrives later this month (week of August 31 to September 5th).

Cleaning up from storm disasters is not an easy thing to do, When your managing an effected business; the business has to both keep the product sales going while at the same time move forward with property clean-up, and restoration. This process is not a one month event - it takes several months if not a few years. I am a person with several disabilities. If I was abled-bodied person I would have found a way to go down to The Hosta Farm to offer 1 weeks time to help clean up but that's not something I can do. BUT I could support them by buying Hosta. Did any of The Hosta Farm's readers stop to consider what they could do to assist them to get back on their feet?

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
Positive petcoff
Wickliffe, KY (Zone 6b)
August 18, 2015
I have had positive experiences with Hosta Farm. Nice plants, well marked, well packaged.
Positive mhatchett
Highland Springs, VA
August 18, 2015
My wife and I have been buying from the Hosta Farm for years and we've never had a bad experience. The plants arrive in good shape, ready to pop in the ground or pot. They run fantastic sales and offer easily payment through paypal, often with no interest. I feel bad that people aren't nore understanding of their situation. As for us, we are customers for life.
Mike & Irene
Richmond, VA
Positive amaniola
Grayslake, IL
August 18, 2015
I ordered 30 Hapsden Blue hosta plants, choosing early June as the shipping date. They notified me about delays due to the storm damage, so I requested by email if my shipment could be held until the week of July 6th. No one would be home for 2 weeks at the end of June and I feared all the plants would die sitting on our porch. The Hosta Farm's response was great. My plants arrived the precise week I requested - and in excellent shape. All plants are thriving.This extra mile on their part is all the more amazing considering the chaos they must have endured.
Positive jasebree
Cedar Falls, IA
August 18, 2015
I'm a newer customer as I've been given a lot of hostas from my neighbors. I was very excited to find that this store had several of the larger varieties like Jurassic Park. I placed my order and the hostas were delivered exactly when they promised and in good condition. I planted them the day I got them, and in very short order, I had leaves.
Much to my surprise, the hostas that grew were variegated when I had ordered a non-variegated variety. After a few pictures and email exchanges, my money was refunded since they had run out of stock for the season. With luck I'll be able to order again in the spring. In the meantime, the hostas I was given are very healthy and look great, even if they were not what I was expecting. The company was very professional in handling my claim and I am looking forward to doing future business with them next year.
Positive coastwatcher
South Thomaston, ME
August 18, 2015
Used this greenhouse for many years. Always great plants, shipped quickly and never once has a plant not survived the shipping, and all have come up the next spring and subsequent springs. Very happy with their products
Positive pritiplce
Naperville, IL
August 18, 2015
I ordered several hosta and clematis this year. The hostas were beautiful and are growing well. There were some substitutions with both clematis and hosta. I am happy with the substitutions. The clematis were outstanding and beautiful and a fair exchange financially. I am so sorry about the winter trouble they went through and the rebuilding of their greenhouses. But my orders have been outstanding. I hope you are back on your feet next spring and going strong.
Positive asiat111
Granger, IN
August 18, 2015
I have purchased hostas from the Hosta Farm several times over the past few years, and without exception they were healthy, lovely little plants. I have been very pleased with my purchases as well as their customer service, and would order from them again.
Negative vitz
August 6, 2015
Posted on July 14, 2015, updated August 6, 2015
Posted on July 12, 2015, updated July 14, 2015
Posted on July 7, 2015, updated July 12, 2015
ordered hostas june 6th. shipout should\\\\\\\'ve been the week of the 12/15th, per their email. on the 18th, i contacted them and an excuse of \\\\\\\'winter storms\\\\\\\' causing delay was given. i explained how the delay, the excuse, and some of their reviews was getting me concerned and shipout date (given by them) was 7/6. (\\\\\\\'at the latest\\\\\\\' -their words).

sent them an email on the 5th that if they didn\\\\\\\'t have the ordered shipped out in full, and with exactly what i ordered, to cancel and refund the cc (no check in the mail or other bs). they cancelled the order (which means that all claims by them were bogus) and did not refund the cc. contacted the bank to start a chargeback, contacted the bbb for complaint. considering contacting the fbi and/or to start a class action lawsuit against them. all they do is swindle you and say how they\\\\\\\'re so great because they sold some garbage to martha stewart (pathetic, as she was also investigated for fraud, iirc, heh). joined this site specifically to warn anyone who finds this via a google search to avoid the hosta farm and any \\\\\\\'gorge-top\\\\\\\' garden site like the plague. DO NOT DO business w/ these folks. at the least, you won\\\\\\\'t get your order on time. anyone who wants to join me in a possible group action lawsuit against these swindlers is more than welcome to contact me via this forum. -vitz
On July 12th, 2015, vitz added the following:

\\\"We had greenhouses collapse during snow storms in March/April, which damaged plants and we basically had to start the growing process over at this late date. This put the shipping behind from the start which we have almost caught up with at this time.\\\"

and yet, when i placed my order in *JUNE*, no mention was made of this. not, in fact, **until i asked what\\\'s going on AFTER **non shipout by date promised**. NOR is any mention made on the website, or in an email when order is confirmed. NOR did they have the stock by THEIR SECOND COMMITMENT DATE.

ipso facto, they never had what i ordered, and charged me anyway,

this is fraudulent behavior, at the least, and repetitive fraudulent behavior, (with others), to boot. you\\\'ll be investigated. i promise.
On July 14th, 2015, vitz added the following:

and, for the record, posting *anyone\'s* private information in any reply to any review is very bad form, terrible manners, and shows everyone just how much you respect the privacy of those you interact with. i\'ve asked the owner\'s of this site to delete the personal info you\'ve posted in violation of general basic privacy standards. and calling people names like \'nutjob\' because they gave you a negative review is thoroughly unnacceptable behavior for anyone in commerce. it\'s also extremely childish.
On August 6th, 2015, vitz added the following:

i've been asked to amend my review under possible threat of litigation by 'the hosta farm'. they seem to think that once they credit back my card, the untimely credit (i had ALREADY reported it to the bank and recieved a temporary ''chargeback' credit to my card) becomes non-existent in the past. they also seem to think that their 'excuse bait 'n switch', (claiming that the reason my order didn't ship out when supposed to was from lack of stock due to late winter/early spring storms-with NO indication of such conditions w/ stock existing on the entire site or during the entire order process,in JUNE, and then not having all the stock again when i graciously allowed an extension past that shipment date, thereby cancelling the order as demanded by me if they still couldn't ship out on the SECOND date) didn't occur in the past either. if i could do a 'super double probation level' negatve review, it would be far too much praise for this company. they behaved FRAUDULENTLY, with MY MONEY. period. end of story. that is a grievance i will have redressed. there is NO detail, other than (not) acknowledging when they did credit back my card, that is incorrect, here.( let their lawyers fire away, unless i get in the first salvo). just a reminder that a negative business review based on establish-able facts, (like a bank statement) and saved emails is NOT slander, by ANY stretch of the imagination :)
Company representative comment on July 14, 2015:
We had greenhouses collapse during snow storms in March/April, which damaged plants and we basically had to start the growing process over at this late date. This put the shipping behind from the start which we have almost caught up with at this time. This customer's order was cancelled and refunded, due to him basically being a nut and sending emails using foul language of which I have saved and should file charges against this gentleman(NOT). As with any company dealing with the public, you sometimes have to deal with customers who are mentally unstable, so we just cancel and refund their orders and move on. As stated before we fill thousand of orders each year and have our loyal customers and do not need his business. I will also post a copy of the cancelled order which shows his refund, so he can contact anyone he wishes.

Store Manager > Retrieve Orders > Order 27103

Order ID yhst-93407786163746-27103
Marked Cancelled (not counted in stats)
Mark Reason Customer changed mind
Date Sat Jun 6 19:25:24 PDT 2015
Ship to [personal information redacted]
US United States

ship-weeks Week 12 = Week of June 15
Bill to Same
E-Mail [personal information redacted] (emailed)
Via UPS Ground
Tracking Information
Tracking #

Approval: 182053 Auth Code: A for up to 138.45
AVS: YYY (Addr OK Zip5 OK)
CVV: M (Code Match)
Charged 138.45
Credited 138.45
Rev-Share URL: N/A
Yahoo Network Order: No
Order XID # x5494253562
Entry point
IP Address [personal information redacted]
Comments my only request is making sure there's proper labeling of each cultivar. you can ship 'no signature required'/ l'eave at door'. TIA
optionsMark Order

Total 138.45

Merchant Notes
Process through Intuit
[Submit batch] [Review batches]
UPS, the UPS Shield trademark, the UPS Ready mark and the Color Brown are trademarks of United Parcel Service of America, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2015 Yahoo Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy - Copyright Policy - Terms of Service - Help - Contact Us

Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm
Positive brdonnelly
Coventry, RI
July 29, 2015
I bought 5 "Remember Me" hostas. They came in looking very healthy and are a great addition to my newly refinished garden. Thanx Hosta Farm.
Positive Bullet12345
Schaumburg, IL
July 20, 2015
After reading several reviews about late shipments I was somewhat concerned about getting my plants early enough to plant this season since it was already half way through the summer. I read the Hosta Farm explanation about them having heavy snowfalls that damaged some of their greenhouses and delaying shipments. I live in the Chicago area and we had 81" of snow this past winter and there were some roof cave ins of houses and businesses here also and I have relatives that live in the Western Virginia/Kentucky area, where Hosta Farm is located, so their explanation was VERY plausible and understandable. So I chose to go for it and I placed an order with them. My plants arrived on time and were in EXCELLENT condition. Better than I expected. The roots were moist and the plants had no broken stems or leaves. Their overall condition was as if I had purchased them at a local nursery. Very satisfied and I will be ordering from them in the future.
Positive baufuller
Mount Carroll, IL
July 13, 2015
I am a new customer to TheHostaFarm this spring. I originally ordered 4 hosta earlier in the season. There was a small but acceptable delay in the delivery of that order and I was kept informed of 'weather-related' changes to my original delivery date. When those hosta arrived, they were beyond my expectations, with large, well-formed root systems and several eyes on the the larger variety. These I promptly planted and they are thriving! Shortly thereafter I placed a second order for 4 other varieties. That is when the fun began! My delivery date came and went. When I emailed about when to expect delivery, I was given a new, later date, which to me was understandable with the extensive rainy weather the country and our region had been having. Unfortunately, we were going to be out of town when the rescheduled hosta were due to come, and I contacted and worked with Kevin to defer that delivery until we would be back home. I thought things were all set, but then I unexpectedly got a 'your hosta have been shipped' notice; again contacted Kevin and he aborted that delivery. When we returned from vacation, the next 'new' delivery date passed...I was getting worried that this order was beyond salvage and I had already been billed for the shipment that was cancelled; again contacted Kevin [I think we are getting to be very good friends!] and shortly thereafter the hosta were shipped. They arrived in perfect condition, nice plants with huge, vigorous root systems. I potted these all, fearing a summer planting, and knew I would be able to monitor them better in pots for now. I did send Kevin a note to this effect, and he assured me these hosta most likely will be fine with my now deferred planting plan [September, for my zone], and would/could be replaced come spring if need be. I feel very comfortable dealing with this company. They have been very receptive to my requests. I understand that in business, 'stuff' sometimes happens and it is how that adversity is handled that shows their character. I have seen some negative comments; maybe I am just more patient than some of the other posters. But, I would not hesitate to recommend TheHostaFarm if you are interested in a nice variety of choices at fair prices and very healthy, vigorous plants.
Positive kepford67
Springfield, MO
July 9, 2015
I recently ordered 8 hostas and a heuchurera, it was my first order with the hosta farm . I received them yesterday and I couldn't be happier, I'm a Master Gardner and I've looked all summer for a few of the gorgeous blue hostas they had , I was so impressed at the quality of the plants, the prices and variety are outstanding!!! There was supposed to be a couple of days delay in delivery, but they actually came really fast and earlier then expected. They were fantastic about keeping me posted about the delivery date and time frame , I've never had any company do that . I've read both good and bad reviews and I think it's pretty cool that their company representative responded to every negative review, and it sure seemed to me they were doing their best to make things right and make everyone happy , I've yet to deal with another online company who's ever done anything like that . I will definitely be continuing to order from hosta farm , I look forward to seeing all the new hostas they keep bringing out and I'm so happy I discovered them !! I 110% recommend them .
Negative pbgardens
Anoka, MN
July 1, 2015
Posted on July 1, 2015, updated July 1, 2015

On July 1st, 2015, pbgardens added the following:

Sorry, my computer did not properly save and post the details:

I really wanted to like this place. Cute name, efficient, if Spartan, website. My experience left me greatly wanting, however.

I placed an order around May 11, and received it three and one-half WEEKS later. By far the slowest delivery. Their excuse was bad weather damaged their greenhouse. I checked their local weather history, and it seems likely this is, in fact, true. However, they don’t tell you that up front when you order. You order, are given a delivery week, mine was the following week, and off you go. I find this deceitful, and told them so after the fact. It appears they knew they couldn’t meet this date, as the following week I was told “we’re two weeks behind.” Even that was missed. They may have been “blessed” with many orders (their words), but I don’t feel blessed for having to wait SO long. I also told them I believe they know they would miss orders if they made the delay clear upon ordering, so provide dates they will miss. Compare this to Land of the Giants Hosta Farm, which recently took down their site for about two weeks, so they could catch up. That’s being up front and honest, and I appreciate that.

Anyway, the plants I received were literally a mixed bag. One was potted, some were in what was probably left of an Ellepot (not that this was bad). Several were bare root (as in dormant - dry), although some of these were supposed to be in Ellepots, while others were as advertised. One plant was of decent size, one of the bare root plants has emerged in a nice size, but all the rest are SMALL. You pay for time with plants, and these plants are a couple years behind what I’ve received elsewhere. I contacted them, and they gave an additional credit for some of the bare root plants, which I appreciate. They were easy to work with regarding this. Even after this, however, I see better value elsewhere.

One benefit of the wait was I had a chance to investigate their seemingly perpetual sale. It seemed odd that no matter when I looked at their website this year it was everything half price. I find that business model deceptive, because if the sale is always on, you’re really not getting a deal, because what really is their regular price? Their regular prices are above what Land of the Giants and Savory’s charge, and they are at the top of the price scale, Am I to believe that they sell their small plants at those higher prices? If not, then I’m really not getting a discount, right? Something to think about is Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16, Part 233 (make your own call, I am not a lawyer).

My rating sits on the fence of Neutral and Negative, but I lean negative due to my opinion of their seemingly perpetual sales You may find it fine, and if so, good for you. Their prices (when on sale) are hard to beat, but the delay was unacceptable, the lack of a true delivery date up front also unacceptable, and the plants were just OK. If you are on a tight budget and have time, this may be the place for you.
Company representative comment on July 8, 2015:
On Jul 8, 2015 9:08 AM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

Sorry about the delay in shipping, as we are a small business and had the worst weather year that we have had in 25 years of business. Everything is back on schedule as we have caught up with shipping. Again I apologize for the delay in shipping. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm

Negative dagrifka
Livonia, MI
June 15, 2015
I placed a large order with this company last Feb. to be shipped the middle of May. Two weeks after my order was due, no order. I tried calling and calling. I left messages but got no response. I tried emailing and did finally get a response stating they were a month behind. At the same time I got a phone call, I was voicing my concerns, and the person was saying "UPS was......" and got hung up on. No return call and no response. I I emailed again and got a response that my order was to be shipped out that week. A week later, no plants. I called again and the man said he wasn't sure why my order hadn't come up and said he would get it out. Two to three days later, my order comes, but it is one small box, not my $400 order. Inside was one of the plants I ordered and one random hosta. It included a note stating they had a snowstorm that took out four greenhouses, had tried to get more plants but those that came in were inferior, but he sent what he could AND DID INCLUDE A FULL REFUND. I appreciate that, but now all of my stores are out of Hostas of any varieties that are interesting and I have a hosta garden sitting bare!
Company representative comment on July 8, 2015:
On Jul 8, 2015 9:16 AM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

I apologize for this order not being fulfilled as the damage to the greenhouses and plants were severe. We have now repaired all of the damage and will be back next season with a full line of quality plants. If anyone has or has not ran a small business which depends on the weather cooperating knows this is a challenge at the least. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm

Positive homeharvester
Canfield, OH
June 11, 2015
Huge pat on the back for this company. This was my first order and will not be my last. Order was mainly for hosta varieties; all were very large, most 4-6" tall with at least a 4" root ball. Order was shipped when they promised but I was unable to get to the package until 7 days later; was sure I would have lost most of the order; the only plant to suffer was a Pinky Winky hydrangea (which is now resting in my shaded nursery area and looking much better), everything else was fine, not even slightly wilted. And I love that they reuse plant tags because I do the same thing; I never throw out a tag, I use a permanent marker to write the name of the new plant on the tag. They will definitely be on my list of go-to nurseries.
Positive SailorSkip
Smyrna, GA
May 29, 2015
This review is based on my first order with The Hosta Farm. The entire process was effortless and the product was terrific! My order arrived promptly and and every piece (21 hosta) arrived in top notch condition and are thriving in two new hosta beds

In addition, due to my requesting a modification to my original order prior to shipment, I had occasion to be in touch with their Sales Department (Kevin) and I can only say that he went out of his way to ensure my satisfaction. Thank you Hosta Farm and especially Kevin.
Jamestown, NC (Zone 7a)
April 28, 2015
I have ordered 4 times from The Hosta Farm. All of them have been great experiences . They arrived when they said they would, except for this last delivery was 2 weeks late due to bad weather. They answered my email quickly and correctly. All plants were well packaged and arrived healthy, as described. All have grown and thrived as described. I'd hesitate to order from some one else. "Thank you", The Hosta Farm!
Positive hostahope
Marietta, GA
April 22, 2015
I placed an order for hostas from The Hosta Farm. The plants arrived when promised and I was delighted with their condition! I was expecting a bunch of limp little roots...but I received healthy, vigorous plants, much larger than I expected. I will definitely order from The Hosta Farm in the future.
Neutral cbdolphinfan
Dallas, TX
March 14, 2015
I have placed 37 orders with The Hosta Farm and have never run into a problem that did not get resolved. They left a few items out of an order last year but took care of it in just a couple of days. I am an avid gardener and shop with with many online and catalog nurseries because they always have plants I can't find locally. The Hosta Farm is my favorite source for Hostas and shade plants.(I do wish they had more shade perennials to choose from) Their plants are of nice size and their pricing is great. Customer service can be a little slow but I just figure it's a small company.

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the stated policy of the Watchdog that companies cannot pose as customers in order to affect their ratings. This comment, along with those submitted by "bellknot" and "d_boll" were submitted by the representative for The Hosta Farm. This rating was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the true rating given by customers.
Neutral d_boll
Largo MD
United States
March 4, 2015
They are running a name your own price sale for customers on their mailing list and I must have changed my mind on the varieties I wanted and what I was willing to pay dozen times. I felt like I was driving the lady handling the price offers crazy. But she was quick to update my offer and resubmit my pricing form each time and kindly let me know that I was in no way bothersome. So Kim if you see this tell your boss you deserve a raise just for putting up with me today. I have been a customer for three years and have never had a problem with customer service or plant quality. I will be a customer for as long as they will put up with me.

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the stated policy of the Watchdog that companies cannot pose as customers in order to affect their ratings. This comment, along with those submitted by "bellknot" and "cbdolphinfanl" were submitted by the representative for The Hosta Farm. This rating was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the true rating given by customers.
Neutral bellknot
February 24, 2015
I placed 3 different orders last year and by mistake doubled up on a variety that I had already ordered. I discovered my mistake the day before the order was to ship out and the plants had already been packed and waiting for UPS to pick them up. Kevin at customer service contacted the shipping manager and they sorted through the stacks of boxes to find mine. They took out the ones I ordered by accident and replaced them with ones I requested. Try to get Amazon to do this for you. I was highly pleased with my plants and my experience with The Hosta Farm and have recommended them to my gardening friends.

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the stated policy of the Watchdog that companies cannot pose as customers in order to affect their ratings. This comment, along with those submitted by "cbdolphinfan" and "d_boll" were submitted by the representative for The Hosta Farm. This rating was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the true rating given by customers.
Negative TheQueenBee
Momence, IL
September 28, 2014
On September 17th 2013, I placed an order for 2 of the giant hosta species,"Empress Wu." I was charged $43.95. The plants were in good shape, but there's just one thing wrong with them. They aren't the giant Empress Wu variety! These sorry looking hosta's are a tiny ground hugging variety that you have to squint to see. I waited until this September just to make sure, and they haven't grown another inch!
I'll never order from them again, it was a VERY expensive rip off!
Company representative comment on September 29, 2014:
On Sep 29, 2014 7:23 AM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

I am sorry that you are not pleased with your plants. But with that being said all you needed to be do is to return them for a full refund if you are displeased for any reason. As for the variety, I assure you that they are the Empress Wu as our greenhouse mgr/head grower has been doing this for 25 years. I am not sure why they have not grown, but there must be something hindering their growth in your garden such as the soil may need amending. We fill thousands of orders every year with customers from your average gardener to the professionals that care for the gardens at Martha Stewarts properties in NY, of which you can read about on her blog at and they are more than pleased with the plants they received. Again, I will assure all customers that we stand behind our plants and will still honor our warranty with this customer if she would like to return the plants for a full refund, rather than trying to tarnish our image by coming to sites such as davesgarden and complaining about our plants without contacting us at all about her concerns. We cannot offer a solution when we have not been contacted and given the oppurtunity to resolve the matter to the customers satisfaction. On of the average 5000 orders per year, we have very few complaints about our plants as we ship the same plants to everyone including Martha Stewart who loved them, so I dont understand how her plants and many others plants are wonderful specimens and these few people get the so-called sorry looking plants when they all come from the same stock. I hate to be blunt, but I have came to the conclusion that some people just love to complain and thats the world that we live in. In closing I would like to assure all potential customers that we sell only the best quality/healthy plants at the best prices, and stand behind our plants if for any reason you are not satisfied.

On Sep 29, 2014 7:27 AM, The Hosta Farm added:

Negative stlialex
Campbellsburg, IN
September 14, 2014
Posted on September 14, 2014, updated September 14, 2014
Posted on June 7, 2014, updated September 14, 2014
We recently ordered from The Hosta Farm for the first time. We are very pleased with our plants. They arrived in good condition and are thriving in our garden. I just sent another order today and am looking forward to receiving our hostas. Thanks so much for the great experience we have had with your company. On my first order I could not get one of the hostas to add to my cart. I emailed about this and was told they would check to see if they had any in the greenhouse. When my order arrived, the hosta in question was included free of charge. Thanks so much!
On September 14th, 2014, stlialex changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

After placing several orders with The Hosta Farm, we were pretty pleased, until this last experience. We waited a couple of months to receive two hostas. When a week had passed after the promised delivery date we called to check on our order. No one ever answers the phone. They did call me back and said they were behind and I should have my order in about a week or so. After another week, my order still had not arrived. I emailed and asked again about my order and requested they send me a free hosta for my trouble. I gave them the names of two hostas that I would like to have. They agreed to send me a free hosta. When my order arrived, no free hosta and one of the plants was very very small. The email I received said my order was complete. I emailed back and indicated I did not receive a free hosta as promised. The response was that they were out of one of the hosta I mentioned. No mention of the more expensive one! I received another email and they said they had a plug of the cheaper hosta and would send that. I said no thanks, remove me from your email list I am done with them!
On September 14th, 2014, stlialex added the following:

This is all new information. None of this had been communicated to me by email or phone. If it had been, I
would have understood the delay. One thing I don't understand is that I requested one of two hostas free. I
was told Bridal Falls was out of stock and you would send
a plug of it. I had also requested Rhino Hide. On your
website both hostas show in stock. If you have Rhino Hide, why can't you not send that out to me now? Or if both
are out of stock, I will pick out something else, if you want to satisfy your customers. Also I feel your communication needs to vastly improve with your customers so they don't have to resort to something like this website.
Company representative comment on September 29, 2014:
On Sep 14, 2014 4:24 PM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

I understand that customers want their order to be on time, but to the greenhouse managers defense, alot had happened right at the start of the fall shipping season. It is a family business and one of his family members/hosta farm employee who plays a major role in shipping had a spouse who nearly lost a leg in a mowing accident and almost a life if someone hadn\'t just happened to see the mower overturned below the roadway. So for some orders to be late is understandable with all that they have been through this September. We try our best to meet our customers needs and will go out of our way to try to satisfy their expectations and hate to lose any customers. We will ship the full size plant when it is available if he still wants it in the spring. Free of Charge.

On Sep 29, 2014 7:36 AM, The Hosta Farm added:

Our greenhouse mgr/head grower located some of the plants that this customer requested and shipped it to them free of charge.

Positive mickplu
Ann Arbor, MI
June 24, 2014
I ordered 4 different hostas from The Hosta Farm a few weeks ago. Ordering online was easy and reliable. Shipping was quick and I was notified of when to expect the plants. Less than one week after planting the new hostas, all have sprouted several new leaves. I was impressed with the pricing, quality of plants and service.
Positive Tiptreegirl
Londonderry, NH
June 9, 2014
My order was supposed to arrive last Friday however there was a delay at UPS that prevented getting them to me.
So I spent the weekend in despair that my little plants were sitting in a hot warehouse.
The truck finally arrived late in the day on Monday. Fortunately my son was home and he put them into some moist soil in the garage.
Got them into the ground on Tuesday and gave them a good water. But then it was a busy work week so I did not see daylight at home until early on Friday. Looked out the window at the back bed and saw 8 wonderful green baby hostas who had taken root and were in just a few days flourishing beautifully.
Could not believe how much they had grown!
What a testament to the quality of the plants from the Hosta Farm. Will definitely be back for more.
Positive n23foster
Catonsville, MD
June 7, 2014
I placed my first order to The Hosta Farm 10 days ago for 2 hosta, 1 lung wart, + some foxglove. Emailed the company to add more things to the order on Saturday. The adjusted order was sent out on Monday + arrived Wednesday. I've never had such speedy service. The plants were good size + healthy. Well packaged. I was very impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Positive HortNbio
Omaha, NE
June 7, 2014
The Hosta Farm has won me over as a repeat customer for these reasons: 1). They always have the best selection of Hosta cultivars, old and new; 2). Plants arrive healthy and vigorous. 3). Their prices are VERY reasonable; and 4). Their customer service is outstanding. You may never need to contact them post-purchase, but when a perennial we planted last year didn't come back this spring (they sell shade-loving perennials and beautiful ferns too), I emailed them and Kevin quickly made it right.

I highly recommend these folks, especially if you can't find the cool varieties that you really want at your local nurseries, don't want to spend an arm and a leg for ratty specimens, and are leery about buying live plant material online - like I once was.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]