The scoop on 'The Hosta Farm'

The Hosta Farm

3501 Louisa Road
Coeburn, Virginia 24230 (United States)

Phone: 888-418-3683
Fax: 800-673-1134

This company is affiliated with Gorge Top Gardens (also dba perennial-gardening.com)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative jstrbck
Worcester, MA
June 6, 2016
Posted on May 23, 2016, updated June 6, 2016
Order placed on April 15 and had a ship date of the week of April 25. No product has shipped. Have sent multiple requests via email and voicemail. When you call their number it goes to voicemail. So far no response from the vendor to my emails or voicemails. I will be contacting my credit card company to file a dispute. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!
On June 6th, 2016, jstrbck added the following:

Filed a claim with my bank. Product finally shipped on June 1 and arrived June 4. Sad that you have to resort to filing claims to get a response. Never once apologized for not responding to previous inquiries. I will never order from The Hosta Farm again.
Negative cathycnm
Montrose, CO
June 3, 2016
I ordered four hosta in April. It is now June. No plants. I've emailed multiple times with no response. I order tons of plants online and this company is the first to be a negative experience. I contacted them today for a refund. No reply. I ordered more from a company I know to be reliable while I wait on the refund. I empathize with family farms, but when you take money you provide service! Too bad but I will not be back here to shop again. I'm a full-time adult student and don't have reserves to waste. Would not recommend this company!
Negative wendyg
La Crosse, WI
June 3, 2016
On March 11th I ordered from this company. When viewing the website of salesforplants.com there were many spelling and grammar errors. Some of the prices were cheap I wasn't sure it was a real website. I sent an email to the website stating they may want to check out some of these errors as it does not give the website credibility. I did get a response back that she was busy finding deals and the website went up in fast, she will review shortly. So they do know how to answer their emails.

I did an order anyways, $75.00 worth, some bare root some live plants. The typical spring order. Then some more things went up on the website that I wanted but not enough to pay another shipping charge for. I wrote her an email stating that they should combine shipping. She replied again that you can get around separate shipping by buying a gift certificate for $100.00. Once you use that in your cart, you do not have to finalize it and the items will stay in your cart but be taken out of inventory so you don't lose them. Then complete 1 order. (but they still have your $100.00 and you have no product.).

That raised another eyebrow, so I kept watching and watching for my tracking number and kept watching and watching the website and seeing items get sold out right away. Then seeing messages about how she found deals for SUPER PETUNIAS (An Annual) when she has not even sent my bare root perennials out yet gave me the willies. Now my eyebrows are raised off of my forehead and unfortunately I know I got taken. And so are all of these other people that are still buying the deals.

Most of us gardeners have dabbled in plant sales for ourselves and groups, so I understand things happen, but she was finding more deals to sell while she was going through her family crisis knowing how far behind she was on her orders. There is no forgiveness for that. And I am sorry, but you can hire garden groups, get volunteers that do know something about plants to get your orders out. I am sure if you would offer a garden club free plants they would have come in and helped in a heart beat. What I am trying to say is that if there is truth to the family crisis there was alternate solutions instead of letting your business and website names go to trash. I think I am more upset about that, that you took a very good Idea, an Idea that I would have supported more than you know, (Cheap Plants) and ruined it.

I have still not gotten my plants from the 2nd week in April deliveries date and I have now been forced to file a claim with Paypal.
Negative Tamalaine
Rogue River, OR
May 25, 2016
I think someone must be sick or died at this company. I can't believe they just abandoned all their orders. I ordered a hosta exactly one month ago that I wanted a lot. It was supposed to ship the first week of May and it's now the end of May. I emailed them and got no response. I have emailed them again and I'll see if I get any response, but I'm not very hopeful. I wish I'd read the reviews here before ordering. As with others, I ordered with PayPal, but the plant has already been charged to my account. If I don't get a response tomorrow, I'll cancel my order and have PayPal get my money back. This is either the worst company EVER, or they are simply having real issues with fulfilling orders and responding to inquiries for some reason. I would not advise ordering from them.
Negative wormwould
Galloway, OH (Zone 5b)
May 22, 2016
Posted on May 19, 2016, updated May 22, 2016
I placed an order for perennials on Feb. 2, 2016 and chose a delivery week of April 11. That week came and went, so I attempted to contact them, but they have been unresponsive to email & phone attempts. Unfortunately I\'ve had no other choice but to open a PayPal dispute.
On May 22nd, 2016, wormwould added the following:

May 22, 2016 Update
Today I received a shipment notification email, even after requesting a refund. There has been zero response to any of my messages via phone, email or the PayPal dispute. If there had been any response or acknowledgement of my concerns, this would not have been such a negative experience. If/when the plants arrive I hope they're what I've ordered and are in fair shape so my transaction with this company may be ended.
Negative mopps2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
May 21, 2016
I give up! Placed 2 orders in early April for last week of April delivery. Nothing happened until after calling numerous times and getting the "leave a message" and never getting a return call I FINALLY got a call this Monday the 16th and was told I would receive a call by the end of the day with an update on by orders and ship date. No return call as usual so I contacted PayPal and started a request for stop payment. I also received the long email yesterday about the family sickness that was causing the problem with shipments. Too little too late. Just give me my money and I'll find another vendor.
Negative chamscher
Concord, MA
May 20, 2016
I placed an order with saleforplants.com on 3/11/16. By 4/11/16, I had not received my order. Tried calling (over the next month) at least a dozen times - no one answered, went straight to voicemail. Tried emailing. The first reply on 4/16 merely said, "It looks like your order has shipped or is ready to be shipped." No tracking info, no carrier info & a really incompetent reply. I then decided to cancel and requested a refund. Several emails later (each which contradicted the other), with no satisfaction and no refund, I contacted my credit card company (Citibank) and initiated a dispute. Within a few days, I came home to find a voicemail from someone who didn't give their name or company. The only way I figured out who this call was from was the caller ID. I tried calling but no answer. I have also initiated a complaint with the BBB and the Dept. of Consumer Affairs. This morning I received an email with an epic story of illness in the family which caused their business to suffer beginning Easter. My order was placed weeks BEFORE Easter so I have no sympathy. And knowing how easy it is for a business to refund a credit card makes this all the more infuriating. This company runs under various names so they should be prepared for orders especially when the growing season in the north begins. A horrendous company!
Positive jillygirl
Atlanta, GA
May 19, 2016
I have ordered from them before but not lately. In April, I placed an order for 6 items. I later ran across the DG reviews and got a little nervous, but I paid with Paypal and used a credit card, so knew I was not without protection. After 3 weeks, I received one of the plants, which was actually the one I was most interested in. I was very pleased with the item. It was a nice size, looked healthy, and had put out new leaves. Two weeks later, it is twice the size it was when I got it. That was also the week I received the rest of the plants, and was very pleasantly surprised. The plants were all as advertised, large with very well developed roots, and I am confident they will transplant well and will thrive. I will try Hosta Farm again in small batches to be sure they have the kinks worked out but for now, I couldn't have asked for better products.
Negative bkryan
Hellertown, PA
May 17, 2016
I ordered 4 plants from this company in February and charged to Paypal. They never sent them the last week in April as they said they would, and they have not responded to repeated emails asking for a refund. They also do not answer their phone. I opened a dispute through paypal but they have not responded to that either.
Negative cornmaiden49
Bellefonte, PA
May 16, 2016
I ordered plants on April 2, paid with PayPal, requested delivery the 2nd week of May. Still no plants. The tracking information says that the order has not been filled. I have contacted them by email multiple times with no response. Finally I contacted them via PayPal. I hope I can get my money back. I have done business with them in the past and everything was OK, but since they have started this outlet business, it has been downhill.
Negative lpage6007
Casper, WY
May 5, 2016
I placed an order three weeks ago and still have not received my plants. The phone number for the company goes straight to voicemail and no one has responded to my numerous voicemails. I would never recommend making a purchase from The Hosta Farm. I would have been better off ordering from somewhere else.
Negative pegplants
Lancaster, PA
May 3, 2016
I don't think I have ever written a negative review before. I ordered 3 hostas in October and paid via Paypal for first week in April delivery. I finally got the plants about 3 weeks late (which I thought was bad, but after reading other reviews it seems I am actually comparatively fortunate).

2 of the hostas were correct but one was the wrong plant. The tag and plant are different from what I ordered, and in addition the plant does not match the tag.

I dutifully sent an e-mail as requested on the site but got no answer. I sent a second e-mail with documentation photos. No answer. It's been a week and a half with no response to e-mails so I called and left a message but after reading others' experiences, my hopes are not high. This lack of response is unacceptable.

So now I am stuck with a plant that I'm keeping alive not knowing whether I will need to send it back, and hole in the garden that I don't know whether to hold open or not. I wish I would have seen the reviews before I ordered, I would have taken a pass.

The plants were pretty small, but seem healthy and the two I planted seem to be doing well.

My advice would be to only order from this outfit if you like to gamble and you are feeling very lucky.

Negative NoTimeForWork
Oakland, ME
April 28, 2016
I began ordering plants from the Hosta Farm in 2013. I was pleased with the delivery and quality of the plants in the spring of 2014. After that, it was all downhill!!! I pay for my plants months in advance and choose a delivery date. When it came time to deliver my orders in 2015 nothing arrived. After numerous unanswered phone calls and emails, I was advised there was storm damage which caused delays in the shipping. It was a harsh winter and I was patient. Yet after weeks of no plants, I became annoyed and continued my barrage of emails and phone messages. My order was supposed to arrive early April and finally arrived in June!!!!! I gave them one last chance. I placed orders in November and December 2015 for plants to arrive early April 2016 for a landscaping job. No plants and more excuses. This year the east coast experienced an extremely mild winter so storm damage doesn't fly. It appears this company takes your money but has no one to fill the orders. Sounds like greed has gotten the best of them. They refuse to hire anyone to fill orders because it takes money out of their pocket. I had asked for a refund several times but was informed by Greg that the plants had shipped. In fact, they had not. I guess Greg was hired on to the company in Kevin's place as the new company liar. The plants are somewhat expensive for the size but actually in good health and a good selection of varieties, which is why I gave them a last chance. If they hired some help, sent out the orders on time, filled them correctly, and stopped lying, this company would flourish. Instead they rack up dozens of negative comments for poor business practices and therefore rely on unsuspecting new customers. It would be to their benefit to retain repeat customers.
Neutral TMKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
April 13, 2016
Posted on April 8, 2016, updated April 13, 2016
I order some White Feather Hostas from them last year. They arrived, a bit tiny, but all three came back this year.
The company was called Gorges Garden Center
On Dec 2nd 2015, and I felt they were good to do business with again as I had no problems. I saw an email from the for Fire Hydrangeas on their Hydrangea trials. I ordered and when they didn\'t arrive, I emailed, and they stated March. When they still didn\'t arrive, they said, oops we forgot about Easter, and we dig on the weekend. That should have tipped me off right there. I called and someone called back and said Oops we are really behind, give us a week.
Got the package yesterday, a bag of dirt with some roots and a tag that said White Hostas. Didn\'t even have the right order numbers. I ordered Fire Hydrangeas in 1qt containers. No response to email or phone yet. Phone goes to voicemail. As I am writing this right now I received and ad email from them. To busy to answer emails, but not to busy to have more sales.
They are having another flash sale, they are apparently now listed as:
saleforplants.com and thehostafarm.com with Garden and Lifestyles LLC at the bottom of the email and a Coeburn Va physical address.
If I get resolution on this matter, and a refund, I will post here, but a business that has 50% bad feedbacks, is concerning to me.
On April 13th, 2016, TMKC changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Paypal sent me an email saying that Gorges (now Hosta Farm) had agreed to a refund. I never did receive a response from the seller. I have changed my review to neutral, but I will not order from again.
Negative tecofan
Elmwood Park, IL
March 24, 2016
Posted on March 15, 2016, updated March 24, 2016
Posted on February 29, 2016, updated March 15, 2016
Posted on October 22, 2015, updated February 29, 2016
I purchased what was supposed to have been an Empress Wu from The Hosta Farm several years ago, but it has stayed tiny and never developed into anything resembling what they advertise as an Empress Wu. Hosta Farm\\\\\\\'s employee Kevin has been promising to replace it since March 2015 without ever following through. I am only grateful I never purchased anything other than this one initial plant from this dishonest company.
On February 29th, 2016, tecofan added the following:

BEWARE: On 2/27/16 Hosta Farm advertises Empress Wu price comparisons, showing their bargain basement offer. What they DON\\\'T tell you is that you might not get the real thing, and they will eventually ignore your requests to honor what you paid for. Don\\\'t waste your money at this dishonest dealer.
On March 15th, 2016, tecofan added the following:

New Hosta Farm Flash Sales compares themselves to reputable dealers like Wayside Farms. Do not be fooled! Hosta Farm will do anything to grab your money, then ignore you after they\'ve sent the wrong plants. To Chicagoans, Hosta Farm is the Lincoln Towing of the nursery business: dishonest.
On March 24th, 2016, tecofan added the following:

Beware Hosta Farm's latest ruse with ads for Empress Wu's "Cousin". Don't believe a word Hosta Farm says, because after they've snatched your money and sent you the wrong plant you will never hear from them again.
Positive Blanding
Rochester, MI
October 8, 2015
I ordered seven Hosta from The Hosta Farm after seeing that they where offering them with a 35% discount if shipped in October. They confirmed the order would ship the week of October 5th and the order shipped as promised. Today (10-09), I received the order.

After reading about the size of the plants they ship using the Ellepot, I figured I'd receive smaller plants. I was pleasantly surprised to receive some good size plants and one in a larger plastic pot. They were well packaged and healthy. I'll get them planted this weekend and see how they do in the spring.

This is my first experience using The Hosta Farm and would recommend them to others.
Negative Karmi
Old Town, FL
September 22, 2015
My first experience with them was about 6-months ago, and it was very positive (had purchased 6 bare root plants that have thrived).

Recently got an email showing some specials - I purchased some Hosta 'Northern Exposure' that are great plants; however, with this order, I also added 3 hydrangea plants - advertised as $30 plants at 1/2 price. All three are pathetic, but one is the worse plant I have ever seen - the "Pinky Winky". Puny with stringy-looking branches, and may not survive. They asked for pictures when I mentioned it to them...wish I could post them here. Wish they has sent pictures of the plants before I purchased the 3 hydrangea! They couldn't sell such plants if they provided the real pictures of them...not for $15 anyway.

Maybe all online nurseries provide plants like the hydrangea, but I was basically shocked at seeing such plants, especially after the great experience with their bare root deal 6-months earlier. The Hosta 'Northern Exposure' are also healthy good looking plants that one expects from a nursery, so it's sorta like dealing with two different nurseries here...a Jekyll and Hyde experience.
Positive sweetwaterk
Nineveh, IN
September 20, 2015
I just received my hosta's. They are beautiful. The root system is full and healthy. Cathedral Window is stunning. Thank you so much for good descriptions of each plant. My plants from last year have been doing well as I expect these will also. I checked other places for their prices and yours are still the best. Thank you. You are making my garden beautiful.
Positive darlenew66
Erie, PA
September 16, 2015
Posted on August 20, 2015, updated September 16, 2015
Buyers beware of The Hosta Farm. I ordered 30 hosta plants for the business I work for and they were received and planted last September. Come this past spring on 6 of the hostas came back out of all 30. I contact the Hosta Farm on May 12, 2015 to inform them of the 24 hostas that did not return (they supposedly have a guarantee) My first email was answered by Kevin of the Hosta Farm I was told if the plants have never shown any signs of growth that he guesses they would need to replace them. I emailed back and told Kevin that we really appreciated his assistance. I received another email from Kevin informing stating\"Ok, I will forward to the greenhouse mgr to replace or refund the plants, Thank you.\" We have never heard another word from the Hosta Farm, they are impossible to get through to via phone, they don\'t answer our emails and we have received no refund and no replacement plants. Shame on you, Hosta Farm you didn\'t stand behind your email or your guarantee. I will never order from this company again either personally or for the business I work for.
On September 16th, 2015, darlenew66 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

A full refund has been received from The Hosta Farm, a $25.00 website credit was also received. Thank you very much Kevin.
Company representative comment on August 21, 2015:
On Aug 21, 2015 7:49 PM, The Hosta Farm responded with:

Sorry, this issue must have slipped through the cracks somehow as it was entered into the data base to be taken care of. Contact me sales@thehostafarm.com for a full refund and $25.00 gift certificate. Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm

Positive SwedeRacer1
Lake Zurich, IL
August 22, 2015
I have been purchasing hostas from The Hosta Farm for over 7 years now. In this time I have never been disappointed with what I receive. I have ordered well over 125 plants and all but one has thrived and looks amazing. Note, one plant was the victim of two 80 pound Bouviers, death by big paws trampling it over and over so not a warranty issue. Because of my experiences I am hooked on The Hosta Farm and though I can sometimes buy larger plants at the same or lower prices, I can never find the variety. I have never had a concern about ordering plants, I have always been updated on shipping status and they arrive looking fresh and vibrant. If anyone is looking to feed their passion for Hostas, I always recommend The Hosta Farm. I am part of close knit dog group, both show and competition, I shared photos of my dogs in the woodland gardens this year and most everyone commented on the size, variety and colors of my hostas -ALL from The Hosta Farm. I saw some very limited editions coming soon on your website - I cannot wait and hope I catch a few!!!!! Keep up the great work and thank you for helping make the gardens a real statement.
Positive taxingacct
Lisle, IL
August 19, 2015
I have been ordering from The Hosta Farm for several years now and have had nothing but great experiences. They offer a huge variety of hostas at very reasonable prices. The plants come right on time, are packed wonderfully, and are healthy. I will continue to order from them in the future.
Positive ljjones
Erie, PA
August 19, 2015
After deciding to create a hosta garden on our property last year, I found The Hosta Farm site and was amazed at the amount of varieties they had to offer. Because of our extreme PA Great Lakes winters (which I might add seem to be getting worse), I e-mailed the farm with some questions. My e-mail was responded to within a matter of hours. I mailed my order immediately (May of 2014). I received my order promptly. Every plant was in exceptional condition. So much so that I promptly submitted another order. It, too, arrived promptly and in wonderful condition. Come the Fall of 2014, I was so pleased with my new garden that I expanded it and sent in another order. It promptly arrived and all plants were beautiful. There was one plant missing so I e-mailed the company to inquire. They responded immediately, apologized, and said the plant would be shipped immediately. And it was. To my surprise they had also included a "gift" plant (a heuchera) for their error. Now how many companies consider that option? I must thank them for that particular plant because I am now a lover of the heucheras and heucherellas as they compliment hostas wonderfully. I have already submitted two orders this season and am in the process of compiling my Fall order.

I am extremely satisfied with The Hosta Farm and have actually recommended them to several of my friends. I did not know they had been hit by the severe winter storms that raged in several parts of the country this year. Our area which is used to severe winters also experienced more severe weather including heavy ice and much more severe sub-zero weather. This created considerable damage in our area as well. My sympathies to the destruction you have been dealing with. Your pictures reminded me of local damage in our area as well. It's not always easy to quickly recover from such damages ( and yours was massive). I cannot believe the impatience and lack of understanding of some of your customers.

I will most certainly continue to do my business with The Hosta Farm! Thank you for being there!
Positive lamorbain
Novi, MI
August 19, 2015
My first order with The Hosta Farm was great! My order of Humpback Whale hostas arrived at the time it was promised and the stock looked healthy. My concern was that they looked lime green and their description is that of a "blue-green heart shaped" leaf. I emailed The Hosta Farm and Kevin quickly responded putting my fears to rest that that they will return to their correct color next season once planted in full shade...Something to look forward to next Spring! I am also awaiting my 2nd (larger) order of Hostas and Astilbe.
Positive Bkaylynn122
Cottage Grove, MN
August 19, 2015
I ordered a few Pandoras box hostas last year. I got them in great condition and they began to thrive. A few weeks later, one started dying. I emailed the hosta farm for help. They were quick to respond with helpful suggestions for nursing it back to health. As a novice gardener I really appreciated the quick and helpful response. I have ordered from them again. I will get my order in a week or two. I do recommend this company, because they were quick to offer help when I encountered a problem.
Positive Mamslee
Gurnee, IL
August 19, 2015
I have ordered from the Hosta Farm several times and each time the quality of plants is outstanding. The order I placed that got filled this spring was missing plants, I emailed and while there appeared to be some confusion between the customer service rep and the order filler, it did all get straightened out.

It would have been helpful to know they were trying to operate under difficult circumstances, instead of adopting a business as usual facade. Perhaps an email at the start of the season asking for customer patience and loyalty, and explaining why there might be some bumps but bear with us.

Bottom line, great plants, great prices = an abundantly beautiful garden for me and a loyal customer for them.
Positive gardenerJFM
Lehi, UT
August 18, 2015
As a customer of The Hosta Farm I was so saddened to hear of your terrible losses due to the storm. Living in snow country, I know what destruction a bad storm can cause. My heart goes out to you. I did want you to know my orders were filled timely, accurately, and with great quality plants.

I think you have truely done well with what you were given this year, and want you to know you have a life -long customer here. As long as I am above the dirt, I 'll be ordering plants from The Hosta Farm to plant in my dirt!

Best Regards,

Joyce Misdom
Positive Vlmcilrath
Mooresville, NC
August 18, 2015
Absolutely wonderful company! I ordered a little collection of hostas from them, and they are thriving (despite my inexpert care). Great prices, great shipping, great plants. Highly recommended and looking forward to ordering from them again!
Positive Jan_I
Tallahassee, FL
August 18, 2015
I've placed three different orders with The Hosta Farm and have been very pleased with both their plants and their customer service. First, the Brother Stefan and Royal Wedding hostas I ordered are doing great. The plants arrived in excellent condition--and that doesn't always happen here in the Deep South in the summer. The plants were well-hydrated in Elle pots and some were even ready to bloom. After planting, there wasn't any leaf droop and the ones with spikes even bloomed. All are doing well.
I was also pleased with their customer service. I understand that they had storm damage this past winter and needed to rebuild the nursery. They were very responsive via email when I sent a message to inquire about arrival of the plants. They responded to my email the same evening of the day I sent it, stating that they were about two weeks behind schedule this year and apologizing for the delay. As promised, the plants arrived two weeks later in great condition.
I'm quite pleased with the plants and with The Hosta Farm.

Positive MstrPBK
Saint Paul, MN
August 18, 2015
Over the years I have known about the Hosta Farm. This year I decided to make a purchase of some Hosta 'Snake Eyes' from this company.

The plant ordered arrived as they indicated. It would be wise to warn purchasers that The Hosta Farm sends hosta out as rhizome balls only - with no open leaves. As a Midwesterner I found this slightly disconcerting. I went with the flow knowing that each nursery has their own procedures of doing things. I planted the rhizome ball in good faith and the best I could. Within two weeks I had a first leaf up which confirmed that what they sent was what I had ordered.

A short while later I received a note from them indicating they were having an inventory sale due to the effects of a February (2015) Snowstorm. As my family owns a greenhouse and as I live in MN I fully understood the predicament they were in. I submitted a second order for several Hosta 'Vulcan', and Hosta 'Popcorn'.

As Hosta 'Snake Eyes' settled in it has sent up several spikes which at this time are opening to become its first eyes and leaf cluster. The plant looks very healthy. I expect that the order of Vulcan and Popcorn will produce the same when it arrives later this month (week of August 31 to September 5th).

Cleaning up from storm disasters is not an easy thing to do, When your managing an effected business; the business has to both keep the product sales going while at the same time move forward with property clean-up, and restoration. This process is not a one month event - it takes several months if not a few years. I am a person with several disabilities. If I was abled-bodied person I would have found a way to go down to The Hosta Farm to offer 1 weeks time to help clean up but that's not something I can do. BUT I could support them by buying Hosta. Did any of The Hosta Farm's readers stop to consider what they could do to assist them to get back on their feet?

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
Positive petcoff
Wickliffe, KY (Zone 6b)
August 18, 2015
I have had positive experiences with Hosta Farm. Nice plants, well marked, well packaged.
Positive mhatchett
Highland Springs, VA
August 18, 2015
My wife and I have been buying from the Hosta Farm for years and we've never had a bad experience. The plants arrive in good shape, ready to pop in the ground or pot. They run fantastic sales and offer easily payment through paypal, often with no interest. I feel bad that people aren't nore understanding of their situation. As for us, we are customers for life.
Mike & Irene
Richmond, VA
Positive amaniola
Grayslake, IL
August 18, 2015
I ordered 30 Hapsden Blue hosta plants, choosing early June as the shipping date. They notified me about delays due to the storm damage, so I requested by email if my shipment could be held until the week of July 6th. No one would be home for 2 weeks at the end of June and I feared all the plants would die sitting on our porch. The Hosta Farm's response was great. My plants arrived the precise week I requested - and in excellent shape. All plants are thriving.This extra mile on their part is all the more amazing considering the chaos they must have endured.
Positive jasebree
Cedar Falls, IA
August 18, 2015
I'm a newer customer as I've been given a lot of hostas from my neighbors. I was very excited to find that this store had several of the larger varieties like Jurassic Park. I placed my order and the hostas were delivered exactly when they promised and in good condition. I planted them the day I got them, and in very short order, I had leaves.
Much to my surprise, the hostas that grew were variegated when I had ordered a non-variegated variety. After a few pictures and email exchanges, my money was refunded since they had run out of stock for the season. With luck I'll be able to order again in the spring. In the meantime, the hostas I was given are very healthy and look great, even if they were not what I was expecting. The company was very professional in handling my claim and I am looking forward to doing future business with them next year.
Positive coastwatcher
South Thomaston, ME
August 18, 2015
Used this greenhouse for many years. Always great plants, shipped quickly and never once has a plant not survived the shipping, and all have come up the next spring and subsequent springs. Very happy with their products
Positive pritiplce
Naperville, IL
August 18, 2015
I ordered several hosta and clematis this year. The hostas were beautiful and are growing well. There were some substitutions with both clematis and hosta. I am happy with the substitutions. The clematis were outstanding and beautiful and a fair exchange financially. I am so sorry about the winter trouble they went through and the rebuilding of their greenhouses. But my orders have been outstanding. I hope you are back on your feet next spring and going strong.
Positive asiat111
Granger, IN
August 18, 2015
I have purchased hostas from the Hosta Farm several times over the past few years, and without exception they were healthy, lovely little plants. I have been very pleased with my purchases as well as their customer service, and would order from them again.
Negative vitz
August 6, 2015
Posted on July 14, 2015, updated August 6, 2015
Posted on July 12, 2015, updated July 14, 2015
Posted on July 7, 2015, updated July 12, 2015
ordered hostas june 6th. shipout should\\\\\\\'ve been the week of the 12/15th, per their email. on the 18th, i contacted them and an excuse of \\\\\\\'winter storms\\\\\\\' causing delay was given. i explained how the delay, the excuse, and some of their reviews was getting me concerned and agitated.new shipout date (given by them) was 7/6. (\\\\\\\'at the latest\\\\\\\' -their words).

sent them an email on the 5th that if they didn\\\\\\\'t have the ordered shipped out in full, and with exactly what i ordered, to cancel and refund the cc (no check in the mail or other bs). they cancelled the order (which means that all claims by them were bogus) and did not refund the cc. contacted the bank to start a chargeback, contacted the bbb for complaint. considering contacting the fbi and/or to start a class action lawsuit against them. all they do is swindle you and say how they\\\\\\\'re so great because they sold some garbage to martha stewart (pathetic, as she was also investigated for fraud, iirc, heh). joined this site specifically to warn anyone who finds this via a google search to avoid the hosta farm and any \\\\\\\'gorge-top\\\\\\\' garden site like the plague. DO NOT DO business w/ these folks. at the least, you won\\\\\\\'t get your order on time. anyone who wants to join me in a possible group action lawsuit against these swindlers is more than welcome to contact me via this forum. -vitz
On July 12th, 2015, vitz added the following:

\\\"We had greenhouses collapse during snow storms in March/April, which damaged plants and we basically had to start the growing process over at this late date. This put the shipping behind from the start which we have almost caught up with at this time.\\\"

and yet, when i placed my order in *JUNE*, no mention was made of this. not, in fact, **until i asked what\\\'s going on AFTER **non shipout by date promised**. NOR is any mention made on the website, or in an email when order is confirmed. NOR did they have the stock by THEIR SECOND COMMITMENT DATE.

ipso facto, they never had what i ordered, and charged me anyway,

this is fraudulent behavior, at the least, and repetitive fraudulent behavior, (with others), to boot. you\\\'ll be investigated. i promise.
On July 14th, 2015, vitz added the following:

and, for the record, posting *anyone\'s* private information in any reply to any review is very bad form, terrible manners, and shows everyone just how much you respect the privacy of those you interact with. i\'ve asked the owner\'s of this site to delete the personal info you\'ve posted in violation of general basic privacy standards. and calling people names like \'nutjob\' because they gave you a negative review is thoroughly unnacceptable behavior for anyone in commerce. it\'s also extremely childish.
On August 6th, 2015, vitz added the following:

i've been asked to amend my review under possible threat of litigation by 'the hosta farm'. they seem to think that once they credit back my card, the untimely credit (i had ALREADY reported it to the bank and recieved a temporary ''chargeback' credit to my card) becomes non-existent in the past. they also seem to think that their 'excuse bait 'n switch', (claiming that the reason my order didn't ship out when supposed to was from lack of stock due to late winter/early spring storms-with NO indication of such conditions w/ stock existing on the entire site or during the entire order process,in JUNE, and then not having all the stock again when i graciously allowed an extension past that shipment date, thereby cancelling the order as demanded by me if they still couldn't ship out on the SECOND date) didn't occur in the past either. if i could do a 'super double probation level' negatve review, it would be far too much praise for this company. they behaved FRAUDULENTLY, with MY MONEY. period. end of story. that is a grievance i will have redressed. there is NO detail, other than (not) acknowledging when they did credit back my card, that is incorrect, here.( let their lawyers fire away, unless i get in the first salvo). just a reminder that a negative business review based on establish-able facts, (like a bank statement) and saved emails is NOT slander, by ANY stretch of the imagination :)
Company representative comment on July 14, 2015:
We had greenhouses collapse during snow storms in March/April, which damaged plants and we basically had to start the growing process over at this late date. This put the shipping behind from the start which we have almost caught up with at this time. This customer's order was cancelled and refunded, due to him basically being a nut and sending emails using foul language of which I have saved and should file charges against this gentleman(NOT). As with any company dealing with the public, you sometimes have to deal with customers who are mentally unstable, so we just cancel and refund their orders and move on. As stated before we fill thousand of orders each year and have our loyal customers and do not need his business. I will also post a copy of the cancelled order which shows his refund, so he can contact anyone he wishes.

Store Manager > Retrieve Orders > Order 27103

Order ID yhst-93407786163746-27103
Marked Cancelled (not counted in stats)
Mark Reason Customer changed mind
Date Sat Jun 6 19:25:24 PDT 2015
Ship to [personal information redacted]
US United States

map
ship-weeks Week 12 = Week of June 15
Bill to Same
E-Mail [personal information redacted] (emailed)
Via UPS Ground
Tracking Information
Tracking #

Payment
Visa EXPIRED
Approval: 182053 Auth Code: A for up to 138.45
AVS: YYY (Addr OK Zip5 OK)
CVV: M (Code Match)
Yahoo Network Order: No
Order XID # x5494253562
Entry point http://www.thehostafarm.com/html/blue-cadet.html
IP Address [personal information redacted]
Comments my only request is making sure there's proper labeling of each cultivar. you can ship 'no signature required'/ l'eave at door'. TIA
optionsMark Order

Merchant Notes
Process through Intuit
Amount:
[Submit batch] [Review batches]
UPS, the UPS Shield trademark, the UPS Ready mark and the Color Brown are trademarks of United Parcel Service of America, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2015 Yahoo Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy - Copyright Policy - Terms of Service - Help - Contact Us

Thank you. Kevin TheHostaFarm
Positive brdonnelly
Coventry, RI
July 29, 2015
I bought 5 "Remember Me" hostas. They came in looking very healthy and are a great addition to my newly refinished garden. Thanx Hosta Farm.
Positive Bullet12345
Schaumburg, IL
July 20, 2015
After reading several reviews about late shipments I was somewhat concerned about getting my plants early enough to plant this season since it was already half way through the summer. I read the Hosta Farm explanation about them having heavy snowfalls that damaged some of their greenhouses and delaying shipments. I live in the Chicago area and we had 81" of snow this past winter and there were some roof cave ins of houses and businesses here also and I have relatives that live in the Western Virginia/Kentucky area, where Hosta Farm is located, so their explanation was VERY plausible and understandable. So I chose to go for it and I placed an order with them. My plants arrived on time and were in EXCELLENT condition. Better than I expected. The roots were moist and the plants had no broken stems or leaves. Their overall condition was as if I had purchased them at a local nursery. Very satisfied and I will be ordering from them in the future.
Positive baufuller
Mount Carroll, IL
July 13, 2015
I am a new customer to TheHostaFarm this spring. I originally ordered 4 hosta earlier in the season. There was a small but acceptable delay in the delivery of that order and I was kept informed of 'weather-related' changes to my original delivery date. When those hosta arrived, they were beyond my expectations, with large, well-formed root systems and several eyes on the the larger variety. These I promptly planted and they are thriving! Shortly thereafter I placed a second order for 4 other varieties. That is when the fun began! My delivery date came and went. When I emailed about when to expect delivery, I was given a new, later date, which to me was understandable with the extensive rainy weather the country and our region had been having. Unfortunately, we were going to be out of town when the rescheduled hosta were due to come, and I contacted and worked with Kevin to defer that delivery until we would be back home. I thought things were all set, but then I unexpectedly got a 'your hosta have been shipped' notice; again contacted Kevin and he aborted that delivery. When we returned from vacation, the next 'new' delivery date passed...I was getting worried that this order was beyond salvage and I had already been billed for the shipment that was cancelled; again contacted Kevin [I think we are getting to be very good friends!] and shortly thereafter the hosta were shipped. They arrived in perfect condition, nice plants with huge, vigorous root systems. I potted these all, fearing a summer planting, and knew I would be able to monitor them better in pots for now. I did send Kevin a note to this effect, and he assured me these hosta most likely will be fine with my now deferred planting plan [September, for my zone], and would/could be replaced come spring if need be. I feel very comfortable dealing with this company. They have been very receptive to my requests. I understand that in business, 'stuff' sometimes happens and it is how that adversity is handled that shows their character. I have seen some negative comments; maybe I am just more patient than some of the other posters. But, I would not hesitate to recommend TheHostaFarm if you are interested in a nice variety of choices at fair prices and very healthy, vigorous plants.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.