The scoop on 'Cactus King'

Cactus King

625 West Canino Road
Houston, Texas 77037 (United States)

Visit Cactus King at:

Comments:

Negative ddale1
Fort Pierce, FL
March 5, 2014
We ordered two 5 gallon size agave plants. The first arrived and was in decent condition. We paid $50.00 for this one. The only issue we had was with the cost of postage. We were charged $25.00 but the actual cost was $12.72, an excessive markup in our opinion. However, when the second plant arrived it was barely a 1 gallon size. In fact it was nothing more than an offshoot, commonly called a “pup”, with damaged leaves and only a very few roots. We paid $75.00 for this. We called the Cactus King company and were told it was because they had been having cold weather. If that had been the case then the first plant would have exhibited the same deficiencies. That pitiful example of a plant should never have been shipped. In addition, we were once more charged $25.00 for postage but the actual cost was only $5.17, an even more excessive markup. The difference in postage costs alone demonstrates the difference in the sizes of the two plants. We have photographs that show both the dramatic difference between the plants as well as the deplorable condition of the second plant.
Positive marley972
Houston, TX
September 11, 2013
I've both ordered plants online and been up to his place and walked around. The place in person is tremendous! Tons of variety to choose from! As for online, I have noticed that the last few months everything has been running a lot smoother. I think he said he has someone running his online experience now. More and more plants seem to keep getting added. I know from experience that ordering plants online can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes, in person is much better...you actually get to touch, smell, see your product in person. I also know people are more likely to post negative messages than positive ones. So here is a positive one for one of the best Cactus Nurseries around!!
Negative Minime8484
Chandler, AZ (Zone 9b)
April 18, 2013
Posted on March 3, 2013, updated April 18, 2013
DO NOT EVER ORDER FROM THIS "BUSINESS"!!
I ordered 7 plants through their online process (paid via PayPal), and I received a box 4 days later.
The box contained only 5 plants (unlabeled and unwrapped...just loose in styrfoam peanuts); they clearly used the PayPal invoice to check off the plants included (the PP invoice has a character limit, so cut off the last 2 plants). Additionally, 3 of the 5 plants were only cuttings. Nowhere on the site do they state they will send cuttings...the site does say, "all plants shipped bare root", which implies of course there ARE roots.
Also, plants are available in various sizes, and I ordered the second smallest on one plant - "1 gallon" (all others I ordered were the smallest size quoted, "4 inches").
However, that one 'larger' plant was almost exactly 4" long (was also one of the cuttings).
I immediately NICELY emailed them back explaining the issues and asked for replacements for the cuttings, and the 2 additional plants; or, a refund of the cuttings and the 2 not received.
I heard nothing from them, so called and left a message on their answering machine. I also called each day for a week - either no one answered or a worker answered that said the owner would be 'back tomorrow.'
After almost 2 weeks, I finally got a hold of the owner - he was unapologetic, rude, crass, and vulgar. He claimed the website clearly stated they could substitute cuttings, but was unable to tell me where such verbiage existed on the site (I would NOT have ordered cuttings of these species).
Finally, after realizing the owner had no intention of doing a thing, I opened up a PayPal dispute through PayPal.
PayPal found in my favor and refunded the money to me immediately.
Stay clear of this so-called business completely!!!

On April 18th, 2013, Minime8484 added the following:

Have since found out that the one cactus species I received with roots from this so-called business wasn't even the correct species! They advertise (and still do) they have Arthrocereus melanurus 'Estevesei' - however, the plant has flowered and it is definitely a dirt-cheap, common Cleistocactus winteri (Hildewinteria aureispina)!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER order from this crook!
Negative drdug
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
March 11, 2012
They were out of some plants and have not refunded or credited me. Emails do no good. Buyer beware.
Negative CactusJordi
El Cajon, CA
October 29, 2011
Posted on February 4, 2011, updated October 29, 2011
Posted on October 26, 2010, updated February 4, 2011
My experience with Cactus King, Houston over the last 5 months:

Why I ordered from them is a long story. Europeans found out CK offers Backebergia militaris and asked me to order and forward the plants to them. When I checked their web site I saw CK is also offering "2 gallon-pot size Micropuntia barkleyana " for $ 22.-. So I ordered in June thinking $ 25.- shipping is much but for a 2 gallon Micropuntia and Priority Mail I can except it and paid by PayPal. After several reminders there finally arrived this parcel:
in this link are the photos:

No Micropuntia in it and dehydrated and hardly -if at all- rooted Backebergia(?) cuttings. I complained and was told after a while that cuttings usually dehydrate during the rooting process and Micropuntia is out and can be mailed end of August. I gave in and said ok. Nothing happened end of August, after reminding and threatening, end of September (when I was in Europe) the allegedly Micropuntia arrived by COD of $ 16.50 (paid by friends). The plant seems to be Grusonia vilis, i.e. kind of a noxious weed.
Because there is no reaction to my complaint I decided to make this public in several sites.

Jordi

On February 4th, 2011, CactusJordi added the following:

They are still offering Micropuntia barkleyana on their hp without having it, that is deliberate and repeated fraud!

Jordi
On October 29th, 2011, CactusJordi added the following:

They still claim to be able to sell you Micropuntia barkleyana, but what they have and would send you is only Grusonia vilis, for which they even show a photo now! Jordi