The scoop on 'Burnt Ridge Nursery'

Burnt Ridge Nursery

432 Burnt Ridge Rd
Onalaska, Washington 98570 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral jkleffner1
Walla Walla, WA
June 14, 2015
I ordered a bunch of stuff from this Nursery in the spring of 2014. I had to call and ask them to ship sooner rather than later, as we are zone 7 here, and I didn't want to get the plants in after it had warmed up too much. They sounded a little stunned at that. Two of the plants were pecans. I noticed when I received them that the roots were almost non-existent. Neither one ever leafed out, though all other plants I ordered did just fine. I contacted them, and they agreed to replace them the following spring for just shipping. So in spring 2015, I again received two pecan trees. One had well established roots and is leafed out and doing well. The second, again, had almost no roots. It did leaf out, barely, but has now dried up and died. I won't be ordering again. If you don't have the product established, don't offer it for sale. It just frustrates everyone involved. Unfortunately, I need a second pecan for pollination, so I will be looking elsewhere.
Positive Old_Farmer
Napier, WV (Zone 5b)
June 11, 2015
Hi, I ordered the Illinois Everbearing Mulberry and for being this late in the season it arrived today in perfect condition. It had broken dormancy in the 9 days it took from west coast to West Virginia and the buds were about a 1/4th inch long looking great. The roots were wrapped in wet news paper that was still wet. I soaked it 3 hours in water with water absorbing crystals and planted it. The buds had opened to about inches by this time. Will post the text of this email as a favorable comment on Daves Garden Watchdog. I owned a small nursery for 20 years and this was the best packaged tree I have ever received. Thanks, John.
Positive breakfast
Hardwick, VT
May 13, 2015
I ordered from them for the first time this year and I was really impressed. I usually order from Fedco and St. Lawrence every year and since St. Lawrence has closed their doors I need to fill the void. I tried several places this year including oikos(worst of all of them) and one green world(still waiting!) and Burnt Ridge has been a great experience overall. Thanks and looking forward to placing another order in the furure! Plants were well packed, well marked and extremely nice looking.
Negative b9cyst
Marengo, IN
May 12, 2015
I purchased 7 chestnut trees from burnt ridge. I received a confirmation pretty quickly after. I waited for around 2 weeks and called and was advised they would ship the following Monday. I got my confirmation on Tuesday so they were a day later then what i was told. Not that big of a deal except I live in Indiana, and it is a 5 day shipment so they were stuck in transit over the weekend.
So i get the package on Monday. I have my holes dug and I'm ready when ups arives. I open the package and i review the trees, and I have 1 tree that was supposed to be a graft, but was a seedling with a dead top. Also have another seedling that is not too healthy looking. I emailed and advised of the issue, and was told to take a picture of the tree. I did and waited a week. I then received another email saying the picture was not clear enough. I am now borrowing a better camera and resending pictures this weekend. So far this has not been a good experience.
The custer service rep advised that once they have the picture then can replace in the spring, but will be charged again for shipping. I find this practice a little silly, since this was clearly a mistake made entirely on their part. Not only is it a dead tree but the wrong dead tree. I will change this rating to a neutral rating if indeed they send me the proper trees to replace the dead ones. Still feel like paying shipping again is a raw deal in this case. I could understand if the tree arrived properly and died at some point, but again wrong tree in the first place. So I have 2 out of the seven that are dead and 1 that has yet to leaf out but appears to be okay. Will update as this plays out.
Negative mylittletrees
Corning, OH
May 1, 2015
Last spring I ordered 2 different types of juglans regia seedlings. Both were supposedly very hardy strains. They arrived in perfect condition. Well they leafed out and grew very well for awhile probably doubling their size. The first one died sometime in summer; it just randomly wilted. The second tree remained, but has failed to leaf out. Apparently it wasn't hardy enough to withstand a southeastern Ohio winter. Not too pleased.
Positive Chills
Saint Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6b)
April 18, 2015
Posted on April 18, 2015, updated April 18, 2015
Posted on December 6, 2005, updated April 18, 2015
I ordered from Burnt Ridge last spring. I was very pleased with the plants as I unpacked the box. Everything was larger than I feared and everything made it through shipping (cross-country) with no serious problems. I was even more pleased at the end of the summer as everything had settled in nicely and was growing well.

I am currently planning out my order for this year, and the only thing which will restrain my order for Burnt Ridge will be the growing lack of planting area I have remaining. I\\\'ve recommeneded Burnt Ridge to many other gardeners and family members I am coaxing into growing edibles. If you are looking for the unusual or you wish to see what the neighbors aren\\\'t growing or you just like edibles gardening, check out their website, you won\\\'t regret it.

On June 14th, 2008, Chills added the following:

______________________________________________
****************June 2008*******************

Another year of ordering from Burnt Ridge and another year of great plants at some of the best prices anywhere. Everything I ordered has leaved out well and is growing great (well everything except for one flowering currant that I didn\\\'t water enough though it will likely still pull through...The drip emitter on that particular plant was clogged and I didn\\\'t notice it til just recently...but this is of no fault for Burnt Ridge)

This year my list was again quite extensive, both ornamentals and edibles.

I order each January (right after my birthday) and I also tend to add to each order 2-3 times before it is shipped. Each time I make a change (via email) I recieve a confirmation email that the changes were made within a couple days and thanks from the owners for my continued purchases.

This marks my 5th or 6th year of ordering from Burnt Ridge Nursery and I fear that lack of room will eventually dissuade further orders. I still pass along my catalogs to other interested gardeners and recommend BRN whenever I can.

~Chills
On April 18th, 2015, Chills added the following:

I have now ordered from Burnt Ridge yearly for nearly a decade. Once again I am quite pleased with both the service I recieve (which generally includes placing an early order and then adding to it once or twice before it is shipped).

My plants were all well packed, moist and clearly alive. On the rare occasions when I have had a problem, Burnt Ridge has been good about replacing the plant, frequently the next year.

I like their selection and while I wish they had variety specific images for each plant I think the website is good as well.

On April 18th, 2015, Chills added the following:

Neutral GreatBasinMom
Irrigon, OR
April 2, 2015
It is too early to tell yet. I ordered four three year old hazelnut bushes (Corylus americana) that were on sale for the price of two year olds. After my order was processed, they did send an e-mail they were out of stock and I would be receiving two year olds instead. The order shipped on time and arrived on time. I live just outside of Hermiston Oregon so Onalska Washington isn't too far for plants to travel. They arrived much smaller than I expected. They are about one foot tall sticks with roots. They feel dry and the bare roots have no trace that they have ever lived in soil or water before. The buds are small,dry and brown. I wasted no time in getting them in the ground and watered daily. They have been in the ground for a week now and I just don't know yet if they will survive or not. I will review again in 30 days and let you know what happens.
Negative grizz29
July 7, 2014
I ordered six blueberry plants last year. The plants were not well packed, there was a mini heat wave and they took much longer to arrive than other growers.
Two were stone cold dead the others very stressed. I volunteered to try to work with the four stressed ones and asked and received replacements on the two.
. I am not a casual buyer , I have close to two hundred bushes in two locations. I've bought from Grovers, DeMeo, Nourse, berries Unl., Indiana Berry, Hartmann and iDeGrandchamps all gave good service(if different quality) and I've never lost a plant.
. In spite of a lot of skill and extra care the four did not make it through the winter. As a courtesy I sent the plants back (about 8 bucks).
I got a note from Mrs Dolan denying warranty. Most surprising, she said I should have ordered from an East Coast grower if I didn't want the plants spending inordinate time in transit.
I spent precious time trying to save those sickly things ...that's what annoys me most.
Positive KJWThack
East Lansdowne, PA
May 31, 2014
I ordered 3 fig trees, one cherry tree and one tea camellia. All came on time and were well packed and in good condition when they arrived. They were of course a little pale because of being in a box for a few days, but after I unpacked them and put them in a spot that gets mostly shade, they greened right up. Today they are ready to be moved into the sun. They are all very healthy, completely out of dormancy, and one of the fig trees even has figs on it - something I didn't expect because I ordered pretty much the smallest tree sizes that they offer.

I am very impressed with the quality of the trees, the price - especially for the size, and the unusual varieties that they offer. I would definitely order from them again - if I had a bigger yard. :)
Neutral nomadcat
Marshall, NC
May 28, 2014
I have used this company for years, but always with the understanding that this company has very hit or miss quality. I used to be very excited by the selection of hickories, oaks and other trees, and over the years have ordered a number of them. very few have ever survived, and the quality of most of them when they arrived was fairly poor. several times when the trees arrived, they were obviously sick and on the way to dying anyway. when i have called, i have never been able to get a refund. The last tree i ordered from them was a jujube that was obviously grafted upside down. The advantages of this company for certain things keeps me ordering, but i have chosen to stick more and more to things like bushes, unusual things i can't get anywhere else, and things like that. so-poor quality generally for trees, very hit or miss, sometimes more miss than hit-but good quality generally for other things. I have mail ordered many plants over the years and expect a certain amount of stress and occasional die off, but this company does have a higher percentage than usual for their mail order plants.
Positive NAndover31
North Andover, MA
May 21, 2014
I placed an order with Burnt Ridge nursery for some big berry blueberry bush varieties (Darrow, Aurora and Toro). Most mail order nurseries carried some but not all the varieties that I wanted. Burnt Ridge had a good berry selection so I ordered from them. They shipped cross country from Oregon to Massachusetts in 7 days. I had concerns about the condition and quality of the plants on delivery.. They arrived alive, good sized plants and in good health. I can recommend Burnt Ridge to others and will definitely consider purchasing from them again.

Negative sccrde
Rochester, NY
May 7, 2014
I ordered 6 mix fruit plant last year and I am living in zone 5 and I have checked before order in their site for zone.

3 of them died this year and I called them they said they don't give any warranty like Home Depot or Laws. So whoever ordering from them, take your own risk as they really don't give any warranty.

The worst part is, I have called them for the issue and the first person does not feel any bad that my 3 plant died which was over $40. He even did not say I am sorry for that the plan died. What kind of customer service is that ? The next person whom I have talked was nice and explain me nice.
Positive stdno2man
Stone Mountain, GA
May 3, 2014
I placed my first order in Jan 14. It was a large order for 20 fruit trees and some nut bushes. I was very happy with the wide variety of fruit trees I couldn't find anywhere else, with the service and the prices so much that I made a second order or additional nut bushes. The fruit trees are not the largest but I'm satisfied considering I could not find them anywhere else. I am very happy with the order and will continue to do business with them.
Positive webchemist
Vista, CA
May 1, 2014
I placed my first order with Burnt Ridge this spring, and so far all of my plants are doing well. Initially one of the salmonberries seemed dead, as the other 2 immediately sprang to life but 2 months later it seems it might finally be emerging from dormancy. I was really happy with the low prices on the several of the items I ordered, and the rest were a good size for the price charged. They turned my order around in under a week, which so far is the fastest shipping I've had from any of the online nurseries I've done business with. My only complaint was the aronias were a little small, they should list them by size and not age - if I had known I might have paid more for a larger bush. I'll definitely be picking up a few more items, although I'll probably have to wait until next winter/spring since its probably a bit too warm to be dealing with bareroot plants.
Positive Kitty_T
Arvada, CO
April 29, 2014
I ordered from Burnt Ridge primarily because they offered some unusual fruit trees at a reasonable price. I'm glad I did. I was very impressed with the trees they sent to me. I have ordered from a number of reputable mail order nurseries, and I've generally been pleased with my experiences, but the quality of the trees sent by Burnt Ridge surpass anything I've gotten elsewhere. The root systems were very developed, with lots of fine roots remaining intact, and the trees themselves were strong and well pruned. Everything was packed well for shipping and the plants arrived hydrated but not moldy and in great condition for planting. I will definitely order from Burnt Ridge again.
Positive gandyman33
Saint Louis, MO
April 22, 2014
This is my first review of the year for 2014 and I am happy to say my experience with Burnt Ridge Nursery has been extremely positive. I ordered a grafted Venus Dogwood tree and a 1 year grafted Pacific Dogwood tree (which was really an afterthought). I ordered the Venus Dogwood tree from another online nursery as well, which I will review independently of this review. The Venus Dogwood was well packaged, healthy root system, about 4.5 ft. tall and had already broken dormancy/starting to leaf out. I have planted the tree and it has made tremendous progress in a short time. I have no worries that this tree is going to thrive and grow into a real beauty! The other dogwood tree is still dormant and I am a little concerned for its fate but it is still too early to contact the nursery for a replacement or a refund. Overall I am pleased with my purchase and highly recommend this online nursery. Thank you Burnt Ridge Nursery!
Neutral jf82
Boise, ID
January 27, 2014
I've had mixed experience with this company. Some of the plants i ordered survived and are doing well while quite a few did not survive the first season. That's quite a bit worse than my average experience of buying plants online. Overall, I will try to stay away from this nursery unless they have something nobody else has. Then I may give them another chance.
Positive bettypalya
Wellington, AL
December 3, 2013
The blueberry bushes were extremely well packed, shipped very quickly, and best of all, they were very much bigger than I expected and of top quality. I will definitely purchase my plants from them.
Positive VonMalcolm
(Zone 5a)
August 22, 2013
Positives:
-Best bang for your buck: In general: comparatively cheaper plants.
-Their bushes/small plants have been generally the best I have bought size wise (but I have gotten a couple of rootless runts along the way).
-18% shipping compares favorably to most places and Burnt Ridge is forgiving with smaller plants.
-Cordial Customer Service.
-Basic, not flashy website: It's not much to look at, but I like that all of the varieties are listed and described on one page: I don't have to click on each plant to get info. The site is updated frequently also.
-Some unusual varieties I haven't seen elsewhere.

Negatives:
-Plant quality is a little hit or miss, especially with the trees: I have gotten a couple of trees that I would call 'Half-Whips': It's going to be a LONG time before I can even hope to get fruit from them: I would guess AT LEAST five years.
-My first shipment arrived beat up from the feet up. Two of the puny trees were snapped in two and the larger trees had multiple branches snapped in half. They all survived: but it makes their path to fruit bearing that much longer.
-Refund/replacement policy is below average: They'll replace some plants, but find excuses not to replace other ones.

Overall:
-If you want to buy a lot of plants and try to save a few bucks I would recommend Burnt Ridge (including trees if you are willing to be patient); if you have but a few plants to buy and you want to make sure you get a quality product with a solid guarantee I would recommend shopping elsewhere.
-I would use Burnt Ridge more for bushes/small plants than for trees: I have gotten a couple of nice trees, but I have gotten more runts.
-Cheap in a good way and Cheap in a bad way.
Positive joebvet
MOUTH OF WILSON, VA (Zone 6b)
June 10, 2013
Was a little hesitant to order from this company due to some of the previous reviews, but placed an order due to the variety of harder to find plants they had. Placed an order for Seaberries, blueberries, hardy kiwi and goji, When I placed initial order in the late fall, they were just getting website updated, and they ended up not having one plant in stock I ordered, but let me know and adjusted order without problem. They were slow to respond when emailed, but very cordial and friendly on the phone when called. I was nervous until plants all arrived, when they said they would, healthy and all were larger than I expected, very healthy and doing well. Shipping costs were reasonable, and all the above arrived in dirt in pots, no bare roots.. I would order from them again.
Positive Zafak
Oakbrook, KY
May 22, 2013
Ive ordered from this company three times and was pleased with each order.

For their prices, the plants are good sized and had very nice root systems. Each plant in each order was labeled and securely packaged. Out of a total of 40-50 plants ordered, only one plant had lost a single leaf during shipping
Positive hemagloben
Estes Park, CO (Zone 4a)
May 19, 2013
This was my first order from Burnt Ridge and I was very pleased. To be honest I wasn't expecting too much from their plants due to the low prices listed. I was expecting very small plants, however this was not the case.

I ordered 1 Goumi berry, 4 Gooseberries, 2 apple rootstock, 1 Lingonberry, and one Goji berry.

I will say the two Amish Red Gooseberries were smaller than the other plants I received, but after you consider that these Gooseberries cost only $8.50 each, that seems fair enough. All the other plants arrived healthy and well packaged.

Over all, the plants from Burnt Ridge were just as good to better than the plants that I ordered from Raintree... and for half the price!

So after initially being skeptical of Burnt Ridge's very affordable pricing, I am now a believer, and I will definitely order from Burnt Ridge in the future.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 18, 2013
Posted on May 19, 2012, updated May 18, 2013
I ordered a great wall asian persimmon tree.
It arrived well packed with the bare roots in a plastic bag with moist newspaper - after a week of ground shipping across the country. The tree has a very well developed thick trunk, was almost 5 ft tall and good root system.
Looking at it I would think it was a Stark bros fruit tree which is high praise from me.
On May 18th, 2013, bryana added the following:

The persimmon tree I ordered survived a winter in upstate NY that had very little snow cover for insulation and long periods of very cold air with icy winds. The tree is growing leaves despite 5 below zero temperatures. The 'Great Wall' is a good choice for zone 5.
Positive lhuffman615
Bethpage, TN
May 10, 2013
I ordered some fruit & nut trees from them in the spring of 2013. This is the second time I have ordered from this company. Both times the plants have arrived healthy, and packed very well. They have a nice variety of hard to find plants and I would definitely order from them again.
Positive nobueno
Boulder, CO
May 6, 2013
Most of my burnt ridge stuff was great. Blue Damson plum was almost an inch on the caliper and put out some blooms within a few days of being in the ground. Van cherry, Montrose Apricot and Mulberry were all good. Montmorency was a little small. The Stanley plum I got had been chewed on by deer and has no branches. Showing no signs of growth yet although the others all are. They're sold out of the Stanley now so I'm really hoping it makes it. Also, they had my grape labeled as a blackberry and blackberry as grape.

Communication was outstanding. Allowed me to change my order and were always prompt and polite when answering questions.

Their packaging was impecable. They shipped my stuff on a friday (no idea why they would do that) and it didn't arrive til the following Wednesday but everything was still very moist and all but one were dormant. I would definitely order from them again in the future. Prices can't be beat and I was very happy with what arrived.
Positive inzombia
Lenoir City, TN
April 20, 2013
Purchased a fairly large order recently and everything was really great except for a broken Illinois everbearing mulberry tree. I took 4 pictures of the damage. Due to it having only an inch of scion left with no active buds on it after cutting off the broken stem I asked for a refund in which I sent the pictures as well. Within 2 days they refunded the tree, apologized, thanked for the pictures and even gave a few tips and hopeful statements that it may still grow. Thanks Burnt ridge. Will definitely use you again.
Positive mcooperbees
Starkville, MS
March 19, 2013
Ordered red free and jonafree apples on M7 rootstock and a Hana fuyu persimmon. Unfortunately red free was out if stock. The company communicated with me well and I was exceptionally impressed with the size of the apple and persimmon. Bother were 3/4" or better caliper and very healthy. I will see how they perform this season as I just planted them last week. Shipping was prompt.
Positive cornclan
New Miami, OH
December 14, 2012
Found these guys on the internet. Ordered 2 years ago and again last winter. Plants always arrive in excellent shape (Dawn Redwoods, weeping mulberry, maple, sourwood, etc.) Potted up some, planted some in the ground immediately... ALL plants did well. I'm convinced, from reading the negative reviews, that some customers are rookie gardeners spewing sour grapes due to their own incompetence. BR's plants will grow if you know what you are doing. cornclan in the Midwest.
Positive 8opetey
Bristol, CT
December 13, 2012
Posted on May 2, 2011, updated December 13, 2012
Posted on April 5, 2011, updated May 2, 2011
I just received 4 apple trees and 6 grape vines today. The apple trees are all decent sized and look like the buds will pop open in a couple weeks. I ordered 3 types of grapes... the himrod and canadice grapes had very good rootstocks. The foch grape vines were quite a bit smaller. Everything was well packed and I expect that everything should do well. I don't have a lot of grape experience yet so it will be interesing to see how well the foch grapes do. I was a bit worried about their size so I potted them inside to jumpstart them before they go outside. For the prices, I'm very happy.
On May 2nd, 2011, 8opetey added the following:

All of the plants I received are growing very well. The grape plants I was worried about have taken off and are very leafy. The apple trees all have leaves and look really nice. I would definately order from them again.
On December 13th, 2012, 8opetey added the following:

I totally forgot to tell about this years order. Four more apple trees and two blueberry bushes. We had such a warm spring and my trees/vines from last year were breaking dormancy so I asked to have my order shipped early, if possible. They responded saying they preferred to wait until at least mid to late April for the sake of shipping. Going across the country you never know if its going to end up on a truck or plane in subzero weather. Plants came perfectly intact. Each of them had a fantastic growing season. I even got blossoms in June on the Wealthy apples I got in April. I would have had apples too but we had a terrible heat wave and fruit (both of them) ended up dropping.
The trees I bought in 2011 are HUGE (for 2yr old plants) and I hope to get some buds anytime soon. My grapes from 2011 had fantastic growth and I hope to get some grapes next year. The surprise was my foch grapes. They didn't grow very high but I got 4 very tasty bunches of grapes. I should have a whole bunch more this year.
Unfortunately, I probably wont be ordering any more as my quarter acre is pretty much filled. If I find more space, you know I'll be on their site again!
Positive RobThomas
Readyville, TN
November 30, 2012
Posted on November 20, 2012, updated November 30, 2012
I have not yet received my plants, so this review is based solely on customer service. Before placing my order, I spoke with BR a couple of times with general questions. The phone was answered quickly each time. I believe I spoke with Karissa who was extremely friendly and answered my questions. For those questions that she couldn't answer, she promised to get the answer.

I placed my order last week. I received a voice message and an email stating that most of my order could be shipped now, and the remainder in March. I've spoken with BR a couple of times and corresponded through email to get the details straightened out. Again, I spoke with Karissa, and, I think, Carolyn. Both have been extremely friendly and helpful.

Customer service and communication have been excellent. I've spoken with several online nurseries, and BR has been one of the best.

Now, I should receive my first order in the next week or so. So, my review of the plants will be forthcoming. I can only hope that the plants are as half as good as the customer service. I'll post an update in the next week or two.
On November 30th, 2012, RobThomas added the following:

Ok, I received my plants on Wednesday. I had my first good look at them yesterday and today. I'll breakdown the 'good', the 'bad', and the 'ugly'.

The Good: The two blueberry plants are nice. Both had been pulled from their pots and shipped in their own dirt. Nice root systems and good height. The Sugarcane jujube was also good. It was comparable in size to a jujube I received from another nursery last year, but the BR plant had better branching. The Satsuma plum was a decent size, no branching. The Shinko and K. Giant Asian pears were both of good size as were two of the three European pears, some with good branching. All had very good root systems.

The Bad: Two apple trees and the Blake's Pride pear were tiny - all three under 3' tall (as measured from top of the roots to tip). With a caliper smaller than a pencil. I don't mind receiving whips, as I have many times in the past, but these were the smallest I'd ever received from any nursery. They were all potted in small, what I believe to be, 3" pots. I assume the root system is good, but I've not planted these yet.

The Ugly: The third apple tree, Enterprise, is even smaller than the other two. It is less than two feet tall with a caliper about the size of a piece of yarn. I was shocked that anyone would even send such a tiny plant. Maybe it was all they had, but it is unacceptable. A tree this small is just too fragile. Two nips from a mouse could easily cleave it into.

Conclusion: I was really excited about ordering from BR. The customer service really has been great, the prices and shipping are very good. However, the quality of the plants, as far as size is concerned, is pretty random. Had the apple trees and the one pear been of the same quality of the other trees, I would be giving a glowing review. I think I would still order from them, but I would first want to know up front the quality of plant I would be getting. I don't think I'd order apples again. Which is unfortunate as I was going to add more to my March order. As it is, I'm not even sure I'll keep the "Williams Pride" apple that is currently on there. I'm still keeping my review as "positive" due to the good service and prices, and the fact that most of the trees were of good quality. I'll contact them about the apple trees. I would at least like a replacement for the tiny Enterprise. We'll see how it goes.
Neutral MulchingMan
Eugene, OR
September 27, 2012
I ordered a half dozen Oregon grapes from this company back in April, as their price on three-year transplants was very good. Their confirmation e-mail stated that the shrubs would ship at some ambiguous date in "May." Lame.

I received the shrubs about 2-3 weeks after placing my order. They were shipped bare-root, wrapped in wet newspaper, in a box that was structurally-sound. The quality of the Oregon grapes was variable: two appeared to be in great shape, three looked OK, and one of them was basically a stick with two leaves. Two of them also had a serious case of "hockey stick roots," and one of these did not do well after planting. The others, however, have exhibited new growth this spring/summer and appear to be doing fine.

Overall, I would do business with Burnt Ridge again under the right circumstances (such as a high-volume order of inexpensive young shrubs). Otherwise, they would probably not be my first choice. Ultimately, you do get what you pay for.
Negative hojn
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
August 21, 2012
for the price, the trees were small and the grafts were not healed yet ,some of my trees grew, but below the graft .at 18 dollers for a mullbery that i hoped to youse for grafting wood .now i have a nother trash mullbery. my plumb trees were tiny for the cost . the trees i got from adams co. nursery were 3 times the size for less money and all the grafts were well healed over. i was going to buy some more trees of burnt ridge, stuff adans co. dosent have, but `when they didnt want to replace the mulbery tree. I told her to forget my order. they do have the best deal on hazel nut bushes though.good price on seedlings , i would forget any grafted stuff though!!!!
Positive shalomkjg
Olympia, WA
July 7, 2012
I live near this nursery and buy from them quite often and recommend them to others as well. The plants I purchase on-site or through the mail have been vibrant "happy" plants. I have had no casualities yet and have probably purchased 20 trees/shrubs from them in the past 2 years. I value their knowledge and recommendations as well regarding plant care, etc. They are quite responsive through email and over the phone. They also offer plants at reasonable prices compared to some of the other nurseries online offering edible and northwest native plants.
Positive treecrazy
Auburn, IN
June 27, 2012
ordered 8 trees total. 4 paw paw, 2 quince , 2 jujubee. all arrived in good shape . all are growing. trees are about 2-3 feet at best but the price on the trees were low. receptionist was pleasant on the phone and filled an order in time to plant even though I was late in ordering. I plan on buying here again.
Negative BeeznBearz
Cottonwood, ID
June 15, 2012
Posted on May 10, 2012, updated June 15, 2012
Posted on May 1, 2012, updated May 10, 2012
I ordered three vines at the beginning of the month, one of which was to be a male for my female kiwis. In my order I explicitly said that they needed to be shipped 'ASAP.' Now I get a vague email stating that the plants will be shipped in 'April or May.' From the other reviews I'd read here I'd hoped to be able to rely on them for timely shipping. The flowers on my kiwis look ready to blossom any day now. So I have to choose; gamble on a plant which could come in anywhere from a week to month, or go to one of the more local nurseries for an expensive plant which will be made pointless (assuming the shipped plant will be good quality) when the order eventually arrives. To say that I am frustrated and disappointed is an understatement.
On May 10th, 2012, BeeznBearz added the following:

I'm still keeping this rating at a negative. The plants arrived today but they're not in the best of condition. The kiwi definitely will not flower this season, which means that I'll have to buy another male locally, if I can find it. The honeyberries only have barely burst buds on them. The number of live buds compared to the size of the plant are too few for comfort. Hopefully they'll improve given some kindness.
On June 15th, 2012, BeeznBearz added the following:

And now I am sincerely upset. The honeyberries recovered, though one has just one live bud to its name, and the kiwi proceeded to completely die within days of its receipt. I have two other kiwis bought locally which have thrived under my care, so I know it's the plant and not my efforts which are to blame. In all correspondence with them I have been very polite, I should add. When I first contacted Burnt Ridge, they told me to wait a few weeks to see if the unhealthy/dead plants would recover. I conceded that the honeyberries lived, though that is a generous statement with the one budded plant. I advised them of the state of the kiwi and asked when a replacement would be shipped. They sent the following email: "We can include a free replacement with any new order next spring."
Nowhere in their website do they indicate that you have to order more plants from them to get a replacement. They simply have a warranty that their plants will leaf out and grow in their 'ordering information'. This is a shoddy business practice at best, bordering on fraud. I will tell them this and offer them a chance to refund the monies instead. If they do not respond professionally, I will report them to the BBB. As merchants, this practice breaches the warranty they include on their website as well as the 'warranty of merchantability' inherent in transactions with professional merchants. The money isn't really the issue. I primarily want this merchant, and others to be forthcoming in their policies.
Positive plantlover211
May 29, 2012
I had an excellent experience with Burnt Ridge Nursery this year. My plants arrived healthy and are doing great. They had explained to me that April through May they are extremely busy and to expect shipping to take longer than it normally would. Also that they had some delays due to delays from one of their providers.

I know this company is a small business staff-wise and I feel they do a great job considering the thousands of orders they get throughout the year along with the hundreds of emails they get weekly.

I've been ordering from them for years and am a very happy customer.

My advice for anyone who wants a better chance at receiving their orders promptly: Place your orders in the late fall or winter before the rush.
Negative topwaterpro
Vashon, WA
May 29, 2012
I placed a order with Burnt Ridge on 04/28/2012 for 18 Oregon Grapes, 4 Pilgrim Cranberries, 4 Kinnikinnick, 4 Raspberries. I received an email on the 29th and 30th that they will have my order ready and would be shipped in May. I then received this email on May 2nd,

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, this year we are unable to supply your
4 Kinnickinnicks in the size that you requested. I substituted the next closest
size (Gallon) for $4 each.If this is not ok, please let us know within a week

Then on the 3rd I received this email,

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, this year we are unable to supply your
4 Kinnikinnicks in the size that you requested. I substituted the next closest
size (Gallon) for $10 each. If this is not ok, please let us know within a week
so that it does not delay the processing of your order. We also have a lovely
website that you can review for alternate choices at http://www.burntridgen....
Please make update/changes to your order through email or phone.

So much for a deal on $4 for the gallon plant. It sounded as if my order was ready and they were waiting on me to O.K. the change before they shipped it.

I responded on the 3rd

Hello,

The substitution of the 1 Gal Kinnikinnicks for the 4" size is fine. Any idea on shipping date?

I didn't receive any response so I sent the email again on May 7th.

They responded on May 9th with this,

We got your email concerning your shipment date. Orders are shipped out on a
first come first serve basis. At this time there are a few orders ahead of
yours. Your trees are being kept fully dormant in our coolers and we'll ship it
out as soon as we can.

Funny, I didn't order any trees? I found this to be a generic message send out to anyone who questions shipping. This is when I began to feel a little uneasy about the purchase.

Sad part about it is that these plants are native and very common to Washington State. You would figure that they would have hundreds of them instock and wouldn't have to keep them in a cooler waiting shipment...

Nine business days or 2 weeks went by with no response no plants

So on the 22nd of May I sent them this email,

Hello,

We have decided we would like to cancel our order. We were hoping to get them 2 weeks ago. We are no longer willing to wait for them. If you would confirm our cancellation of our order we are going to put stop payment on our credit card.

Did They respond?

I resent that email again. adding that its going on 4 weeks of waiting.

Nothing!

So Today May 29th I sent them this email,

Since you haven't responded to our last email 7 days ago, We take it that our order must be cancelled. It's too bad you folks at Burnt Ridge don't have the courtesy to respond to your customers. Your service as gone from A+ when I ordered from your business a few years back to F-. HORRIBLE! It's to bad I used to recommend your company but now I wouldn't recommend you to anyone! VERY SAD!

with that Email I got a response all most instantly

This is a confirmation that your order has been cancelled per your request. We
apologize for you not receiving the email on the 22nd. It accidentally got sent
to the letter print outs I have here by mistake instead of in the form of an
email notification.

If we can help you in the future, please do not hesitate to call.

Sincerely,

Burnt Ridge Staff

Another funny, I didn't receive that letter in the mail that they said they printed out. It sounds like it is still sitting on someone desk.

You may see me as unreasonable about waiting, But I have talked to others and read others posts that have said there service and plant quality has gone down hill. It's to bad because out of 75 plus plants I've ordered from them a few years ago all but the dozen or so I've Culled have thrived.

Maybe you might have better luck if you call them or if your in Washington go to the farmers market and give that a try. I like a paper trail just for this reason that is why I placed the order on line.

Maybe you might be a person that doesn't mind to wait and likes to plant bare root plants in the summer.

What ever the case if you decide to buy from them. I wish you better luck than this experience I had with Burnt Ridge.

Negative lysis
Scottsdale, AZ
April 11, 2012
Received 1/4 inch whip apple with barely any roots, which replaces a 3/4" Dave Wilson bare root from Bay Laurel that was destroyed by gophers. Both the whip and the 3/4" tree were the same price. Forced to use this nursery as the majority of mail order firms are done for the season. I'm not impressed in the slightest about the quality of their trees.
Positive SoutheastIndy
Indianapolis, IN
March 30, 2012
Ordered apple, cherry and peach scion wood. All scion wood was in great shape and well marked. Would buy from again.
Positive mielbee12
Seattle, WA
March 22, 2012
My plants just arrived and they are in great condition. Shipping was very fast! The tea plants are much larger than I was expecting and the wintergreen ground cover has a couple plump berries already. The prices are very reasonable to for the quality that you receive.