The scoop on 'Coes Comfrey '

Coes Comfrey

1328 Partridge Creek Road
Topton, North Carolina 28781 (United States)

Comments:

Negative foodforesters
OK
Canada
October 5, 2014
Have never lodged a complaint about any company before, let alone one from a profession with which I am most sympathetic (Nurseries). Nonetheless, I spent a long time on the phone with the man who runs this business, very friendly conversations if not unnecessarily prolongued. I was assured in many separate conversations that my $80 order of comfrey roots would ship out within the next few months. This kept happening for a year and a half. Never got a refund.

Positive cooleybufo
Bakersfield, CA (Zone 8b)
July 5, 2013
I ordered 10 crown cuttings of comfrey which came fairly quickly. Included were 3 'bonus' root cuttings. All have sprouted and are doing well. Coe's even called me to tell me they had shipped my order and gave me advice on how to get them through the heat wave we were expecting.
Positive Malon101
Cave City, AR
May 21, 2013
Excellent customer service and robust plants! I ordered 50 root crowns and received more than I ordered, and all crowns produced healthy vigorou shoots within a few weeks! Look forward to feeding my chickens and using as a medicinal herbs for years to come :).
Positive comfreygirl
Salem, VA
August 3, 2012
Coe's Comfrey was wonderful to send a generous portion of large, healthy roots for an excellent price.

I was also delighted to receive other bonuses of dried leaf for my immediate use.

It was the middle of winter and I needed some comfrey as medicine.

That it was so generously given made a huge impact towards my recovery; and practice of therapeutic organic gardening.

Growing my own medicine and fertilizer and chicken feed is a fine hobby.

The plants from their root stock have done very well to provide for my entire family with their own plants.

We love to make its excellent compost tea and drink it as well.

These precious plants are the most prized of all our garden's delights.

Coe's Comfrey is an excellent plant seller who gave us prompt service and a high quality product.
Neutral Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
June 11, 2012
This company's promotion of comfrey for internal use ("Certainly, millions of people over thousands of years, have consumed Comfrey in various forms for food and medicine... the leaves are consumed daily by multitudes—fresh, cooked, juiced . . .") omits evidence that the herb contains toxic alkaloids that can severely damage the liver, as well as suspected carcinogens. Cases of both animal and human poisoning have long been known, and both the FDA and many herbalists discourage internal use of comfrey.

Buyer beware!
Positive barbiebeekeeper
Lafayette, CO
June 10, 2012
I was not quite sure what to buy, I just know I wanted some beautiful and useful plants. I received excellent customer service..which is rare these days. All my questions were answered, I was advised where, how to plant the crowns and 1 year old plants. They arrived quickly, packed well and are growing. I know the plants make excellent fodder for animals, and are self composting, but the Bumblebees love the flowers. Coe's Comfrey website is inclusive, very helpful, easy to navigate. I do recommend Coe's for anyone wanting to purchase the beautiful plants. Honest and reliable.
Thank you Coe's!!!
barbiebeekeeper
Positive flourish4life
Beverly Hills, CA
January 30, 2012
what a pleasure! incredibly knowledgeable and outstanding prices. i am surely glad i found coe's comfrey, and they will definitely my exclusive source of all things comfrey!
Positive dkistner
Mineral Bluff, GA (Zone 7a)
April 10, 2011
Coe's only carries the non-invasive Bocking #4 strain of Russian comfrey (Symphytum peregrinum), "best overall for hardiness, yield, allantoin content, and general use." Coe was quick to answer my questions about planting comfrey near a black walnut tree. When I ordered a few 3-year plants to trial, he sent me extra 1-year crowns and root cuttings so I could test them all experimentally. (If the root cuttings live near the walnut, I'll order lots more to fill a bank.) I also received some extra special goodies, too, and Coe hand-wrote custom detailed information for me. The comfrey arrived quickly and appears to be in healthy dormant condition. I will post again should I have any difficulties, but I do not expect to. Talk about going the extra mile...and Coe's prices are quite reasonable, too!