The scoop on 'Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek'

Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek

Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek has 279 products listed in PlantScout.

P. O. Box 22
Crumpler, North Carolina 28617 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive Auryla
Norfolk, VA
October 9, 2014
I received my first order from them today and I was "wowed" over! Awesome plants, packaging, etc. and they even sent me a free plant! I will definitely be ordering from them again.
Positive Beckah
Memphis, TN
September 21, 2014
This ordering process began in April of this year. The order was for 19 scented violets:
4 Duchesse de Parme`
8 Clive Groves
3 Alba Plena
4 Reine de Neige.
Dottie (nursery owner) let me know right away that she was very low on some of the varieties and offered me other options due to that. I opted to wait until my choices were all available even if it meant a few months. I wanted my plants to be as large and healthy as possible. Well, they all arrived yesterday (Sept. 20th) and they are all just Beautiful; large, healthy, and green as can be. They came carefully packed and, even though neither box was marked with any directional indicators, there had been no shifting at all.

Due to the propagation issue, Dottie touched base with me often over the course of the summer with status updates as too what she had available at that point and what she could and could not deliver had I wanted the plants at that time. She was very communicative. Though I opted to wait until fall, I never felt forgotten or that my business wasn't important. And the crowning example of her caring, she noticed that my shipping cost was too high and refunded about a third of it.

My garden is about full now but, as we all know, they are always a work in progress. :) If I see anything else that I think I may want or need 'Gardens in the Wood' will be the first place I will go to look for it. Wonderful plants and absolutely outstanding customer service.
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
June 21, 2014
Yes - the packing was as good as the previous comment described it: a stick to prevent movement and everything recyclable. What I want to emphasize is the plant quality. I ordered 2-5 of 5 different plants. Every single one had excellent roots and leaves. Some Campanulas even had flowers. They all arrived in perfect shape. Communication with Dottie was a pleasure. I will definitely order again from this company.
Positive wyldeflwr
Laurel, MD (Zone 7a)
May 23, 2014
I wish every company handled orders the way Dottie does. I was delighted when I opened my package yesterday. The plants were larger than expected. The pots were in clear bags and had sticks inside the pots to hold the newspaper that was wrapped around them upright. The space between the pots was filled with shredded newspaper so there was no movement while being shipped. The plants were really healthy and growing well. I have spoken with her on the phone and she is so friendly and helpful. A real delight knowing the seller is also a gardener!
Shirley in Maryland
Neutral Romegrown
Rome, GA (Zone 7b)
June 1, 2012
I would perhaps like to order something from this company but the website is not user friendly. Tiny cursive typeface is the WRONG CHOICE if you want people to be able to read it.
Company representative comment on July 19, 2012:
On Jun 1, 2012 2:33 PM, Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek, NC responded with:

I was confused by your comment, so I went to the website to take a look just in case something was amiss. The only font that is in cursive on the entire website is at the top of the page, on each side of the picture - probably around 15 words. Everything else - all plant descriptions, ordering information, and blog - are in a regular, normal-sized font. While I cannot change cursive that doesn't exist, I will take a look at the font size, even though you are the only person to comment on it being too small. I appreciate your looking at the website and also your constructive criticism.

On Jul 19, 2012 7:00 AM, Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek added:

I just received a similar comment yesterday in an email and wanted to update you on this issue. The customer called the font "calligraphy" and said she had trouble reading it. I didn't know what the customer was talking about, so she sent me a screen shot from her computer and - you're both right - it is cursive and/or calligraphy. I can't imagine what is going on because it is NOT that way on my computer or other computers that I have looked at, and it is not the view that the web host sees either. It is certainly not a font I would choose in a million years. The tech person with the web host told me that some browsers did not support the font that I used and it switches to the calligraphy font. I will work with them to see what font I could use that will be universally accepted. I do appreciate your bringing this to my attention and hope you will try the site again later.

On Jul 19, 2012 8:06 AM, Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek added:

I want you to know that I talked to my web host today. The tech person looked at my site from different browsers and saw no calligraphy there at all. He said the problem is not on my end but on the end of the person viewing it: it seems that person's browser may be out of date or not compatible with the font. Since the problem is not from my end, there is nothing I can do.

Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
May 9, 2012
Very nice plants, Large one gallon pots. Great packing method and fast shipping. Hope to do more business with this company, and would recommend them to a friend.
Positive bsette
Summit, NJ
May 2, 2012
I recently received plants from Garden in the Woods.
There were two orders. Both came very well packed and in great condition. Information about shipping was clear and specific so that I was able to prepare for the plants arrival.

It was a pleasure dealing with this company!
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 16, 2012
I had a wonderful first time ordering experience with this company. Prices were reasonable, plants were healthy and well packed and communication was excellent throughout the ordering process. When I unpacked my plants, I even found that the owner had written me a note by hand on the invoice explaining that the seedlings coming up in some of the pots were desirable perennials in themselves that I would be able to prick out and grow on. I would definitely order from them again!
Positive roberta1977
Orchard Park, NY (Zone 5a)
October 8, 2011
Gardens in the Wood had the native plant cultivars I was looking for with very reasonable pricing and shipping costs. The plants arrived very quickly, and while not large were in nice shape. They appear to be doing well. I received regular emails updating me on the status of the plants and giving me a delivery date so I could be ready for them. When one of the varieties had been cut back and were not as large as they usually provide, they shipped an extra plant and offered to replace them next spring if they do not do well (they were shipped in mid September and we are in zone 5).
I would definitely buy plants from Gardens in the Wood.
Positive jjges
Johns Island, SC (Zone 7a)
May 4, 2011
Received my first order of perennials today. The plants arrived well packaged and were large and healthy. Excellent customer service. Beautiful plant material. Can't wait to order again.