The scoop on 'Longfield Gardens'

Longfield Gardens

1245 Airport Rd
Lakewood, New Jersey 08701 (United States)

Phone: 855-534-2733

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: 0.00

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Positive riosamba
Marlboro, NJ
June 20, 2014
Longfield gardens is a great resource for the tissue cultured cannas. I am always skeptical when I am buying rhizomes but these are growing so well and are so healthy I am now a customer for life. Some of them are actually growing too well and I may have to give some to my friends as 2 pots of Tropicana Black have so many canes coming up they would probably tip over in a few more weeks. Only put one rhizome in a pot up to 20 inches because each rhizome is sending up multiple growth. In 35 years they are in my top three of canna resources in this country. Their customer service is also fabulous. Nice, friendly , honest people. What a great company.
Positive stevepist
Plover, WI
April 24, 2014
The dahlia tubers I received from this company were superior to any I have purchased in the past on line from companies which are rated very highly by Garden Watchdog. I was frankly surprised and delighted at the same time. I will certainly buy my tubers in the future from this company.
Positive TallulahShines
Columbia, KY
April 20, 2014
I ordered several bulbs last year. A few of the items I ordered did not grow. Life at the time was really busy, so I didn't think to see if they could be replaced. While I was planning my orders for this year, I noticed there was a guarantee and contacted the company. They replied the very next day, and within two days I received replacements for the items! Definitely great service, will definitely use this company again. Thanks!
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
April 9, 2014
I've been gardening for just about 40 years now. I've probably dealt with every mail order and online nursery and gardening company that has ever been and have seen just about everything, or so I thought. But, I have never felt so compelled to leave feedback about a company than I have about this company and it's owner, I believe his name is Lars. I placed a relatively small order, 4 peonies. All of them arrived well packaged and quite nice in size. But, one of them did not have any visible eyes and I contacted the company about it. Lars was very apologetic and even called me on the phone to express his concern and apology. He immediately replaced my order well beyond my expectations. God must have spoken to him because the Peonies were for my 86 year old Mom. I have been trying to redo her garden because she's too old to care for it any longer, but she loves to walk outside in the mornings and to be able to look at, smell and especially pick her own flowers. I am disabled since 2009 after I could no longer support my job duties and my current income would not allow me to provide a sufficient number of Peonies for my Mom's bed. Mom has just enough to make it on her own social security but nothing extra for herself. So, I wanted to do something nice for her. If you knew her, you would understand. I just cannot thank Lars enough for his selfless act and extreme generosity. He made it possible for me to finish out the bed and he made one of the kindest, most loving, giving and generous Mom's on this earth very, very happy with his thoughtfulness. Longfield-Gardens is my new favorite company on Dave's Garden now. I'm sure if you have the pleasure of dealing with these people they will soon be your favorite, too! I wish I had found them sooner. Thank you so much Lars! God Bless you! You have a new customer for life and I hope many more! No one deserves the recognition more. This world would be a great place with more people like you. Thank you!
Positive joanlc
Perham, MN (Zone 3b)
March 19, 2014
I ordered a dozen begonia tubers and asked that they be sent no later than the end of February or the first week in March because they take so very long to get growing, and received a promise that this would happen. *Smart* Longfield people must have noticed that temps around here were near zero - far below normal - on the chosen ship date, and delayed shipment for a week. When the tubers arrived (via Fedex two-day), the box came with two large chemical warmer packs inside, which were still quite warm upon arrival. That's what I call careful service! Kudos! Bubble wrap would have added to the insulation value, but as it is, all the tubers appear to be healthy and half of them have visible growth after only one week.
Neutral Lumberjill
Arlington, VA
October 10, 2013
Posted on October 8, 2013, updated October 10, 2013
Longfield was supposed to ship my Leucojum bulbs on September 19th. On October 2nd, I received an email saying "Your order will ship in the next day via FedEx and shortly after, confirmation of your shipment will be emailed to you with the tracking number of the shipment." That was six days ago and I've received neither a tracking number nor the bulbs. I can forgive delays for various reasons, but I can't forgive telling me my order will be shipped the next day and then NOT doing it.
On October 10th, 2013, Lumberjill changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Longfield Gardens "made good" on their mistake by offering a gift certificate, but I asked for an extra bag of Leucojum bulbs. They were out of them, so they added 5 bags of daffodil bulbs. No longer negative!
Company representative comment on October 9, 2013:
On Oct 9, 2013 9:23 AM, Longfield Gardens responded with:

Hi Lumberjill,

This morning, after receiving your email and post we discovered that your order was not shipped as promised. We clearly made a mistake. It should have shipped last week right after we received the Leucojum bulbs that were part of your order. We apologize again and will get these bulbs to you immediately.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact me via e-mail at jpfau@lfgardens.com or contact our customer service team at 855-534-2733.

We will also contact you via e-mail to resolve this issue.

Jennifer Pfau

Positive Leesto
Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a)
March 29, 2013
I ordered 7 different bulbs and tubers during an online special when the company was offering multiples of 3 and 5 at a big discount. I have been ordering from reputable suppliers for many years, so I know quality plants when I see them. Nevertheless, I was surprised when I opened the package and saw the size and freshness of the bulbs and tubers I received from Longfield Gardens. Most of them had fresh buds and I planted them the same day as received. After only 5 days some of them already have strong shoots poking out of the soil.
Positive vr1986
Pendleton, MO
March 24, 2013
Posted on March 22, 2013, updated March 24, 2013
Posted on March 22, 2013, updated March 22, 2013
I ordered 2 upright elephant ear bulbs from Longfield Gardens that were supposed to be 9-11 inches. The bulbs were 3 1/2 inches long with a circumference of 7 1/2 inches. The bulbs are about the size of my amaryllis bulb. Not what I expected at all. Not like the picture. Very dissapointed. Won't order from them again. Maybe they were sized by munchkins!
On March 22nd, 2013, vr1986 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Ok, I may have been to hasty to fire off a negative rating. After I sent LongField an email as to how disappointed I was with my order, I heard back from Jennifer at customer service. She was concerned about my disappointment and will prove to me that they provide quality products they stand behind. If she proves right, I will order from them again.
On March 24th, 2013, vr1986 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I jumped the gun! Longfield Garden's customer service addressed my problem within 24 hrs. Replaced my order within two days. Wow! I commend them on their service. Not too many companies honor their promises. I will be ordering from them again.
Positive passionvine
Florence, AL
January 11, 2013
I placed a large order for various bulbs earlier in the fall and I was pleased with the quality and experience. I had some problems with the online order form but customer service was very helpful. I also want to add a comment about the amaryllis I ordered. I've always purchased these in box stores and this was the first time I've ever ordered one online. This amaryllis has been the quickest to bloom and now has a second stalk that is blooming. It has been a fantastic plant for the holidays!
Positive wildagain
Clarks Grove, MN (Zone 4b)
October 27, 2012
I purchased Longfield daffodil bulbs at Home Depot, and was disappointed in how many were dead in the package. I contacted this company, and within 24 hours had a response with the promise to send replacement bulbs. I received the package within a week, and it contained many more bulbs than I had anticipated. In the future, I would purchase from this company again-- but directly, not through a third party. Thank you.
Positive kidhorn
Redland, MD
October 26, 2012
I ordered 50 allium, 15 hyacinth and 25 iris. The order arrived 2 days later and everything looks great. The price was great too.
Positive typwc
Parkville, MD (Zone 7b)
October 4, 2012
The website was easy to use, even with my smartphone. Prices were really reasonable and there was a good selection. After my order, I had some trouble with communication at first which was my fault: the company's emails kept getting filtered out as spam. Whenever I called the 1(800) number, I always spoke to a person in America (not outsourced like some other big bulb companies). The representative I worked with on the phone and through email (Jessica) was professional, prompt, and patient with me. She always responded to my calls/emails. My package arrived 7 calendar days after order! The packaging was good, and the product looked like it was high quality.I'm looking forward to spring blooms. Thanks Jessica and Longfield Gardens!
Negative ShoreShot
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
March 16, 2012
Ordered bulbs from longfield gardens website. Order process was disaster. Ship date was in the past. Emailed customer service and got no response. Got no order confirmation via email. The only thing I had was the order confirmation which appeared on the screen that when I called the number or emailed received no reply. This was a LOOOOONG time ago. Packages have yet to arrive but I've been charged. I have now called/emailed to request to cancel order but no way to get through. DO NOT ORDER FROM LONGFIELD.
Company representative comment on March 29, 2012:
On Mar 29, 2012 1:32 PM, Longfield Gardens responded with:

I have reached out to you 3 times over the past week an attempt to resolve your complaint. I have not heard back from you. At this point, I wanted to address your complaint with the best available information I could provide you.

Our products reach over 500,000 customers a year. We take great pride in offering products and services to our customers that make gardening with our products an enjoyable and satisfying experience. We work hard at providing high quality products, attractive varieties and responsive customer service.

Our goal is to respond to any consumer complaint within 24 hours Monday – Friday. Our internal tracking indicates that we maintain a 99% performance level. On occasion we miss an email and apologize if this is the case with your experience. Without having more details or a response from you we can not address what occurred with your experience. Our best guess is the following:

1. We were in the midst of a major upgrade to the site. It is possible that your note about the ship date and the failure to receive an order confirmation might have occurred in the 3 hour window of us going live with the upgrades. We think at this point the order never completed the order cycle since you did not receive an email confirmation
2. We do not have a record of any order or email from someone in Highland NJ that we did not respond to.
3. We do not charge anyone’s credit card until the order is actually shipped. Many customers order product month’s in advance. When placing orders months or weeks in advance of a shipment our system validates the credit card is valid but does not charge you until we actually ship product. We are very careful about charging someone’s credit card and will not charge anyone unless an actual shipment is made.

We apologize for the experience you had with ordering from our site. We are glad to resolve any issues if you can reach out and contact us.

You can email me at: dstrabo@lfgardens.com. I am one of the owners and would be glad to address your complaint.

Sincerely,
Dave Strabo
Owner

Negative torontogrthumb
Toronto, ON (Zone 6a)
July 14, 2011
I bought this company's bag of 3 "Upright Alocasia" from costco in toronto with "more information" listed under which is the same website and company as Longfield Gardens in NJ

When you search through the "About Us" information, you can find out who they are and contact them.

One out of the three bulbs was already rotten when I bought it, and it is Costco policy that it is an opened package to contact the producer i.e the website. You cannot see most of the bulbs because they are sewn in a double-layered paper bag with a four inch mesh screen only. The bulb size was correct listing them as 9/11.

More importantly, the two other bulbs that are growing are noticeably different when I would expect them to be the same type of plant. After a month of growth, the third full leaf formed on the bulb, they do not appear to be "upright", but instead regular looking elephant ears.

When I contacted this company through their website, I wanted to know the nomenclature of the product I bought so I could look it up and get more information, I never received a response.

Overall, I am not happy. One was DOA (dead in the package), the other two seem too dissimilar, and none of them appear 'upright'.

Good luck getting an answer from them. You are buying what you can see and tell, without knowing what you are actually getting, and no way to find out what you've got!
Company representative comment on July 20, 2011:
On Jul 20, 2011 9:10 AM, Longfield Gardens responded with:

Hi Torontogrthumb,

We apologize for not responding to your e-mail. Our policy is to respond to customer complaints within 24 hours and if it is a weekend we respond on the first work day. We must have overlooked the web-form that you submitted. This is clearly our mistake.

I would like to solve this problem as quickly as possible. I can be contacted directly at jpfau@lfgardens.com.

Thank you.

Positive judy40a
Averill Park, NY
May 22, 2011
Ordered a multitude of dahlia, begonia, and gladiolus bulbs. Great variety, fair prices, and availability not found at other sites. Delivery time was reasonable. Haven't planted yet, but bulbs all look big and healthy, so very pleased! Emailed company to let them know boxes were slightly damaged (tape on bottom had let go on one end), and received immediate response. Definitely recommend this nursery.