The scoop on 'Longfield Gardens'

Longfield Gardens

Longfield Gardens has 570 products listed in PlantScout.

1245 Airport Rd
Lakewood, New Jersey 08701 (United States)

Phone: 855-534-2733

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: 0.00

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Positive architectmom
San Francisco, CA
July 27, 2017
Dahlias - very healthy, robust plants with lots of blooms.
Tubers arrived, well packed but they were the most dried out looking of the 3 companies I ordered from. I had low expectations for sprouting but ... they turned into healthy, vigorous plants with lots of blooms. So I'm happy! Surprisingly, the tubers from Longfields actually out performed the single, giant tubers sent by Swan Island.
Positive Contutti
York, ME
July 24, 2017
I contacted Michelle at customer service today to forward photos of a white rimmed gladiolus that had bloomed and was supposed to be crocosmia. Somehow the package had been mislabeled. Shortly later, I received a friendly apology and a promise to send a replacement in the spring. It is such a pleasure when customer service is done in a cheerful manner without an extraordinary effort on the part of the customer.
Positive Tamsins29
Burton, OH
July 20, 2017
Purchased multi pack of clematis via Costco this Spring, all grew beautifully except one variety. Contacted Costco for replacements and was told that Longfield did not have that particular variety left and could they send a similar one. I was fine with that, so they did - they also sent about 20 mixed phlox plants too! Very impressed with the customer service and the quality of the plants sent. Will definitely buy from them again.
Positive NYBokey
East Meadow, NY
June 21, 2017
I have been doing business with Longfield Gardens as a result of the recommendations here on Dave's Garden. I am so happy I found them. The photos on their site are very accurate to the plants, the bulbs are top quality and larger than those I've ordered from so-called "Dutch" companies, and highly reliable to bloom. But for me, the one thing that sets LG apart is the service. The shipping is lightning fast - granted, I am in NY, and they are in NJ - but I have found that they don't waste a minute processing your order and getting it shipped. Out of a number of successful orders...incredible tulips, hyacinths, allium, clematis...I had one issue with a fair quantity of hardy pink geranium that didn't live through the first season, even though they were planted with other hardy geranium that have performed perfectly year over year. However, I waited to see if they would come back this year, but they did not. I had saved my online receipt, but it had been slightly over a year when I contacted them to ask about what options I might have. The customer service could not have been better. Stellar, in fact. I explained what happened and they promptly issued me a full refund. Unquestionably one of the best bulb companies out there, and in my 40 years of gardening, that's saying something.
Positive ktinct
AMSTON, CT
June 15, 2017
I have been purchasing plants from LFG for many years. I've ordered from dozens and dozens (that is a low end estimate) of online garden retailers and each year LFG remains my constant. Not only is their customer service exceptional but their products rarely fail me. And if it does, they are quick to remedy the situation.

I thought this was going to be a bad dahlia year, I lost a bunch of tubers over winter due to a flooded basement and when I reordered from LFG the tubers were a bit smaller than previous years, less eyes, overall they just didn't look good. I had nothing to lose so I potted them to start and wouldn't you know every single tuber is growing. And this was on probably 20-30 tubers, which are pretty good odds! This was a few months ago at this point, and the LFG plants are currently almost twice the size of the dahlias I purchased from other shops. They don't cut their tubers up, so I'm sure that helps.

Another note worth mentioning is about their customer service. Last year I was talking to a CS rep about another order I had placed and she mentioned the mixed bag of peonies that just went on sale. They were rock bottom prices so I had her add it to my order. I think I got around 10-15 total. This spring came around and I had a bunch of surprise blooms. I was able to identify most of them but was uncertain of one variety. I emailed LFG, and within a day, a rep reached out, and she positively identified the plant for me. For a company that size, I was really pleased with the level of service and the response time.

Those are my two most recent LFG experiences but every year I have the same positive reaction. I recommend LFG to all my family and friends. I just wish they'd offer the same great coupon codes to returning/loyal customers that they do to first time buyers! ;)
Positive no_regrets
San Diego, CA
March 17, 2017
Posted on October 22, 2016, updated March 17, 2017
I am a big customer of bulbs, unable to resist them whether walking past them at nurseries or placing online orders from my usual trusted sources. I only found Longfield because they are apparently the partner that Costco sells bulbs from, and I trust Costco more than just about any other retailer I know. So even though I had already ordered my bulbs for this season, I was unable to resist Longfield\'s exceptional pricing, wide variety, nonexistent shipping over $50 (that could easily be $10 to $15 elsewhere)! and figured I had the Costco return policy in my back pocket.

Imagine my surprise when my order shipped the day after I placed my order, and arrived only 2 days after that. And this was for no shipping fee! And the bulbs... Oh my goodness, it is hard to find bulbs like these. Huge, healthy, not a single dud! I feel that the low pricing at Longfield is misleading when it comes to the exceptional quality and service they provide. Definitely my go-to source from now on, and that is no small thing for me!
On March 17th, 2017, no_regrets added the following:

I placed another order of Longfield Gardens bulbs, a screaming deal on an assortment of dahlia, calla, lily and gladiola, through the Costco website. It shipped 2 days after when they said it would, but given that I had ordered a full month prior to that, I hardly noticed. It arrived at my doorstep in a very well-packaged box, and all the bulbs were large, extremely healthy, fresh,bursting with life. You know how most bulbs look like something dried up and dead, and we gardeners have to really *hope* that something inside will "wake up"? These bulbs came out of the box looking very much alive. The roots on the dense and heavy lily bulbs were full, white, and hydrated, for example. When's the last time you saw roots like that on a bulb?!? I am still very much a Longfield (and Costco) fan.
Positive nitzi1944
Kings Park, NY (Zone 7a)
December 17, 2016
Posted on November 7, 2015, updated December 17, 2016
Posted on May 25, 2015, updated November 7, 2015
Ordered liatris bulbs. Well priced. They arrived on time last week.The box had air holes. Great. Out of 24 in the bag, only one felt kind of mushy. Am planting today. Will order again.
On November 7th, 2015, nitzi1944 added the following:

I just received some tulip bulbs. They came right away.; within 3 days of my ordering them. Great! Well packed and no duds. This is my first time ordering tulips from this company and I needed some extras to fill in what I ordered from other companies. They even included some freebies. how nice! will order again next year.
On December 17th, 2016, nitzi1944 added the following:

Glad I found this place. Love the website. I love the bouquet tulip blends and the parrot tulip blends. Bulbs come well packaged. I contacted the company b/c there were some hyacinths missing. They sent the missing 'Alois" ones right away.Will order next year again.
Positive collectorpalms
College Station, TX
November 22, 2016
Posted on November 25, 2015, updated November 22, 2016
Posted on November 25, 2015, updated November 25, 2015
Posted on April 2, 2015, updated November 25, 2015
Beautiful website. I had followed their website, and they closed their fall bulbs sales without notice. However, I sent an email and was contacted that I could order. I also was able to talk to a live person.
Nevertheless, I ordered around 100 Tulips, and I chilled them for several weeks before planting, it is now April and they have mostly bloomed.
The Stunning Apricot tulip is Stunning, the Sky High Scarlet Tulip is Sky High and the Purple Dream Tulip looks like its from a dream.
Thank you Longfield!
On November 25th, 2015, collectorpalms added the following:

I Greatly appreciated Longfield Gardens posting a 40 percent off End of Season Closeout sale on their fall bulbs. As a result, I placed a few extra final orders, as to opposed to Brent and Beck\\\'s which did not have a fall sale. My ordered shipped within 1-2 business days of order and were free. Will update in Spring.
On November 25th, 2015, collectorpalms added the following:

I Greatly appreciated Longfield Gardens posting a 40 percent off End of Season Closeout sale on their fall bulbs. As a result, I placed a few extra final orders, as to opposed to Brent and Beck\'s which did not have a fall sale. My ordered shipped within 1-2 business days of order and were free. Will update in Spring.
On November 22nd, 2016, collectorpalms added the following:

Another great experience from Longfield gardens. Same or next day shipping. I think they even sent me several extra bulbs! Looking forward to another show stopping spring thanks to Longfield.
Positive suemar63
MANTON, MI (Zone 4b)
April 24, 2016
This was my first time ordering from Longfield Gardens. I must say--it was a pleasure to do business with them. Though there was an error with one of the items sent, it was corrected immediately. The replacement arrived at my door within 2 days. I am very happy with their prompt service. The prices were reasonable, and the dahlia tubers I ordered were the nicest I've ever bought.
Thanks , Longfield!
Positive charkool
Chandler, AZ
October 16, 2015
I recently placed an order with them for assorted tulip and allium bulbs. The bulbs were shipped right away with excellent packing too. I was so pleased to receive big, top-grade healthy bulbs. This is my first order with them and I will certainly be ordering in the future.
Positive riosamba
Marlboro, NJ
May 7, 2015
Posted on June 20, 2014, updated May 7, 2015
Longfield gardens is a great resource for the tissue cultured cannas. I am always skeptical when I am buying rhizomes but these are growing so well and are so healthy I am now a customer for life. Some of them are actually growing too well and I may have to give some to my friends as 2 pots of Tropicana Black have so many canes coming up they would probably tip over in a few more weeks. Only put one rhizome in a pot up to 20 inches because each rhizome is sending up multiple growth. In 35 years they are in my top three of canna resources in this country. Their customer service is also fabulous. Nice, friendly , honest people. What a great company.
On May 7th, 2015, riosamba added the following:

Just received more Israeli cannas from Longfield Gardens. The rhizomes are all very healthy. All of the cannas that I purchased from them last year performed beautifully I know these new cannas will do the same and none have the virus. What a great place to buy from
Positive Qdangson
Quincy, MA
April 5, 2015
Posted on March 25, 2015, updated April 5, 2015
Ordered 2 weeks ago. Received notice that they shipped yesterday. Received order this morning. It helps that Im in Boston and they are in New Jersey.

Dahlia tubers were decent some better than others, although one of the lady darlene tuber clumps didnt have any viable tubers after the broken ones were cut off, just a crown was left, same with one of the gallery la tour dahlias Ill cross my fingers it will make it.

The odorata tuberous begonia tubers were huge. Im ecstatic about the size.
On April 5th, 2015, Qdangson added the following:

Update: Still waiting for the Darlene dahlias to eye up. They were a good size but they had long skinny necks so a lot of the broke, one of the white odorata tuners went soft, but the other 2 have eyed up nicely. Will contact them to see their response. I recommended them to a friend so will see about his order when it arrives this week.
Positive Marilynbeth
November 5, 2014
I first started ordering Fall bulbs from Longfield Gardens in 2013. I'm very happy with them. They've become my favorite place for ordering Fall bulbs.

I usually don't get bulbs in Spring, but if I decide that I want them, then they'll be my first place to check their offerings.

I just noticed tonight that they offer bare root perennials. I'll have to check next Spring to see what they offer.

Great company to order. From NJ to me in KY, it is fast shipping!

They even have articles, videos and info to help the gardener.

Love, love this company!
Positive stevepist
Plover, WI
April 24, 2014
The dahlia tubers I received from this company were superior to any I have purchased in the past on line from companies which are rated very highly by Garden Watchdog. I was frankly surprised and delighted at the same time. I will certainly buy my tubers in the future from this company.
Positive TallulahShines
Columbia, KY
April 20, 2014
I ordered several bulbs last year. A few of the items I ordered did not grow. Life at the time was really busy, so I didn't think to see if they could be replaced. While I was planning my orders for this year, I noticed there was a guarantee and contacted the company. They replied the very next day, and within two days I received replacements for the items! Definitely great service, will definitely use this company again. Thanks!
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
April 9, 2014
I've been gardening for just about 40 years now. I've probably dealt with every mail order and online nursery and gardening company that has ever been and have seen just about everything, or so I thought. But, I have never felt so compelled to leave feedback about a company than I have about this company and it's owner, I believe his name is Lars. I placed a relatively small order, 4 peonies. All of them arrived well packaged and quite nice in size. But, one of them did not have any visible eyes and I contacted the company about it. Lars was very apologetic and even called me on the phone to express his concern and apology. He immediately replaced my order well beyond my expectations. God must have spoken to him because the Peonies were for my 86 year old Mom. I have been trying to redo her garden because she's too old to care for it any longer, but she loves to walk outside in the mornings and to be able to look at, smell and especially pick her own flowers. I am disabled since 2009 after I could no longer support my job duties and my current income would not allow me to provide a sufficient number of Peonies for my Mom's bed. Mom has just enough to make it on her own social security but nothing extra for herself. So, I wanted to do something nice for her. If you knew her, you would understand. I just cannot thank Lars enough for his selfless act and extreme generosity. He made it possible for me to finish out the bed and he made one of the kindest, most loving, giving and generous Mom's on this earth very, very happy with his thoughtfulness. Longfield-Gardens is my new favorite company on Dave's Garden now. I'm sure if you have the pleasure of dealing with these people they will soon be your favorite, too! I wish I had found them sooner. Thank you so much Lars! God Bless you! You have a new customer for life and I hope many more! No one deserves the recognition more. This world would be a great place with more people like you. Thank you!
Positive joanlc
Perham, MN (Zone 3b)
March 19, 2014
I ordered a dozen begonia tubers and asked that they be sent no later than the end of February or the first week in March because they take so very long to get growing, and received a promise that this would happen. *Smart* Longfield people must have noticed that temps around here were near zero - far below normal - on the chosen ship date, and delayed shipment for a week. When the tubers arrived (via Fedex two-day), the box came with two large chemical warmer packs inside, which were still quite warm upon arrival. That's what I call careful service! Kudos! Bubble wrap would have added to the insulation value, but as it is, all the tubers appear to be healthy and half of them have visible growth after only one week.
Neutral Lumberjill
Arlington, VA
October 10, 2013
Posted on October 8, 2013, updated October 10, 2013
Longfield was supposed to ship my Leucojum bulbs on September 19th. On October 2nd, I received an email saying "Your order will ship in the next day via FedEx and shortly after, confirmation of your shipment will be emailed to you with the tracking number of the shipment." That was six days ago and I've received neither a tracking number nor the bulbs. I can forgive delays for various reasons, but I can't forgive telling me my order will be shipped the next day and then NOT doing it.
On October 10th, 2013, Lumberjill changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Longfield Gardens "made good" on their mistake by offering a gift certificate, but I asked for an extra bag of Leucojum bulbs. They were out of them, so they added 5 bags of daffodil bulbs. No longer negative!
Company representative comment on October 9, 2013:
On Oct 9, 2013 9:23 AM, Longfield Gardens responded with:

Hi Lumberjill,

This morning, after receiving your email and post we discovered that your order was not shipped as promised. We clearly made a mistake. It should have shipped last week right after we received the Leucojum bulbs that were part of your order. We apologize again and will get these bulbs to you immediately.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact me via e-mail at [email protected] or contact our customer service team at 855-534-2733.

We will also contact you via e-mail to resolve this issue.

Jennifer Pfau

Positive Leesto
Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a)
March 29, 2013
I ordered 7 different bulbs and tubers during an online special when the company was offering multiples of 3 and 5 at a big discount. I have been ordering from reputable suppliers for many years, so I know quality plants when I see them. Nevertheless, I was surprised when I opened the package and saw the size and freshness of the bulbs and tubers I received from Longfield Gardens. Most of them had fresh buds and I planted them the same day as received. After only 5 days some of them already have strong shoots poking out of the soil.
Positive vr1986
Pendleton, MO
March 24, 2013
Posted on March 22, 2013, updated March 24, 2013
Posted on March 22, 2013, updated March 22, 2013
I ordered 2 upright elephant ear bulbs from Longfield Gardens that were supposed to be 9-11 inches. The bulbs were 3 1/2 inches long with a circumference of 7 1/2 inches. The bulbs are about the size of my amaryllis bulb. Not what I expected at all. Not like the picture. Very dissapointed. Won't order from them again. Maybe they were sized by munchkins!
On March 22nd, 2013, vr1986 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Ok, I may have been to hasty to fire off a negative rating. After I sent LongField an email as to how disappointed I was with my order, I heard back from Jennifer at customer service. She was concerned about my disappointment and will prove to me that they provide quality products they stand behind. If she proves right, I will order from them again.
On March 24th, 2013, vr1986 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I jumped the gun! Longfield Garden's customer service addressed my problem within 24 hrs. Replaced my order within two days. Wow! I commend them on their service. Not too many companies honor their promises. I will be ordering from them again.
Positive passionvine
Florence, AL
January 11, 2013
I placed a large order for various bulbs earlier in the fall and I was pleased with the quality and experience. I had some problems with the online order form but customer service was very helpful. I also want to add a comment about the amaryllis I ordered. I've always purchased these in box stores and this was the first time I've ever ordered one online. This amaryllis has been the quickest to bloom and now has a second stalk that is blooming. It has been a fantastic plant for the holidays!
Positive wildagain
Clarks Grove, MN (Zone 4b)
October 27, 2012
I purchased Longfield daffodil bulbs at Home Depot, and was disappointed in how many were dead in the package. I contacted this company, and within 24 hours had a response with the promise to send replacement bulbs. I received the package within a week, and it contained many more bulbs than I had anticipated. In the future, I would purchase from this company again-- but directly, not through a third party. Thank you.
Positive kidhorn
Redland, MD
October 26, 2012
I ordered 50 allium, 15 hyacinth and 25 iris. The order arrived 2 days later and everything looks great. The price was great too.
Positive typwc
Parkville, MD (Zone 7b)
October 4, 2012
The website was easy to use, even with my smartphone. Prices were really reasonable and there was a good selection. After my order, I had some trouble with communication at first which was my fault: the company's emails kept getting filtered out as spam. Whenever I called the 1(800) number, I always spoke to a person in America (not outsourced like some other big bulb companies). The representative I worked with on the phone and through email (Jessica) was professional, prompt, and patient with me. She always responded to my calls/emails. My package arrived 7 calendar days after order! The packaging was good, and the product looked like it was high quality.I'm looking forward to spring blooms. Thanks Jessica and Longfield Gardens!
Negative ShoreShot
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
March 16, 2012
Ordered bulbs from longfield gardens website. Order process was disaster. Ship date was in the past. Emailed customer service and got no response. Got no order confirmation via email. The only thing I had was the order confirmation which appeared on the screen that when I called the number or emailed received no reply. This was a LOOOOONG time ago. Packages have yet to arrive but I've been charged. I have now called/emailed to request to cancel order but no way to get through. DO NOT ORDER FROM LONGFIELD.
Company representative comment on March 29, 2012:
On Mar 29, 2012 1:32 PM, Longfield Gardens responded with:

I have reached out to you 3 times over the past week an attempt to resolve your complaint. I have not heard back from you. At this point, I wanted to address your complaint with the best available information I could provide you.

Our products reach over 500,000 customers a year. We take great pride in offering products and services to our customers that make gardening with our products an enjoyable and satisfying experience. We work hard at providing high quality products, attractive varieties and responsive customer service.

Our goal is to respond to any consumer complaint within 24 hours Monday – Friday. Our internal tracking indicates that we maintain a 99% performance level. On occasion we miss an email and apologize if this is the case with your experience. Without having more details or a response from you we can not address what occurred with your experience. Our best guess is the following:

1. We were in the midst of a major upgrade to the site. It is possible that your note about the ship date and the failure to receive an order confirmation might have occurred in the 3 hour window of us going live with the upgrades. We think at this point the order never completed the order cycle since you did not receive an email confirmation
2. We do not have a record of any order or email from someone in Highland NJ that we did not respond to.
3. We do not charge anyone’s credit card until the order is actually shipped. Many customers order product month’s in advance. When placing orders months or weeks in advance of a shipment our system validates the credit card is valid but does not charge you until we actually ship product. We are very careful about charging someone’s credit card and will not charge anyone unless an actual shipment is made.

We apologize for the experience you had with ordering from our site. We are glad to resolve any issues if you can reach out and contact us.

You can email me at: [email protected]. I am one of the owners and would be glad to address your complaint.

Sincerely,
Dave Strabo
Owner

Negative torontogrthumb
Toronto, ON (Zone 6a)
July 14, 2011
I bought this company's bag of 3 "Upright Alocasia" from costco in toronto with "more information" listed under which is the same website and company as Longfield Gardens in NJ

When you search through the "About Us" information, you can find out who they are and contact them.

One out of the three bulbs was already rotten when I bought it, and it is Costco policy that it is an opened package to contact the producer i.e the website. You cannot see most of the bulbs because they are sewn in a double-layered paper bag with a four inch mesh screen only. The bulb size was correct listing them as 9/11.

More importantly, the two other bulbs that are growing are noticeably different when I would expect them to be the same type of plant. After a month of growth, the third full leaf formed on the bulb, they do not appear to be "upright", but instead regular looking elephant ears.

When I contacted this company through their website, I wanted to know the nomenclature of the product I bought so I could look it up and get more information, I never received a response.

Overall, I am not happy. One was DOA (dead in the package), the other two seem too dissimilar, and none of them appear 'upright'.

Good luck getting an answer from them. You are buying what you can see and tell, without knowing what you are actually getting, and no way to find out what you've got!
Company representative comment on July 20, 2011:
On Jul 20, 2011 9:10 AM, Longfield Gardens responded with:

Hi Torontogrthumb,

We apologize for not responding to your e-mail. Our policy is to respond to customer complaints within 24 hours and if it is a weekend we respond on the first work day. We must have overlooked the web-form that you submitted. This is clearly our mistake.

I would like to solve this problem as quickly as possible. I can be contacted directly at [email protected].

Thank you.

Positive judy40a
Averill Park, NY
May 22, 2011
Ordered a multitude of dahlia, begonia, and gladiolus bulbs. Great variety, fair prices, and availability not found at other sites. Delivery time was reasonable. Haven't planted yet, but bulbs all look big and healthy, so very pleased! Emailed company to let them know boxes were slightly damaged (tape on bottom had let go on one end), and received immediate response. Definitely recommend this nursery.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]