The scoop on 'Hydrangeas Plus'

Hydrangeas Plus

Hydrangeas Plus has 100 products listed in PlantScout.

Aurora, Oregon 97002-9302 (United States)

Phone: 1-866-433-7896
Paper Catalog Cost: $4.75 (refundable w/1st order)

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Amethyst Hill Nursery (formerly Bell Family Nursery)

Company Comment, posted on March 21, 2009:
We are offering some exciting new hydrangeas for 2009 that will be a fabulous addition to your garden. We have some great cutting cultivars for those of us that love fresh color in the summer. Some cultivars have fabulous fall color. Our new 2009 hydrangea varieties will be of particular interest to the serious hydrangea fan and those discriminating home gardeners who thrive on the joy and challenges of creating a showcase garden to enjoy for a lifetime. Be sure to look for our new offerings in the NEW VARIETIES - 2009 section on our website. We have added more information for our products to assist you in your purchasing decisions and finding that perfect hydrangea for that container or space in your garden.

The plants you order from Hydrangeas Plus are grown under "real life" conditions which means they are easily transplanted and should readily bloom in your outside garden. We pride ourselves in providing our customers with healthy and vibrant plants. Our motto, "We grow with care and it shows...", is not just lip service.

Comments:

Positive bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
April 5, 2013
Posted on March 25, 2013, updated April 5, 2013
Very good experienced with H plus. Fast transaction I can't believe, plants arrived shortly after ordered. Price and shipping cost are exactly what I really willing to pay. Good selection and detail explanation on any single variety. Plants are big and healthy roots, jump up quickly after potted them. Communication was excellent over email to see my order update. Recommended to any hydrangea lovers.
On April 5th, 2013, bluebuster77 added the following:

I did it again! Second order within a month base on their quality plants and service from first order. Plants are thrive and happy, lush and showing load of flower buds. No matter what size plants I order, quality is great as I expected. Packaging was great, shipping was accurate, and easy transaction. Want to see more new variety and I will definitely buy from again.
Positive Cloisters
New Bern, NC
July 1, 2011
I am extremely pleased with both the service and the product I received last month from Hydrangeas Plus. Within a ten-day period, eight similar plants were shipped to me by four separate vendors. I was pleased with each vendor's plants, but the one I received from Hydrangeas Plus (a rare form of climbing hydrangea) was the most impressive by far -- lush top growth, larger than expected, extensive root system . . .

Packaging/shipping were A1. I was particularly impressed with this vendor's e-mail contacts (multiple & unsolicited) regarding my order. Great customer service.
Positive cdwal
Charlottesville, VA (Zone 7b)
April 22, 2011
In a word - Fabulous!! I just ordered 5 hydrangeas (all 3-year old plants) from Hydrangea's Plus and I am very impressed and so pleased with my experience from the point of ordering through the delivery. I received an email confirmation of my order right away, and then I contacted Kristin to make certain that the shipping date was good, as they were travelling across the country from Oregon to Virginia. Kristin responded promptly and assured me it was fine, as she had researched the weather along the route. And I also received a tracking number on the day they shipped and they even arrived a day early!

All arrived in excellent condition, and were leafed out and had strong branches. The packing was done carefully and the root balls were still moist. I got them in the ground and I can't wait! I purchased varieties you simply don't see, even at the most sophisticated nurseries and I really appreciate that you can choose the age of the specimens. The three-year old plants are an impressive size and so healthy looking.

I can't say enough positive things about my experience with them - I just need to figure out where I can plant more!
Positive jenniealice
Fort Bragg, CA
March 30, 2011
I'm really happy with the plants I received: 4 total. Very large (I opted for the more mature plants) and barely a twig broken from being packed and shipped. Already they're growing in their new homes here. I'll order again soon.
Positive katie59
Woodinville, WA (Zone 8b)
March 16, 2011
I can't say enough about these guys. This was the best mail order of plants I've ever received. Lots of communication about delivery. Delivery on the date I requested. Beautiful packing. And my 12 little Hydrangea babies are all plump, budded out and happy. I will be ordering again (just as soon as I find room in the yard to make another bed).
Negative policiaboy
Bronx, NY
March 31, 2010
Received the hydrangeas I ordered abt 3 weeks ago. I ordered the 3 year old hydrangeas and feel like I got the short end of the stick. The hydrangeas I recieved were barey 12 inches tall, while other people on this forum give glowing reviews of how big theirs were. For the price I paid I could have got them at Home Depot for half the price. The only good thing about them was the packaging and they arrived in good condition. Perhaps they sent me 1 year old plants, even though I paid for 3 year old plants.
Positive JPride1127
Detroit, MI
May 21, 2009
Great plants. Plants spent three hot days in a box, the three hottest days we have had this summer and still look great. Minimal damage to plants from shipping. Very healthy. Thanks a bunch.
Positive LyndaT
Richland, WA
November 22, 2008
Hybdrangeas Plus is the best. The selection, plant quality, shipping, cooperation, help, advice, prices, catalog...all of it. Exceptional. I have 3 fairly rare varieties and 1 common (but still hard for me to find in my small town) variety that I have purchased through them over the past two years. I recommend them without hesitation. The only problem I have is that I have run out of protected places to put them in my desert garden.
Positive jane_stevens9
Wichita, KS
October 22, 2008
I have ordered from Hydrangea Plus many times and have been pleased with the plants they shipped. If initially stressed from traveling halfway across the country in a box, they pulled through and are now doing just fine. Kristin offered to replace an 'Annabelle' that didn't live; furthermore, I didn't have to ask. Hydrangea Plus is a company I will never hesitate to order from when the menu calls for a hydrangea. Thanks, Kristin!
Positive shipmra
Madison, AL (Zone 7a)
May 5, 2008
I was EXTREMELY impressed with my purchase from Hydrangeas Plus!!

I ordered a 2-year "Kardinal", which was very hard to find, along with a bag of their fertilizer. They immediately contacted me about a suitable ship date, shipped the next week, and I received it very quickly.

When I opened the box, I was just about speechless. The stems on the plant are longer than the length from my elbow to the tips of my fingers (and I have long arms and fingers)! It's very well branched and rooted, lush, and even had a bud or two on it. It's bigger than some of the hydrangeas I've seen at the local nursery and about 10 times larger than my now 2-year-old cuttings that I received in '06 from another mail order source. (I'd be happy to send anyone a photo that is interested). This is definitely the largest plant I've ever received through the mail, let alone for the price.

The packaging was also excellent. It was wrapped very well and didn't even seem to mind being shipped across the country.

I would definitely order from them again.
Positive Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY (Zone 6b)
October 28, 2007
I am very impressed with this company. I am learning that you will receive better quality from companies that specialize. I placed an order for Hydrangea Serrata Miranda - 2 year and Hydrangea Serrata Beni Gaku - 2 year . Based upon other members' experiences with UPS, I opted for USPS. The plants came in excellent condition. The root ball was still moist. I will definitely be ordering from them again.
Positive victorianblu
Eureka, CA
October 11, 2007
This company offers a plethora of cultivars. This was my first experience with Hydrangea's Plus...and definately will not be my last ! I was notified when the plants were shipped. They provided clear and concise information which included specific planting information to ensure a sucessful outcome. It was evident when I opened up my parcel, that this company takes great pride in their business. Each plant was very well protected & secured for the travel across the States. It is clear that Hydrangea's Plus is a company that takes great pride in what they offer the gardening enthusiast... truly a flawless buying experience.
Positive walkergardens
Sheridan, AR (Zone 7b)
September 21, 2007
I received my second order from this company today. After the first order, I didn't think twice about ordering from Hydrangeas Plus so when I decided to order some more for my gardens once our summer heat was gone, I knew exactly where to look for some interesting varieties that aren't found locally.

I ordered a one-year Macrophylla Kardinal (my second from them); a Macrophylla Rotdrossel, one-year; a two-year-old Paniculata Webb; a one-year Dichroa Febrifuga; and a one-year Macrophylla Harlequin.

I chose one-year plants for two reasons: (1) you can't beat the price for these healthy plants; and (2) past experience ensured me they'd be healthy, grow just fine and would be larger than I thought they'd be. I wasn't disappointed in my order.

I placed the order on Friday evening and my order arrived, complete and exactly as described, on Thursday. I am now placing a third order as I'm thrilled with the quality of my new plants. They were completely healthy, arrived packed well and still damp, and I just can't say enough about this great company!

Thanks, Hydrangeas Plus for helping make my garden (and future gardens) the most unique in our area!
Positive BlackDogKurt
Seymour, CT
September 15, 2007
This month (September 2007), I placed my first order with Hydrangea Plus for one three-year Hydrangea Macrophylla Souvenior De Presidente Doumer. The plant was shipped the next day after I ordered it and I received it right on time and in excellent condition. I would highly recommend Hydrangeas Plus for anyone looking for a great selection and variety of quality hydrangeas.
Positive RIPlanter
Barrington, RI
May 20, 2007
I ordered several 3-year old plants from this company, in varieties that are not available at local nurseries. The company monitored the weather in my area, and notified me that they were delaying the shipment a couple of weeks because of cold. This delay was a good thing, because we got a late frost which probably would have hurt the plants. I was very impressed that the company would go to these lengths to assure the quality of their plant delivery.

The plants were very well packed, but definitely suffered from the trip (a full day on the local UPS truck didn't help). The plants had very substantial root balls, and very large amounts of foliage, including numerous flower heads. I e-mailed the company photos of the plants to show that some of the plants were wilted upon arrival. I had several pleasant e-mail exchanges over the next week, monitoring the progress of the plants and offering me advice on how to ease the transition. When it became clear that a couple of the plants had not perked up after a week, the company shipped me two new plants at no charge. The quality of the plants was obvious, and I don't blame the company for the rough handling by UPS. (The second shipment was USPS and in much better shape.) The fact that the company was readily available to offer advice, and then stood behind its product, speaks volumes to the company's integrity.
Positive fakecanadia
Brooklyn, NY
April 19, 2007
This was the second season I've ordered 3 year plants from Hydrangeas Plus. In the fall I ordered two climbing Moonlight Schizophragma which put out a good amount of growth before going dormant. They are budding furiously now, and continue to look healthy.
For the spring I just received my Izo no Hana (a new variety for them). It arrived with a full set of beautiful green leaves, and the beginnings of a dozen bloom heads.

They ship quickly (2nd day) and answer all my email questions--even about the plants I bought in the fall. Plus, their catalogue is beautifully done, and provides a lot of care info. I will definitely continue to order from them in the future.
Positive kmhughes
Los Altos, CA
October 26, 2006
Received my plants yesterday. What a surprise, after my experience ordering hydrangeas from Wayside. Hydrangeas Plus offers 1 year and 3 year old plants. I ordered a couple of 1-year-old plants from them, and to balance it out (a compromise) I ordered a couple of 2-year-old quart-size hydrangeas from Wayside. Wayside ended up charging me for gallon-size, and sent me puny quart-size plants (I am very unhappy, but that is another story). Then, I got my 1-year-old plants from Hydrangeas Plus. They were 3 times the size of the supposed 2-year-old Wayside plants, and had a gallon-size root ball. I am very happy with my plants from Hydrangeas Plus, even more so when I compare them to what I got from Wayside. And they were shipped better, nicely wrapped to help prevent any breakage.
Neutral DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
May 31, 2006
I had a disappointing experience with this vendor. I placed an order for a Hydrangea Querquefolia Snowflake (a 3 year plant, at $42.50,not including shipping) on January 9, 2006, and received a confirming invoice, which noted that my plant was “in queue”. On February 25, I let them know that I would be out of town from April 14 to April 18, and received an e-mail thanking me for my schedule and stating that I would receive e-mail notification of shipping. I did this with several vendors, including Forest Farm and Bluestone. Forest Farm was particularly accommodating in shipping my order after my return. Bluestone’s normal shipping for my zone, 5a, was May, but I was pleased by the handling of the matter by customer service. On April 25 I received an e-mail from Kristin Van House at Hydrangea Plus stating that my Snowflake could not be sent until fall. Evidently my plant was given to someone else who placed the initial order after I did. I declined fall shipment. Fortunately I was able to immediately order an excellent 3-foot (advertised at 12 to 18 inches) Sykes Dwarf from Plant and Gnome, which cost a total of $18.00, including shipping. Otherwise, I would have had a large and obvious hole in my landscaping, and as the owner of several other oakleafs, I am aware that fall planting greatly increases the chance of winter death in zone 5a.
Positive DCUrbanGardener
Washington, DC (Zone 7a)
May 12, 2006
This is somewhat of a late post. The lone hygrandea I ordered from them arrived two weeks ago, on time and prompt. It looked very healthy, with plenty of soil around the root ball, which was a little dry. I watered it and the plant woke up.

The packing was done rather well, the root ball tightly wrapped in a plastic bag, so no dirt was tossed around. The 1-year old plant came with a few florets too, so I am anxiously waiting their bloom this summer.

Their catalog is very well written. Definitely appreciate the information and pictures.
Positive terracotta
Santa Barbara County, CA (Zone 9a)
July 16, 2005
I ordered a 1-year-old 'Wayne's White' hydrangea this past Monday morning. It was delivered yesterday afternoon (Thursday). It was very well packaged. The plant was much bigger than I expected, looked very healthy, and had a nice big ball of soil around its roots. I just planted it today, and it looks right at home in its new place. I am very pleased with the hydrangea and with this company, and (thanks to their catalog of lovely hydrangeas) will undoubtedly be ordering from them again. (Oh yes, and the catalog has growing tips, pruning advice, and other helpful information in addition to the photos and descriptions of the hydrangeas they sell.)
Positive Redsprite
Hagerstown, MD (Zone 6b)
July 8, 2005
I ordered 2 'Nikko Blue' and 2 'Tovelit" hydrangeas from Hydrangeas Plus. Shipping was very quick and I was pleased with the size and condition of my plants. They were good size for 1 year plants (the Tovelit hydrangeas were particularly large - closer to 2 year old). I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.
Positive cynthiaferrell
Trenton, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 26, 2005
Ordered three hydrangeas from this company. Plants received were extremely healthy and shipping was relatively quick.
Positive renojean
Reno, NV (Zone 6a)
April 14, 2005
I ordered two Annabelle hydrangeas and they arrived this week in superb condition. I have no doubt they will do well. I just wish they had some three-year specimens when I ordered. Mine are one-year plants and although they are small they should do just fine.
Positive 75751
Fort Mill, SC (Zone 7b)
April 1, 2005
I am extremely pleased with my purchase of five hydrangeas
this spring. My hydrangeas arrived very healthy and I was
pleased with the quick service. I would highly recommend
this company for anyone who wants to pruchse hydrangeas.
I ordered three hydrangeas from another company and the
hydrangeas are not nearly has healthy. Thank you Hydrangea Plus!
Positive doss
Stanford, CA (Zone 9b)
March 18, 2005
I ordered 4 evergreen climbing Hydrangeas that I hadn't seen anywhere else - my local nursery man said that he'd never heard of them. I also ordered an old standard. I ordered two - they came in two days and in great shape. Then I ordered two more and then called and changed the order to 3 more. Each time they were patient and helpful. The second shipment of plants were in great shape too.

They were also very helpful in helping me with the speed of growth of the plant and the growing conditions I have to work with.

Shipping was very inexpensive. It was a flat $6.00 for each shipment.

Here's hoping that the climbing ones like it on the fence they're on.
On September 7th, 2006, doss added the following:

I ordered three more hydrangeas from Hydrangeas Plus. They were huge, came packed beautifully and arrived right on time. Personal service in selecting the hydrangeas was excellent. And of course, the selection is great.
The climbing hydrangeas that I bought before are still doing very well. I'm extremely pleased.
Positive TamiMcNally
Lake Placid, FL (Zone 9b)
June 8, 2004
Prompt service

Packaged well

All plants look great except for one that is native to my area. It just never grew and shrivleled up died. However, when I realized the plant was dead, it was beyond their guarantee period.
Neutral ctgardener
Sherman, CT (Zone 5b)
May 23, 2004
I purchased a Blaumeise specimen from Hydrangeas Plus last spring after a long telephone consultation. The plant arrived looking a bit droopy and had a very tiny root ball. The area it was planted in drains well and the planting instructions provided were meticulously followed. It was protected over the winter and I was truly looking forward to it's blossoming this year. The plant did not survive.

When contacted via email, they stated that I may not have protected the plant sufficiently and questioned the zone. This was particularly offensive since this was one of my initial concerns. Another hydrangea purchased locally and planted at the same time is thriving.

They offered to replace it at half price plus shipping, which is why this rating is neutral. I declined their offer not wanting to throw good money after bad.

Positive Copperbaron
Vicksburg, MS (Zone 8a)
March 15, 2004
Another mail order company that has got it right. I ordered 12 lacecaps and they are all large for the price with lush foliage. Their packing is professional with little to no damage shipping from Oregon to Vicksburg. Two thumbs up!
Positive haleygem
Saugus, MA
September 26, 2003
My first time ordering from this company was a pleasure. I would recommend them to anyone looking to purchase a hydrangea. They were quick responding to the inital order and sent a follow up e-mail. When the plant came it was clearly marked live plant for the delivery man and came when I specified. The plant was in very good health, color and looks and transplanted nicely into my garden. It is now flourishing. I would, and will be, ordering from them again.
Neutral tjgillham
Madison, WI
September 11, 2003
I ordered hydrangeas for the first time this year via mail order. I received two plants from Hydrangeas Plus and was a little dissapointed, although if they have a variety I want will probably order from them again. The two plants I received (both paniculata) had very little dirt around the root balls and were very stressed when I received them. It took at least three months of repeated wilting before they finally settled in (other hydrangeas I ordered from other companies did not have this same problem). They appear to be doing ok now. I don't have to water as frequently as I did for the first few months so I am very hopeful they should make it through their first winter.
Positive Lizzytish
Wareham, MA (Zone 7a)
May 27, 2003
I have had the most delightful experience ordering and receiving plants from this company. The customer service is tops. There were no less than 5 e-mails probably more checking to make sure the weather had warmed enough so the plants would not be damaged by frost, and when they arrived they were in excelent condition and are now in the ground and seemingly doing fine. I would recomend them highly.
Positive gevans
May 22, 2002
I just had a great experience with a first order from this company. I live in NW Ohio and am experimenting with growing lacecaps and other hydrangeas. After I researched what might do well in my area (using the Hydrangeasplus bbs, which have since been discontinued, and the info on their website), I chose 3 varieties -- White Moth, Mariesii Perfecta, and Blue Wave. I emailed them to ask about which variety would be best for my three projected planting sites, and they quickly emailed back with recommendations. They emailed me before they shipped to confirm that I would be there to plant them and that my frost free date was as I specified on the order form.

Well, I said send them, and they did, and they arrived in very good condition, well wrapped and thriving. Then NW Ohio got hit with a weird cold wave with threats of frost that lasted for more than a week, and I stupidly stuck them in the garage for 10 days, thinking to preserve bloom for this year (I should have just planted them, duh.) Despite the stress of shipping and an inhospitable environment for 10 days, they are now in the ground and looking great.

If they don't thrive and don't bloom, it will be my site, my climate and my dumbness, because they arrived in great condition and their customer service was prompt, friendly and individual.