The scoop on 'Bluff View Nursery'

Bluff View Nursery

4155 Hills Creek Rd
McMinnville, Tennessee 37110 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on November 24, 2013:
Bluffviewnursery, is one of the most respected online retailers of wildflower bulbs, perennial plants, flower bulbs and vinca minor ground cover in all of North America. Our people have been helping supply gardeners since 2006. We seek to be a trusted gardening partner for creative gardeners and those who are willing to combine new ideas and products with classic favorites. Our customers range from some of the most experienced horticulturists in the country, to those who simply want to add a little color to their life, and everyone in between-Currently, up to 1000 gardeners per day visit bluffviewnursery.org, and have made it their gardening headquarters,but just like any company there is times we cannot make everyone happy and if this does ever happen we will do everything in our power to make it right because our customers are top priority

Comments:

Neutral Soosui
Herndon, VA
October 18, 2014
I have had trouble reaching them about my order. I got an email weeks ago that it was shipped, but have not received plants. No tracking info was given with the email. I called and someone tried to explain that I would receive a different email when they really shipped, and that someone would get back to me. No one called. Seems from other posts that perhaps they accidentally generate a "your order has shipped" email when the order is processed or something. Needless to say I hope this works out and that the plants will be shipped sometime soon. I was so happy to find reasonably priced Mertensia virginica and Erythronium americanum. I sent a email weeks ago and another today.
Company representative comment on October 20, 2014:
On Oct 20, 2014 6:52 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

Hi Anne its Todd from Bluffview i truly want to apologize for all the trouble with your order and there was a major mixup and we will get your order shipped out this week in no way did we mean for this to happen we are truly honest people

Neutral denjr
Pace, FL
August 14, 2014
Posted on July 25, 2014, updated August 14, 2014
Posted on July 15, 2014, updated July 25, 2014
Posted on July 1, 2014, updated July 15, 2014
I ordered Christmas ferns, Solomon\'s seal and lily-of-the-valley from Bluff View in late January! I was notified by email that my credit card had been charged on Feb. 4. Nothing since. I\'ve emailed, called and left messages, and hoped a lot. Still no response. Seems like this blog is the only place the nursery folks respond, so I\'m giving it a shot. Will update when/if anything happens....
On July 15th, 2014, denjr added the following:

Still no feedback from Bluffview Nursery....
On July 25th, 2014, denjr added the following:

Congratulations, jaybee9011! I still haven\'t heard anything. I hope they will send (or resend) my order as well. If I don\'t hear anything soon, I will try filing a complaint with the BBB in the area where Bluffview is located.
On August 14th, 2014, denjr changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Bluff View Nursery did respond to the complaint I filed with the Better Business Bureau of Middle Tennessee, Inc. I received my order on Aug. 13, and all the items seem fresh and (hopefully) viable, although the Solomon's seal and lily-of-the-valley roots are smallish. I am happy that this matter has been resolved, and if the plants grow well I would consider ordering from Bluff View Nursery again.
Neutral jaybee9011
Brockton
Canada
August 12, 2014
Posted on July 25, 2014, updated August 12, 2014
Posted on July 24, 2014, updated July 25, 2014
Posted on July 23, 2014, updated July 24, 2014
I wish I\'d read the reviews for Bluffview Nursery prior to ordering from them. I ordered the first week of June --- time has long gone past to complain to paypal about a fraudulent company. I have emailed Bluff view Nursery with zero response from them. I received an email early July that plants were being shipped. Still no plants --- still no response to emails. Seriously disappointed and seriously would not recommend this nursery. Even if plants were truly shipped and really did arrive would there be any life left in them after a month somewhere in transit? If I can get a refund I will gladly pursue that avenue.

On July 24th, 2014, jaybee9011 added the following:

No response from Todd at Bluffview Nursery after several emails in past month. This company must be a scam and they\'ve likely moved on to other money makers. They wait until the 45 days with Paypal are past. Your payment has gone through and nothing you can do about it I guess. Fraud and scam from this nursery.
On July 25th, 2014, jaybee9011 added the following:

I received a message from Bluffview Nursery early this morning that they are going to re ship my order.
On August 12th, 2014, jaybee9011 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Todd contacted me two or three more times and did send out a package of plants --- they arrived Aug. 12 and all roots look good. It was a long haul and much emailing and complaining but the plants did indeed finally make. Thank you Todd for following through. Good job.
Positive TomandPia
Rochester, MI
June 9, 2014
Hello, today we have received our plants from Bluffview Nursery and we are very pleased. We placed out order around 5/2/2014 , sent several emails and phone calls and really did not receive any communication thus it left us a little uneasy about the transaction . We had a trip planned and wanted to make sure the plants do not sit on a hot porch.We called and asked that our order is not to be shipped until after Memorial Day, we actually got an email that they where shipped but maybe that was an error???
Nevertheless we are happy with the quality and when we order again we just expect it to take about a month..just a little better communication would ease most concerns.
Great quality, fresh plants, good rootstock for Lily of the Valley and nice healthy seeds for Jack in the Pulpit..Thank you, the Tucker's from Michigan
Negative Kaiju
Austintown, OH
May 6, 2014
i wish i had seen these reviews before i had ordered from here. i order a small order of just 3 spice bushes a red cedar and an iron wood tree back on april 2nd, finally after waiting over 2 weeks and hearing no reply i called the nursery on april 17th and talked to a nice lady who took my information down, two days later on the 19th of april i got an email from todd explaining that by monday it would be shipped out with a tracking number, monday came and went with nothing, i called again on the 3rd of may and talked to the nice lady again and she said todd would call me back or reply to me in an email, it is now tuesday may 6th and i have heard nothing. i am extremely dissapointed with the customer service of this company if you cannot fill my order i want a refund. i will never again do business with this company.
Company representative comment on May 7, 2014:
On May 8, 2014 12:33 AM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

Hi Kaijo its Todd from bluffview i want to apologize about your order i had no idea that you had not received it because i have been out of town but i want you to know you will get another order shipped out to you with extra of all your plants we have never scammed anyone and never ever will

Negative satarina
Jonesborough, TN (Zone 6b)
May 4, 2014
I placed an order through their Etsy storefront on April 16. On April 21, it was still marked as not shipped, so I sent a messaged asking about it. The reply was quick but short, just "hi its shipping tomorrow". Well, by April 25 it was still saying not shipped. I sent another message asking if it had shipped or not (still being positive). I heard nothing and the order status didn't change. I went looking and found all the reviews on here (yeah, I should have looked before ordering) with people who have had the same issues. I checked their Etsy reviews, and it really seems like people who ordered after I did had already received their stuff. So on May 1 I sent a message basically saying that if my order didn't ship that day, and by shipping I meant really leaving, not just generating a tracking number, I wanted a refund. Amazingly, I still didn't hear from them. The next day the order status was changed to shipped, but there wasn't (and still isn't) a tracking number. And, of course, there's no sign of my order.

I have opened a case with Etsy to let them know how this place does business. I just can't understand how they can do this for years and still not have enough sense to communicate with the customer. An email or message that they're backordered, or that the late freeze damaged their stock, whatever - any kind of information as to why I have neither my order or a reason for a delay would have avoided this whole mess.
Company representative comment on May 4, 2014:
On May 4, 2014 3:23 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

Hi first of all we at bluffview nursery want to apologize for for all the trouble with your purchase and the delay and not responding to your emails i try my best to respond to every message but this time i could not as i explained thru etsy because i have been away with a very close family member that has been very very sick, again i apologize and i did send you a full refund today im truly sorry

Neutral pi314
Wolf Trap, VA
December 29, 2013
Posted on September 9, 2013, updated December 30, 2013
My order was placed in early May and it is now early September and I still haven't received. I requested a refund about a month ago and still haven't been acknowledged. My experiences are very similar to others listed here. I recommend doing business with a different company. I've contacted the BBB for help in getting my money back for plants I never received.
On December 29th, 2013, pi314 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Update: In December I did receive my refund in full. I greatly appreciate the honesty of the Bluffview Nursery staff. It did take a while to get the money; however, it was paid back and I was not cheated. Thank you.
Negative kenjack123
Asheville, NC
December 29, 2013
TOTAL SCAM!!!!!!! Beware. Ordered $112.00 worth of bare root plants 11/15 , and no plants. Checked the status of my order shortly after ordering and it said"shipped". Contacted them by e-mail to tell them that my order didn't arrive and received a response from Todd telling me "don't pay no attention to it showing shipped".. weather issues, he said. I live 256 miles away. Tennessee to North Carolina. Well, on 12/11, he said he'd ship what was ready...guess what..nothing.. and now no response at all after numerous e-mails. Going that way in two weeks to pick up a coldframe from Morton's (same town), may stop by this place with my buds..I'll let you know if it even exist.
Company representative comment on December 30, 2013:
On Dec 30, 2013 11:00 AM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

Hi Kenneth I am truly sorry for the delay and we are truly honest people the weather did get us behind we have been trying to plant and dig but all the bad weather slowed us down because we dig everything fresh never store anything,but here is the tracking with usps priority mail 9405 5036 9930 0188 6235 19 I am truly sorry from the bottom of my heart for it taking so long

Positive btuset
FAIRFAX STATION, VA
September 15, 2013
My shipment was delayed but when I communicated via email I always got a prompt reply and my shipment was sent as soon as they could manage it.

I am very happy with the vigor of the root stock I ordered and am busy planting 60 each wild ginger and Allegheny spurge this weekend and next.
Based on the product quality I just ordered 60 hay-scented ferns. Hopefully they come soon. I know they will be healthy and well packed.

Negative Carolina4
Trumbull, CT
August 26, 2013
I placed an order in early May. I waited about a month and received a shipement which was not the right one. I called and spoke to Todd who said he had sent me someone else's order and he would get mine out right away. I waited and waited and nothing arrived. I called repeatedly and they were aware of the situation and I was assured that my order would be sent out immediately. Well, it is now the last week in August and i still HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY ORDER! I have called repeatedly and get no answer. I have emailed repeatedly and get no reply. I have asked for a refund. NOTHING! Basically they have taken my money and left me with nothing. I even told them I would be posting a negative reveiw if they didn't reply. Apparently they don't care. I will be filing a complaint with Pay Pal as well. Unfortunately I read these reviews too late. I will NEVER deal with this comany again...and neither should you!
On Nov 21, 2013 1:19 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

we at Bluff view nursery are honest people and have never scamed anyone this customer did recieve the coreect items in a reshipment we apologize for any trouble and we always try and work with our customers

Negative Chanali
Bloomington, IN
August 22, 2013
I ordered $43 worth of plants in June. They notified by email me that they shipped them. In July I realized they never arrived, and I notified them. No answer. I sent another email weeks later. No answer. I started a dispute on the PayPal resolution center. No reply even then. I have now escalated this to a claim, which PayPal will mediate.

I wish now I had read the reviews on this forum before sending them money. Never again!
On Nov 21, 2013 1:03 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

we at Bluff view nursery are honest people and have never scamed anyone this customer did recieve there items the reason the shipment was late was because of paypal having a problem on there end showing some customers had not completed there transaction this was caused when paypal updated there system

Positive Patchouli85
Jackson
United States
August 4, 2013
Posted on July 20, 2013, updated August 4, 2013
I ordered from bluffview 6/22 and today is 7/20. The only information I've received is usps telling me they have been notified to expect a package from the shipper. I'm getting the same run around as everyone else on this page, but I do believe I will get my order now seeing that they haven't actually stolen anyones money (that I've read of). I'm a small grower and I was really looking forward to finding someone to buy bulk trillium from. Luckily I made a small first order. When I spoke to them on the phone they were very nice, but now I cant get hold of anyone. It would of gone a long way if they had just told me that it would be a while until it shipped, instead they made up this excuse about the weather and said it would ship the next day. If you want repeat customers you should try to earn theyre respect.honesty goes a long way. I'll update this if I ever do receive my plants.
On August 4th, 2013, Patchouli85 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I finally received my order and it was all very good quality.Fresh! I wi ll order from them in the future, and recommend them to my friends. It takes a long time to receive your order, and theres some communication issues, but its worth the wait. place order 45 days in advance.
Negative Jrjackso
Columbia, IL
July 2, 2013
I ordered from Bluffview Nursery on May5th, 2013. I waited a month anxiously for my plants and nothing was delivered. I contacted Todd and the woman that answered the phone was very pleasant and assured me that they were working on my order and would send it the next week. That was during the first week of June. I sent emails and have called with no response. I ordered through PayPal and this business immediately charged my account so I wish I would have read the reviews before I ordered. I see the responses that they say they are honest people but I just want my order. I am not sure if I am ever going to receive it. They must be so busy in the fields they don't have time to fill their customers needs. I am wondering why they would treat their valued customers so poorly. I hope they will still send my order but I am losing hope.
On Nov 21, 2013 1:13 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

Hi we at Bluff view nursery are truly honest people and our customers are top priority but sometimes we do have delays in shipping that's out of our hands when in the plant business it can be hard to ship ontime sometimes because of massive amounts of orders and mother nature,but this order was shippied with usps tracking number 9405503699300494068509

Negative Mayim
Colesville, MD
June 25, 2013
Like many of the posters here I experience poor communication and delayed shipping. In my case, about a month after ordering I'd still not received the plants - despite calling twice to be told that the plants either would ship the next day or that they had shipped. However, the tracking number they provided only showed that the electronic entry had been made but not the the plants had shipped. The man on the phone kept telling me that he'd shipped (he told me this before but plants never came) and that for the second time it must be the post office's fault and that they were late in updating the tracking. By then I'd lost faith that I was being told the truth and to avoid the issue of trying to get money back post 45 days I asked for my money back. The gentleman tried to talk me out of this repeatedly - then said that if he gave my money back I'd have to ship back plants. I said fine, as long as he sent me a shipping label. I insisted on money back with him still arguing with me until a woman broke in and said to the man, just quit talking and send her money back (clearly she'd been listening on the line without my knowing about it). I was then hung up on but I did receive a notice from paypal that they'd returned my money. I've been watching to see if the post office tracking number is 'updated' as the man claimed it would be and there's been no change in it indicating any plants were ever shipped (either time), so I'm pretty sure I was just being strung along. I don't care at this point if their plants are good or cheap - I simply don't want to do business with a company that is willing to give false info about orders. It came out ok for me because I did get my money back but it was a completely frustrating experience. Buyer beware.
On Nov 21, 2013 12:56 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

we at Bluff view nursery are honest people and have never scamed anyone this customer did recieve a full refund we apologize for any trouble and we always try and work with our customers

Positive DannyR
Newfield, NY
April 22, 2013
I ordered on April 10th and received it April 22, 2013. It left TN on the 19th and had USPS tracking.
I really was not concerned with speed, or I would have asked about that when I called.
When I did call the woman was friendly and helpful.
I bought 240 Vinca Minor and 5 bramble type berries. My neighbor who knows her stuff took a look and was quite happy with the way the plants looked and were packed. She was concerned with one of the berry varieties... but it turns out that that they had included a marginal plant at no charge.
I was happy with my purchase and intend on ordering from them again.
Positive stacieg
Marietta, GA
April 17, 2013
Posted on April 14, 2013, updated April 17, 2013
I ordered plants nearly a month ago (3/16) and still have not received anything. They said on 3/26 that they would be shipping the very next day, but nothing was shipped. It would have arrived by now from TN to GA.

On 4/2 they sent a tracking number, but it does not indicate that the post office has received the package yet.

I am a patient person, but this (now 4/14) is too long to wait with no definite ship date from the seller. I will post an update if the plants ever arrive.
On April 17th, 2013, stacieg changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Plants arrived 3/17 in ok condition and correct quantity. I planted them immediately, and if they grow properly, I will definitely consider purchasing again from this seller. Despite a long wait for delivery, their prices are extremely reasonable. The product did eventually arrive. I only recommend that you order significantly in advance of the time you'd like to plant (at least a month in advance if not more).
Negative FdLtreer
Fond du Lac, WI
July 9, 2012
Posted on May 12, 2012, updated July 9, 2012
I had bought tree seedlings from Bluff View Nursery thru eBay in Jan. 2012 to be planted in the spring. When I asked the seller to send order for a second time early April, he replied they were shipping the next morning. After waiting more than 3 weeks and never receiving them, I contacted the seller and asked for a refund--he replied "I do not care to refund your money". He refused any further replies to my contacting him. Like another post here on Dave's, neither eBay or PayPal could help me recover the payment to him as by now over their 45 day rule. I filed Internet Crime Complaint and a credit card dispute against this seller. Buyer beware!
On July 9th, 2012, FdLtreer added the following:

Finally got a refund for payment made to Bluff View Nursery after much work and time. I am now thinking that the nursery has poor communication with customers and not such great business sense.
Company representative comment on September 29, 2012:
On Sep 29, 2012 7:31 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

we at Bluff view nursery are honest people and have never scamed anyone this customer did recieve a full refund and did recieve there product also

Negative yubayuba2002
Chandler, TX
May 8, 2012
ordered in jan 2012, contacted feb n was told items were being sent that day, never received n couldnt get $ back when contacted pytpal as was beyond 45 days... checked with "bonanza" site order through n they arent even associated with them any more... theft n rip-off
Company representative comment on September 29, 2012:
On Sep 29, 2012 7:28 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

we at Bluff view nursery are honest people and we only ship top quality plants and wildflowers,during late spring we can get behind on orders because of the massive demand for our products and during this time its hard for use to respond right away regarding our customers order because we are in the fields till late hours but we will contact everyone as fast as we can,and for Bonanza the reason we are not on that site anymore was our own decision because there site didnt generate many sales,we have never scamed anyone and never will we are honest hard working people

Neutral arivas
New York, NY
December 9, 2011
Posted on November 28, 2011, updated December 9, 2011
Ordered Daffodil bulbs on the 14th of November.
10 days into it I still did not have a confirmation of my order other than the PayPal auto response.
Calling the place I was assured to get a call back... did not happen.
E-mailing the place was a waste of time as well.
12 days into it filed a dispute with PayPal
14 days into it it got a tracking number from PayPal which indicated the post office still has not received the package.

These are daffodil bulbs which should be planted in New York State before the ground freezes... we are now at the end of November. All my other bulbs arrived within 7 days of the order ...even directly from the Netherlands.
I still do not have an estimated shipping date ...!
Will update if there is some info forth coming.
On December 9th, 2011, arivas changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

The blubs did finally arrive, they were shipped two weeks after placing the order. They arrived fresh, in good shape, as promised they are small bulbs freshly dug ....and fresh they are.
Looking forward to seeing the results in spring.

If you are on a schedule and need the items on time give yourself a good lead. The guys at BluffView Nursery are not the greatest communicators.
Company representative comment on November 28, 2011:
On Nov 28, 2011 2:51 PM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

hi we emailed the customer 4 times about the shipment and we have tried to explain the best we can when and how they would be shipped,when the customer called we where away in the field trying to dig plants,this time of year is starting of our busy seasons and we cannot always ship the product at the time stated on our listing,these items have shipped and not always does the tracking update on time with usps,it also takes us longer on our plants and bulbs because we dig fresh and do not store anything thats why when you recieve them you will be getting the best money can buy

Negative clanross
Poplarville, MS (Zone 8b)
October 24, 2011
I ordered 500 "wild daffodil bulbs" from this company through Ebay. All the bulbs were small--very small. These were supposed to be bloom sized bulbs, but I do not believe they will bloom this spring. I paid $112 for the box of 500 bulbs. Only about 1/5 had visible root systems. Some (not a huge percentage, but noticable) were dead--soft and moldy-looking. I also bought a box of 150 tete a tete daffodil bulbs from another Ebay seller and that box was nearly twice as big as my box of 500 regular daffodils. (I paid about $35 for the 150). I checked bulbs at Lowes and they looked great for a comparable price. I feel that this company did not give me a good value and I have no plans to ever order from them again. (And I was planning to order many more daffodils.)
Company representative comment on October 25, 2011:
On Oct 25, 2011 7:56 AM, Bluff View Nursery responded with:

we understand that some of the wild daffodil bulbs seem small but the wild daffodils are the smallest bulbs of the daffodil family and the bulbs hardly ever get bigger than 2-5 cm,all bulbs go thru a very very strict grading system,and what we feel are bad bulbs is sorted out and replanted for our new stock,always at bluffview nursery the customer is top priority and we stand behind our products 100 %,our family has been in the nursery business for over 100 years and the only way we could have done this is from great customer satisfaction,and now for the bulbs at lowes no bulb lowes sales is a true wild daffodil they are marked to indicate they are but the truth is they are grand primo one of the largest bulbs in the daffodil family and will in no way have the same size or color bloom and when you purchase them 99% will have root systems missing also,all the bulbs that where mentioned above in the customers comment except ours are not ever grown in the USA they come from New Zeland and are shipped to memphis,tn where they are distribed to all lowes stores and before this happens they are in storage for months unlike ours that are dug fresh and never ever stored,and when you compare there price to ours you are paying double when buying theres and not getting the true wild yellow daffodil,we also informed this customer if there was a problem with them not growing they would be replaced free of charge