The scoop on 'Mushroom Mountain'

Mushroom Mountain

129 Merritt Rd
Liberty, South Carolina 29657 (United States)

Comments:

Positive jtellerelsberg
Norwich, VT (Zone 5a)
September 30, 2011
I ordered plug spawn for Laetiporus sulphureus, chicken-of-the-woods. My order was filled promptly and the plugs look to be in good condition, thoroughly colonized by the fungus. One reason I went with Mushroom Mountain for this order, instead of Fungi Perfecti which I have used in the past and been happy with, is that Mushroom Mountain carries "true" chicken-of-the-woods, L. sulphureus, whereas FP carries Laetiporus conifericola. Some (but not all) mushroom experts advise to avoid L. conifericola as there is a higher rate of sensitivity to that species. I decided to play it safe. (Also, the logs I had available were deciduous, whereas L. conifericola grows on Douglas fir or spruce.) This species can take more than a year before it produces mushrooms, so it'll be a while before I can say how successful the spawn is in practice in my logs.