The scoop on 'Rob's Rare and Giant Seeds (robsrareandgiantseeds.com) '

Rob's Rare and Giant Seeds (robsrareandgiantseeds.com)

1768 Hancock Road
Jasper, Tennessee 37345 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Neutral saradus
Maple Park, IL
July 30, 2014
Posted on November 2, 2013, updated July 30, 2014
Posted on October 29, 2013, updated November 2, 2013
Posted on October 15, 2013, updated October 29, 2013
I am experimenting with winter sowing this year and I\'ve been purchasing many different types of seeds from various vendors in preparation. I purchased Kochia Scoparia Grass and I received the seeds within 5 business days which was great. The seeds were neatly packed with thorough planting instructions. The seller included contact information. No problems, will definitely purchase from Rob\'s Rare Seeds again.
On October 29th, 2013, saradus added the following:

Update: Well that is not a very nice comment and I don\'t appreciate it, Kokomojewel. I\'m just a regular gardener and I only wrote of my own experience. Rawr. I\'ve ordered a bunch of seeds from several companies and I will be writing reviews on all of them as (1) I receive the seeds and (2) germination rates next spring/summer. Thank you for the shoutout.
On November 2nd, 2013, saradus added the following:

Kokomojewel, I agree with you in regards to purchasing from verified/vetted sellers. On my own behalf, I took a risk and purchased 1 pack of seeds from this seller for $1.65, about half the reviews for this product were good, and another half poor. I knew that going into the purchase. I find joy in experimenting and I decided that for myself, purchasing this pack of seeds was worth it for the sheer fun of trying to grow them in my winter sowing project. I have only purchased large seed orders from vendors on this website that have been vetted.

So for me the jury is out on this seller. As I stated previously, the seeds arrived quickly and were labeled, the seller had included his name and contact information. At this time I have no reason to not give this seller a positive review. But I thank you and appreciate the concern, and if next spring the seeds do not germinate, I will update my review accordingly. Best.
On July 30th, 2014, saradus changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

It turns out that my seeds did not germinate. Which means that it's either the seeds or it's an error on my part when planting. Hmm.
Negative tropicalover76
Beaufort, NC
March 25, 2014
I bought seeds from Robs Rare and Giant Seeds since my first purchase went smooth as butter.. my second as well, and now I am worried about the seeds germinating.. My third transaction has been outstanding for 2 going on 3 weeks now, and I have seen nothing of the seeds i ordered, or a refund. I have asked him/them repeatedly for a reply to my order at their website (not ebay) to get them to acknowledge I did pay for that order, I saw it was canceled out, but I did pay for it over at paypal, so I sent them tonight an invoice for the total order amount plus fees I soaked up, and the shipping, with either getting the seeds I ordered or the refund paid in full. If i have to take it to the BBB of TN I will. I also posted a question about said order at their page at Amazon about not getting the seeds or an answer about a refund. Will NOT be doing anymore business with them at any time in the future!
Negative kwishardt
Terrell, TX
January 28, 2014
I also had a bad experience with this person/company, I ordered scorpion pepper and when the plant started to produce, they were regular cayenne pepper. I contacted them several times and until this day no response. Will not buy from them again
Negative kokomojowel
Bowling Green, FL
October 29, 2013
Posted on October 28, 2013, updated October 30, 2013
Saradus seems like a shill of this seller. If he read his reviews, why on earth would he have purchased from rob with 75% bad reviews?

On my first and last order from ilg49 on ebay, my pumpkin seeds were smashed (he said replacements would be sent but never arrived). THe pepper seeds NEVER germinated & he is purely in this business to make money. He sends wrong seeds all the time, just read his amazon feedback. This seller is what forces me to avoid ebay altogether because with being in a position of 50,000 positive feedbacks, he doesn't care about fixing a customer's problem. He can just get a few negative feedbacks occasionally and chalk it up to blaming the buyer, as he does on NUMEROUS occasions here:

I'm only out $11 but I'm just posting to correct the impression which the October 15th comment gives. Buy seeds from home depot or lowe's or a highly vouched-for seller only. Caveat emptor on this seller! Buyer beware!
On October 29th, 2013, kokomojowel added the following:

I apologize Saradus. My gut instinct from reading your comment had mislead me to believe that you were defending a seller who has overwhelmingly negative reviews on trusted sites like Daves Garden and Amazon. I just thought it is naive of you to disregard the warnings mentioned on this page & gamble with your time, effort, and money (the first two things are the most valuable).

Sure, I was out $11 but in reality, I wasted 2 rows of 50-feet of garden space after I went out and bought 2 soaker hoses and kept all the weeds out for nearly 7 weeks before I realized I had been played a fool. I waited nearly that long still thinking my pumpkin seeds were "on their way" and it gave me more headache & frustration than the $11 could ever compare to. You like him, that's great. Just never complain about him or he will blame the buyer.

Maybe you've never heard the saying that reputations are earned in inches and lost in miles. In short, it means that a dozen acts of duplicity can erase a score of positive acts.

I went through the trouble of checking out Rob's listings and found the item you described, Kochia Scoparia Grass, for $1.65 Send me a private message through this website and tell me your paypal address. I will reimburse you twice the amount you paid him for the Kochia Scorpia grass seeds. Let my actions be a testament to the veracity of my past experience with him. I'll ship you $3.30 if you'll simply buy seeds from sellers who are highly vetted by the community of gardeners here at Dave's garden, rather than rewarding a disreputable seller like that:

Negative arnoamya
hashmonaim
Israel
July 14, 2013
I just received three packs of monk fruit seed, also known as arhat or lu han guo. Rather than freash seeds that are capable of germinating I got dried seeds that were apparently removed from the oven dried lu han guo fruit that you can buy in chinese markets and which cannot germinate!
Unfortunately there is no way to even contact the sellers so I appreciate you passing on the message.
Positive zoetropia
Baltimore, MD
April 30, 2013
I am surprised by all the negative feedback for Rob's Rare and Giant Seed. NO I do not work for them or know them at all, but I have ordered twice from them, once on eBay and once on their own site and feel I been successful in getting my seed orders from them.
One of the negative feedbacks has been posted verbatim on seemingly every outlet available.
Certainly there is some exaggeration in some of their listings (giant peanuts overloading a pickup truck et al) but, wasn't that obvious?
All of the seed packages came with instructions, and the owners address. All of the seeds look as they should per their description. Even the Monkshood was marked correctly as 'poisonous' keep away from children and pets with proper handling instructions!
I have spent hundreds of dollars on thousands of seeds from many different companies (mostly: non-GMO, organic. heirloom, rare and untreated) germination even with those reputable companies is not 100%, and I have some experience doing it!
I do consider Rob's Rare and Giant Seed, a 'fun' seed company. With the exception of 'GIANT AFRICAN PEANUTS' my fruit, vegetable and herb seed comes from companies that only provide- nonGMO, organic heirloom seeds. That being said, I have had no issues at all with my orders from Robs. The seeds are what they should be- I even googled some pictures of seed just to be sure, they came labeled and sealed in little zip lock bags, and actually got to me a lot quicker than some other seed companies.
Negative maara
waitakere
New Zealand
March 22, 2013
Bought "american ginseng seeds" they turned out to be carrots
very worried now because this guy has our credit card details.
Negative 808harleylady
Village Park, HI
August 28, 2012
I purchased Star Jasmine Vine seeds from him on Ebay. I planted the seeds and watched the vine grow. I noticed the leaves didn't look like the ones in his ad on Ebay. I let it grow until the flowers bloomed to make sure. The flowers were NOT white, were NOT star shaped and were NOT aromatic. I googled these flowers that only opened at night. And they turned out to be a moonflower of some sort.

All 5 of my vines came out the same with different color flowers. I took photos, emailed Rob multiple times. Got short answered replies if ANY. And when I asked for some resolution, HE DID NOT ANSWER ME.

Ebay's terms are 45 days for all items. How do we know this guy isn't selling WEEDS to people on ebay. By the time it grows, its past the 45 days!!!

It's not about the cost, its the principle. For $2.45, he's rather have upset customers than try to rectify the problem? Does he even have star jasmine vine seeds?

I'm glad I found this site so I could vent my frustration on an open forum to let others know not to buy from this company.

For the record, I had to email TWICE to get a response regarding the photos of the plants. His reply..."I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS" no duh. Thanks for confirming it ISN'T the plant you said it was supposed to be on your listing.

Based on the way he handles his business, I honestly feel like he's running a scam operation. Advertising one item and giving the people crap seeds.
Negative therd3
Lebanon, OR
July 4, 2012
I bought GIANT ATLANTIC PUMPKIN Seeds from them on Ebay but they were not GIANT ATLANTIC PUMPKIN Seeds. Any one who has grown them know what they look like very large thick seeds. This guy even has a picture on the ebay listing showing a good picture of the seeds. The ones he sent me look like the pumpkin seeds you buy to eat no what he showed on his listing. Small and normal small in size. I saved my seeds from last years plants, but they did not germinate so I bought some from these guys on ebay. Rob's Rare and Giant Seeds say if your not satisfied let them know with in 7 days. I let them know I was not happy and asked if he wanted me to return the seeds. No reply from them. I went to Ebay and launched a complaint. Rob's Rare and Giant Seeds did not respond to me or ebay so they gave me a refund. As the other person stated "most of the other feedback I have seen is neutral to negative except on ebay which most ebayers leave immediate feedback and not feedback after growing." Lots of people complaining of no germination of the seeds! SO buyer beware..I was only out $3 but I did not get my Giant Pumpkins in the ground this year and it really makes me mad to see some one taking advantage of good people by selling pipe dreams not good seeds!
Thanks
Negative moosecop
West Bend, WI
June 15, 2012
they advertise they grow a giant strawberry seed on there tennessee farm... none of them grew.. when you look at the pictures they have a small child holding the biggest berry you ever have seen but I just bought some big driscoll berrys at the local grocery and they look about the same size.. When I did an internet search they are the only ones selling these on ebay, amazon, etsy and every possible website including theres/... most of the other feedback I have seen is neutral to negative except on ebay which most ebayers leave immediate feedback and not feedback after growing... I was so ticked I think Im gonna contact the tenn. agriculture department to do a check. When someone is the only source of a product it may be to good to be true/. only about 8 dollars down the tube but buyer beware..