The scoop on 'Japanese Maples and Evergreens'

Japanese Maples and Evergreens

7200 NW Mountlake Way
Vancouver, Washington 98665 (United States)

Phone: (360) 909-1969

Comments:

Neutral directorrod
Rockton, IL
September 13, 2014
Posted on September 13, 2014, updated September 13, 2014
Fool me once, shame on me! Don\'t be fooled, this company deserves every negative comment it\'s received! I got a very little runt Japanese maple that was shipped in a flat (2 and 3/4 inch deep) Priority mail carton. It is alive but will take many years to reach any measurable size at all, and was a very poor value for the money spent. I am experienced with Japanese maples and this was definitely not a case of unrealistic expectations.
On September 13th, 2014, directorrod changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I want to modify my initial reaction that was very negative. On further reflection, I probably went way over the top. I'd rate this transaction as neutral and my level of satisfaction as fair.
Positive Rondo212
Brookfield, CT
August 22, 2014
I found this company randomly while browsing for unusual plants. I was very impressed with their selection and pricing. I checked reviews on here and decided to order despite the negative reviews. As an experienced Horticulturist, I know what a "1-year graft" Japanese maple is. I ordered 12 trees, most of which were 1-year grafts and what arrived completely met my expectations. They were packaged well with all pots completely wrapped in plastic and staked to prevent damage to graft unions. I did order a Ginkgo biloba 'Troll' which is an extremely diminutive selection, that could have been a little larger...

The negative reviews on here are probably due to a lack of familiarity with plant production. If you want instant gratification, this is not the supplier for you. If you have patience and enjoy the reward gained from nurturing a small (6-10") plant into a mature specimen, not to mention the savings, give them a try.
Negative lvEames66
Gloucester, MA
May 8, 2014
I had ordered 2 bamboos, both are dead now. I had also ordered a Corrallinum Japanese maple, which did not have characteristic features of that specific cultivar. I did emailed the company to let them know that they sent the wrong one, 3 times... no answer. I want to mention that I am very familiar with corallinum maples, I had a beautiful specimen in a pot, and someone walked away with it. I am so sad about this... its been 3 years. I want to warn anyone considering buying fron Japanese Maples And Evergreens website. Consider other companies and be more safe about it.
Negative brentirwin3435
Anderson, IN
April 27, 2014
Posted on April 27, 2014, updated April 27, 2014
PLEASE NEVER order from this company. They are terrible! I ordered 16 japanese maples from them and 11 of them were dead within the first month and the other five aren't looking good at all and I think they may also die. They sent me trees I didn't even order and didn't send me trees that I did order. I have sent over 20 emails and tried to call repeatedly with no response. I have sent them pictures and complained wanting my trees replaced and wanting the trees that I ordered that they didn't send me. I spent $318 that I basically just threw out the window. Their grafts are horrible a couple of the trees fell apart where the grafts were. They look like they used hot glue or something. It's amazing that they get any business at all. I feel sorry for the people who have been ripped of by these amateurs. I paid $318 for a bunch of kindling for my bonfires.
On April 27th, 2014, brentirwin3435 added the following:

These positive comments must be employees because none of them are true to my experience with them. They are the total opposite.
Positive mboden
Lincoln, NE
April 20, 2014
I ordered several varieties of grafts from japanesemaplesandevergreens.com and they all arrived in beautiful condition. A few days later when one started showing signs that it might not be healthy I contacted them by email and immediately received a response. They gladly resolved my issue and sent me a replacement tree.
Positive sandersh
Kenosha, WI
February 15, 2014
I recommend this seller. I received two three-year grafted maples (semi-dwarf varieties, beni maiko and winter flame). They were 25" and 31" tall with 1/4" diameter. The shipment was well packaged, arrived quickly after the order, and the trees were in good condition and looked very healthy. I was hoping for a bit larger/thicker trees for the price, but have no complaints at all.
Positive sendylove
Keokuk, IA
November 21, 2013
I am simply thrilled with Japanese Maples and Evergrenes. I have ordered 4 dwarf maples from them, even though I wasn't quite sure how it will work out based on mixed reviews I have read after I already purchased them.
Thanks God, the maples arrived quickly and they were really well packed. It really made me happy that my experience wasn't like some other people claimed it will be, because I got maples that I wanted and ordered.
Besides the shopping and shipping part, I just have to say that people at Japanese Maples and Evergreenswere really pleasant as I contacted them regarding a new order that I had no experience with. They have helped me out, so after I ordered once again, they have sent me a book on how to Grow Japanese Maple Seeds in order to help me out to the max.
I honestly recommend them as my experience was great, these people are very pleasant and easy to work with. I plan on getting even more maples from them.
And even if it happens that there is some problem with the shipment and transportation, I am sure they will help out if the complaint if sent in time. The same thing is suggested for everyone, each and every problem can be solved through conversation, and when it is a great business like this who cares about customers, it is a piece of cake.
S.L.
Positive nitinsharma
galle
Sri Lanka
November 21, 2013
Going through online I ordered 4 grafted Japanese maples from Japanese Maples and Evergreen. What I ordered was of the semi dwarf size which is quite rare and hard to find. I liked the diverse in color and size of the plants which I got. The experience I had with this company was very cordial and the staff was very prompt and attended to my needs t choose from what I wanted. The delivery was timely and the packages reached in good condition,all neatly packed and intact. The plants were all healthy and fit for use.
I was very pleased about it and the costs which went for it too was worth the buy I believe.
Satisfied with the service , I would return for future purchases as I have in mind to catch on some bamboos.
Negative ppryal
RAPID RIVER, MI
November 11, 2013
I ordered 2 Japanese maples from these guys. They were both supposed to be 2 year grafts. One of them was OK, but a bit on the small side. the other one was a 10" high twig with the graft completely falling apart. I e-mailed them twice, they don't appear to have a phone number (I can certainly see why ). I got no response. I opened a claim on paypal but in order to get reimbursed I have to send the tree's back at my expense and HOPE to get paid for my return shipping from them. I seriously doubt that would happen. AVOID these amateurs and buy from only reputable sellers !!

Pat
Positive Propagator77
Lake Purdy, AL
November 1, 2013
Posted on November 1, 2013, updated November 1, 2013
Posted on October 25, 2013, updated November 1, 2013
I issue a strong warning to anyone who considers purchasing from JAPANESE MAPLES AND EVERGREENS. I am a retired horticulturist and greenhouse owner, with a specialization (and special interest) in rare evergreens. I considered sampling their trees. A number of the trees died, primarily at the graft sites. I must wonder now about the seller's level of expertise... clearly more of a seller than a true grower. Over two dozen contacts were attempted over a year's time... yes, that long, and never a word was heard back from the company. Not a drip. I bundled a number of the contacts over two months time before posting on Dave's. In good faith, I cordially attempted to reach them. At this point, and based on consumers' experiences as listed on Dave's website, I must agree with those who have expressed dissatisfaction. BEWARE.
On November 1st, 2013, Propagator77 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I favorably revise my comments as the seller 'eventually' contacted me with an apology, and a refund for the indicated concerns. This improved my experience and resolved my original concern. The resolution came after extreme and considerable effort. I sincerely urge the seller to not avoid communicating with customers who have concerns and attempt contact. It would appear that a number of others shared that experience. First contacts I would think are generally congenial. When ignored, a customer becomes inflamed. Props to the seller for eventually rectifying the matter. Please carry this forward with other customers, sooner. There is enough feedback out there now about our mutual experiences with your company. WE ARE WATCHING. Pleasantly surprise us.
On November 1st, 2013, Propagator77 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Negative sydneysue
Maple Valley, WA
June 23, 2013
Of the ten maples I ordered, one was dead when it arrived and one died within a few weeks. I tried numerous times to contact this company by phone as the contact email address they list on their website does not work. I have never received any response from them in spite of my pleading with them to at least return my call. I am very surprised as they claim to guarantee their products.
Negative treebird101
Bedford, IA
May 11, 2013
I just received what should have been a "Gold Rush" Dawn Redwood but instead it is a plain Dawn Redwood like the rest of the ones I have. I do have 1 "Gold Rush" Dawn Redwood growing and liked it so much that I decided to get another. I figured I would give this nursery a try because they were offering the tree through ioffer.com from "Oregon Nursery" for 29.90 with free shipping. I guess you can't trust a nursery that has to go by several aliases. The tree was nice and healthy but very disappointed in NOT getting a "GOLD RUSH" Dawn Redwood. Maybe they assumed I wouldn't figure it out.
Positive jstar53
La Cienega, NM
April 27, 2013
I've had a very good experience with Japanese Maples and Evergreens. They have a nice selection of dwarf conifers and everything I have ordered has been shipped quickly, the plants are in great condition and the prices and shipping costs are reasonable. Questions via email were answered promptly too.
Negative billhollid
Lake Ozark, MO
November 28, 2012
I ordered two Japanese maples from this company and they were lost in shipping per the USPS tracking info I received. I forwarded that info to Japanese Maples and Evergreen company via the email address given on their website, but they NEVER responded to multiple emails from me requesting that they re-ship and that I would gladly pay again for shipping costs. NO response!!! Total ripoff.
Negative shibagirly
CAMINO, CA
July 30, 2012
I came across these guys on ioffer. I've paided for five trees, but only got four of them. One of the trees I actually received died. All but one arrived in poor condition. One tree showed up looking like a hack graft that they did the night before, with only one tiny little twig glued on. The one that was in good shape I didn't even buy. They accidentally sent me a coral bark maple, which arrived folded over in two small boxes taped together. I emailed them and insisted on paying for the tree. They gladly took the money. Then the next tree I paid for, a three foot Emperor I japanese maple, never came. I paid $19. The charge went through on my Visa, I checked. I tried repeatedly to contact them, but never got a response. I asked them to either refund my money or send me the tree. No response. Nothing. I will never buy anything from them again. The grafts are sloppy. But I guess that's why their trees are so cheap. You get what you pay for.
Neutral cbellwood
Central City, KY
July 14, 2012
Posted on July 14, 2012, updated July 14, 2012
I found out that this company was Oregon Grown Nursery from Ebay stores, by the plant tags that I received on the Japanese Maples that I ordered from them. Some missing tags, stuck inside 3 priority mail boxes stuck together taped in the box with no other packing and boxes smashed in. I ordered several that looked OK. Small and damaged leaves with so- so grafting. The last order had 2 and 3 year old trees. The 2 year old arrived with the leaves totally crispy and the soil so dry it slipped out of the pot, hard as a rock. They could have least watered these before they shipped them in the scorching high 90's and 100 degree temps. across the country. I emailed the company and sent photos. I am waiting on a response to my request to replace that tree. It looked the same size in diameter to the one year old trees earlier and one in this order that I purchased from them. I wasn't totally happy with all the trees that I ordered since I've ordered from Maplestone and Acer on Ebay and felt cheated after receiving their trees in the same weeks ordered from this nursery. Their trees arrived very well packed, undamaged and all leaves alive and thriving. This nursery is hit and miss. I'd say a 50/50 chance of getting a nice looking tree that is healthy looking. I still am leary about placing another order with them since this one came fried and unwatered, with a few others without tags or not looking real good. Not the worst, but certainly not a very good impression that they made on me at all.
On July 14th, 2012, cbellwood added the following:

I made a mistake on the ages of these trees. They were 3 and 4 year old trees and one was 1 year old. Now I'm really disappointed with this order. Still waiting on reply. If nothing by the end of day on Monday, I'll contact paypal.
Positive jrweinberg
Kerhonkson, NY (Zone 5b)
May 7, 2012
Plants shipped quickly. Came nicely packaged and with a nice root system. I also thought their pricing was good.