The scoop on 'Bloomingfields Farm'

Bloomingfields Farm

9 Route 55
Gaylordsville, Connecticut 06755 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

Visit Bloomingfields Farm at:

Company Comment, posted on February 1, 1998:
Only source in America of certified organically grown daylilies. All nine bloom seasons, according to own farm records, from Extra Early to Extra Late. Always 2-3 fan divisions with substantial roots. Modest pricing. Established daylily source since 1969. Environmentally conscious growers. Nationwide and foreign shipments every Monday, mid-April to mid-November. Plant size now increased 50% to a minimum of 3-fan division (sometimes 4 or 5). Many quantity discounts offered. Unusually heavy crop allows catalog-wide price reductions. Unconditional Guarantee. Free catalog.

Comments:

Positive themikesmom
Concord, NC
November 2, 2012
Bloomingfield's Dayliliy farm is a Nice Place. They always ship large tripple fan plants. We ordered 'Autumn Minaret' and 'Challenger' from Stout 1949 from them. They are one of the few daylily vendors still carrying these heirloom historic daylily variety classics with such wonderful tall scapes. My son bought 'Dark Star' from them a couple years ago, which is another hard to find classic, and it is one of the healthiest plants both he and I grow; I think Bloomingield's plants are so healthy because they are grown in CT and are therefore incredibly cold hardy and toughened up from that heavy winter snow. Next year we would like to get one of their introductions 'Late Adigo' which is a tan lavender blend on 52 inch scapes! it looks Awesome!. We would highly reccomend Bloomingfield's to others! Sandra.
Positive themikeman
Concord, NC (Zone 7a)
October 27, 2010
I ordered some Dark Star Daylilies from here as these are one of the few daylily farms that have this particular classic and because they said their dark star is very old and organically grown and can reach 48 in heighth if given enough water and sunlight along with their dark star's good genetics, also,where as most people who carry Dark Star only ship single fans and Bloomingfields ships triple fans which is well worth the few dollars more. when i opened the box these triple fans where cut back rather short but were huge and the amounts of rootballs on these triple fans was amazing, each one of these rootball clusters most have had 25 or 26 rootballs making each fans root mass the size of a softball!! obviuosly very old and healthy.Im Very Very Happy..thanks. mike
Positive AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)
June 23, 2010
My daylily order arrived today. Very Nice Healthy Fans and well packaged. Customer service was Outstanding!!!! Will absolutely do business with them again! They did not send a gift fan. I honestly don't understand why people think that is so wrong. When I go to the store to buy a gallon of milk the store doesn't "gift" me with some free eggs. Nice to get a freebie but certainly not expected.
Positive LostMeadow
(Zone 4b)
June 9, 2008
My daylilies arrived when promised -they are healthy and growing nicely. The friendly lady who took my phone order was very helpful. They have a good selection of heirloom daylilies- I would order from these folks again.
Positive OFionnachta
Titusville, NJ
February 11, 2008
I ordered 3 heirloom varieties from this company over the phone last week. They will not arrive till spring, of course, when I will report on their condition, but I wanted to comment on the care taken over the phone to ascertain best time to plant, customer's scheduling needs, etc. The lady who runs this aspect of the family business is just wonderful as far as phone business is concerned.

The poster who was unhappy because s/he called after hours and the owner "sighed" might have hit them at a bad moment! They had a daughter's wedding on the grounds during blooming season, and they also had septic difficulties at the same time (when else does the septic act up except when you are about to host a wedding?) An imminent wedding onsite even without septic troubles is a good enough reason to me to not want to take orders after hours during that period!

I learned all this because I was telling her about our own septic situation & its effect on our garden plans, and that is how their story came up.

They have a lot of heirloom varieties with that old fashioned daylily look -- not the huge blotchy things that look like someone tried to make orchids out of them. I also appreciate the blooming times chart on the website mentioned by another poster!
Positive vvesper
Maryville, TN
January 3, 2008
While they don't send freebies like some places do, the daylilies I ordered from them last summer were healthy and good sized. They all showed new growth very quickly after planting. Prices are reasonable and shipping was prompt. In addition, I really like the graphic representation on their web site of when the different plants bloom, so that you can fill gaps and get the longest blooming cultivars, if that's what you're looking for (like I was this time).
Positive se_eds
Millersburg, PA (Zone 6b)
May 3, 2006
I learned about this site from a fellow DG'r. They carry the historic plants I was looking for. They emailed me when the order was shipped. It arrived in very nice condition two days later. The plants were very well rooted, had extra fans and looked like they were ready to grow. I would certainly recommend this grower.
Neutral kattrox
Floyds Knobs, IN (Zone 6b)
May 3, 2006
Not an overall pleasant experience. There should be a rating choice between neutral and negative. I called on a Friday maybe around 5:45 to place an order. The owner said "Its after 5:00" I told her that I could call back. She said "No, we are a home business" and sighed as she asked me what I wanted. I felt terrible for disturbing her I apologized a few times. On her website it should read no orders after 4:00 EST or whatever time she wanted to cease business for the day. The nice thing is that I did receive a confirmation in the mail about a month prior to receiving my order. I just received my order today, although well washed, packed and labeled there was NO BONUS. That was the first time I have ordered daylilies and have not received extra fans or a bonus. I ordered because of the previous ratings on watchdog and others seemed satisfied with their purchases so I took a chance, a disappointing one.
Positive sadie_mae
Central, KY (Zone 6b)
September 16, 2004
Very nice daylilies, easy ordering and quick turn around. Would use them again.
Positive dlmorrow
Springfield, MA
April 29, 2004
My first time ordering from Bloomingfields was this Spring. I highly recommend them not only for their generous plants but good customer service.

Positive kplants
Acushnet, MA
October 11, 2003
Ordered for the first time this fall and I was very pleased at the personal attention given to my small order. The plants were in great shape, have big root systems and are growing well. I felt the instruction sheet was helpful: didn't know I'd need to mulch this winter! Plants arrived on the day I expected. Great service!
Positive AuntB52
October 9, 2003
Received my order in less than two weeks from the time I ordered it. I received an email notifying me of the day it had been sent, and I received it two days after the email.
Everything was just as I ordered it, and the divisions are all large and healthy.
Positive flowrgrl
August 12, 2003
I actually purchased several daylilies from this company at their booth at stomville fleamarket and all the plants are doing wonderful. I really appreciate the fact that they are organic growers and plan on visiting their farm soon.
Positive barbaradee
January 18, 2003
Great selection. Big, healthy divisions. Fast, helpful service.
Positive carlapeevey
January 1, 2001
I had the opportunity of visiting this farm in July of this year. The daylilies were growing (and blooming) in well-marked rows. Visitors select varieties on an order form, and then the orders are filled on "digging day" and shipped by priority mail. I picked out 4 varieties, and the plants were shipped exactly when promised, along with growing recommendations. The plants arrived with loads of roots, and all of them put out new leaves within a short period of time. The people are great, and they have a web site with good photos for those not able to visit the farm in person. Any future day lily additions to my flowerbed will be ordered from them.
Neutral elizabethhan
July 1, 1997
This nursery is now called Lee Bristol Bloomingfields Farm. They are without their computer right now but will be sending some info to you about themselves when they get it back. They would appreciate an update being posted. P.S. They gave me a $3 credit for sending this off to you.