The scoop on 'Far Reaches Farm'

Far Reaches Farm

1818 Hastings Avenue
Port Townsend, Washington 98368 (United States)

Positive rdtjr05
Franklin, TN
October 10, 2015
Very happy with the five species peonies I just received. Several of these are quite rare and hard to find. All were sized as described. Two were absolutely massive. Will definitely look to order from them again in the future.
Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
May 2, 2015
Nice selection of plants. Received healthy plants and would order from them again.
Positive Rondo212
Brookfield, CT
April 17, 2015
I received my order from Far Reaches yesterday. I was very impressed by the careful preparation and wrapping of the plants. It was like opening a bunch of presents I bought for myself. Of course I had forgotten what I ordered, so each was a surprise. The first treat was a Trillium. It was large, multi-stemmed and flowering. I was impressed with every plant I received. They were large and of great quality, with excellent labeling.

I will definitely be ordering again.
Positive Greenpeter6
Astoria, NY
March 21, 2015
Yesterday, the first day of spring, three inches of snow fell in NYC. Today I was feeling unwell, and at two in the afternoon FedEx delivered a box from Far Reaches Farm. It contained three snowdrops--one had flowered already, one with no buds showing, and the third with full fat buds. I am so pleased with these plants--they way they were grown, they way they were packed and shipped.
Far Reaches Farm deserves a higher ranking than positive, they are outstanding in every way from the ease at which an order is placed to the box I am holding in my hand. Last year, they had Lapageria vines that sold out before I had a chance to order mine. I hope they will be available again this year. My first order was such a wonderful experience that I cannot wait to order again (Lapageria, hint.) I also made a want list of some of their plants. This list will certainly dwindle as summer approaches. Thank you for growing and selling such wonderful plants. Kudos to all!

Positive nm56
Olympia, WA (Zone 7b)
March 16, 2015
Far Reaches Farm - OMGosh where to start. I guess it's best to confess first - Hello my name is Nancy and I'm a plantaholic. That being said, this is one of my favorite places to shop both in person and online. I'm fortunate to live only a few hours away and have been on "field trips" with my Master Gardener friends. Sue, Kelly (definitely male, and of the Hawaiian shirt and kilt wearing ilk) and the other personnel have made us feel so welcome - greeting us in person, lots of plant advice, and even special tours of the growing houses and gardens! You can't help drooling over the new things they have in the wings and walking through the gardens with your mouth hanging open - taking enough time only to close it and stutter out "What's the name of that plant, and do you have any in stock?".

In case you didn't know, they have actually taken trips to hunt for plants in exotic places, and bring back many marvelous species. They climb through mountains in remote areas to find things that are more unusual and that will grow in more than tropical locales. And if you're lucky enough to be able to attend a workshop or lecture with them, you usually get to hear about these trips, injected with their humorous style also found on the plant descriptions. There's nothing not to love about this couple of plant nerds.

I echo the caution of several other reviewers - it's easy to get carried away and believe that some of the plants will grow for you that you just shouldn't take home. But isn't that just part of gardening for all of us?
Positive FirstNations
Sumas, WA (Zone 8a)
December 23, 2014
Excellent plants, and excellent service! Their Pharoah-quality wrap job ensured that my Lingholms arrived completely undamaged, and I found my poppies in excellent health and well-grown to boot. I had a last minute kerfuffle and had to change the shipping date on short notice; no problem whatsoever! I highly recommend Far Reaches.
Positive matthewhg
Charlotte Hall, MD
November 2, 2014
I ordered late in the season, mainly to have the plants overwinter and enjoy them in 2015. I was very pleased when my order arrived quickly, and with super plants! I now have Podophyllum delavayi, a plant that is terminally sold out elsewhere. Looking forward to 2015!
Positive syringa12
Millstone Township, NJ (Zone 6b)
September 24, 2014
I received my second order from Far Reaches Farm on Monday- it was shipped the previous Monday as we had agreed on, 7 days from WA to NJ. This is good, as 2-3 day shipping is quite a bit more expensive. The plants (or should I say treasures) were in great shape, with some even labelled "Going Dormant", a good idea, as nothing showing this time of year may scare some people. Packing is great- it took at least an hour to unwrap everything- for a gardener it's better than Christmas!
Their labelling of the plants is excellent- in most cases the description (for those who haven't been to their website the descriptions are masterpieces of garden literature in the Dan Hinkley school of writing) is on the label, along with site requirements. This is most important when you are outside trying to figure out where to put these gems and the computer is inside.
I would highly recommend Far Reaches, just wish I lived closer as they only ship smaller plants. But there's plenty of selection in the smaller plants, many of which you won't find anywhere else.
Positive islandteacher
Coupeville, WA
August 4, 2014
I am fortunate to live just a ferry ride away from this nursery. Their selection of plants is one of the most unusual I've ever seen, AND the plants are all in top shape. I've bought from them at the nursery, and when I can't make it over, I've had them shipped. In both cases, the plants were not root bound, and when they were planted, they flourished. Great selection of 'deer resistant' plants, and spectacular shade plants. Truly one of the most interesting and unique places around. Highly rated!
Positive ckb66404
Memphis, TN
May 24, 2014
I received a gift certificate for Far Reaches Farm from my family and spent several weeks window shopping on their extensive, well-written website. Once I was ready to place my order, there was some confusion about how to apply the gift certificate online, however, after a couple of very helpful email exchanges with Tulip my order was placed. Since I live in TN the recommended shipping method was 2-day, but I opted for the longer ground delivery due to the cost. My shipment arrived in 4 days and all plants were in excellent condition and HUGE - and as a previous post mentioned, a bonus plant! I'm very pleased with the service and plants and would definitely order from them in the future!
Positive iykim
Hillsborough, CA (Zone 10a)
April 21, 2014
I was looking for dark-flowered dieramas and lapagerias, and Far Reaches Farm popped up in my Google search. Since I do not buy any plants from an online nursery that I had not done business with in the past without reviewing others' comments on DG, I went through the feedback for Far Reaches Farm. They were overwhelmingly positive. So I felt good about ordering from them. I also added a tree dahlia (Dahlia imperialis 'California Angel') to the order. The shipping charges were reasonable, they came well-packaged and quickly, and the plants were in fantastic shape. I have to agree with the other reviewers. They are an A+ nursery to order from. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive Floralkingdom
Niceville, FL (Zone 8b)
January 4, 2014
Posted on July 22, 2012, updated January 4, 2014
Far Reaches Farm is a great nursery, wonderful people. I placed my first order with them at the beginning of the year, and I just received my second order from them a few days ago. They emailed me to let me know the status of my order, and when it was being delivered. I placed a large order, as a thank you they sent me several bonus plants. They even emailed me afterwards to make sure all the plants had arrived in good condition. They have a great selection of hard to find, rare plants, exotic and native. I had a great experience buying from this company!
On January 4th, 2014, Floralkingdom added the following:

I have placed several more orders from Far reaches Farm over the last year and a half. I continue to be impressed. Great people, wonderful nursery and plants, highly recommended.
Positive hocklea
Seattle, WA
December 9, 2013
I have not only ordered a number of times with this company but have also shopped on site at their location. Great service. Wonderful plants. I have had great luck with all the plants I have bought from them. I will even confess to buying more plants than I should have. Lots of great and different plants.
Positive plant_collector
Oak Ridge, TN
October 18, 2013
Have ordered from Far Reaches several times and have always been very pleased. These folks have many rare and unusual plants not found elsewhere similar to those stocked by Heronswood Nursery pre 2006. Plants are reasonably priced for their size and well packed. Shipping was on date promised and they do answer emails. A gift plant is also included with each order. I always look forward to seeing what new plants they will list on their website - some I have never seen for sale anywhere else.
Positive vorlonken
Andover, CT
May 29, 2013
Posted on May 30, 2013, updated May 30, 2013
Far Reaches Farm has a dazzling array of plants that you don't often find in the trade - or even never find! Well, never except for here or this sentiment doesn't make any sense! The owners are friendly and helpful and have expert knowledge of their plants. The web site offers to send you notices when out-of-stock items are back in stock and the feature seems to work because I was notified about an item. They also have a wish list feature for registered users of the site. I wish every nursery had that feature! I know a few that do and I make heavy use of it.

The web site also allows viewing their inventory several different ways, such as alphabetical, by common name, by Latin name, new plants, by hardiness, etc. And you can control the number of items that display on each page which is great for anyone still coping with a slow internet connection.

I have one suggestion for the web site. Display the hardiness zone and maybe the light requirements with the summarized description.

Their prices are very reasonable for a nursery that specializes in the uncommon. What's a better deal, after all, a Polygonatum that you can't find anywhere else for $16 or $12.95 for a 72-cell size Echinacea from a major retail mail-order house? And Far Reaches offers 9 different kinds of Polygonatum! And zero Echinacea...

I chose the standard shipping which was FedEx ground. The travel time from WA to CT was too long for an impatient person such as me. Far Reaches recommends the upgraded, faster shipping but the cost is non-trivial. I have to ponder if they could offer Priority Mail for the same price as FedEx ground and reduce the in-transit time to 2-3 days. I'm just pondering, mind you...

In short - well no, it's too late for that... In closing I will absolutely be ordering from Far Reaches again. They are likely to become one of the top 3 places I go when I'm searching for an unusual perennial. And there are about 40 items on my wish list, so far.

P.S. I forgot one minor disappointment. Far Reaches is lucky to be located in the nearly Mediterranean climate of Washington. As such their web site taunts me mercilessly with super cool plants that I just can't grow here in my wet winter on the zone 5/6 border. To attenuate this problem I have a suggestion. Add to the web site a checkbox labeled "I'm from CT and I have a sickness. I want to buy plants that won't live through the generally miserable winter and cold, wet spring." Use a small font and I think it's doable. Checking that box will hide all of the cool plants that would meet their maker over the winter. That way I wouldn't even be tempted to say, "Hey, hardy to zone 8. I can grow that!"
On May 29th, 2013, vorlonken added the following:

P.P.S. Owner Kelly knows about Ferengis. That's one cool chick.
Positive fernfarmer
Poulsbo, WA
May 29, 2013
Far Reaches has a marvelous collection of plants for all conditions, but I particularly like their shade plants. I am lucky enough to live nearby, so I get to shop in person, rather than on-line, but I have never seen any plant there that wasn't in tip-top condition. I have been buying from them for five years and have had 100% success with the plants I've purchased from them. If you are anywhere near Seattle, they are worth a special trip to see their full selection and their amazing shade display garden. An added plus, Kelly and Sue are very, very knowledgeable and fun to talk with too.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
May 28, 2013
Posted on April 27, 2012, updated May 28, 2013
FABULOUS nursery! While browsing their online catalogue, I found quite a few temptations that I have not seen available anywhere else. I ordered a boxful of plants and every single one was large, well packed, and healthy. They sent me the largest potted Anemonella I have ever seen, at least 3-4x larger than more expensive competitors.

I will be keeping a close eye on their plant list for any goodies that are added or those I might have overlooked. I will definitely be a repeat customer in the future!
On May 28th, 2013, Ispahan added the following:

A truly amazing company. I have placed several orders from Far Reaches this spring and each shipment has been incredible. I have never seen such well grown, lusty plants at such reasonable prices. The selection is unparalleled and they will occasionally add treasures (like Adonis amurensis or Hepatica 'Ellison Spence') that will quickly sell out if you do not check the website frequently.

Along with the equally amazing Edelweiss Perennials, Far Reaches Farm is now my main source of garden material that is new and cutting edge, or simply delightfully old-fashioned (but sadly overlooked and underused by the instant gratification crowd).
Positive uptowngardener
Minneapolis, MN
March 6, 2013
I just received my first order from Far Reaches Farm. I live most of the year in Minnesota and have been working on a second garden in Washington State. Not only was the FRF website a joy to explore, the people at the company were kind enough to consult with me regarding plants for my new garden zone. Everyone I spoke to was unfailingly helpful and courteous. Once placed (and timed to arrive in WA the same time I could be there!), my order arrived a day earlier than I had any right to expect (a huge bonus since time was of the essence) and was packaged perfectly in large root-friendly containers. Every plant looked fresh, bursting with health, and ready to go in the ground. Not a single stem or leaf was damaged or deformed by shipping. I highly recommend Far Reaches Farm and will order from them again soon!
Positive enith
Cottage Lake, WA (Zone 7b)
January 22, 2013
I have just received my first order from Far Reaches Farm and I am simply stunned! I got six potted bulbs of rarer types of Galanthus (Blewbury Tart and John Grey) and the latter is in bloom with the biggest blooms I have ever seen on Galanthus! Such a treat in these gloomy days here in Pacific Northwest. Plants were shipped yesterday (MLK Day) and arrived today very well packed and in excellent condition. I also got a freebie bare root Polygonatum. I strongly recommend Far Reaches Farm and will definitely purchase again!
Positive kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
March 6, 2012
I recently placed an order with this nursery, and I was so pleased that I added them to this data base. They have a wide variety of unusual perennials (I found them when I googled sources for Algerian iris) the website is easy to use and informative, and the package arrived in great shape. The plants were in perfect shape and were mulched with crushed hazelnut shells. They even threw in a bonus primula. I would definitely recommend giving Far Reaches a try.