The scoop on 'Grimm's Gardens'

Grimm's Gardens

Grimm's Gardens has 100 products listed in PlantScout.

2991 Goldfinch Rd
Hiawatha, Kansas 66434 (United States)

Phone: 785-459-2586
Fax: 785-459-2586

Comments:

Negative Doublekranch
Fairmount, NY
March 11, 2017
My online order for $79 each "trees" turned out to be skinny 16 inch seedlings in large grow bags. Also, they are grafted at about 10 inches above ground level and, as such, are not suitable for use as a bonsai. I had been hoping for "own root" trees grown from seed. I learned my lesson. From now on I will only purchase trees from my local nursery.
Company representative comment on March 13, 2017:
On Mar 13, 2017 11:53 AM, Grimm\'s Gardens responded with:

We have no way to determine who this customer is or what trees were purchased in order to rectify this issue. Would appreciate if Doublekranch would contact us. If the purchase was for one of several rare Japanese maples we carry, they can extremely slow growing and quite small at 3-4 yrs of age, which is the age of ours. We didn't have anyone contact us in regard to whether our trees were grafted or seed grown; if we had we would have let them know they were not seed grown trees. We are always willing to answer any and all questions. We prefer a happy customer every time rather than doing anything it takes to make a sale. We value our reputation.

Negative whaas11
Richfield, WI
November 23, 2016
This review is specific to Grimm's Gardens mail order business for deciduous trees. My first order for (2) $100 trees was ok. One had some minor pruning issues and the other had two co-dominant stems. Figure I give them another shot and placed another order for $500 worth of trees.

Every single tree had issues. One of the trees was an 1-1/4" caliper tree that was severely root bound in a 7 gallon pot, then had several feet of 1/2" caliper topped so it could ship. Next we have an oak with severe dieback, crown thinning, co-domominat stems and chlorosis. The rest either had large encircling roots from being overgrown in the pot or serious co-doms low on the trees. I was told all the issues where standard industry practice and that the co-doms are left to increase caliper (this is commonly down for laterally branching not co-dominants). In addition the chlorosis was called out as fall color. They finally agreed to replace the worst plant. Of course they shipped it 1.5 weeks later than they said they would and it arrived late November in zone 5a when it was 20 degrees. To cap it off the tree had a canker. I'm very disappointed that there is a nursery out there that actually ships product like this and thinks its ok.
Company representative comment on December 6, 2016:
On Dec 6, 2016 11:36 AM, Grimm\'s Gardens responded with:

This was our response to Mr. Haas in explanation of some of the concerns he had. "All our trees are entering winter dormancy and are showing brown/yellow leaves and leaf drop. This is normal for this time of year. They should all leaf out beautifully for you next spring. Also, on the comments on pruning, or the lack thereof; we do not heavily prune our young trees as we are wanting them to develop the largest caliper possible in the nursery. After planting, you can certainly prune them but be advised that it will slow down the developing caliper progress if you do so. We usually advise our customers to be patient and not “limb up” the trees until they become a problem when mowing or caring for your landscape. At that time, the trees can be pruned as needed. As far as the Osage Orange being pruned; we did have to shorten it to meet FedEx shipping limits. To not prune it to size would require us to charge an additional $50 oversize package charge. The tree was trimmed and a new leader started for you. The is common and acceptable industry practice and the tree should do fine. "
Grimm's Gardens does it's utmost to make sure our customers are satisfied. We have two ISA Certified Arborists on staff who are experts in the industry on trees and accepted industry practices. We grow superior trees using only Roottrapper bags to ensure our customers never have to contend with girdled roots. These bags air prune the roots as they grow, never allowing them to circle the tree and girdle the tree. We did everything we could to satisfy Mr. Haas, and in spite of his perceived issue with our products, would welcome him back as a customer again.

Positive rivermare
Lincoln, CA
May 2, 2014
Awesome, awesome sized tree that I got and multiple headed-hosta compared to other nurseries I've ordered from. The tree was over 6' tall but it arrived intact and healthy. Love the free shipping for orders above a certain value. I am watching this site for new plants. Definitely high quality. It's a pity they don't have extensive list, but what they do have is worth the money.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]