The scoop on 'John Rice's Thoroughbred Daylilies'

John Rice's Thoroughbred Daylilies

6615 Briar Hill Road
Paris, Kentucky 40361 (United States)

Phone: 859-435-0000

Visit John Rice's Thoroughbred Daylilies at:

Comments:

Positive Stratus
Ammon, ID
August 30, 2013
I have ordered plants from Annette for 3 years now and they have done extremely well in my zone 4 garden. She sends huge healthy divisions and is an absolute pleasure to deal with. I cannot say enough great things about Annette's intros and her customer service. Top notch.
Positive ibewgirl
Wilmington, DE
April 25, 2012
Posted on September 15, 2011, updated April 25, 2012
Order from website received contained huge fans, very generous bonus fans and a personal note. Annette Rice was very helpful in helping me choose.
On April 25th, 2012, ibewgirl added the following:

2012 order arrived today with bloom size fans with healthy
roots. John and Annette are wonderful to do business with.
Positive TuddyE
Georgetown, KY (Zone 6a)
July 28, 2011
Posted on May 10, 2006, updated July 28, 2011
What a wonderful experience a visit here can be. We got huge plants, potted with 3-4 fans instead of the two promised. They gave us an expensive bonus, it too was really big. The selection was good, and everything healthy.
The best part though is the people! I can't say enough about John and Annette Rice. They are knowledgeable about the plants sharing all kinds of information. Better yet, they are truely wonderful human beings. They took time out of their busy schedule to chat with us for over 2 hours! I don't know of any other business person who would take that much of their day to make someone feel at home, and make sure they had any information they needed to make their growing experience a success. Wonderful people, wonderful plants, beautiful place.
WE'LL BE BACK!!
On July 28th, 2011, TuddyE added the following:

I can't say enough good things about the Rice's. Really top notch plants, generous divisions and WONDERFUL customer service. You definitely can't go wrong ordering from them. They make spending my money such a pleasure, I wish I could buy more.
Beautiful people, beautiful plants and good prices--WHAT A GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!
Positive StaticCling
Meadville, PA
July 5, 2010
Posted on June 19, 2010, updated July 5, 2010
The gardens at Thoroughbred are exemplary, and the daylilies I purchased were beautifully grown.
On July 5th, 2010, StaticCling added the following:

This month's visit was absolutely stellar! The gardens have a new layout that is easy to navigate, clearly labeled, and lovely to behold. Annette especially was wonderful to deal with. Our club received GIANT clumps of top notch cultivars and very, very generous bonus plants. Highly recommended!
Positive Cynthia59P
Horse Cave, KY
May 17, 2010
I sure wish I could have a big ole plus sign to add to my Positive rating. Wow! All of the DF plants I ordered came as TF (triple fan), QF (Quad), or PF (Penta). I was amazed, especially since these were wonderfully huge and healthy fans. Now if this wasn't enough...the bonus was exceedingly greater than what most would even think about offering. Add to all of this the quick shipment, great packaging, and wonderful correspondence I received from Annette and you have a wonderful buying experience.
Don't even hesitate to order from the Rice's. They'll do you right!
Positive Clayhillgardens
Montpelier, VA
April 16, 2009
I wish I could score them higher than positive because these folks deserve it! I received my purchase from the Riceís garden recently and what a wonderful treat. I got way more than I had expected and a generous bonus. I just canít believe this transaction. When I called down there Annette answered the phone, she responded to my emails, and let me know my plants were shipped. It was all perfect. This is the way to run a business!
Positive ctdaylily
Wallingford, CT
April 16, 2009
Wonderful people to deal with,generous to a fault! John and Annette are among the nicest people I know in the daylily community and consistently send large divisions with bonus plants to boot. They breed for hardy vigorous plants.I will always be a customer!
Positive eickenho
Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a)
March 14, 2009
I purchased two 2009 intro's from Thoroughbred Daylilies. The daylilies that Annette sent were large and healthy, and the bonus was very generous. Great and friendly communications.
Positive lily04
Harrogate, TN
July 21, 2008
My mom and I drove up to the Rice's this past month and what a treat it was! Annette and John were so nice and gracious! They took the time to talk with us and walk through the greenhouse and field with us. What healthy, HUGE plants they have! Mom and I came home with a smiles from ear to ear, beautiful plants, and a great bonus. Most importantly with a good time for a memory!
Positive KYGardenGirl
Georgetown, KY
June 30, 2008
We have bought daylilies from John & Annette for almost 15 years. They always have the healthiest, true-to-name plants. They are very generous, and give great bonuses. They are our favorite daylily source.

Elizabeth
Positive tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson Twp), OH (Zone 6a)
July 10, 2006
We took a delightful summer drive south along Highway 27 last Saturday to 'Thoroughbred Daylilies' (in Kentucky horse country).

It was peak bloom season, but we called ahead to let them know we were hoping to visit. And what a lovely time it was. We felt lucky to have a green house tour of Annette and John Rice's hybrid seedlings and introductions and a good walk around the gardens complete with Annette's commentary on what was new and which daylily would do well in our situations.

We left with six nice gallon sized pots of daylilies introduced by the Rices in past years ('Rice classics', not the latest introductions which were a bit dear for us) and I felt we purchased fine, fat, plants for the $$.

Annette mentioned that they didn't publish a color catalog this year because they were so busy selling even without one, but I promise you, the new introductions we saw were lovely and elegant and you won't be disappointed.

Positive Badseed
Hillsboro, OH (Zone 6a)
January 6, 2006
I visited Thoroughbred Daylilies with friends in July and was just reflecting on the visit. I realized I had not posted how thrilled I am with my purchases. I bought two really nice hems and recieved a lovely bonus plant to boot! John and Annette are delightful down to earth people and I thoroughly enjoyed the visit!
Positive mystic
Ewing, KY (Zone 6a)
July 16, 2005
I visited them today. It was a wonderful experience. The Rice's are really nice people and took time to share so much of their knowledge with us. I came home with some great looking plants, nice healthy fans. They have a wonderful selection. I would highly recommend them.
Positive Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH (Zone 6b)
April 28, 2004
Nice healthy fans, and a VERY generous bonus. Very nice people to deal with.
Positive IndaShade
Kylertown, PA (Zone 5b)
May 16, 2003
VERY nice plants, packing was excellent, and very generous with bonuses. I will be ordering again from the Rices.
Positive dirtyharry
Aurora, CO (Zone 5a)
January 12, 2002
Nice plants and good service.
Positive FL_Gator
Dunnellon, FL (Zone 8b)
January 12, 2002
The selection is newer, thus more expensive varieties, but the selection is very good, and the service is excellent. This is a great place to find Salter introductions at better prices.

FL_Gator