The scoop on 'Gleckler Seedsmen'

Gleckler Seedsmen

State Route 120
Lyons, Ohio 43533 (United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Editor's Comment:
Closed Per a note from a reader, this vendor has closed.

Comments:

Positive LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT (Zone 4b)
March 16, 2012
Posted on January 28, 2011, updated March 16, 2012
Great company. They have offered so many new varieties this year. Fast, inexpensive shipping. Online catalog is easy to use. This is a company who is really trying to please their customers. I will continue to order from them.
On March 16th, 2012, LooneyLinda added the following:

In my opinion you Gleckler's is the best for value, considering the generous number of seeds per package. I also appreciate their desire to offer as many new heirlooms as possible each year.

Great company.
Positive Sherilou
Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b)
January 17, 2012
Posted on August 4, 2011, updated January 17, 2012
1. Gleckler Seedsmen have great prices on some really exciting varieties!

2. The seeds are clean and VERY healthy-looking.

3. I also received a VERY GENEROUS amount of seed in each packet.

4. Postage is FREE when you buy 5 packets or more!

5. My seeds were shipped super-fast!

I'll purchase from them again, for sure!!!
On January 17th, 2012, Sherilou added the following:

6. The very BEST germination rate of any seed company I've ordered from.
Positive Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA (Zone 8b)
January 14, 2012
This was my first time ordering from Gleckler after hearing of them on DG. I am very impressed with the speed of shipping, the generous amount of seed in each packet, and the outstanding service. I look forward to ordering more from them in the future.
Positive stormygace
kure beach, NC (Zone 7b)
October 12, 2011
Outstanding selection! Some very rare and vigorous/delicious varieties of tomatoes (try the JD's Special C-Tex, the Green Doctors Frosted & the KBX for starters - just the BEST!) not easily acquired. Seed has uniformly produced fast sprouting vigorous seedlings for me. Fast delivery & generous with gifts to try. I am so pleased to watch them expand their wonderful selections & will purchase seed annually from them.
Positive petronius_ii
Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a)
April 2, 2011
I haven't ordered from Gleckler's in over 15 years-- from back in the days when George Gleckler, the patriarch, was alive-- but I'm sure I'll be ordering from them again sooner or later, now that they're back in business.

In 1990, I sent out postcards to 15 or 20 different seed companies, asking for their free catalogs. The first catalog to get to me was Gleckler's, so that became the company to receive my first-ever mail order for garden seed. I couldn't have been happier with the seeds, and the prompt, courteous service.

Even before Seed Savers Exchange came about, George Gleckler was vigorously doing his part to put heirloom tomatoes on the map. Gleckler's was personally responsible for popularizing not only their "flagship variety," the Peron Sprayless, in America, but also the Giant Belgium, Sausage, German Head, and several others that are treasured by heirloom fanciers. He even carried Brandywine for one year only, and his strain of Brandywine did well for me in Albuquerque, while other locals may say that their strains of Brandywine died off from disease.

I'm so happy the family is carrying on in his tradition. This company is an American classic. The only "criticism" I might have is, other than tomatoes and a few classic watermelons, they don't have any other species. I'd love to see them take on open-pollinated corn. Even more than that, I'd love to see Gleckler's preserve and develop a whole lot of those classic Appalachian pole beans.

Positive backus
Harriman, TN
January 19, 2011
I'm always interested in supporting family businesses so I gave Gleckler's a try. I'm very glad I did. I received my order quickly and was given generous amounts. I also give them an A+ for communication since my question regarding a particular variety was answered honestly and in short order. I reccomend them most highly.
Positive tobydog60
Omro, WI (Zone 4b)
March 3, 2010
I ordered tomato seeds from Gleckler Seedsman this year and couldn't be more pleased with the speed at which my ordered was shipped. The seeds arrived within a week from ordering.

They also included a free packet of "Peron" with my order -- a nice plus. I definitely will be ordering from them again! Very happy customer here.
Positive liannenc
Concord, NC (Zone 7b)
February 26, 2010
Ordered 5 packets of tomato seeds last week, and received an email within 24 hours telling me my order had been packed and shipped. It arrived today, just in time for me to start them in sync with the moon phase. Nice selection of some interesting varieties, good communication and I like knowing that I'm patronizing a small, family-owned company that appreciates my business. I would definitely recommend Gleckler to my friends and family.
Positive Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA (Zone 7b)
April 6, 2009
Saw their classified ad here at DG and it said something about going back into business because they couldn't stay out of the garden, so that was appealing. I ordered a few tomato seed varieties from their obviously new website....... and did not receive them for the longest time, so emailed.

The response was rapid and very concerned to let me know they are proud of their next day shipping -- they sent my order again plus two extra seed packets and it arrived in about three days.

Then, of course, the original order arrived. It was clearly a post office error as the stamp had not been canceled. I offered to send the original order back but they said just keep it..... and to let them know how the seeds do.

I am pleased and expect I will keep an eye on what varieties they add as they continue, and will order from them again.

It was interesting too to notice right after I ordered, a comment about their being back in business posted in the Tomatoes forum here at DG, by some experienced tomato folks who seemed to respect the original business and were pleased to see its resumption.

I like supporting businesses who are starting and who take pains to offer good service as Glecker Seedmen did.
Positive preacherlee
October 23, 2003
It's been several years, but the seeds I got were the best I ever got anywhere. Big, healthy tomato seeds, not the kind a machine sorts; the kind mother nature makes. Excellent pumpkins from their seeds. I hope you're still out there, Mr. Gleckler.
Neutral Imhotep
Meridian, MS
March 26, 2003
Don't think they are in business, correct me if I am wrong.

Ordered in the past, average inventory, average delivery &
prices. Nothing out of the ordinary. An average company
period.

I have no rating.
Positive dianthusman
Pecos, NM (Zone 5b)
December 3, 2002
I ordered from this company when I was living in South Florida, as they offered seed of the 'Peron Sprayless' tomato, which turned out to be everything they said it was going to be: totally disease-free, pest-resistant, humidity resistant, and very tasty fruits. Unusual edibles. I'm glad to see they're still in business.