The scoop on 'Bridgewood Gardens'

Bridgewood Gardens

PO Box 391
Strasburg, Virginia 22657 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Crownsville Nursery

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive JetGal
Sugar Grove, IL
May 9, 2013
Don't know how many orders I placed with Bridgewood Gardens last year ... at least 3 or 4, + 2 orders so far for 2013, which I recently received, which puts me at a grand total of at least 60 different hosta varieties I've ordered from them.

All plants are carefully packed & each hosta, once again, arrived in perfect condition with healthy root systems. I have yet to be disappointed with any hosta I've bought from them.

Thanks Chick for sending beautiful & healthy hostas !!!
Positive pamichen
Huntington Woods, MI
October 23, 2012
Love this nursery (and Chick's occasional blog/newsletter offerings). I no longer even look anywhere else for hostas. I have many that I got from them over the years-all growing strongly and looking great. I especially like the plant descriptions. I tried a few gold hostas due to their recommendations and now these are some of my favorites. All of their plants have been great-I've never received any plant from them that was less than top quality. Even their late autumn "ugly plant " sale offerings have had robust root systems and grew just great in my garden. Their packing is the best I've ever seen. Obvious care taken with shipping living plants. Top-notch nursery.
Positive gramtotwo
Smyrna, TN
May 24, 2012
I just received my recently placed order and the plants are BEAUTIFUL!. They are larger than the average mailorder plant, and in excellent condition due to the awesome packing job. Bridgewood Gardens, YOU ROCK! I will definitely order from you again.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
April 27, 2012
I absolutely loved my visit to the website. I did read about the move to Va. and Plantation Lily and fell in love.
These Hosta were very big, packed well, instruction given. Also I did get an email letting me know they had shipped the Hosta which is very important to me, and the Hosta arrived when expected. Good job Bridgewood. :)

(pictures on Hosta forum, 'Mail Orders, good or bad...')
Positive tobydog60
Omro, WI (Zone 4b)
August 17, 2011
I ordered from Bridgewood Gardens for the first time - and I'm very pleased with both the quality of the hostas I received and the quick shipping. Lovely!
Positive clairew
Chestnut Hill, MA
June 18, 2011
Ordered twice this season, most recently "The Pot Luck Collection" (15 hostas for $75) and have also bought from their bargain bin and their "half-pint" offerings. Everything is beautifully packed (like Crownsville Nursery, which is somehow related) and the plants are always nice sized (half-pints are smaller) and great quality. Orders ship quickly; I will continue to order from them.
Positive linette2001
Gainesville, FL (Zone 8b)
May 21, 2011
I really wanted hostas despite living in Florida so I ordered from Chick last summer. The hostas were very well-packed with excellent root systems and multiple eyes. This spring, they have all come back with 4 of my plants flowering. Highly recommend.
Positive chris_e
Germantown, MD
September 11, 2010
When I started my Hosts Gardens 4 years ago, Bridgewood was the first place I looked on the internet and I ordered one of their recommended packages and was very happy. I didn't realize it at the time, but Chick was spoiling me for other hosta growers. Bridgewood's plants always come potted, carefully wrapped and perfect! Not a tiny eye wrapped in a paper towel! I would say that at least half of the hosta in my gardens comes from them. When I want a specefic plant, I go to their website first and only go elsewhere if they don't grow it.
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
August 13, 2010
Fantastic. I ordered 5 Hostas : Birchwood Parkys Gold, Blue Angel, Fortunei Aureomarginata, Gold Standard and Patriot. They arrived QUICKLY in great condition, ready to plant. The sale that they are running now is great, too. I will be coming back for more. Highly recommended. Great Quality!
Positive pbtxlady
Garland, TX (Zone 8a)
July 1, 2010
I've been on Bridgewood's mailing list for a couple of years, but just received my first order from them today. I have to say that these are absolutely the best hostas I have ever mail-ordered. That's pretty amazing when you consider that it's a mid-summer sale (what they usually call the "ugly plant sale"). The hostas are large with multiple eyes. In addition to hostas, I also ordered a cinnamon fern which was about 3 times the size I expected.

Bridgewood ships most plants in their pots. They spend some money on shipping supplies, and pack very carefully. Everything arrived without a leaf out of place. Obviously, I couldn't be happier and will definitely order from them again.
Positive illicklm
Kempton, PA
April 29, 2010
Posted on April 6, 2009, updated April 29, 2010
I've been ordering from Bridgewood for the past 5 years since I have mostly shade gardens. I've bought their collections, end-of-year sale, multiple buy discounts, individual plants - you name it. They take great care in shipping the plants. I absolutely love the pictures and selection. I am waiting anxiously for the shipment of this year's plants to arrive. If you are looking for hostas, this is the place to shop!

Happy Gardening from Kemptom, PA
On April 29th, 2010, illicklm added the following:

Just received my first shipment of over 20 more new hostas this year and I can't wait to plant them in my ever growing hosta gardens. I did start adding some ferns this year and I'm starting to get addicted to them also. As usual all the plants arrived packaged in beautiful condition. My second shipment was delayed because they had some damage from hail the other night and Chick graciously offered to replace the damaged hostas with a more expensive one at no extra charge to me (or refund my money which I was not interested in at all). The second package will be waiting for me when I get home today. Kudos to Chick and everyone there. Can't say enough good things about the plants.

Hosta La Vista
Positive Pigweed12
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
February 12, 2010
Like other posts here, my experience with Bridgewood has consistently been wonderful. What impressed me most was that last year a sale started after my order had been placed. Chick gave me a refund and extended the sale price to my order. This was unasked for service and won my loyalty forever.
Positive FORDSHO
Ansonia, CT (Zone 6b)
January 19, 2010
I have been ordering my Hostas from Bridgewood gardens since 2006 and have never had a quality or shipping problem. The plants are packed with care and shipped quickly. Looking foward to ordering more from them this season :)
Positive duckmother
North Little Rock, AR (Zone 7b)
June 25, 2009
I ordered 2 hostas and knew they were going to have only 1 eye. Oh My! What an eye ;o) Both are large with perfect leaves. Shipping was excellent and arrival was perfect. I will always do business with Bridgewood!
Positive dirthound
Cohocton, NY
June 19, 2009
Excellent communication, shipping just as Lazy ss does, excellent, wonderful hostas,lots of eyes. Purchase with confidence. Thanks Bridgewood...
Positive Cheryl8
Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a)
June 10, 2009
I just received hosta 'Korean Snow. Beautiful, healthy plant, great shipping, fantastic packing and Chick is a pleasure to do business with. All the hosta's I've ordered from this company over the years are all beautiful and thriving.
Positive minuspa
Saint Joseph, MI
June 8, 2009
I have also ordered from Bridgewood Garden on line, another nursery whose hosta's are great. It is wise, I think to read these blogs regarding what people have experienced good and bad regarding certain nurseries and which one to definitely stay away from when ordering plants on line.
Positive mystty530
Hot Springs National Park, AR
May 2, 2009
I just received my first order from Bridgewood and was absolutely delighted with the condition of the hostas, the packaging and the care given to insure their safe arrival. The soil was still moist. Small problem with computer/payment that was quickly resolved, excellent communication. Would buy from again anytime
Marcia Matheny
Ar/zone 7
Positive plantgnome
Coram, NY
April 28, 2009
I have just placed my 4th order with this company and have yet to have even 1 tinsy problem with them. Excellent Hostas, good prices and great packaging. Will continue to purchase Hostas from them. AA++
Positive flowerfantasy
Washington, IN (Zone 6a)
November 14, 2008
I have ordered plants from several different gardening places and this is probably the best experience with one that I have had. Plants were still moist and in pots as stated . Shall get to see the results this spring. Good people to deal with. Good communications too.
Plants arrived within a few days of ordering.
Positive GardeningNC
Durham, NC (Zone 7b)
November 11, 2008
Ordered 5 hostas in their ugly fall plant sale - all came in 4" pots with good roots, only one did not have roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. Great packing, plants were in their pots with little soil disturbance. Since it was an ugly plant sale there was no foliage - but Ill get to see the beauties next year.
Positive toughgardengeek
Bethpage, NY
September 8, 2008
I ordered 11 Hostas on a Tuesday, received the plants on Friday of the same week. All plants healthy and in great condition. And this was an end of summer "Ugly plant sale" where the prices on average were reduced by 40%.
Positive ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a)
August 4, 2008
I purchased 17 hostas last week and was very impressed with the size and health of the plants shipped. They look great and were a fantastic value. There were a few damaged leaves on the larger plants which I pinched off. The damage was minimal and the plants were in amazing shape for travelling several days in 90+ degree daily temperatures.
Positive dodges7
Alna, ME (Zone 5b)
August 1, 2008
Ordered several hostas which were received three days after ordering. Plants were very well packed with no damage showing on any plant. Easy online ordering with large selection. Would recommend highly.
Positive pup5pup
East Hampton, CT
May 18, 2008
have used bridgewood for several years now, the owner seems ro be a character and makes the experience fun...with tales of his dogs and down to earth,common sense comments about his profession...I love the on-line catalog as is, plants,timing, packing and shipping are perfect. what i love best is getting decent sized hosta in a smallish pot (but not rootbound) that is easy for an oldish customer to dig a hole for and plant....yeah chick, i love sagae too!!!
Positive CarynDalton
Marysville, OH
May 12, 2008
I placed two large orders for hostas this year totalling about $350. About half of that order came from Bridgewood.

Comments about the website:
I spent hours reading about every single hosta they carried mainly because I had no choice. Their site is set up alphabetically and you have to either read everything or know what you are looking for. That's fine with me now but in the beginning it was a bit irritating. After reading their "why we don't have a search engine on our site" website page, I have a feeling that knowing it irritates some people wouldn't really make them change their minds about how they do things. Besides, had I gone to their site with a list to shop from, I would have spent half as much! Since they do have a great selection and I got a buy 2 get 1 free sale, I ended up spending much more. I wish some of the descriptions were a little more consistant in the descriptions like habit of growth, water and sun tolerance, exactly what is the mature height and width, etc.... (or links to dave's garden for more info) and that there were planting suggestions (with the other hostas on their site), but that's just a preference for the site and they may not want to suggest hostas that they may become sold out of. To counteract this point, they do offer collections, but I prefer to mix and match my own. Also, it would be great if the shopping cart let you see thumbnails of the plants you chose. When you have a big impulse list going , it gets kind of hard to remember the color/texture.

Shipping:
Chick worked with me to send me the hostas at the time I preferred them which was much later than his assumed (mid March) last frost date (actual mid-May) for my area. The Hostas arrived in two big boxes without any damage at all. They used UPS and the boxes were packed well both inside and out with the appropriate labels to say that the contents contained live plants. The plants were in an upright position with stakes preventing box collapse. There was actually a pot superglued to the bottom of the box that was empty to prevent things from moving around. Nice attention to detail.
There was an email sent to me (at my request but they may do this anyway) when the order was sent and I received it two days later.

Communication: Well, we exchanged a few emails. The first was over an issue in the shopping cart. Every time I clicked on a certain plant I wanted to order the plant that was actually put in the cart was not the one I was clicking on! I emailed to tell them the one it was supposed to be. Then the second was them telling me when they would ship and mine asking them to ship at the correct time for my area. Chick was very obliging and agreed without any argument or defense. His emails were short and polite and replies were sent in a timely manner. I've already mentioned the email stating the items had shipped.

Plant condition: Well, I ordered several plants and they were all shipping in nice big pots. Most had 1-4 tips with leaves put on with the majority being 2. Some only had tips showing with no leaves. Again, no foilage damage was found. There were, however a substantial amount of fungus gnats that flew out immediately upon opening the box. There were also a number of aphids on the newer terminal growth of the smallest plants. I removed what I could and started hardening them off right in the boxes with the lids open. I have left them in their boxes in a protected spot to acclimate to my conditions. I have been watering them. Still insect activity but thankfully, no slugs or snail damage has been noted. Overall, the plants are not as large and had the insect issues but I am still happy with my order. I know it takes a lot to kill hostas so I'm not complaining. Besides, two days in a nice humid warmish box is a nice place to be if you are a bug.

Price comparison. Well, as I mentioned I got the 3 for 2 sale and ordered a few of those which brought those varieties under market price but the others I ordered cost more and were smaller sized than the other order I placed. They have some really expensive ones on their site and it seemed that those were the ones that they were introducing.

Would I order from them again? Well, yes but I've got enough to do this year, thank you very much! Thanks Chick, for your communication. I'll take the bugs and still come back if only because of that one detail.
Positive zafo
Saint Louis, MO
May 1, 2008
I always have a good experience here. They ship nice sized plants at a great price. One added bonus is the hostas are shipped in their pots so if the weather isn't agreeing with your schedule all you need to do is water the pots. This place is great!
Positive joosbird
Glenwood Springs, CO
December 30, 2007
Just GREAT hostas, and Chick is a nice guy and cares
about his plants. I have ordered three years from here,
all hostas, and am not dissappointed. Packing is very
good and last year I had to keep my hostas indoors for
a month becuase of a cold snap we had here in Colorado.
They did just fine and I got em in the ground and they
flourished. I can't WAIT to see my hosta garden this spring.
Gonna go check out the new line-up that Chick has.
Hope you helps!
Positive nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD (Zone 6b)
May 10, 2007
I have ordered from Bridgewood Gardens in the past and have always been very satisfied with my plants. This year I ordered in January when they have some special offers for shipping on or after April 30. They shipped exactly as requested and this year their hostas are just spectacular. They arrived without a single broken leave, as usual given their great packing process. The plants are all very healthy and good sized, relative to their size in the hosta kingdom. Once again, Bridgewood has exceeded my expectation. Plus their website is kind of fun to read :-))
Positive karmalottaz
Arden, NC
May 9, 2007
I ordered about 30 Hostas from Chick. I am not putting up a negative at this point becuase i believe that the problems that I have had nothing to do with the quality of the hostas or the company. I had two boxes one small, one big. The bigger box was pretty destroyed when it got to me and wet. The only damaged hostas that I had from this pitifull box(again not chicks fault UPS Ithink is to blame)were the larger one's i ordered 3 Blue angels and 2 sum or substance. They were pretty much mush by the time they got to me. I have written chick and we'll see what they want to do. BUt otherwise I am totally happy with the rest of my order and will definetley order again since now I have that HOSTA BUG!
On May 9th, 2007, karmalottaz added the following:

Just got my email back from Chick very prompt and he let me know that he is sending out the blue angels and the sum and subtances out today. Again very postive experience and definetley will be ordering again very soon!
Positive naal
Fairfax, VA
May 8, 2007
Ordered back in February and received over 25 hostas and ferns in April as promised. They arrived packaged very well, healthy and complete. All are in the ground now and thriving. This is the 3rd time I've ordered from them and will be back for more!
On July 31st, 2008, naal added the following:

Received yet another order from Chick and all were healthy, nice size hostas. They came expertly packaged, moist and were quickly shipped.
Positive bevpack
Fairfax, VA
April 15, 2007
First Class experience! I just ordered over 60 hostas - very nice selection on the website, VERY carefully & securely packaged, good roots, and excellent customer service. Now that my hostas are in the garden... I am planning my next order. I highly recommend Chick & Bridgewood Gardens.
Positive Jim40000
Newport News, VA
November 17, 2006
Great plants
Great pricing
Timely deliveries
Good root systems
Great packaging and plants arrived moist.

Class act.
Positive CricketCreek
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 5b)
August 11, 2006
Beautifully packed and really nice plants.Some even in bloom. Everything looks healthy and happy. I will be back for more.
On September 3rd, 2006, CricketCreek added the following:

I've now gotten 3 shipment from bridgewood - over 70 plants and they are great. Fast shipping and the most amazing packing. Thinking about more!
On May 12th, 2007, CricketCreek added the following:

yup i got more - fantastic plants and obseesive packing make shopping here always great
Positive Flintrock
Flint, TX
August 9, 2006
Chick is the greatest. I have ordered on several occassions this year, purchased 28 hostas in all. I found them on the whole to be very nice plants. Excellent packing, very fair prices and great sales. Lastet is the 'Ugly Plant Sale'. Can't wait to receive these. The one plant I had an issue with I contacted him on. Chick weighted the situation and deemed I was intitled to a replacement plant. The replacement was very, very nice. The website is full of good information about growing hosta and entertaining to read. Chick has a sense of humor. He refers to himself as "a humble hosta farmer". He knows a great deal about the plant and shares the information.
Positive adina72
Pennellville, NY (Zone 5a)
August 4, 2006
I have ordered from Chick several times and each time the order arrived quickly and the plants in remarkable shape, even though I mainly order during the "Ugly Plant Sale". I highly recommend his company.
Positive justdeb
Birmingham, AL (Zone 7b)
July 16, 2006
I was/am new to gardening and simply knew that hostas were what I wanted. I ordered from Bridgewood because of their easy to use website & their selection complete with necessary information about the various hostas.

We recieved a call from "Chick" a few business days after the order was placed online. He was calling to advise us that one of our selections had been damaged by an unexpected late freeze. He advised that some of the leaves were brown from the freeze but that the plant would easily recover. He gave us the option of taking them at a discount or removing them from our order.

We took them and are thrilled. They didn't have exessive appearance of damage and they quickly grew to replace any unsightly leaves.

Regardless of our choice, Bridgwood Gardens took the initiative to give us the choice. Most companies are impersonal and will just take the money and gamble that you're too busy to follow-up and complain. I'd do business with this Bridgewood Gardens again in a heartbeat.
Positive Browndog
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
June 3, 2006
I ordered nine hostas from Bridgewood Gardens this year and I am very pleased with the whole transaction.

The web site has a no nonsence, down home look and feel with just the right amount of humor injected. Plus, it's very informative and I often refer to it just for hosta information.

Although I didn't count them (I'll let Chick handle that task) the number of hostas from which to choose is substantial and with many unusual varieties as well.

Email communication with Chick was crisp and concise. The plants arrived during the week he promised, were very well packed and were just beginning to break dormancy. Two of the hostas had three eyes, two had four eyes and the rest had five eyes. I let them harden for a few days before planting and they are now growing like weeds. I did lose the White Christmas, but only because my landscaper accidentally stepped on it with a size 12 work boot the day after I planted it

There are many good sources out there for mail order hostas, but in my experience, this is clearly one of best and will definately be on my mail order hosta "buy from" list in the future.
Positive Flowerchild59
Carbondale, IL
May 18, 2006
I have ordered from them several times over the last couple of years. They have a great selection and I like their customer service. They generally ship in pots and I get to plant at my convenience.
Positive linpin1
Florence, MA
May 8, 2006
SUPERLATIVE! There are not enough superlative adjectives to describe my experience with my online order from this company. The plants arrived arrived healthy, whole, and amazingly well packed. I kept inviting my neighbors and passersby in to marvel at the care that was taken in packaging. The humorous tales on their web site helped me pass some housebound winter evenings with hopeful anticipation of spring, and it was a delight to be able to open the box and find, as promised, beautiful plants!