The scoop on 'Broken Arrow Nursery'

Broken Arrow Nursery

13 Broken Arrow Road
Hamden, Connecticut 06518 (United States)

Visit Broken Arrow Nursery at:

Company Comment, posted on October 11, 2002:

Comments:

Positive Missyinbama
Wetumpka, AL (Zone 8a)
April 6, 2014
A plant collector's dream! A great selection of unusual plants, superb packaging, and fast shipping make this company really stand out. As long as I find room in the garden, I will purchase plants from here again!
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
December 2, 2012
My plants were of exceptional quality- much larger than I expected and in excellent health. Roots were just right and not rootbound but filled out nicely. Service was excellent too and Adam answered my questions promptly and was very professional and that is very important ot me. I will be definitely ordering again.
Positive nwark
Fayetteville, AR
November 10, 2012
Great plants. Plants were not at all root bound, which is very very unusual. Everything was very healthy and well cared for. shipping was far more reasonable than some others. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF RARITIES.

The one mild complaint I have, was there wasn't a shipment notification. Received a acknowledgement of order and then nothing else. I will certainly be looking to them in the future.
Positive frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL (Zone 5a)
May 5, 2012
This is my first order with this nursery but it certainly will not be my last. The plants I received were magnificent; large and well rooted. Definitely a 'go to' nursery for the unusual in woody plants.
Positive quercuswv
Teays Valley, WV
March 15, 2012
Just wanted to submit a long overdue positive note regarding Broken Arrow and the plants I've received the previous two years. All plant material ordered has thrived since planting, with the mountain laurel, in particular, being well-formed and substantial. Thank you Dr. Jaynes and the rest of the staff!
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
October 19, 2010
I consider myself lucky in that I can stop by this nursery any day riding home from work. Certainly for woody plants they are the best source in Connecticut. There are fewer perennials but you are sure to find something interesting. This year they had a superb offering of Cypripedium and Disporum for example. Although the prices have gone up over the years (they used to have many items dirt cheap), you still get great value for your $$$. There is nothing else like this in the area. If you like variegated plants, Rhododendrons, Kalmias, Ilex, and Conifers (to name but a few of their specialties), be prepared to be shattered and then reconstructed. Kudos to Andy, Carl, and Dick for a remarkable nursery!
Positive steve1young
Huntington Station, NY
October 18, 2010
Posted on March 23, 2006, updated October 19, 2010
I've had many great experiences with these folks and I will not hesitate to drive 3 or more hours to purchase (at this point) thousands of dollars worth of plants from them for my clients. The quality of materials is amazing. The customer service here is unbeatable: very, very helpful, friendly, patient, knowledgeable, fun. The prices are very good, sometimes great. And, it's wonderful to see so many of their unusual offerings planted throughout their gardens. They're one of my staples. Period.
On October 18th, 2010, steve1young added the following:

I continue to be a loyal customer and for the very good reasons listed here. If you appreciate great quality, service, selection, prices, and so much more then you have to visit Broken Arrow Nursery. It's like going to an amusement park for gardeners!
Positive luckypenny
New Haven, CT
February 4, 2007
The staff at broken arrow are very well versed in the best plants for any conditions. They take the time to advise you on what plant/shrub/tree is best for your sun level, soil condition and vission of your garden. When I started going there 3 years ago I had little or no background in gardening. At that time they were patient and helped my education. Now that I am a mid level gardener they address my questions with the same care, but reflect my new concers. They have a stunning variety of shade shrubs and hard to find trees.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
December 14, 2006
Broken Arrow has some incredibly rare plants for the collector. They are very helpful and will take the time to tell you about their plants, some of which are very difficult to find any information on because they are so rare. The plants they shipped were healthy and well packaged. Many of the plants they ship are 1 year cuttings or grafts, so do not expect huge plants. One of the plants they sent had a rather weak root system and they did not hesitate to send a replacement when it was brought to their attention. I would definitely recommend them.
Positive esw
Haydenville, MA (Zone 5a)
April 10, 2005
I purchased a number of Kalmia liners....they were healthy and settled in nicely to my hilly yard. ..The Nursery had a very nice selection of many other woody plants and perennials. The ones I purchased were likewise excellent. Their online catalog notes that they are offering a limited number of plants via mailorder this year!
Positive ceelias
September 3, 2003
Extremely knowledgeable about Mountain Laurel...They literally wrote the book!

Plants very good quality, excellent planting directions.

It's well worth visiting their site during their open house.
Positive judykulak
July 1, 2001
Toured this nursery recently. A good place to buy from. Selection is very good, quality is very good, and prices are good or very good. If you can possibly visit, it's absolutely worth it. So wonderful to see the cultivars you are interested in actually planted in permanent settings! The people are very helpful, also.
Positive scottrosenthal
April 1, 2001
Broken Arrow was the only mail order nursery to stock the very unusual variety of stewartia I have been seeking. For this I tip my hat in their direction. The price is very fair and their response very quick. Only complaint is that I requested a later ship date, but I can let that go if the plant survives.