The scoop on 'Comanche Acres Iris Garden'

Comanche Acres Iris Garden

12421 SE State Hwy 116
Gower, Missouri 64454 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-382-4747 (orde
Paper Catalog Cost: $3 (refundable with 1st order)

Visit Comanche Acres Iris Garden at:

Comments:

Positive crowrita1
Lyndon, IL (Zone 5a)
July 2, 2014
Posted on August 14, 2013, updated July 2, 2014
We have ordered from Comanche several times, and have never been disappointed. Communication is excellent, and so is the product! Rhizomes aren't huge, like the west coast growers ship, but for mid-west grown, they are nice. Plants are very healthy, and the price is fair. I would recommend this grower to anyone....Thanks
On July 2nd, 2014, crowrita1 added the following:

I placed ano5her order with Comanche Acres this year, and again, I'm glad I did...they have a wonderful product, and excellent service!...Arlyn
Positive hollyhock68
Osborn, MO
July 6, 2011
I purchased some rhizomes from Comanche Acres years ago and the irises are fantastically prolific. From only four original rhizomes, I have had a glorious profusion that have not only stayed consistent in color and size, but have survived two moves.
I just bought a few more this year and received my order yesterday. I am excited to plant them and see them flourish like the others.
Comanche Acres is about 30 minutes from me and I highly recommend visiting them in person when the iris are exploding with blooms.
The folks who run it are great and the service is wonderful. I especially like the extra iris you receive with your order.
Positive JenniferRuth
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
September 15, 2010
I was pleased with my order from Comanche Acres, a company that I ordered from a couple of times a few years ago as well. This time I ordered at the very end of the season, from their sale. The rhizomes were rather small compared to the ones I ordered from California iris nurseries, but I know from personal experience living in the Midwest that that is just the way iris grow there. Some of the ones they sent me were good-sized and had increase on them. Others were small, but big enough to grow well. They sent me one that I felt was just too small, so I asked for it to be replaced. They apologized and replaced it promptly.

I particularly like the look of the irises that they themselves have hybridized. They have those grouped together on the website, and I ordered mostly those plus some rebloomers.

Jennifer
Positive mamajack
Fate, TX (Zone 8a)
May 18, 2010
Posted on September 13, 2009, updated May 18, 2010
we had a mini-co-op for spuria iris with mr. hedgecock. while he is slow to communicate via email in person he is very helpful as one of our members picked our iris up at his place. sent us very beautiful and freshly dug iris. he did send an extra plant as well. everyone in the co-op was happy with the quality and would not hesitate to order from comanche acres in the future.
On May 18th, 2010, mamajack added the following:

just wanted to say that i read everywhere that spuria don't like to bloom the year after being moved. but i have to say that all of the ones mr. hedgecock sent did bloom in their first year here. they left his place in the rain and got to my place in the rain so that may be the reason. anyway thanks again mr. hedgecock.
Positive 1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA (Zone 9b)
November 19, 2008
I ordered 26 different bearded iris from comanche in a DG co-op. I was very pleased with the product that arrived. I called comanche myself and spoke to the owner. Very nice and friendly man who takes his business very seriously, his family has been growing iris for many, many years. I look forward to ordering more next season!
Neutral iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY (Zone 6a)
September 25, 2008
i ordered from horton iris , c&t iris , scheriners , which all exceeded my expectations . comanches iris were like 1/4 the size of the other guys. they did send a bonus the other guys sent like 4 bonus . and the size of my order was the same . i gave a neutral because i got what i ordered when i was supposed to but the plants left something to be desired . i probably wont order from them again because there are so many places out there with better quality plants for a cheaper price .
Neutral BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
August 1, 2008
This was my first order of beareded iris. After researching which varieties might stand up to high heat and humidity, I researched who had what I wanted and placed good-size orders with five different companies who were highly rated here. I have received all the orders now, and I must say I was a bit disappointed in the Comanche Acres order. Out of my order of 12 bearded iris, two were substituted (when I had specifically stated I did not want substitutions) with varieties I did not desire. Based on the reviews I read here, I had anticipated that the Comanche Acres rhizomes would be among the largest I received from my orders. However, while they were packaged well, the Comanche Acres order turned out to be by far the smallest of the rhizomes I received. Two bonus iris were included... one of which looks to be quite beautiful... and the bonuses were the best of the rhizomes I received. The price for Comanche Acres also was a bit higher than for any of the other companies I used. Perhaps the Louisiana iris I ordered from them will have better results. I ordered Louisiana iris from four companies, and I will post another review after I receive them.
On October 17th, 2008, BlissfulGarden added the following:

My Louisiana iris ordered arrived and it was alright. As with the bearded iris rhizomes, they were much smaller than the rhizomes I received from other companies. I ordered Louisiana iris from five companies... and comparing order to order via mail, I do not think I will be doing business with Comanche again unless they are the only source for a cultivar I seek. There are too many options that provide a better gardening experience.
Positive DeAnne65
Hammond, LA
September 24, 2007
The rhizomes I received were large and healthy and I also received a bonus rhizome. Their prices are very reasonable and their delivery time was quick. I will definitely shop here again the next time I order irises.
Positive happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO (Zone 5a)
September 16, 2007
Purchased lots of iris from them, everything has been as expected. Great to work with. Will continue to do buisness with them.
Positive elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
August 21, 2007
Excellent company - large selection, good prices, quick service, the roots were very fresh and healthy. I ordered 5 roots and they included 2 bonus, all are showing new growth.
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
March 30, 2006
Readily answers e-mails. Sends large, fresh, healthy sized rhizomes. A satisfactory experience. Would order from them again.
Positive catnroses
Cameron, MO
January 22, 2004
Two years ago, my first year gardening, I went to Comanche Acres Iris Garden with a friend because we had heard how beautiful it was.

I bought around 12 Iris. They sent me home with a little bag
of the right food and good instructions. Some of what I ordered could only be sent out a couple of months later.

The post office held them for 10 days through an error on the PO part. I knew that I would lose some of those. I didn't.

Every Iris I bought has been big and beautiful and healthy.
I recommend this place highly. The owners were friendly and easy to work with.