The scoop on 'Grigsby Cactus Garden'

Grigsby Cactus Garden

2326-2354 Bella Vista Drive
Vista, California 92084-7836 (United States)

Comments:

Positive seattleblev
Seattle, WA
April 30, 2011
I just returned from visiting their nursery and I came away very impressed with the overall quality of the plants and the availability of rare and unusual cacti and succulents. I highly recommend them.
Positive mitsukurina
Los Angeles, CA
November 12, 2007
Wonderful plants for awfully low prices. This is one of the finest cactus and succulent nurseries in the US. They propagate everything themselves and the range and quality is still nothing less than astounding. I have been many times to the nursery and can only describe it as amazing. Just this Saturday I visited and came away with quite a haul and at rather low cost. I cannot recommend this nursery enough. 10 out of 10.
Positive Greenpeter6
Astoria, NY
November 9, 2007
It's interesting to me how people can have such differing experiences with a single company. I was concerned about ordering because of some of the things I read on this site and mostly because of the wildfires that affected Southern California. Of course, I only heard about the wildfires on the television news and I still do not know how they affected Grigsby Cactus. My order arrived today, and I couldn't be happier. The three plants I ordered (2 Rauhias and a snakeplant) were beautiful. Very clean and well grown. Packing was excellent; the plants quickly sent. I will certainly order from this nursery again, and again. My advice, for what it is worth: Give a vendor a try, especially for rare and uncommon plants. You might be pleasantly surprised, and pleased!
Negative Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
October 3, 2007
I recently placed an order with Grigsby for the first time.
When I sent in the order form (no online ordering is available) I omitted one piece of information - my credit card expiration date. The logical thing for Grigsby to have done is to have e-mailed me, asking for the correct info, right?

Nope. What they instead did (as I later learned from the credit card company) was to attempt multiple charges on the card (using guesses on the expiration date?), until the credit card co. got suspicious and froze my account. At this point you'd think Grigsby would contact me to take care of the problem.

Nope. The credit card co. called me and we straightened things out. I e-mailed Grigsby with the expiration date and asked them to get in touch if there were further problems. Did they respond to my e-mail?

Nope. A couple days later I received a letter from them enclosing my order form, stating that a charge on my card had been refused and that they were canceling the order. I noticed from the enclosed form that half the items I'd ordered were sold out - so what they'd done (instead of contacting me to ask if I wanted only a half-order or inquiring as to possible substitutes) they'd tried to charge my card anyway. I e-mailed them again, detailing what had happened, and asking them to contact me to confirm that the order had been canceled. DId I hear from them? Nope.

Would I ever trust this company to properly handle a future order?

Nope.
Negative PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO (Zone 6a)
September 23, 2007
I want to start off by stating that this is the first negative I have ever given a company in the many reviews that I have left and it is not because I received bad plant material, but encountered rudeness.

I was visiting California with my mom and we made plans to visit Grigsby's. We were considering this a treat as there is not a nursery like this in Missouri. The website states that visitors are welcome unless there are hard rains or high temperatures. Because it rained overnight, I phone beforehand and was told we could still visit.

When we arrived, we found out that the gate is locked and we have to honk 3 times. The first lady tells us it has rained and it will probably rain again, do we still want her to unlock the gate. Let's see, we are in California and drove 40 minutes to the nursery after we called to see if we could still come. Well, of course we do. It is a narrow drive through some prickly plants and I didn't park how they wanted me to (the area is not actually a parking lot but a small space next to a shade house). A second lady comes out and tells me I need to park a different way for other customers who show up. Please note that I am driving a rental SUV through a narrow area with prickly, scratchy plants and trees. I am responsible for any damage to this car. It took me 2 tries. During this time, this lady is sighing, acting frustrated and rolling her eyes. After I get out, I explain it's a rental car and she states "well, I guess that explains it." Like I am just ignorant or I have wasted her time.

How anyone would expect that we would purchase any plants today or any day in the future from this nursery is beyond me. We spent perhaps 10 minutes and then left and, even though I was made to move my car so the hordes of customers would have room to park, no one else showed up. I spend a great deal of money each year online for plants. This nursery will never see any of my money.
On December 10th, 2007, PlantMomto3 added the following:

Some additional details I would like to add:
My mom and I are not plant novices. We spend a large amount of money every year on plants--we generally are looking for the rare or hard to find. Neither my mom nor I were impressed with the quality or price of the plants that were available. In addition, I don't know if we visited at a bad time, but things were messy, plants not organized, knocked out of pots, etc. I know that pests are always present, but we saw mealy bugs on more than a couple of plants. I was not impressed. There are so many better vendors out there that I would prefer to give my money to.
Positive palmbob
Acton, CA (Zone 8b)
July 15, 2006
ordered from them last year, and though prices were not all that great, the surprise was the great quality of the plants, all packed very well and some much larger than I expected. All plants have done great for me, and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Also, the order was sent in a timely manner, unlike my experience with some of the other cactus/succulent dealers. My only complaint is when you ask them to send you special announcements about rare plants they may have, they are always gone by the time the flyer is even mailed. Oh well.
Positive chancremechanic
Slidell, LA (Zone 9a)
March 4, 2006
I have dealt personally with the owner twice; very informative and honest. I was going to pay $5.00 for a yucca, but she said it "looked" sickly and gave it to me instead of letting me buy a "sick" plant; she could have said nothing and I possibly would have been out $5.00. I'm gonna bring the yucca back to life, (hopefully), and show it to her. Nursery has thousands of cacti/succulents to choose from. Good prices too. Highly recommended. George
Positive InnerLightPhoto
Brooklyn, NY
January 20, 2006
Ordered some caudiforms [calibanus hookeri, fokea edulis, etc.] and other succulents [ euphorbia decaryi, etc.] and was extremely happy with them. All have grown well - even in the winter in Brooklyn. The only thing I was a little put off with was that the plants arrived bareroot, which I wasn't prepared for. As I write this, I am preparing yet another order for which I am anxiously looking forward to it's arrival, as I know I will not be disappointed.
Positive gingerbaby2000
Brooklyn, NY
November 12, 2005
I have used them off and on for over 8 years, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have a great variety of succulents and cacti and keep you posted about your order.
When they arrive the plants are usually a nice size and are very well packed and very healthy.

Ginger
Positive ooojen
Lewiston, MN
July 8, 2005
Good comments I read here on Garden Watchdog prompted me to break my usual rule of only ordering a couple things in a first order -- to feel out the quality and size of plants before I invest much (at least what qualifies as "much" to me!). Grigsby Cactus Gardens had quite of number of plants that I really wanted, and that aren't easy to find, so it wasn't difficult to influence me.
I got my order yesterday, and I'm VERY pleased! The plants are just gorgeous-- large, healthy, top-quality! The packing was excellent, too. They even put foam peanuts over the spines of a spiny plant to prevent their getting broken. I wish more nurseries would show that level of care.
I would highly recommend Gribsby Cactus Gardens, and I'm sure I'll be back!
Positive kauffmanpj
April 20, 2004
I have an extensive collection of succulents and the size and prices were really great. Easy to work with and good healthy plants AAAAAAAAAA
Positive gardengalca
January 18, 2004
This is a very good company. They have a nice selection of rarities, and plants are also well sized. Orders usually arrive fast and they are very helpful if you can catch them on the phone. My only complaint is that some of the plants seem a bit over-priced for what they are.
Positive glop
February 22, 2003
I've ordered several times from Grigsby in the last year, including nearly all of their sansevierias, as well as a dorstenia, aloe, pachypodium, crassula etc.. The plants are always in amazing condition with very well developed root systems. They are also always quite larger than I've come to expect from other places, especially for the prices. I've always been given a date that plants will be shipped (usually the tuesday following the order)and a date to expect them to arrive. I've been extremely happy with my experiences and they are my first choice for sansevierias, as I know the size and condition of the plants will be consistently very good. Unfortunately, I've already ordered all the sans in their catalog that I don't already have, but I anxiously await their next catalog!
Neutral alicef
PHILADELPHIA
United States
September 2, 2002
Really interesting material is offered, sometimes in excellent mature sizes. I visited the nursery once- it was a true treat. My one complaint is that in one order, all of the truncated Haworthias were infested with some type of mealybug, although they appeared to be ok on arrival. When I sorted this out and queried the owner on best treatment, she was sure that they had become infested from my plants. Possible,but not likely, since I had quarantined them well away from all of mine- and indoors, plus, I had never seen this form of mealybug. What I really wanted was help- and this was not what I got. On the flip side, every other order ever received has been great, and the plants have all done well- until I have had the chance to kill some all on my own.
Positive uva
June 1, 2002
A beautiful greenhouse,great plants,many years in the business.I have had a very positive relationship with them since 1991.