The scoop on 'Going Bananas'

Going Bananas

24401 SW 197 Avenue
Homestead, Florida 33031 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $1

Visit Going Bananas at:

Comments:

Positive nsobgyn
West Palm Beach, FL
March 13, 2013
The best place to buy banana plants! Excellent service and very knowledgeable. Highly recommended!
Positive frog7994
Golden Lakes, FL
September 13, 2012
Don is number 1 to me has all ways called me back with any question I might have. I only buy my products from him. I've been to his place several times I always learn something new when I go there.
Positive islandgirl37
Marathon, FL (Zone 11)
June 9, 2011
If only all growers were like Go Bananas.... what wonderful people to deal with and gorgeous, healthy, reasonably priced plants as well. Don is extremely nice. We went there on a Thursday, when they are closed but he patiently waited for us while we were loading up tropical plants at a nearby nursery and had our plants all ready to put in the truck for the ride home. Plus if you buy 5, you get one free. :) I have never ordered by mail from them, but would not hesitate for a second based on the experience visiting their nursery! WONDERFUL people and plants.
Positive venturabananas
Ventura, CA
December 3, 2010
This is a great operation. I ordered a couple of hard to find banana cultivars which arrived in very good shape. Katie, one of the owners, was very prompt and helpful in responding to questions I emailed her. They were also very accommodating in shipping to arrive at time that was convenient for me. Great service, great products. Wouldn't hesitate to order from this company again.
Positive alimnassar
Ames, IA
June 17, 2010
Bought several bananas from them over the years. Pleased with their products and customer service.
Positive keybrdkid09
Lake Worth, FL
March 3, 2010
After a recent order (and a cold snap,) I needed a few quick growing questions answered. Was able to speak directly to one of the owners, Don.

Don was very courteous, and answered every case specific question I had. He also allowed me to place a hold on a second pending order with his Company until the warmer months arrive.

Overall, I was very pleased with their mail-order process (very well packed and maintained humidity,) and will consider them again in the future.
Positive pilgrim317
Inman, KS
May 29, 2009
I ordered three dwarf bananas and all arrived promptly, in good shape and well rooted. These people have a very impressive inventory of plants.
Positive Kerry623
Hialeah, FL
April 23, 2009
I made my first purchase at the Mounts Botanical Gardens Spring Plant Sale back in the late 90s (Palm Beach County). I have now moved to Dade county and am planning to visit the Homestead site. I can't remember the the gentleman's name (perhaps Dave?) but he is always geniunely informative and helpful. Using his special blend of fertilizer I have produced some great bananas over the years......thanks.
Positive YodieCoyote
Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a)
April 11, 2008
I originally ordered Nanners several years ago from this nursery, while we lived in coastal GA. Service was excellent. Today, I received three more plants from Going Bananas. Even though these went to our new loc in NM, the plants came through in very nice condition. Nice top growth, and very good roots. Yes, Katie is very efficient at answering emails.
Positive 2mitchells
Apopka, FL (Zone 9b)
January 27, 2008
My wife and I went to "Going Bananas" on 1/24/08 and were met by Don. We told him what we were looking for a "Mysore" and "Grand Nain" banana. Not only did he have them, he let us sample them to make sure it was what we were looking for. He also gave us samples of other varieties that we also may like. We told him that we lived in Orlando and he steered us to a variety that was similar to "Grand Nain" but a little more cold tolerant, "Goldfinger", that may be better for our area.

Don told us how to plant, take care off and fertilize our two plants that we purchased from him. Katie responded promptly to our emails.

ABSOLUTLY a first rate business and we ABSOLUTLY recommend them.
Positive jeffhagen
Fort Lauderdale, FL
November 9, 2007
I visited the nursery in person last week and was pleasantly surprised. They have a great selection of well maintained bananas at reasonable prices. Moreover, the owner is very knowledgeable and friendly. I recommend doing business with these fellows.
On April 15th, 2008, jeffhagen added the following:

After visiting the nursery and purchasing bananas in person, I placed a mail order last week. Today I received a very healthy looking banana. My banana was a sucker (not tissue culture), but I'm very much happy with my purchase!

Going Bananas has been in business for eons. The owner is a known expert in the field of banana culture. They have a huge selection of bananas, including bananas that can't be found anywhere else. Consider Going Bananas for you next banana purchase.
Positive SierraTigerLily
Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b)
July 11, 2007
It is a pleasure to add yet another wonderful review for this excellent grower. Like previous comments, I decided to visit their nursery last week and was welcomed with an amazing tour of the grounds. I left with some of the most unusual ornamental bananas I've ever seen. My neighbors (who only shop at box stores) are green with envy! What I most appreciate is the time Don took to give soil advice and recommended gardening resources.
Positive ladolcevita
Lemont, IL
August 4, 2006
I've ordered twice from Going Bananas, and was very satisfied both times. They are very courteous, and friendly over the phone, answer questions with patience, and don't give you the bums rush. The banana corms are healthy, large, and vigorous. I plan on ordering from them again.
Positive JOHNFREEMAN
Seven Lakes, NC
December 10, 2004
This company is one of the best small nurseries I have ever encountered. The selection is extensive and the proprietor provided me with invaluable advice on selecting cultivars and growing them.
Positive elynngo
May 24, 2004
Going Bananas has not only supplied us with healthy bananas that are edible and some that are purely decorative, they have answered dozens of questions. In fact, they have emailed me references for other growers. We Garden Club Members (Marathon, FL) have found nirvana. Thank you, Katie and Don, my deepest appreciation for setting the standard in the business world ..... Elynn
Positive dmich
March 18, 2004
Last year, I ordered 3 banana plants from Going Bananas, and received 3 BEAUTIFUL plants in short order. This year, I ordered 9 banana plants from Going Bananas, and received 9 BEAUTIFUL plants just as fast. What a class act! Companies like yours have restored my faith in mail-order gardening! IF YOU WANT A BANANA PLANT, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH GOING BANANAS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Positive sunmicroman
January 19, 2004
Very simply, if you want to grow a banana variety look nowhere else. Going Bananas has very good prices, great plants and great customer service. My first choice for bananas and a high recommendation!!!
Positive voodoo_child
September 27, 2003
Yet one more positive remark about this company but I wanted to add my two cents. These people are great. They know their stuff about bananas and more importantly are extremely friendly and helpful. If you go in person they give you a tour on a golf cart and let you pick your own plants. The owners are as american as apple pie yet they know the names of the banana varieties in Cuba. At the end when I purchased two moderately priced plants they gave me fruit to sample! All businesses should be run like this.
Positive Gabe15
Nederland, CO
August 29, 2003
Ive orderd from them once and got a Rose banana that died shortly after I got it. I called them and they were more than willing to replace it with a different recomended type free of charge and even let me keep the Rose banana in case it came back to life. They answer e-mails very quickly and are very informative. They are the nicest people on the net. I would not buy from anyone else. Plants are very healthy and good sized. Excellent quality! : )
On April 30th, 2004, Gabe15 added the following:

I just ordered 3 more and recieved the 3 nicest plants you could buy ANYWHERE! The transaction was smooth and the shipping was super fast. I mailed the form on a Friday and recieved plants the next Thursday.
The packing was so good the plants looked like they were just dug up, which they were. They sell both pups and tissue culture but their tissue culture plants are very well establishled with big leafs and at least a foot or more tall, their pups are about 2 feet tall. They have about 90 varieties.DO NOT ORDER BANANAS FROM ANYWHERE ELSE! These people are the BEST! Thank you so much Don and Katie, you make buying plants fun.
On May 2nd, 2005, Gabe15 added the following:

Once again, great service and great plants from great people. Thanks Don and Katie!
Positive bananabrain
August 14, 2003
These folks are very nice and helpful. Emails are answered promptly. I visited their farm and they let my kids have a banana each to sample. I'm going back with a bag full of money to buy some plants. Great folks!
Positive Dack
(Zone 7b)
March 26, 2003
Easily one of the BEST experiences I've ever had ordering plants via mail-order. The service was friendly and personal. Katie was extremely helpful and answered my e-mail promptly, suggesting several different varieties of trees that would do well in my zone. After ordering, I received the plants VERY quickly. The eight trees I ordered were packaged perfectly, not a single one was damaged and all were extremely beautiful, vigorous specimens, ready for planting. Each tree had a label so there was no problem identifying the cultivars. I recommend GOING BANANAS to anyone who wants wonderful banana trees at great prices!
Positive Eclipse
Norwalk, IA (Zone 5b)
March 5, 2003
I ordered many plants from this grower last spring.The people were very friendly and helpful.Nice to find such a place these days. All plants were labeled and very nice..some were bigger than stated when I ordered them.Thats a great deal.I will order from them again! :-)
Positive SouthernGrowers
February 27, 2003
Excellent to do bzness with.
Purchased 5 and all were excellent.. not a little tiny tc plant.. mine averaged 18" and a baseball to softball size corm, but depends on variety..
i wuldn't purchase from anyone else..
Positive isuhort
September 22, 2002
Fun company to do business with. Bananas arrived in good condition. Highly recommended.
Positive insane
April 23, 2002
so far so good .waiting on my banana plants to get here..they were very helpful via e mail in recomending what type of plant to grow in my area. have a large selection of plants..hope all goes well .
ps i also called stokes tropical via e mail three times ,never has repled back!
Positive jenniferlewis
December 1, 2000
I've had an excellent experience ordering bananas from this nursery. Katie Chafin, one of the owners, answered numerous e-mails I sent them and gave me further advice over the phone about raising bananas in my area of the country. All three corms arrived in good shape, and I'm waiting a bit impatiently for new growth!