The scoop on 'Heirloom Seeds'

Heirloom Seeds

Box 245
West Elizabeth, Pennsylvania 15088-0245 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $1 (refundable w/1st order)

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive lkpinette
Deerfield, MA (Zone 6a)
March 6, 2014
I used to order from this company every other year, mostly melons and cucumbers. (Also I think I've gotten carrots, corn, radishes, and pumpkins from them, though each time only once.) Though I only got fruit from one of their varieties (miniature white cucumber), plus radishes (radishes are always absurdly easy) I was the idiot trying to do square-foot gardening in partial shade with melons. The seeds germinated and grew fine, and even blossomed, and they always arrived in a timely manner.

Then one year they had a family emergency or something which lead to delayed shipping times, so I got my seeds elsewhere. Every year since then, it's been the same old story: "we're a small family-run company and won't be able to ship for almost a month." Meanwhile their shipping at $4.50, is the most expensive I've seen. I think some companies charge that for rush shipping (which HeirloomSeeds.com doesn't do).

So yes, because of shipping time and costs, I'll probably never order from them again, which is too bad, because they have a pretty good selection and about half of their seeds come at the best price per seed I've ever seen. (Admittedly, based on the testimony of some other users, this might sometimes be negated by a poor germination rate. But not based on my own experience. I don't remember having issues with any of their seeds in terms of germination, and their melons and cucumbers always germinated in the 80% + range you'd expect, making them a good value.)

I'd also like to note that I *never* had powdery mildew problems with their seeds, and never even realized that was a problem until all the cucurbits in my garden were destroyed last year by powdery mildew that started on some winter squash from a major seed company. I strongly suspect came from the seeds of said squash, and it's amazing that a major company can't properly treat their seeds for fungus in a way that this company (despite their apparent organizational issues) seems to.

So yes, they're disorganized, dysfunctional, and have a website which doesn't seem to have been updated since the late 90's. But they're upfront about shipping times, their seeds are adequate, and their prices are generally quite good. If you have the time and patience to order from them, go for it.
Positive Heirloomgrower7
Ellisville, MS (Zone 8a)
December 30, 2013
Posted on September 26, 2009, updated December 30, 2013
Concerining heirloomseeds in West Finley, Pa. I have had no problem with this company. My first time ordering seeds from the internet was with this company and it was in December 2008. I received the seeds about 3 weeks from the time I ordered. I received more tomato seeds per pack than the package stated. These were my first heirloom tomatoes and they were the best tasting tomatoes I ever ate. It took a lot of work to grow them organically but it was worth it. My heirloom squash were big and prolific. Everything turned out great. I ordered more seeds last Monday. I just received my seeds today, Saturday. 6 days is all it took to order and get my seeds. Now, that's fast! As with the last time I ordered, they gave me a free packet of seeds. You can't get any better than this! As for those complaining about taking a long time to get their seeds, don't wait till everyone in the country is ordering to put your order in.
On December 30th, 2013, Heirloomgrower7 added the following:

I've been ordering here for 5 years and have been pleased ever since. My last order was placed on Nov. 29 this year. They took the money Dec 4 and I got my seeds a couple days later. My broccoli, cauliflower, onion, and carrots sprouted in 2 or 3 days. Thank you heirloomseeds.com!
Positive collards2013
Flemington, NJ
January 18, 2013
I don't know what the fuss is about. I ordered last year and they came in a timely fashion and the seeds grew. This year, I ordered from them along with two other companies and their's arrived first today.

If the man was sick, then have mercy. Things might have been overwhelming to them to make a living while their is a major problem in the family. I don't know them except that I have gotten great service two times in a row.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
March 5, 2012
I placed an order for 11 types of tomatoes in November. Although the site warned that there would be a delay in shipping (due to a medical crisis), my order was shipped out in a very timely 6 days. I was so pleased with my order (nearly 100% germination across the board) that I went to their site today to order some heirloom veges. Unfortunately, their website states that they are not currently taking orders due to backlog/ongoing medical issues. I will consider ordering from them again when they are back up and running as their selection is great, their prices are great and they handled my order (at least) in a professional manner (well packed and prompt). I just wish others had the same positive experience that I have had...
Neutral bbetv
North Glengarry , ON (Zone 5a)
January 7, 2012
Well I was getting ready to make what would have been a very large and pricey order, but had a question about shipping areas, cost of shipping and possibility of getting a pdf or other form of printable catalogue, hence I emailed my questions in what I think was a cheery and courteous way.
I got an email back with no salutations, not a single answer to any of my 3 questions and a standardized ''we do not print a paper catalog or accept orders by mail, phone or fax.All items can be viewed and ordered on-line''
There are so many sources for seed out there that are so polite and helpful and they are all busy at this time of year, but some still choose to build positive customer and take the time to answer simple ordering questions.
As a general rule , I try communicating with online companies before purchasing and always check if they have a ''real'' address rather than a p.o. box , I think that I'll keep up with this policy in order to save myself some headaches....
Positive keenmark
June 22, 2011
I have ordered from this company for 3 years and have been extremely satisfied with the quality of seeds. They are a small company and you need to have your order for tomato seeds in early. They never bill your credit card before the order ships and I have always received my products in time for planting. I love the convenience of their on-line catalog with wonderful description of the products. I plan to continue ordering in years to come. Love their tomato and pea seeds especially.
Negative cindyrmac
Rutland, VT
April 10, 2011
Right now I'm in the middle of a non-delivery battle against this ridiculous company. I have to tell you that I'm embarassed that I placed an order with them because I always try to do business with quality-reputable companies. I guess I bought into the "small family" business bit. Maybe it's true but it's no excuse for the horrendous customer service I have encountered. Understanding the long lead time, I inquired about the status of my order: Rude Response. I inquired about the actual ship date: Rude Response. I notified them that product has not been delivered: Rude and Ridiculous Response. They're now trying to tell me that I have to make a claim against the Post Office for my missing order. Absolutely 100% NOT true folks...they hired the PO, not me.
Really, I have been internet shopping since Amazon was a new company...and Heirloom Seeds is the most UNPROFESSIONAL company I have ever encountered. There are plenty of very nice companies out there who actually use the words Thank You for Your Business....don't waste your time with these jerks.
Negative rosseforp
Markle, IN
March 28, 2011
I have tried to order seeds from Heirloom Seeds for 2 years now. I had ordered from them in the past and had been very happy with their seeds, service and pricing. Last year (2010) in March they said they were overwhelmed with orders and weren't taking orders till the end of the month. I went elsewhere. This year (2011) I went to their website to order in February and they were again saying they were overwhelmed and would take orders again the end of March. I decided to be patient and wait. I just checked tonight and now, due to medical reasons, they do not know when they will be able to ship seeds again. As much as I loved their variety and prices, I do not want to have to go through this year after year. I understand having medical problems and such, but I don't understand not having someone to help them or simply closing their business. From reading other comments, I feel that I could not trust them in the future. :-(
Negative tepesridge
Catoosa, OK
February 28, 2011
Their customer service is horrible. I wrote them to tell them that none of their pimento seeds germinated (I purchased about 10 different varieties of peppers from them). What I received back was a canned email explaining how to start seeds. I responded with the fact that I am not a newby, I have been gardening for 40+ decades and have started my own (plus for friends and to sell) tomato and peppers for 20+ years and that I did NOT appreciate a canned email to my problem. That was over 10 days ago, not a word from their customer service since. I will never buy from them again, even if they are the only source for a seed, I'll do without!
Positive subyz
Gwynn's Island, VA (Zone 7b)
February 16, 2011
I was reluctant to order from this company because of reports here. Then their website was not available for months at the end of 2010. When it was finally up, I felt I had to take a chance since they had varieties I was not able to find anywhere else. I first emailed the company and asked what the chance was that my order would not be here before the suitable sowing time. They were speedy with their response but repeated their warning that orders were taking a MINIMUM of 28 days to process. I took a chance and placed the order hoping to have it here by March. I was delighted when we returned from a trip and found that it had been received only 3 weeks after placing the order. I am quite satisfied and will not hesitate to order again.
Positive Gerbera12
Johnstown, PA
March 19, 2010
This is my first year planting an heirloom garden and I found Heirloom Seeds to be a wonderful source of information. I placed my order on Feb 9, 2010 and received it on March 19, 2010. Yes, the wait was agonizing but I knew beforehand that I was going to have to be a little patient. Great selection and good pricing. Thanks!
Neutral zeinyx
TOPINABEE, MI (Zone 3a)
February 18, 2010
tried ordering... their site is up, spent 2 hrs picking out my seeds, when you go to order, its states they are no longer taking orders due to a large busy business already, but will be taking orders 1st week of april again.
Positive suemar63
Mass City, MI
December 16, 2009
I placed a large order Dec 9, 2009 and received it Dec 16. Everything was there, it was nicely packaged, and also included a planting guide. The website was easy to navigate too. I'm very pleased with them and will order from them again!
Positive OlgaGarden
Littleton, CO
December 11, 2009
Great company, every packet I ordered was in the box and they even included 2 free seed packets. Shipped in one week, during the holidays that's very very good. No complaints, A+
Positive azmiakabbani
Lizella, GA
October 10, 2009
Good quality & good prices, tomatoes & peppers.
Quick service & good germination.
Positive jjsges1
Bonners Ferry, ID
July 24, 2009
Great company....fast shipping. I ordered 40 pks. and everyone came plus a bonus .....I am very satisfied with this company they also have great planting instructions.

Thank you so much.
Neutral suezq223
Conshohocken, PA
April 27, 2009
Well, like others I ordered at the end of January and received my seeds about mid-March. I had emailed at the beginning of March asking when I would be receiving my seeds. I got a prompt response about the entire family working 7 days/15hrs a day. I also wondered why, if they had so much business, they didn't hire outside help. I was a little put off by their insistence that it was not even time to plant in my zone. Not that it's any of their business but I like to start things early in my portable greenhouses. I ordered my seeds because I wanted them when I ordered them (or in this case the website said 30-35 days from when I ordered), not when they decide I should plant them.
I am concerened now about the germination rates. I planted tomatos and peppers, in a portable greenhouse , with seedling heat mats about the end of March. I have only recently gotten some seedlings, it's the end of April. I have only one black bean and pinto bean seed start. Again these are in a portable greenhouse on my enlcosed porch. Also the spinach I planted in the garden has not come up.
I am a beginner gardener but would like to mention that I never had these problems starting seeds early when I have bought from Park Seed or Burpee. I'm not sure if it's me or the seeds, hence the neutral rating. Are there any others with a germination problem?
Negative chambma
Bath, NY (Zone 5a)
April 21, 2009
I placed an order with this company on Feb. 24th. At that time, their web site was indicating a 40-45 work day waiting period. I figured that would be OK and would still get my seeds here in time. After checking the mail the last few days, I decided to e-mail them to ask when my seeds would ship. They e-mailed back very promptly, but the news was extremely disappointing, as they indicated my seeds would not ship until late May. Around here, that is too late for some of the things I had ordered, like peas and broccoli. It is also much past 40-45 days.

I understand (as their e-mail mentioned) they are a small family-owned company and have had an extraordinary number of orders this year. But I don't see why they could not (especially in this economy) hire a few extra people to help them and get people's orders out in a reasonable time. They offered to cancel my order, but I don't want my order canceled, I just want my seeds, which I had carefully planned out and selected for their various attributes, and will have a hard time finding at my local garden center (especially the organic ones I had ordered). At the very least, you might think they would ship partial orders according to required planting dates. I can wait a bit for my bean seeds, for example, but not for the peas.

Anyway, I will most likely not order from them again next year.
Negative blueskyfd11
Harrison Valley, PA (Zone 5a)
April 8, 2009
The address given here is slightly different than what is listed here. The "Heirloom Seeds" that I am very disatisfied with is in West Finley Pa. Do not believe there can be 2 of the same names for different co. side by side, same state and town close by, so now I am abit confused.
Jan. 28th 2009 I ordered 24 different variety of heirloom vegtable seeds. On the site it mentioned that they were behind on orders because of volume that it would take 3 weeks before shipment. End of Feb. I e-mailed asking if order was coming anytime soon. i recieved a VERY ANGRY e-mail back stating it would take 60 days to recieve and they claimed it was listed on the site as 60 days. It wasn't. i copied the page long before all this if I ever needed to review it again. They finally came and that isn't what upsets me, the e-mail I recieved from them was WAY out of line! My e-mail was a kind letter just asking. But when I did recieve my seeds, 80 days later, the extras that I heard they send, they sent me for southern growing climates! Ummmm, did they not realize I to am from Penna? Reguardless, this was a very bad experience and I do alot of internet shopping (gardening stuff) They truly have lost a customer. Will never do business with them again! I will do my best to stear people away from them as well.
On April 8th, 2009, blueskyfd11 added the following:

From all I have read here from you "happy customers" I believe come next year you might not be so happy...word of caution......if you plan to order from them again, do it in Oct! Good luck to ya! P.S. Don't send them an e-mail! LOL
Positive Allwild
North, TX
April 7, 2009
This was my first time ordering from Heirloom seeds and I was very happy with my order; it was completely accurate with all seeds that I had ordered and included some very nice and thoughtful free seed packets. It was obvious the free seeds were given with a personal touch, and even included some native flowers. Also included with my order is detailed planting instructions and schedule that is very helpful.

Although I was anxious to receive my seeds; I was aware of the 35 day wait time and decided that I wanted to wait. I am all for buying from a small family owned company, especially one that has been preserving heirloom seeds and offering these open pollinated varieties that have not been genetically altered in any way. The seed packet prices are excellent and shipping charges are very low compared to most of the other companies I was looking at.

Even though they did take longer, I will happily use them again. After ordering, I later sent them an email asking if they had a date for delivery. They proptly responded letting me know that it would be in the order received but offered to cancel my order. They did not charge my credit card until the date they filled my order.
Negative loriann1971
Pittsburgh, PA
March 19, 2009
I ordered seeds at the end of January and still haven't received them. I placed a large order with this company and now my window for starting seeds has come to an end. I am very frustrated and forced to head to my local big box store for bedding plants. If they are so busy that it takes them more than a month to fulfill an order, you would think they are making enough money to hire a few helpers to package up orders. I will never use this company again.
Positive Sujiwan
Westminster, MD
March 19, 2009
I have been ordering seeds from Heirloom for the past several years. I have always been satisfied with my order and the speed of delivery. This year is quite unusual in the seed delay. In the past, the company indicated that the orders were typically shipped out shortly after (within a couple days) the selections were made and paid for online. That had been my prior experience. This year, I made my usual early February order and the website claimed that the minimum wait this year is 40 days. I also note that a new message states that they will no longer be accepting spring orders. Did 1000's more people who don't frequent retail stores for seed buying suddenly decided to grow their own food? Or Heirloom may be having a hard time getting all the seeds from sources or filling the orders from their stock-- or else there are fewer family members now involved in the company helping to get orders out. I'm still waiting for my order to arrive and hope that I don't pass out of the seasonal window needed to start some of these items under lights to plant out...
On April 4th, 2009, Sujiwan added the following:

Update: I sent a query about my Feb 11 order and was told that this family owned company was working 7 days a week, 15 hours per day to fill orders and that my order would not be arriving before mid to late April. Apparently they haven't hired any additional people to assist (?) I was advised that I could cancel my order if desired. There was a February article for a Pittsburgh paper citing this company as "being up to their armpits" in seed orders that early--this economy has been good for them, they said.
On April 24th, 2009, Sujiwan changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I want to note that I received my order today with everything requested plus a small freebie gift.
Luckily (!) I had a lot of seed left over from last year so that the very early vegetables could be planted and I was able to be (mostly) resigned to getting my Heirloom order later. I do believe this company was overwhelmed this year and want to give them the benefit of the doubt. Still, I think that some kind of proactive feedback to waiting customers would be appropriate. I think this experience also points out that it is wise not to place all your orders in the same basket--so to speak--and if you are concerned to have a fall back position (like extra seeds or going to another company when deadlines to plant are rapidly upon you. ) Flexibility is necessary.
Positive eaglesgarden
Primos, PA
February 5, 2009
I had a great experience with the company. I ordered as soon as their website came back up from their move to a new location.

I am going with all heirloom varieties for the first time ever, so I wanted to stay away from the big name nurseries to make sure I only had open pollenated varieties.

Anyway, I bought a lot of varieties, and they came within 3 weeks (plenty of lead time given my zone) and sent along (to my complete surprise) a variety of seeds for free. I got a Pink Oxheart Tomato, Black Acorn Squash, Jack O'Lantern Pumpkin, and Bibb Lettuce. It was obvious that they took note of my planting preferences. I bought two different lettuces, two different pumpkins, two different squash (one winter, one zucchini) and four different tomatoes.

Needless to say, this free seed has forced me to reevaluate my plan for this summer. I need to find ways to try all the different varieties. I hope to find some new favorites with this order.
Negative duchessdreams
Reno, NV
February 5, 2009
I have not yet received my seeds from this company so I will edit this when I do. So far it's been a pretty bad experiance with this company.

I was given a gift certificate from this company for Christmas and it took over a month for them to mail the paper certificate. When I got it all they need for billing it is the Id number writen on the certificate. I would have been much happeir if they had e-mail the info. Esspecaily when this is a company that does not put out catologs in order to save on paper useage.

When I placed my order they essitmated 28 days to process. Their website now has that up to 35. In addition, for a completly web based company their website needs work. It is difficult to find items and there are very few images of plants.

All in all I will not be ordering from them again.
On March 5th, 2009, duchessdreams added the following:

The seeds where finaly delivered on March 3rd. I had to make several phone calls to this company to get them to ship the order.
I do not recomend this company.
Negative pumpkin_grower
Sweet Valley, PA
January 28, 2009
My shopping experience with this company was unsatisfactory. I was looking for heirloom vegetable seeds in a search engine and came across this company. I started picking out seeds immediately and adding them to the shopping cart. When I was finished, I paid for my order in a hurry and waited. I later checked my mail and saw that their shipping was delayed for 28 days! (later updated to 35 days) I had asked if there was any way they'd be able to ship sooner and they came back with a "no" because it was their busy season. To be fair, they said they did have it posted on the website but I wasn't paying attention to it. I was concerned with just putting my order in and leaving. I don't mind the order being a little delayed, but 28-35 days is a ridiculous wait time!! I've never had to wait that long for seeds from any other company, busy season or not. I told them to keep my order this time, but I would not be returning again because they did offer to refund immediately. I told them their wait time was too long and that there were probably other customers like myself that didn't notice shipping wait times. They canceled my order with their next reply. I thought that was pretty ignorant of them when I was just pointing out their lack of customer service. Now, I'll be using Victory Seeds because they were excellent and shipped very fast last year at this time. All of their seeds were excellent too. I did feel a little bad about not using their company this year, but their seeds weren't coming in before I was putting and order in. I didn't think I came across as being that difficult of a customer. I guess you're not allowed to voice an opinion with this company. Reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode, but this guy would say, "No seeds for you!"
Positive Shanandoah
Craigsville, VA
April 5, 2008
I have been ordering herb, flower, and vegetable seeds as well as gardening supplies from Heirloom Seeds for several years. The seeds are excellent, the variety is nearly overwhelming, and the information provided is clear and accurate. In addition to being an heirloom seed source, they offer a wide selection of their products as organically grown seed. Heirloom Seeds often includes a packet of complimentary seeds similar to those you have ordered.
Positive cannaqueen
Mantua, OH (Zone 5a)
March 3, 2008
3/2/08....this company publishes a beautiful catalog with
heirloom seeds not found other places. Sent a small order
to this company and received my order later than usual.
When I did get the order, there was an apology with reason.
Extra seeds were sent with my order. Received refund
for out of stock item on my invoice. Great source of heirloom
vegetable seeds; limited flower seeds.
Positive glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL (Zone 7b)
January 7, 2008
Excellent source for vegetable seeds. They were shipped quickly and arrived quickly. Prices and shipping costs are very reasonable. In fact, the postage cost more than what I was charged for shipping. Also, sent a free packet of cantaloupe seeds -- yeaaa. Couldn't ask for more than this!
Positive LoriNY
Lyons, NY
June 15, 2007
This is our first time ordering from Heirloom Seeds. We have mixed reviews. The order arrived swiftly. The kale is wonderful and delicious! However, germination of the peas and beans was a big disappointment. We haven't contacted the company.

We also ordered from Seeds of Change for the first time this year as well. We have had fabulous results with Seeds of Change (organic). Excellent germination with superior results. Given the choice, while in no way affiliated except as satisfied customers, we'll go with Seeds of Change.
Positive gardenbumpkin
San Francisco, CA
May 11, 2007
So far, I've got really positive experiences with them. I've gotten my orders very quickly with no errors. And they are much generous with their "free gift" seed pkts than other seed companies I purchased from.

Neutral roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA (Zone 6b)
April 22, 2007
I was looking forward to my seeds, knowing they were coming from such a highly rated company, offering a good count at a good price. O ordered two kinds of peas and and two of beets. They were all planted out at the correct time in well prepared soil. They received adequate moisture also. One variety of pea finally made a weak stand after three weeks, the other variety only put up about 1% of what was planted. What did sprout only grew about two inches and just sat there for weeks on end, not growing.
On the beets, I got about 3% or 4% germination. The last unexpected hard freeze killed the pitiful remains of anything that was left. Total crop failure! Maybe just a fluke, who knows? But I really would have liked to see better germination. And no, I didn't contact the company, guess I should have, but I won't be ordering from them again. I have had better stands of veg from .10 cent seed packs from the Dollar Store.
Positive lackattack
McKeesport, PA (Zone 6a)
April 13, 2007
This company is practically in my backyard and I never knew about them until I saw them mentioned by our gardening expert in the Post-Gazette. I ordered two boxes of organic fertilizers, several morning glories (blue and grandpa ott's)and sunflowers (torch and aztec sun), and also ordered some interesting certified organic tomato seeds (stupice, besser, cherokee purple) along with Red brandywine. Very reasonably priced. They arrived less than 2 full days after I ordered online. Customer service emailed me quickly when I inquired about a ship date. Seeds come with detailed planting instructions. A big box that cost over $7 to ship via USPS only cost me a flat $3!! That is a deal!! I also got some free bonus seeds, zinnia, skyscraper sunflower, moneymaker tomoto and rio grande tomato. I have no idea about those tomatoes but I am excited to see what they are like! Will be planting all these seeds soon and will check back to let you know how the germination rate is. Bottom line: reasonably priced products, a cheap $3 flat rate shipping charge, quick service, tons of selection, plus free seeds. You cannot go wrong here!!
Positive petit_potager
April 7, 2007
Wonderful company! --- I have been purchasing from Heirloom Seeds for several seasons and they have established a consistent record of performance. Heirloom Seeds, along with one other vendor are at the top of my list for all-around excellence for domestic seed vendors.

There are several reasons for this:

They offer a tremendous selection. All the varieties of seeds they sell are open pollinated (non-hybrid) and untreated none of their seeds are genetically engineered.

Their customer service is responsive and efficient. They shipped my orders within 24-business hours and the orders arrive within the week.

They do not profit from shipping costs. (Some add as much as $25.00 for seed shipping) Their prices provide GREAT value at $1.25 to about $1.95 per packet. I dropped several reputable vendors due to their excessive prices and continuous price escalation that can become quite onerous in large multiples.

Heirloom has not short shipped, or back ordered any of my shipments; even when ordering 75 varieties at a time. The orders arrive quickly and in a readily accessible fashion to inventory upon arrival.

Lastly, their seeds are fresh with excellent germination rates! This is especially evident with root cubes, peat pellets and full trays of seedlings from numerous sources.

Yes, their web site is a bit visually challenged, but if the consequence of this is for them to remain one of the best values in the business; I will not complain too strenuously.
Positive AyUpPetal
West Mifflin, PA (Zone 6b)
March 31, 2007
I LOVE Heirloom Seeds! They have a great selection, including some organics, the prices are great, lots of helpful info, fast shipping and the seeds germinate with virtually no duds! Their selection of tomatoes is huge and they send free seeds with your order and base the selection on what you ordered and what they think you might like to try, so you know your order got individual attention. This is a spring must shop place for me.
Positive Juls123
Metro East, IL (Zone 6a)
March 19, 2007
Wonderful! Seeds were here in less than a week! They have some hard-to-find things and it's so fun to try these heirlooms. Can't wait til it's time to plant my garden.
Positive afghanshark
Austin, TX
December 16, 2006
I love Heirloom Seeds, they have been my main source for veggie seed for going on 8 years now. I have limited space and therefore mostly direct sow. Their germination rate is fantastic and they are always sending extras with your order - free seed, instructions, etc - all tailored to what you order.
Positive GardenHandsFeet
Winter Park, FL
July 3, 2006
Heirloom Seeds has been my vegetable garden choice for my church and personal garden for years. Every transaction that I have had with them has been very successful. When I order seeds, they get here in record time with some free seeds. Their seeds are top quality and have about a 98% sprouting outcome. The heirloom seeds help me support one of my personal missions of eco, historical and healthful action. I have taught many people and children about heirloom seeds. On-line Heirloom Seeds has the best historical and descriptive information on ALL of the plant seeds that they sell. They will always be my first choice for vegetable seeds.
Positive pinion
Eminence, KY
March 7, 2006
Ordered on a thursday after lunch. Order arrived monday. With after lunch orders on the same side of the coast it is rare that they ship the same day, so I was rather impressed by the speed. The order was for seeds only. The seeds were packaged well. The price was very reasonable and seed packets were of the expected size. Similar seed varieties at baker creek and sse would have been at least double the price as here and packets are of similar size. I ordered from baker creek and sse one week prior to this order and have not recieved their shipments yet. Also of note is that 6 free seed packets were included, the six packets were really cool varieties and not something common or generic. The 6 free packets, i figured were worth a couple of bucks a piece. Very satisfied, packaged well, fast shipping, free stuff, etc., etc.. If the seeds grow, and I expect them too, this transaction will be the best I have ever had.
On March 7th, 2006, pinion added the following:

I forgot to mentiion something important. They included instructions. Several pages. One for tomato and pepper germination, one general sheet for vegetables one for flowers, and someone took the time to highlight the varieties I had selected from the charts they provided. I think that is almost unbelievable and wonderful.
Positive giardiniere58
Pittsburg, KS (Zone 6a)
January 31, 2006
I ordered from Heirloom Seeds for the first time this year. I placed my order on Monday, and received my shipment on Saturday, and I live half-way across the country. I will definitely order again next year. Love their selection and prompt service.
Positive johngaltnh
January 25, 2006
I've ordered a number of times from Heirloom Seeds in recent years. Not only is the service prompt and the packaging solid but - most importantly - the seeds are of second-to-none quality. They include a free packet of seeds and their selection of the free packet seems to be based on what they can figure out about your interests based upon what you have ordered. In other words, these folks give individualized attention to each order. I cannot recommend them highly enough.