The scoop on 'Ferry-Morse Seed Company'

Ferry-Morse Seed Company

P.O.Box 1620
Fulton, Kentucky 42041 (United States)

Fax: 270-472-3402
Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on August 19, 2003:
We are a manufacturer/supplier, and we supply our products to more than 10,000 retail stores throughout all 50 states and Puerto Rico; we have no printed catalog.

We offer more than 750 varieties of seed. We are the exclusive U.S. supplier of Jiffy seed starter products to retailers, and we sell grass seed (packaged and bulk); Ferry-Morse-branded seed starter products; seed packets printed in English or Spanish, greeting cards with seed inside; novelty garden kits; shaker cans of wildflowers and other flower mixes including perennial mixes, and more.

Comments:

Negative Raywill
Morton Grove, IL
July 6, 2014
I purchased Canterbury Bells Seeds from Lowes about month ago and i found that the flowers are not Canterbury Bells it is just a wiled flowers, I have the pictures after it grows up to prove it. It is a scam.
Negative mrdoitall
Moores Mill, AL
January 18, 2014
This is all I need to know.>>> OWNED BY MONSANTO OR SEMINIS OR SELL SMALL PERCENTAGES OF SEEDS FROM THEM.
Positive 7AcreOrchard
Bluefield, WV
April 26, 2013
I was on a mission to find nasturtiums and scarlet runner beans for my garden this year. You can imagine how excited I was to have found a single packet with an assortment of seeds that included everything I was looking for! When I got home, it was disappointing to discover that the packet was missing my scarlet runners. I would've let it go, but I REALLY wanted those scarlet runners so I emailed Ferry-Morse. I got a pleasant response within minutes, including an apology and a promise to make the situation right. Two days later I received a healthy replacement package for the one I had purchased. Overall, Ferry-Morse is an excellent company with great customer service and clearly a desire to make their customers happy which is refreshing in this day and age.
Negative tablerocktina
Fountain Inn, SC (Zone 8a)
August 6, 2012
This year I planted sunflowers from Ferry Morse and had zero germination rate. Also planted spinach seeds and got great germination except what came up was certainly not spinach,but an aggressive weed. I am an experienced gardener. I emailed the company just asking for them to make some kind of response, but they never responded. They've lost my business, but I don't think they care.
Positive lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b)
May 25, 2012
I have used Ferry-Morse seeds on many occasions throughout the years. I find that germination rates are good and never have I been not satisfied with any on their products. If I need squash, cantaloupes, or cucumbers, I typically look for Ferry-Morse because they are very reliable. When I need larger amounts of seeds like okra and beans, I do not buy Ferry-Morse because they do not provide the amount of seeds that I need for planting and I will not buy several packets because I can get it cheaper by buying in bulk for other sources. In review, I am very happy with Ferry-Morse and happily buy their products.
Negative bicyclehead
Warren, MI
August 24, 2011
I have been gardening for years. I had never planted spinach or lettuce before so I had no idea what the seeds looked like. This was also the first time I planted seeds from this company. The plants that grew from the seeds from the Ferry Morse spinach and lettuce packets turned out to be nothing more than weeds. I don't like to eat weeds, complete waste of my time and money.
Negative FerryMorseRipMe
Gorman, NC
July 12, 2011
Ferry Morse is Pirate Company / resaling seeds that buy from anybody. I got 20 packs of "Texas Bluebonnet", but instead y got a WEED= Commelina diffusa [a very aggressive weed] invading my garden. I talked to them in the phone, about it. they said that they buy seeds from different people.. Blah.. blah. They will send me, the seeds I want. They never send me the seeds, that I paid for.
Ferry Morse are riping off people. And even if you talk to them, they do not fix the problem, because they are THIEFS
DO NOT BUY SEEDS FROM THESE CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!.
FERRY?MORSE=WILL ROBE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I plan to talk to LOWE's, to advise them about it.
Positive AS
(Zone 7a)
April 5, 2011
Posted on September 13, 2010, updated April 5, 2011
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated September 13, 2010
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated May 12, 2010
I've picked up their seed packets from time to time in stores, and they were fine. Not a huge selection of varieties, but you don't expect that from a seed rack. Had no problems with germination or seedling vigor. There were no GMO seeds among the packets I picked up. But I can't see any reason for them to market those to home gardeners, in any case.
On May 12th, 2010, AS added the following:

btw, folks, if you have flowers on your vegetables but no vegetables, you might want to look into pollination issues.
On September 13th, 2010, AS added the following:

I can't speak to philosophical objections about company links with commercial companies selling GMO seeds, because I haven't looked into it, but as far as the seed packets from the store, they're stated not to be GMO (http://homeharvestseeds.com/ferrymorsemain.htm)/

"Ferry-Morse Seeds are not chemically treated in any way.
All Ferry-Morse seeds are non-GMO.
Pelleted seeds are pelletized with an organic clay mix."

GMO seeds are really designed for commercial growers. (How many of us home gardeners would want or need "Round-up ready" seeds or similar?). They're also more expensive, so there's no good reason for most seed suppliers to try to sell them to home gardeners.

Guarantees are just guarantees. :) Many plant companies have them. It just means they'll replace the packet if they don't grow.
On April 5th, 2011, AS added the following:

Just in case my earlier posts giving info about GMO look a little nuts.... :) Some people were concerned earlier about Ferry Morse seeds being GMO, though those posts seem to have been edited since then.
Positive eaglewerks
Cowgill, MO (Zone 6a)
April 5, 2011
I live in Very rural Missouri. There are 17 stores within 20 miles of my village that carry a full selection of FM seed! Prices vary by store, but are generally $1 a packet at WalMart. I grow a garden every year, about 25' x 60'. I have found that the seed from FM is more correct to variety than other vendors. This year I had to buy all new seed, as my cleaning lady defrosted my freezer and threw away all my saved seed. I purchased about $100 of seed packets at WM this early Spring. I found that the pelleted "early girl tomato" seeds were crushed and damaged. I telephoned FM and their customer service representative and she apologized for the problem. She noted that she was also sprouting in jiffy pellets some of the same variety for her home garden. She asked what other varieties I grew and had a pleasant conversation. Two weeks later I received a envelope in the mail, containing two replacement packets of the Early Girl, plus packets of Rutgers, Boxcar Willie, Beefsteak, and a Large Cherry type. I also planted 72 plants each of FM Roma and FM Small Cherry. All are now about 4 inches tall in their jiffy pellets in flats. I still have to bring them in on cooler days. Today I just started my FM cucumber, zucchini, winter squash, and chard. I will be able to plant all of the above sometime in May (this being written in early April) . At that time I will sow all the rest of the seed I purchased. I have never had any problem with FM seed if I followed normal planting procedures. I have never had better customer service than that which I received from FM. Their Gardner's Helpline is: 1-800-283-3400, and is listed in fine print on each packet of seed.
Positive GuyInTheField
Cranbury, NJ
January 7, 2011
I purchased Ferry Morse black hollyhock and double pink hollyhock seeds at Lowes. The germination rate on the black hollyhock was near 100%. On the pink, however, it was about 25%. I sent an email to the company describing my experience. The customer rep responded that this particular hollyhock was being discontinued, but they managed to find some extra packets and ship them to me. They sent me 3 packets!! It was too late for me to plant them (zone 4) - but I'm sure I get good results when I plant them this spring. My friends and I have have bought Ferry Morse at other times, and have always had good results. I'm already planning my garden for this year (perennials) and already have 15 packets on my list. A friend of mine always says that with gardening, you can have all the conditions perfect and you don't get the results you expect. And, sometimes, when the conditions are terrible, and you expect nothing, you'd be surprised at what you get. All too often we forget that seeds are from a plant that is from nature. So, there is a chance that your seeds might not germinate. But, with a company like Ferry Morse, that stands behind its product, and will replace the seeds for free - why not take a chance. If it doesn't happen the first time, maybe the second time it will.
Negative sunnieday
Burbank, CA
September 11, 2010
I couldn't find any other ones where I was shopping...so I bought some - and they were sprouting fine until today - so I was going replant I am trying to go organic and hopefullly will eventually be self-sustaining with solar panels and growing my own food.
Neutral CountryCoach
Weeki Wachee, FL (Zone 9b)
July 28, 2010
Brooksville, FL; zone 9 Hot/humid

Reading all the comments in this thread has been very interesting. I would like to add my thoughts.

It is important to make sure the seeds purchased will work in your zone. Here I need “heat tolerant” seeds for veggies/tomatoes/etc. Herbs don't seem to be affected.

Any days with a temp over 86 deg is a "heat day" & we have plenty of them here. I don't buy F/M seeds for that reason but the Blue Lake Bush Beans did do well but were not in full sun all day. They got a lot of shade but it is still hot outside.

I found “heat tolerant” seeds from http://www.sustainableseedco.com
I found “heat tolerant” tomato seeds from http://www.ambersorganics.com (this may not be a good link but it would say Amber's Organics. I did a lot of research to find these seeds.

On the problem of lots of squash flowers but no fruit could very well be a pollination problem as bees are in short supply. The flowers can be hand pollinated with a Q-tip as both male/female are on the same plant. The female stem has a little bulge under the flower; male does not.

Seeds of change also sells “heat tolerant” seeds and I have a list that was given to me which I will gladly pass on to those of interest.

My email: emu392003@yahoo.com
Please put “need heat tolerant seed info from seeds of change” in the subject line so I will know what it is about & won't delete the email.

To get more bees/butterflies in your yards it is a great idea to plant flowers that attract them. Butterflies will pollinate but not to the same degree as bees. I only purchase flowers that are attractive to bees & butterflies for this reason.

I hope this information will be of a help to you all.
Negative FlowerFriends
Fair Lawn, NJ
July 16, 2010
We bought Giant, Violet Queen Zinna Seeds from Ferry-Morse Seed Co., then planted them, and carefully watered and nursed them!
What we got were poor, single, pinkish Zinna flowers! Real trash that should not be sold--talk about enforcing Truth-in-Advertising!
We were going to complain to the company, but after doing a google-search of the company, Everyone but us knew they sold junk seeds, which were not as pictured on their seed packs!
Do NOT buy seeds from Ferry-Morse! To see what we were sold, and what actually grew, please see the posted picture at: harryposter.com/FM01.jpg
Negative dianne99
Brookville, KS (Zone 5b)
May 11, 2010
Posted on May 11, 2010, updated May 11, 2010
I will never buy this brand of seed again, and do not recommend it to anyone. It is everywhere in stores, and I've planted dozens of packets over the years. The packets have pretty (but inaccurate) pictures, and Ferry-Morse probably stays in biz selling to inexperienced gardeners and ones who do not keep brand info. After reviewing my seed info, I finally figured out that they are the worst quality seed of any I have ever grown. Not just once, consistently, over the years, different species, ... Not just germination, but plant species quality--nearly weeds. If germination is good, the plants are of such poor quality that I end up destroying them. Or seeds are of a different variety than the pack said. I formerly thought this was my fault, but no, not when it happens every time (I plant at least 30 new-to-me species per year--and examined 3 years of records). I would not buy from them if I was a beginner, you'll only get discouraged. I would not buy their brand if I was experienced, resulting plants are very poor quality--some were so bad that I am now fighting them as weeds--got almost 100% germination on that lot...go figure. Buy any other brand, esp. in a store, they are all better...my records have proved this to me. Ferry-Morse needs to improve their quality, only their marketing and trusting buyers keep them afloat.
Negative chuckearthdog
West Lafayette, IN
August 22, 2009
Bought squash and pumpkin seeds for our garden in the spring. Plants were healthy and growth rate very good. A good amount of flowers early on and continued throughout the year. But no veggies!! The only plant that is producing a single veggie is a gourd!!! -it was supposed to be a yellow squash!! The lot number for the squash is 2009 lot01 for season USA 12/09.

Thinking that it was my garden or some other issue, I started a second batch in July with different soil conditions. Still same problem. Loads of growth, flowers...no vegetable production. Something's wrong with this batch.

A neighbor friend of mine had the same probs with Ferry Morse products ( good growth, flowers and no veggies at all) At least I got a single gourd for my trouble.

We're both pretty disappointed and won't be using Ferry Morse again.

I still have seeds left over if anyone else wants to try. But I'm thinking something got botched. Next spring I'll be using anything but Ferry Morse.

Positive GartenBee
August 10, 2009
I shop their seed at my local hardware store because of convenience. All have grown into healthy, producing vegetables despite fog problems we've been having lately. I even planted a slightly expired seed packet of crookneck squash and it too grew!
Positive nomorerain
Boynton Beach, FL
August 10, 2009
I am shocked to read all the negative comments re this company, Ferry Morse.
I planted Ferry Morse seeds almost exclusively when we lived up North and had excellent results.
Their Hybrid cucumbers were ALWAYS outstanding, I always planted two hills by the back patio, (I would stake them) and a few tomatoe plants also. What a set up we had. we also had a very large garden. BUT THOSE FERRY MORSE HYBRID CUKES WERE ABSOLUTELY THE BEST. Also used them for pickles, outstanding.!!!!!!!!!!
Negative loiseb
Wallkill, NY
June 17, 2009
With the rising cost of food, we decided to plant a garden. Great idea, but our mistake was using ferry morse seeds. We planted beans, peas, carrots, beets, cucumbers, and watermelon. We have hardly any plants. Very few seeds germinated. Waste of time for this year. You can bet next year we won't be using ferry morse products.
Positive sharon5840
East Prairie, MO (Zone 6b)
May 11, 2009
I have purchased Ferry Morse seed both locally in stores and over the internet. All of my results have been excellent. I have seed from years past that is still germinating good. Although you may not get an extreme variety the majority of my plantings are the old stand bys anyway. And Ferry Morse prices can't be beat on those. I do purchase a few new varieties of some seed each year from other sources just to test if they live up to their reviews. And I pay dearly for those seeds. Ferry Morse seed is Guaranteed To Grow and their phone number is 800-626-3392 should you have any problems. The most reasonably priced site for their seed I have found is The Pumpkin Nook, garden seeds are $2.49 per order.
Positive Farmerdill
Augusta, GA (Zone 8a)
April 2, 2009
I will pick up packets of Ferry Morse seeds from seedracks from time to time. This is current distribution system. Never had a problem with mislabeled seeds or poor germination. They do not have as wide a selection as on-line companies, but no seedrack does. They do have a few outstanding cultivars that are not found elsewhere, or are hard to find elsewhere. Thier Sugar Dots corn is superb in its class.
Negative bill247
Maricopa, AZ
April 1, 2009
We purchased Ferry-Morse several kinds of vegetable seeds. Also, we purchased Burpee seeds. When we planted them in our garden, Burpee seeds did great while Ferry-Morse took 3 times the time to rejuvenate and did not grow. I mean all Ferry-Morse seeds. When I called and I was told to buy a chemical which costs $12.00 and use it. What a stupid advice. I hope Ferry-Morse go out of business.
Positive Windy
Belleville , IL (Zone 6b)
January 5, 2007
I like the variety of seed that this company offers. Even though I have plenty of seeds that I have harvested from my own garden over the years, I can't help picking up something from their rack.
I had grown one of their morning glories years ago and really loved it. I couldn't remember where I had gotten the seeds originally until I saw their packet of Scarlet O'hara.
It isn't what the other companies have for this variety. It is very vigorous and puts on a much nicer display.
Positive sharkboy
Santa Fe, TX
August 17, 2006
My main garden interest is trying to grow tomatoes most of the year around. This is a real challenge in south Texas 90 deg. + weather. Most of the time I start my seed inside under a pair of fluorescent lamps with the AC set about 76 deg. I have tried a various of seed including Tropic,Cabernet, Greenhouse 656, Super Bush, etc. I have done a lot of just plain experimenting, such as starting seed both inside and outside under the shade of a tree. Outside, the seed were started in small pots on a large picnic table. After transplanting to the garden, the plants are shaded from direct sun by gunnysack material. The F/M Better Boy Hybrid has consistently been able to stand the heat better than any other tomato that I have tried. Daily watering is a must with fertilizing once a week. At this time (Aug.), my 11 plants are over two feet high and growing. I lost one plant to direct sun exposure. The seed started outside under the shade tree have done better than the ones started inside. It is just too much of a shock for the little plants to go from 76 deg. to 90 deg. plus temperature. I have a small greenhouse with raised beds for the winter plants. We will see what happens this winter !
Negative denisedelong
Naples, FL
July 18, 2006
I purchased a packet of seeds (Zinnia, Giant, Canary Bird) at Home Depot and for $1.79 plus tax got 8 seeds. No kidding. Is this a quality control issue or some extremely rare zinnia? The outside said 700 MG but what does that mean to me the average gardener.
No I can't take it back to the store for a refund, I've put them in starter pots already.
Not the end of the world but annoying.
I have emailed the company thru the Dave's Garden link. By the way when you go their company site their own email link isn't working.

Company representative comment on July 19, 2006:

On Jul 19, 2006 9:56 AM, Ferry-Morse Seed Company added:

Dear denisedelong,
At FERRY-MORSE SEED COMPANY, we strive to make all our products, people, and operations perfect for you - the home gardener. We only use seeds with germination rates higher than required by the USDA, and our quality-trained personnel fill packets with these seeds on high-speed machines built especially for our industry.
I do apologize that you received a packet that was obviously underfilled. Sometimes we do make mistakes among the tens of millions of seed packets we fill each spring; however, we've not been able to continue business now for 150-years by avoiding problems an error on our part creates for you or any other home gardener.
We always listen to any unpleasant experience that may occur (sorry, we're still not perfect even though we try); and, in any rare cases of underfilled packets, we always promptly send a replacement packet of the same variety directly to the customer's home.
Please email me with the exact variety you purchased, and with your mailing address so that I can have a fresh packet sent to you immediately. If it is too late for you to plant the seed this season, simply keep the packet in your home in a cool, dry place until next spring...the seed will still be just as viable 10-months from now.
Again, denisedelong, I apologize for this inconvenience for you; and, I sincerely hope the replacement packet will at least in some small way help to rectify this error on our part.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please note that you can always reach us at 1-800-283-3400 and at ferry-morse.com should you ever need us again.
Mike Tate.
Mktg Mgr.
FERRY-MORSE SEED COMPANY.
601 Stephen Beale Drive.
Fulton KY 42041.

Positive petit_potager
May 16, 2006
These are the old reliable seeds planted by our Grand Parents before high-speed internet surfing was in vogue. Their first price list, printed in 1856, preceded the U. S. Department of Agriculture by almost 30 years. They have stayed in business by selling viable seed. Gardeners rely on the seed they plant. They expect it to germinate and grow into the blooming or productive plants. Ferry-Morse guarantees their seed to grow. Red Rock Nursery offers free shipping on their Ferry-Morse seed.
Positive zebra205
Glen Oaks, NY
August 24, 2002
They're ok, but you find their seeds are pretty common and can be purchased elsewhere. Shipping charge is pretty steep even for the smallest order, under $20.00. Order some grass seed from them, but asked them to let me know if the items were in stock. No one took the time to answer my question, but they didn't charge me either. Bad thing is they do not have a telephone number for customer service if you need to talk to someone.
Positive mystic
Ewing, KY (Zone 6a)
December 4, 2001
I have used there seeds for several years even before I really started growing allot of things from seeds and have always had good germination with them. They don't have allot of unusal things but all the seeds a new gardener would want to try.
Neutral mikepiper
Circleville, OH (Zone 8b)
November 29, 2001
I have ordered in the past, not much variety to choose from.
Seeds did okay.
Neutral gardenwife
Newark, OH (Zone 5b)
November 28, 2001
I have had good germination with their seeds. They have a fairly basic assortment of perennials - not the best for variety.

Neutral willylesliez
January 1, 2001
I recently moved and called to request a current catalog. I was told that they no longer did catalog sales to home gardeners. Too bad.
Positive StephenSchuck
July 1, 2000
We had a dry summer and quite a few seeds from Ferry Morse died as sprouts or didn't even sprout. I e-mailed Ferry-Morse and they sent replacements for next year.
Positive jeanineybonner
January 1, 2000
I would like to say I have been very satisfied with this company. All of my seeds have grown up to big beautiful plants. Both ornamental and agricultural seeds thrived.
Positive ashley367
July 1, 1998
They are a wonderful company! All the seeds that I've ordered from them have thrived in my garden! And their shipping charges are great, too!