The scoop on 'K Connell's Dahlias (formerly Connell's Dahlias)'

K Connell's Dahlias (formerly Connell's Dahlias)

10616 Waller Rd E
Tacoma, Washington 98446-2231 (United States)

Comments:

Positive GEC
Boston, MA
April 9, 2010
I live in MA, and have been dealing with Connell's since the early 90's. They were the first company I ordered dahlias from, and I am still ordering from them. I love them!!! I have NEVER had a problem with them. Yes, sometimes I did receive a very small tuber, but if I had a problem with it, it was handled PROMPTLY and HAPPILY. Some of my smallest tubers grew into very large clumps, so size is not always an issue. Some large tubers were not very good tuber producers at all. With Connell's help, I have become an extremely adept dahlia grower. I know when I am at fault for a failure, and when I am not. When I am the one at fault, I do not expect something for nothing. I just reorder and do better the next time around. As for people who work there having bad attitudes...well, dealing with the public can be frustrating and stressful. I am always kind and positive and am treated the same way in return. If you want great product at a very good price, order from Connell's. You will not regret it.

Gregg
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
March 12, 2010
We have purchased dahlia tubers from this company for years and have always had positive results. We have found their prices to be very competitive. Our only wish would be to have a cultivar index in the catalog and a category for shorter statured "border dahlias" 2.3'-3' or less. We plant our dahlia tubers in nursery pots in a greenhouse and transplant them to the garden when threat of frost is past. The results are flowers for many varieties June-October.
Positive dahliaduo
Centralia, WA
November 21, 2009
Connell's is clearly responsible for giving us the "bug" for growing dahlias. Their display at the Puyallup Fair each year has always caught our eyes, and we began our new love, thanks to them. We have so enjoyed their open house each August, but now are saddened to see them winding down on their family-run operation. Best to them in all regards, with our thanks. They've backed their product 100 percent, have always been fair to deal with.
Negative yogendra
Watsonville, CA
October 24, 2009
Out of 9 tubers I received, only one ever got to bloom. Two wilted and died while other plants flourished nearby. Four never came up. The rest that did were weak and puny. I tried to contact them by phone and email and they never responded. BTW, I only ordered 6 tubers. Three were duplicates--maybe Connell's had doubts about their quality. I am experienced at growing dahlias. Connell's is not worth dealing with. BTW, their delivery date is too late for coastal California.
Negative misspurse
Graham, WA (Zone 8a)
November 1, 2008
The guy was just not friendly and as beautiful as the nursery was he was unpleasant although his price was great for a huge long lasting beautiful. So as far as product...Excellient. Service wise! Stinky
Positive dahliadigger
Solon, IA
October 22, 2008
I married into a family of dahlia growers forty years ago and have been buying tubers from Connell's for about fifteen years. We have been thrilled with the variety and quality of dahlias that we received year after year. The quality and service is excellent!
Positive colliwobbles
(Jana) Shoreline, WA (Zone 8a)
September 22, 2008
I ordered from them for the first time this year, and the 'Show n Tell' dahlia is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

I already have my order placed for 2009!
Neutral trustmissy
Bay City, MI
July 17, 2008
I ordered a collection of eight dahlias. Only three out of eight had eyes that I could see and the tubers were very small. I let the company know and they sent me replacements, which were also questionable. So far only four of the dahlias plants are decent size. The rest of them do not look like they will even grow larger than the size of a weed. I got my first bloom today and it is misshapen and quite unlike the picture of the dahlia, named Patches.
Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
April 5, 2008
This was the first order from Connell's and I can't saying anything bad at all! The 3 tubers I ordered where nice, the one was exceptionally HUGE. All 3 are very healthy. This is my first year ordering Dahlias mail order. I placed 3 small orders with 3 different companies...all with great reviews in DG GW...I have been impressed each and every time!
Customer service-superb!
Quality of plant material-GREAT!
I will definitely be ordering from these guys again!
Positive willow22552
Bath, NY (Zone 5b)
March 7, 2007
Order from them every year and the tubers are the best. Their customer service can not be beat.
Positive Poochella
Issaquah, WA (Zone 7a)
November 26, 2005
I've ordered from Connell's or purchased tubers at the NW Flower and Garden Show several years running. All tubers arrived promptly in Spring, and grew true to name. I enjoyed great service in person at their wonderful open house and a quick response to email questions as well.
Connell's will remain one of my staple dahlia suppliers.
On April 24th, 2007, Poochella added the following:

2007 and probably 2006 too: Another wonderful shipment from Connell's arrived with the usual 100% accuracy and quality. All tubers are in excellent shape except one gashed, but likely growable; all are labelled and eyed. Consistent quality and service found here year in, year out.
On April 24th, 2007, Poochella added the following:

2007 - a couple hours later: I spoke too soon! In today's mail UNASKED FOR arrived another plump sprouted replacement tuber of the gashed one mentioned above. I had emailed Connell's just to make note of it, but that I thought it would grow. Such customer service is a treasure. I'm ready to order for 2008 from them!
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
April 21, 2005
I order from them every year. I like the website and the tubers are always healthy and are shipped at the proper time with good instructions. Plus they always send a free one. I love free stuff!
Positive dahliamom
August 6, 2004
If ever in need of dahlias, Connell's is the place to go. Every year they have a week long open house that is just amazing. You are able to walk through their fields (Waller Rd) and see the different variety of dahlias they have to offer. It is so refreshing to see a family run company that puts their dedication into the flowers that they create. At anytime I have had questions, someone has always been there to help me. I received two new varieties this year, Alexander Brodi and Madissen Jayne, what stunning and beautiful flowers. They have hearty stalks, bright green foliage, and perfect petals on each flower. Connell's is a place I will go to time and time again to get my tubers. In the summer, they even offer fresh cut flowers at a very reasonable price.
Positive tomsoule
December 13, 2003
I have ordered both dahlias and gladiolas from Connell's at the Puyallup fair for several years. I have always received my bulbs and tubers in great shape and in a timely manner for planting.

I use the website for mostly for identifying varieties that I have been given, but have ordered from it, also. Someone else wrote that the picture section is a little unwieldy and that is true, but there are a lot of flowers there!
Positive oregonzone8
Beaverton, OR
June 7, 2003
Received first order this spring. Great prices, great tubers (all up and growing beautifully now), and great communication by email when I asked a question.
Positive cowgardener
Southport, ME
February 20, 2003
We've purchased tubers from Connell's which produced beautiful plants in the garden. Though nice, the catalog does lack in two areas, most noticeably the absence of an index which makes for some tiresome searches as well as a separate section for "bedding size" or dwarf dahlias say 3' or less. Their website is user friendly but the photos take a while to download. We're happy with our encounters with Connell's.
Positive tulipgrower
February 17, 2003
I've ordered on-line and received exactly what I ordered in a timely manner. I've also been to their dahlia farm and will order from them again without hesitation.