The scoop on 'Leuthardt Nurseries, Inc'

Leuthardt Nurseries, Inc

East Moriches, New York 11940 (United States)

Comments:

Negative 5finadene3
Lock Haven, PA
June 14, 2010
I ordered several trees from this nursery on February 19th, 2010. I asked for delivery in early April. The plants never arrived. When I called them in mid April, they said that they couldn't find my order and they would check some more and get back to me. They called several days later to report that my order could not be filled because of warm weather that occurred following Easter, which caused many plants to leaf out early. While I understand their dilemma, I don't understand their handling of the situation. I already had the holes dug. I had to scramble to find the trees that I wanted and had to order form three other companies to get what I needed. Companies that I had already ordered from, so I had additional shipping charges. I have ordered from Leuthardt's in the past and received very good service and excellent plant material. Unfortunately, the past does not make up for what I had to go through this year while I was planting a new orchard!
Negative regnorris
Sharon, CT
May 23, 2010
I have ordered fruit tree whips for espaliering from this company for the past five years. They always take my order and promise shipment but have never yet sent anything. When I call to inquire there's always some excuse "rabbit damage"," too warm a spring", etc. Finally I have ordered from Stark's and have launched my espaliers but I could have been picking fruit by now!! Am I the only one to have this experience?
Positive theaceofspades
Brentwood, NY
May 28, 2009
I drove out to the nursery last fall to get an Atlantic Queen pear tree. They have interesting espalier trees to see. The pear tree bloomed this spring and the Currants have berries. The Burbank plum has leafed out and growing well. The trees are dug by hand so if there is a large order call ahead.
Positive Miggy
Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
January 21, 2004
I have been to this nursery a few times to purchase plants for clients of mine.
They have always been:
1.friendly
2.thorough
3.knowledgable
4.profesional
5.dedicated
6.inspiring

The trees are always prepared and pruned to perfection, they are healthy and well formed. They helped me with loading and gave good advice freely, as well as a very well written booklet on the care of small fruit trees. This is a terrific place to get fruit trees, and a beautiful nursery.
Positive AnneCBertinuson
May 1, 1999
Apples, pears, peaches, apricots, including many interesting antique varieties, as dwarf, semi-dwarf or standard, and choice of regular or premium grade. Some small fruits and grapes. They also sell espaliers, which I've never ordered, but Kathryn S. White wrote glowingly of them in "Onward and Upward in the Garden". Their prices are reasonable, and service is superb - acknowledgement of order along with a well-written booklet on planting, so you can prepare your site, as well as a postcard sent out when they actually mail your stuff, which arrives carefully packed. I ordered from them 10 years ago and was very satisfied. This year, I'm again in a situation to plant trees, so I placed a big order. The bareroot trees were perfectly pruned (they do it just before they send them off) and healthy. All are leafed out about 3 weeks afterplanting. They are small, don't have a web site or email, but well worth dealing with.